Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Thanks again to all you who reviewed! We really appreciate the fact that you guys are taking the time to tell us what you think. We're still hoping a few of you will go over to Last Dance and give some love there- we really want to know if the interest is still there!

Also- remember where Hermione is coming from in this story. She's spent the past 9 years with Damian who has beaten her down time and again- and sometimes when you hear something enough, you start to believe it.

Torn- Natalie Imbruglia

I thought I saw a man brought to life
He was warm, he came around like he was dignified
He showed me what it was to cry
Well you couldnt be that man I adored
You dont seem to know, dont seem to care what your heart is for
But I dont know him anymore
Theres nothing where he used to lie
My conversation has run dry
Thats whats going on, nothings fine Im torn

Im all out of faith, this is how I feel
Im cold and I am shamed lying naked on the floor
Illusion never changed into something real
Im wide awake and I can see the perfect sky is torn
Youre a little late, Im already torn

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" she screamed.

"Monsieur!" Tilly protested.

Hermione beat at him with her fists.

"Good afternoon, Tilly," Harry said making a move for the door.

"This is kidnapping!" Hermione exclaimed. "Not to mention totally barbaric!"

"And what he's doing to you isn't?" Harry returned.

"Harry James Potter," Hermione ordered. "You put me down right now!"

"No," Harry said.

"Put me down NOW or I'll press charges against YOU!" she shouted.

"Chance I'm going to have to take," Harry said carrying her down the stairs.

"NO!" she screamed. "DAMMIT HARRY!"

"Would you stay still?" Harry hissed at her. "I'm going to Apparate us back to my hotel, but you'll splinch yourself with the way you're carrying on."

"I don't care," she hissed. "You have no idea what you're doing, what you COULD do to Bella!"

"I'm doing this for you and Bella," Harry said. "I'll pick her up myself when school's finished for the day."

"NO!" she said, finally pushing at him hard enough to free herself. "Just leave me alone, Harry Potter! You can't do anything here so just GO AWAY!"

"Would you quit being so bloody stubborn and let me help you?" Harry asked angrily.

"I don't want your help, Harry." Hermione glared at him. "Just leave me and my family alone."

"You're crazy if you think I'm leaving you alone with that maniac," Harry told her.

"Go. Away." Hermione repeated, her teeth clenched.

"No," Harry replied. "You can go back upstairs if you want. I'll stay down here and help Tilly."

"I don't need any help, Monsieur," Tilly had followed them down. "If Madame wants you to leave, then you should go."

"I'll call the police," Hermione warned. "You're trespassing."

Harry just stared at her. "Why won't you let me help you?"

"It happened once," Hermione lied. "He was upset and stressed out. He's promised it will not happen again. I believe him. See? Nothing to worry about."

Harry shook his head.

"Your daughter was scared to death," Harry told her. "She was shaking, Hermione. She didn't want to tell me. Is that how you want her to grow up?"

"Don't you dare tell me how to raise my daughter," Hermione snapped at him.

Harry put his head in his hands. "I'm not telling you how to raise her, Hermione. I only want to help."

"You can't," she said shortly. "So just leave. We're done, Harry."

Harry stepped forward. "I'll go, but if he lays one finger on you or Bella again, I swear I'm going to kill him."

"Stay out of my life, Harry." Hermione told him.

"I'm serious, Hermione," Harry said levelling his gaze at her. "You might be afraid of him, but I'm sure the hell not."

"Just leave," Hermione said. "We won't be talking to each other at the orphanage anymore, Harry. We aren't friends. You need to let me live my life."

Harry gave her one last look before he reluctantly opened the front door.

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief once Harry had gone.

"Madame," Tilly said. "He wants to help you."

"No one can help me, Tilly. Not with Damian. He's got me backed into a corner." Hermione told her.

"You could run away with the child," Tilly suggested. "I'm sure Monsieur Potter would help..."

"He'd find us, Tilly." Hermione said. "And he'd take Bella away from me."

"Oh, Madame," Tilly said sadly. "I'm truly sorry."

Hermione sighed. "I'm going back to bed."

Harry was still outside of Hermione's house, pacing on the porch. He was so angry, with Damian and with Hermione. He could get her out of this so easily, but she refused his help.

He had half a mind to go back in there and insist she listen to him, but he knew better. Hermione was the most stubborn person he knew.

Damian had to have something on Hermione. That was the only explanation for this. She did not love that man; not after all the horrible things he had done.

