Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Here you see what's been going on with Hermione, as well as her seeing Harry for the first time since that night. Be sure and stick around tomorrow for the second and final half of our Christmas ficlet!

Apologize - Timbaland

I'm holding on your rope
Got me ten feet off the ground
And I'm hearing what you say
But I just can't make a sound
You tell me that you need me
Then you go and cut me down
But wait...
You tell me that you're sorry
Didn't think I'd turn around and say..

That it's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late

I'd take another chance, take a fall, take a shot for you
And I need you like a heart needs a beat
(But that's nothing new)
Yeah yeah

I loved you with a fire red, now it's turning blue
And you say
Sorry like the Angel Heaven let me think was you,
But I'm afraid

It's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late

Her jaw fell and she stared at him for a long moment.

"It's nice to meet you," Harry said extending his hand.

"You... you as well." Hermione managed.

"Mr. Potter is going to be with us for quite some time," Michelle told Hermione. "I was just showing him to Dr. McGraw's office when I thought it would be nice for him to watch you in action."

"I see," Hermione said, her voice high. "Um... I really don't think it would be wise to have him in here when the children return. They're easily distractible."

"Actually, I was wondering if you could show him to Dr. McGraw's office?" Michelle asked. "I just remembered I didn't have anyone cover the desk for me..."

"I... uh... I suppose I could," Hermione said lamely.

"Thank you," Michelle said gratefully. "It was nice to meet you, Mr. Potter."

"You too," Harry nodded. "I'm sure I'll be seeing you again soon."

Harry slowly turned around to look at Hermione. "I can't believe---," he started to say.

"How the HELL did you find me?" she asked harshly.

"Hermione," Harry said holding his hand up. "I never in a million years thought I'd find you here. I just thought that---"

"I don't know what you're trying to play at," Hermione's voice shook. "But you can just stop it and leave right now. I want nothing to do with you!"

Harry had envisioned a hundred different scenarios of how it would be when he saw Hermione again. This was going entirely wrong. "I'm not playing at anything. I run a foundation that funds programs around the world. I heard about your school and here I am. I had no idea that you'd be here."

Hermione shook her head. "I'll show you to Dr. McGraw's office."

"Wait," Harry said reaching for her hand. He noticed the ring and he suddenly remembered that Michelle had called her Mrs. Conaghan. "You're...you're married."

"Yes I am," Hermione said shortly. "For almost nine years now."

Harry felt like he'd been kicked in the stomach. "Oh."

Hermione turned to leave when a little brown haired girl hurtled into the room.

"Mummy!"

Harry felt like he'd been punched for a second time as Hermione scooped the little girl into her arms.

"Isabella Conaghan, you're supposed to be on the playground," Hermione said smiling at the little girl.

"But I wanted to show you my picture," Bella said.

"I would love to see your picture," Hermione said setting her down. The little girl looked warily up at Harry. "Who are you?"

"I'm... I'm a friend of your mum's," Harry said.

She looked so much like Hermione that it was disconcerting. She studied him for a few moments. "My name's Bella. Holy cricket! That's a cool scar!"

"Oh..." Harry remembered that he no longer wore his hair longer to hide his scar- he'd grown so accustomed to it. "Thanks..."

"Do you want to see my picture, too?" Bella asked him.

"I'd love to," Harry replied.

Bella beamed at him. "Here!"

She had drawn a picture of an elephant's body with the head of a dragon. "Wow," Harry said. "That's incredible!"

"You really, really like it?" she asked him.

"I think it's smashing," Harry told her.

Bella turned around to look at her mother. "I like him, Mummy!"

Hermione smiled faintly. "Sweetheart, you need to be outside, okay?"

"I want to stay with you," Bella pouted. "Please?"

"I have to show Mr. Potter around," Hermione explained.

"But, Mummy," Bella argued.

"I'll see you after school," Hermione said, her tone leaving no room for a strop.

Bella turned around to look up at Harry. "It was very nice to meet you, Mr. Potter."

"You too, Bella," Harry crouched down again and put out his hand.

Bella giggled and shook his hand. "Bye."

