Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Undercover by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Undercover

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: We want to thank you guys for the feedback we are getting on the story. This chapter finds Ron asking someone out and Harry trying to get to the bottom of what happened to Dean. We hope you enjoy the chapter and please let us know what you think!

"Shit!" Harry swore, kneeling down. "Hermione, go get Dumbledore. NOW!"

Hermione nodded and took off running to get the headmaster.

Harry quickly looked over Dean's still body. He was still alive, but just barely.

Only minutes passed before Hermione was back with Dumbledore but to Harry it felt like hours.

Dumbledore knelt down beside Harry. "Madam Pomfrey should be here shortly."

"We just came on him like this," Harry replied. "He's not dead, but he's barely breathing."

"Did you see him last night?" Dumbledore asked Harry.

"When we got back from Grimmauld Place," Harry nodded. "He... he was sort of upset about Ginny going out with Neville and he said he was going down to the common room for awhile."

"And that's the last you saw of him?" Dumbledore asked to which Harry nodded.

Madam Pomfrey arrived a few moments later. "Not another one, Headmaster."

"I'm afraid so Poppy," Dumbledore said gravely. "We'd best bring him to the hospital wing to stabilize his condition until a cure can be found."

"There's something in his hand," Hermione said spotting a piece of parchment. Harry reached for it. "It's a letter of some sort..."

"Let me see," Dumbledore held out his hand.

Harry handed it over.

"Dean, I really think we should talk," Dumbledore read aloud. "I know that you still love me, but I'm just so mixed up now. Meet me downstairs just outside the Great Hall this evening after curfew. Ginny."

"Ginny?" Hermione asked, horrified. "You don't think she could--"

"She doesn't seem the type," Harry said. "But just the same..."

The headmaster looked weary for the first time in all the time Hermione had known him. "Sir?" she asked. "I um... I think I might know what's making these people so comatose."

"Yes, Miss Granger?" Dumbledore asked.

"The night that Professor Snape's potions room was vandalised, I made a list of everything that was stolen or broken. And then when I was in the library at Grimmauld Place, I discovered that they were the ingredients for the Draught of the Living Death."

"That would certainly explain quite a bit, but if it was just that, we'd be able to help them," Dumbledore said thoughtfully.

"Here's the list I came up with," Hermione handed it to him.

Dumbledore took it from her. "I need to inform Mr. Thomas' parents about what has happened and then I'll go over this, Miss Granger. For now, you and Harry should get to class."

"Right," Harry took Hermione's hand.

"I can't believe this happened to Dean," Hermione said shaking her head.

"Yeah," Harry mused. "Dean wasn't a bad guy."

"Don't talk about him in the past tense," Hermione said quietly. "We're going to find a way to help him and Padma and the others, Harry."

Harry nodded. "Definitely."

They walked into their Charms classroom which was already underway. Professor Flitwick gave them both flack over it.

"We're sorry Professor," Hermione apologised. "If you talk to Professor Dumbledore--"

"Just have a seat, Miss Granger," Professor Flitwick said.

"Lovebirds," Ron joked as Harry walked past him.

Harry purposely hit Ron's head with his bag before taking his seat on the other side of him.

"Ow!" Ron yelped.

"Sorry," Harry said, not sounding sorry at all.

Hermione took her seat beside Neville and wondered how she would be able to concentrate on the lesson when she was thinking about what had happened to Dean.

"Shouldn't we tell anyone about Dean?" Harry asked under his breath. "I mean... he's our friend and house mate."

"What happened to Dean?" Neville whispered.

Harry and Hermione exchanged looks. "Um... I'll talk to you after class," she said.

Harry nodded and leaned back in his chair. He wondered if Ginny could have something to do with this. He nudged Ron. "Mate, did you see Ginny last night?"

"What?" Ron asked. "Why?"

"I just need to know when was the last time you saw her last night," Harry said quietly.

"Before bed," Ron replied as Flitwick frowned at them.

"Did she say anything to you about wanting to get back together with Dean?" Harry asked once Flitwick had turned his head.