He headed back towards the orphanage on foot, hoping he would remember his way. It was hard to believe he'd been here only a week.

The simple fact remained that he was still in love with Hermione and there was nothing he would not do for her. He had meant what he had told her. It was taking all the willpower he had not to go to the hospital and strangle the breath out of that bastard for what he had done.

He had thought about pulling Bella back into his office that day but thought better of it. No doubt she'd go home and tell Hermione about it.

An idea came to him and he knew it was risky, but there was no way he was going to allow Damian the chance to be alone with Hermione and Bella. He was calling in a huge favour, but it was a chance he was willing to take. With a sigh, he picked up his mobile and entered the number for directory assistance. After a few moments, he found himself asking for Dr. Cho Chang, a resident at Johns Hopkins Hospital in the States.

"Chang," Cho's business-like voice greeted him.

"Cho," Harry said pulling out every ounce of charm he had. "It's Harry. Harry Potter."

"Harry?" Cho asked in surprise.

"Yeah," Harry said leaning back in his chair. "How are you?"

"Fine," Cho said. "Why... what... why are you calling?"

"Can't a bloke just call and chat with one of his oldest friends?" Harry asked, knowing while he said it that she would not buy that excuse for a second.

"Not when it's you," she said bluntly.

"Okay," Harry confessed. "I do need a favour."

"I knew as much," Cho said smugly. "What's on your mind?"

"Have you heard of Dr. Damian Conaghan?" Harry asked her. He did not have to see her to know she was probably rolling her eyes. "Look, he's a doctor at a hospital here in Johannesburg. I need to get him out of town as soon as possible."

"What do you need me for?" Cho asked.

"Well," Harry said. "You are a resident at one of the top hospitals in the world, aren't you? This bloke thrives on having his ego stroked. If you were to call him and say that you needed him to consult on a case, he'd be out of here so fast..."

"Well first I'd like to know why you need this bloke out of town?" Cho asked.

Harry knew there was no love lost between Cho and Hermione, but he knew that Cho was a compassionate person. At least, he hoped she was. "This can't be repeated, Cho. I mean it."

"You have my word," Cho promised.

So, Harry told her everything that he knew so far. "She refused to leave him, Cho. I can't stand by and take the chance that he'll hurt her or her daughter again."

"So what is getting him out of town going to do if she doesn't want your help?" Cho asked.

"Give her and her daughter peace of mind," Harry said. "And give me time to find out some way out of this mess."

"I'll try," Cho said. "But I can't guarantee anything. I'll have to find a case I might need a consult on before I can do anything."

Harry smiled. "The man's an egomaniac, Cho. You could tell him you need a consult on a broken arm and he'd be there in a second."

"I'll do what I can," Cho said. "But you owe me."

"I know," Harry said. "Thanks, Cho. I mean it."

"Talk to you soon, Potter." Cho said.

"Thanks again," Harry said gratefully.

He hung up with his ex, feeling a bit better. At least having Damian out of the picture would get him away from Hermione and Bella, if it was the least he could do.

He decided to go to the cafeteria to grab some lunch and to check on Bella and Billy.

He saw the little brunette girl sitting in the corner by herself.

He walked over to her table and sat down. "Hey, Bella."

Bella jumped. "Hi..."

"Where's your partner in crime?" Harry asked.

"Who?" Bella asked.

"Billy the Kid," Harry replied.

"He's in trouble," Bella said quietly.

"Trouble?" Harry asked.

"Someone made fun of him about his mummy," Bella said. "So he's in Dr. McGraw's office.

Harry frowned. "What did he do?"

"Called him some mean names." Bella answered.

"I see," Harry said. "I suppose I should go and check on him."

"Dr. McGraw says he has to eat lunch alone in the office," Bella told him.

"Dr. McGraw reminds me of Professor McGonagall," Harry commented.

"Who?" Bella asked.

"She was the Dr. McGraw at my school," Harry told her. "She used to scare the trousers off of my best friend, Ron."

Bella cracked a tiny smile.

"She loved your mum though," Harry said. "McGonagall said she never had favourites, but everyone knew she adored your mum."

"She did?" Bella asked.

Harry nodded. "It helped that your mother was the top of our class."

"Mummy says I'm smart like she used to be," Bella took a drink of her juice.

"Your mum is still smart," Harry laughed. "And you are very smart. That's what everyone here tells me."

