Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Long, long chapter you guys. But next week wraps this story up!

Policy of Truth - Depeche Mode

You had something to hide
Should have hidden it, shouldn't you
Now you're not satisfied
With what you're being put through
It's just time to
pay the price
For not listening to advice
And deciding in your youth
On the policy of truth

Cho stood up from the back of the room and walked to the front. She levelled an icy gaze at Damian.

Hermione looked at the woman she'd been so jealous of all those years ago. Cho was still as stunningly beautiful as she'd been back then.

Cho was sworn in and she sat down calmly in the witness stand.

"Dr. Chang," Annie said approaching her. "Thank you for joining us on such short notice. Can you please tell the court where you are currently employed.

"Johns Hopkins Memorial Hospital in Baltimore," Cho answered.

"And how did you come to know Dr. Damian Conaghan?" Annie asked.

"He was brought to work on a case of St. Louis Encephalitis," Cho said. "We'd heard he was a specialist."

"And you were assigned to show him around the hospital were you not?" Annie asked her.

"Yes I was," Cho nodded.

"What were your first impressions of Damian Conaghan?" Annie asked.

"Very unprofessional," Cho answered. "He seemed more interested in my evening plans than the case we brought him there for."

"Are you saying he propositioned you?" Annie asked.

"Not just me," Cho said. "Nearly every nurse at the hospital."

"Did you report your concerns to anyone?" Annie asked.

"My superior," Cho nodded.

"And what happened?" Annie asked.

"The chief of staff said he would talk to Dr. Conaghan," Cho replied. "But, it did not do any good."

"What happened next?" Annie coaxed.

"I caught him in the on-call room with one of the student nurses," Cho replied.

Hermione bit her lower lip as Cho told of all the infidelities her husband had committed. Despite everything he had done to her, it still hurt to hear how easy it was for him to cheat on her.

"In the short time that Damian Conaghan consulted at Johns Hopkins, there were 10 complaints filed against him with the chief-of-staff," Annie said producing the thick folder that Cho had given her. She handed it to the judge.

Michael stood up. "I reserve the right to look through that evidence."

"Of course," Annie said sweetly. "We have nothing to hide."

She'd had her clerks make a copy of the file during the lunch hour and she handed that to him.

"Your witness," Annie said to Michael.

Michael stood up. It was obvious Cho's testimony had shaken him.

"Dr. Chang," Michael said. "You've been at Johns' Hopkins for two years now, correct?"

"Yes," Cho replied. "I'm a second-year resident."

"And have you always kept focused on your tasks at hand?" Michael asked, hoping to discredit her.

"I had top marks in my undergraduate studies at the University of Maryland," Cho replied. "I graduated top of my class in medical school. What do you think?"

"According to my client, you were receptive of his advances," Michael said.

"I have a boyfriend," Cho told him icily. "A boyfriend that I love very much. The only response I had to Dr. Conaghan's advances was repulsion."

"He said there were a few times in the on call room," Michael pursued.

"He propositioned me in the on-call room when I was working on my files," Cho told him. "When I told him I had a boyfriend and wasn't interested, he still didn't take the hint."

"My client also reported that you ruined a friendship he had with another nurse," Michael said after looking at Damian.

"Friendship?" Cho rolled her eyes. "Okay..."

"Objection," Annie stood up. "Relevance."

"Sustained," the judge said.

Annie sat back down, pleased. Michael, on the other hand, returned to the desk to speak to Damian.

"Damian, why didn't you tell me about that file?" Michael hissed at him. "One woman we could paint as a liar, but ten?"

"I didn't know she had it," Damian snapped in a low whisper. "Finish her!"

"I. Don't. Have. Anything," Michael retorted.

"Then get rid of her," Damian growled.

Michael sighed and approached Cho once more. "Did you know Dr. Conaghan was married?"

"Yes," Cho said. "I read his file before he arrived."

"Did he mention to you how hard it was to be away from his wife and daughter?" Michael asked.

"No," Cho replied. "In fact, I had to remind him he had one when he propositioned me in the on-call room.'

Michael nearly growled. "No further questions," he snapped.

Michael glared at his client. They would have to depend on character witnesses to have any hope of winning this case. But, he knew things did not look good.

"I have no further witnesses," Annie said, trying to keep a smug smile off her face.

Michael called a series of witnesses, mostly Damian's colleagues from the local hospital. It was nearly five in the afternoon when Michael and Annie made their closing statements. The judge announced that he would make his decision tomorrow morning.

"Tomorrow?" Hermione asked bleakly.

"It is late in the day," Annie said. "But I think our chances are great, Hermione. Get a good night's sleep."

"I'll try," Hermione said with a sigh. "I've never wanted something to be over as much as this."

Damian and his attorney stalked out of the courtroom nearly knocking Cho Chang over. Cho rolled her eyes and shook her head. She approached Harry, Ron, and Luna. "Harry, I really am knackered."

"I know," Harry said. "Thanks for coming, Cho."

Cho nodded and turned on her heel to walk away, but Hermione called out to her.

"Cho," Hermione said. "Thank you."

Cho shrugged. "We've never really gotten on, but I couldn't let him get away with this."

"My daughter thanks you too," Hermione said sincerely. "She means everything to me, and I can't lose her. Your testimony helped."

Cho smiled. "It's not me you should thank." She looked pointedly at Harry.

"I know," Hermione nodded, following her gaze.

"Good luck," Cho said shaking Hermione's hand.

"Thank you," Hermione said again.

Cho nodded and walked out of the courtroom.

Hermione went back to Harry's said. "Let's go get Bella and Billy," she suggested. "And go back to the house with my parents. We'll have a nice night in."

Harry smiled. "That sounds perfect."

"You're both welcome to join us," Hermione looked at Ron and Luna.

