Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: We can't believe the response the story has received so far. Thank you all for the feedback. We know that you might still have questions and if so, please feel free to address them in your review replies or you can head on over to the community. If you're reading the DDverse, please remember to send us your questions for Katie/Ashley and we both want to wish all of you Happy Holidays!

Her bold action took him by surprise and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her against him.

Her hands fisted in his hair as he deepened the kiss. This was a stupid move, but she was powerless to stop it.

He opened her lips under his, plundering her mouth hungrily.

She gasped as he slid a hand underneath her skirt.

"I don't know why you hide like this," he whispered, trailing his lips down her neck.

"I-I'm not hiding," Hermione whispered. "Mmmmmmm...."

His hand cupped under her chin and he kissed her again. Harry wondered what was going on- he didn't usually lose himself over girls like this.

"I want you," she heard herself say.

Harry pulled away. "What?"

"Um," Hermione stammered.

His green eyes bore right into hers. "Hermione..."

"I got a little carried away," she said looking away from him.

"Me too," Harry stepped back.

She wished the floor would open up and swallow her hole. "We're going to be really late," she said instead.

"We should probably go then," he said, picking up her bag.

"Thanks," Hermione said quietly.

Harry shook his head to try and clear his thoughts as he followed her to their next class. He'd only known her a day and he could barely control himself around her after seeing her in that dress last night.

He was completely lost in Ancient Runes and for some reason the professor kept calling on him for answers and then reamed him out when he'd fallen asleep.

By the time that class was over, Hermione was sure she'd regained control of her own senses. "You should pay a little more attention," she told Harry as he lagged behind her. "I mean, even if you're not a real student, we don't want everyone else knowing it."

"Right," Harry said distractedly.

"Well, well, well," someone drawled from behind them. Harry turned around to see a blonde haired boy smirking at him and Hermione. "If it isn't Scarhead and the Mudblood."

Harry looked at the boy with a stranger's indifference.

"Leave us alone, Malfoy," Hermione said icily.

Malfoy... Harry remembered the name from a former case. They'd been sent in to bust Lucius Malfoy as he attempted to get rid of some of the dark magic objects he'd collected.

"I caught your little make out session in the hall earlier," Malfoy said folding his arms and looking appraisingly at Hermione.

"You what?" Hermione asked.

"Oh come on Mudblood," Malfoy sneered. "You and Scarhead? Looks like you're dragging to the bottom of the barrel, even for you."

"Malfoy, you call her that again and I'm going to kick your arse," Harry warned.

"I'm just terrified of you, Scarhead," he sneered. "I wonder what the school would say if they knew you were snogging the school shrew."

Harry grabbed Malfoy by the collar and shoved him against the wall.

"He's not worth it, Harry," Hermione said trying to calm him down.

"You're just like your pathetic father aren't you?" Harry smirked at him.

"Let go of me, Potter," Malfoy demanded.

"Let him go Harry," Hermione put a hand on his arm. "Like I said, he's not worth it."

"Not until he apologises to you," Harry said tightening his grip on Malfoy's collar. "Apologise to the lady, Malfoy."

"Fuck off, Potter." Malfoy said through clenched teeth.

"Apologise," Harry ordered.

Malfoy mumbled something unintelligible.

"Louder," Harry demanded.

"SORRY!" Malfoy snapped.

"Good boy," Harry said finally releasing him.

"You shouldn't have done that," Hermione said as Malfoy stalked away.

"He called you a shrew and a Mudblood," Harry said. "He's lucky that's all I did."

She stared at him for a moment. "Just when I think I might have you figured out..."

"I'm keeping you on your toes, Granger," Harry said smiling at her.

"I guess that means I'll have to work twice as hard to keep you on yours," she returned.

*** *** ***

Ron Weasley couldn't remember the last time he'd been this confused. For one thing, it actually hadn't bothered him when Luna Lovegood had asked him to walk her to her dormitory again that evening. For another, he hadn't been bothered when he saw Lavender walking to dinner with Seamus Finnigan.

But the thing that was confusing and bothering him the most was watching his best friend suddenly hang out with Hermione Granger. Since they had started school neither one of them had done much with her, and now Harry was acting like she was one of their best friends.

When he walked into the Great Hall, he saw Harry sitting with Hermione, deep in conversation about something. He rolled his eyes. The last thing he wanted to do was listen to her drone on about how great Hogwarts: a History was while he was trying to eat.

