Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Due to a little mix up, some of you may have read the first part of this chapter already, but for those of you who haven't, we think you'll enjoy it! We introduce another few 'potential' couples here as well!

Please review and let us know what you think! Thanks guys!

Hermione resisted at first but couldn't help herself. Kissing him felt dangerous and exciting all at the same time.

He pressed her up against the wall without breaking their kiss.

She purred deep in her throat as her hands fisted in his hair.

His hand snaked around her waist and under her shirt. Harry knew he was pushing his luck but he had to touch her.

His hands were warm on her skin as she pushed her body against his.

"Merlin," he murmured against her skin.

"Uh huh," she answered breathlessly as she crashed her lips back to his.

He was emboldened by what she'd just done and he cupped her breast with his hand. He wanted her and from the way she was reacting, she wanted him just as badly.

Hermione's breath was coming in short, fast gasps as Harry touched her. "Please," she tore her mouth from his.

Harry's own breath was ragged as he looked into her brown eyes. "Do you have any idea what you're doing to me?"

"No," she said, her voice shaky. "I don't know anything right now..."

"Isn't the prefect's bathroom somewhere around here?" Harry asked his hands still on her waist.

"Yes," Hermione managed.

"Show me," he said giving her another kiss.

Practically unable to break apart, the two of them stumbled down the corridor.

Harry was already working on the buttons of her shirt when they practically stumbled into the prefect's bathroom.

"Well, well, well," Malfoy drawled from the large tub.

The two of them broke apart and Hermione gasped. "Malfoy?"

"Mudblood," Draco said with a cocky grin. "Scarhead. Isn't this...interesting..."

"What are you doing out past curfew?" Hermione demanded.

Draco laughed and looked at Hermione's open shirt. When she saw what he was doing, she scrambled to cover herself.

"Well, if Parkinson ever gets here, we'll be doing what you and Scarhead were about to do," Malfoy replied.

"Fuck off," Harry glared at him. "You aren't supposed to be here?"

"And why not?" Malfoy asked haughtily. "I am a prefect, after all, unlike you Scarhead."

Hermione put a hand on Harry's arm. "You're not supposed to use this for your own...pleasures, Malfoy. That's an abuse of your power."

"Again, I ask what you and Potty were about to do?" Malfoy asked with a smirk, rising out of the water.

"That's none of your business," Hermione spat at him averting her eyes.

"No wonder Parkinson isn't here," Harry remarked. "That wouldn't be worth her time, would it?"

Malfoy's smile fell and he glared at Harry before wrapping a towel around his waist. "Probably better than yours."

"I've not had any complaints," Harry said smugly.

"Probably not, if they're all inexperienced like the Mudblood here," Draco said icily.

Harry lunged for him. "What did I say would happen to you if you called her that again?"

Malfoy shoved him away. "Don't fucking touch me Potter. I'm a prefect and I'll have you in detention so fast you'll--"

"You do and I'll tell the Headmaster what you've been using this room for," Hermione interjected. "You keep quiet and we'll keep quiet, Malfoy."

Malfoy sneered at her. "Fine." he said. "Now get the hell out of here."

"Fine," Hermione said reaching for Harry's arm.

The two of them raced out of the bathroom and were almost back to the Gryffindor Common Room when Hermione suddenly burst into laughter.

"What?" Harry asked. "What's so funny?"

"Malfoy," Hermione leaned against the wall to collect herself. "Who'd have thought he'd be so... so um... UN endowed?"

Harry started to laugh too. "No wonder he's the way he is."

"He's obviously very frustrated," Hermione wiped her eyes.

Harry smiled at her. "Kind of like how I am right now because we didn't get to..."

Hermione blushed. "That sort of happened kind of fast..."

"Kind of," Harry said brushing some hair behind her ear.

Hermione leaned in and kissed him again, but more chastely this time.

"You know," he said softly. "This is the first night I've been here where I actually wanted to be here."

"I think it's the first time I've wanted you to be here too," she said with a grin.

"So, I guess this means you ARE attracted to me," Harry said grinning back at her.

"A little," she confessed. "But you're also attracted to ME."

"I thought that was obvious," Harry said giving her another kiss.

"We should get inside," Hermione said softly several minutes later when they pulled apart.

"Right as usual," Harry said taking her hand.

"Thanks for coming with me tonight," she said once they were in the common room. "I'll um... I'll start researching those potion ingredients tomorrow."

