Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Thanks so much for your continued support in this story- we're glad you guys are enjoying it. If you're still following Last Dance, please let us know what you're thinking of that one. Lots of hits but very few reviews. We know there's interest, but how much? Please take a few seconds to review after you're done reading- we really appreciate it. Since JKR makes all the $$ for Harry Potter and his world, we have reviews that we go on. :D

Pass You By - Boyz II Men

She was like nothing I'd ever known
Her eyes shine like diamonds in a field of snow
The man that destiny led her to meet
Made her feel that life was now complete

Now some days have passed and nights gone by
You can see the glow slowly fading from her eyes
Though she denies her pain and her dismay
Oh I said this to her anyway

Don't have to stay with someone that makes you cry (makes you cry)
You'll end up killing all the love you have inside (have inside)
Can't hope to see the sun if you don't open your eyes
Girl don't let real love pass you by

Ooh oh no
Ooh don't let real love pass you by

Nothing made sense. Hermione was not someone who let another person dictate what she did or whom she saw. But, it seemed like she had to run everything past her husband before she did it.

Harry decided when he got some free time that afternoon that he was going to ring Neville and see if he'd found anything.

His morning went by fairly quickly. He met with Dr. McGraw and helped out in the library. He set up some appointments with some builders to discuss expanding the school and he helped Mrs. Morando show the students in Billy's class how to use the new computers.

"This really is wonderful," Mrs. Morando was saying as the children took turns on the computers. "We've never had anything on this sort of level before. I don't know how to thank you."

Harry smiled. "Seeing the looks on their faces is thanks enough."

"It's just a shame that Bella isn't here," Mrs. Morando commented. "She would have loved this."

"Is she absent a lot?" Harry asked curiously.

Mrs. Morando nodded. "Sometimes several times a week. Usually on the same days Mrs. Conaghan isn't here as well."

Harry considered this. "Mrs. Conaghan is absent frequently as well?"

Mrs. Morando nodded.

Harry wanted to ask more but Billy called him over to ask a question. Harry tried to answer, but he was preoccupied with thoughts of Hermione. He could not recall Hermione ever missing classes when they were in Hogwarts, unless she'd been in the hospital wing.

"Are you okay Mr. Potter?" Billy asked.

"Hmm?" Harry asked. "Oh, um, yes. Billy, I'm fine."

"I'm sure Bella will be okay," Billy reassured him.

"Me too," Harry said. "You did really well today, Billy."

"Thanks," Billy smiled at him.

"But, you do realise they're for things other than games," Harry said with a grin.

"Yeah I know, I know." Billy said.

Harry mussed the boy's hair. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Billy grinned at him before leaving with the rest of the class.

Harry reached into his pocket for his mobile. He dialled Neville's number. He didn't even give his friend a chance to say hello. "Mate, tell me you found something on Conaghan."

"Hey," Neville said. "Yeah I found out a few things."

"Such as?" Harry prompted.

"He attended Eton and Oxford," Neville replied looking over his notes. "He graduated with honours. By all accounts was a great student and loved by all who know him."

"Really?" Harry asked in dismay.

"He moved to France shortly after marrying Hermione," Neville continued. "He began his residency at Saint-Antoine University Hospital where he quickly rose up the ranks."

"I see," Harry answered unenthusiastically.

"There was something else," Neville said. "Four years ago, he spent the night in a French jail, but with the privacy laws, I'm having trouble finding out why."

"Really?" Harry asked, interested. "Just one night?"

"One night," Neville said. "I don't know what the charges were, but apparently they were dropped the next morning and he was set free."

"Hmm..." Harry nodded.

"It might be something as mundane as unpaid parking tickets, Harry," Neville warned.

"I know but it could be something worse," Harry said. He told Neville about Hermione and Bella being absent that day.

"That doesn't sound like Hermione," Neville agreed. "Remember sixth year when she came down with the wizarding flu and could barely keep her head up, but she didn't miss a single class?"

"Exactly," Harry replied.