With a rather audible groan, he sat down heavily at the other end of the Gryffindor table and glared at the two of them, who hadn't even noticed his arrival.

His mood didn't put a damper on his appetite and he loaded his plate with one of everything. He saw Hermione stalk past him a few minutes later and he wondered if Harry had finally told her what she could do with her precious books. Ron looked over at his best friend and saw that he was watching Hermione leave.

Grabbing his plate along with another platter full of waffles, he headed down the table. "What's going on?" he asked, point blank.

"Nothing much," Harry replied. "What's going on with you?"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Why are you hanging out with her all of a sudden?"

"Why not?" Harry asked with a shrug. "She's not that bad."

Ron stared at him. "Have you gone mental?" he hissed. "Don't you remember in third year when she turned your Firebolt in to McGonagall?"

Harry really needed to sit down with Dumbledore to get a complete list of these memories he'd implanted in Ron's brain. "Water under the bridge, mate."

"Yeah but you didn't get it back for almost three months," Ron said furiously. "And she's always going on about school and how we should all do homework all the bloody time..."

"She is wound a bit too tight," Harry admitted. "And she does take school way too seriously."

"How can you stand it?" Ron shoved a huge forkful of pancakes into his mouth.

"I ask myself that question a lot," Harry said thinking about how she'd sat close to him a few minutes ago and how all he wanted to do was take her upstairs and...

"Maybe she's got you under a love potion," Ron suggested.

"Yeah, maybe," Harry said stifling a groan as Ginny Weasley sat down across from him.

"Hi, Harry," she said winking at him.

"Hi," he responded, reaching for his bag.

"You're not leaving are you?" Ginny asked with a pout.

"Yeah," Harry replied shortly. "Why should it matter?"

"Because," she said. "I was wondering if perhaps you'd like to go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend. It's the first one and I know we'd have a good time."

"Can't," Harry said brusquely. "I've got plans already."

"With Hermione Granger?" Ginny asked with a frown. "The entire school is talking Harry. She's really not your type."

Harry cast a frustrated glance at Ron, who was now totally involved in his breakfast. "When have I ever cared what everyone else has said?"

"So, it's true?" Ginny asked.

"Ginny mind your own bloody business," Harry replied. "I don't know why it matters to you. It's not as if we're together, or ever will be."

"But...we were," Ginny said looking at Ron. "It was only for a short time, but--"

Harry resisted the urge to sneer. "I have to go," he said abruptly.

"To be with her!" Ginny exclaimed, starting to sob.

"Ginny," Ron looked at his sister. "You know you were only with him two weeks. It's not like it was some great love affair."

"I know," Ginny said wiping at her eyes. "But I always thought that one day; we'd get back together..."

"Why are you going out with Dean if you're hung up on Harry?" Ron asked bluntly.

Harry wished he could disappear. This wasn't a conversation he wanted to witness.

"You don't understand the first thing about girls, Ron." Ginny snapped.

"Tell me about it," Ron admitted glumly.

Harry backed away, hoping neither Weasley would notice his retreat. He actually felt a little sick at the thought of Ginny thinking they'd dated. She wasn't his type at all.

A blonde-haired girl fell into step beside him as he walked upstairs. He'd seen her sitting at Ernie Macmillan's bedside and tried to remember her name. Hannah something?

"Hi Harry," she smiled a bit shyly at him.

"Any change in Ernie?" Harry asked.

Hannah shook her head. "It's a little scary, thinking how he was attacked." she said softly.

"I know," Harry said. He remembered Hermione saying something about how Hannah and Ernie dating. "So, do you know why he was in the library after hours, Hannah?"

Hannah shook her head. "Knowing Ernie, he was probably trying to research something. He loves reading."

"He was a bit of a straight-arrow, though," Harry said. "I can't imagine he'd sneak into the library..."

Hannah shrugged. "I wish I knew why he was there," she said. "I wish I'd known he was going to sneak out, I would have stopped him.

"I don't know Ernie all that well," Harry said treading carefully. "But do you know if he had any problems with anyone?"

"Other than some Slytherins, no." Hannah shook her head.

"Yeah, you've got to just love those Slytherins," Harry said dryly.

"Interesting how none of them have been attacked," Hannah looked over at him. "Kind of reminds me about second year, when there was a Basilisk going around the school. You took care of that too..."

