Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: We may have lost some of you with the last chapter, but give us a little credit- we aren't taking the easy road, and what we're doing highly impacts the end of the story. If you're still disappointed, well we're sorry to hear that, but we're very proud of what we've done with this fic and have enjoyed every word of what we have written.

"I can't," he shook his head. "We can't do this anymore."

Hermione pulled away from him.

"This... all this... it's over." Harry said bluntly. "I can't put you in danger like that again."

"So you've made this grand decision for me?" Hermione asked him. "And I don't get a say?"

"No," Harry shook his head and stood his ground.

"I know the risks," Hermione told him. "And I don't care."

"Yeah, well I do," Harry pushed her hands down again. "As an Auror, one of the first lessons you learn is not to get too close to anyone. Now I know why."

"Did that apply to you and Melanie?" Hermione asked bitterly. "Or Lupin and Tonks? They're in love, Harry and they're Aurors. They found a way. Why can't we?"

"Mel and I aren't together," Harry said. "And I can't be with anyone, not while Bellatrix is out there. Next time she could kill you."

"So, what?" Hermione asked incredulously. "You're going to put your life on hold? You're not going to love anyone or be happy because she's out there? There's thousands of Death Eaters still out there, Harry. When you get rid of her, is someone else going to be your excuse?"

"Look!" Harry snapped. "It's over, okay? I don't owe anyone an explanation! I came here to do an assignment, not fall in love."

Hermione looked at him as if he'd slapped her. "I'm ...I'm sorry that I got in your way.'

Harry sighed. "Look--" he began but she interrupted him.

"No," Hermione said coldly. "You made yourself perfectly clear."

"We should go do rounds," Harry said as she stepped away.

"I think I'll do them with someone else tonight," Hermione told him. "I wouldn't want to get in the way of YOUR assignment."

"No matter what, we're still partners here," Harry retorted. "You told me that many times since I've arrived."

"Fine," Hermione hissed.

"I'm going to change," Harry muttered. "I'll meet you down here in fifteen."

Hermione shrugged and turned away from him.

Part of him felt relieved, but the other half kept saying he was shite. He loved her, he knew that. But he couldn't risk her life. Last night was proof of that.

Maybe once this was all over, they could find a way to be together. But then again, Hermione was right. There were many Death Eaters out there who were making it their mission to avenge Voldemort.

For now, Harry resolved to keep Hermione at arm's length, at least until this case was solved and he could figure something out.

Downstairs, Hermione was cursing herself for getting involved with him at all. She knew that it was completely unprofessional and she knew that she was going to set herself up for this great fall. But, she'd let herself go because he'd made her feel beautiful and desirable and confident.

"Not anymore," she shook her head. She would show him. She would figure things out on her own as much as she could and he would see what he was missing out on.

Harry came downstairs a few minutes later and Hermione barely acknowledged his presence. Once they were out of the Common Room, he pulled his Invisibility Cloak around him.

Hermione purposely led him toward the Ravenclaw Tower, hoping that Steven Fawcett would be somewhere nearby. Hopefully, he hadn't asked anyone else to the ball.

"Where are we going?" Harry asked in a low voice.

"Ravenclaw Tower," Hermione muttered.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Maybe we'll run into Luna," Hermione said rolling her eyes. She hated behaving like this and while that was part of the reason they were heading in this direction, she also wanted to make him jealous. It was behaviour that she usually abhorred.

"We can split up," Harry said. "I'll go down by Slytherin and we'll meet back in the common room afterwards in case we find anything."

"Whatever," Hermione said smiling as she spotted Steven.

Harry noticed the look on her face and his hand curled into a fist. "Don't you go getting any ideas," he hissed into her ear. "We have to go to that stupid ball together. It's WORK!"

Hermione ignored him. "Steven!"

The tall, brown-haired boy smiled warmly at her. "Oh, hi, Hermione!"

"What are you up to out here?" she asked.

"I just finished up in the library," Steven replied. "Did you finish that assignment for Arithmancy?"

Hermione nodded. "It was tough, but I really love a challenge."

Steven grinned. "None of those problems are ever a challenge for you."

"That's sweet of you to say," Hermione smiled at him.