"I'm going to see if Fleur can use some of her contacts to find out what happened with his arrest," Neville told him. "I'll keep you posted."

"Thanks mate," Harry said. "I appreciate it."

"No problem," Neville told him. "Let me know if you need anything else."

"I will," Harry promised. "How's Susan?"

"Hormonal," Neville replied with a laugh.

"Wouldn't want to be in your place," Harry smiled. "Later, mate."

After hanging up with Neville, he tried Hermione once more. Yet again, Tilly told him that Hermione was still sleeping. He knew that he should just leave well enough alone, but he could not let this go without meeting Damian Conaghan for himself. He asked Michelle how to get to the hospital and a few minutes later, he found himself in the lobby.

"Hi," he said approaching the main desk. "I'd like to see Dr. Damian Conaghan please."

"Is he expecting you?" the receptionist asked him.

"No," Harry said. "But I'm a colleague of his wife's."

"Oh," the woman replied. "Well, Dr. Conaghan's office is on the third floor."

"Thank you," Harry replied.

He took the lift up to the third floor and walked down the corridor. The door to Damian's office was open, but there was no one inside.

"Hello?" Harry called out cautiously.

He stepped inside and looked around. There was a big, ornate desk with a state-of-the-art computer. A plush sofa was pushed against the wall and there were three large bookshelves stocked with medical journals and textbooks.

He moved closer to the desk and saw a picture of Hermione sitting near the edge. He noticed with surprise that there wasn't a single photo of Bella anywhere.

He heard voices in the hall and the sound of female laughter.

He quickly sat down in one of the chairs, acting as if he'd just arrived.

"Let me just check my messages," a tall, athletic looking bloke was saying as he stepped into the office. He stopped in his tracks when he saw someone was waiting for him. "I wasn't aware I had an appointment..."

"I didn't make one," Harry stood up. "I'm sorry to barge in, but I wanted to come meet you. I'm Harry Potter- I'm helping out at the orphanage."

Damian studied him for a moment. "Dr. Damian Conaghan," he finally said. "And this is my colleague, Dr. Valerie Lefevre."

"Nice to meet you both," Harry said politely.

"Valerie, could you give me a few minutes?" Damian asked. "I'll meet you downstairs."

"Sure thing," she sent him a secretive sort of smile before leaving the room.

"So," Damian said walking over to his desk. "What brings you by, Henry?"

"Harry," he corrected. "I just wanted to meet you. Hermione speaks highly of you."

Damian looked over at him. "Funny, she hasn't mentioned you at all."

"I only just arrived," Harry explained, liking the man less and less.

"And I have been out of town," Damian said smoothly. "But, that's changed now. I couldn't stay away from my wife and my daughter."

"Understandable," Harry nodded. "So I hear you do work at the orphanage as well?"

Damian shrugged. "When I can."

"I'm sure they appreciate it," Harry said, trying to put his finger on what he disliked so much about this man.

"I'm sure they do," Damian said taking a seat behind his desk.

"Hermione and Bella weren't in school today," Harry said sitting down, too.

"They were sick," Damian replied shortly.

"They seemed pretty healthy to me," Harry said. "When I saw them yesterday."

Damian glared at him for a moment. "It was a bug."

"Maybe I'll stop by and see for myself," Harry countered.

"I don't like anyone bothering my wife and daughter while they're sick," Damian said evenly.

"Why's that?" Harry asked.

"They need to get the proper amount of rest," Damian glared at him.

"For just a bug?" Harry asked.

"I think I know a proper treatment, being a doctor and all," Damian said coldly. "IF you don't mind, I have some real appointments to keep."

"I wouldn't want to keep you," Harry said standing up and extending his hand.

Damian eyed it for a moment then gave it a quick, dismissive shake.

"You have an amazing little girl," Harry told him.

"I know," he replied.

"Do you?" Harry asked, before he could stop himself.

"I know my own family," Damian snapped at him. "Goodbye, Mr. Potter."

"Nice to meet you," Harry said coldly.

Damian ushered him out the door then shut it in his face.

"Arse," Harry muttered.