"I don't know," Ron looked flabbergasted. "I don't ask her about those sorts of things!"

"Mr. Weasley," Professor Flitwick said in exasperation. "I'm sorry that we're boring you. Do you think you and Mr. Potter could continue your conversation after class?"

"Sorry Professor," both Harry and Ron muttered.

"Thank you," Flitwick said before turning his attention back to the lesson.

Harry leaned back in his chair, wishing he could kip but unable to stop thinking of Dean Thomas's expression. It troubled him to know that someone he'd gotten a bit closer to while he was there was now in such a state.

After class, Ron, Seamus and Neville cornered Harry. "What the hell's going on?" Ron asked point-blank.

Harry looked over at Hermione, who had barely said a word since they'd found Dean. "Um..." he began. "I don't really know if I'm the right person to say..."

"Just say it whatever it is," Seamus said. "Does it have something to do with Dean's skiving?"

Hermione joined them. "What's going on?" she looked at Harry.

"We just want to know what's going on with Dean," Ron stated.

"Dean was...he's the latest victim in the attacks," Hermione said quietly. "Harry and I found him on our way to class."

"WHAT?" Neville, Ron and Seamus stared at her in disbelief.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said, tears welling up in her eyes. "I wish there was something I could have done..."

"He's okay though, right?" Seamus asked cutting her off. "He's not...dead, right?"

Harry shook his head and put his arm around Hermione. "No," he answered. "But he's comatose. I'm sure Dumbledore will be making an announcement at dinner."

"I'm going up to the hospital wing," Seamus said. "To see if there's anything I can do."

Harry hoped Dumbledore wouldn't be too angry that they'd told about Dean but couldn't stop Seamus as he rushed off.

"Man," Ron shook his head. "I can't believe whoever it was got Dean. What the hell was he doing out of the Common Room?"

Hermione opened her mouth to tell him about the letter, but Harry cut her off.

"Dunno," Harry lied.

"Maybe Dumbledore knows," Ron looked at Neville.

"Ginny," Neville said. "I should go and tell her about this. See how she's doing..."

"I thought no one knew yet," Ron reminded him as Harry walked away with Hermione.

"I just want her to hear it from me and not someone else," Neville said quietly.

"You took her to Hogsmeade last weekend right?" Ron asked, still looking at him.

Neville nodded. "I-I really like her, Ron."

"Just treat her right," Ron replied. "I know that she and Dean just broke up, but she's still my sister and I have to look out for her."

"I'd never do anything to hurt her," Neville said earnestly.

Ron nodded again. "It feels so weird knowing Dean is... Dean was..."

"He's going to be okay," Neville said. "He has to be."

"He's a good mate," Ron said quietly as they neared the library. He saw a figure walking slowly ahead of them. "Hey Luna," he called out.

Luna didn't seem to hear him at first so Ron tapped her on the shoulder.

"Luna?"

Luna turned around and for a moment, Ron thought she was just simply staring straight through him. But then her eyes focused and she smiled. "Hello Ronald."

"You okay?" he asked smiling back at her.

"I think so," she said softly. "I'm a bit tired is all. Late nights..." she toyed with her butterbeer cork necklace.

"What are you doing staying up all night?" Ron asked her curiously. "Studying?"

Luna nodded after a moment. "Yes," she answered. "And reading- I never miss an issue of The Quibbler."

Neville excused himself to go and find Ginny leaving the two of them alone.

"I've never read it except for those interviews your Dad did with Harry," Ron admitted.

"Would you like to borrow some old issues?" Luna asked, her large blue eyes focusing in on him again.

"Um, sure," Ron replied. "I suppose that would be okay."

"Oh I think you'll like them very much," Luna said, suddenly bright.

Ron couldn't help smiling back at her. She was quite pretty when she was talking about something that she cared about. As soon as that thought entered his mind, he wondered where it had come from. "That's really nice of you, Luna. Thanks."

"I'll have them for you at dinner," she promised.

Ron had a few minutes before his next class and he touched Luna's arm. "Have you heard about Dean?"

"Dean?" she asked. "Dean Thomas?"