Harry straightened back up and looked at Hermione, but she was glaring at him. "What?"

"I would really like it if you'd just go," Hermione said trying very hard to keep her emotions in check.

"I can't," Harry told her. "I told you, I'm sponsoring this orphanage and school. I bring funding in to get places that are struggling back on their feet. I also counsel orphans."

"He told you, didn't he?" Hermione asked, shaking her head. "I can't believe this. I ask him to do one little thing for me..."

"Who told me?" Harry asked, confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't play innocent with me," Hermione retorted.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Harry said.

"Right," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "Come on. Dr. McGraw is waiting."

"Hermione--" Harry said. "What... why?"

"Neville," Hermione rounded on him. "He told you where I was and here you are---"

"Neville?" Harry asked, dumbfounded. "Neville knows you're here?"

It suddenly made sense to him. Neville looking a little nervous as he handed him the files last night. The way that Neville had wished him good luck and how he'd said he'd understand if Harry needed to extend his trip.

"He's known all along where you were," he said, staring at her.

Hermione stared back at him. He looked genuinely gob smacked to see her. "Yes."

"The whole time?" he asked in disbelief.

"Yes," Hermione said quietly.

A sudden fury at his friend washed over Harry and he slammed his fist against a desk.

Some friend Neville was, Harry thought bitterly. Neville knew that Harry had been looking for Hermione and he'd never let on that he knew where she was.

When he looked back at Hermione he was surprised to see she was shaking. "What's wrong?"

"You startled me is all," Hermione replied. "When you banged your fist on the desk. I wasn't expecting it..."

"Oh," Harry said. "Sorry..."

Hermione nervously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She was just as beautiful as he remembered. Harry longed to hold her in his arms.

"I'll take you to Dr. McGraw," she pushed past him. He grabbed her arm and she yelped.

"Hermione?" Harry asked.

"I'm fine," she said quickly. "The office is just this way."

Harry dropped his hand. He had so many things he wanted to ask her.

Without another word, Hermione led him down a musty smelling corridor.

"I'm sorry," Harry said.

She didn't say anything.

"I missed you," Harry said softly.

"Don't," she snapped.

She stopped in front of Dr. McGraw's office. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone else where I am."

"I'm not the only one who was worried about you," Harry told her. "Ron---"

Hermione snorted. "I'm sure he was beside himself."

"We both were," Harry said looking at her. "You have no idea what it was like."

"I'm not getting into this now," Hermione told him. "Dr. McGraw is expecting you." she turned to leave.

"I'm not going anywhere," he called after her.

Hermione didn't respond in any way, only disappeared around a corner.

When she was alone, she leaned against the wall for support.

"What is he DOING here?" she whispered.

"Hermione?" Michelle asked coming around the corner. She was carrying a bouquet of flowers. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," Hermione lied.

Michelle held out the bouquet. "These just arrived for you from Dr. Conaghan."

"Oh..." Hermione took them. "Thank you."

"He's so romantic and thoughtful," Michelle gushed.

Hermione forced a smile. "He certainly is. I'll just go put these in water."

"Oh," Michelle said leaning in conspiratorially. "What did you make of Mr. Potter? Very handsome, I think."

"I really didn't pay much attention," Hermione said.

"I did," Michelle said winking at her. "I think I'm going to like having him around."

"I've got to get these in water," Hermione turned away, blinking back tears.

"Oh, okay," Michelle said. "I'll see you later."

Hermione rushed back to her classroom before the tears could fall down her face. She needed to collect herself, and fast. She couldn't let seeing Harry again do this to her.

Her hands were shaking as she reached into the bouquet and pulled out the card. "I'm sorry, my love," the card read. "I hope these can somehow make up for what happened. Love, Damien."

She bit her lower lip. This time flowers, last time new clothing, next time probably chocolates. There was always a public way for him to apologise for what happened behind closed doors.

Everyone thought he was so perfect and for a long time, Hermione bought into it as well.

She crumpled the card in her hand and considered throwing the flowers away as well, but she filled a vase and arranged them, setting the pretty blossoms on her desk.