Bella didn't say anything else. She just reached for her fork.

"Bella?" Harry asked. "I want you to know that what's happened isn't your fault."

Bella nodded.

"And I'm glad that you trusted me enough to tell me the truth," Harry said reaching for her hand.

"I didn't mean to," Bella said quietly. "Mummy said I should never tell. I just got scared."

"You were right to tell me," Harry told her. "And I'm going to make sure he never hurts you or your mum ever again."

Bella only shrugged. "I'm not hungry anymore," she pushed her tray away.

Harry wished he knew something else he could do to make that little girl feel safe.

"Bye Harry," Bella said, sliding out of her seat.

"Bye, Bella," Harry said watching her go.

Bella hurried back to Mrs. Morando's room, wanting to be alone for a few minutes.

To her surprise, Billy was sitting at his desk, reading. "I thought you were in Dr. McGraw's office?"

Billy shrugged. "I finished lunch and she told me to come up here and read."

"What are you reading?" Bella asked.

"Charlotte's Web," Billy said holding it up for her to see. "The book you gave me."

Bella smiled. "That's my favourite."

"You remind me of Fern," Billy told her.

"Except I don't own a pig," Bella replied.

Billy smiled. "I was going to say that I'm kind of like Wilbur. And Fern saved Wilbur. Kind of like how you're always saving me."

Bella blushed.

He did not tell Bella that he had read the book four times since she'd loaned him her copy. Or that he'd stolen a flashlight from one of the teachers to read in his bed after the lights went out.

"I'll find another one for you tomorrow," Bella promised.

"Thanks," Billy said looking at her. "Are you okay?"

Bella shrugged.

"Come on, Bells," Billy said closing the book. "Tell me."

Bella shook her head. She was sure she'd already caused enough problems for her mother by telling Harry.

"Your mum will feel better soon," Billy said, thinking that was what was bothering her.

"I hope so," Bella whispered, sitting down.

"I can't wait 'til we go to that pool again," Billy said. "That was fun. Mr. Potter's not that bad."

"I don't think we'll get to go for awhile," Bella said.

"Why not?" Billy asked.

"Just don't think we will," Bella hedged.

"Oh," Billy frowned. "Well, that's okay. I mean, we can still play here."

Bella nodded. "Sure."

"I need to teach you how to play football," Billy grinned.

Bella made a face. "I don't like sport."

"Come on," Billy said rolling his eyes. "It's fun."

"I'll stick to reading." Bella said.

"You can watch me then," Billy said grinning at her. "Because I'm brilliant."

Bella had to smile. "Okay."

Bella felt a little better talking to her friend and she tried not to think about later that afternoon when her father would be picking her up to take her home.

Her father, meanwhile, had just finished talking with Dr. Carlos Morales from Johns Hopkins University. Damian had been doing rounds when he'd received a page. His secretary told him that he had a call from the States. It was Damian's dream that he would one day practise medicine in the States at one of the top hospitals.

"We've heard of you and would like your input on a case we're studying here," the doctor had told him.

"What sort of case?" Damian asked, trying to not sound too excited.

"St. Louis Encephalitis," the doctor had replied.

"I wrote an article on that," Damian said.

"That's exactly why we want you here," Dr. Morales explained. "It'd be for three weeks, if you can take that sort of time."

Damian grinned. "Can you hold on a second? I need to check with my secretary."

"Of course," Dr. Morales replied.

Damian placed the call on hold. He did not care if he was booked for the next three weeks. There was no way in the world that he was going to turn this opportunity down.

"Clear my schedule," he said to his secretary. "I'm going to the states for three weeks."

"Yes, sir," his secretary replied. "Should I look into accommodations for you, too?"

"Yes," Damian commanded. "Five star."

His secretary nodded and hurried out of the office. Damian picked up the phone again and announced to Dr. Morales that he would be happy to consult on the case and he'd be in Baltimore by tomorrow afternoon.

Damian was glad. He'd be able to get the hell out of his dirt hole of a hospital and sink his hooks into a real position elsewhere.

He cleared his schedule for the rest of the day and headed home to tell Hermione of his plans and to pack.

Hermione had just awoken from a kip and was icing her lip when her husband suddenly appeared in the doorway.

"Damian, what are you doing home?" Hermione asked.

"I'm going to the States," Damian announced.

"What?" Hermione asked, sitting further up in bed. "Why? When?"

"To help with a case," Damian said. "Right now."

