Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors note: Over the last few chapters, we've heard from some of you that you do not like the pacing. We're sorry if you feel that way, but this is how the story is planned out. We can't have them just fall back into each others' arms after all that happened between them.

Also, a lot of you have the concern of why Hermione hasn't gone back to the Wizarding World. For one thing, she's too proud. She turned her back on that world and doesn't want to fall back on it now. She doesn't feel worthy of it due to what she's been through in the last ten years.

Harry coming back into her life after all this time has thrown her completely for a loop. The old feelings are still there, but she doesn't feel as if she can act on them because of pride, her situation, and also the fact that she is not alone like she was all those years ago. She has another life to consider---Bella. There isn't anything she wouldn't do to protect her daughter.

We apologise for the length of this but we need you guys to understand where we are coming from if you want this story to continue the way we have written it. We thank you for reading and of course, for your feedback.

Wonderwall - Oasis

Today is gonna be the day
That they're gonna throw it back to you
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you gotta do
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do about you now

Backbeat the word was on the street
That the fire in your heart is out
I'm sure you've heard it all before
But you never really had a doubt
I don't believe that anybody feels
The way I do about you now

And all the roads we have to walk along are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
I don't know how

Because maybe
You're gonna be the one who saves me ?
And after all
You're my wonderwall

He realised if he kept up this train of thought he was going to be late in picking up Michelle.

He took the photo and placed it inside the drawer.

"I'm done," he said quietly.

If he had done anything, at least he'd given her and Bella peace and quiet for at least a little while. Damian Conaghan was far away and they were safe.

Hermione was enjoying the reprieve with her daughter. They had gone back to the pool- just the two of them this time- and then picked up some pizza to eat at home.

"Mummy?" Bella asked as she finished off her second slice of pizza.

"What is it baby?" Hermione asked.

"What's a date?" Bella asked.

Hermione was startled. "What?"

"When I was waiting for you, Michelle was putting on makeup and she said she was excited because she had a hot date," Bella said.

Hermione shook her head. "Honestly..."

Bella looked curiously at her mother. "What is it, Mummy?"

"When you get older, you'll want to go on dates, but I hope you won't act silly about it," Hermione said. "If a person doesn't respect you for your mind, then they're not worth it."

"Michelle was acting really silly," Bella said laughing.

"You're smarter than that," Hermione said.

"Just like you," Bella said smiling at her mother.

"That's right love," Hermione smoothed her daughter's hair back.

"Did you and Daddy go on a lot of dates?" Bella asked.

"A long time ago, yes." Hermione nodded.

"Did you go on a date with Harry?" Bella asked.

Hermione nearly choked on her drink. "No!"

Bella giggled. "Why not?"

"Because," Hermione answered hastily.

"I hate when you answer me with that," Bella said.

"You'll understand things like that when you get older," Hermione told her.

Bella looked at her mother and stuck out her bottom lip. She hated when grown-ups said stuff like that, too.

Hermione had to laugh. "That look doesn't work on me, baby."

"Mummy!" Bella protested.

"It never has and it never will," Hermione told her. "Go on and get ready for your bath."

"Okay," Bella said. "But you're reading me a story tonight, Mummy."

"Deal," Hermione told her.

Bella kissed her mother on the cheek. "Thanks for today, Mummy."

"I love you so much, sweetheart," Hermione hugged her daughter.

"I love you too," Bella said. "Can we have pizza for breakfast tomorrow, too?"

Hermione laughed. "We'll see."

Tilly came in and helped Hermione clear the table. "Are you okay, Madame?"

"Fine Tilly, thank you." Hermione said.

"Have you heard from Dr. Conaghan today?" Tilly asked.

"No I haven't," Hermione said. "I expect he'll ring soon though."

Tilly nodded. "After I throw this away, I'll be leaving for the night. Unless, you need something else..."

"I think we'll be fine, Tilly. Merci." Hermione smiled at the maid.

Tilly smiled at her employer before she walked back into the kitchen, leaving Hermione alone with her thoughts.