Harry rolled his eyes and tried not to vomit. He knew what Hermione was trying to do, but it wasn't going to work. He wasn't going to get jealous over someone who probably thought sitting in the library going over numbers was a good time.

"You look really pretty tonight, Hermione," Steven said softly.

"In this?" Hermione blushed.

"Gryffindor red and gold," Steven said. "Brings out the gold in your eyes."

Harry couldn't help snorting at this comment.

"What was that?" Steven looked past her.

"Probably Peeves," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Right," Steven said, a bit nervously.

"Have you been exercising?" Hermione asked touching his arm. "You've really bulked up quite a bit."

Harry crossed his arms under his cloak. Her jealousy bit was working.

Steven flexed a bit for Hermione's benefit. "I've been lifting weights actually."

"Wow," Hermione said admiringly. "It's quite obvious..."

Again, Harry snorted. This bloke was a pipsqueak.

"Peeves certainly is active tonight," Steven said.

"Yes he is," Hermione stepped back and onto Harry's foot, digging her heel into his toes.

Harry bit his lip to keep from yelling out in pain.

"So how are things with you and Potter?" Steven asked.

Hermione shrugged. "I don't want to talk about him."

"Me either," Steven said. "So, if you don't want to talk about him, does that mean you're free for the Yule Ball?"

"Maybe," Hermione said, a bit coyly.

"Maybe yes or maybe no?" Steven flirted.

"Maybe--" Hermione began but she felt Harry poke his wand into her back.

"Hermione?" Steven asked expectantly.

"I um... I'll be right back," she flashed him a smile.

Steven pulled a confused face. "Oh...okay."

"What do you think you're doing?" Hermione hissed once they were around the corner. "I have every right to go to the ball with him if I'm not going with you!"

Harry pulled off his cloak and mimicked Hermione. "Oh, Steven, have you been exercising?" he said in a high-pitched voice. "I love your completely non-existent muscles!"

Hermione shoved him hard in the shoulder. "How about I break your nose again?"

"I know what you're doing and it's not going to work," Harry said. "I am not jealous. You don't fancy that bloke. You're in love with me and you think that if you fawn all over him, I'll change my mind."

"How I feel about you doesn't matter anymore," Hermione glared at him.

"Hermione---"

"You said so yourself," she said coldly. "I owe you nothing."

"That guy is a joke," Harry said to her. "And he doesn't ---"

"He doesn't play games," Hermione snapped. "Unlike you."

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but Steven called out for Hermione. Harry pulled the cloak around him and hoped Hermione would remember that they were here first and foremost for an investigation.

"Everything okay?" Steven asked Hermione.

"Fine," Hermione said. "Sorry about that. Thought I heard something."

"No problem," Steven assured her with a smile. "You know some guys think women in authority are a big turn off."

Hermione smiled. "Oh?"

"I'm not one of them," Steven flirted. "I like girls who take charge. Know what they want and go after it. Girls...girls like you."

Hermione felt Harry dig his wand into her back again. "That's... that's nice to know..." she said weakly.

Steven frowned. "I, um, if you don't want to go to the ball with me, perhaps you could save me one or two dances instead?"

"Sure," Hermione nodded. "I'm... sort of still going with Harry, even though we're not exactly together anymore."

"Oh," Steven nodded. "Right. You know I don't really get what girls see in him. I mean there's the name, of course, but once you get past that---"

"There really isn't much," Hermione replied. "I'm just committed to going with him. If I wasn't..."

Steven smiled. "Just save me a few dances, Hermione." He looked at his watch. "I'd better get inside or you'll write me up."

"Better hurry," Hermione smiled back at him. "And I'll definitely save you some dances."

Steven impulsively gave her a peck on the cheek before leaving. "Good night, Hermione."

"Bye Steven," Hermione said softly.

Harry threw his cloak off. "What a joke..."

"Go away," Hermione said. "Weren't we going to split up?"

"Yeah," Harry muttered.

Hermione rolled her eyes and turned away.

"Where do you want to go?" Harry asked her.

"I'm going to check around the library," Hermione said coldly. "I don't care where you go."

"Fine," Harry mumbled. "I'll take the Astronomy Tower."

Hermione turned and walked away without another word.

"Steven Bloody Fawcett," Harry said to himself as he looked around the corridor. "What a complete joke!"