"Um, yeah," Harry said evasively. "Listen, Hannah. I have to go, but if anything changes with Ernie, let me know."

"Okay," Hannah said. "Be careful around here Harry."

Harry nodded. "Will do." He practically ran upstairs eager to brainstorm with Hermione. He didn't know why he hadn't thought of it sooner.

Hermione was just getting her things ready and was headed through the common room to her first class when Harry yanked her aside. "OW!" she snapped.

"Sorry," Harry muttered. "Come on."

"What?" She tried to pull away. "Where are we going?"

"Put our heads together," Harry said. "You've any ideas where we can be alone? And please don't give me a lecture about skiving. This is more important right now."

"There's the Room of Requirement," Hermione said reluctantly. The way he'd been behaving at breakfast certainly didn't give her any desire to be alone with him.

"The what?" Harry asked.

"The Room of Requirement," Hermione answered. "It'll appear when we need it."

"Show me the way," Harry said.

"You have to NEED the room," Hermione said impatiently. "It'll appear when you truly need it."

Harry groaned. "Well we truly need it, Granger."

"Concentrate then," she snapped.

"Tetchy, tetchy," Harry said, but closed his eyes just the same and tried to think of what he wanted in a room.

"There," she said brusquely a few moments later. A door had materialised on the wall right in front of them. "Come on..."

"Ladies first,' Harry said opening it for her.

"That's the most chivalrous thing you've said all day," she muttered.

"You're welcome," Harry said following her into the room. It looked eerily like the Gryffindor common room.

"All right," Hermione dropped her bag on the table. "What's so important that you're keeping me out of class?"

He told her about his conversation with Hannah. "Something she said really stuck with me. No Slytherins have been attacked, right? So, I think we need to find some sort of common ground." Hermione nodded and Harry continued. "So, our first victim was Padma Patil, a seventh year Ravenclaw prefect. Who was the second?" he asked her.

"A Gryffindor named Romilda Vane," Hermione answered. "She was found in one of the abandoned classrooms near the Third Floor Corridor."

"Padma was found near the entrance to Gryffindor Tower on the seventh floor," Harry said thoughtfully. "Okay and our third victim was....Terry Boot, wasn't it? Another Ravenclaw?"

Hermione nodded.

"And he was found in the dungeons right outside Snape's classroom, right?" Harry asked.

"Right," Hermione said. "And then the fourth victim, Colin Creevey, was found near the Great Hall."

"Another Gryffindor," Harry said finally sitting down. "Followed by another Hufflepuff----Michael Corner. And then Gryffindor Jack Sloper and finally, Hufflepuff Ernie Macmillan."

Harry wrote all the names down. "Not one single Slytherin."

"That doesn't mean that one won't be attacked," Hermione said giving them the benefit of the doubt. "Besides, Draco Malfoy's not smart enough to pull something like this off and if you've seen his two cronies, you know that they definitely couldn't have---"

"I suppose you're right," Harry said. "I wish I bloody knew more about everyone here."

"That's why you have me," Hermione said. "All you have to do is ask."

"Why don't you tell me why Ginny Weasley thinks I dated her for two weeks," Harry rolled his eyes. "I'm not into the desperate ones."

"I'm not really sure," Hermione admitted. "You'd have to ask the Headmaster. But, it's no secret that Ginny's always had a crush on you."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I haven't even been here. She doesn't even know me."

Hermione thumbed through her notes. "Well, if she did know you, she wouldn't fancy you."

"Funny, Granger." Harry smirked at her.

"I can't really see any patterns," Hermione said deciding it would be best to get back to the business at hand. "Other than Slytherin house is the only one that hasn't had any attacks. So, whoever is doing this doesn't really have any rhyme or reason. They're just finding people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"It doesn't sound right," Harry argued. "Of course, if it's a Slytherin, they want to protect their own house."

"I've tried to question them, but they don't exactly want to talk to me," Hermione said closing her notebook. "I was thinking that perhaps if we tried to question a few of them together..."

"You think they'll listen to me?" Harry raised an eyebrow. "You said they all hate me."

"It's worth a shot," Hermione said. "What else do we have to lose?"

Harry shrugged. "Nothing, I suppose."

"Okay then," Hermione said looking at her watch. "We have about thirty minutes until our next class."