Try as she might, she couldn't stop her thoughts from wandering to Harry and if he was really on a date with Michelle.

She was not jealous, Hermione said. If anything, this just confirmed how wrong Harry was for her. If he wanted to spend his time with tarts like Michelle, that was his problem. She could care less.

She pushed back her chair then headed upstairs to run Bella's bath.

"Michelle probably doesn't even know the difference between a fork and a spoon," Hermione muttered.

He didn't really know the area either, so Michelle had probably gotten him to take her somewhere ridiculously expensive.

Hermione really hoped that Harry wouldn't sleep with Michelle.

She shook her head, forcing such thoughts away. "Ready for your bath, love?" she called out to Bella.

"Yes," Bella said setting her book aside.

"What were you reading?" Hermione asked.

"Charlotte's Web again," Bella said.

"You know, one of these days we may have to try and find you a talking spider for a pet," Hermione teased.

Bella giggled. "Or a pet pig."

"Or both?" Hermione joked, helping her unbutton her dress.

"Daddy said no pets, remember?" Bella asked.

"Well, maybe someday," Hermione said wistfully.

"Like Crookshanks?" Bella asked.

"Just like Crookshanks," Hermione said sadly.

"Or a puppy," Bella said thoughtfully.

"A puppy would be nice," Hermione unplaited Bella's hair. "Okay... into the tub with you."

Bella yawned. The busy day was suddenly catching up to her. She nodded and followed her mother into the bathroom.

Hermione ran some water into the tub and made sure it was the right temperature. "I'll be back in fifteen minutes, okay?"

"Okay, Mummy," Bella said.

Hermione left the door open a crack, then went to her own bedroom to get herself ready for bed.

The phone rang and Hermione answered. "Hello?"

"Hermione," her husband's commanding voice came over the line.

"Hello, Damian," Hermione said, keeping her tone neutral. "How are you?"

"Fine," he said. "What are you doing?"

"Getting ready for bed," Hermione told him. "It's really quite late."

"How's Isabella?" Damian asked.

"She's good," Hermione said. "She was playing football today and really enjoyed it."

"That's nice," Damian said distractedly. "And you---you're staying away from that Potter, right?"

"I've hardly spoken to him all day," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Damian, you have nothing to worry about."

"That's my girl," Damian said. "Listen, I've been thinking..."

"About what?" Hermione asked.

"I think you and I should have another child," Damian told her.

Hermione was silent.

"You know how much I want a son," Damian said.

"But I can't guarantee I'd have a boy," Hermione tried to argue.

"We'll just keep trying," Damian interjected.

"So say I got pregnant again..." Hermione began. "And had another girl?"

"She would be loved just like little Isabella," Damian said. "And we'd keep trying. Damian Conaghan, Junior. It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

Hermione shuddered. "Of course," she lied.

Damian chuckled. "Well, I have to get back to work. I'll see you in a couple of weeks, my love."

"Of course," Hermione closed her eyes and willed herself not to gag.

She hung up the phone and stared off in space. He couldn't be serious, could he? He had never changed a single diaper of Bella's, never treated her as anything more than a nuisance when they were at home. In the public's eyes, he was the doting father, but at home, he could care less.

"He never wanted her," Hermione said to herself. "Not ever."

Hermione could still remember the moment the doctor had placed Bella in her arms for the first time. She had never loved anything in the world more than she'd loved her daughter.

Bella was the single most important being in her life, and she'd die to protect her from Damian's wrath.

The next morning, Hermione left Bella on the playground with Billy. She wanted to have a quick word with Dr. McGraw about Harry's recommendations for expanding the classrooms. She tried not to notice that Michelle wasn't at her desk when she walked inside. That didn't mean anything, Hermione told herself. Perhaps, she was delivering files or having a quick breakfast. It certainly didn't mean, she and Harry were cuddling in post-coital bliss.

"Hermione," Dr. McGraw said coming up behind her.

"Good morning," Hermione turned around and forced a pleasant smile onto her face.

