Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Wow you guys are sure eager for Harry to give it to Damian aren't you? LOL Well we do hope you enjoy this one, and things will start to wrap up soon on this fic, probably another 3-4 weeks is our guess. Also posting early today to make up for missing last week's, so please enjoy!

Fall For You - Secondhand Serenade

This is not what I intended
I always swore to you that
I would never fall apart
You always thought that I was stronger
I may have failed
But I have loved you from the start

Oh, But hold your breath
Because tonight will be the night
that I will fall for you, over again
Don't make me change my mind
I won't live to see another day
I swear it's true
Because a girl like you is impossible to find
It's impossible

So breathe in so deep
Breathe me in
I'm yours to keep

"You son of a bitch!" He raced in and shoved the other man up against the wall.

"Let go of me!" Damian shouted.

"You don't get to touch her EVER AGAIN!" Harry said his eyes blazing.

Harry grabbed his wand out of his back pocket and pointed it at Damian. The older man laughed at him. "What are you going to do with that, Potter? Poke my eye out?"

"I could kill you with this," Harry said angrily.

"I don't have time for one of your little parlour tricks," Damian said defiantly.

Harry muttered a spell that rendered Damian speechless.

Damian's brave facade crumbled.

"You will never go near her again," Harry said, slamming him against the wall. "You will never go near Bella again. Or I will kill you. And they'll never find your body."

"And I'm not dropping the charges," Hermione said to her husband. "You're going to pay for this. For once in your horrible life, you're going to pay.

"Give him his voice back," Hermione said, pushing herself up.

"You're sure?" Harry asked her. When Hermione nodded, Harry did as she asked.

"You... bitch..." Damian said weakly.

Hermione just shook her head. "I'm not going to take it anymore, Damian. You can call me whatever you want. It doesn't mean anything to me."

Harry smirked at the other man.

"I'll file for divorce and you're not going to get anything," Damian said. "You'll have nothing. I'll be the wronged husband trying to provide for his family while his whore of a wife shagged anything that moved."

"Not so," Harry glared at him. "I was there that night. I saw what you did."

"Who would believe you?" Damian asked.

"I would," Elinore said from the door. Bella held tightly to her grandmother's hand.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Damian asked.

"Claiming my daughter," Elinore snapped.

Bella made a move to go toward her mother and Damian reached for her.

"NO!" Bella wailed.

Harry shoved the man out of the way. "Touch her and I'll kill you now," he said, his green eyes alit with his rage.

Bella ran over to her mother's bed. Hermione held her daughter tightly. "It's okay, baby. It's okay. He's not going to hurt you or me ever again."

"I don't want to leave you again," Bella said.

"You never will," Hermione vowed looking pointedly at her husband as she said this. "You're mine."

"Not according to that contract," Damian sneered.

"Contract?" Harry asked, playing dumb. Elinore had found a copy of it last night when she'd gone back to the house to pick up some belongings for Hermione and Bella. Harry had owled it over to Neville.

"Yes," Damian snarled. "She signed it when we first married."

"Ironclad, is it?" Harry asked.

"Completely," Damian replied.

"Did you read over the contract yourself?" Harry asked. "Before you signed it? I mean, all that fine print..."

"Of course I did," Damian said, glaring at Harry.

"Well," Harry said. "I guess you missed the clause that stated the contract would be null and void if either party in the marriage was convicted of a felony?"

Hermione gasped. "What?"

Damian's smile faltered. "What are you talking about?"

Harry resisted the urge to laugh. "Contract is null and void, Conaghan."

Damian did not remember any such phrasing in the contract. He wondered if Potter was bluffing.

"I'll be happy to have a copy mailed to your attorney," Harry said.

"Not so tough now, are you?" Hermione asked.

"I'll find a way out of this," Damian growled.

"Good luck with that," Harry said. "And---you know, I have it on good authority that you led quite the life while you were at Johns Hopkins. Dismissed due to sexual harassment and improper conduct..."

Elinore shook her head angrily.

"And we both know you haven't been a very faithful husband," Hermione said glaring at him.

"What about you," Damian countered, advancing on her. "You were probably shagging him soon as he got here."

"I think it's time you said goodbye, Conaghan," Harry said, grabbing him by the arm.

