Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: We're glad you guys like this story so far! Thank you so much to those of you who reviewed!

Coldest Winter - Kanye West

On lonely nights I start to fade
Her love's a thousand miles away
Memories made in the coldest winter
Goodbye my friend
Will I ever love again?

It's 4 A.M and I can't sleep

Her love is all that I can see
Memories made in the coldest winter
Goodbye my friend
Will I ever love again?
Memories made in the coldest winter

Goodbye my friend
Will I ever love again?

Harry could hear muffled voices, but he couldn't see anything. Where was he? How had he gotten here and why did every bone in his body ache?

"Healer Murphy," he heard a woman's voice say. "I think he's coming out of it."

"What?" Harry muttered.

"Don't try and move, Mr. Potter," a man's voice said, shining a light in Harry's face. "You're at St. Mungos."

"Why?" he asked.

Ron's laughter filled the room. "Why he asks? Mate, you took on Voldie."

"Do you mind?" the healer asked, pushing Ron out of the way.

"Ron, Ron," Harry said anxiously. "Are you okay?"

"Never been better," Ron replied.

"And---him?" Harry asked blinking as the healer shined a light in his face. "He's---?"

"Gone," Ron said with a grin. "You did it, Harry! You were bloody brilliant!"

"I was?" Harry tried to bat the light away.

"Absolutely," Ron said. "I should tell everyone that you're okay. Mum, Dad, Fred, George..."

"I'd really like to see Hermione," Harry said hoarsely.

Ron froze. "Um... how about Lupin? Tonks... Ginny?"

"I--I'll see them later," Harry stammered, trying to sit up in bed, but he felt a sharp pain in his abdomen. "I want to see Hermione."

"Lie down, Mr. Potter." the healer said.

"Fine," Harry said wincing. "I'll lie down, but I'd really like to see Hermione."

"She's not here," Ron said quietly.

"What?" Harry asked.

"You shouldn't have any visitors," the healer said. "You need your rest. You need time to heal. You have some very serious injuries, Mr. Potter. Burns, bruises, broken ribs, broken arm..."

"Where. Is. Hermione?" Harry asked through clenched teeth.

Ron stepped forward. "No one knows. She left Hogwarts the day after we did."

"WHAT?" Harry sat straight up.

"Mum and Dad tried ringing her house, but her parents said she wasn't home," Ron said.

Harry was gasping in pain as the healer again pushed him into a lying position.

"Ron," Harry said meeting his friend's worried gaze. "Please---you have to find her. I have to see her."

"I don't know where she is," Ron said helplessly.

"Find her," Harry managed to choke out before the healer poured a thick liquid down his throat.

Ron had no idea where to look, but he didn't want to let Harry down, especially after what his friend had just done.

The healer looked at Ron. "He should be out for awhile. I'm going to ask you to leave so he can rest."

"Fine," Ron replied. "I'll be back later to see him."

The healer nodded and showed Ron out the door. The moment his family and friends saw him, they swarmed him for any news on Harry.

"He's awake," Ron told them.

Ginny stood up. "Ron, did he ask for me?"

Ron shook his head. "I'm sorry, Gin. He asked for Hermione."

"What?" Ginny gasped.

Molly put an arm around her daughter. "Shhh, Ginny. Harry's been through quite a bit. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you once he's had a chance to get some rest."

"He wants me to find Hermione," Ron told them. "I'm going to check with her parents."

Fred looked at his brother. "You've tried that, Ronnie. They hung up on you, remember?"

"I'll go over there," Ron replied.

"If she really cared, she'd be here," Ginny sniffed. "I care!"

"Of course you do, darling," Molly appeased her.

Ron rolled his eyes. "I'll be back in a bit."

He headed out of St. Mungos and through the Leaky Cauldron into Muggle London. He had a vague idea of where Hermione's parents lived.

The couple of times that he'd met Hermione's parents, he hadn't actually gotten along with them. But, he wasn't going there to see them. He was going there to see Hermione. If he had to drag her to St. Mungos, he would.