Despite her best efforts, she couldn't get Harry out of her head. What was he doing here after all this time? Hermione wiped at her eyes. She was supposed to show him around the city this afternoon.

"Wonderful," she muttered. Alone time with Harry was NOT on her list of priorities.

Thankfully, her students were filing back into the classroom. She'd have to think of some way out of this.

In Dr. McGraw's office, Harry was barely listening to a word the headmistress was saying.

"We welcome anyone who can help with our orphans," Dr. McGraw said. "When the Conaghans arrived, it was a blessing."

"How---how long have they been here?" Harry asked.

"Seven years," Dr. McGraw smiled. "I remember when little Isabella was born."

"What's he like?" Harry asked. "This Dr. Conaghan?"

"He's a wonderful man," Dr. McGraw said. "He's intelligent, the children adore him, and he's an amazing father and husband."

"That's just great," Harry muttered under his breath.

"I beg your pardon?" Dr. McGraw asked.

"I said that was great," Harry said forcing a smile. He hadn't expected Hermione to be married, let alone to someone who seemingly could do no wrong.

Dr. McGraw smiled. "Well Mrs. Conaghan has agreed to show you around this afternoon after school is out, so for now I'll show you the office we've fixed up for you."

"Thank you," Harry said.

"It's not much, but we don't really have room to spare," Dr. McGraw explained.

"I'm sure it's fine," Harry told her.

"Here we are," she opened a door.

Harry looked at the room which was about the size of his closet back home. There was one small desk, papers, a desk lamp and a couple of pencils.

"It's nice," he nodded. "Thank you."

"You're quite welcome," Dr. McGraw replied. "Like I said, it's not much. But, you'll be right next door to Mrs. Conaghan's classroom."

Harry hadn't realised where they were. "Great," he nodded.

"I can't tell you how happy I am that you're here," Dr. McGraw said.

"I'm glad I can be of help," Harry said sincerely.

"I'll leave you to look over some more of the paperwork," Dr. McGraw told him. "Mrs. Conaghan will meet with you after her classes."

"Thank you again," Harry shook the older woman's hand. "I appreciate the tour."

Harry waited until he was alone before he reached for his mobile phone. He dialled Neville's number.

"Hallo?" Neville's voice came over the line.

"Neville," Harry said tersely.

"Harry!" Neville said. "I... didn't expect to hear from you so soon!"

"Oh really?" Harry asked sarcastically. "You didn't think you'd hear from me after I met Mrs. Conaghan?

"I didn't think you'd go if I told you," Neville tried to explain.

"You knew all this time," Harry said angrily. "You knew where she was. You knew how long I've been looking for her and yet, you didn't say anything."

"She told me not to," Neville replied. "It came close to a wizard's oath, Harry."

"What are you playing at?" Harry asked him. "Sending me here..."

"I always told you I was sure she was okay," Neville told him. "I never lied. But I just... I thought it was time."

"If you'd spoken up sooner, I might have been able to stop her from marrying that bloke," Harry said in frustration.

"I'm sorry," Neville said quietly.

"Have you met him?" Harry asked.

"No," Neville said. "I haven't even seen her since the night she left Hogwarts. Just hear from her every so often."

"She has a daughter," Harry said. "I met her."

"Bella," Neville said.

"She looks just like Hermione," Harry said softly.

"Does she?" Neville asked. "I've never seen her either."

"Yeah," Harry said quietly. "Merlin, Neville. I don't know if I can do this."

"Yes you can," Neville said. "She was your best friend for seven years. You know her better than anyone."

"She hates me," Harry said.

"I know you can get through to her," Neville said.

"I don't know," Harry said. "I--I have to go."

"Keep in touch with me," Neville told him.

Harry hung up the phone and put his head in his hands. This wasn't going to be easy. Chances were Hermione would try and find some way out of it.

He sighed and pulled out the boxes he'd had sent ahead, unpacking his things.

Neville had said that he knew Hermione better than anyone. That had been the case 10 years ago, but he knew nothing of her now.

Trying to set his mind to something else, he started reading through the files of the students. He didn't need any other surprises.

Some of the stories were truly heartbreaking and Harry's heart went out to these children.