Damian jerked away. "I ought to-"

Harry pointed his wand at Damian's throat. Bella's eyes grew large as she watched this unfold.

"I told you," Harry said darkly.

"I'll see you in court," Damian said glaring at Harry and then shooting a menacing glance in the direction of his wife and daughter.

Hermione lifted her chin. "Yes, we will."

Damian stalked out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "I'm better than okay."

"Good," he said.

"What you said about that contract?" Hermione asked. "That was real?"

Harry's smile faltered a bit. "Not exactly. I sent a copy to Neville last night… and he's going to see what we can do about it."

"No jury in its right mind would let him go free," Elinore said. "When he's convicted, he'll have no claim. None at all."

"That's the idea," Harry said.

Bella's eyes were still on the wand in Harry's hand.

"Sweetheart?" Hermione asked. "Are you all right?"

"W-what's that, Mummy?" Bella asked pointing at the wand.

Harry looked at Hermione, who nodded. "It's a wand, Bella. For magic."

"Magic?" Bella whispered.

"All those stories about Buckbeak..." Hermione said. "Those were true."

Bella looked up at her mother. "Really? You could--"

Harry sat down on the edge of the bed. "Your mum was the smartest witch of her age. Top marks in all her classes."

"How come you never do magic?" Bella asked.

"Your daddy didn't like it," Hermione replied. "He wanted me to hide who I was and for awhile, that was okay for me. But, I missed it. I missed who I really was."

"Can I see?" Bella asked.

Harry handed Hermione his wand. "Go ahead, Granger."

Hermione smiled. "Wingardium Leviosa," she waved the wand at the pitcher of water and it floated into the air.

Bella's jaw dropped. "Mummy!"

"I'll have to get my old wand out," Hermione looked at her mother. "If my things are still at the house, that is."

Elinore nodded. "They're in the attic."

"You really kept my things?" Hermione asked.

Elinore smiled at her daughter. "For the longest time, they were all that we had left of you. I used to go up in the attic and look at them."

"I'm sorry," Hermione said, tears springing to her eyes.

"You don't have to apologise," Elinore said squeezing her daughter's hand. "We've found each other again and I'm so proud of you and my granddaughter."

"I love you Grandma," Bella reached for her.

"I love you too," Elinore said hugging her tightly.

"Now we just have to get through a courtroom scene," Hermione sighed.

"You're not going to do it alone," Elinore reassured her.

"I'll be there," Harry promised.

"I'd like that," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I've rented a hotel room where I'm staying," Harry replied. "The adjoining one to mine."

"I was thinking it would be best for Hermione and Bella to stay with Robert and me," Elinore said.

"I still have my work here, Mum." Hermione said. "And Bella has school here."

"Oh," Elinore said trying to hide her disappointment.

"We'll visit," Hermione promised. "Weekends and days off."

Elinore smiled. "I'd love that."

"I can't wait to see Dad," Hermione said softly.

"He's flying into Johannesburg this afternoon," Elinore told her.

"He is?" Hermione asked. "Really?"

Elinore nodded and smiled at Bella who was still holding on to her mother. "He can't wait to see you again and to meet Isabella."

"Is my grandpa nice?" Bella asked.

"He is," Elinore said. "And he's going to love you."

"I hope so," Bella said fervently.

"I know so," Hermione said giving her daughter a kiss on the cheek.

"It's going to be okay now, right Mummy?" Bella asked.

Hermione nodded. "It is, baby."

"I don't want to see him again," Bella said.

"You don't have to worry about him," Harry said. "You're going to be busy with school and helping your mum get better."

Bella smiled.

"You know what I bet your mother would love?" Elinore asked Bella. "If you and I go down to the gift shoppe and buy her a book and some flowers. What do you think?"

"A big book," Bella nodded. "Right Mummy?"

Hermione smiled. "Right, sweetheart."

Harry smiled as Elinore took Bella and left the two of them alone. "Can I get you anything?"

"You've done so much for me already," Hermione said softly, patting the space beside her on the bed.

"You were the brave one," Harry told her.

"For once," Hermione said quietly.

"How come you didn't tell me about the contract?" he asked,

"I didn't see any way out," Hermione replied looking away from him.