"Good morning," Dr. McGraw said smiling back at her.

"I was looking for you," Hermione began. "I wanted to talk to you about Harry's plans for expansion--"

"There's no need," Dr. McGraw said walking toward the staircase.

"What?" Hermione faltered.

"Mr. Potter has decided it would be best if he worked with the other teachers from now on," Dr. McGraw told her.

"He said WHAT?" Hermione asked, a bit too loudly.

"He thought it would be best if he worked with the other teachers," Dr. McGraw said raising an eyebrow at Hermione's reaction. "I thought he would have mentioned this to you..."

"He didn't," Hermione replied.

"Oh," Dr. McGraw said. "Well, I suppose you can discuss it with him. He's in his office now. I just left him..."

Hermione turned her back on Dr. McGraw and flew to Harry's office. She barged in without knocking. "How dare you!"

"Good morning to you, too," Harry said dryly.

Hermione slammed the door shut. "How dare you tell Dr. McGraw you can't work with me anymore?"

Harry leaned back in his chair. "Oh, well with the way you've been acting around me lately, I figured you didn't want me within two inches of you. I thought I was doing you a favour."

"Oh please," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Just because you can't act professional--"

"I'm being completely professional!" Harry retorted. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"Oh, going to see your little tart, are you?" Hermione snapped.

Harry glared at her. "Oh, now who's being professional?"

"You are completely irresponsible," Hermione shot back. "Mixing work and pleasure all the time!"

Harry pushed back from his chair and stood up. "What's this really about?" he asked her.

"You aren't willing to work with me at all!" Hermione said angrily. "It's like you're just... you're just..."

Harry stepped closer to her. "I'm what, Hermione?"

Hermione felt her body tremble at his nearness. "I don't know..." she felt tears come to her eyes.

"You're the one who pushed me away!" Harry reminded her. "Did you think you could do that and I'd just keep coming back for more?"

"You left ME!" she shouted at him.

Harry groaned in frustration. She was driving him stark-raving mad. He didn't know what else to do so he surprised himself and her by grabbed her around the waist and pulling her to him.

"Harry what are you--" her words were cut off as he boldly pressed his lips to hers.

Her first instinct was to fight him off, but her resolve weakened as he deepened the kiss.

His hands moved across her back in a soft and gentle manner. Damian had never touched her or kissed her like this.

Hermione kissed him back, running her hands through his messy hair. How many times had she imagined what this would be like? It paled in comparison to the real thing.

Harry moved her over to the sofa and they fell down on it, their mouths never breaking apart.

Hermione's eager hands untucked his shirt. He pulled away for just a moment to look at her and so they could catch their breath.

"Don't stop," Hermione whispered looking up at him. "Please..."

Harry shook his head and kissed her again.

Hermione wrapped her arms around him. This was reckless, she knew, but she was powerless to stop it. It felt too good to stop. She shivered when Harry's hand slid under her shirt.

"Okay?" he whispered, his lips grazing her ear.

"Yes," Hermione whispered.

Harry lost himself in kissing Hermione. He'd waited for this moment for over half his life.

"You're so beautiful," he whispered against her skin.

"I am?" she asked.

Harry smiled down at her and cupped her cheek. "You are even when you're mad at me..."

"That's pretty often," Hermione had to smile back.

Harry laughed and kissed her again. "You never could stay mad at me for too long."

"Wanker," she said breathlessly.

He couldn't believe she was actually here and she wasn't pushing him away. He loved her so much and last night on his date with Michelle, he hadn't been able to stop thinking about Hermione. This time, it was Hermione who put her arms around him and pulled his face to hers.

"I told you not to stop," she murmured between kisses.

"Yes, ma'am," Harry grinned using his free hand to unbutton her shirt.

He gently ran his hand over her chest, his touch soft.

She knew why he was being gentle and it made her love him even more.

"How did you get to be so perfect?" she asked, pushing his hair out of his face.

"I'm far from perfect," Harry said smiling down at her.

"To me, you are." Hermione told him. "Right now."