He headed for Notting Hill, and remembered the street where she lived.

Ron knew that he'd have to deal with the lecture of his life from Hermione, but he'd just tell her to get over it. The important thing was that all three of them were alive.

Ron slowly walked up the steps and rang the bell.

Her mother opened the door. "Yes? Oh... Reginald, right?"

"It's Ronald, Dr. Granger," Ron corrected. He saw her grimace at the bruises on his face. "I was in a fight. It doesn't hurt."

"I see," she replied. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"I'd like to speak to Hermione," Ron replied. "Harry's in hospital and he's asking for her."

"Hermione isn't here, as we've already told you." Mrs. Granger answered.

"Will she be home soon?" Ron asked. "I can wait. Or if you know where she is, I could go to her."

"She's away," Mrs. Granger told him. "On... on holiday."

"On holiday?" Ron asked incredulously. "Dr. Granger, please. It's important that I see her."

"I'm afraid she's unreachable," Hermione's mother said coolly. "Next time I talk to her, I'll tell her to ring you, if she wants."

"That's not good enough," Ron said looking over her shoulder. "Hermione! Hermione, are you in there?"

"I beg your pardon," Mrs. Granger glared at him. "I'll thank you not to shout in my house."

"HERMIONE!" Ron shouted.

"If Hermione wants to speak with you, she'll do it of her own accord," Mrs. Granger said sharply. "Good day."

"But---" Ron protested as Hermione's mother slammed the door in his face.

"Damn it!" Ron kicked his foot. "HERMIONE!" he shouted again. "HARRY NEEDS YOU! COME TO ST. MUNGOS!"

Inside the house, Robert Granger looked at his wife. "If he doesn't leave in the next five minutes, I'm going to call the police."

"He's going," his wife peered out the window.

"Do you think we should ring Hermione and let her know that he stopped by?" Robert asked.

Mrs. Granger shook her head. "She's finally settled in at her new school, Robert. She wanted a clean break."

Robert nodded. "You're right."

"I usually am," Elinore said with a grin. "I'm just glad Hermione finally saw things our way. We humoured her long enough with that magic nonsense."

"I'm glad she came home," Robert agreed.

"Me too," Elinore said. "And she can have the life we always wanted for her."

"Speaking of which, Damien was asking about her again today," Robert said with a grin.

Elinore laughed. "Robert, he's always asking about her."

"He wants to arrange a date with her soon," Robert said. "I told him when she gets out of school, I'll have her ring him."

"That's a great idea," Elinore said with a grin. "He's perfect for Hermione and he's going to be a great doctor."

"Exactly," Robert reached for his tea.

"I'll ask Mona about it tomorrow," Elinore said. "We've been trying to set those two up since they were kids."

Robert chuckled. "Looks like it's worked."

"Finally," Elinore said laughing, too.

Back at St. Mungos, Ron was pacing in front of his friend's hospital bed. He had no idea how he was going to tell Harry that Hermione wasn't coming.

Harry mumbled something unintelligible, and Ron froze.

"Harry?" Ron asked uncertainly.

"Hermione's here..." Harry turned restlessly.

Ron sat down. "I'm sorry, Harry. I couldn't find her."

Harry mumbled again and Ron strained to make it out.

"...have to tell her," Harry muttered.

"We'll find her, mate." Ron promised.

"Mmmm," Harry murmured. "Hermione. Find...find Hermione."

"Harry," Ron poked his shoulder gently.

"Ron?" Harry asked, his eyes blinking open.

"Hi," Ron said. "Sorry... I look like quite a minger right now... probably not the greatest face to look at."

Harry let out a small laugh. "You actually look a damn sight better than you normally do."

"Gee thanks," Ron said wryly.

"I can't believe he's actually gone," Harry said reaching up absently to run his hand over his scar.

"You were bloody brilliant," Ron told him. "Mind you, I was sort of knocked unconscious for quite a bit of it..."

"I'm just glad that you're okay," Harry said. "That we're all okay."

Ron nodded. "We're all fine."