Hermione watched her husband as he grabbed his suitcase from the closet and started packing. He told her about how a doctor from Johns Hopkins had called and asked him for a consult. "That's fantastic," Hermione said. "I know this is what you've always wanted."

"It is," Damian grinned at her then surprised her by spinning her around.

"Damian," Hermione said wincing as he squeezed her.

"What?" he asked. "It's time to celebrate, Hermione."

"I'm still sore," Hermione told him quietly.

Damian sighed. "You just can't be happy for me, can you?"

"I am happy for you," Hermione told him. "And proud. You've worked very hard for this."

"I certainly have," Damian pushed her away.

"How long will you be gone?" Hermione asked.

"Three weeks," he said shortly.

"I'll pack for you," Hermione said taking a jumper out of his hands. "You were always rubbish at it."

Damian grinned. "That's one of the reasons I married you, love. You are the best packer there ever was."

Hermione forced a smile. "You won't look professional with wrinkles."

Damian chuckled and sat down on the edge of the bed while Hermione began taking his clothes off of hangers and expertly folding them into the suitcase. "If things go well, this could be just the beginning, Hermione."

"I hope so," she said softly.

"There are some really great schools in Maryland," Damian said grinning at her. "For you and for Isabella."

Hermione was startled. "You think we'll be moving there?"

"I don't want to get ahead of myself," Damian said. "But, I think that it's a definite possibility. We're floundering here, Hermione."

"We're doing fine, Damian," Hermione said. "And I like my job at the orphanage."

"I'm not going to spend the rest of my career here," Damian told her. "I've done my penance. "

"It was hard enough leaving England." Hermione argued.

"You were the one who wanted to go, remember?" Damian asked her. "You said that you had some bad memories in your past. So, we moved to Paris."

"Yes but--" Hermione began to argue.

"If this pans out, Hermione," Damian said firmly. "We will move. End of story."

"Bella won't want to leave either," Hermione said, zipping his suitcase shut.

"We'll talk about this when the time comes," Damian said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a car waiting to take me to the airport."

Hermione nodded silently.

Damian came over to her and touched her cheek. "It's healing nicely."

"I know," she said.

"I'll ring you when I arrive," Damian promised.

"Fine," she said, trying to contain her excitement. He was leaving, for THREE weeks!

He gave her a kiss. "I love you, Hermione."

"Love you too," she managed.

Damian grabbed his suitcase and headed out of the bedroom.

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. He was gone, for three weeks. Across the ocean. Far, far away from her and from Bella.

She was so thrilled at the possibility that she wanted to share it with someone. Unfortunately, the first person that came to mind was Harry.

She told herself to stay away from Harry from now on. She hated Damian, but she only had to put up with him until Bella was 18. Then she could leave him behind forever.

"Madame?" Tilly asked, breaking into her thoughts. "I should pick Miss Isabella up from school, no?"

"Yes, please Tilly." Hermione said. "Tell her we're going out tonight." she went into the loo to fix herself up.

"You are?" Tilly asked.

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "She and I are going to have a nice dinner out, and you get to have the night off."

Tilly smiled. "Merci, Madame."

"Thank you, Tilly." Hermione said.

Hermione took a long, hot bath and felt better than she had in days. She'd have to use a lot of makeup to conceal her wounds.

"It was so much easier to use magic," she said to herself.

She wished she had brought her wand along with her to Johannesburg. But, that was in the past like so many other things in her life.

She got out of the bathtub when she heard Bella's voice in the hallway.

She put on her dressing gown and walked out of the loo in time to see her daughter standing uncertainly in the doorway. "Mummy?"

"Hi baby," Hermione smiled at her. "Guess what."

Bella's lower lip trembled. "I'm sorry I told Harry, Mummy."

"Oh sweetheart, come here," Hermione held open her arms.

Bella ran into her mother's arms and hugged her tightly. "I didn't mean to. Honest."

"You know what?" Hermione said. "It doesn't matter. Because your father went to America for three weeks."

"He did?" Bella asked pulling away to look at her mother. "Really?"

Hermione nodded. "So we're going out for dinner. To our favourite restaurant."

Bella smiled. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Hermione said, choosing not to mention Harry's visit that morning.

Bella hugged her mother again. Three whole weeks without her father!

Hermione kissed the top of her head. "Go get ready, baby."

Bella nodded and hurried out of the room.

Hermione actually felt better than she had in weeks as she tied her hair back and dabbed makeup over her bruises.

