Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

*** *** ***

Authors' note: Posting this one a little early tonight because I might not be back in time to post it. So as a treat to all you guys, you're getting the chapter a little early. It's a little short but we had to do it this way. Hope you guys enjoy the chapter! -Amy

Later that evening after curfew, most of the students were tucked away in their beds, but Neville Longbottom was seated at one of the back tables in the Gryffindor common room trying to finish his essay for potions. He was going to ask Hermione for help, but she was more than a little preoccupied with Harry and Neville hadn't wanted to interrupt. And besides, if he finished this essay now, he'd be able to spend all of Sunday with Ginny. He still couldn't believe that she actually loved him back.

He couldn't stop daydreaming about their day in Hogsmeade together. Despite Malfoy bothering them, the day had been perfect.

He heard footsteps on the stairs and he looked up to see who could possibly be up at this hour and was surprised to see his girlfriend. He opened his mouth to say something, but the words didn't come. She was looking over her shoulder as if she was making sure no one was around.

She didn't even stop to see he was in the corner, only hurried out of the common room.

Neville decided to follow her, wondering if perhaps she was heading to the kitchens for a midnight snack. He wanted to make sure she was okay and perhaps they could share some ice cream or something.

He stayed about twenty paces behind her as she quickly headed for what looked like the Astronomy Tower.

She hadn't mentioned any Astronomy assignments that she was working on so he couldn't imagine why she was heading up there. He stood back when she reached the top of the stairs to make sure she wasn't followed.

"I was beginning to think you were going to stand me up," Malfoy said putting his arms around her.

"I told you I'd be here," Ginny nearly melted against him. She couldn't figure out why she wanted to be with him so badly.

Neville felt as if he was going to be sick as he watched Malfoy press his lips to Ginny's.

He felt even sicker as she put her arms around his neck and kissed him back- far more passionately than she'd ever kissed him.

"You belong with me," Draco said resting his forehead on hers. "You know that, right?"

Ginny didn't answer.

"Longbottom could never make you feel this way," Draco drawled. "He wouldn't know how."

"He's sweet to me," Ginny offered weakly.

"You need more than that," Draco said nuzzling her neck.

Ginny could only let out a strangled whimper.

Neville leaned against the wall, finding it hard to breathe. This couldn't be happening. She'd told him she loved him.

"You'll be mine, Red." Draco said in a commanding tone.

"Draco," Ginny protested.

"I can give you anything," he said. "And everything you could ever want."

"I just---I just----want you," Ginny finally said.

Draco crashed his lips onto hers in reply, nearly ripping at her robes.

"Ginny," Neville said angrily.

The redhead gasped and pulled away. "Neville!"

"I was worried about you," Neville said quietly. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I uh..." Ginny looked over at Draco, who wore a smirk.

"How long?" Neville asked. "How long have you been doing this behind my back?"

"Go back to bed, Longbottom," Draco said dismissively. "Red and I have better things to do."

"Fuck you, Malfoy," Neville stepped into the Tower.

Ginny moved to stand between them. "Neville, please. I can explain..."

"Explain what?" Neville shook his head. "There's nothing to explain here."

Ginny reached for him. "Neville, I never meant to hurt you."

"You have a really funny way of not wanting to hurt someone," Neville snapped, pulling away. "I hope you're happy with yourself. He'll only hurt you in the end, Ginny."

"Neville, we can get past this," Ginny sobbed.

"No," Neville shook his head disgustedly. "No we can't."

"Good night, Longbottom," Draco said waving at him. "Run along to bed like a good little boy."

"Draco shut up!" Ginny screamed at him.

"All I wanted was to be with you," Neville said to Ginny. "And now I can't even look at you."

"Neville please," Ginny pleaded.

"What?" Neville asked her. "Please what? Forgive you?"

"It's not what it looks like," Ginny said weakly.

"So, I guess I didn't see him kiss you," Neville said sarcastically. "And I didn't see you kissing him back. I didn't see his hands all...all over you. And you telling him that all you wanted was him?":

"That's what she's saying," Draco answered for her. "I win, you lose."

Ginny turned to Draco. "Leave it, Draco."

Neville shook his head. "Good riddance. Good riddance to both of you."

"Neville," Ginny cried out. "Don't go!"

Neville ignored her as he raced away, wanting to put as much distance between himself and the two up in the tower as possible.

"What have I done?" Ginny asked weakly.

"You did what was right," Draco told her.

Ginny shook her head. "I can't do this."

"Do what?" Draco asked. "After Longbottom just dumped you, you're not even sticking around?"