"I'd have still helped you," Harry pointed out.

Hermione did not reply. If she had said something sooner, maybe this all could have been avoided.

"Don't blame yourself," Harry reached for her hand.

"I would have done anything to protect my daughter," Hermione said.

"I don't blame you," Harry said.

Hermione started to cry and Harry gingerly held her, not wanting to aggravate her injuries.

"It's okay," he said softly. "You're going to be okay now."

"Am I?" Hermione asked.

"Absolutely," Harry told her.

"My hero," Hermione said holding him tightly.

Harry kissed the top of her head. "I won't ever leave you again."

"I'm so tired," Hermione said.

"Sleep then," he said.

"Lie down with me?" Hermione asked.

"Of course," Harry replied.

Hermione touched his cheek. "Thank you."

"I'll do anything for you," he told her.

"I'd do anything for you," Hermione said.

Harry smiled at her. "Just get some rest."

"I think I can do that," Hermione said lying back down on her bed.

"I'll be here when you wake up," he promised.

Hermione reached for his hand. She had dreamed about being with him like this for so long.

"You won't find me gone when you wake up this time," Harry added.

"Don't let go," Hermione said before she closed her eyes.

"I won't," Harry circled his arms around her.

Harry kissed the top of her head. "Sweet dreams."

*** *** ***

Elinore kept Bella at her hotel the next day and Hermione was still at the hospital; Harry went into the school, knowing that it would be all over the place about what had happened the previous night and his involvement in everything that had transpired.

After he met with the headmistress, Harry walked upstairs to Billy and Bella's classroom. He wanted to check on any assignments Bella might have missed and he would drop them off at Elinore's hotel after school.

"Good morning Mrs. Morando," Harry said to her.

"Good morning," Mrs. Morando said. Her students were filing one by one into the classroom as class was to start in a few minutes. "How is Isabella?'

"She's with her grandmother," Harry said. "She probably won't be back for a few days, so I was going to collect her assignments."

Mrs. Morando nodded. "Give me just a moment and I'll gather those for you."

"Thank you," Harry said as Billy came into the room. "Hey--" his words died as Billy stalked past him.

"Billy?" Harry asked.

Billy glared at him and turned the other way.

"I take it you heard what's happened?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Billy said sullenly. "And now because of you, Bella's in some nasty home."

It was suddenly clear to Harry why Billy was acting the way he was. "Mrs. Morando?" Harry asked the teacher. "I'm just going to step outside in the hall with Billy here."

Mrs. Morando nodded. "Of course."

Harry led the way out into the corridor. Billy folded his arms and glared up at him.

"Billy," Harry began. "I don't think you know the whole story."

"I know enough," Billy muttered.

"Well what do you think you know?" he asked.

"My best friend is in a children's home because you snitched," Billy snapped at him.

"Billy she's not in a home," Harry said. "Her grandmother and I took her out not long after she was brought in. Who told you otherwise?"

Billy shrugged.

"You can tell me," Harry said. "No one will get in trouble."

Billy kicked his foot against the wall. "Everyone's talking about it."

"Billy she's at a hotel with her grandmother right now," Harry reassured him. "She's going to visit her mum in a couple of hours."

Billy looked uncertainly at him. "For real?"

"I promise," Harry said solemnly.

"Is Mrs. Conaghan okay?" Billy asked.

"She will be okay," Harry replied.

"Bells, too?" Billy asked.

"Bella's fine," Harry smiled at him.

Billy finally smiled. "Good. I was really worried."

"Perhaps this afternoon we can go see them," Harry suggested.

"I'd like that," Billy replied.

"Unless of course you're going somewhere with those people..." Harry said.

Billy shook his head. "I'm not."

"Oh," Harry nodded. "Okay then..."

"Bells is really, really okay?" Billy asked.

"I promise you," Harry said. "Nothing happened to her. She's fine."

"And her Dad?" Billy asked.

"He's going on trial," Harry said. "I don't think things look good for him."

Billy nodded. He had never liked Bella's father.

"Come on," Harry put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Time for class to start."

"It's going to be boring without Bells," Billy told him.

"You'll get through it," Harry grinned.

Billy laughed. "Says you."