The finished look was not that bad, she thought. Besides, the restaurant would be dimly lit.

She pulled a long sleeved jumper on to hide her arms then went to collect her daughter.

Across town, Harry was just sitting down to dinner with Ron and Luna. His two friends had arrived an hour ago after Harry had sent them an owl. He needed a different perspective and he knew that Ron and Luna would help.

"This is a beautiful town," Luna said.

"I still can't believe you actually got Cho Chang to do you a favour," Ron said as he scanned the menu. "I mean, she hated you and let's not forget that she's never liked Hermione."

"I think she knew I was desperate," Harry replied.

"Which she probably enjoyed," Ron said.

"Most likely," Harry shook his head.

"Ronald, do you know what you're going to get?" Luna asked.

"Everything looks so good," Ron said, his eyes gleaming.

Luna looked dreamily at him. "I love that look on your face..."

Ron grinned at her.

Harry laughed. "Okay, lovebirds..."

"He's just so good looking," Luna sighed.

"I am," Ron said puffing out his chest.

Harry rolled his eyes.

"We'll behave," Luna promised.

"For now," Ron added.

Harry distracted Ron and Luna by asking them about what was going on at Hogwarts. They regaled him with stories about students and their fellow professors. "McGonagall is crazy if she thinks I'm going to supervise those sprogs for a Hogsmeade weekend..."

"We'll go together," Luna said.

"Besides, I thought you liked those sprogs," Harry told him.

"Sometimes," Ron said. "As long as I have time for Honeydukes, I'm okay."

"...chicken strips first," Harry heard a familiar little girl's voice. "And then chips..."

He swivelled around in the chair so fast he pulled his back.

Hermione and Bella stopped in their tracks when they saw him. The hostess turned. "Miss? Right this way..."

"Of course," Hermione prodded Bella forward and looked away from Harry. She hadn't noticed Ron and Luna at the table.

"Oi!" Ron exclaimed. "Hermione Jane Granger!"

Luna put her hand on Ron's arm. "Ronald, shhhhhhh!"

Hermione froze at the sound of Ron's voice. "No," she whispered.

"Mummy?" Bella asked confused.

"One minute, baby." Hermione knew she couldn't pretend she hadn't heard them.

Bella sat down in her chair and watched with wide eyes as her mother approached the two strangers and Harry.

"Hello, Ron." Hermione said, ignoring Harry. "Luna."

"Hello, Hermione," Luna said when Ron didn't respond. "It's lovely to see you again."

"You too," Hermione nodded. "I'm sorry I can't stay- I'm having dinner with my daughter."

"Why don't you join us?" Luna asked. "Please?"

"I don't think so," Hermione replied softly.

Bella walked over and tugged on her mother's arm. "Mummy..."

Harry smiled at the little girl. "Hello, Bella. Don't you look beautiful tonight?"

"Thank you," Bella whispered.

"I'd like you to meet my friends," Harry told her. "This is Ron Weasley and Luna Lovegood."

Bella clung shyly to Hermione's arm.

"It's lovely to meet you," Luna said to the little girl. "You look just like your mum."

"Thanks," Bella looked uncertainly up at her mother.

"Alright, Hermione?" Ron asked after Luna elbowed him.

"Fine," Hermione said. "It's lovely to see you again, Ron."

Ron gaped at her. He knew that she had been through a lot, but he couldn't believe that was all that she had to say. "That's it? Ten years? Ten years since I've seen you and that's all you have to say?"

"I'm not doing this here," Hermione said coolly.

"We didn't know you were going to be here," Harry finally said. "Ron and Luna just arrived this afternoon."

"We're just out for a dinner," Hermione said.

"We won't keep you," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "Come on love," she said to Bella.

Bella followed her mother back to their table.

"What the hell was that all about?" Ron asked furiously.

The three of them sat back down and Harry sighed. "She's been through enough, Ron."

"Yeah but she acted like we're strangers," Ron said. "Not her best friends!"

"To her, we are strangers," Harry said quietly. He hated the way that she had pointedly ignored him.

Ron shook his head. "Let's eat."

"Right," Harry agreed picking up his menu.

"She's very sad," Luna gazed at Hermione and Bella.

Harry nodded. "Yes, she is, but she'd never admit it."

"Stubborn," Ron muttered.

"But she's safe," Harry said chancing a look in her direction. "That's all that matters."