"We'd love to, but we need to get back to Hogwarts," Ron told her.

"Another time?" Hermione asked. "Soon?"

"Of course," Ron said giving her a hug. "I'm proud of you."

Hermione hugged him tightly. "Thanks Ron."

"Don't get all mushy on me now," Ron joked.

"Never," she smiled. "Luna, thank you for being here today."

"I hope we can become friends," Luna said softly.

Hermione nodded. "Me too."

Harry hugged Luna. "Keep him in line, Lovegood."

"I'm the only one who can," Luna said, laughing.

"I'm right here you know," Ron reminded them.

"We know," Luna reached into his pocket and stole one of his biscuits.

Ron grinned. "Come on then, Loony."

Harry, Hermione, Robert and Elinore left the courthouse and headed towards the orphanage to pick Bella and Billy up.

The kids were playing on the swings in the quad.

"MUMMY!" Bella shouted, jumping off as she spotted her mother.

Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes as she saw her daughter. She knelt down and opened her arms.

Bella hurled herself at Hermione.

Hermione hugged her tightly. "How was your first day back?"

"Good," Bella said. "But everyone kept asking me about you."

"What did they want to know?" Hermione asked. She could just imagine the gossip.

"Why Daddy hit you," Bella said soberly. "And if he hit me too."

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that," Hermione said hugging her again.

"It's ok," Bella wrapped her arms around Hermione.

Harry walked over to Billy. "How's it going?"

Billy's entire face brightened. "Hi Harry!"

"How was school?" Harry asked.

"Okay," Billy said.

"No fights?" Harry asked.

Billy shook his head. "Bella told me not to, but I wanted to smack some of them."

"Listen to Bella," Harry said mussing Billy's hair.

Billy ducked but grinned at him.

"I need to clear it first, but how would you feel about going home with us for the night?" Harry asked him.

"For the night?" Billy asked. "Really? I get to come home with you guys?"

Harry nodded. "If you'd like to, that is."

Billy nodded and in a surprising move, hugged Harry around the middle.

Harry hugged him back. "I just need to go ask the headmistress. I'm sure it will be fine though."

Billy nodded eagerly.

"Wait for me here," Harry told him. "I'll be right back."

Billy nodded. "I won't move."

Harry grinned at him before he walked toward the school. Bella ran over to her best friend. "If Dr. McGraw says yes, you can meet Buckbeak!"

"That's your fish, right?" he asked.

Bella nodded. "And you can eat dinner with us, too! This is gonna be sooo much fun!"

He nodded. "Bells? What do you think Harry would say if I told him I wanted him to be my dad?"

Bella looked at him in surprise. "Really?"

"I told Dr. McGraw I don't want to go with those other people," Billy said.

"What did she say?" Bella asked.

"I don't think she was too happy," Billy said.

"When are you going to tell Harry?" Bella asked looking over her shoulder to where her mother was talking to her grandparents.

"Maybe tonight?" he asked.

Bella smiled. "I bet he says yes."

Billy felt hopeful and was about to say something else when Harry came back down.

"What did she say?" Bella asked him.

Harry picked her up and tickled her side. "She said he could go home with us for the night."

"For the WHOLE night?" Bella asked.

"For the whole entire night," Harry replied tickling her again. "But no staying up late because you both have to be up early for school and your mum and me have to be in court."

"Was my daddy there?" Bella asked. "Was he mean to Mummy again?"

"He was there, but he stayed at his table and she stayed at hers," Harry told her, deciding not to tell her about the incident in the bathroom.

"Good," Bella replied.

Harry set her down. "I'm going to help Billy pack his things for the night. Tell your mum I'll be right back."

"Okay," Bella said, hugging him hard before dashing off.

Billy smiled up at Harry. "You know, I've never slept over at Bella's house before."

"You haven't?" Harry asked.

Billy shook his head. "Dr. Conaghan would never allow it."

"I'm sure you'll be able to now." Harry said, his hand on the young boy's shoulder.

"Bells said you sleep over there too," Billy said as they walked toward the dormitory.

"I have this week," Harry nodded.

Billy was silent, wondering if he should tell Harry now when they were alone.

"What's on your mind?" Harry asked, sensing Billy's thoughts.

"I don't want to be adopted by the Carsons," Billy told him.

"How come?" Harry asked, trying not to show how much that news pleased him.

"They were nice, but I want someone else to be my family," Billy said.

"Oh?" Harry asked

Billy nodded.

"I'm sure the right parents will come along for you," Harry assured him.

"I want it to be you," Billy blurted out.

Harry looked startled.

Billy looked up at him.

"I don't know what to say..." Harry sat down on the edge of the bed.

Billy wished he hadn't said anything. He busied himself with packing his bag for the night.

"Billy..." Harry said.

"It's okay if you don't want to," Billy said, avoiding looking at him.

"Billy, it's not that," Harry said. "I don't have any children, you know. But, I think if I did have a son, I'd want him to be like you."

"Yeah," he muttered.

Harry wished Hermione was here with him. She'd know exactly what to say. "Let's pack your bag. We don't want to keep everyone waiting."

Billy only nodded.

Billy didn't say anything else while he packed his bag.

"Come on," Harry said quietly, leading him back downstairs.

"All packed and ready?" Hermione asked Billy. "Tilly is making spaghetti, which I know you love."

"Thanks, Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said.

Bella took his hand. "It's going to be great."

Billy waited until Harry and Hermione had walked ahead. "I told him," he said to Bella. "I don't think he wants me."

"What?" Bella asked. "Why?"

"He said IF he had a son, he'd want him to be like me," Billy said. "But he didn't tell me he wanted it to be me."

"He didn't say no though," Bella pointed out.

"Yeah but---" Billy began.

"Just give him time," Bella told him.

"Okay," Billy shrugged.