Ginny shook her head. "I can't do this right now, Draco. I hate what I just did to him."

"So this was all just a waste?" he demanded.

"I just need some time, Draco," Ginny said wiping at her eyes. "If you feel about me like you say you do, you'll give me that."

She had him there. "Will you ever come back?"

Ginny opened her mouth to say something when she heard a loud noise downstairs. "What was that?"

"How would I know?" Draco asked irritably.

Ginny grabbed her wand and walked out of the tower. She gasped when she saw Neville's lifeless body at the foot of the stairs. "NEVILLE!"

Even Draco was shocked. "Shite..." he said, his eyes wide.

Ginny knelt down beside Neville and placed two fingers on his neck. She was relieved when she felt a pulse. "We need to get help."

"We'll get blamed for this!" Draco exclaimed.

"That's all you care about?" Ginny asked in disbelief.

"What else do you want me to do?" Draco snapped at her.

"Stay with him until I get back," Ginny hissed. "I'm going to get help."

Draco watched as she ran off then looked at Neville Longbottom. The boy's eyes were closed, his skin already pale.

Ginny raced off toward Gryffindor's common room. She rang the bell by the fireplace that would alert Professor McGonagall of an emergency. She also ran up to the boys' dormitory and banged on the door. "RON! HARRY!"

Her brother, rubbing his eyes, was the first at the door. "What is it?" he yawned.

Ginny grabbed at his arm. "It's...its Neville. Ron---he's----he's---"

"What?" Ron wasn't making any sense. "What happened to Neville?"

Harry stood behind Ron. "What's going on?"

"Neville was attacked," Ginny sobbed. "You have to come help me!"

Ron paled. "Not Nev---"

"Please," Ginny begged. "Come now!"

Ron nodded. "Let me get my wand."

Harry had already grabbed it. "Let's go," he said tersely.

Professor McGonagall was standing in the Common Room waiting for them. Ron told her what had happened and she sighed. "You three should stay here."

Ron shook his head. "No way. He's our friend, Professor. Besides, Ginny knows where he is. She found him."

Harry didn't say anything, only followed them as they left the Common Room.

Despite his better judgment, Draco had stayed with Longbottom. He regretted his decision though the moment he saw that Ginny had returned with McGonagall and Potter and Weasley.

"You son-of-a-bitch!" Ron ran toward him. "Did you do this?"

"Mr. Weasley," McGonagall said sternly.

"Ron," Ginny held him back. "Please!"

McGonagall summoned a stretcher. "Mr. Weasley, please go alert the Headmaster. Do not stop for anything. Go right now."

"Yes, ma'am," Ron said glaring at Draco before running out.

"I'm going to stay with him," Ginny vowed reaching for Neville's hand.

"We are taking him to the hospital wing," McGonagall said crisply. "Mr. Malfoy, you may return to your dormitory. I expect an explanation on why you were up here tomorrow before breakfast."

"Fine," Draco said glaring at Ginny.

Harry watched him go silently, then looked at the redhead. "You were up here with him, weren't you?" he asked coolly.

Ginny nodded still holding onto Neville's hand. It was so cold.

"Draco," Harry clarified. "Not Neville. He came after you and found out, didn't he?"

"I didn't want him to find out like this," Ginny said softly. "I feel guilty enough as it is, Harry."

Harry only shook his head.

"Miss Weasley, you know it is against school rules to be out of your dormitory after curfew?" McGonagall admonished.

"I know," Ginny said softly.

"We'll talk about this in the morning," McGonagall said. "For now, I'm taking Longbottom to the hospital wing. You are welcome to join me."

"Thank you," Ginny stood up as Neville was lifted onto the stretcher.

Harry stayed behind looking for any clue as to who was responsible for this latest attack.

He knew he probably should have awoken Hermione, but he'd been in a rush to come up here. He sank to his knees and looked carefully over the stone floor.

He picked up something strange that was on the base of the steps. It was an earring. A radish earring.

He hadn't been around the school all that long but there was only one person who would wear something like that. "Luna," he said quietly.

Ron came running back a few moments later. "Did they take Nev?"

"Yeah," Harry stood up. "Is this Luna's?" he showed Ron the earring.

"Yeah," Ron smiled. "Wonder what it's doing here."

"What if she was here?" Harry asked.

The smile fell from Ron's face. "She's here every other day for Astronomy, Harry."

"Yeah but wouldn't someone have noticed it?" Harry asked as Ron snatched the earring from his hand.