"Whatever shall we do?" Harry asked, leaning back.

"I'm going to go over my notes for Charms," Hermione said reaching into her bag for her textbook.

"How exciting," Harry said, pushing the table aside with his foot.

"It is," Hermione said setting her book on her lap.

"I wouldn't mind being that book right now," Harry said in a lewd tone.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Does anyone ever buy your lines?"

"Maybe," Harry grinned at her.

"So you have a girlfriend then?" Hermione asked trying to sound as if she could care less.

"Hell no," Harry snorted.

"What's so funny about that?" Hermione asked finally looking at him.

"Too much of a bother," he answered.

"Oh," Hermione said nodding her head. It was now crystal clear to her. "You like girls, you just don't like having strings attached?"

Harry grinned at her again. "Maybe," he replied in a tone that made it clear he enjoyed teasing her.

"The love them and leave them type," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Is that what you think I am?" Harry was amused.

Hermione shut her book and glared at him. "What type of person snogs some girl that he's just met?"

"If I'm not mistaken Granger, you kissed me back." Harry said smugly.

"Temporary loss of sanity," Hermione muttered. "It's not going to happen again."

"That so?" Harry asked. "Are you sure about that?"

"Positive," Hermione said inching away from him on the sofa.

Harry said nothing, only watched her as she opened her book again.

Hermione turned slightly away from him and tried to concentrate on what she was reading. Perhaps she should ask Professor McGonagall to recommend a book for her essay, she thought as she felt his breath on her neck. Do not fall for it. Under no circumstances am I going to turn around and let him think he's affecting me. Because he's not.

"Hermione," he said softly. "You can't deny that you're attracted to me."

Hermione bit her bottom lip. "Um, did you know that that Skilmante spent over fifty years trying to come up with a better Summoning charm?"

"Who?" Harry asked, twisting a lock of her hair around his finger.

"S-Skilmante," Hermione replied. "He's an Italian wizard that...that..."

"I don't care about any Italian wizards," Harry's lips touched her ear.

She leaned against him, still waging that battle in her head about whether or not she should turn around. "You...you really should read some of his essays," she stammered.

"Are they really that fascinating?" he asked huskily.

"They're quite stimulating," Hermione replied without thinking.

"I know what's stimulating," Harry said. "And it's not an essay..."

Hermione knew the best thing would be to stand up and walk out of this room. She got as far as the standing up part, but he grabbed her arm and pulled her back down on his lap. "I-I really need to go," she whispered looking up into his green eyes.

"You're already late for class," he said, looking at her intensely. Harry was feeling out of control again and part of him loved it and the other part hated it. "What's a few more minutes going to do?"

Hermione opened her mouth to tell him that tardiness was never excusable.

"You know you want to stay," Harry said, leaning in closer to her.

"You're so arrogant," Hermione said softly.

"And you like it," Harry grinned appealingly.

She wasn't about to tell him that she did. He wasn't like anyone she'd ever met and she thought about him far more than she should. "You're going to kiss me, aren't you?"

He touched the side of her face and looked uncharacteristically serious. "I am."

Hermione smiled up at him. "Okay..."

Harry wondered at the sudden change in her attitude. Only minutes before she'd been trying to push him away.

"But only because we have time to kill," Hermione said hastily.

Harry raised an eyebrow sceptically.

"And I know more than enough about Charms," Hermione continued. "I've read that book about three times already and to tell you the truth..."

She was starting to weird him out. He shifted so she wasn't on his lap anymore.

"W-what's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing," Harry said. "Maybe you're right. We should get to class."

"Oh," Hermione said wondering what was wrong all of a sudden.

He was strangely silent as they left the Room of Requirement. Harry wondered what on earth was wrong with him- normally he'd have just shut a girl up by snogging the hell out of her, but something had held him back.

They had missed their first class, but Hermione led the way downstairs to the Potions class. She'd sat beside Harry at the last class, but this time chose to sit beside Seamus instead.

Harry sat down in the seat across the aisle from her and watched as she began a conversation with his Irish room mate. When she laughed at something Seamus said, his eyes narrowed. Why should he be jealous?

"Silence," Snape ordered as he stalked into the classroom.

Harry slouched down in his chair as Ron took the seat on the other side of him. He hated potions lessons when Sirius taught them, much less this greasy git.