"Let me know what you find out," Harry said nodding. "I'll...I'll see you at breakfast."

"Right," Hermione said, not moving away. "At breakfast..."

"Breakfast," Harry repeated leaning in.

Hermione closed her eyes as he kissed her again, nearly lifting her right off her feet.

"Sweet dreams," Harry said grinning at her when they pulled apart.

"You... you too..." she said before heading up her staircase.

Harry lingered for a few minutes in the common room trying to come up with a viable reason for what had just happened.

He couldn't just pass this off as only a physical attraction, not this time. He liked being with her and he was finding himself thinking about her far often than he needed to.

Upstairs, she was thinking the exact same thing as she pulled her pyjamas on. As Hermione slipped under the covers, she thought working with Harry Potter might not be so bad after all.

*** *** ***

Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood sat in their History of Magic class both not really paying attention to what their professor was saying. Ginny was doodling on a piece of parchment and as Luna looked over at her friend she spotted something along the lines of "Ginny loves Harry" and "Mrs. Ginny Potter". Luna didn't have the heart to tell her friend that this was a lost cause. She'd seen Harry Potter and Hermione Granger snogging earlier that morning.

Ginny threw her quill down and sighed. "Why does this class have to be so boring?" she whispered.

"It would be more interesting if he taught about things that aren't in this textbook," Luna whispered back. "Things that no one wants you to know. My father just started a series of stories on----"

"I wonder what Harry does during this class," Ginny interrupted her. "I bet he zones out too."

"Maybe," Luna said absently. "Ronald falls asleep during this class. He told me so."

Ginny made his face. "My brother is such a nerd. You should see him in front of Phlegm, my sister in law."

"You're not still calling her that, are you?" Luna asked. "She's very nice, Ginny."

"She is not," Ginny snorted.

Luna stared at her. "I thought it was very romantic how she stood by Bill even after what happened. That's true love."

"Like I've stood by Harry," Ginny nodded. "I wish he'd appreciate me back. Instead he acts all superior and he goes around with that hag Hermione Granger all the time now."

Luna sighed. "Well, you do have Dean Thomas. And he really cares about you, Ginny."

"He's just there to pass the time with," Ginny waved her hand.

"Pass the time with?" Luna asked.

"Until Harry wises up," Ginny picked her quill up again.

Luna could only shake her head at this. But she couldn't really say anything given the fact that she was still holding out hope that Ron would one day look at her differently.

"So what happened to your hand?" Ginny asked, nodding at the bandage.

"I dropped my juice glass this morning," Luna replied. "You know how clumsy I can be."

"I do know," Ginny nodded. "Sometimes I cut myself and I don't even know how I do it." she showed Luna her wrist. "I don't even know where this happened... but I woke up with a scrape this morning."

"That's pretty bad," Luna said studying her friend's arm. "You should put some essence of Murtlap on that."

Ginny pulled away. "I'll be fine. I was thinking of asking Harry what he would do."

Luna didn't think that was a good idea, but she kept it to herself. Thankfully, the class ended shortly after that and the two girls headed for the Great Hall.

"I'm starving," Luna admitted.

"Me too," Ginny replied. "I hope Harry comes to lunch today."

"He probably will," Luna said softly. "Maybe I'll sit at the Gryffindor table today, if that's okay with you."

Ginny only shrugged. "I guess that's fine."

Ginny and Luna settled down at the Gryffindor table and while Luna loaded her plate with food, Ginny kept looking around for any sign of Harry.

"I'm going to miss Hogwarts food when we graduate next year," Luna said to her.

"There he is!" Ginny exclaimed hitting her friend on the arm excitedly. "Okay...okay...be cool..."

Luna looked over and was pleasantly surprised to see Ron accompanying Harry.

"Brilliant," Ron said sitting down beside Luna. "I was hoping we'd be having this."

Luna blushed. "I was just saying how much I'd miss the food here once I graduated."

"I don't even want to think about that," Ron said before stuffing his mouth with a bread roll.

"You can sit by me," Ginny said patting the empty space beside her. "Harry..."

"I'm fine over here," he said. "Besides, Hermione will be here soon and I have to talk to her about... something."

"That's still going on then?" Ginny asked icily.

Harry looked over at her. "What?"

"Nothing," Ginny muttered.

"Harry's head over heels for her," Ron confided. "I think she's got him under a love potion."

"I'm not head over heels for anyone," Harry said defensively. And for good measure he gave Ginny a pointed look. "Anyone."