"Hermione wants us all to go on holiday," Harry said, recalling that conversation he'd had with her the night before he'd left. "I think I'll tell her how I feel about her."

"Um..." Ron gulped. "She's not at home, Harry."

"Where is she?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," Ron confessed.

Harry pulled back his covers and tried to sit up. "I have to find her, Ron."

"Harry, mate." Ron said. "You have to rest."

Harry shook his head. "Help me, Ron. I have to get out of here. Have to make her understand."

"You can't do that in the condition you're in," Ron told him.

"Ron," Harry protested.

"You won't make it far," Ron said.

"Fine," Harry relented. "But, I'm going to find her."

Ron nodded. "She's never been able to stay mad at you for long. Me, yes, but never you."

Harry nodded. "I just hope she'll forgive me."

"She will," Ron reassured him.

Harry groaned when the healer bustled back into the room.

"You are supposed to be sleeping, Mr. Potter," the healer said.

"I just woke up," Harry said defensively.

"Can you give him something else for the pain?" Ron asked the healer.

"It's not that bad," Harry muttered.

"I can give him something, yes," the healer said making some notes on Harry's chart.

"How about telling me when I can get out of here?" Harry asked.

"It'll be at least a week," the healer told him.

"A week?" Harry asked, shaking his head.

"Yes," the healer said firmly.

Harry glared at the healer. There was no way he was going to stay in here a week. He had to see Hermione and he had to make her see why he'd left the way he had.

"Just do as they say," Ron told him. "We'll find her."

Harry nodded.

"There's a girl outside asking to see you, Mr. Potter," the healer told him.

"Ginny," Ron told him. "Should I let her in?"

Harry knew that he'd have to get this over with and he didn't want to give Ginny any false hope about the two of them. "Yeah...send her in."

"She'll be glad to see you mate," Ron said.

Harry didn't have a response to that. He settled back down on the bed. The healer said she would be back with something for the pain.

A few moments later, Ginny appeared in the doorway beaming at him. "Hiya, handsome."

"Hello Ginny," Harry replied.

"I was so worried," Ginny said stepping closer. "From the moment I found out that you were gone..."

"I did what I had to do," Harry said.

"I know," Ginny said sitting down. "And now that V-Voldemort has been defeated, you and I can be together. We can do all the things that we said we would."

Harry shook his head.

The smile on Ginny's face faltered. "Harry..."

"I'm in love with Hermione," he told her straight out.

Ginny gaped at him. "Hermione Granger?"

"Yeah," Harry nodded. "She's... she's been there for me when no one else has. It just took me a long time to notice that."

"Hermione Granger," Ginny repeated. "There's no way---"

"Yes," Harry said, pushing himself up. "Ginny, what we had- it's over. It's done with."

Ginny shook her head. "She's not even here, Harry!"

"I'm going to find her," Harry said determinedly.

"You can't find someone who doesn't want to be found!" Ginny exclaimed.

"What do you know about her?" Harry asked.

"I saw her face the morning when she found out you and Ron had left her behind," Ginny told him. "She's never going to forgive you for that."

"I have to try," Harry said.

"Well," Ginny said standing up. "Don't expect me to be free when she slams the door in your face!"

"I don't," Harry said. "You need to move on."

Ginny choked out a sob before she ran out of the room.

Harry closed his eyes and rubbed at his temples, wishing that had gone better.

Ginny was wrong though. He would find Hermione and he would bring her home. The healer came in to give him another potion, but he barely noticed.

Ron came back in as Harry was dozing off again. "Ginny's upset," he reported.

"I'm sorry," Harry said hoarsely. "It---it had to be done."

"I understand," Ron told him.

"Sorry," Harry said closing his eyes. "Never, never meant to hurt her."

"I know," Ron said. "Don't worry about it. Just get some rest."

"Thanks, Ron," Harry said sleepily.

Once his friend was asleep, Ron went back out to his family.

"Ron, you should see the reporters and photographers outside," Fred told him. "I've never seen so many people."

"Harry's given those people enough already," Arthur said wisely. "The best they could do for him now is to leave him alone."