He remembered all too well what it felt like growing up neglected.

Out of the last year, only two of the school's children had made it out of the orphanage and were placed into permanent homes. There had to be some way to change that. But, in the meantime, Harry wanted to make sure that these children were given every opportunity to succeed.

He hadn't realised how much time had passed while he read the files and was surprised when he heard a knock on his door.

He turned to see Hermione watching him.

"Hey," Harry said quietly.

"Hi," she said. "I'm supposed to give you a tour of Johannesburg."

"Couldn't get someone else to do it, eh?" Harry asked.

She glared at him. "I offered to do it, so I'm doing it."

"Fine," Harry said closing his files.

She silently waited for him in the hall, then led him back outside.

"Where's Bella?" Harry asked conversationally.

"Home," Hermione answered.

"With the good doctor?" Harry asked, trying unsuccessfully to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.

"What does it matter?" Hermione snapped.

"You're right," Harry retorted. "It's none of my business."

"Good," she said, walking ahead of him.

"I spoke with Neville," Harry told her after a long silence.

"So did I," Hermione answered evenly.

"Give him a piece of your mind?" Harry asked.

"You could say that," she said.

Despite himself, Harry smiled. He remembered all too well what it was like to be on the receiving end of Hermione's bad side.

"He wasn't very happy when we hung up," Hermione revealed.

"He obviously thought that we needed to see each other again," Harry commented.

"I can't imagine why," Hermione said. "We have nothing to say to one another."

"That's not true and you know it," Harry said quickening his step to catch up with her.

"Yes it is," she said coolly.

"So, over the last ten years, you haven't thought about me?" Harry asked her.

"Of course not," she lied.

"You've never been a good liar," Harry said looking at her.

Hermione didn't answer. "Let's get going." she said brusquely.

"You're the guide," Harry said. "Lead the way."

Hermione led him over to a couple of beat up mopeds. "These aren't fancy but they'll get us around town."

"You're just lucky I didn't bring my broom," Harry joked.

She didn't laugh- she didn't even crack a smile.

"You'll never believe who's also a teacher," Harry said trying to go another route.

"I don't really care," she said.

Harry sighed. "O-kay."

"Let's go," Hermione said. The sooner they got this done, the sooner she could distance herself from Harry again.

Harry started his moped and he followed Hermione. "Where are we going exactly?" he asked her.

"Just around," she called back.

"The weather's fantastic here," Harry shouted to her. "If you like the sun..."

"It only rains a few inches a year," she called matter of factly.

"So you like it here?" Harry asked.

"It's fine!" she shouted. "You need to concentrate on driving!"

This was going to be a long day, Harry thought as he followed her down the street.

For the next hour, she led him around their part of Johannesburg, pointing out a few places of interest.

She brushed off his every attempt to ask about her life or to give her details about people she used to know.

Hermione was glad she'd managed to dodge his questions as they arrived back at the orphanage and school.

"Thank you for the tour," Harry said quietly.

Hermione gave a quick nod. "I've got to get home."

"Hermione?" Harry asked despite how cold she'd been, he wasn't ready to let her go. "I wanted to take you to dinner."

"No thank you," she said.

"Please?" Harry asked, giving her his most charming smile.

"I don't think that's wise," Hermione replied, looking away.

"Surely your husband couldn't object to you catching up with an old friend?" Harry asked.

"I'll have to ask," Hermione relented.

Harry grinned. "Fantastic. When I checked in at the hotel, the woman at the front desk couldn't stop raving about the hotel restaurant."

"Not tonight," Hermione said quickly. "Damian wants me home as soon as possible."

"Oh," Harry said. "Well, how about breakfast tomorrow before school? You can even bring Bella."

"Only if Damian says it's okay," Hermione replied.

Harry raised an eyebrow. Since when did Hermione dictate someone else telling her what to do or who to see?

"I have to go," Hermione realised she'd said too much.

"Hermione?" Harry asked.

"I'll... find out about dinner and see you tomorrow," she said quickly, walking away.

"Goodbye," Harry said quietly.

Hermione hurried over to her car and got in, heading directly home. She was later than she'd planned and hoped her husband wouldn't be angry.