Ginny gave him a nasty look before returning to her meal.

"I'm sure you're both excited about Quidditch tryouts," Luna said conversationally.

"Why would I care about that?" Harry asked spooning some beef stew onto his plate.

Ron laughed. "You're the captain."

Harry pressed his lips together. He did indeed love Quidditch, but he hadn't had the chance to play in quite some time. "Great, another thing I have to deal with," he muttered.

"Tryouts are this afternoon," Ron said. "The sign-up sheets were in the common room."

"Maybe you can do it without me," Harry replied.

"Are you kidding me?" Ron asked him. "You have to be there, mate."

Harry looked up as Hermione entered the Great Hall. A memory of last night crossed his mind and he grinned at her.

Hermione smiled back at him and made her way over to the Gryffindor table. "Hi," she said softly.

"Hey," he said. "I need to have a word with you..."

"I bet you don't do much talking," Ron said. Hermione hit him on top of the head. "OW!"

"Don't hit my brother," Ginny said rudely to Hermione.

Hermione glanced over at Ginny. "He knows I meant no harm."

"No he doesn't," Ginny stood up, her eyes narrowing.

"Ginny--" Ron protested, but she ignored him.

"You come around here and act as if you're some sort of queen," Ginny spat. "You treat everyone like dirt and expect us to revere you or something."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. Where was this coming from? "I don't treat everyone like dirt, Ginny."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Of course you do."

"If this is about Harry, you really are blowing things out of proportion," Hermione said.

"Ginny, what happens in my life doesn't concern you," Harry said coolly. "I've made that perfectly clear."

"But, we were good together," Ginny said pouting at him. "You have to remember that."

He wanted to tell her no, actually he didn't. "I highly doubt I was myself around you," he told her instead.

"This thing with her has come out of nowhere," Ginny argued. "She's not going to make you happy."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yes, the monster inside me has come out, but not for you and you hate it don't you?"

Ginny's lower lip trembled and she grabbed her bag. "I'm going to go and find Dean! He cares about me."

Ron watched his sister as she stomped out of the Great Hall. "You were a little harsh with her mate."

"And you don't think she was a little harsh with Hermione?" Harry countered.

"No I don't," Ron crossed his arms. "Look I know she can be annoying, but she's my sister, and you're my best mate. If you want to put up with me, then you'll have to put up with her sometimes."

"Fine," Harry said quietly. "I'll apologise to her the next time I see her. Happy now?"

"A little," Ron glared at Hermione before sitting back down next to Luna, who seemed a little out of it.

"We'll be right back," Harry said taking Hermione's arm. "Did you find out anything?" he asked her once they were out of earshot.

"Get this," Hermione said in a low voice. "All the books on potions are missing from the library. Madam Pince is going to notify me once they discover where they are."

"Every single one?" Harry asked incredulously.

Hermione nodded. "Even the ones from the Restricted Section."

"Interesting," Harry said thoughtfully. "Word is that Snape was very angry when he walked into his classroom this morning."

"I wonder why," Hermione said, but her sarcastic tone was missing in action.

"I've no idea," Harry said with a grin. He was tempted to kiss her, but thought that it would be best to focus on the case right now. "Sirius couldn't trace any floo connections out of the castle on the night that Ernie was attacked. Not a one."

"I guess that means the attacker is here..." Hermione mused as they mindlessly walked down the corridor together. "A student, or a teacher... or else the culprit knows how to get in and out from the secret passages."

"Still doesn't explain why we found soot in the library," Harry reminded her. "Unless it's an after effect of this secret potion."

"Once I can get my hands on a book, I'll look into it," Hermione promised. "I already checked our textbook for the class, but there was nothing."

"We actually have quite a library at home," Harry said suddenly. "I'd have to talk to Dumbledore, but maybe he'd let us leave the grounds to do research."

"You have your own library?" Hermione asked her eyes bright.

"Of course," Harry replied. "You'll love it."

Hermione grinned excitedly. "I can't wait!"

"I'll ask Dumbledore," Harry said looking on in amusement at how enthusiastic Hermione was about this.

She squeaked and before he realised it, she'd pulled him to her and kissed him hard on the mouth.

Even after everything that had happened last night, he was taken aback by what she'd just done. But, he quickly got over his surprise and deepened their kiss.

Hermione wound her arms around his neck and pressed her body against his.

"Just what I wanted for lunch," Harry said when they broke apart for air.