George nodded, uncharacteristically serious. "Maybe we should go out there and do something."

"I'll do it," Ron said quietly.

"Are you sure you're up for it, Ronald?" Molly asked her youngest son.

"Yeah," Ron nodded. "I'll be fine, Mum."

"They'll probably put you on the front page with all those bruises," Fred looked at him

"Maybe she'll see," Ron said absently. He didn't know if Hermione would hear or see this, but it might be the only chance he had. A few minutes later, he was stepping out onto the front steps of the hospital and reporters lobbed questions at him right and left.

"This is the only statement that I'm going to make," Ron said holding up his hand. "Harry Potter is fine. He's sustained some injuries, but the healers say he's going to make a full recovery."

"Were you there at the battle?" One reporter asked. "You Know Who is really, really gone?"

"Yes," Ron nodded.

"What is Harry going to do next?" Rita Skeeter asked pushing herself forward through the crowd.

"Whatever he wants to do," Ron said evenly. "And the less he's bothered by you, the better."

"Where is that Muggle-born girl?" Rita Skeeter asked. "Hermione Granger?"

"She's... with her parents." Ron chose his words carefully. "We hope she'll come see us soon."

"She wasn't there with you?" another reporter asked.

"No," Ron replied. "That's all I have to say."

They launched a new set of questions at him, but Ron ignored them. He'd said what he needed to say and he hoped that would be enough.

"Good day," he tipped his head at them and turned to go back inside.

"Excuse me, Ronald!" a man called out to him. Ron turned to see Ernest Lovegood coming toward him. He didn't know the man very well.

"I said all I needed to say, Mr. Lovegood," Ron said impatiently.

"If Harry wants to really tell his story and not have it sensationalised by some cheap tabloid please tell him I'd love to talk to him," Mr. Lovegood said handing Ron his card.

"I will," Ron said.

"I'm glad that you and Harry are safe," Mr. Lovegood told him. "My Luna speaks very highly of you both."

"Luna does?" Ron asked. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Mr. Lovegood replied. "Said that you were quite a Quidditch player."

"That I am," Ron said proudly.

"She enjoyed calling your matches," Mr. Lovegood told him.

"She was good at it," Ron answered.

Mr. Lovegood smiled. "She's a good girl, my Luna."

Ron nodded. "I'll have Harry owl you when he's up for it."

"Thank you, Ronald," Mr. Lovegood said clapping Ron on the back.

Ron headed inside, tucking the card into his robes.

He wasn't sure if Harry would want to speak to anyone about what had happened, but he'd give him the card and let him decide. Ron smiled to himself as he thought of Hermione. She would have known exactly what to say.

He had to find her, for Harry's sake.

Ten Years Later ...

Harry laughed as he watched the first-year students hanging on the every word of their flying instructor. He could remember all too well how he'd been in their shoes at 11 years of age listening to Madam Hooch as she told them how to mount a broom.

Madam Hooch had left the school to spend more time with her husband. The new flying instructor was a former professional Quidditch player who had retired at the top of his game. He was also the last person anyone would have expected to become an instructor.

"Professor Weasley!" one student said. "How do I get down?"

Harry watched in awe as Ron patiently told the boy how to dismount.

"Okay, you lot," Ron told them. "Remember what we practised today. Tomorrow, you'll take to the skies for the first time."

"Brilliant," two of the young boys slapped each other high fives.

"Now get out of here!" Ron told them with a grin. "It's lunch time and what does Professor Weasley say about lunch?"

A young girl raised her hand. "It's the most important meal of the day?"

Ron grinned. "Twenty points to Hufflepuff!"

"I was going to say that!" a Gryffindor complained.

"There's always tomorrow, Moran," Ron told him. He spotted Harry watching from the sidelines and he walked over to his best friend. "Alright, mate?"

Harry grinned. "Good lesson, professor."

"You saw that, eh?" Ron asked.

"You do a good job," Harry told him.

"Good?" Ron scoffed. "I am brilliant. Come on. I'm starving."