Harry kissed her. "I love you."

Tears filled her eyes and before she knew it, Hermione found herself sobbing almost hysterically.

"Hermione?" Harry asked. "Hey---what is it?"

"It's just... it's been a long time," Hermione admitted, wiping her eyes. "Since anyone aside from Bella has said that to me and meant it."

Harry sat up and held out his arms. Hermione allowed him to hold her and she held tightly onto him.

"Oh, sweetheart," Harry said kissing the top of her head. "I do love you. I love you so much..."

"Why did you have to leave me behind?" she whispered. "Things could have been so different..."

"I'm so sorry," Harry said softly. "I just wanted to know that you were safe. If anything had happened to you..."

Hermione shook her head. "It wasn't right."

"I know I hurt you," Harry said looking at her. "I would give anything in the world to change that. I just---I didn't think I was going to come back. I thought I was going to die."

"Harry," she began but he shook his head.

"I love you," he whispered leaning in and softly kissing her. "That's all that matters."

"Is it enough now?" she asked. "Harry you have no idea what I've done..."

"It doesn't matter to me," Harry reassured her. "I love you and if you love me..."

"It's not just that," Hermione told him. "Damian... he won't let me go. Not ever."

"He's not going to have a choice," Harry said resting his forehead on hers.

"It's me who doesn't have the choice," Hermione pulled away from him.

"What does that mean?" Harry asked. "You don't love him. You couldn't love him after what he's done..."

"You're right, I don't." Hermione told him. "But... there are other things Harry. Complicated things."

Harry reached for her again. "Tell me..."

Hermione shook her head as tears pricked at her eyes. "I can't."

"You can tell me anything," Harry said. "We've always been able to tell each other anything."

"I can't." Hermione said. "Not this."

"When you're ready to tell me, I'll listen," Harry said squeezing her hand.

"Thanks," Hermione said. "I need... I have to go freshen up before my kids come in."

Harry nodded and leaned in to kiss her one last time. "So, you still want to work together?" he asked.

"Oh... yes..." she said dazedly.

Harry smiled. "I'll see you later, Hermione Jane."

Hermione nodded, stumbling as she left his office. She put her fingers to her lips. They were still swollen from all that kissing.

Kissing... that thought made her smile.

"Harry," she whispered to herself.

She headed quickly into the loo and splashed some cold water onto her face.

Hermione looked at her reflection in the mirror and realised she was still smiling.

"Get a grip," she told herself again, but still couldn't resist a grin.

Harry was also grinning when he entered Mrs. Morando's classroom. Class was about to begin and he knew he didn't have much time. He asked the teacher if he could have a quick word with Billy.

"Of course," Mrs. Morando nodded. "Billy? Mr. Potter would like to talk to you."

Billy followed Harry outside into the hall.

"I was wondering if you had plans for this weekend?" Harry asked the boy.

"Why?" Billy asked.

"You remember me telling you about that mate of mine?" Harry asked him. "The pilot?"

Billy nodded.

"Well, he's going to be here Saturday morning," Harry said with a grin. "And he wanted to know if I knew anyone who would like to go up for a flight..."

Billy gaped at him. "Are you serious?"

Harry chuckled. "Absolutely."

"I'd love to go," Billy said, gazing at him in admiration.

"That's good because I cleared it with McGraw," Harry said. "You'll need to get up early though..."

"That's okay," Billy said quickly.

Harry grinned. "Well, I will pick you up at your dorm at seven Saturday."

"Thanks sir," Billy said eagerly.

"You're quite welcome," Harry said. "It'll be fun."

"I can't wait," Billy said happily.

"Me too," Harry said grinning at him. "And you'll have a great story to tell Bella when you get back."

"Can I take some pictures?" Billy asked.

"Sure," Harry replied.

"Awesome!" Billy shouted enthusiastically.

Harry handed him a piece of paper. His friend had emailed over a photograph of his plane. "This is what you'll be riding in..."

"Wow," Billy said in awe. "You really like me enough to take me on THIS?"