Meanwhile, Ron had taken a quick trip around the first floor of the castle before heading back to the tower. Luna was planning on trying the spell Hermione had given them to spend the night in his dormitory.

He knew that Luna had never had sex before, and he wasn't going to pressure her. He'd be okay with just some heavy snogging and holding. When the time was right, they would take that next step. He wasn't in any hurry. He was enjoying just getting to know her.

As he turned the corridor, he heard a voice and then the sound of whimpering.

He pulled out his wand and stayed close to the wall. "Who's there?" he asked suspiciously.

Luna stepped out from the darkness and smiled shyly at him. "Hi..."

"Hey," Ron said. "I just heard someone crying..."

"It was me," Luna admitted wiping at her eyes.

"Why?" Ron was concerned. "What's wrong?"

"I went to see Neville," Luna said. "It's so sad, Ronald."

"Oh," Ron nodded. "Yeah... he's a good bloke. I don't know why he had to be attacked..."

"None of them deserved this," Luna said absently fingering the pendant around her neck.

"Were... were you still planning on coming up tonight?" Ron asked.

Luna nodded. "I don't really want to be alone tonight, Ronald."

"I promise I won't make you do anything," Ron said. "I just... I'd just like to wake up next to you tomorrow..."

Luna threw her arms around him and started to sob again.

Ron wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. "Come on... I'm heading back to the tower."

"Promise me that you'll never, ever hate me," Luna pleaded.

"No way," Ron told her. "I love you."

Luna smiled up at him. "I love you, too."

"Come on," Ron took her hand.

Luna smiled at him. He was the sweetest boy she'd ever met. She didn't deserve him.

"Remember the spell?" he asked once they'd gotten to the Tower.

"I think so," Luna replied reaching into her pocket.

Ron nodded, looking over to look at the paper.

Luna said the spell and then pointed her wand at the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Wow," Ron said. "You don't even need a password!"

Luna giggled. "That's Hermione for you."

"She is pretty complete," Ron said. "I may have misjudged her."

"Just like you misjudged me," Luna said giving him a kiss.

"I did," Ron answered. "And I couldn't have been more wrong in my life."

Luna beamed at him. "Sometimes you know just the right thing to say, Ronald."

"That doesn't happen very often," Ron propelled her towards the stairs that led to his dorm.

When he opened the door to the dorm, Luna looked around. Neville and Dean weren't there, of course, but neither were Harry nor Seamus.

"Harry's probably snogging Hermione somewhere," Ron said as if reading her mind. "And Seamus is serving a late detention with Hagrid."

"Okay," Luna said shyly. "Which... which one is your bed?"

"That one," Ron motioned toward the one with the Chudley Canons poster over the bed.

"I should have figured as much," Luna said, fidgeting with her earrings.

Ron smiled at her. "Do you want to sleep in your uniform or do you want to borrow some of my pyjamas?"

"I don't know," Luna said her arms around herself.

Ron came up behind her and put his arms on her waist. "Don't be nervous, Luna."

"I'm sorry," she apologised. "I've never done this before..."

"It's okay," he said softly. "We're just going to sleep."

Luna nodded. "Could I borrow your shirt?"

"Sure," he said smiling at her.

"Where should I change at?" she asked.

"Here," Ron said. "Um, I'll just turn around and you tell me when you're ready."

"Thank you Ronald," Luna said softly.

Ron nodded and turned around.

She trusted him not to watch, although part of her wouldn't have minded if he did peek at her.

"Ready?" Ron asked a few moments later.

"Yes," Luna finished the last button. She folded the clothes she had been wearing and set them on the edge of his bed.

Ron turned around and grinned as he looked at her. A white button-down shirt had never looked so good on someone, he thought. He noticed that she was still wearing her necklace. "Need some help taking that off?" he offered.

"What?" Luna touched the pendant. "No!"

Ron recoiled. "I just wanted you to be comfortable is all."

"I'm sorry," Luna apologised. "It's just... I never take it off unless I can put it away properly. I don't know what I'd do if I lost it."

Ron leaned in to get a better look. "It's a bit odd."

"My father bought it for me," Luna said.

Ron touched the pendant. "A bit odd, but unique and with a certain beauty."

Luna smiled at him.

Ron smiled. "So you ready to hit it?" When he realised what he said, he turned red. "Um, I mean to hit the sack. You know go to bed..."