"I'll stop by after class is over to take you to see Bella," Harry promised as they went back in the classroom.

Mrs. Morando beckoned Harry over to her desk. "I've included the assignments for the next few days." She handed him a folder and some books.

"Thank you," Harry said. "I know Hermione will appreciate this."

Billy sat back down at his desk.

"I heard that her dad beat her mummy up," one of the boys in the class was whispering to someone else.

Billy turned and glared at him. "Shut up about it."

"I wonder if he hit her, too?" Jordan asked. "She was out a lot."

"I said shut up," Billy stood up. "Bells is okay."

The other boy laughed and nudged Jordan. "Don't insult his girlfriend, mate."

Billy wanted nothing more than to punch his classmate's lights out.

"William," Mrs. Morando called out to him. "Take your seat."

"Yeah," the boy laughed. "Take your seat."

Billy rounded on him and grabbed him by the collar. He reared back to punch him when someone one pulled him back.

"That's not the answer to this," Harry said, holding his arm.

"Let me go!" Billy protested.

"Come with me for a minute," Harry nodded at Mrs. Morando. "I'll have him back soon."

"Of course," Mrs. Morando nodded.

Harry led the younger boy down the corridor to his office. "What was that all about?"

"They were making comments about Bella!" Billy shouted at him. "I wasn't just going to sit there!"

Harry nodded. "And you thought punching him would help her?"

Billy shrugged. "It would have made me feel better!"

"And it would have landed you in hot water," Harry told him. "Besides that... I don't think Bella would like hearing you were hitting another person. Not after what just happened."

Billy nodded and looked down at the floor. "Right," he said quietly.

"I understand she's your friend and you want to defend her, but what's best is if you hear people talking about what happened, tell us and we'll deal with it." Harry told him in a gentler tone.

Billy looked up at him. "I'll try."

"You're a good kid, Billy," Harry told him. "I don't know if people ever tell you that. But you are."

"Just you and Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. "You're the only ones."

"That's a shame," Harry put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Since I've been here, I really have come to think of you like a friend."

Billy beamed up at him. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Harry said. In truth, he felt more like a father figure to the boy, but didn't want to verbalize that.

Billy grinned. "Thanks, Harry."

"Back to class with you," Harry patted him on the shoulder. "And I'll see you later."

"Harry?" Billy asked just before he walked back into the classroom. "If I still had a dad, I'd---I'd want him to be like you."

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but Billy had already ducked back inside. The boy's comment left him dumbfounded.

While Harry was trying to process all of this, Hermione was sitting up in her hospital bed, reading a book when a knock on the door startled her.

"Neville!" Hermione exclaimed. "What on earth---"

"Hi," he said nervously. "Can... can I come in?"

"Of course," Hermione said setting her book aside. She noticed Neville flinched when he came closer. "If you think I look bad, you should see the other guy," she tried to joke.

"I should have realised--" Neville began.

Hermione shook her head. "Neville, you weren't to know."

"I should never have let this go on so long," Neville said. "I should have told Harry and Ron ages ago that I've known where you were."

"You made a promise to me and you never broke your promise," Hermione said. "Neville, if anyone should be apologising it's me. I put you in a terrible position."

Neville shrugged.

"And you did lead Harry in this direction," Hermione said softly. "And that's the best thing you could have done for my daughter and me."

"I hope so," Neville replied. "He told me he brought your mother here."

Hermione nodded. "She's with Bella right now. My father's supposed to arrive sometime this afternoon."

"That's great," Neville told her. "I know how long it's been since you saw him."

Hermione nodded and wiped at her eyes. "How about you? How's your family doing? Hannah's due to give birth any day now?"

Neville nodded. "I'm really excited."

"I can imagine," Hermione said. "Have you and Hannah picked out any names yet?"

"For a boy, Jason." Neville replied. "If it's a girl, Samantha."

Hermione smiled. "Those are great names, Neville."

"Thanks," Neville grinned at her.

"There's something I'd like to ask you," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Of course," Neville said. "Anything."

"Damian and I never---we never really got around to naming godparents for Isabella," Hermione said. "He said it was a waste of time."

"There's a lot of things I'm sure he said that weren't right," Neville shook his head.