He saw now why Hermione had to get her husband's approval for everything. The guy was a bonafide wanker.

He just hoped he hadn't made things worse for his best friend and her daughter. That was the last thing he wanted to do.

He went back to the orphanage, not quite wanting to head to his hotel room just yet.

Harry walked by Hermione's classroom and was surprised to hear voices coming from inside. He opened the door and saw Tilly with Bella.

"Harry," Bella said rushing into his arms.

"Bella!" he said, picking the little girl up. "Are you feeling better?"

Bella shook her head and buried her face in his shoulder.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked concerned.

Tilly stepped forward. "We're here to pick up some work for Mrs. Conaghan."

"Mummy's still not good," Bella said quietly.

Harry patted her back in a comforting manner. "I'm sure she'll be okay, sweetheart."

Bella only shook her head and buried her face in his shoulder. She knew she had just met Harry, but he was safe.

"You're trembling," Harry said softly.

"She's okay, monsieur," Tilly said quickly, taking the little girl from him.

"No," Harry said. "She's not."

"I'll take care of her," Tilly insisted.

"Bella," Harry said looking at the little girl. "You can tell me anything. You know that, right? I want to help you and your mummy."

"We're okay," Bella whispered.

"We should be going," Tilly said. "I don't want to leave Mrs. Conaghan for very long."

"Does she really have the flu?" Harry asked directly.

"Bella, grab those books for me," Tilly told the little girl.

"Okay," Bella scurried over to the desk.

"You're making this worse, monsieur," Tilly told Harry in a quiet voice. "Please. Just leave this alone."

"I can't," Harry said. "No way."

"Come along, Bella," Tilly said.

"Bye Harry," Bella glanced at him with large, sad eyes. She was so different from the little girl he'd gone swimming with yesterday.

"Bella, tell your mum that I'm here if she needs me," Harry called after her. "I'm here for you both..."

"Okay," Bella said, hurrying out of the room.

Harry could tell the little girl wanted to tell him something. What was holding her back? What was really wrong with Hermione? And why did that maid think that he was making things worse?

"Bella!" he called after her.

Bella turned around.

"I just want you to know..." Harry stopped. "I'll help you any way I can, okay?"

"Let's go Mademoiselle Bella," Tilly said, giving Harry a look.

Bella nodded and then turned and walked away with Tilly.

Harry watched them go, determined more than ever to find out what was going on once those doors were closed.

At the house, Hermione was just waking up from her kip. Every bone in her body ached and she could only imagine what her face must look like. With much effort, she climbed out of bed and walked into the bathroom.

She winced at her reflection, noticing that her eye was already turning purplish blue. Hopefully the bruise would fade fast this time.

The bedroom door opened and Hermione turned expecting to see Tilly and Bella. Hermione had sent the maid to pick up some work for her at the school and she'd asked her to take Bella along to get the little girl out of the house. But, it wasn't Bella or Tilly that greeted her. It was Damian.

"How are you feeling, love?" Damian asked as if nothing had happened that morning.

Hermione didn't say anything, only turned back to the mirror.

"I can help you," Damian said coming up behind her. "I'll fix you up straightaway."

"Just leave me be, Damian," Hermione said.

"Don't be like this," Damian said softly. "I hate what I did to you, but you asked for it, Hermione."

"How?" Hermione asked.

"Your friend, Harry," Damian said in a tone that implied the answer should have been obvious. "Stephanie Drake saw you with him at the pool. Told her husband and God knows who else that she saw you hanging all over him. I'm your husband, Hermione. You needed to be reminded of that."

"I know you're my husband," Hermione replied shortly, wetting a towel with icy cold water and pressing it to her eye. "And we were just swimming. That's all."

"He came by the hospital," Damian told her.

"He did?" Hermione asked in surprise. "Why?"

"I was hoping you could tell me," Damian said.

"How would I know?" Hermione asked, turning back to the counter and looking for some salve to put on her split lip.

Damian folded his arms and watched her. "I thought you'd sent him. He's a little too curious for his own good, Hermione."

