Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

I am so sorry for not posting last night you guys! I (Heaven) am a florist and this week is MORE than hectic for me and it just slipped my mind. Please forgive me!

Broken- Lifehouse

The broken clock is a comfort, it helps me sleep tonight
Maybe it can stop tomorrow from stealing all my time
I am here still waiting though i still have my doubts
I am damaged at best, like you've already figured out

I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating
In the pain there is healing
In your name I find meaning
So I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on

Hermione was feeling much better the next day so she decided to go back to work. After the fiasco last night at the restaurant, she'd enjoyed her quiet evening in with Bella.

She didn't have to use as much makeup to cover her bruises and she still wore a long sleeved shirt to hide any lingering bruises on her arms.

"Mrs. Conaghan!" her students shouted when she walked into the classroom.

Hermione smiled. "Hello, all of you. I missed you lot!"

"We missed you too!" Jess exclaimed, stepping forward to give her a hug. "We always hate it when you're not here."

Hermione smiled and ruffled the top of the girl's head. "I hear you guys have been playing with new computers."

Jess nodded. "We're supposed to go down to the library again today."

"Good," Hermione nodded. "And has everyone been taking advantage of the new books we've got?"

Jess nodded. "I like Dr. Seuss!"

"Green Eggs and Ham is pretty funny," Joseph said from across the room.

"Why don't we go around the room and you can all tell me what stories you're reading right now?" Hermione asked just as the door to her classroom opened.

"Good morning everyone," Harry said. "Good morning Mrs. Conaghan."

"Mr. Potter," Hermione said tersely.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," Harry said, handing her a piece of paper. "I was hoping to bring Jess and Erica into my office at some point today for a chat."

Hermione nodded. "You can meet with them after lunch."

"Thank you," Harry said. "I appreciate it." he marked them down on the paper.

"Mr. Potter!" Rebekah raised her hand. "Are you reading any books right now?"

"Not at the moment," Harry said. "Can anyone give me a recommendation?"

Jess hesitantly raised her hand. "I like Oh, the Places You'll Go! My grandmother used to read that to me."

"I'll make a note of it," Harry nodded.

"You can read it to us!" Jess exclaimed holding out the book for him.

Harry shook his head. "Maybe another time. I'm sure Mrs. Conaghan has something planned..."

The students all frowned and looked pleadingly at Hermione.

"We've got to get started on our lessons for today," Hermione said. "We have lots to catch up on from the two days I was sick."

Erica looked at Hermione. "What if he reads it really, really, really fast?"

"Perhaps later," Hermione answered.

Harry looked at the students. "I promise I'll read to you lot another time."

A chorus of disappointed groans rose from the children. "That's what they all say," Jess sat back down.

Hermione hated to disappoint the children, most of whom had already dealt with enough disappointment for a lifetime. "I-I suppose one story couldn't hurt. If Mr. Potter is willing..."

"I'd love to," Harry replied with a grin.

Hermione pulled out a chair and motioned for Harry to sit down. The students hurried to sit in front of him.

It took about twenty minutes for Harry to read the book and he was glad to see that Hermione's students enjoyed every moment of it.

"What do you say to Mr. Potter?" Hermione prompted the students.

"Thank you!" they shouted. Jess and Rebekah jumped up and threw their arms around him.

"Much funner than Maths," Rebekah giggled.

"Which we are going to start right now," Hermione said.

The class groaned as Hermione produced a stack of worksheets. She handed the stack to Jess. "Pass these out. You have ten minutes to work out these problems."

"I'd better go before she gives me homework too," Harry joked.

The students laughed and Harry said his goodbyes. Hermione knew she shouldn't follow him, but she couldn't stop herself. She closed the door. "You're great with them," she commented.

"Thanks," he replied. "How are you doing?"

"I'm okay," Hermione said. "Um, Damian was called to the states to consult on a case. So, it's just Bella and me."

Harry resisted the urge to grin. "Good," he said simply.

"Ron and Luna look very happy," Hermione said.

"They are," Harry nodded.

Hermione was at a loss as to what else to say. "I'm sorry about last night. It's just---it's really better this way."

"I don't see how it can be," Harry replied. "But I'm not going to hassle you."

"That's all I ask," Hermione said.

Harry nodded again. "Guess I'll see you later."

"See you," Hermione said looking at him.

Harry dropped by a few more classrooms to sign up students he wanted to talk to. His last stop was Mrs. Morando's class.