"Yeah," Hermione said squeezing his hand. "But, I'd like to change that now. I was wondering if you'd be Isabella's godfather?"

"Really?" Neville asked.

"Really," Hermione replied.

"I'd love that," Neville said. "I really would."

Hermione smiled. "Thank you."

"Are you thinking of moving back to London?" he asked.

"I don't know," Hermione replied honestly.

"What comes next for you and Bella?" Neville asked. "And Damian?"

"There will be a trial," Hermione said. "And if he's convicted, I get full custody of Bella. He was arrested again this morning. He wasn't supposed to come anywhere near me, but he did and Harry notified the authorities."

"Good," Neville nodded. "He deserves nothing good."

"I thought he was going to kill me," Hermione said quietly.

"I wonder if he would have, if Harry hadn't come in." Neville said.

Hermione did not like to think about that. "Well, you know how much he loves riding to my rescue. That whole 'saving people' thing he has."

"That and he loves you," Neville said directly.

"Neville," Hermione blushed.

"He does," Neville said. "He never stopped. He never stopped looking for you."

"I love him too," Hermione admitted. "I wanted to tell him, but I couldn't."

"You can," Neville said. "There's nothing he won't do for you."

"I'm scared," Hermione said softly.

"I know," Neville squeezed her hand. "But now you have your parents back. You have me and Hannah, you have Harry and you also have your daughter."

"You're going to make me cry again," Hermione said smiling at him.

"We don't want that," Neville joked. "Are you hungry?"

"Starving," Hermione replied.

Neville reached for the hospital menu. "If you don't' see something on here that you want, I'll go get you something."

"I'd love a cheeseburger with everything on it," Hermione told him.

"Chips?" Neville asked.

"Of course," Hermione grinned.

"There's a cafe around the corner," Neville said. "I'll go there."

"Thanks, Neville," Hermione said gratefully.

"Be back in a few minutes," he said, ducking out the door.

Hermione reached for her book again, but the phone rang. "Hello?"

"I didn't wake you, did I?" Harry asked.

"No," Hermione said. "Neville's here. He's just gone to get me something to eat."

"He said he might stop by," Harry said. "How are you?"

"I'm... okay." Hermione said.

Harry did not miss her hesitation. He knew that she was still figuring things out. "I was thinking I'd bring Billy by later to see Bella."

"She'll love that," Hermione replied.

He told her that he had picked up Bella's assignments and told her some of the things that were going on at the school.

"They all know, don't they?" Hermione interrupted him.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Billy almost got into a fight with one of the other boys today over it."

Hermione sighed. "Almost?"

"I stopped it," Harry told her.

Hermione smiled. "Good."

"He told me if he still had a dad, he would want him to be like me," Harry confessed.

"Oh, Harry," Hermione whispered.

"He's such a great kid," Harry said. "And... it didn't hit me until now... that I don't want to see him go anywhere."

"What are you saying, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know yet," Harry said.

"We can talk about it when you come by later," Hermione said. "And Harry, I'd really like it if you'd be here when my father arrives."

"You would?" he asked.

"You don't have to, if you don't want to," Hermione started to say.

"I'll be there," Harry said. "Without a doubt."

"There's something I wanted to tell you, too," Hermione said softly.

"There is?" Harry asked.

Hermione smiled. "Something I've been wanting to say for quite awhile, actually."

Harry didn't dare allow himself to think what he wanted to think. Surely after all she had just gone through, she wanted some time to herself.

"I'll see you later then?" Hermione asked.

"I'll be there with Billy soon as school is out," Harry promised. "Is there anything you'd like me to bring?"

"No, I have everything I need," Hermione replied.

"Okay," Harry said. "I'll see you in a few hours."

"See you," Hermione said.

Harry waited until she'd hung up. "I love you," he said quietly.

The rest of the afternoon seemed to go by way too slowly for Harry. He was preoccupied with thoughts of Hermione, Billy and seeing Robert Granger again after all this time.

He wondered what the older man would think of him now. He was all too aware of what Hermione's father used to think... but after everything that had happened since his arrival in Johannesburg, he hoped they would be able to make peace.

Billy knocked on his door. "Harry?"

Harry jumped. "Billy!"

"Sorry," Billy apologised.

"That's okay," Harry said. "I was just thinking about some things."