"I'm not so hungry anymore either," she confessed.

"No?" Harry asked nuzzling her neck.

"Not for food," Hermione closed her eyes again.

"Maybe while we're at my house," Harry said in between kisses. "We... can.... check... out... some of the other rooms."

A thrill shot through her at his words. "Maybe," she agreed.

Harry gave her another kiss. "Okay."

"We should get to class," she murmured.

"Or we could just snog some more," Harry suggested.

"You are a horrible influence on me," Hermione teased him.

"But you like it," Harry said taking her hand. "Let's just go and get our things and I'll let you walk me to class."

"You're so courteous," she replied wryly.

"That's your good influence on me," Harry said with a grin.

"Yeah right," Hermione smiled back at him. It was amazing really. One day ago they were at each other's throats and he was ready to walk out of the castle and never return. And now today... everything was so different.

All eyes seemed to be on them when they walked back into the Great Hall. "Maybe if we told them about Malfoy's shortcomings, they'd have something else to talk about," Harry whispered in Hermione's ear.

She giggled. "Let them stare..."

Harry squeezed her hand. "I'm going to go and ask Dumbledore about our field trip. I'll be right back."

"Okay," Hermione smiled at him and went to collect their things.

Ron glared at her. "I bet you enjoyed that, didn't you?"

"What are you talking about?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"You might have him snowed, but I know exactly what you're doing," Ron said angrily.

"Ronald," Luna admonished.

"Is it so hard to believe that a bloke might like me for me?" Hermione asked him coolly.

"Frankly, yes," Ron replied.

Hermione shook her head. "I'm not even going to dignify that with a proper answer."

"You're boring and you have frizzy hair and your idea of a good time is to read a book," Ron argued.

"And your best friend fancies me," Hermione said getting into his face. "And you can't take it."

"Because I know you did something," Ron snapped. "You're slipping him love potion to make him fall for you because you know he'd never want you on his own."

Without even thinking, Hermione slapped him.

A collective gasp went around the Great Hall as Hermione grabbed her things and rushed out of the room.

Luna gave Ron a disappointed look before she too grabbed her belongings and left the Great Hall.

Ron was still rubbing his cheek when Harry came back to the table.

"Mate, have you seen Hermione?"

"That stupid bint?" Ron glared at him. "Yeah she smacked me and ran out of here."

Harry folded his arms. "What did you say to her?"

"Nothing!" Ron exclaimed.

"Right," Harry said grabbing his books. "Remember what you told me about Ginny? The same goes for Hermione. If you want to be my friend, you'll have to deal with her."

"But..." Ron protested. "Harry she's--"

"With me," Harry finished. "And you are in charge of tryouts tonight. I have something else planned."

Ron's eyes widened. "But Harry, I'm not the captain!"

"Today, you are," Harry said. "I trust your judgment. I hope you can trust mine about Hermione."

Ron looked over at him doubtfully. Filling the role of Quidditch captain was a dream come true for him.

"You live, eat and breathe the game," Harry told him. "Who better to pick a team? Besides, with everything that's going on, I wouldn't be able to give it my full attention today. You'd be doing me a favour."

Ron now felt guilty for thinking such bad thoughts about his best friend. "Thanks Harry," he said. "I appreciate it..."

"All I ask is that you ease up on Hermione," Harry said.

"You really like her?" Ron asked, squinting at him.

He hadn't admitted this to anyone, but the more he thought about it, the more he knew that he did like her. "She's not like anyone I've ever met," Harry said honestly.

"I'll say," Ron muttered. "But I guess if you fancy her... she can't be ALL bad."

"She's not," Harry said grinning as he thought about what they'd done just outside the Great Hall a few minutes ago. "I need to catch up to her. I'll see you in class, mate."

"Okay," Ron watched as he hurried away.

Since he had a few minutes, Ron took out a piece of parchment and started writing down things he wanted to go over for the tryouts. He knew this was just a one-day assignment but he was really looking forward to it.

Harry figured Hermione would have already headed toward the greenhouse where their next class was. Sure enough, he found her there, reading.

"I got the go ahead from Dumbledore," he sat down next to her. "We're going this weekend."

"Great," Hermione said turning away from him.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Something wrong?"

"Ronald Sodding Weasley," Hermione said coolly.

"Oh," Harry nodded. "Yeah I just put him in charge of Quidditch tryouts so we can work tonight."