"When we get to your house," Harry whispered to Hermione. "I need to talk to you."

"About what?" she asked.

"Billy," Harry whispered.

Hermione looked at him strangely.

"And I'll tell you about Cho," Harry promised.

"Okay," she said.

They made it back to Hermione's house a few minutes later. Bella immediately took Billy upstairs to her room to show him her goldfish. Robert and Elinore decided to freshen up before dinner and Harry followed Hermione into the sitting room. "So, what's going on?" Hermione asked. "What's going on with Billy?"

"Hermione he asked me to adopt him," Harry blurted out. "I didn't know what to say."

"What about the Carsons?" Hermione asked.

"He doesn't want them," Harry raised his shoulders.

"Harry," Hermione said.

"I'd love to have him as a son," Harry told her.

"That little boy has been through way too much in his short life," Hermione said. "He's felt rejected by every person that's ever loved him, Harry. "

"I know," Harry nodded. "I hated what I said- it just took me by surprise."

"What do you want?" Hermione asked him. "What do you really want?"

"To be with you," Harry said. "To have a family."

"And where does Billy fit into that?" Hermione asked him gently.

"I can see him, you know." Harry said. "Sitting at the dinner table with us. Going on holiday to visit your parents. Opening presents with Bella under the Christmas tree. I just don't know how to go about it. I don't want to tell him only to have him be disappointed if it doesn't happen."

"You'd be a wonderful father," Hermione said hugging him tightly.

"You really think so?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded.

"I mean... how do I even go about this?" Harry asked. "Adoption..."

"You tell Dr. McGraw," Hermione said. "You fill out papers...."

"Do you think it could happen?" Harry ventured.

Hermione took his hands in hers. "I do."

"He's such a great kid," Harry said. "I just... I didn't like the thought of him going anywhere else."

Hermione smiled. "I knew."

Harry smiled at her. "I shouldn't burden you with this."

"I want to help," Hermione said. "That's what you do, you know? For people that you love..."

Harry nodded. "I'd do anything to help you."

"You did," Hermione said looking into his eyes. "With Cho.:"

"I got her to call him there," Harry said. "I knew she could find a reason... and I wanted to get him out of here."

"Thank you," Hermione said touching his cheek.

"I knew we could reconnect," Harry said. "I didn't' know when, but I knew we could. If he was out of the way."

"You never gave up on me," Hermione whispered.

Harry shook his head. "I couldn't. I knew you were out there somewhere."

Hermione leaned in and gave him a kiss.

Harry closed his eyes and pressed his lips against hers.

Hermione wrapped her arms around him and pulled him closer. She'd wanted this all day long.

"We aren't moving too fast?" he asked.

Hermione stared dazedly at him. "Maybe..."

Harry nodded. "We need to take it slow. You need time to recover after all this without worrying about a relationship with me."

"I just want you to know that's what I want," Hermione said softly. "To be with you."

Harry nodded. "It's all at your pace, Hermione. I can wait for you."

"Which makes me love you even more," Hermione said giving him another kiss.

Harry held her close- not too tightly, he knew she was still recovering- but closely enough.

Elinore cleared her throat. "I'm sorry to interrupt. But, Tilly said that dinner was ready."

Harry and Hermione pulled apart. "Thanks Mum. We'll be right down."

Elinore smiled at the young couple before she closed the door.

"Let's get the children," Hermione said to Harry.

"Right," Harry squeezed her hand.

Hermione led the way across the hall to Bella's room.

"Kids?" Hermione knocked on the door. "Dinner's ready."

Bella smiled. "I'm starving."

"Billy?" Harry asked. "I'd like a quick word."

"Okay," Billy said warily.

Bella and Hermione left the room. Harry sat down on Bella's bed. "I've been thinking a lot about what you told me earlier."

"It's okay," Billy kicked at the ruffle on the bed. "I shouldn't have said anything."

"No, I'm glad that you did," Harry reassured him. "The truth is, I've thought about that myself."

Billy was surprised. "You have? You want me?"

Harry smiled. "I do."

"But I thought you didn't," Billy said.

"I never said that," Harry said. "It's just when you asked me---it startled me. I didn't quite know what to say at that moment."

Billy was still staring at him. "But you want... you want to adopt me?"

Harry nodded and smiled at the boy. "But, there's a lot we have to do before that happens, Billy. There's a chance I could be turned down."

"But what if I tell them I want you to be my dad?" Billy asked desperately.

"That will help," Harry said. "But you remember all the Carsons had to go through? We'll go through that, as well."

"I don't care," Billy told him.

"I just don't want to disappoint you," Harry said.

"I'll tell Mrs. McGraw tomorrow," Billy said.

Harry stood up and walked over to Billy. "I want you to know that I do want this. I want us to be a family."

Billy smiled tentatively. "Me too."

Harry gave him a hug.

"Come on," Harry said. "Let's go get some of that spaghetti."

Billy grinned. "Okay."

Harry followed Billy downstairs.

Hermione could tell by the grin on Billy's face that the talk with Harry had gone well.

"Billy I saved you a spot by me," Bella said.

"Thanks, Bells," Billy said sitting down beside her.

Harry took a seat next to Hermione and looked around the table. This was the family he hoped could be his someday.

*** *** ***

The next morning found Hermione leaving for the courthouse with her parents and Harry, in tow. Harry had gotten up earlier that morning to see the children off to school and to notify Dr. McGraw of his intentions toward Billy.

Hermione wanted to ask him how it had gone but decided to wait until after the verdict. She didn't think she'd be able to concentrate on anything else.

"It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" Elinore commented.

Hermione nodded absently. It could be raining for all she cared.

Harry squeezed her hand. "Alright?"

"I will be when this is all over," Hermione said.

"It will be in just a few minutes," Harry tried to reassure her.