Bella was playing in the sitting room and she ran to her mother. "Mummy!"

"Hi baby," Hermione scooped her up.

Bella hugged her. "Tilly's making chicken for dinner."

"That sounds delicious," Hermione gave her daughter a kiss on the cheek. Bella was the brightest spot in her life and there was nothing she wouldn't do for her daughter.

"Hermione?" Damian called.

"I'll be right in," she replied.

Hermione set Bella back down. "Why don't you go and get ready for dinner, baby?"

"Okay," Bella said, running to her room.

Hermione took a deep breath before she walked into her husband's home office. He was sitting behind the desk, looking every bit the handsome and charming man he portrayed himself to be. His brown hair was styled to within an inch of its life. He looked up from his paperwork. "Did you get my flowers?"

"I did," she nodded. "They were beautiful."

"I'm sorry about last night," he said standing up from his chair. "You just---you make me so angry sometimes."

"I don't mean to," Hermione said quietly.

Damian put his arms around her. "I love you, Hermione."

"I love you too," Hermione rested against him.

"You do?" Damian asked.

"Of course I do," she forced a smile and looked up at him.

"Bella told me you had a visitor at the school," Damian said.

"It's the new counsellor," Hermione said. "And donor."

"Bella said he was an old friend of yours," Damian said.

"Not really," Hermione lied.

"Then who is he?" Damian asked.

"Just someone I used to know," Hermione said. "It's no big deal."

"Good," Damian said looking down at his wife. "Because you know I'd hate to find out it was more than that, Hermione."

"It's not," Hermione said. "Really."

Damian leaned in and kissed her. "That's what I like to hear."

Hermione closed her eyes and resisted the urge to pull away.

"I have some bad news," Damian said. "I've been called to Madagascar to consult on a case. I leave tomorrow morning."

"Oh no," Hermione feigned disappointment. "For how long?"

"A week," Damian replied. "I'll be back next Thursday if all goes well."

"I hope so," Hermione said. "I really should go get cleaned up for dinner."

"I thought we agreed you should wear your hair up," Damian said. "You look a little windblown, sweetheart."

"Sorry," Hermione tugged at her long strands. "We were on the mopeds."

"I just like it better up," Damian said grinning at her. "Shows off that lovely neck of yours."

"Of course," Hermione said. "I'll put it up for dinner."

"That's my girl," Damian said.

"I'll be down in a moment," Hermione replied.

Hermione walked out of his office and upstairs to her room. She took off the long-sleeved shirt she'd worn and winced when she saw the bruises on her arm. If she was still practising magic, she could have healed them within seconds. But, she didn't even have a wand anymore.

She sighed, running her fingers over the reddish purple circles on her skin. Stepping over to the closet, she chose a long sleeved dress to put on. Damian liked them to get dressed up for dinner.

Hermione was happy that she'd not have to worry about her husband and his temper for a week.

She quickly worked to put her hair up the way he liked it and dabbed on a bit of makeup.

"Great," she said looking in the mirror. At least she looked presentable, Hermione thought. All she wanted to do was curl up in bed and read. She just hoped Damian wouldn't be in the mood for anything more tonight.

"Mummy!" Bella was at the door. "I'm hungry!"

Hermione turned around and smiled at her daughter. "I thought your name was Isabella? All this time, you're telling me your name is 'Hungry'?"

Bella giggled. "Isabella's hungry!"

Hermione took her hand. "Guess what? It's just going to be you and me the next few days while Daddy's out of town."

"Why?" Bella asked.

"He has to check on a patient in another city," Hermione explained. "So, you and me get to watch movies and do all the stuff that we love to do together."

"YAY!" Bella shouted happily.

"Tomorrow morning I was thinking you and I can go out for breakfast before school," Hermione said.

"For donuts?" Bella asked hopefully.

"Maybe," Hermione said tickling her daughter's side.

"I like jelly filled," Bella giggled.

"And chocolate crème," Hermione said. "You remind me of---"

Damian cleared his throat. "Dinner's waiting," he said, his displeasure obvious.

Hermione jumped. "Damian. We were just having a laugh."