"A lunch here does sound good," Harry nodded. "Been far too long."

"Too right," Ron said slapping him on the back. "So, how was your meeting?"

"Good," Harry replied. "Everything went just fine."

Harry ran a foundation that funded projects and schools all over the world. He spent most of his time traveling from place to place.

"Where was it this time?" Ron asked as they walked back toward the castle.

"Just in Hogsmeade," Harry replied. "That's why I'm able to visit."

"Did you see that barmaid I was telling you about at The Three Broomsticks?" Ron asked. "She was something else, wasn't she?"

"She was nice," Harry nodded.

"You could ask her out," Ron suggested. "The two of you could go out with me and Loony."

"You and Loony?" Harry asked, diverting the subject away from dating.

Ron turned red. "I--I've taken her out a few times."

"When did that start?" Harry asked.

"Couple of weeks ago," Ron mumbled. "She's teaching here, too."

"What class?" Harry asked.

"Charms," Ron replied. "I kind of didn't recognise her when I first started. She was always a little mental, right? But, you should see her now? She's still mental, but she's gorgeous, Harry."

"A little mental but gorgeous?" Harry asked wryly.

Ron led the way up the steps. "Just you wait until you see her. She's actually joining us for lunch. I thought we'd eat in her office so you wouldn't have to deal with the Great Hall."

"Thanks," Harry said gratefully. "I still try to avoid a crowd."

"No problem," Ron said. "Besides, wait until you see what Loony cooked for us. She's amazing in a kitchen."

"She cooks too?" Harry asked. "Now I see why you like her."

Ron laughed. "It's certainly a perk. Come on."

Harry followed his friend upstairs. "The castle has come a long way," he said, impressed.

Ron nodded. "McGonagall's really done some great things."

"I'm glad," Harry looked around at the place that had been home to him for seven years.

"Brings back some memories, doesn't it?" Ron asked him.

"Sure does," Harry agreed.

Ron led the way down the corridor to Luna's office.

"Ronald!" the blonde beamed. "You're on time!"

"I'm always on time for meals," Ron beamed back at her.

"Hi Luna," Harry said. "Good to see you again."

"Hello, Harry!" Luna exclaimed giving him a hug. "It's so good to see you again!"

"I didn't know you were teaching," Harry said. "I thought you were writing for your dad's paper."

"I was," Luna told him. "I did a great deal of traveling, too. But, I missed home and when Headmistress McGonagall told me about the opening, I couldn't say no."

Harry nodded. "That's great. I'm glad for you two."

"How about you?" Luna asked him. "Are you seeing anyone?"

"No," Harry said.

"Ronald said you were going to ask that barmaid out from the Three Broomsticks," Luna said.

"I never said I was going to," Harry looked at Ron, who suddenly seemed interested in his robes.

"Ronald?" Luna asked.

"I just thought it'd be nice," Ron said hastily.

"You're so thoughtful," Luna said looking adoringly at Ron. "Isn't he thoughtful, Harry?"

"Yeah," Harry gave his friend a look. "Real thoughtful."

"What have you made for lunch, Luna?" Ron asked changing the subject.

"Your favourite," Luna told him, gesturing towards the table she'd set up in the corner.

"That's quite a spread," Harry said looking at the food. "How'd you manage to make all that and teach classes, Luna?"

"She's amazing, that's how," Ron said admiringly.

Luna beamed at him. "Oh, Ronald!"

Harry sat down. "This looks really great, Luna."

"Thank you," Luna said happily. "Dig in!"

Ron grabbed a plate and started loading it with one of everything.

"Just one?" Harry teased.

Ron nudged him. "This is just my first pass."

"Oh of course," Harry laughed.

The three of them were silent as they loaded their plates and started to eat.

"So," Luna said conversationally. "How are things at your foundation? I saw Neville the other day and he said things were goingreally well."

"They are," Harry nodded. "I'm headed next to a school in South Africa. They really need some funding, and besides, it's a school for orphans. I can talk to some of them."

"South Africa!" Luna exclaimed. "I've always wanted to go there!"