He was surprised to see that Billy was not in the class. Mrs. Morando told him that Billy was one of a group of children that were meeting with prospective parents.

"Oh," Harry said, surprised he felt a tug in his stomach at that.

"Mr. Potter?" Mrs. Morando asked. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," Harry said. "Sorry. Um... I was wondering if I can have Cynthia and Lara sometime this afternoon."

"Of course," Mrs. Morando smiled.

"Around two for Lara and then half past for Cynthia then," Harry made a note. "Thanks a lot."

He smiled at Bella before leaving the classroom.

Bella allowed a tiny smile back, but she'd promised her mother she'd keep her distance from Harry even though she liked him so much.

Mrs. Morando was letting them draw that morning and Bella grabbed a crayon from the box.

She decided to draw Billy a picture to go with the book she'd gotten him last night.

She hoped that he was meeting with nice people and that one of them would want to be his new mummy and daddy.

It wasn't long before he came back in and Bella moved her desk closer to his.

"How'd it go?" she whispered.

"Okay," he shrugged.

"You missed Harry," Bella told him.

"I did?" he frowned.

Bella nodded. "He wasn't here for very long though."

"What did he want?" Billy asked.

"Meeting with Lara and Cynthia," Bella told him as she coloured in her dragon. "I think I'm going to make this one a fire-breathing one."

"Cool," Billy looked at it. "That's really good, Bells."

Bella smiled at him. "It's for you."

Billy grinned at her. "Thanks."

"I've got something else for you too," Bella said reaching into her backpack for the books she'd gotten for him.

"These are for me?" he asked in surprise.

Bella nodded. "I picked ones that I thought you'd like."

"This one looks really cool," Billy said, admiring the shiny cover of a book about dragons.

"It is," Bella said. "I've read it three times."

Billy grinned at her and tucked the books away.

"What are you going to draw?" Bella asked as he grabbed some crayons from the bucket.

"I don't know yet," he said.

"Some of the other kids are supposed to go down at recess and play football with Harry," Bella said trying not to sound disappointed that she would not join them.

"They are?" Billy asked interestedly.

Bella nodded. "You should go."

"I wasn't invited," Billy replied.

"You weren't here when he came around," Bella pointed out. "I'm sure he'd love it if you'd join him."

Billy smiled. "I hope so. I really like him."

"I do, too," Bella said quietly.

Billy was quiet for a moment while he drew. "You know... if someone like him wanted to be my dad, I'd let him adopt me in a second."

Bella looked over at her friend. "Really?"

"He probably doesn't want to," Billy said hastily. "But he'd be pretty cool."

"He'd be a great daddy," Bella agreed.

Billy was embarrassed he'd let that slip. He concentrated hard on drawing his picture.

"He'd never hurt you," Bella said thoughtfully. "And he'd never make you think everything was your fault..."

Billy looked over at her.

Bella felt tears welling up in her eyes.

"You okay Bells?" he asked, concerned.

Bella broke out of her reverie and looked back at Billy. "I can't tell you, Billy."

Billy frowned.

"I want to," Bella said sadly. "But, I can't."

"But we tell each other everything," he protested.

"Do you promise not to tell?" Bella asked keeping her voice barely above a whisper.

"I swear," Billy nodded.

Bella bit her bottom lip. "Well, my daddy's gone away for awhile and I'm really, really happy about it."

"Why?" Billy asked.

"My daddy," Bella said. "He--he hits my mummy sometimes and he's really mean to me."

Billy stopped drawing and stared at her, his mouth open.

"You can't tell anyone!" Bella exclaimed.

Several students looked at her. "Bella?" Mrs. Morando inquired pleasantly. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, ma'am," Bella said quickly.

"I won't say anything," Billy whispered.

Bella nodded. "That's why my mummy and I were out of school."

Billy stared at her. His mother may have left him, but she'd never hit him.

"He's in America at a big hospital right now and I hope he doesn't come back for a long, long time," Bella said softly

"I hope not either," Billy said, looking back at his own drawing.

"He's never hit me," Bella told him. "But...sometimes I think he wants to. The other night something really strange happened..."

Billy's jaw dropped again when she told him about the bottle. "And he wasn't squeezing it?"

Bella shook her head. "He was just holding it and I think I made the bottle break."

"Wow," Billy said in awe.

"What do you think it means?" Bella asked.

"I don't know," he admitted.

"It's not the first time something like that has happened either," Bella confided.

"When else did it happen?" he asked.