"You gave up tryouts?" Hermione asked in surprise.

"I haven't played Quidditch in awhile," Harry said. "Ron lives for it."

"I slapped him," Hermione admitted.

"You slapped him?" Harry asked in shock.

"He made some shite remark about me slipping you a love potion and that you'd never like me on your own," Hermione said looking down at her lap.

"Well we know that's not true," Harry said softly.

"I'm not slipping you a love potion," Hermione said looking up at him.

"I know that," Harry told her. "Hermione you wouldn't do something like that."

"No one thinks this makes sense," Hermione said softly.

"Who cares?" Harry asked as he slid an arm around her. "I don't."

"I don't either," Hermione said leaning against him.

"Good," he kissed the side of her head.

"So," Hermione said. "Tell me more about your home."

"It's great," Harry said eagerly. "We're really close to Diagon Alley, and we've got loads of rooms."

"Is it true that the Order of the Phoenix had its headquarters there?" Hermione asked.

"How did you know about that?" Harry asked.

Hermione smiled at him. "I know everything."

"I'll say," Harry grinned back. "I'm impressed."

Hermione beamed at him. "Thank you."

Harry leaned in and kissed her. "That was not due to a love potion," he said.

"Imagine what I would get if I actually gave you one," Hermione teased.

"Do we want to find out?" he joked.

Hermione shook her head. "Probably not."

Harry kissed her again. "So fill me in- what's going on in this class?"

"Herbology," Hermione told him. "And believe it or not, Neville actually gets better marks than me in this course."

"Neville?" Harry asked. "That one bloke who's really quiet?"

Hermione nodded. "He's just shy. Once you get to know him, he's really sweet."

"He seems nice enough," Harry said thoughtfully. "I guess it's a good thing I've gotten to know a few people..."

"You know I never thought how strange this must be for you," Hermione said. "All these people have these memories of you and you just go with it."

"Kind of have to," Harry shrugged. "And at least I have you to explain things to me. I know they didn't implant memories with you."

"No, we get to make our own," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I think we have, already." Harry replied huskily.

"Harry?" she asked him.

"Yeah?"

Hermione blushed. "I-I think there's something you should know about me."

"What's that?" he asked.

"I've never," Hermione stammered. "I've never..."

"Never what?" Harry was confused.

Hermione looked over her shoulder to make sure they were the only ones in the room. "I've never had sex," she said quickly, her cheeks turning a bright red. "And I just thought you should know in case you were thinking that because of what I wore the other night to meet Viktor..."

Harry looked at her for a moment. "And here I've been talking about it all the time..."

"I just thought you should know," Hermione said quietly.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "Look I'm not a pushy guy--"

"I know," Hermione said putting her hand on his arm. "I just wanted you to know is all..."

"Okay," he replied.

"Have you?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," he answered. "Um... a few years ago."

"How old were you?" Hermione asked.

"Fifteen," he answered.

She didn't know why she needed to know, but she couldn't help it. "It's none of my business, I'm sorry..."

"It wasn't special or anything," Harry rubbed the back of his neck. "It was just some girl..."

"Oh," Hermione said quietly. She couldn't imagine doing something as major as that with someone she didn't care about, but she supposed that was one of the many things that were different about men and women.

"So when does this class start?" Harry abruptly changed the subject.

"One," Hermione replied.

"What's it all about?" he asked, leaning against the wall.

"Well, Herbology is the study of magic plants and fungi," Hermione answered. "And we're all really preparing for our N.E.W.T. Surely you must have studied this with your godfather..."

Harry shrugged. "Never really needed to know about it."

"Do you mind if I ask what your godfather actually taught you?" Hermione asked curiously.

"He taught me everything I need to know about being an Auror," Harry answered. "To defend myself, to take care of myself..."

"But you should know about things like Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures," Hermione argued. "And Potions..."

"I've gone my entire life without needing those things," Harry interrupted. "And I'm fine."

"Do you ever wish that you would have come here sooner?" Hermione asked. "I mean, of your own free will?"

"No," Harry answered honestly. "I love living with Sirius."

Hermione nodded and looked thoughtfully at him. She wondered how things would have been if he had started Hogwarts at 11.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing," Hermione replied.

Harry sat back again and stretched his legs out. "Do you still have to go to Hogsmeade this weekend?" he asked.

"I'm not sure," Hermione said lowering her voice as some of their fellow students were not coming into the greenhouse. "With the research trip to your house..."