"I had nothing to do with it," Hermione said curtly. "I've been here in bed all day."

Damian came up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders. "I love you, Hermione. I'll do anything to keep you."

Hermione bent her head. "I'm not going anywhere, Damian."

"That's what I like to hear," Damian said putting his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. "It's so much better when we understand each other."

Hermione wanted to tell him how much she loathed him, how much she wanted to just pick up and leave before she did something worse, but bit her tongue for her daughter's sake. She would do anything to spare Bella from Damian's wrath.

"Madame," Tilly called out from the other side of the door. "I have your assignments."

"Come in," Damian called before Hermione could answer.

The door opened and Bella clung to Tilly when she saw her father was home.

"Sweetheart!" Damian exclaimed holding out his arms. "Come here and give your old Dad a hug."

"I don't want to," Bella said in a small voice.

Damian chuckled. "Sweetheart, your mummy and I just had a fight is all. Everything's fine."

"Its okay baby," Hermione said, the words nearly choking in her throat.

Damian frowned. "Fine. I'll see you both at dinner. I'll be in my office."

Bella ran to her mother the moment Damian left. "I don't want to hug him," she whispered.

"You don't have to, sweetheart," Hermione said holding her tightly. "I'm just---I'm just so glad that you're home."

Tilly excused herself to make dinner leaving mother and daughter alone.

"I saw Harry, Mummy," Bella confessed.

"You did?" Hermione asked. "What... what did he say?"

"He said that---he said that he would help us," Bella said softly looking up at her mother.

Hermione bit her lower lip.

Bella looked down. "I didn't tell him, Mummy. I didn't tell him what Daddy did."

"We can't tell anyone baby," Hermione said quietly. "Not ever."

Bella looked up at her mother. "Why does Daddy do that?"

"I don't know," Hermione said. "I just don't know..."

"He never plays with me," Bella said thoughtfully. "He never helps me with my homework or lets me play around him."

Hermione nodded without saying anything.

"I wish he'd go away," Bella said wiping at her eyes. "Go away and never come back!"

Hermione knelt down and pulled her daughter to her. "I won't ever let him do this to you baby. I promise."

"I don't want him to do that to you," Bella said quietly. "Ever again."

Hermione kissed the side of Bella's head. "Let's go have something to eat okay?"

Bella nodded. She just hoped her father would not join them.

Hermione fixed her face up as best she could before heading downstairs with Bella.

Unfortunately, Damian was waiting for them. He was drinking a beer and reading that day's newspaper.

"My girls," Damian said grinning at them.

"I'm glad you're joining us," Hermione lied.

"Where else would I be?" Damian asked folding his paper and setting it aside. He studied his wife's face. "Four or five days and I'm sure you'll be fine. Nothing makeup can't cover."

Hermione didn't smile. "Right," she said, taking her seat at his left.

"I called Dr. McGraw earlier," Damian said as Tilly came in with their drinks.

"Why would you do that?" Hermione asked.

"I wanted to find out more about this Harry Potter," Damian replied. "Seems like he's just throwing his money around..."

"He's helping out children in need," Hermione said. "That's not throwing money around."

"Maybe it's time I made a sizable donation," Damian said thoughtfully. "Donate some old computers..."

"We have computers," Bella said in a small voice.

"What?" Damian asked, turning to glare at his daughter. "Speak up, Isabella."

Bella gulped. "We have computers now," she said, her voice not much higher. "And new books."

"I see," Damian said tersely.

"Any contribution you wanted to make to the school would be appreciated, Damian," Hermione told him.

"Hmm," he grunted.

"How were things in Madagascar?" Hermione asked, changing the subject.

"Fine," he said. "Although I didn't exactly get to stay long."

"Maybe you could go back," Bella muttered.

"What was that?" Damian asked sharply.

"She said she was glad that you were back," Hermione said hastily. "We both are."

Damian continued to glare at his daughter for a long moment then took a long pull off his beer.

"I'm sure that the hospital in Madagascar was happy to have your assistance," Hermione said as Tilly brought out the beef stew.