Ron nodded. "He was attacked late last night. Harry and Hermione Granger found him this morning."

"How awful," Luna said softly. "He was a friend of yours..."

"Yeah," Ron said looking down at his feet. "I just hope they can catch the guy who's doing this."

Luna nodded thoughtfully. "It's a bit terrifying. I won't leave my common room at night. I used to like to go up and look at the stars."

"You shouldn't go anywhere alone," Ron warned her. "Not with all this going on. I wouldn't want---I mean, I don't want to see you get attacked, too."

Her eyes shone brilliantly. "Thank you Ronald. It's nice to know you care."

Ron's cheeks turned red and he scuffed his foot on the floor. "Yes, well..."

"I appreciate it," Luna said softly.

"I suppose I could walk you to your next class," Ron offered. "Just to be on the safe side, you know..."

"You'd do that for me?" Luna asked, her face tingeing pink.

"It's no problem," Ron assured her. "Where are you headed anyway?"

"Divination," she answered.

"Trelawney," Ron groaned.

"You don't like her?" Luna asked.

"She's just a little too out there for me," Ron replied.

"But I'm not?" Luna asked.

Ron looked sideways at her. "You're not that bad. I mean, you're out there, but in a good way. Does that make sense?"

"I think so," she said a bit shyly. "I never thought you'd even pay any attention to me at all."

"You're hard to ignore," Ron said smiling at her.

She blushed even more brilliantly.

"L-Luna," Ron stammered. "Um, if you um...well, if you wanted to look at the stars some night..."

"Yes?" Luna asked hopefully.

Ron scratched his nape. "Well, maybe I could go with you. You know, to keep you safe."

"You'd do that for me?" Luna smiled at him.

Ron nodded. "If you want, that is."

"I would like that very much," Luna nodded. "Thank you Ronald."

"Just let me know when you'd like to go," Ron said as they reached the stairs leading to the Divination classroom.

"I will," Luna nodded and quickly leaned over to kiss him on the cheek before heading upstairs.

Ron certainly hadn't expected that and he reached up and touched his cheek. "I think I might have just asked Loony Lovegood out," he muttered.

*** *** ***

That night the atmosphere in the Great Hall was quite subdued. Even the Slytherins were holding in their remarks and smirks after Dumbledore had made the announcement about Dean.

"I just can't believe this," Ginny said quietly, wiping a tear. "I mean... I just... I wasn't very nice to him and now he's in some sort of coma and--"

Neville handed her his napkin. "It's not your fault, Ginny."

"I feel like it is," Ginny wiped her eyes again. "I feel so guilty for some reason."

"Well, you and Dean were together for quite some time," Neville said putting an arm around her.

"It'll be okay Ginny," her friend Natalie was saying.

"I should have stopped him," Seamus said pushing his plate away. "He's my best mate and I knew he was going out after curfew, but---"

"W-why was he going out?" Ginny asked.

"I don't know," Seamus told her. "I really don't. He was upset and said he was going to sit in the common room for a little while..."

Ginny's lower lip trembled. "S-see? He was upset over me!"

"It's not your fault," Neville insisted.

"This is horrible," Parvati said wiping her eyes. "First Padma and then Dean."

Lavender put an arm around her best friend. "They're both going to be okay, Parv."

"What are they doing to figure this out?" Parvati burst out angrily. "No one will tell us anything except to stay in our dormitories after dark. No one but the Prefects are allowed out and no one even says anything to them!"

"You just have to be patient, Parvati," Hermione said. "There are people working on this that know what they're doing---"

"And how would you know?" Parvati retorted.

"It's... just a guess," Hermione covered. "I really wish we knew what was going on Parvati."

"I'm sorry," Parvati said. "I know you're just trying to help, but she's my sister and I just want her to be okay..."

"I understand," Hermione told her. "I really do."

Parvati nodded. "I-I think I'm going to go and sit with Padma. I just want her to know I'm there."

Harry watched the black haired girl leave. "We really need to push this investigation," he said quietly to Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "Dumbledore agreed that we should lengthen our rounds tonight."