"I know it's in our favour, but what if he rules for Damian?" Hermione asked. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost Bella."

"You're not going to lose her," Harry vowed. "No matter what that judge says."

"I don't want anything else from him," Hermione said.

"You're going to get custody," Robert told his daughter. "And that son-of-a-bitch is going to go away for a long time for what he did to you."

Hermione only nodded, her mouth going dry as they arrived at the courthouse.

Harry held the door open for them. To his dismay, he caught sight of Damian Conaghan walking up the steps with his attorney.

Hermione caught sight of him too and paled.

"If it isn't my wife and her lover," Damian said sarcastically.

"Just ignore him," Harry said to Hermione.

"Come on, Damian," Michael said, not wanting a scene.

"You'll never win," Damian said in a low voice. "I'll always be around, Hermione."

"I don't want anything from you," Hermione told him. "I just want my daughter."

Damian smirked.

"Damian, come on," Michael said yanking on his client's arm.

Hermione watched him go, and let out a breath she didn't realise she'd been holding.

"Come on," Robert said. "Annie's waiting for us.'

"Right," Hermione sighed.

Annie was waiting for them in the courtroom. She welcomed the four of them and told Hermione that she had a good feeling about the judge's decision.

"I hope you're right," Hermione replied. "I can barely function right now."

Annie nodded sympathetically. "How's your daughter?"

"She's fine," Hermione said. "Had her best friend stay over last night."

"That's nice," Annie said. "Normalcy is very important for her."

Hermione nodded.

The bailiff entered the courtroom and announced the judge. "Please rise."

She felt her knees nearly knocking together and wished Harry were standing next to her.

The judge banged his gavel. "Be seated."

Annie smiled encouragingly at Hermione.

"Mr. and Mrs. Conaghan," the judge addressed them. "We are here to discuss one thing and one thing only. The well-being and custody of your daughter, Isabella. From all accounts, this little girl is a good student with good manners and a kind heart."

"I am concerned that sending her to live with the wrong parent could do her serious harm, and it was not an easy decision to come to," the judge continued. "Throughout this trial we have heard from both sides," the judge said. "And there is the matter of the contract that Mrs. Conaghan signed."

Hermione chanced a look in Damian's direction and he had the nerve to smirk back at her.

"I'm concerned that you would sign this contract without fully reading it, Mrs. Conaghan. To me, it signified that you don't think things through." the judge continued.

Hermione looked down. It was not something she was proud of either. All her life she had always considered her options and thought things through, but with that one contract, she'd just signed without a second thought.

"However," the judge turned to look at Damian. "The evidence shown against you is astounding. I have taken in the amount of infidelities, including those you indulged in while overseas on business, as well as your arrests for the abuse of your wife."

Damian put his hands on the table. Hermione had seen that look all too many times. He was trying to keep his temper in check.

"I simply cannot place a child into an environment such as that you would provide for her," the judge said evenly. "While there is no evidence that you have hurt her, my instincts tell me that someday that would change."

"NO!" Damian shouted.

"Silence!" the judge barked. "One more outburst and I'll hold you in contempt!"

Damian's attorney put his hand on Damian's shoulder and shot him a look of warning.

"Therefore," the judge continued. "I am nullifying this contract. Isabella Conaghan is placed into sole custody of her mother, Hermione Conaghan. Damian Conaghan is to pay child support each month until the child turns 18."

Damian glared at the judge.

"I am also keeping the restraining order in place," the judge told them.

Hermione sighed in relief.

"You BITCH!" Damian roared, lunging for her.

Harry acted on pure instinct. His old Seeker reflexes came into play as he reached Damian just before he got his hands on Hermione. Harry shoved him back, resisting the very powerful urge to kill him.

"Harry," Hermione said. "Let him. He's just going to hang himself now."

The bailiff stepped in between them.

"Take him into custody," the judge snapped.

The bailiff forcefully grabbed Damian's arm and yanked him out of the courtroom.

"He will be arraigned tomorrow," the judge said to Michael.

"I'm sorry your honour," Michael said.

"It's not me you have to apologise to," the judge said pointedly. "Congratulations, Mrs. Conaghan. I can see I made the correct decision."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you, your honour. Thank you so much."

The judge banged his gavel and left the courtroom.

Hermione turned and looked at the people who meant the most in this world to her---her parents, Harry, Ron and Luna. They'd all been here to support her at the toughest time in her life. And they were here to congratulate her now that her nightmare seemed to finally be over.

"This is wonderful, sweetheart," Elinore said.

"It is," Hermione said meeting Harry's eyes.

Harry smiled at her. "Everything's working out."

"Just as you said it would," Hermione said hugging him. "I couldn't have done this without you."

Harry hugged her back. "Yes you could have."

"I doubt that," Hermione said. "I can't even begin to thank you."

"You don't have to," Harry said.

"We all do," Robert said. "Thank you, Harry."

Harry shook his hand.

"You're a good man, Harry," Robert said.

"Thank you," Harry said sincerely.

Elinore gave him a hug. "We're sorry we never really gave you a chance."

"It's all in the past," Harry said.

"I want to go and tell Bella," Hermione said to him.

"She'll be so happy," Elinore said.

Hermione nodded. "All that's left now is the criminal trial..."

"His arrest today will count against him," Annie said. "Plus the other times he has violated the restraining order."

"He'll be nothing but a bad memory," Elinore said taking her daughter's hand.

"I just hope it goes as quickly as this one," Hermione said.

"It will," Annie reassured her. "Now, you go and tell your daughter the great news."

"I'll talk to you soon," Hermione said before hurrying out of the courthouse with Harry and her parents.

Back at the school, the students were just taking their morning recess. "You want to play football, Bells?" Billy asked.

Bella shook her head. "I just want to see my mummy."