"Of course they were," Damian answered.

Hermione bit back her retort. She had heard all about some doctors having God complexes, but she'd never really seen it for herself until she'd met her husband. She could not believe that at one time, she'd found his confidence one of his more attractive qualities.

"Thank you Tilly," she said as the maid served her then moved onto Bella.

Bella didn't see Tilly behind her and she accidentally elbowed the maid, causing the bowl of stew to fall to the floor.

"DAMN IT, ISABELLA!" Damian yelled.

Bella began to cry. "I'm sorry!" she wailed.

"It was an accident," Hermione told her.

Damian made a move toward his daughter, but Bella looked up at him. She thought about how she wanted to hurt him like he'd hurt her mother. The glass bottle in her father's hand suddenly broke into pieces. Bella gasped. Had she just done that? How had she done that?

"FUCK!" Damian shouted as the glass cut into his hand.

Hermione grabbed her napkin and walked over to her husband. "Let me see...."

Damian snatched the napkin away from her. "How would you know what to do?" he snapped at her.

Hermione glared at him. Little did he know, she had more than enough experience healing cuts and bruises on Harry and Ron, not to mention herself.

"Go get this cleaned up," he barked at the maid.

Tilly nodded and hurried into the kitchen.

Bella still cowered in her seat, shocked by what she'd done.

"Go to your room," Damian said to Bella.

Bella nodded and hurried out of the dining room.

"She didn't do anything," Hermione told him. "Damian--"

"I'm going to the hospital," Damian said glaring at his wife. "I'm going to have someone check this out."

"I'll help you," Hermione said.

"Stay the hell away from me," Damian barked before stalking out of the kitchen.

Hermione sank back onto her chair and sighed.

"I'm sorry Madame," Tilly apologised, coming back in with a towel.

"It was just an accident," Hermione told her.

Tilly nodded. "Monsieur left for the hospital."

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "Tilly, I'm going to check on Bella."

"Of course, Madame," Tilly said.

Bella was in her bedroom, curled up on her bed, cradling her stuffed dragon.

"Baby?" Hermione asked from the doorway. "It's me, Mummy."

"Did Daddy hit you again?" she asked in a tiny voice.

Hermione shook her head. "No, baby. He's gone to the hospital to have someone look at his hand."

"I didn't mean to bump into Tilly," Bella said, sniffling.

Hermione sat down on her daughter's bed and ran her hand through Bella's hair. "It was an accident."

Bella nodded.

"Just an accident," Hermione said softly.

Bella turned and hugged her mother tightly.

"What happened with the bottle?" Hermione asked.

"I thought Daddy squeezed it too hard, but..." Bella hesitated. "I wanted it to break and then it did."

Hermione looked at her daughter. "You didn't do anything wrong, sweetheart."

"What does it mean?" Bella asked.

Hermione debated telling her daughter what this all could mean. One isolated incident did not mean that Bella was magical, but it was a pretty powerful indicator.

She decided to wait and speak to Harry about it before she did anything else.

"I don't know," Hermione said, which was the truth. "Don't you think on it now, Bella."

Bella didn't look convinced. "I'm still hungry," she said quietly.

"Me too," Hermione said. "Tell you what, how about you and I eat in here and then we'll play a game. You keep telling me that you want to beat me at Candy Land, right?"

Bella managed a tiny smile.

"Just because I've never won a game doesn't mean I'm not due," Hermione teased.

"Okay," Bella said.

"I'll be right back," Hermione promised kissing her daughter on the cheek.

"I'm going to wash my face," Bella set her dragon aside.

"Good idea," Hermione said. She headed downstairs and asked Tilly to prepare a tray and bring it upstairs. As she passed her desk, she remembered stuffing the card with Harry's number in her desk.

She detoured in and pulled it out from her hiding spot. She didn't want Damian to find certain things so she'd found a way to make a false drawer in her desk.

She hesitated just a moment before picking up the phone and dialling the number.

"Hallo?" Harry's voice immediately came over the line.

"Harry?" Hermione asked uncertainly. She was already second guessing her decision to make this call.