"Mrs. Conaghan?" Billy asked.

"Among other things," Harry nodded.

"Are you ready to go?" Billy asked him.

"I sure am," Harry said, pushing back his chair. "What's that you've got?"

"Something I made for Bells in art class," Billy said.

Harry smiled. "She'll like that."

"I hope so," Billy replied.

"Let's get going," Harry said.

Billy grinned. He couldn't wait to see his best friend and make sure she was okay.

Harry put his hand on Billy's shoulder as he led him outside. "You'll get to meet Bella's grandparents today," he told him.

"What?" Billy asked.

"She stayed with her grandmother last night," Harry explained. "And her grandfather is on his way here."

"Oh," Billy said quietly.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked.

"I've never met them before," Billy replied. "What if they don't like me?"

"What's not to like?" Harry asked.

"I'm an orphan for one," Billy said.

"So am I," Harry reminded him.

"Do Mrs. Conaghan's parents like you?" Billy asked him.

"I haven't seen her father in a long time," Harry said honestly. "But her mother does."

"Is her father really scary?" Billy asked.

Harry chuckled. "No."

"Good," Billy said feeling slightly better.

"Bella's going to be excited to see you," Harry assured him.

"I hope so," Billy said as they left the school. They arrived at the hospital a few moments later. Hermione was sitting up in bed and Bella was colouring on the tray table. "Bells!" Billy called to her.

Bella looked up and grinned. "Hey Billy!"

"You're okay," Billy commented.

Bella nodded. "Me and my mummy are okay now."

"Hi, Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said.

"Hello, Billy." Hermione said. "How are you?"

"Fine," Billy said. "Wow...that's quite a shiner you have."

"Billy..." Harry nudged him.

"Sorry," Billy said hastily.

"My grandma went to go meet my grandpa at the airport," Bella said.

"Oh," Billy said, relieved. He showed Bella his picture that he'd drawn for her and she gushed and told him she would hang it up in her room.

"Hi," Harry said leaning over to give Hermione a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi," she turned a bit red. "I wish I didn't look like such a minger..."

"Shhh," Harry said touching her cheek. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," she said softly.

"Any word on you getting out of here anytime soon?" he asked, taking a seat beside her bed.

"I haven't heard anything yet," Hermione said. "Probably another day or two."

He reached for her hand.

"They're still worried about that concussion," Hermione said quietly.

"Me too," Harry said.

"I'll be okay," Hermione said. "I want to go home and have all this be done with."

"Home?" Harry asked her.

"Yeah," Hermione said.

"Where is home now?" Harry asked her.

"I guess that depends on the outcome at Damian's trial," Hermione answered. "How much money I have coming out of it. Either way, I want to find a new place to live."

"In Johannesburg?" Harry asked, but Hermione didn't get a chance to answer.

"Dad?" Hermione asked, looking over Harry's shoulder.

"Hermione!" Robert's face went from happy to angry as he saw the damage his son in law had inflicted.

Hermione started to cry. "Oh, Daddy."

Robert rushed past Harry to hug his daughter.

Billy tugged on Harry's arm. "He's really tall," he whispered.

"Yes he is," Harry nodded.

"I'm so sorry, sweetheart," Robert was saying to Hermione.

"It's my fault," Hermione told him.

Robert shook his head. "No, it's Damian Conaghan's. I swear he's not going to get away with this, Hermione. I promise you that. I'll get you the best barrister."

"But Dad--" Hermione began to protest.

"I haven't been here for you, but I'm here now," Robert cut her off. "We'll make this right."

"Thanks," Hermione whispered. "Dad... I'd like you to meet your granddaughter, Bella."

"Um, hi," Bella said nervously.

Robert crouched down so he was more at Bella's height. "Hello, Bella. I'm glad to finally meet you."

Bella's hand was shaking as she extended it to the older man. "Nice to meet you."

"Ellie and I are staying for a week," Robert said. "So I hope we can spend some time together."

Bella nodded. "Can Billy come, too?"

Robert looked at the young boy standing by Harry.

"This is Bella's best friend," Hermione told her father. "Billy, this is Bella's grandfather, Robert Granger."