Ron glared at him. "Harry, you know Luna. She's not capable of hurting anyone!"

"I don't know her as well as you do," Harry crossed his arms.

"Damn right you don't," Ron pocketed the earring. "She isn't capable of something like this, Harry. Malfoy was the one standing over Neville."

Harry opened his mouth to respond when Dumbledore appeared beside them.

"Were you able to find anything, Harry?" Dumbledore asked.

"I found an earring, sir." Harry replied. "Ron's got it."

"May I see it, Mr. Weasley?" Dumbledore asked.

Ron glared at Harry again and reluctantly handed it over to the headmaster.

"This looks familiar," Dumbledore commented.

"It's Luna's," Ron muttered. "I think she dropped it after class."

Dumbledore nodded. "I'm sure you're right. You can give it back to her."

"Thank you sir," Ron put it in his pocket.

"I've notified Sirius about this," Dumbledore told Harry.

"Is he coming here?" Harry asked, forgetting Ron was there.

"Sirius?" Ron asked in confusion. "Wait a minute- Sirius Black?"

"Yes, Ron," Harry said rolling his eyes. "Remember? His name was cleared ages ago."

"Oh yeah," Ron said sheepishly. "But what does he have to do with all this?"

"He's an Auror," Harry replied.

Ron sobered up again. "I can't believe they got Neville," he said quietly.

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "Perhaps you two should return to your dormitory."

"Come on mate," Harry said.

"Harry, I'd like to meet you in my office tomorrow morning," Dumbledore called out.

"Yes sir," Harry answered.

Ron was silent as he and Harry made their way back to Gryffindor Tower.

"I have to go talk to Hermione," Harry muttered when they'd gotten back into the common room.

"Luna didn't do this Harry," Ron told him. "Drop it."

"I didn't say anything about Luna!" Harry held up his hands.

"You didn't have to," Ron retorted. "I know the way your mind works."

"You drop it," Harry warned him. "You have no idea what we're dealing with here, Ron."

"Malfoy's behind this," Ron said quietly. "He's the one Dumbledore should be investigating."

"That may be," Harry answered. "We'll find out sooner or later."

"I'm going to bed," Ron said.

"See you," Harry replied absently.

He didn't want to think Luna was capable of this, but for some reason Harry didn't want to write off finding her earring as a coincidence.

He headed up the stairs, hoping Hermione wouldn't be too pissed at him waking her up. But he did need to share this with her.

Unfortunately, he knew that there was no way he could get on the girls' staircase. He didn't know how he was going to be able to get to her.

After stewing for several moments, he conjured up some pebbles and started tossing them at the door, hoping to wake at least one of the females in the room.

Lavender stuck her head out of the door a few moments later and she had some strange cream all over her face. "WHAT?" she bellowed.

"Can you get Hermione for me?" Harry asked from the bottom of the staircase.

Lavender sighed. "Fine, but you are interrupting my beauty sleep."

"So sorry," Harry rolled his eyes.

Lavender slammed the door and Harry waited for what seemed like forever. Finally, Hermione came out wrapped up in her dressing gown. Her hair was pulled back in a sloppy ponytail. "Hi," she yawned.

"Sorry to wake you," Harry said. "I've got some bad news."

"What?" Hermione asked. "I don't know I can take anymore bad news."

"Neville was attacked," Harry said as she stepped down in front of him. "Just a little while ago, by the Astronomy Tower."

Hermione's hand flew to her mouth. "Oh no..."

Harry sighed. "He found out about Ginny and Malfoy right before that, apparently."

Hermione had wanted him to find out, but not like this. "Did you survey the scene?" Hermione asked putting aside her personal feelings for a moment and trying to think like an Auror.

"I found a radish earring," Harry answered, taking her hand and leading her over to the sofa.

"Luna," Hermione whispered.

"Ron got all defensive as soon as I told him I found it," Harry said. "But I can't let go of this suspicion..."

Hermione nodded. "You remember me telling you about that interesting necklace she had on?"

"That pendant?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "I still haven't found anything on it. But I keep thinking it means something."

"I guess, keep checking it out," Harry said. "I have to meet with Dumbledore in the morning."

"I feel so bad about Neville," Hermione said softly.

"Me too," Harry nodded. "We'll get him back though. We'll get all of them back."

"We will," Hermione vowed.

Harry put an arm around her.

Hermione relaxed against him.

"It's going to be okay." he said.

"Did you recognise that man with Viktor today?" Hermione asked.

"I couldn't see him," Harry admitted. "His cloak was pulled too far over his face."