"I'll bring my cloak in case we have to hide," Harry told her. "Hermione..."

"Yeah?"

"This may sound weird coming from me..." he said. "I know we agreed to try not to... um mess around so much... and I think we should really try and stick to that."

Hermione nodded. "Our first priority should be this case."

"Exactly," he reached for her hand under the table. "There will be other times for this..."

Hermione smiled wondering how he could make such a promise. She knew that as soon as this case was closed, he'd leave Hogwarts. But, maybe just maybe, he would change his mind.

"Hey Hermione," Ron began. "Um... what areas should I patrol tonight?"

Hermione looked thoughtfully at him. "I was hoping you'd take the West Tower, Ron."

"I could do that," Ron nodded. "Any area in particular you think I should cover up there?"

Hermione was surprised. "I... don't think so. Just the tower would be great. Then Ha... then I could concentrate on the other areas."

"Just be careful, Hermione and Ron," Lavender said. "We don't want to see anyone else getting attacked."

Ron looked at his ex girlfriend, surprised. "Thanks Lav," he answered, realising that they were all banding together. "We'll watch ourselves."

"I know we don't always get along," Lavender said looking at her fellow classmates. "But I feel like we're a family."

"Me too," Neville chimed in, his arm still securely around Ginny.

Natalie nodded even though her eyes dropped away. "Right," she agreed half heartedly.

Harry couldn't help noticing this and he nudged Hermione. "What's her story?" he whispered motioning slightly toward Natalie.

"I don't know," Hermione said softly. "I really don't know her well at all. She's a friend of Ginny's, and since Ginny has never had much to do with me, Natalie follows suit."

"If you'll excuse me," Harry said. "I think I'm going to try and get to know Miss McDonald better."

"What?" Hermione looked confused.

"Trust me," Harry said with a wink. He stood up and walked over to Natalie. "Alright?" he asked her taking a seat.

"What?" Natalie jumped. Her eyes grew round as she saw who was sitting next to her.

"I just realised that I've known who you were for a few years now, but I never really got to know you," Harry said giving her his most charming smile.

Natalie blushed. "You've always thought of me as Ginny's little friend..."

"I can't change my mind?" Harry asked flirtatiously.

"No one said that," Natalie was getting over her shyness.

"So," Harry said reaching for her hand under the table. "How about we take a walk?"

"Now?" Natalie asked. "Really?"

"I don't have anything to do," Harry said winking at her. "Do you?"

"N-no..." Natalie stammered.

"Come on then," Harry said. "I promise, I won't bite."

Hermione watched them go. She hated the twinge of jealousy she felt inside as she watched Harry open the door for Natalie and moved the food around on her plate.

"He sure doesn't waste anytime," Lavender said shaking her head. "You're better off without him, Hermione."

"What?" Hermione's head snapped up. "Oh... Harry and I are just friends," she lied.

"Do you make it a practise of saying the names of your friends in your sleep?" Lavender asked pointedly.

Hermione blushed and vowed to put a silencing charm on her curtains from then on.

"It's okay," Lavender said. "You're actually much prettier than that wannabe."

"Thank you," Hermione said, again surprised.

"You'd think she'd be a little more broken hearted about Dean given that she was begging me for information on him just the other day," Lavender said grabbing a bread roll from the basket.

"What?" Hermione asked taken aback. "Why did she want to know about Dean?"

Lavender leaned in so Ginny couldn't hear. "I think she fancies him," she confessed.

"But--but he dated her best friend," Hermione said confused.

"You are smart, but not about everything," Lavender said shaking her head. "You know that Parvati was thinking about getting together with Ron. And even though I knew that, I couldn't help myself."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "I see..."

"Sad, but true," Lavender said. "But if Harry has any sense at all, he'll see what a good thing he has with you."

"Thank you Lavender," Hermione was rather touched. The blonde had never been especially nice to her but it seemed as if they were becoming friends.

"You're welcome," Lavender said smiling at her.

Harry had led Natalie up to the Owlery hoping to get her to talk about Dean, but he hadn't wanted to ask her straightaway to make her suspicious. Instead, he'd made the grave error of asking her about herself and she was now telling him more than he ever needed to know.