"I wonder how long it takes," Billy said.

"I don't know," Bella kicked at the ground. "But I don't want to go live with my daddy."

"Harry said that would never happen," Billy tried to reassure her.

"I hope not," Bella said quietly.

Billy opened his mouth to say something else when he saw Mrs. Conaghan, Bella's grandparents and Harry walking toward them. "Bells."

Bella's head snapped up. "MUMMY!"

Hermione held open her arms and Bella ran toward her.

The little girl threw herself at her mother. "I get to stay with you, right?"

"Yes," Hermione said hugging her tightly. "Forever, baby."

"I don't ever have to see him again?" Bella asked.

"Never again," Hermione promised.

Bella hugged her mother tightly.

"Good news, eh?" Harry asked tugging affectionately at the little girl's ponytail.

"Yes," Bella grinned at him.

"That's not the only good news," Harry said grinning at Billy. "I put in the paperwork today for the adoption."

"You did?" Billy asked. "Really?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah."

"So you're going to be my dad," Billy said, staring up at him. "You really want to be MY dad!"

Harry picked him up. "Yes, I really do."

Hermione had to smile as Billy hugged Harry. "I say this is definitely a day with a happy ending."

"This is the best day ever," Bella giggled. She spotted her grandparents. "Grandma! Grandpa!"

"Hello, darling," Elinore said.

"How's my favourite girl today?" Robert asked.

"Good, now that I get to stay with Mummy," Bella said.

"Was Dr. Conaghan really mad?" Billy asked Harry.

Harry nodded. "Pretty upset."

"But, none of that matters now," Hermione said squeezing Bella's hand. "Because we aren't going to be afraid of him anymore. He can't hurt us ever again."

"Especially you," Bella said, resting her head on Hermione's shoulder.

"I'm just so sorry that I had to put you through that, baby," Hermione said softly.

"It wasn't your fault, Mummy." Bella said.

Hermione hugged her tightly. "I didn't set a very good example for you, Bella. It's never right for someone to hit you or make you feel less than you are."

"I know," Bella replied.

"I love you, baby," Hermione said resting her forehead on Bella's. "More than anything in this world."

"Well," Harry said. "Once you two are done with school for the day we'll have to go out to celebrate."

Billy and Bella grinned at each other. "Pizza!"

Hermione laughed. "Pizza it is."

The morning recess was coming to an end and Billy and Bella reluctantly said their goodbyes before following their classmates inside. Elinore and Robert excused themselves to check in with their office back in London. This left Harry and Hermione alone.

"Come on," Harry said. "Let's go to my office."

Hermione nodded. "Okay."

"How are you feeling, really?" Harry asked her.

"Relieved," Hermione replied. "Happy. Emotional...you name it and I'm feeling it right now."

Harry nodded. "What will you do with the house?"

"Sell it," Hermione said. "I'd like to start over in some place smaller; some place where Bella and I can make good memories."

"Maybe someday when you're ready, you could make those memories with me and Billy," Harry said softly.

Hermione turned to look at him. "I'd love that."

"We'll take things slow, as slow as you want," Harry promised.

Hermione smiled at him. "I don't know what I ever did to deserve this."

"You let me back in," Harry said. "That's all it took."

Hermione closed the office door behind them. She hugged him. "I love you. I always have."

"I love you too," Harry buried his face in her hair. "I never stopped."

"I was thinking one night that I could have my parents watch Bella," Hermione whispered.

"Hermione--" he began.

"Just a dinner," Hermione interjected. "And we'll just see where the night goes..."

"I just don't want you to do anything that might set you back," Harry told her.

Hermione hugged him again. "I know."

"I should go talk to Dr. McGraw and see if there's anything else I can do to speed along the process," Harry said.

Hermione nodded and leaned in for a kiss.

Harry kept his lips pressed gently to hers for a moment.

"Good luck," Hermione whispered.

"Thanks," Harry said. "Are you going to wait in here?"

Hermione nodded. "If you don't mind..."

"I don't mind at all," he replied. "Be back soon."

Hermione sat down on the small sofa. For the first time in what seemed like forever, she actually felt happy.

She rested her head on the pillow and closed her eyes. She'd barely been able to sleep a wink last night.

She'd tossed and turned last night imagining every worst case scenario possible.

Now Hermione could relax.

Harry wished he could say the same. He'd felt great about his chances with the adoption when he'd filled out the paperwork, but now Dr. McGraw was drilling him with questions.

"What sort of home do you think you can provide for a child?" she asked.

"Well, I have a flat in London and my godfather left me his family estate, but I've never really lived in one place for very long," Harry replied.

"Hmm..." Dr. McGraw wrote that down.

Harry frowned and cursed himself for saying that. "Um, but I'm going to move to Johannesburg. Permanently."

"Oh?" Dr. McGraw looked up.

Harry nodded. "I finally feel like I want to settle down somewhere. This place feels like home."

"What made you decide that?" she asked.

"This school, the people," Harry replied. "Billy."

Dr. McGraw nodded again and wrote something else down.

"He's a great kid, Dr. McGraw," Harry said.

"Yes he is," Dr. McGraw nodded.

"I know what it's like to grow up without parents," Harry said. "I know what it's like to feel alone and unloved. I don't want Billy to feel like that."

"That's what I like to hear," Dr. McGraw said.

Dr. McGraw made some more notes and then she levelled her gaze at Harry. "Are you dating anyone right now, Harry?"

"Not at the moment," he said honestly. It was true- he and Hermione were not dating.

"I know you're currently residing in a hotel," Dr. McGraw said. "Have you made plans for a permanent residence?"

"I'm looking for a decent flat," Harry nodded. "Or a nice small house."

"It's important that you set that up fairly quickly," Dr. McGraw told him.

"Of course," Harry said. "I'll work on having something by week's end."