"You think Cho got that bastard husband of hers out of there?" Ron asked.

Harry nodded. "Yeah. They wouldn't be out if she hadn't."

"I guess that's good," Ron said grudgingly.

Hermione was stealing glances in their direction as well. Bella followed her mother's gaze.

"Why couldn't we sit with them?" Bella asked.

"Because this is our time together," Hermione replied.

"Okay," she nodded.

"Did you want to sit with them?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know them," Bella said.

Hermione smiled reassuringly at her daughter. "That's okay, sweetheart. This is our night, right? And you can get whatever you want."

Bella smiled gratefully at her mother.

"And I was thinking we'd stop off and pick up some books afterwards," Hermione said. "And before you ask, yes, you can buy something for Billy."

"Really?" Bella perked up. "I can get a new book even after... even after I told?"

Hermione reached across the table and squeezed her daughter's hand. "You did nothing wrong, sweetheart."

Bella nodded.

The waiter came over to take their orders and Hermione had to laugh as she watched Bella think long and hard about what she wanted.

"The chicken," Bella finally decided. "And... chips. Lots of chips, please."

"And for you, miss?" the waiter asked turning his attention to Hermione.

"I'll have the Quiche Lorraine, please." Hermione answered.

The waiter took their menus. "I'll be right back with your drinks."

Hermione could not resist sneaking a look at Ron and Luna. She had known that the other girl had nursed a crush on Ron for years, but she never in a million years would have thought Ron would have reciprocated her feelings.

She was happy for her former best friend. They'd tried a relationship and it was fairly obvious that things wouldn't have worked out between them. He seemed very, very happy with the blonde.

Hermione watched as Luna fed a cracker to Ron.

"That's really good," Ron said using his napkin to wipe his mouth.

"I love watching you eat," Luna said her eyes gone glassy.

"I love it when you feed me," Ron said winking at her.

Harry rolled his eyes.

Luna giggled. "We're making Harry uncomfortable, Ronald."

"We did come all the way here to see him," Ron joked.

Harry laughed. "Thank you."

"But first, maybe my girl will dance with me," Ron motioned towards where a few couples were spinning around.

"Since when do you dance?" Harry asked.

"He doesn't," Luna giggled.

Ron glared at Harry before turning his attention to his girlfriend. "Will you?"

"I would love to," Luna said, her blue eyes sparkling.

Ron offered her his hand and Luna smiled up at him.

Harry sat back while Ron led Luna out to the dance floor.

He looked over at Hermione and Bella's table where the little girl was watching the couples dancing.

He decided to take a chance. He pushed his chair back and went over to their table. "Bella," he said invitingly. "Would you enjoy a dance?"

Bella wanted more than anything to say yes, but she shook her head. "No, thank you."

"Just one?" Harry pressed, looking over at Hermione.

"I thought you understood me earlier," Hermione told him. "Just go, Harry. Please."

"Hermione," Harry said. "Please- you have to understand where I was coming from. I couldn't let--"

Hermione did not want to get into this in front of Bella. "Sweetheart, I'll be right back. You stay here, okay?"

"Yes Mummy," Bella said.

Hermione motioned for Harry to follow her back to his table. He took this as a positive sign, until he saw the look in her eyes.

"I know all too well about your 'saving people thing'," Hermione said bitterly. "But I'm not yours to save, Harry!"

He tried to argue but she put her hand up. "I told you to leave me and my family alone. Tonight is my night with my daughter."

"Did you have to clear it with him before you came out tonight?" Harry asked, starting to get angry himself. All he wanted to do was help her and she was treating HIM like the bad guy.

"Leave us be," Hermione warned him. "You can't do anything this time, Harry."

"What happened in France?" Harry asked her point blank.

"Goodbye, Harry." Hermione turned away.

"I know he was arrested," Harry said. "I bet you know why, too."

"Leave it!" Hermione snapped.

"Is this man bothering you, miss?" a waiter asked Hermione.

Hermione shook her head. "No, we're done here."

"Hermione, wait." Harry said but she ignored him and went back to her daughter.

"Damn it!" Harry exclaimed, earning a warning look from the waiter.

Luna and Ron had seen this all take place and Luna shook her head. "This is awful, Ronald."

"I know," Ron said darkly. "Damn her."

"Ronald," Luna chastised. "She doesn't need that right now. She needs a friend."

"That's what he's trying to be, Luna," Ron pointed out.