"Hermione!" Harry said.

"Hi," Hermione said quietly. "I, um, Bella said she'd seen you earlier."

"Yeah," Harry said. "She was terrified of something, Hermione. She couldn't stop trembling."

"I know," Hermione said. "She's fine now. We both are."

"Hermione..." Harry began.

"You went to see Damian?" Hermione asked. "Why did you do that, Harry?"

Harry sighed. "I had to meet him, Hermione."

"Why?" Hermione asked. "Harry, I'm---I don't know what I am..."

"I want to help you," Harry said. "You're not happy, Hermione."

Hermione swallowed the lump in her throat. "I can't---"

"I just want you to be happy," Harry said softly.

"You don't need to get messed up in this," Hermione warned.

"I already am," Harry told her. "You weren't just sick today, were you?"

"No," Hermione admitted. "I-I can't let you see me like this."

"See you like what?" Harry asked.

Hermione didn't answer.

"Is he there now?" Harry asked.

"No," Hermione said quietly.

"I'm coming over then," Harry said. "Now."

"No," Hermione said quickly. "Bella's going to bed and I'm tired too. Don't come."

"When?" Harry pressed.

"I don't know," Hermione said. "But now isn't a good time."

"Will you be at school tomorrow?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," she said again.

"You once told me that you trusted me more than anyone else," Harry said. "I know that was a long time ago, but..."

"Things are different now," Hermione said. "I told you that."

"Some things haven't changed," Harry said intently. "I would do anything to protect you."

Hermione blinked back tears. "I have to go. But I'm okay. Don't worry about me."

Harry sighed. "How about telling me not to breathe?"

"Just don't," Hermione said. "I'm married to Damian and that's not going to change. Dredging this up now is only going to hurt everyone."

"Why did you call me?" Harry asked her. "If you really wanted me out of this, why call me?"

"I don't know," Hermione said. "I just... wanted to tell you that I'm okay."

"I'm here," he said softly. "And I'm not going anywhere."

"See you later," Hermione said quickly before hanging up.

Hermione collected herself before sticking the card back in its secret place. She hurried upstairs to eat with her daughter.

In the hotel room, Harry was still staring at his phone, wondering what in the world was going on. It was taking every ounce of willpower he had not to go over to the Conaghan residence right now.

He was still tempted to- or even to go to the hospital again to see if Damian was there and ask him what the hell his problem was.

It was just gone eight in the evening in Johannesburg. Harry knew that it was an hour earlier in London. He had to take the chance that Hermione's parents would talk to him.

He dialled the number he hadn't forgotten in ten years and hoped one of them would answer.

"Hello?" Dr. Elinore Granger answered on the fourth ring.

"Dr. Granger?" Harry asked. "This is Harry Potter."

"Harry Potter?" Elinore asked after a moment.

"I used to be friends with your daughter," Harry said.

"I know who you are," Elinore replied.

"I'm in Johannesburg," Harry said. "I've been helping at the orphanage Hermione teaches at."

"You found her," Elinore said quietly.

"I think she's in trouble," Harry said.

"I haven't seen or heard from my daughter in almost nine years," Elinore said her voice breaking. "I don't even know my only grandchild."

"What?" Harry asked in shock.

"Damian shut us out of her life," Elinore said, sniffling.

Harry was speechless. "But..."

Harry did not expect Elinore Granger would tell him as much as she did in the next half hour. She told him about how she and Robert had set their daughter up with the dashing young medical student. She told him about how they'd fallen for Damian's charms just like their daughter had.

"He's not what he seems, Harry." Elinore said.

"I'm beginning to see that," Harry commented.

"We knew she was in South Africa," Elinore said. "But, he doesn't allow her to take our calls and he tracks their mail. All of our letters have been returned. After awhile, we just stopped. My heart couldn't take it."

"I'm so sorry," Harry said quietly.

"No," Elinore said. "I'm the one who should be sorry. You were never anything but kind to our little girl and we just couldn't understand."