"That's on Sunday," Harry also lowered his voice. "Is that when the trip into the village is?"

"No, we go to Hogsmeade on Saturdays," Hermione said. "The carriages usually leave just after breakfast and we get to stay all afternoon."

"We could do both then," Harry said thoughtfully. "Are you going to wear that dress again?"

"You are obsessed with that dress," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I'm more obsessed with the woman who wears it," Harry said, his green eyes lighting up as he leaned in.

"Class is about to start," Hermione said softly.

"Your point?" he drawled.

A smile played on her lips. "Okay, but be quick about it..."

"Quick?" Harry teased. "I'm never quick."

Hermione relented to a kiss and forgot momentarily that there was anyone else in the room as she let herself relax in his arms.

Professor Sprout cleared her throat. "Mr. Potter, Miss Granger...."

They broke apart to see everyone in the greenhouse was staring at them. "Sorry Professor," Hermione blushed hard.

"It's okay," Professor Sprout said with an amused grin. "I was young and in love once many, many years ago."

"In love?" Harry asked, pulling away. He liked this girl, sure, but he definitely wasn't in love with her!

Hermione noticed Harry's reaction and she hastily opened her textbook again.

"Harry's in luuuuuuuuuurve," Seamus called out from behind him.

"Sod off wanker," Harry glared at him as Professor Sprout started the lesson.

Throughout the rest of the lesson, Harry barely looked at Hermione and she tried to play it just as cool as he did. She was relieved when Professor Sprout called on her and Neville to demonstrate the correct way to plant Screechsnap.

"Hi Hermione," the shy Gryffindor said.

"Hi, Neville," Hermione said warmly. "You can go first."

"I hope I do this right," Neville said nervously as he donned a pair of dragonhide gloves.

"Don't use to much of the manure," Hermione whispered. "They wriggle and squeak when you use too much."

"Thanks," Neville said as he gently set the plant down into the pot.

"Well done, Mr. Longbottom," Professor Sprout said proudly.

"Thank you Professor," Neville said, blushing in pride. He shot a grateful smile at Hermione.

"And how long before we should see some growth?" Professor Sprout asked Hermione.

"Three to four days," Hermione answered. "With a liberal amount of water, you should see full growth in about one to two weeks. It's one of the fastest growing plants..."

Harry tuned out the lesson as he thought about what Professor Sprout had said. Did he really act like he was in love with Hermione? It was true that his hormones seemed to race out of control when he was around her but he thought that was just due to physical attraction.

"Have you shagged her yet?" Seamus asked tapping him on the shoulder.

"Huh?" Harry asked.

"Hermione," Seamus said motioning to the front of the class where the brunette was reciting some of the properties of Screechsnap.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Not that it's any of your business but no."

"Everyone seems to think you are," Seamus said.

"I don't care," Harry commented.

"So, it's serious," Seamus said with a grin. "Let's hope you last longer than Ron and Lav did this last time."

Harry rolled his eyes. "What's it to you?"

Seamus was going to answer, but Hermione had just returned to her seat.

"Nice job," Harry said. He didn't want Hermione to think he hated her but he wondered if perhaps he was moving too fast for them.

"Thanks," Hermione said smiling at him. "But it was mostly Neville."

"It was nice of you to help him," Harry slid down in his seat.

Hermione shrugged. "He's my friend."

Harry nodded. "Do me a favour?"

"What?"

"Wake me up when class is over?" he grinned at her.

Hermione laughed. "What's in it for me?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," Harry replied.

"Okay," she said smiling at him. "I'll wake you up when class is over."

"Thanks," Harry said, closing his eyes.

The rest of the class went by fairly quickly and Harry caught up on the sleep he'd lost last night. Even though Hermione didn't condone sleeping through classes, she had to admit he did look quite cute when he slept.

"Hey," she finally nudged him as everyone began packing their things up.

"Hmmm," Harry murmured sleepily.

"Get up," she nudged him again.

He grinned lazily at her. "Do I have to?"

"I suppose you could sleep out here all night," Hermione said thoughtfully. "The mandrakes will wake you up... oh and because you probably don't know, they'll also kill you."

"I didn't know you cared," Harry said stretching his legs.

She sent him a smirk. "We should get to the library and see if Madam Pince has located those books yet."

"Okay," Harry said. "Good idea."

They were quiet as he followed her through the castle to the library. "I really hope she's found them," Hermione finally said.