"I see," he replied.

"Come here, Bella," Damian said opening his arms. Bella shook her head and latched herself to Hermione.

"Bella!" Damian said sharply.

Bella clung tighter to Hermione.

"Isabella!" Damien snapped.

"Leave her alone, Damian," Hermione said. "She doesn't want to go to you. Let's go and eat."

"Be quiet, Hermione." Damian commanded. "Isabella, come here this instant!"

"Mummy?" Bella asked looking up at her mother with a look of pure terror.

"You better go to him, baby." Hermione whispered.

Bella's lower lip trembled as she walked slowly toward her father.

"That's a girl," Damian said, picking her up.

"I want Mummy," Bella sobbed.

"Let me have her, Damian, please." Hermione said. She hated to see her daughter like this and she never knew what sort of mood her husband was in.

Damian set Bella down and the little girl hurried back into her mother's arms. "I don't want to deal with this during dinner."

"She'll be okay," Hermione said, smoothing back her daughter's unruly hair.

"See to it," Damian said stalking out of the room.

"Shhh," Hermione comforted her little girl. "Calm down, baby. He didn't hurt you."

"He's so scary sometimes," Bella said.

"I know," Hermione whispered.

"I'm glad he's going away," Bella said before burying her face in Hermione's shoulder.

"Let's just go eat, sweetheart." Hermione said, rubbing her back.

Damian was sitting at the table when Hermione and Bella walked into the dining room. Bella avoided her father's gaze and moved her chair closer to her mother's.

Damian cleared his throat as he took his napkin. "Tell me more about this new counsellor."

"There's not much to tell," Hermione said as the cook set a plate before her. "Thank you, Tilly."

"You're welcome, Madame," Tilly said quickly.

Damian exhaled. "Surely there's something."

"He liked my picture," Bella said quietly.

"What picture is that?" Damian asked.

"The picture I drew in class," Bella said her voice barely above a whisper.

"What is it of?" Damian asked impatiently.

"It was an elephant with the head of a dragon," Bella replied.

Damian shook his head. "Ridiculous. You need to pay attention to more important things. There are no such things as dragons, Isabella."

Bella looked at Hermione. She loved the stories her mother would tell her about the brave boy who fought a dragon.

"There's nothing wrong with having an imagination," Hermione said to Damian.

"Nonsense," Damian scoffed. "This only proves my point that she's not getting the education she deserves. I was looking at boarding schools the other day..."

"We can't send her away to a boarding school, Damian," Hermione shook her head.

"Not now," Damian said. "But in the next couple of years, we are. Come on, Hermione. We both are the products of boarding school educations. We both turned out fine."

"Yes but--" Hermione began.

Damian glared at her. "I'll not have my daughter going to school with orphans."

"They're my friends, Daddy," Bella said softly.

Damian banged his fist on the table, making both his wife and daughter jump.

"End of discussion," Damian said pushing back from his chair. "And now you've ruined dinner, Hermione. I'm going to the hospital."

"Damian, please." Hermione said. "Don't be like this."

Damian ignored her and stalked out of the dining room. A moment later, the front door slammed.

"I'm sorry, Mummy," Bella said in a small voice.

"Come here love," Hermione said. "It's not your fault. I thought your picture was beautiful."

Bella sat in her mother's lap. "Thanks, Mummy."

"I love you so much," Hermione kissed the top of her head.

"I love you too," Bella said softly. "I don't want to leave my school, Mummy. I love it there."

"I know, baby." Hermione said. "I'll talk to Daddy."

Bella looked up at her mother. "Really?"

"I promise," Hermione said.

Bella smiled. "You never break a promise, Mummy."

"Not to you," Hermione touched her forehead to her daughter's.

The two of them finished their dinner and then Hermione helped her daughter with her homework.

"So we'll have breakfast tomorrow with the new counsellor," Hermione said. "Our little secret, okay?"

Bella grinned. "Our secret."

"Into bed with you then," Hermione tucked her in.

"Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?" Bella asked. "And tell me more about Buckbeak?"

"Sure," Hermione said, launching into a story that her daughter would most likely never realise was true.