"Once you've settled in, the social worker will visit your home to determine if it's a suitable location for the child," Dr. McGraw told him. "And you'll need to submit letters of recommendation."

"Right," Harry nodded.

"I'll talk with Billy's social worker today and have her contact you," Dr. McGraw told him.

"I appreciate it," Harry said.

Dr. McGraw shook his hand. "Good luck, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry said. "I'll be back Friday full time, and I believe Mrs. Conaghan will be back to work next week."

Dr. McGraw nodded. "You've really turned things around for us, Harry."

"That's why I'm here," Harry replied. "I'm glad to do it."

"I'll see you on Friday then," Dr. McGraw told him as she saw him to the door.

Harry shook her hand again and headed back down to his office.

He opened the door and smiled when he saw Hermione fast asleep on the sofa. He knelt down in front of her and brushed a strand of hair from her face.

She mumbled something but didn't wake up, so he decided to do some paperwork while she kipped.

He took a blanket and draped it over her before he sat down behind his desk.

Hermione slept for three hours. Harry rang her parents and told them what was going on and that they would just meet them at the house later.

Harry gently shook Hermione. "Hey..."

"Hmm..." she murmured.

Harry touched her cheek. "Time to wake up..."

"Where are we?" she asked, blinking.

"My office, sleepyhead," Harry grinned.

"Oh yeah," Hermione pushed herself up.

"I didn't know that you talked in your sleep," Harry teased her.

She blushed crimson. "What did I say?"

"You were babbling something about Ron's body," Harry said trying to keep a straight face.

"What?" Hermione looked disgusted.

"Something about his arse," Harry said wincing.

"Harry James Potter, I said nothing of the sort," Hermione said.

"You did," Harry retorted. "You kept going on and on about it..."

"I don't believe you," Hermione said.

"I know what I heard," Harry said with a grin.

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Does wonders for a bloke's ego, you know," Harry commented. "Hearing that the woman he fancies still carries a torch for her old flame..."

"I never liked Ron that much," Hermione informed him.

"Oh, you were just after him for his bum," Harry teased.

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed. "I was NOT talking about Ron, or his bum."

Harry grinned. "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much..."

"Honestly," Hermione muttered.

"Okay," Harry said, putting his arms around her. "You didn't mention anything about Ron."

"I know," she said.

"Forgive me?" Harry asked.

"Of course," she said.

Harry gave her a kiss. "I like seeing you smile and hearing that laugh."

"It feels like it's been a long time since I was able to be myself," Hermione answered.

"Those days are over," Harry said. "You have your daughter, Hermione. And you never have to worry about Damian Conaghan again."

"I hope not," Hermione said. "I hope he doesn't pull something at the criminal trial."

"There's no way he'd get off," Harry said confidently. "And that trick he pulled today certainly didn't help."

Hermione nodded. "I hope I can get a quick divorce."

"You should send an owl to Lavender Brown," Harry told her. "She is the queen of the quick divorce. She's already on her fourth marriage."

"What?" Hermione asked in disbelief.

Harry chuckled. "I think the ink wasn't dry on her divorce papers before she married the fourth bloke."

"Goodness," Hermione mused.

Harry was going to suggest they get the children, but an idea suddenly came to him. "Um, I just remembered there's something I have to do..."

"What?" Hermione asked.

Harry just grinned at her. "I'll meet you at the restaurant."

"Harry--" she said, bewildered.

Harry pecked her on the cheek. "I'll meet you there. I promise."

"Okay," she said, wondering why he was being so mysterious.

Hermione found Billy and Bella in the lobby and took the two children back to the house to get ready for the party. They arrived at the restaurant a little after six and Harry was still nowhere to be found. To Hermione's delight, Ron and Luna had made it.

"Who's he?" Billy asked Hermione.

"Billy, I'd like you to meet Harry's best friend," Hermione said. "This is Ron Weasley and his girlfriend, Luna Lovegood."

"He's friends with Harry?" Billy asked.

"Hiya," Ron said extending his hand.

"Hi," Billy said, reaching out.

Ron shook the little boy's hand. "Harry tells me you have quite the appetite. I think you and I are going to get along."

Billy grinned at him.

Ron laughed and looked at Hermione. "I like this kid."

Hermione smiled but didn't say anything about Harry's plans. That was his place to tell, not hers. "Hello Luna. I'm so glad you made it tonight."

"I wouldn't have missed it," Luna said giving her a hug. "You're very important to Ronald."

It hit Hermione then how much she had missed having real, honest friends in her life. "He's important to me too. As are you."

"I'd like us to be friends," Luna said softly. "I don't have that many..."

"We're already friends now," Hermione told her.

"Where is Harry?" Luna asked looking around the room.

"I don't know," Hermione said. "He had an errand to run and said he'd meet us here."

Bella walked over to her mother and tugged on her arm. "Mummy?"

"Yes, love?" she asked.

Belly tried to remember exactly what Harry had told her to say. "Harry wants you...Harry said for you...go to the roof."

"What?" Hermione asked. "When did you see him?"

"Just now," Bella said.

"Oh..." Hermione said. "Well... I guess I'll be back in a few minutes. Tell Grandma for me, will you?"

Bella nodded. "Okay, Mummy."

Hermione went outside and up the stairwell that led her to the roof. "Harry?"

"You look beautiful," he called out from behind her.

She gasped. "You scared me!"

"I'm sorry," Harry said reaching for her hand. "I didn't mean to."

"It's okay," she smiled at him. "Are you going to tell me all about this mysterious errand of yours?"

"Have a seat," Harry said leading her over to where he'd set up a small table and chairs.

Hermione was confused but she followed him and sat down.

"I know the past few weeks have been crazy," Harry said.

"That's an understatement," Hermione shook her head.