"I really do," Harry said smiling at him. "You're a good kid, Billy."

"I like you too," Billy said. "No one's ever been this nice to me."

Harry saw so much of himself in this boy. He supposed that was why he felt the need to do things for him to make him feel special. His heart went out to this little boy who had gone through so much in such a short time.

"You'd better get into class," Harry said. "Keep that picture."

"I will," Billy promised. "Thanks, Mr. Potter!"

"Call me Harry," Harry said.

"Thanks, Harry," Billy said.

"I'll see you around," Harry told him.

Billy was still in a bit of shock when he walked back into the classroom.

"What did he want?" Bella whispered.

Billy handed her the paper. "He's taking me flying on Saturday."

"Wow," Bella said in awe.

"Pretty cool, isn't it?" Billy asked.

"I wonder why he wants to take you flying," Bella said thoughtfully.

Billy took the paper back from her. "He knows that I want to be an astronaut."

Bella grinned at him. "I think he really likes you."

"You think so?" Billy asked her hopefully.

Bella nodded. "Really, really likes you."

Billy grinned. He couldn't wait until Saturday.

"Bells? Do you want to help me look for a book on planes in the library?"

"Sure," Bella nodded.

"Thanks," Billy said. "I don't want to look like I don't know anything about them."

"Good idea," Bella nodded.

"This will be the coolest thing I've ever done," Billy said.

Bella nodded in agreement.

Billy and Bella's conversation was cut short when Mrs. Morando began class.

Bella was happy for her friend, but she couldn't help feeling a little wistful. She wished that Harry would come over to her house again and have dinner.

She really liked Harry and wished that her mother didn't dislike him quite so much.

"He told me to tell you hello," Billy whispered to her.

Bella's face lit up. "Really?" she whispered back.

Billy nodded. "Maybe we'll see him at recess."

"I hope so," Bella replied before pulling out her workbook.

Billy looked at the paper one more time before putting it away and pulling out his workbook.

He couldn't believe he was actually going on a real plane, with a real pilot.

At recess, Bella told Billy she'd meet him on the playground. She wanted to see her mother and tell her about Bill getting to fly.

"I'll see you out there, Bells," Billy told her, eagerly escaping the classroom.

Bella waved at him before hurrying down the hall.

"Mummy," Bella said as she hurried into her mother's office. "Guess what--"

Hermione grinned at her daughter. "What, baby?"

"Harry's taking Billy on a real plane this weekend!" Bella said eagerly.

"He is?" Hermione asked. "Wow..."

"It's so cool," Bella said.

"It is," Hermione agreed as Bella climbed on her lap.

"You're all glowy, Mummy," Bella observed.

"Glowy?" Hermione repeated.

Bella nodded. "You're happy."

"Of course I'm happy," Hermione kissed her head. "You're here."

"Billy and me wanted to play with Harry," Bella said. "Will you come and play, too?"

"I don't know, sweetheart," Hermione hedged. "I have some papers to grade..."

"Come on," Bella pleaded. "It will be so much fun!"

"I'll come watch for a bit," Hermione replied.

"You're going to play," Bella said firmly. "It's really easy."

"I don't think so, baby." Hermione told her daughter. "I'm a teacher here, and I have to maintain a sense of... decorum... with the students."

"It's just me, Billy and Harry," Bella said.

"I'll come watch," Hermione repeated.

Bella took her mother's hand. "I just hope he's down there."

Me too, Hermione silently added. She had no idea what she was going to say to Harry after what had happened that morning.

Billy was sitting on the front steps waiting for them.

"Hey," Billy said. "Did Bella tell you, Mrs. Conaghan?"

"She did," Hermione nodded. "You're very lucky, Billy."

"I can't wait," Billy said.

"What's this?" Harry asked. "A meeting I wasn't invited to?"

Bella turned around and grinned up at him. "Hiya, Harry!"

"Hey Bells," Harry smiled at her. "Hello, Hermione."

Hermione blushed. "Mr. Potter."

"I told Billy we'd kick around a football for a little while," Harry said.