"Last summer," Bella said. "My mum had to come here and that left me with Daddy and Tilly. I wanted a biscuit really, really bad. But, Daddy said no and told me I wasn't 's'posed to get up from my seat."

"What happened?" Billy asked, intrigued.

"He was reading the paper," Bella recalled. "And I looked at the plate on the counter thinking I had never wanted anything so bad in my life and the biscuit...it kind of came to me..."

"It just floated over to you?" Billy asked.

Bella nodded. "I never told anyone. Not even Mummy."

"But there's no such thing as magic," Billy said.

"I know," Bella said softly. "But what else could it be?"

Billy shook his head. "I don't know."

"Neither do I," Bella said. "And I hate not knowing!"

"Me too," Billy said.

"Do you think we can figure it out?" Bella asked.

"Maybe," Billy said. "We should look in some of those new books in the library. I bet we can figure something out."

Bella smiled gratefully at him. "Thanks, Billy. You're the best."

Billy grinned back at her. "So are you, Bells."

Bella smiled. "I'm glad I told you."

"And no one will hear it from me," Billy promised.

Bella believed him and knew she could trust her friend.

"Here," Billy pushed the drawing at her. "This one's for you."

Bella looked at it. "It's a dog."

"Yeah," he said sheepishly. "Not a great one..."

"It's the best drawing of a dog I've ever seen," Bella said loyally.

"You're just saying that," Billy replied. "But thanks."

"I love it," Bella said. "I'm going to put it in my room."

"Cool," Billy replied.

Mrs. Morando came around and looked at the students' progress. "Finish up soon. We need to start on our maths."

The students all groaned in unison.

"If only I'd been downstairs a little longer," Billy joked to Bella.

"You might have missed all this," Bella agreed.

"It's easy for you," Billy said. "You like maths."

"It's not that bad," Bella replied.

"You like EVERYTHING," Billy teased.

"That's cause she knows everything," Robert said from across the aisle.

"I don't," Bella said.

"Yeah you do," Robert replied. "You always get full marks."

Bella blushed.

"That's cause she's smart," Billy said loyally.

Robert laughed. "She's super smart."

Bella turned bright red.

"Are you going to play football at recess?" Billy asked Robert, changing the subject.

"Yeah!" Robert said. "It's going to be loads of fun!"

"Me too," Billy said.

"Mr. Potter was looking for you," Robert told him. "He kept staring over at your seat."

"Oh, really?" Billy asked, smiling.

"Yeah," Robert nodded.

"He's pretty cool, don't you think?" Billy asked.

Robert nodded again. "Yeah- he pulled me in his office yesterday."

"What did you talk about?" Bella asked.

"Just stuff," Robert shrugged. "How I feel about not having parents, and all that."

"Oh," Billy said thoughtfully. "

"Why?" Robert asked.

"I was just wondering," Bella said. "He really cares about all of us. You know?"

"He does," Billy nodded. It was the first time in his life anyone aside from Bella or Mrs. Conaghan had taken a real interest in him.

And he liked it.

*** *** ***

Hermione was tired when she arrived at the orphanage in the morning. Damian had no regard for the time difference and had rung her at half past three that morning and gotten angry when she proclaimed to be tired.

She knew that no matter what she did with him, it was going to be wrong. She had twelve more years to endure this.

She went into her office and switched on the small coffeepot she kept in there for mornings such as this.

To make matters worse, she had an appointment with Dr. McGraw. The headmistress had left her a message asking her to meet that morning regarding the recent changes.

Hermione rubbed at her eyes, hoping to wake herself up and hoped she looked presentable.

She gathered up her files and grabbed her coffee and headed to Dr. McGraw's office.

Dr. McGraw had given Harry the use of her office for an hour so he could go over some files with Hermione. At least, that's what he had told the head of the orphanage and school. He planned on using some of the time to do that, but what he really wanted was to talk to his best friend with no interruptions from anyone.

His mobile phone started to ring and Harry answered it. "Hello?"

"Potter," Cho Chang's voice barked at him. "You owe me big and I mean big. What kind of letch did you send over here?"

"What do you mean?" Harry asked, confused.

"Damian Conaghan," Cho told him. "He keeps making these comments to me and just a few minutes ago he paged me to the on-call room. I'll give you two guesses as to what he wanted from me."

Harry was shocked. "Cho... I'm sorry. I had no idea he'd do that."

"Well, you should feel sorry for him," Cho said. "I kneed him in the groin and told him if he tried something like that again, I'd tell the chief of staff."