"There was a lot of misunderstanding," Harry said. "And I'm going to do what I can to help her and Bella. You'd be proud of her, Dr. Granger. Bella's a wonderful child."

"I want nothing more than to see them for myself and know that they're safe," Elinore said. "I feel responsible for the way things turned out."

"You shouldn't," Harry said. "No one knew."

"He has a bit of a temper," Elinore cautioned him. "He always has. It's gotten him into trouble before, but he's always managed to charm his way out of it."

"I met him today," Harry said. "I can see where that comes from."

"Be careful, Harry," Elinore warned.

"I will," Harry said. "Thanks, Dr. Granger."

"Tell my daughter I love her," Elinore said quietly. "Her father and I both love her and Bella very much."

"I'll tell her next time I talk to her," Harry replied, his heart heavy.

"Thank you, Harry," Elinore said before ending the call.

Harry stuck his phone into the drawer and lay on his bed, wondering just what the hell was going on. Hermione not having contact with her parents?

Damian Conaghan had brought her here and cut her off from her family, her friends, and her magical way of life.

Harry was more determined than ever now to find out what was going on with his best friend.

The next morning, he was disappointed, but not surprised to see that Hermione wasn't at school. But, he did see Bella walking upstairs with Billy. Billy was talking her ear off, but Bella looked a million miles away.

"Hi sweetheart," Harry said to her.

"Morning, Mr. Potter," Billy said warmly. "I was just telling Bells about the doughnuts you brought to me yesterday."

"How many are left?" Harry asked with a smile.

"They were gone by lunch," Billy admitted. "They were so good!"

Harry shook his head and turned to Bella. "How's your mum feeling?"

Bella did not answer him.

"Bella?" Harry knelt down in front of her.

Bella's lower lip trembled. This morning, she had not wanted to leave her mother's side. But, Hermione had insisted. To make matters worse, it was her father who had seen her to school that morning. Bella had been so nervous, she had not said a word.

"Come with me a moment," Harry took her hand.

"I have my lessons," Bella protested.

"I'll write you a note if you're late," Harry said.

Reluctantly, Bella followed Harry into his office.

"You can tell me if something's wrong," Harry said. "Something with your father?"

"I broke the bottle," Bella said in a voice barely above a whisper.

"Broke what?" Harry asked.

"The bottle," Bella said looking up at Harry with tears in her eyes. "Daddy was really, really mad because I made Tilly drop the stew. He yelled at me---and I just---I wanted---"

"You broke a bottle?" Harry asked.

"Daddy was holding it and I wanted to make him hurt like he hurt Mummy," Bella said in a small voice. "I just thought really, really hard and it broke in his hand."

Harry stared at her in shock.

Bella started to sob as she recalled all too vividly what had happened.

"What do you mean hurt him like he hurt your mummy?" Harry asked gently.

Bella could no longer hold herself back and spilled out to Harry why Hermione had been gone the previous day.

"It was really, really bad," Bella said wiping at her eyes.

Harry was astounded. "Bella, sweetheart... does he do that to you, too?"

Bella shook her head. "No, just Mummy."

Harry ran his hands through his hair. "How... how often does he... do that?"

Bella shrugged. "Sometimes, I don't see it. Mummy tries to hide it."

Harry nodded. "Okay. I'm glad you told me, Bella."

"He's scary," Bella said, starting to cry again.

Harry reached for the little girl and gave her a hug.

Bella sobbed into his shoulder.

Harry patted her back. "It's going to be okay," he told her.

"How?" Bella asked him.

"I'm not sure yet," he said.

"I'm not supposed to tell," Bella said frantically.

"Don't worry about it," Harry told her. "You did the right thing."

Bella nodded and gave him another hug. She wanted to believe him.

"Come on, I'll take you to your class," Harry said, handing her a tissue

"Okay," Bella said using the tissue to wipe away her tears.

"That's a girl," Harry said.

Harry was still trying to process this information, while keeping his own emotions in check.

Bella was still sniffling a bit as he led her towards Mrs. Morando's classroom.

"Everything's going to be fine," Harry tried to reassure her.