"You said that you were feeling more like yourself now," Harry continued.

"More so than in a long time," Hermione nodded.

"There was something I thought that might help," Harry said grinning at her as he held out a box.

Hermione gasped when she opened it. "My wand?"

Harry nodded. "It was in your parents' attic."

"I can't believe you found it," Hermione picked it up lovingly.

"I'm just glad your parents saved it," Harry said sitting down beside her.

"I didn't think they would," Hermione said.

"I think a part of them knew you might want it back someday," Harry said softly.

Hermione waved it. "Wingardium Leviosa," she pointed to the table.

The table shook a bit before it rose. Harry grinned at her. "The witch has still got it..."

Hermione laughed. "Easier than I remembered."

"How's it feel?" Harry asked her.

"Wonderful," Hermione said softly. "Thank you."

"I just returned it to its rightful owner," Harry said.

Hermione nodded thoughtfully, running her fingertips over the smooth wooden handle.

"You're not going to transfigure me into a ferret, are you?" Harry asked teasingly.

Hermione laughed. "Are you saying I look like Moody?"

Harry shook his head. "No absolutely not!"

"Good," she said with a grin. "Because I am handy with one of these."

"I know," Harry grinned back at her.

Hermione tucked it into her sleeve, just as she always had. "Shall we go back down? Billy's dying to see you."

Harry nodded. "Yeah. Me, too."

"He and Ron may already be trying to out eat each other," Hermione told him.

Harry laughed. "Kindred spirits.'

Hermione smiled and reached for his hand.

"I love you," Harry said squeezing her hand.

"I love you too," she said softly.

He gave her a kiss. "Let's go."

The two of them headed back downstairs. Harry grinned when he saw Billy sitting with Ron.

"You know, it's good that way," Ron was saying to Billy. "But, it's even better if you put the chocolate on top like this..."

"What are you teaching him?" Harry asked.

"The best way to make a banana split," Ron said.

Harry laughed. "Remember all those banana splits we made at your house during the summer hols?"

A dreamy expression came over Ron's face at the memory. "Yeah..."

"He has a one track mind," Harry told Billy. "Once you get him talking about food..."

Billy laughed. "I kind of got that."

"Did you order yet?" Harry asked him.

"We were waiting for you," Billy said.

"Oh," Harry replied. "Well I'm sure you all are starving."

"Just a little," Billy lied.

"What's your favourite kind of pizza?" Harry asked him. "We'll order it and split it between us."

"Pepperoni," Billy replied.

"Double?" Harry asked.

Billy grinned. "Of course."

"We'll get the large one," Harry said. "And if we don't finish it, Ron will."

Billy beamed at him. "Thanks, Harry."

Harry ruffled the young boy's hair. He couldn't believe how much coming here had changed his life. It not only brought Hermione back into it, but now he was adopting a son.

Bella called for Billy and the boy ran over to his best friend. Ron looked at Harry. "He's a good kid."

Harry nodded. "Yeah he is. I'm... I'm in the process of adopting him."

Ron gaped at him. "What?"

"I'm trying to adopt him," Harry said. "I just started the paperwork."

"You're serious about this, aren't you?" Ron asked.

Harry nodded.

"Wow," Ron said. "You've really settled down, haven't you?"

"Seems so," Harry replied. "I'm looking for a house for the two of us.... hopefully soon it'll be four."

"You think she's ready for that?" Ron said, inclining his head in Hermione's direction.

"Not yet," Harry shook his head. "I told her to take her time."

"She seems very happy tonight," Ron said as the two men looked at their best friend. She was dancing with Bella.

Harry smiled. "I hope she feels like she has a lot to be happy for."

"I think so," Ron said thoughtfully. "I'll go and order the pizza. You go and be with your family."

Harry grinned. "Will do. Thanks mate."

Harry walked over to the dance floor where Bella, Billy, and Hermione were dancing. "Room for one more?" Harry asked.

Bella giggled. "Okay!"

"Let's show them how it's done, Bella," Harry said picking the girl up and setting her feet on top of his.

"I can dance!" Bella said delightedly.

Harry grinned. "You're light on your feet, Miss Conaghan."

Hermione watched Harry dance with her daughter. It was something she'd always wished Damian would do.

"You're doing great, Bells," Billy encouraged.

"And now," Harry said dramatically. "The dip..."

"The what?" Bella asked.

Harry put his hand on the young girl's back and dipped her.

Bella giggled. "Harry!"

"Like that, did you?" he asked.

"That was the bestest part," Bella laughed.

Harry lifted her up. "Dancing with you is the bestest part," he kissed her cheek.

Bella hugged him tightly.

Harry hugged her back. "Are you having fun?"

Bella nodded. "Lots of fun. Did Mummy like her surprise?"

"Yes she did," Harry grinned. "And you did a good job of getting her up there."

"I did just what you told me," Bella said.

"Good job," Harry said affectionately.

Harry set her down. "How about you and I switch partners?"

"Okay," Bella replied.

Billy grinned at Bella. "How about we go and get some breadsticks instead?"

"I like that idea," Bella nodded. "Much better."

Hermione and Harry watched the two children head back to the table. "May I?" Harry asked offering her his hand.

"Sure," Hermione said softly.

Harry took her hand. He wasn't much of a dancer, but he didn't mind an excuse to hold her close.

He curved his arm around her waist, holding her close but not too much.

"You know," Hermione said softly. "I actually thought that you might ask me to dance that time during the Yule Ball."

"In fourth year?" Harry asked. "Man... I was so hung up on Cho during that ball I barely noticed anyone... but you."

Hermione blushed. "You didn't even know it was me when you first saw me."

"I didn't," he agreed. "But I remember when I did realise it... my jaw about dropped to the floor."

Hermione smiled up at him. "So all these years later, we finally get our dance."