"Who can tell me the three ingredients in a Confusing & Befuddlement draught?" Snape asked in a disinterested tone. Immediately, Hermione's hand shot up, but the professor ignored her as he usually did.

Harry stretched his legs out, completely bored.

"No one?" the professor sneered.

"She can." Harry nodded his head towards Hermione. "Can't you see she knows the answer?"

"Mr. Potter," Snape said levelling his gaze at Harry. "I didn't realise you were in charge of this class..."

"At least I'm not blind as a bat," Harry said evenly. "I can see when someone knows the answer."

Hermione brought her hand down and gaped at Harry.

"Mr. Potter, you should hold your tongue," Snape hissed. "Despite what you might think---"

"Sneezewort," Hermione interjected. "Scurvy-grass and lovage are the three ingredients in that potion, Sir."

Snape glared at her. "Correct, and ten points from Gryffindor for Mr. Potter's... lip."

"You know what you can do with your points?" Harry asked leaning back in his chair.

"Sir, what do you think are the best uses for such a potion?" Hermione asked trying to save Harry. She knew Snape was a git, but talking back to him was educational suicide.

Snape held up a hand to silence her. "Why don't you tell me, Potter? In detention."

"That's really not fair, Sir," Hermione spoke up. "Harry's not been feeling well and ..."

"You can join him, Miss Granger," Snape glared at her.

"You've never had detention," Seamus whispered.

Hermione glared at him.

"That might not be such a good idea," Draco drawled from the back of the class. "Potty'll probably use it as an excuse to snog Granger. Though, I can't see why..."

"I can," Blaise Zabini joined in. "Losers band together. Like attracts like."

Harry shoved his chair back so fast it slammed into the table behind him. "You'd do well to shut your mouth, Malfoy," he snarled.

"One more outburst like that and you'll be thrown out of this class," Snape warned.

Hermione couldn't believe this. Yes, Harry was speaking out of turn, but so were Malfoy and Zabini. Where was their punishment? "That's not fair!" she exclaimed.

"OUT!" Snape jabbed his finger towards the door.

"What?" Hermione asked. "You're throwing ME out?"

"Both of you," Snape said angrily. "You're disrupting my class!"

"Fine," Harry said grabbing his bag. "Later, Snivellus."

Hermione was seething as they left the classroom. "That's great Harry. That's just great. Make me miss one class and get me kicked out of the other!"

Harry didn't hear her because he was so ready to kick Snape's pale, pasty face in. He'd heard stories from Sirius and Lupin about what a wanker he was, but like everything else, you didn't quite realise how bad it was until you experienced it for yourself. "I'm not stepping foot in that arse's classroom again. And if he thinks I'm serving detention..."

"Hey," Hermione yanked on his arm. "You're a royal pain in my arse, you know that? You show up here and first you blow me off and then because you see me look like a tart, you suddenly decide you want me. Then you manage to screw up my classes- I've managed to stay on top all seven of my years here and now in just the span of a few days you're completely messing EVERYTHING in my life up!"

"And you're innocent, are you?" Harry rounded on her.

"More than you are," she glared at him.

"Give my regards to the headmaster," Harry said before turning on his heel and walking away from her. He was going to give Sirius a piece of his mind.

"Where are you going?" she demanded.

"To talk to someone," Harry called over his shoulder. "Go away, Granger. Go read a book or save an elf."

"Save an elf?" Hermione couldn't remember the last time she'd been this angry. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Ron told me all about you and something called spew," Harry replied. "You've been knitting hats and socks and what else was it?"

"Don't you dare make fun of SPEW." Hermione's eyes were so dark they were almost black.

Harry laughed. "Why? What are you going to do? Throw a book at me?"

Hermione shook her head. "You're not worth it."

"Why do you care?" Harry asked her. "Hmm?"

"I don't," she felt tears threaten to burn her eyes but wouldn't allow HIM to see that.

"Look, me being here and trying this school thing was a complete mistake," Harry said quietly. "I'm going to ask Sirius to assign someone else. Good luck, Granger."

"Good riddance," she called after him, spinning on her heel and heading on the opposite direction.

Harry knew that he'd gotten to her, and he felt like an ass for it, but what was done was done. He wasn't cut out for school and he didn't know why he'd ever bought into this idea in the first place. He wanted to prove himself to Sirius, but he'd find some other way to do that. There'd be another case.