"I wouldn't count on it," Harry said. "Our little friend from last night probably figures we'd try and find out what potion they were trying to make."

"How could they be two steps ahead of us like that?" Hermione sighed in frustration as the librarian saw them approach and shook her head. "Still nothing Madam Pince?"

"I'm afraid not, Miss Granger," Madam Pince said shaking her head. "Stealing books is a serious offence. When I find out who has done this, they will be punished to the fullest extent."

"I fully agree with you," Hermione nodded while Harry tried to hide his amusement. "Books are precious things--"

Madam Pince nodded. "I knew you'd understand, Miss Granger."

"Please keep me posted," Hermione begged. "And if I hear anything at all I'll come right here and let you know."

"Thank you, Miss Granger," Madam Pince said.

"Books are precious things?" Harry asked teasingly to Hermione.

"Shut up," Hermione blushed. "They are to me."

Harry was about to pull her into the broom cupboard when Neville came up behind them. "That was a really great class, wasn't it?"

"Huh?" Harry asked. "Oh uh... yeah Neville. You did a good job with that... plant thing."

"Thanks," Neville beamed at him. The three of them walked in silence and Neville looked like he wanted to say something but wasn't quite sure how to go about it. "Harry, could I have a quick word?" Neville finally asked.

"With me?" Harry looked surprised. "Um... yeah... sure."

"I'll catch up to you later," Hermione said to Harry.

"Okay," Harry watched her go. "So um... what's up?"

"Well, um, I was kind of wondering if I might ask you a question," Neville stammered. "You have much more experience with this than me and you even dated her, so I was thinking you might be the best person to come to about this..."

"About what?" Harry asked.

Neville looked over his shoulder to make sure no one was within earshot. "Well, say there was this bloke who fancied this girl and he was really shy when it came to girls and he was afraid he was going to say something wrong...'

"You talking about yourself?" Harry asked with a grin. "Who do you fancy?"

"Ginny," Neville admitted in a small voice.

"You like HER?" Harry's voice carried a bit. "Sorry..."

"You're okay with that, right?" Neville asked hastily.

"Of course I am," Harry looked at him strangely. "Why would I care if you fancied her?"

"You and Ginny were serious for quite a bit last year," Neville explained. "And I know she's been with Dean and then you and then Dean again, but I was kind of hoping that one day she might think of me differently."

"You should tell her then," Harry encouraged. He liked Neville- he was probably the most honest bloke he'd met since arriving here. "Whatever it was... I had with her, it's over. Completely over."

"I've tried to tell her, but she makes me nervous," Neville admitted.

"Why?" Harry asked curiously.

"Well," Neville said. "She's pretty and popular and she probably deserves better than me. What would she possibly see in me?"

"The only reason she'd deserve someone better than you is if you think you don't deserve her," Harry said bluntly. "I think you should tell her how you feel."

"You think so?" Neville asked. "What if she rejects me?"

"That's the worst that could happen," Harry told him. "If she does, then I think she's an idiot."

Neville grinned. "Thanks, Harry."

Harry clapped him on the shoulder. "Good luck mate."

"She's in the common room," Neville said. "Would you come with me? I want to ask her if she'll go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend."

"Are you sure you want me there?" Harry asked hesitantly. "She's sort of pissed with me and it might distract her."

"I don't know if I can do this on my own," Neville said quietly.

"I'll stay in the common room," Harry offered.

"Thanks," Neville said gratefully. "You're a great friend, Harry. Thanks."

Harry grinned back at him. He'd keep in touch with this guy after leaving the school.

In the Gryffindor common room, Ginny was sitting with Natalie McDonald. "Dean and I are completely over," Ginny was telling her friend. "Completely over."

"Why?" Natalie asked. "I thought everything was going well for you two?"

"It was more of a rebound thing," Ginny said thoughtfully. "From Harry..."

"You've had quite a few rebounds," Natalie commented. "Since Harry, you had Michael Corner. Terry Boot. Justin Finch-Fletchley..."

"Yeah, yeah..." Ginny interrupted her. "But Dean was so annoying. He would always try and push me through doors and stuff, and say he was being a gentleman. It was like I couldn't do anything on my own!"

"I always thought that was kind of nice," Natalie said. "Most blokes don't do stuff like that, Ginny."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Well I find it annoying."

Natalie shook her head. "I'm going to head upstairs to work on my essay. You coming?"