Harry shook his head. "Good. That guy could use a swift kick elsewhere too."

"I'll give it to him too," Cho said. "He is a brilliant doctor, but I swear, he's the most arrogant, egotistical bloke I've ever met."

"Well thanks again for getting him out of here for awhile." Harry told her. "I really do owe you."

"How are things going with Granger?" Cho asked him.

"Could be better," he said.

"How could she stomach this asshole?" Cho asked him.

"I don't know," Harry said as a knock sounded on the door. "Hey I have to go."

"Mary," Hermione said opening the door. "I'm sorry that I'm a little---"

Harry clicked off his phone and stuffed it in his pocket as Hermione stopped still. "Where's Dr. McGraw?" she asked coolly.

"She'll be in later," Harry said. "I asked her to call you and arrange the meeting."

"Harry," Hermione shook her head. "I don't have time for this--"

"This is purely business," Harry said. "I have some computer software programs I thought we could go over."

"Oh," Hermione replied.

Harry handed her a file and produced a compact disc. "This is one that Neville said has done wonders for children with learning disabilities."

"I'd like to try it out," Hermione said, setting her files down.

Harry loaded the disc into Dr. McGraw's computer.

They spent the next few minutes going over a quick run of the program. "This is wonderful," Hermione said.

Harry smiled. "It is, isn't it?"

"What else is there?" she asked.

"Take a look," Harry said handing her the case. His hand brushed against hers.

She bit her lower lip. It was if an electric shock jolted the two of them.

"How are you?" Harry asked softly.

"Fine," Hermione answered.

"Bella mentioned that her father was away," Harry said.

"He is," Hermione said.

"I'm glad," Harry said looking at her.

"Well I'm not," Hermione lied. "I miss my husband."

"Is that so?" Harry asked.

"Yes it is," Hermione replied.

Harry knew that his best friend was good at just about everything, but lying wasn't one of her skills. At least, she'd never been able to lie convincingly to him. "I see," Harry said quietly.

"I'm not here to talk about Damian with you," Hermione said crisply.

"Fine," Harry said, grabbing another disc and loading it into the computer. "This one is for maths."

Hermione watched him run through the demo. "I like this one too."

"I liked it too," Harry said thoughtfully, making some notes. "Too bad we didn't have something like this for History of Magic. I might have managed to stay awake."

Hermione had to smile. "Professor Binns did have that sort of monotone, didn't he?"

"The Goblin Revolutions did more to change the history of our world than any other singular event," Harry said in a pitch-perfect imitation of their old professor.

Hermione laughed. "That brings back memories."

"Do you remember that time Ron started snoring in the middle of one of his lectures?" Harry asked with a grin. "It kept getting progressively loud and old Binns never missed a beat."

"I was so angry at him," Hermione recalled. "I poked him with my quill and he screamed bloody murder."

Harry laughed. "And Binns...kept talking the whole time!"

Hermione shook her head. "It was too much."

"And now Ron's a professor," Harry said. "I still can't believe it."

"Me either," she said dryly.

"Luna says he does pretty well," Harry said thoughtfully. "But, then again, she thinks he does EVERYTHING well. The other night at dinner, she was watching him eat with this starry-eyed expression on her face."

"And he never gained a stone," Hermione replied.

"I don't think he ever will," Harry said.

"So um... what other programs did you want to go over?" Hermione asked.

"These others are for the older students," Harry said, disappointed that yet again, she was putting up a wall.

"I'd like to take them and go over the rest of them tonight, if I could." Hermione busied herself with gathering up her files.

"I could come over," Harry suggested. "I could bring dinner..."

"No," Hermione said.

"He's not here," Harry argued. "He wouldn't find out, Hermione."

"I don't want you over." Hermione told him.

"Strictly business," Harry told her.

"No," Hermione repeated firmly. "Harry... we work together. That's it."

"That's what it would be," Harry said. "Work. We could go over the programs together and that's all. If I start to talk about anything else, you can kick me out."

"We can just as easily do that here," Hermione said. "I want to look at them alone."

There was a knock on the door and Michelle walked in carrying some files. "Good morning."

"Good morning," Harry said trying to hide his annoyance at the interruption. But, he thought, Michelle might be useful. It was a dirty thing to do, but he was at a loss here. "You look lovely today, Michelle."

Michelle blushed. "Thank you."

"I was wondering," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "If you would take pity on this poor bachelor and recommend a good place to eat."