"Took us long enough," Harry quipped.

Hermione laughed. "Well, it was worth the wait."

"Very much so," Harry looked over at the table and saw the pizza was there. "Hungry?"

"Starving," Hermione admitted. "Come on."

Harry let his hand wander to the small of her back as she walked ahead of him to the table.

Harry sat down beside Billy. "Alright?"

Billy nodded eagerly.

"Well, I know tomorrow's a Saturday and I was wondering if you might want to help me look at houses," Harry said to him.

"Houses?" Billy asked.

Harry nodded. "I figure if it's going to be your home too, you should have a say."

"Can we have a game room?" Billy asked hopefully.

"You know, I think that can be arranged," Harry replied with a grin.

"COOL!" Billy exclaimed.

Harry loaded a plate with two slices of pizza and handed it to Billy.

"Thanks," Billy said.

Hermione stood up. "I, um, just wanted to say something to all of you...."

Harry looked up at her.

"I can't thank you enough for the love and support you've all shown Bella and me," Hermione said looking around the table. "I shut all of you out, but you stood by me when I needed you most."

"Of course, love." Elinore said, her eyes bright.

"I feel like this is a new beginning for Bella and me," Hermione said. "And I'm glad that you've all gathered here with us tonight."

"Hear, hear." Ron said. "For some excellent pizza!"

Hermione laughed. "Ron---"

"And to celebrate," Ron said sheepishly when Luna nudged him.

"To Hermione and Bella!" Robert exclaimed lifting his glass.

Everyone echoed the toast and Bella turned red as Billy grinned at her.

"Here, here!" Ron exclaimed, reaching for his pizza.

Hermione sat back down. "What a day," she sighed.

"It's been a great day," Bella said happily.

"Yes it has, baby." Hermione said.

"Harry's taking me to look at houses," Billy said.

"He is?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "I've talked to an estate agent who recommended some places."

"We get to have a game room, Bells," Billy told her.

Bella smiled. "That's great, Billy!"

"It'll be so, so cool," Billy said taking a huge bite of his pizza.

"It's not going to be all fun and games," Harry reminded Billy. "You're going to have to do your homework and do chores..."

"What kinds of chores?" Billy asked.

"Keeping your room clean," Harry replied. "Things like that."

"I already have to do that," Billy said.

"But now you'll be doing it in your home and you'll have your own room," Bella said. "No roommates."

"Right," Billy nodded.

"The agent set up about four listings for us to take a look at," Harry told the group.

"Cool," Billy said.

Hermione watched as Harry told Billy more about the houses they'd be looking at tomorrow. She was so happy that he would be staying here.

She slipped her hand under the table and reached for his, squeezing it.

"Mummy, what are we going to do tomorrow?" Bella asked.

"I don't know, baby." Hermione said.

"Perhaps we could work in the garden," Elinore suggested.

"That sounds like fun," Bella said.

Hermione smiled. It sounded normal, which sounded perfect right now.

"We can meet up later if you want, for dinner," Harry said to her.

"Sure," Hermione said.

"I'll ring you when Billy and I are done," Harry told her.

Ron looked at Luna. "He should just ask her to move in with him and be done with it."

"I'm sure he's giving her some time to recover from what she's been through," Luna said softly.

Ron grinned. "He's being noble, you mean."

"Exactly," Luna smiled at him.

"Suppose that could work," Ron said thoughtfully.

"I'm sure when she's ready, they'll move forward," Luna replied.

"It's gotta be killing him though," Ron said looking at his friend.

"I think he's okay." Luna said. "Now that she's almost free from Damian..."

"What a piece of work that guy was, eh?" Ron asked reaching for another slice of pizza.

"He had such a bad aura," Luna replied.

"And what do you foresee for them?" Ron asked motioning to their friends.

"Happiness," she said softly.

"And for me?" Ron asked with a grin. "Do you see a big banana split in my future? Or at the very least a piece of chocolate cake?"

"Both," Luna replied.

Ron grinned. "I love you, Luna."

"Love you too," she said, pecking him on the lips.

The rest of the evening passed by all too quickly. The children were getting sleepy and Harry had promised to see Billy back to the orphanage.

"Are you sure you'll be okay without me there?" Harry asked Hermione. "Not that you wouldn't be..."

"I'll be fine," Hermione replied. "And now that I have my wand, I can set the wards on the house myself."

He smiled. "About time I use that hotel room I've been paying for."

Hermione smiled back at him. "You do want to get your money's worth."

He grinned. "Talk to you tomorrow. And you know I'll be there in a moment if I have to be."

Hermione hugged him. "I know."

"And good night to you, Miss Bella," Harry said to the young girl.

Bella yawned. "Good night, Harry."

Harry ruffled her hair affectionately. "Doughnuts in the morning?"

Bella perked up a little at this. "Please?"

"I'll bring a whole box of your favourites," he promised.

"Night, Billy," Bella said to her friend.

"Night Bells," Billy replied, yawning.

Harry picked up the boy. "Come on, you. Let's get you back to the school."

"Okay," Billy said sleepily.

Harry turned to look at Hermione once more. He couldn't wait for the day when they'd be going home together.

She smiled. "Thank you again, Harry. Especially for the wand."

"You're welcome," Harry said smiling back at her. He then mouthed to her "I love you."

"Love you," she mouthed back.

"Hermione, we should get Bella home," Elinore said to her daughter.

Hermione nodded and lifted her sleepy daughter into her arms.

Bella rested her head on Hermione's shoulder. "Love you, Mummy."

Hermione hugged her. "I love you too baby. Always."

Hermione thought about all that she had done to get through this---she'd nearly lost her daughter, the man she loved, and her life. But, she had all of those things now. It was all worth it because of the little girl in her arms right now. There was nothing Hermione wouldn't do for her.