"And what does Bellatrix Lestrange have to do with this?" Hermione asked. "I thought she was still in Azkaban?"

Harry snorted and shook his head. "Out on good behaviour... my arse."

"You're kidding!" Hermione exclaimed in outrage. "She was instrumental in Voldemort returning to his full strength...how could they let her out?"

"Fudge was an idiot," Harry answered. "And Scrimgeour is just as bad."

"Tell me about it," Hermione said looking up at him. "She...she did some horrible things to Muggleborn."

"If Sirius and I have anything to say about it, we'll find a way to put her back in there," Harry's voice was tight with anger.

"I want to help," Hermione said.

He nodded. "If you put your mind to it, I bet you could do it one handed."

Hermione smiled at him. "You know...it means a lot to me that you have faith in me as an Auror."

"You're going to do great," he reassured her, happy they were back together.

"Are you looking forward to your assignment?" Hermione asked him. Now that she knew how he felt about her, she didn't feel quite so bad about him leaving.

"Yeah," Harry said, not wanting to admit that he wasn't looking forward to it as much now that he'd met her.

"I'm going to have to get myself an owl," Hermione said smiling at him. "So I can send you letters."

Harry nodded. "I'd write back."

"And we'll have holidays," Hermione said hopefully.

Harry smiled back at her. "And when you finish school..."

"What?" Hermione asked her heart full just listening to him talk about their future together.

"Maybe we can partner up again," Harry was getting ahead of himself but couldn't help it.

"What about Sirius?" Hermione asked leaning against him, her head resting on his chest.

"He's talked about taking on fewer assignments," Harry answered. "Doing more research like Lupin does..."

Hermione smiled. "I like being your partner."

"Same here," Harry pulled her a bit closer.

"Is it wrong to feel some happiness when all this is going on?" Hermione asked thoughtfully.

"I don't think so," Harry answered. "I mean, I really didn't have the chance yet to get to know Neville, but he always seemed happy for us."

"He did," Hermione said. "I can't believe he was attacked, Harry."

Harry shook his head. "You'll probably have to come with me to see Dumbledore in the morning."

"Should we tell him about the pendant?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "If you think it warrants a mention."

"I don't want to implicate Luna," Hermione said quietly.

"I don't either," Harry answered. "I think we need to tell him what we overheard in Hogsmeade as well- with Krum."

"Krum," Hermione said with a sigh.

"If I ever see him again," Harry began.

"You will," Hermione interjected. "And we'll throw him in Azkaban."

"That's the spirit," Harry couldn't help but grin at her.

"Do you mind if we stay here for awhile?" Hermione asked, closing her eyes.

"Fine with me," Harry gazed down at her.

He didn't know why she'd suddenly stopped wanting him to declare his feelings for her and he wasn't about to ask why she'd had a change of heart. He hated fighting with her.

"We might fall asleep down here," he said, feeling drowsy as well.

"Doesn't matter," Hermione whispered.

Harry tightened his hold around her and leaned back against the arm of the sofa.

It wasn't long before they were both fast asleep.

***

Harry awoke awhile later and reached for his girlfriend but she wasn't there. "Hermione?"

He rubbed his eyes before reaching for his glasses. "Hermione?" he called again.

Her robe was on the floor and to Harry's horror; there was blood on the collar.

He grabbed it to examine it closer and without even thinking, ran up the stairs to the girls' dormitory.

He was able to get up the stairs without incident and he could hear Hermione's screams coming from the closed door. He tried the door and it was locked.

"Come now, Harry," Voldemort's voice called out behind him. "You didn't really think you'd be able to keep her safe, did you?"

Harry turned to face the creature he thought he'd killed several years ago.

But, there was no one behind him. Voldemort's cold laugh echoed in his ears.

"She's quite pretty for a Mudblood," Voldemort's voice taunted him.

"Where the hell are you?" Harry shouted, shoving his entire weight against the door.

"In your mind," Voldemort cackled. "She's going to be my next victim."

"No way," Harry swore.

"How about you say goodbye first?" Voldemort asked. "Open the door...."

Harry finally pushed the heavy door open and saw Hermione in the middle of the room.

Hermione's face was bruised and scratched and she was tied to the bed. She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "How could you do this?"

"I didn't--" Harry began. "I didn't do this..."

Hermione shook her head. "You let him get me. You gave me to him!"

"I would never do that!" Harry approached and tried to untie her.

"You don't love me," Hermione said angrily. "You used me!"

"That's not true!" He protested.

"He's not going to let me go!" Hermione cried out.