Luna blushed. "Yes... I'm a bit tired."

"Me too," Ron said pulling back the covers. "Ladies first..."

"Thank you Ronald," Luna said, sliding under the covers.

Ron smiled. "I'll just change into my pyjamas. Don't you go anywhere."

"I won't," Luna said as he pulled the hangings shut around the side and front.

Luna leaned back against the pillows and heard that awful voice in her head. "You know what you must do!"

She closed her eyes and willed the voice to stop. She wanted to remember this night, she didn't want to be a vessel for this anymore.

"He's in the way," the voice pounded in her ears. "Do it now."

"No," Luna shook her head. "I will not do this to him!"

"NOW!" the voice roared.

Luna sobbed as she grabbed at the pendant.

"It's easier when you don't resist," the voice said in a sing-song voice.

Ron pulled back the curtains and the smile on his face fell when he saw Luna was crying again. "Hey...what's wrong?"

Luna stared at him her eyes suddenly going vacant. "It's easier if you don't resist..."

"W-what?" Ron asked.

Luna stared at him, her face completely blank. "You have to be next..."

"Be next for what?" Ron asked reaching for her. "Luna---"

Luna caught his face between her hands and leaned in like she was going to kiss him.

Ron looked into her eyes and felt his insides go cold. "Luna---wait...what are you doing?"

"You have to go now," she said in a voice very much unlike hers. "I need what's inside you..."

Ron shook his head. He finally understood what was going on. Luna was behind all of this. "Luna...fight it. Sweetheart...it's me. Ronald."

"You have to go now," Luna said, pushing him back. "It's easier if you don't fight it."

Ron reached for her again. "Fight this, Luna. You're stronger than this. Come on..."

She bared her teeth at him. "IT'S EASIER IF YOU DON'T RESIST!"

"LUNA!" Ron yelled, but it was too late.

Everything went black as he fell backwards.

The pendant shone brightly for a long time and Luna just leaned over Ron. Finally, the spell was broken and Luna fell to her knees when she saw what she'd done.

"No," she sobbed. "No, no, no!"

"GET OUT BEFORE THEY FIND YOU!" the voice screamed.

Still crying, Luna gathered her things together and ran out of the room.

"Ronald," Luna whimpered as she struggled through the portrait hole.

By some stretch of luck, she wasn't seen by anyone as she ran through the dark halls. She didn't know where she was going.

She didn't want to do this anymore. She couldn't. These people were her friends and she was doing something horrible and for some unknown purpose.

"You are serving the greater good here," the voice in her head told her.

"What greater good?" Luna asked aloud.

The voice was now silent- it had left her, as it always did afterwards. Feeling faint and exhausted from what she had just done, Luna slumped against the wall.

She heard arguing and she felt her breath catch in her throat. She was too tired and too scared to move.

"Would you quit being a baby?" Hermione asked rolling her eyes. "I came up behind you and you completely overreacted!"

"You did it on purpose!" Harry retorted. "I could have hexed you, Hermione!"

"Not with the way you were holding your wand," Hermione said. "Would you just stop acting like a three year old?"

"Oh that's rich coming from you," Harry said sarcastically.

Hermione sighed. "Look can you shut up so we can finish this? I have homework to do when we get back."

"You sure you don't want to go and watch Fawcett lift weights?" Harry asked. "Hmm? You can drool all over him."

"I thought you said you weren't jealous," Hermione said smugly.

"I might be if I believed for a second that you really wanted him," Harry told her.

"It doesn't happen to be any of your business anymore," Hermione retorted.

Harry knew she was right. If it was going to be over, he had no hold over her and she could see whomever she wanted. It still didn't mean he had to like it. "Let's go back. I think we're finished here."

"Finally," Hermione rolled her eyes.

Luna was finally able to breathe once Harry and Hermione were out of sight.

"I can't do this..." she murmured. "Not anymore..." she reached up for the pendant.

"Your father----" the voice suddenly echoed.

"No," Luna shook her head. "Not Daddy..."

"You take that pendant off and he dies..."

"Please don't hurt him," Luna pleaded.

"Do as I say and he'll be fine...."

"Please don't make me hurt anyone else," Luna said, sagging back against the wall.

"Sweet dreams...."