"And when I was twelve, I got my first crush," she revealed. "One might think it was you, but it really wasn't. It was actually Ron! But then once I got to know him a bit better, I realised he wasn't my type."

"Really," Harry said trying to sound interested, while stifling a yawn. "And...um...what is your type?"

"Maybe it's you," Natalie smiled at him. "Or maybe..." her smile faded.

"Someone else?" Harry asked sympathetically. He had a feeling that he had her right where he wanted her. She just needed a little push.

"I don't know if I should talk about it," Natalie answered, looking away.

"It might help," Harry said stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I remember my first crush. She was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen. And I couldn't string two words together whenever she was around. But...she was with someone else." At least this was what Ron had told him about his "crush" on some girl named Cho Chang. "And it killed me inside every time I saw her with him."

"You really do know how it feels..." Natalie looked at him. "I guess I can tell you..."

Harry nodded encouragingly.

"It's Dean," Natalie confessed. "I know he was going out with my best friend... but he was always so nice to me."

"How long have you fancied him?" Harry asked her.

"A few months at least," Natalie looked up at him, now with tears in her eyes. "I just can't believe this happened to him..."

"Did you ever tell him how you felt?" Harry asked gently.

"I couldn't," Natalie answered. "Not while he was with Ginny."

"But they've broken up," Harry reminded her. "And have been for awhile now."

"I sent him a note," Natalie said in a rush, almost interrupting him. "Last night... I pretended it was from Ginny asking him to meet me. I didn't know!" she grew hysterical.

"It's okay," Harry said soothingly. "Natalie, you didn't mean for this to happen."

"But if it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have been out there last night," Natalie sobbed. "He would have been safe in the dormitory!"

"Did you go to meet him, Natalie?" Harry asked. He was more than a little uncomfortable. He never knew how to take crying girls.

She shook her head. "I don't think so... I sort of passed out and woke up in the common room."

"You don't remember how you got there?" Harry asked.

"I was really tired," Natalie answered softly. "I think I was waiting for everyone to clear out, and I fell asleep."

"Oh," Harry said quietly. He was hoping that Natalie could have seen something that would give them another clue. "Well, it's a good thing that you did because you might have..."

"Been attacked too?" Natalie asked. "I wish it was me instead of Dean. This is all my fault."

Harry reached into his pocket and handed her a handkerchief. "Dean was in the wrong place at the wrong time, Natalie. You didn't know this was going to happen to him. You shouldn't beat yourself up over this."

"Thanks Harry," Natalie said. "You're really nice, to listen to me like this."

"I've been where you are before," Harry said smiling sympathetically at her. "Come on, I'll walk you back to the common room."

"Thanks," Natalie wiped her eyes again.

"You're welcome," Harry said following her down the stairs.

He filed the information he had just learned to tell Hermione while they were on rounds later.

They made it back to the common room and the place was already filled with younger students who thought it was safer to study here than in the library. Natalie gave Harry a hug of thanks before she went upstairs to her room.

Hermione was waiting for him near the entrance. "Did you find anything out?" she asked a bit briskly.

He noticed her tone, but chose to ignore it. She couldn't honestly believe he was genuinely interested in Natalie McDonald.

"Yes," he said pulling her aside. "Natalie fancied Dean. It wasn't Ginny who wrote that letter. It was Natalie."

"Lavender sort of told me the same thing," Hermione replied. "She told me about Natalie... but she didn't know anything about the note."

He told her everything Natalie had told him. "I don't think she was behind this."

"She doesn't seem..." Hermione struggled. "Smart enough, as horrible as that sounds."

"No, you're right," Harry said. "As usual."

"What else did you two talk about?" Hermione asked, struggling to keep a neutral tone. She hated the fact that she was so jealous of this at such a time but couldn't help herself.

"Mostly about Dean," Harry replied. "But before we got to that, she told me everything I ever needed but didn't want to know about her."

"Oh," Hermione answered. "Um... I'm going to get a bit of homework done before we go patrol."

"Hermione?"