"Hi," Billy said nervously.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Billy," Robert said shaking his hand. "Any friend of my granddaughter's is a friend of mine."

"I'm Elinore," Elinore told the little boy. "I'm Bella's grandmother. She's told us so much about you."

"She did?" Billy asked.

Bella's cheeks turned pink. "I left out a bit, Billy. I promise."

"It's okay," Billy said.

"Billy's my bestest friend in the whole wide world," Bella announced.

Harry chuckled as Billy's face turned red. "He's a good kid."

Robert stood back up and levelled his gaze at Harry. "Potter," he said.

"Hello, Robert," Harry said, holding out his hand.

Robert shook it. "I wanted to thank you for what you did for my daughter and granddaughter."

Harry nodded. "I wish I could have done something sooner."

"Me too," Robert said. "But, we can make up for it now. Hermione, you and Bella can move back to London---"

"I don't know where I'm going just yet," Hermione interrupted. "Dad, I know you want what's best, but I'm not sure moving back to London is what I want to do."

"I think it would be best for you to be surrounded by your family right now," Robert argued.

"I will be," Hermione said. "I have to get through this court case now with Damian. Soon as I can, I'm going to file for divorce."

"The last time we tried to steer Hermione in a direction, it didn't end up too well," Elinore pointed out to her husband.

"Well yes but--" Robert began.

"I know you care," Hermione pushed herself into a sitting position. "But I have to do what's best for Bella."

Robert nodded. "I just don't want to lose you, Hermione."

"You won't," Hermione promised. "Not again."

Robert squeezed her hand.

"Are you tired, love?" Elinore asked her daughter.

"The pain medicine makes me a little drowsy," Hermione told her.

"We'll go get something to eat with the children," Elinore said. "And come back later."

"Bella, would you and Billy like that?" Hermione asked her daughter.

Bella nodded and looked at her best friend.

Billy nodded. "Sure."

"Harry," Hermione said. "Will you stay a moment?"

"Of course," Harry replied.

"You're not coming with us?" Billy asked him anxiously.

"We could wait outside and then Harry could come with us," Elinore said sensing the boy's nervousness.

"Thanks," Harry said to her. "I'll just be a few moments."

Elinore smiled and she and Robert led the children outside.

"He was really nervous about meeting them," Harry explained to Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "Bella was talking about him all afternoon."

Harry sat on the edge of her bed. "She seems to be doing okay."

"Better than me," Hermione commented.

Harry stroked her hand. "If you want to talk about it..."

"Not right now," Hermione said. "Not... yet."

"When you want to, I'm here," Harry said.

"I know," Hermione said. "I don't know how to thank you, Harry. Everything's changed since you came."

"We've gone over this," Harry reminded her. "You don't have to thank me."

"Yes I do," Hermione said. "If you hadn't come here, I'd still be with Damian and still taking his abuse because I always thought I deserved it."

Harry shook his head. "You didn't deserve it."

"I know that now," Hermione replied, leaning back on her pillows.

"I wish I could have gotten there sooner," Harry said. "I could have stopped him."

"You did, today." Hermione said.

Harry leaned forward and brushed his lips softly against hers.

Hermione closed her eyes and willed the tears that sprang up away.

"What is it?" Harry asked her.

"I don't know how you can love me still," she whispered.

"How could I not?" Harry asked her.

Hermione shook her head. "I can't promise anything right now, Harry... but once I've straightened everything out... maybe we could try..."

"Try what?" Harry asked gently.

"Being together," she said softly.

"Try being together," Harry said thoughtfully.

"If you still want me," she finished, her voice almost inaudible.

"Hermione," Harry said looking at her. "I've wanted to be with you for a very long time."

This time she didn't hold her tears back and Harry carefully enveloped her in his arms.

"I've waited this long," Harry said into her hair. "I can wait a little longer."

She nodded. "Thank you."

"I'd better go and let you get your rest," Harry said softly.

"Will you be back later?" she asked.

Harry nodded. "Bella and I have a surprise for you."

"You do?" Hermione asked.

"A big surprise," Harry said with a grin.

"No hints?" she asked.

Harry shook his head. "No hints. I promised Bella."

Hermione had to smile. "That sounds like my daughter."

Harry gave her another gentle kiss. "I'll be back later."