"I'll be mainly in Johannesburg," Harry said.

"Is it a magical school?" Luna asked.

Harry shook his head.

"When are you going there?" Ron asked.

"In a few weeks," Harry replied.

"You could let Neville go," Ron said. "I mean he's helping you, right? But, he never goes on any of those trips. It's always you."

"I like to go," Harry said.

"I was just like you," Luna said. "Daddy had me going all over the world for stories. I saw some interesting places and met some fantastic people, but this is home."

Harry knew the only place that would truly make this feel like home was Hermione.

"I, for one, am glad that you're here," Ron said before digging into his potato salad.

"Thanks mate," Harry replied. "It's nice to be back in this place again."

Luna smiled at him. "It's great to have you here, Harry. Ronald has missed having you around."

"Wish I could stay longer," Harry said sincerely.

"You could," Ron said quietly.

"This is my work," Harry shook his head.

"You're still looking for her, aren't you?" Ron asked. "Don't even try to deny it..."

"I can't help it," Harry said. "I know she's out there somewhere."

"It's been 10 years, Harry," Ron said looking at his friend. "Ten years with no contact. No letters, no calls, no visits. Nothing."

"I don't care!" Harry said vehemently.

Ron sighed. "Harry, I think it's time you faced the cold, hard truth. She's not coming back. Hell, we don't even know where she is!"

"I'm going to find her," Harry replied.

Luna touched Harry's arm. "You will find her, Harry."

"He doesn't know that for sure," Ron said.

"I always thought you and Hermione were made for each other," Luna said dreamily.

Harry had to smile at that.

"I always admired her," Luna said softly. "She was one of the most intelligent people I'd ever met. She didn't like me at first because I think she knew I fancied Ronald."

"She knew?" Ron asked in surprise.

"I'm not sure, but I figured that was why she wasn't very friendly to me when I first met her," Luna replied.

Ron sat back with a grin. "I love it when girls fight over me."

"That's because it happens so rarely," Harry said dryly.

"Hey!" Ron protested.

"Okay," Harry said. "Name another occasion when two girls fought over you."

"Hermione and Lavender," Ron replied without hesitation. "Sixth year. You remember when Hermione set those canaries after me..."

"Two times," Harry rolled his eyes.

"Technically we didn't fight over you, Ronald," Luna corrected him.

"You were both secretly in love with me," Ron said puffing out his chest. "And I always thought Padma Patil carried a torch for me..."

"What?" Harry asked laughing. "With how you ignored her at the Yule Ball?"

"That was part of my ploy," Ron replied.

"She was in my house," Luna remembered. "She cursed you every single day. She said you were the worst date ever."

"Yes well... she was the only one," Ron grumbled.

"If it makes you feel any better, my date with Parvati didn't go too well that night, either," Harry said.

"Because you were mooning over Cho Chang," Ron pointed out.

"Yes, well, there was that," Harry said. He remembered that night now for an entirely different reason. He could still see Hermione coming toward him in her dress robes. He'd never seen her look more beautiful.

Ron groaned at the sound of the bell. "Lunch is over WAY too fast!"

"Oh," Luna frowned. "Yes, it is."

"I guess I'll see you later," Ron said to Luna.

"Of course," Luna said giving him a kiss. "And don't forget we're going to chaperone the first Hogsmeade weekend together."

"I thought it was next weekend," Ron said.

Luna shook her head. "No, it's the nineteenth."

Harry froze. "September nineteenth."

"What of it?" Ron asked, grabbing another roll from the table.

"Hermione's birthday," Harry said. "Her 28th."

"Only you could remember that," Ron shook his head.

"I'd send her a birthday owl, if I knew where she was," Luna said.

"She'd just send it back unopened," Ron grumbled.

Harry said nothing, just got up from his seat. "Thank you for lunch," he said to Luna. "I've really got to get going. Got to pack."

Luna gave him a hug. "Don't be a stranger, Harry."

"I'll talk to you lot soon, I'm sure." Harry kissed her cheek.