"Can I play too?" Bella asked eagerly.

"Sure," Harry told her.

Billy grabbed Bella by the hand and they headed toward the playground. Harry looked around to make sure he and Hermione were alone and he reached for her hand. "Hi."

"Hi," she said softly. "Um..."

"Did this morning really happen?" he asked her.

"Yeah," she nodded.

Harry grinned at her. "It was amazing."

"It was," Hermione said quietly.

"You don't regret it, do you?" Harry asked.

Hermione shook her head. "Not at all. I just don't quite know what to make of it."

"All you need to know is I love you," Harry said leaning in to kiss her. "That's all..."

"Not here," Hermione said. "Not in public, Harry. Too many people know Damian."

"Right," Harry replied reluctantly pulling away.

"I have to be careful," she told him.

"I understand," Harry said. "But ...later?"

"We'll see," Hermione said.

"Please?" Harry asked.

"I'll try," Hermione said. "But I have Bella to look after."

Harry nodded. He just hoped she wasn't trying to push him away again.

"I just don't know if this all comes too late," Hermione told him.

"Too late?" Harry asked. "Hermione...it's never too late."

"You just don't know," Hermione said.

"I would if you'd tell me," Harry said. "I could help you. If you're worried about Damian, don't be. I can handle him."

Hermione shook her head. "He's worse than you think."

Harry wanted to ask her what she meant, but Bella and Billy came around the corner. "Come on!" Bella exclaimed.

"We're coming," Harry said.

"I think it's really nice what you're doing for Billy," Hermione said to him as they walked toward the playground.

"He's a good kid," Harry replied.

"And you're a good man," Hermione said.

"I try," he said.

"You'll make a great dad someday," Hermione told him.

"Perhaps," Harry shrugged.

"All the kids love you here," Hermione pointed out.

"They're a good bunch," Harry said. "I've enjoyed being here."

Hermione wanted so much to take his hand and rest her head on his shoulder. "You go on and play. I'll watch."

"You're just going to watch?" he asked.

"You do remember that I'm not much for sport, right?" Hermione asked him. "Not to mention that I need to---what? Harry, let go of my arm!"

"Just try it," Harry told her.

"Maybe just for a minute," Hermione relented, causing Bella and Billy to cheer.

Harry grinned, clearly pleased to have gotten his way.

"I'm going to warn you both that I'm rubbish," Hermione told the children.

"So was Bella," Billy teased.

"And now she's quite the little footballer," Harry said grinning at the little girl. Bella beamed back at him.

"I can't play long," Hermione said. "I've got papers to grade."

"It's fun, Mummy!" Bella exclaimed. She took her mother's hand and told her where she should stand.

"I hope you don't expect me to catch that," Hermione eyed the dirty ball.

"You're supposed to kick it," Bella said. "Not catch it, Mummy."

"Oh," Hermione replied sheepishly. "Where do I kick it?"

"You try to get it past Harry," Bella told her. "But you can't use your hands. You got to use your feet or your head."

"My head?" Hermione grimaced.

"Quit being a girl, Granger," Harry called out.

Hermione wished he'd stop calling her by her maiden name- much as she despised her married one. She gave the ball a little kick and Harry caught it easily.

"Weak," Harry teased.

Hermione shrugged. "Told you I'm no good at sport."

"You just need to read a book about it," Harry joked.

Hermione rolled her eyes at him.

Bella took the ball and kicked it to Billy.

"Good shot Bells," Billy said.

Bella grinned. "Thanks, Billy!"

The kids began to kick the ball between the two of them and Hermione looked at Harry. "I really have to get some work done."

Harry nodded. "Okay."

"See you later," Hermione said. "Unless...you're going to see Michelle..."

"I don't have any plans," Harry said.

"Oh..." Hermione said. "Well... I guess I'll talk to you later then."

"You will," Harry winked at her.

Hermione turned red and hurried inside. "What am I doing?" she asked herself.

She knew she shouldn't be encouraging him. There couldn't be any future for them.