"No," Ginny said. "I don't have any homework so I'm just going to stay here and read for a bit." she held up her copy of the newest Witch Weekly.

"See you," Natalie said giving her friend a wave before heading upstairs.

Harry stood back and practically pushed Neville toward the red-haired girl. "You can do it, Nev. Be brave."

Neville swallowed hard. "You won't leave, right?"

"I'll be right back here," Harry promised.

"Thanks," Neville cleared his throat and went over to the sofa where Ginny was sprawled. "Hi Ginny," he squeaked.

Ginny looked up from her magazine. "Oh, hello, Neville."

"Um... how are you?" Neville asked, clearing his throat again.

"I'm okay," she replied looking quizzically at a fashion spread on dress robes for winter. She held it up for Neville to see. "Do you think I'd look pretty in that one?"

Neville blushed. "Oh yeah," he answered. "I think you'd look beautiful."

"I'd never have the money for something like that, but I was going to see if my mum could make me something like it," Ginny said thoughtfully. "Royal blue is one of my favourite colours."

Neville nodded. "You've always looked nice in blue." he said shyly.

Ginny smiled at him. "Thanks, Neville.'

"So um..." Neville twisted his hands together. "The reason I came over um... I just uh... well..."

Ginny looked properly at him. "Are you okay? You look a little pale..."

"I'm fine," he said nervously. "Um I just wondered, I know you're with Dean and all--"

"No, I'm not," Ginny interjected.

He stared at her in surprise. "You're not?"

Ginny nodded. "We're better off as friends."

"Oh," Neville nodded. "Well um, I totally understand if you say no, but I thought um... perhaps maybe... that uh... youwanttogotoHogsmeadeSaturdaywithme?" he asked very quickly. He wiped his sweaty palms on his robes and looked anxiously at her.

"I'm sorry?" Ginny asked peering at him. "I didn't catch that?"

"Do you um... want to go to Hogsmeade with me on Saturday?" Neville asked his face even paler than before.

Ginny was more than a little taken aback by his question. She'd gone with him to the Yule Ball her third year, but that was mainly because she'd wanted to go not because she'd fancied him. "Um..."

"You don't want to," Neville's whole body seemed to deflate. "It's okay- I just thought I'd ask..."

"I-I didn't say that," Ginny said reaching for his arm.

He stopped when her fingers touched her arm. Neville opened his mouth to say something but he had a huge lump in his throat.

He was cute, she had to admit. And he had always been nice to her. "I think I'd like to go to Hogsmeade with you, Neville."

He stared at her for a long moment. "You would?"

"Sure," Ginny said smiling at him. "I think it'd be nice."

Neville kept staring at her. "You're serious?" he asked. "You really want to?"

Ginny giggled. "Yes, Neville. I really want to."

"Wow," Neville said as he grinned. "This is great, Ginny. This is going to be a lot of fun."

Ginny leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. "I'll see you at dinner, Neville."

Neville touched his cheek and nearly floated out of the room. Harry watched the whole exchange with an amused grin.

"That was really nice of you," Ginny heard a voice and looked up to see Harry standing by the sofa.

"You heard that?" Ginny asked.

"Yeah," Harry answered. "Neville's a nice guy. I think it's cool you're giving him a chance."

"I don't think I could have lived with myself if I turned him down," Ginny said softly. "He's sweet."

"Look," Harry said. "I wanted to apologise for earlier today. I was a bit off at breakfast and I shouldn't have been nasty with you."

"I might have overreacted a bit," Ginny begrudgingly admitted.

Harry nodded. "I hope you have fun on Saturday."

"You too," Ginny said giving him a slight smile. "I'd better get ready for Quidditch tryouts. Ron will have my head if I'm not there on time."

"Good luck," Harry replied.

"Thanks," Ginny said grabbing her magazine. "See you, Harry."

He made his way upstairs to the 7th year dormitory and grinned when he saw Neville. "So she said yes, aye?"

Neville was still grinning from ear to ear. "I still can't believe she actually did. You heard her, right? I wasn't just imagining it?'

"Nope," Harry clapped him on the back. "Congratulations mate. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun."

"I owe it all to you," Neville said. "I wouldn't have been able to do it without you."

"Yes you would," Harry answered.

"I bet you've never had trouble with girls," Neville said sitting down.

Harry snorted. "You'd lose that wager."

"No way," Neville said.

"I've had more trouble than you know," Harry lay back on his bed and looked up at the hangings. "More than you know..."