"I'll walk you out," Ron told his friend, but Harry shook his head.

"I know my way," Harry said.

"You sure, mate?" he asked.

"Yeah," Harry replied. "Thanks again for lunch."

Ron nodded. "Let me know when you're back, okay?"

"Will do," Harry promised.

Harry left the castle and headed back to his own flat to pack up his things.

He had lived here for almost six years, but he hadn't spent more than a few nights here. He preferred living out of his suitcase and keeping busy.

Pulling the suitcase from under his bed, he started tossing in clothes at random, his mind still on his lunch with Ron and Luna, and his thoughts of Hermione.

He wondered if things would have turned out differently if he'd told her how he felt that night ten years ago.

"Bravest wizard in the world," he muttered.

Just then the fireplace rushed to life; Harry knew it would be Neville.

"Hullo, Nev." Harry said.

"Alright, Harry?" Neville asked.

"Fine," Harry replied. "Something wrong?"

Neville shook his head. "No, I just brought over the paperwork on that school in Johannesburg."

"Great," Harry replied.

"I've booked you a room at the Parktonian," Neville said. "It's within walking distance of the school."

"Works for me," Harry said. He hardly cared where he stayed. Most places were luxury compared to his living conditions at the Dursleys so many years ago.

Neville handed him the files. "I think you'll find everything you need in there."

"Great," Harry flipped it open for a moment. "I'll read this tonight."

Neville looked at his old friend. "How was your lunch with Ron?"

"It was nice," Harry said. "Did you know he and Luna Lovegood are an item?"

Neville grinned. "Luna mentioned something when I saw her last."

"They both seem happy," Harry offered. "I'm glad for them."

Neville nodded. "Me too."

"How are you doing?" Harry asked him.

"Great," Neville said with a grin. He was married to Hannah Abbott and the two of them had one child already with another on the way. "We found out today that the baby's going to be a girl."

"Congratulations," Harry grinned back at him. "That's fantastic."

"Thanks," Neville grinned. "Hannah and I were wondering if you'd be the godfather."

"Really?" Harry asked. "You want me?"

"Of course," Neville replied. "You're my best mate, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry said. "Hopefully I'll be done in Africa by the time she's born."

"Yeah," Neville said, nodding. "But, you know, if you have to extend your trip for any reason, I'd understand."

Harry thought that to be an extremely odd thing to say, but shrugged.

"So, your portkey activates at 10 a.m.," Neville said producing a wooden spoon. "You're scheduled to meet with the headmistress of the school at noon."

"Great," Harry said. "I'm looking forward to this one."

"The school needs a lot of help," Neville said.

"I'm glad to be the one to do it," Harry nodded.

"A local doctor donated a lot of money to the school a few years back, but he hasn't given anything since then," Neville told him. "You, um, might get the chance to meet him."

Harry shrugged. "If I get the chance."

Neville looked like he wanted to say something else, but he thought better of it.

"Anything else I need to know?" Harry asked him.

"No," Neville said shaking his head. "You'll find out all you need to know when you arrive."

"Okay then," Harry said. "I'll be in touch."

"Good luck, Harry," Neville said.

"Good luck?" he asked but Neville had already disappeared.

"Curious," Harry said shaking his head. He set the files down on his desk and continued packing.

He had all he needed for the next few months at least. He closed his bag and sat down with the file.

The school housed about 200 children and had a faculty of about 10 teachers.

He started to read about each one- there was a small bio on each of them. He got into the first few before he found his eyes blinking shut.

Harry figured he'd get the chance to meet all of them during his visit and he'd read up on them once he was there. Besides, he was knackered.

He stuffed the file into a pocket in the side of his bag and tossed his glasses onto his nightstand. A kip sounded like just what he needed.

Perhaps Ron was right, he thought as he closed his eyes. Perhaps it was time to forget about Hermione. It had been 10 years of no contact.

Every owl he had sent to look for her had come back with no result. He'd hired detectives, both Muggle and Wizard, but it was as if she'd vanished off the face of the earth.