"I know a few places," Michelle said, flustered. She dropped a few of her folders.

"Let me help you with those," Harry said getting out of his chair and helping her gather them. "Are you busy tonight then?"

"No," she said, almost too quickly. "Not busy. Not at all."

Hermione gaped at him. What in the world was he playing at? "Harry, I don't think it's wise for colleagues to---"

"I'd love to have dinner with you," Harry ignored her.

"You can't tonight," Hermione heard herself say.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Because we were going to work on those programs," Hermione said hastily. "I---I was thinking about that before Michelle came in actually and I think you're right. We should go over them."

Harry raised an eyebrow. "That so?"

"I'm available any other night this week," Michelle said after shooting a death glare in Hermione's direction.

"Well that sounds great," Harry said. "How about I get back to you then?"

"Absolutely," Michelle said grinning at him. Hermione rolled her eyes.

Harry waited until Michelle was gone before looking back at Hermione.

Hermione avoided his gaze and busied herself with her paperwork.

"What was that about?" he finally asked.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Hermione replied.

"Why shouldn't I go out with Michelle?" Harry asked. "Suddenly you're dying to go over these programs with me?"

"Michelle is completely wrong for you," Hermione said as if the answer was obvious.

"How would you know?" He asked.

Hermione sighed. "Michelle is a nice girl, but she's all style and no substance."

"I guess that's for me to find out." Harry told her.

"I shouldn't be surprised, should I?" Hermione asked. "You always did like the pretty girls. The ones who looked good on your arm."

Harry glared at her.

"Ginny, Cho," Hermione muttered. "Never gave girls like me a second glance."

"I told you how I feel about you," Harry said. "And you couldn't make it more clear that you don't feel the same way."

"That's not it at all!" Hermione shouted before she could stop herself.

Harry stared at her.

Hermione looked down at the desk. "I figure we can meet in the library after the last class."

"Don't change the subject now," he told her.

"I'm not changing the subject," Hermione argued.

"Yes you are," he said.

"It's not going to change anything," Hermione said looking away from him.

"It could," Harry said. "You're not happy."

"Damian and I have had our problems," Hermione said still not turning around. She'd never be able to say these lies if she had to look at him. "He's in the states consulting on a big case. He thinks that this could turn things around for us."

"He hurts you," Harry stated.

"He's a good man and a brilliant doctor," Hermione said.

"Sure," Harry said. "So brilliant he's got to smack his wife and daughter around."

"He's never laid a finger on Bella," Hermione said her voice breaking.

"Right," Harry said sarcastically.

"I'd kill him myself if he did," Hermione told Harry.

"You can't stay there," Harry said. "How long before he really hurts you, Hermione?"

"It's not going to happen again," Hermione said quietly.

"He'll put you in the hospital," Harry continued. "Or... worse. Then what will happen to your daughter?"

Hermione was silent.

Harry shook his head. "I just don't know what to do to get through to you."

"I love my husband," Hermione started to state her rehearsed speech, but Harry put a hand on her shoulder.

"You can tell me the truth," he said quietly.

"There's nothing to tell," Hermione said softly. She wanted nothing more than to have him hold her.

Harry sighed. "So are we really meeting for dinner?"

Hermione nodded. "But, no one can find out, Harry."

"I don't like this," he told her.

"It's just the way it has to be," Hermione told him.

"Fine," he relented. "What time?"

"What time's good for you?" Hermione asked.

"Seven?" he suggested.

"Seven," Hermione nodded. She reached for her files, but Harry put his hand on top of hers.

"You were wrong before," Harry said.

"What?" she asked.

"You're worth more than a thousand Ginny Weasleys," Harry said. "There were times when I would look at you and I couldn't even remember my name."

Hermione bit her lower lip.

"You feel something too," Harry said softly. "I'm not alone in this."

"I can't go there," Hermione said. "Don't ask me to."

He was standing so close she could feel his breath on her neck.

"Don't," she pleaded.

Harry turned her around. "Look at me, please."

"I have to go," she said.

"Yeah," Harry said reluctantly stepping back.

"I guess I'll see you later," Hermione didn't look back at him.

"Tonight," Harry called after her.

"Right," she let the door bang shut behind her.

She leaned against the door, trying to catch her breath.

Having him that close to her was extremely distracting. She was forced to recall feelings that were better left in the past.

But, oh how tempted, she had been. It would have been so easy to turn around and tell him everything that she was feeling.

"What was that in there?" Michelle asked from behind her.