"I can sense a great sadness around both of them," Luna said thoughtfully. "She wants to let him in, but she's afraid."

"She knows Harry wouldn't hurt her," Ron replied.

"I don't think she's worried about that," Luna said.

Harry sat down again, feeling more than frustrated with Hermione.

He wasn't the bad guy, but Hermione was sure as hell treating him like one. What else did he have to do?

He glanced over at their table again. Hermione was talking quietly to Bella, who nodded.

He loved her so much and all he wanted to do was hold her and tell her everything was going to be okay.

"I was thinking, what if we got our food to go," Hermione said. "And we get to the bookstore, then go home and eat while we watch a movie?"

"Oh," Bella said. "Okay."

"If you want," Hermione told her.

"Sure," Bella replied. "Can I pick the movie?"

"Absolutely," Hermione said.

Bella grinned. "Okay!"

Hermione motioned to the waiter and told him they wanted their food to go.

As she did so, she caught sight of Harry at his table, looking frustrated. She knew that look so well. She had seen it so many times over the years. Yet, she'd always been the one to reassure him that he could do it and that she would help him do it. But, she could not do that now.

The waiter came back with two white boxes in a bag for them.

She handed the waiter some money. "Thank you."

"We're sorry about the disturbance earlier, ma'am," the waiter said. "If it's affected service in any way--"

Hermione shook her head. "Not at all. He--he means well."

The waiter nodded. "Have a nice night."

"Thank you," Hermione said softly. She chanced one more look at Harry.

He was looking over at her, his green eyes unreadable.

Hermione let her mind wander and she saw herself walking over to his table. "Harry..."

He looked up at her hopefully. "Yeah?"

"I love you," Hermione said softly. "I always have. I was just scared...you don't know what he's capable of..."

"I won't let him hurt you again," Harry stood up and reached for her.

Hermione wrapped her arms around him.

"I was waiting for this," he said huskily.

"Me too," Hermione said looking up at him.

"I love you," he said softly.

"You have no idea how long I wanted to hear that," Hermione said leaning in.

"I've wanted to tell you for so long," Harry's fingers tangled in her hair.

"Ten years?" Hermione asked teasingly.

"Yeah," Harry said softly, leaning in.

"Mummy!" Bella cried out.

"What?" Hermione jumped.

"Say goodbye to your mother, Isabella," Damian said grabbing Bella roughly by the arm.

"Damian!" Hermione cried out. "No! You can't take her!"

"You signed the papers," Damian reminded her icily. "You knew what would happen if you tried to leave me..."

"But--" Hermione protested. "I'm not..."

"Mummy!" Bella reached for Hermione.

"Baby," Hermione reached for her but Damian dragged her away.

Hermione turned to Harry for help, but to her horror, he was crumpled on the ground, crying out in pain.

"NO!" she screamed.

"Mummy?" Bella asked tugging at her mother's hand. "Mummy?"

"Bella!" Hermione gasped.

Bella looked up at her mother with concern. "Are you okay, Mummy?"

Hermione shook her head. "Yes..."

"Are you ready to go?" Bella asked.

"Of course, baby." Hermione said, taking their food.

Bella took Hermione's free hand and together they left the restaurant.

"You know who I blame in all this," Ron said as he and Luna sat back down. "Neville."

"Why?" Luna asked.

"He knew all along and never said anything to us," Ron said. "Not one word."

"She made him promise not to," Harry pointed out. "Threatened to get a secret keeper, even."

"Neville was being a great friend," Luna said loyally. "I won't have you putting him down, Ronald."

Harry nodded. "She's right."

"I know he's your best mate and all, Luna," Ron said. "But come on..."

"He told her he wouldn't tell, and I respect him for keeping that decision," Luna told him.

"I was mad at first, too," Harry said.

Ron just shook his head.

"She said she wasn't mine to save," Harry said quietly.

"I'm sorry mate," Ron said.

"I don't know what to do," Harry admitted.

"Just give her some time," Luna advised him.

"You bought yourself three weeks," Ron said.

"I hope so," Harry answered.

The waiter came over with their food and Ron rubbed his hands together.

"Can I try some of yours?" he asked Luna.

Luna laughed. "Of course."

"Thanks," Ron said happily.

Harry picked distractedly at his own food. He could not get the image of Hermione's bruised and beaten face out of his mind.

He knew she wanted nothing to do with him right now, but decided it wasn't going to stop him from trying to help her.