Wherever she was, he hoped that she was happy and that she was safe. He knew that whatever she'd decided to do with her life; she'd have been a success.

He yawned again, turning on his side as he dropped off to sleep.

The next morning, he awoke feeling rested and ready to begin his journey. He had forgotten to read the rest of the file, so by the time he arrived at the Parktonian and unpacked, he had to be at the school.

The Kayamandi School was an old plantation house that had been renovated into a school and orphanage. The grounds were sparse and the buildings needed a good coat of paint, Harry thought as he walked up the steps.

"And some new stairs," he mumbled to himself as one creaked and nearly gave way under his weight.

There was a woman sitting at a desk in the foyer and she looked up from her paperwork. "May I help you?"

"I'm Harry Potter," he said. "I have an appointment with Dr. McGraw?"

"Oh yes," the woman replied standing up. "I'll show you to her office."

"Thank you," Harry said politely.

The woman smiled back at him. "I'm Michelle, the school secretary."

Harry held out his hand. "It's very nice to meet you."

Michelle shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. How have you found Johannesburg so far?"

"I just arrived, actually." Harry said. "Haven't really had much of a chance to check things out yet."

"Dr. McGraw will have one of the teachers show you around the city," Michelle told him.

"I appreciate that," Harry said, following her up a narrow staircase. "Is there anything in particular you can tell me about this house?"

Michelle told him the history of the house. "This used to be a sugar plantation until Dr. McGraw's family decided to turn it into a school and orphanage. As you can see, we definitely need some help."

Harry nodded. "It does look a bit run down."

"Mrs. Conaghan is heading up our fundraising campaign," Michelle told him.

"Mrs. Conaghan?" Harry asked, trying to remember if he'd read her bio.

"Yes," Michelle said leading the way down the corridor. "She's our lead teacher."

"Great," Harry replied. "Can't wait to meet her."

"You can do that now if you'd like," Michelle said. "Her classroom is right here."

Harry nodded.

Michelle opened the door and put her finger to her lips. A woman with brown hair stood at the front of the classroom writing something on the chalkboard. Her back was to them. "Now, these are simple mathematic problems," Mrs. Conaghan said writing them out on the board.

Michelle motioned for Harry to follow her to a seat to the side of the room where they'd be able to observe but not be noticed.

Mrs. Conaghan finished writing the problems on the board and turned around. "Okay, who wants to tackle that first one? Jess, how about you give it a go?"

A little girl stood up, but Harry literally felt as if his world had just stopped spinning and took no notice of her.

"Don't be scared," Mrs. Conaghan said handing the chalk to the little girl. "You know this, Jess."

Jess shook her head shyly.

Mrs. Conaghan picked up the candy jar from her desk and took out five jelly beans. "Okay, Jess. I'm going to hand you five of these, okay?"

"Yes ma'am," Jess whispered.

Mrs. Conaghan grinned as she placed the candy in the little girl's hand. "And, I want you to give me three of them back."

Jess did as her teacher asked.

"Now," Mrs. Conaghan said kneeling in front of the little girl. "How many do you have left?"

"Two," Jess said softly.

Mrs. Conaghan beamed at her. "Correct."

The little girl finally allowed a smile to flicker across her features. Harry didn't notice- he was still staring dumbfounded at the woman as she went back up to the chalkboard.

His mind had to be playing tricks on him. This couldn't be her, not after all this time? But, he knew her voice. He knew her warm, brown eyes.

"Hermione," he whispered, almost inaudibly.

He watched as she went through the rest of the problems with her class. "Okay, okay!" she exclaimed. "Miri is going to lead you out to recess. We're going to practise our reading when you get back!"

The children interrupted in a cheer and Hermione laughed. "Outside in an orderly fashion, please."

Michelle stood up. "Hermione, would you come over here, please?"

"Sure," Hermione replied, setting aside some papers.

The students filed out of the classroom and Harry slowly stood up as Hermione made her way to toward them.

"I'd like you to meet Harry Potter," Michelle introduced. "He's our newest sponsor."

Harry's eyes locked on hers. "Hermione..."