Bella only shrugged. "I hope so," she whispered. "I don't want anything to happen to my mummy."

"Nothing is going to happen to your mummy," Harry promised her. "You can count on that."

Bella nodded. "Okay."

Harry gave her a hug before he sent her inside the classroom. He had to see Hermione.

He told Dr. McGraw he had to run a few errands and set out for the Conaghan household.

He did not care of Damian Conaghan himself opened the door when he got there. Harry was going to see Hermione and get to the bottom of this.

He knocked on the door and wasn't surprised to see Tilly answer it. "I need to see Hermione."

"Mrs. Conaghan is resting," Tilly replied, but Harry pushed past the maid and into the house.

"Monsieur!" Tilly protested. "You can't go up there!"

"She needs my help," Harry glared at her. "And if you're a loyal employee, you'll let me do it."

Tilly stood back. "Top of the stairs. Second door on the right."

"Thank you," Harry said.

Harry took the steps two at a time. He knocked on the bedroom door.

"I'm not hungry, Tilly," Hermione called out.

"It's not Tilly," Harry replied.

"Harry?"

"Yeah," he said.

"Please go," Hermione called back.

"No," Harry said. "Bella told me everything."

Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes. She couldn't let him see her like this. Before she could answer him, the bedroom door slowly opened.

"No," Hermione raced for her bathroom. "Harry get out of here."

"Hermione," Harry reached the bathroom just as she shut the door. "Please. I know what he did; what he's done."

"Just go away!" Hermione said. "I told you last night not to involve yourself!"

"I'm in this," Harry said, leaning against the door. "Please let me in."

"No!" she snapped.

"Fine," Harry said stubbornly. "I have all day."

Hermione hated Harry in that moment almost as much as she hated Damian for doing this to her. "So do I."

"Good," Harry said folding his arms.

Hermione sat against the door and closed her eyes.

"Nice weather we're having," Harry commented, knowing how she disliked idle chit chat. "Very nice indeed."

Hermione didn't respond. Instead she walked over to the large bathtub in the corner and ran some hot water into it.

"I could bring Ginny over here and she can talk to you all about the latest fashions," Harry tried again.

Hermione smiled to herself. She could barely hear him over the running water.

Harry pulled his wand out of his pocket and pointed it at the door. "Alohomora!" The door clicked open and he smiled. "A clever witch taught me that first year."

"You bastard!" Hermione cried out.

The triumphant smile on Harry's face fell as he took in the sight of his best friend.

"Get out!" Hermione shouted angrily. "GET OUT!"

Harry shook his head. "Hermione..."

"How dare you just walk in here!" Hermione whipped around so he couldn't see her face.

Harry walked up behind her and put his hand on her shoulder. "Did he do this to you?"

"I told you not to worry about me," Hermione shrugged him off.

"Hermione," Harry pleaded. "Did he do this to you?"

"Get out of here," Hermione repeated.

"How much longer before he raises his hand to Bella?" Harry asked her.

"I don't want to talk about this with you," Hermione shut the water off then strode out of the loo.

"How about I discuss it with that bastard you're married to?" Harry countered. "I'd be all too happy to have him on the end of this wand."

Hermione climbed back into her bed. "Tilly!"

Harry could barely look at Hermione. In his entire life, he'd only killed one other person. The need he'd had to kill Voldemort paled in comparison to the way he felt about Damian Conaghan at that moment.

"Tilly!" Hermione shouted again.

"Madame?" Tilly asked coming into the room.

"Please escort Mr. Potter to the front door," Hermione said. "I need to rest."

"I'm not going anywhere," Harry said firmly.

"You need to leave, Monsieur," Tilly said to him. "We must respect Madame's wishes."

"Madame wants me here," Harry said looking right into Hermione's eyes. "She just doesn't want to admit it."

"No I don't," Hermione answered.

"Fine," Harry said. "I'll go."

Hermione turned the other way, relieved.

Harry stepped forward and pulled back the covers. He reached down and picked up Hermione. "I'm taking you with me."