"What?" she turned quickly.

"Are you mad at me?" Harry asked her.

"Of course not," she answered, not really looking at him.

"I know that I haven't known you long," he said reaching for her hand. "But I know you well enough to know when you're lying."

Hermione bit her lower lip. "I'm sorry," she apologised. "It's stupid really... I have no claims on you."

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you...jealous?"

She glared at him in response.

"You are," Harry said with a grin.

"Maybe I don't need your help tonight," she pulled away.

"I was teasing," Harry said reaching for her again. "Hey...you have absolutely nothing to worry about, Miss Granger. There's no one else at this school who I'd rather spend my time with than you."

Hermione's expression softened. "Really?"

"Really," Harry said softly.

"I guess I'm being a little bit of a prat," she straightened her robes.

"Just a little," he said giving her a quick kiss even though he wanted to do so much more. "Look, I'm going to go and write to Sirius and then maybe do some homework..."

"Okay," she said. "We can meet back down here at half past ten."

"Great," Harry squeezed her hand. "I'll see you at half past ten..."

Hermione nodded. "It's going to be a long night."

"Tell me about it," Harry agreed, but was thinking of an entirely different reason.

"And I must say I'm impressed that you're going to do homework," Hermione said grinning at him.

Harry shrugged. "Maybe I will," he answered. "Not like it's going to do me much good..."

"It couldn't hurt," Hermione told him. "And if by some chance, you decide to stay here even after the case is finished, you'll want to get top marks..."

Harry looked at her for a moment, not wanting to hurt her feelings by saying he still had no intentions of staying here after the case was solved. He liked being there with her, but he missed the freedom he possessed away from the school.

"I don't mean to nag," Hermione apologised. "I know you hate that. It's just this place is very important to me. It's the only place I really felt that I fit in."

He sent her a half smile. "How about we do our homework together?"

"We tried that before," Hermione reminded him. "And we didn't get very far. You kept playing with my foot under the table and then we nearly got thrown out of the library...not a good idea."

"Well then I probably won't get anything finished," Harry stretched. "You know... I don't work well alone..."

Hermione smiled. "You promise you'll behave?"

"I'll try," he said, leaning in with a flirtatious look on his face.

Hermione shook her head and placed a finger to his lips. "No, work first."

"Come on," he answered. "If I get this out now, I'll work better."

"I hadn't thought about that," Hermione said softly.

"I like being right," Harry said saucily.

"It doesn't happen very often," Hermione said looping her arms around his neck.

He grinned before leaning in to kiss her. Despite their promises to concentrate more on the case, he knew he needed something like this.

Hermione was feeling the exact same way. It was so easy to forget about everything when she was with him and just live in the moment. She was falling for him and her feelings kept getting stronger each day. Deep down, she knew she was setting herself up for a fall, but she couldn't help it.

After snogging for several minutes, Harry pulled back. "Now I can do homework," he said with a grin.

"H-homework?" Hermione asked trying to catch her breath and get her bearings.

"Yeah," Harry said, amused. "That thing involving books and parchment?"

Hermione blushed. "Right...books."

Harry took her hand as they went back into the main part of the common room. It was quiet in there, most students lost in thought due to what had happened to Dean.

Ron made a beeline for Harry the moment he saw him. "I need to talk to you."

"Harry and I were going to do homework," Hermione said.

"It's okay," Harry said. "It'll only take a minute, right?"

Ron nodded and looked at Hermione. "I guess it'd be okay if you were here. I mean you ARE a girl..."

"Well noted," Hermione arched an eyebrow at him.

Ron rolled his eyes. "Do you want to help me or not?"

"What is it?" Harry asked, slightly impatient.

"Okay," Ron said in a hushed voice. "I did something that doesn't really make any sense."

"Which was?" Harry asked when Ron didn't offer up any more information.

"Well," Ron hedged. "See...there's this girl that I think I kind of fancy, but it doesn't make sense. She's completely mental. She does the strangest things and she's not like anyone I've ever met before. I can talk to her, you know?"

"You fancy Luna, don't you?" Hermione asked him.