"I'll get you out of here," Harry pulled at the knots around her wrists.

Voldemort appeared out of the darkness. "I can't let you do that, Potter. She's mine now."

"She is not," Harry desperately worked harder at the knots.

"What made you think she'd be different?" Voldemort taunted. "Everyone who loves you pays the price, don't they. Your poor parents...."

"You leave my parents out of this," Harry said through clenched teeth. "And you let Hermione go!"

"I'm afraid I can't do that," Voldemort said waving his hand and causing Harry to fall off the bed. Voldemort touched Hermione's cheek with his bony hand. "So soft..."

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" Harry tried to get up.

Voldemort grinned at Hermione. "A kiss before dying..."

Hermione sobbed as Voldemort drew closer. "How could you let him do this to me Harry?"

Harry struggled to get to his feet. "LEAVE HER ALONE!"

"Harry!" Hermione shook him. "Harry, wake up..."

"No!" Harry shook his head. "Leave her alone!"

Hermione shook him again. He'd been thrashing about in his sleep and he kept calling out that phrase. "Harry...."

His eyes snapped open and he sat up, his chest heaving.

Hermione reached for his hand. "Bad dream?"

"You're okay," Harry stared at her, his eyes focusing.

She nodded. "I'm fine. Harry---"

He pulled her close. "Harry---you're scaring me..."

He hugged her and was relieved when she put her arms around him.

"Want to talk about it?" Hermione asked softly, rubbing his back soothingly.

"It's just... he had you," Harry said. "Voldemort had you and you thought I let him do it."

Hermione pulled away and looked at him. "Harry---"

Harry shook his head. "I can't let anything like that happen."

"He's gone, Harry," Hermione said softly. "He can't hurt you or me or anyone else anymore."

"But other people can," Harry said. "Krum can hurt you- he wants to hurt you."

Hermione rested her forehead on his. "We won't let him. I know I'm safe with you, Harry."

"I can't always keep you safe," he said.

"I'm not helpless," Hermione reminded him. "I can hold my own, Harry."

"I know," he argued. "But--"

Hermione kissed him. "We'll protect each other."

Harry nodded. "Okay..."

"And I'd never blame you," Hermione added. "Never."

"It was really hard," Harry said. "Aside from Sirius, I had no one else during that time."

"You had the weight of the world on your shoulders," Hermione said softly.

"I couldn't go through that again," Harry said.

Hermione hugged him tightly, wishing she could take away his pain.

Harry didn't know what to do, if he should walk away now or stay.

As if she could read his mind, she whispered in his ear, "Don't you push me away because of a bad dream, Harry."

Harry turned to look at her. "Hermione--"

"You deserve to be happy," Hermione said, tears shining in her eyes. "You deserve so much more than you think."

"I do?" he asked, feeling very much like a young boy in that moment.

Hermione nodded. "Don't let fear take that away from you."

He held her close. "I'm sorry..."

"You don't have to apologise," Hermione whispered.

Harry only nodded. "We should get to bed."

"It's late," Hermione agreed.

"Come up with me?" he asked.

Hermione smiled. "Okay."

It wasn't until they had slid into his bed that she realised how tightly he was still holding onto her.

"Hermione?" he whispered in the darkness.

"Hmm?" she asked.

Harry was silent for a few moments. "I-I love you," he finally said softly.

Hermione blinked back a few sudden tears that sprang to her eyes. "I love you too," she said softly.

"I wanted to say it before," he told her. "I just didn't know how."

"You did it perfectly," Hermione kissed him and decided not to mention she'd heard him in the carriage earlier.

"First time," Harry admitted.

"Me too," she answered.

Harry kissed her again. "I'm sorry it took me so long to come round."

"It's like my dad says," Hermione pushed his hair out of his eyes. "Better late than never. Besides," she added, her smile widening a bit. "I could always kick your arse if you didn't say it back soon."

Harry chuckled and tickled her side. "Is it good to be afraid of your girlfriend?"

"I'm okay with it," she was happy she'd gotten him to smile.

"Hermione Jane," Harry said softly.

"Yes, Harry James?" Hermione asked impishly.

"I love you," he said again.

She grinned. "It gets easier to say, doesn't it?" she teased.

He gave her a kiss. "Yes, it does."

Hermione closed her eyes again and rested her head on his shoulder. "I love you too Harry..."

Harry held her close and closed his eyes. He wanted to believe Hermione, but he couldn't shake the feeling that there would come a day when he wouldn't be able to protect her and that she would blame him.