Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

I am so sorry about not updating! I can blame the lack of 90210 making me forget it's a Tuesday, but it all comes down to me (Heaven) being a complete flake at times. Forgive me! This chapter is pretty action packed with one of our 'specialty' endings. Please review! And please remember- we have to take a bit of artistic license on things when writing a fanfic. It can't always be completely true to life. Thanks!

Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colours anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
With flowers and my love both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a new born baby it just happens every day
I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and it has been painted black
Maybe then Ill fade away and not have to face the facts
Its not easy facing up when your whole world is black

Hermione spent the day after her mother's visit trying to corner Harry to thank him, but it seemed they were both especially busy, working right through lunch and dinner. Several children had prospective adoptive parents show up, and Hermione had to be on hand to talk about the education they received at the orphanage.

Bella was in the rec room in the dorms playing with Billy. Hermione was glad her daughter didn't have to sit around while Hermione worked. She knew it meant the world for Bella to spend time with Billy.

Harry had been awfully quiet where Billy was concerned, especially when he'd come back from meeting the couple interested in him.

Hermione decided to stop off at his office before she left to collect Bella. She found him deep in thought at his desk. Hermione gently knocked on his door. "Hi..."

"Hi," he looked up and smiled at her.

"Busy day," Hermione commented.

"You aren't kidding," Harry ran his hand through his crazy hair.

"I spoke with the Carsons," Hermione told him. "The family that's interested in Billy."

"Oh?" Harry asked, busying himself again.

Hermione sat down. "Nothing's final, you know. If someone else wanted to petition for adoption, they could."

"It really just matters what Billy wants," Harry replied.

Hermione looked at him. "Harry, would you ever think about---"

"Think about what?" he interrupted.

"Adopting Billy," Hermione replied.

Harry looked up and stared at her for what felt like a long time, then looked away.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said hastily. "I overstepped my bounds."

Harry shook his head. "I don't know what kind of life I could give him."

"You can't travel around forever," Hermione tried to point out. "You could settle in London. Molly and Arthur would be all to willing to help you."

"I don't want anyone's help," Harry said.

"You know," Hermione said leaning forward in her chair. "When I got pregnant with Bella, I was scared to death. I didn't know how to be a mother. That's not really something you can learn from a book, not really. It's on the job training."

Harry studied her. "You were scared?"

Hermione laughed. "Absolutely. This little person is completely helpless and it's up to me to make sure that she's safe and warm and healthy. I didn't want to let her down. I second-guessed myself all the time and I didn't really have any support system to lean on."

Harry snorted. "I'm sure you didn't."

Hermione shot him a look. "The point is...you're not going to be perfect. It won't be easy, but I know how you are with him and I've seen how he is with you."

Harry shook his head again. "He's not any different with me than any other adult."

"You don't see it because you haven't known him as long," Hermione argued.

"I don't know," Harry began.

"It was just an idea," Hermione said reaching out and touching his hand.

"He's a great kid, Hermione." Harry said.

Hermione's brown eyes shined with admiration as she looked at him. "You're a great man."

"I'm not that great," Harry muttered.

"You are," Hermione said softly. "I still can't get over what you did for me yesterday. Seeing my mother after all this time; having her meet Bella. I can't begin to thank you for doing that."

Harry nodded. "Your mother was always important to you. I contacted her awhile back but I didn't know you hadn't seen her until she told me."

Hermione realised that she was still holding his hand. She knew she should pull away, but she just could not make herself do it. "I still can't get over the two of you being friendly with each other," Hermione admitted.

Harry sent her a half smile. "I think I'm forgiven for anything I've ever done because of last night."

Hermione grinned. "So your motives were purely selfish, eh?"

"I'd do anything to make you happy," Harry said sincerely.

"I can't seem to stay away from you," Hermione said softly. "I keep telling myself to put some distance between us, but I always find myself here."

Harry stood up. "I told you how I feel..."

"You love me," Hermione said, her eyes never leaving his.

"I have for a long, long time." Harry said. "I was just stupid not to tell you."

Hermione wanted to tell him he wasn't alone in his feelings. She felt the same way. "Sometimes, you can't say the things you most want to," she told him instead.

"You know you can tell me anything," Harry said intently.

"If things were different," Hermione said. "I could tell you how much having you around has meant to me. If things were different, I could tell you how I've never felt more myself than when I'm with you. I could tell you that I think about you all the time."

"It can be different," Harry insisted.

Hermione sadly shook her head.

"You don't have to stay with him," Harry told her.

"He's my husband and Bella's father," Hermione said looking away from him. "I took vows, Harry."

Harry sighed.

"This isn't fair to you," Hermione said. "I'm sorry."

Harry didn't answer, only sat down again.

"I wish we could turn back the clock," Hermione said softly.

"No you don't," Harry said. "Because if you'd married me, you wouldn't have Bella."

"There's something that I did that I regret more than anything," Hermione said looking away. "If I could change that, things could be different. But, I can't."

"You can change anything you want to change," Harry said. "But whether you WANT to or not... that's a different story."

Hermione shook her head. "I don't have a choice, Harry. My hands are tied!"

"I'm not going to get into it," he said. "You have to do what you want to do."

Hermione studied him for a few moments. She hated herself for putting him through this. It wasn't fair and yet here she was because she was too weak to stay away. "I should go. It's late and I'm sure Bella's tired."

Harry nodded. "Have a good night. I'll see you both in the morning."

"Will you think about what I said?" Hermione asked him. "About Billy?"

Harry nodded.

"Good night," Hermione said softly.

"Night," Harry answered quietly.

Hermione gave him one last look before she walked away. She felt as if her heart were breaking into a thousand pieces. She never wanted to hurt him. But, that's all she seemed to do these days.

She hurried down the corridor to the room where Bella was with Billy. "We need to get going, sweetheart," she said to her daughter.

"Mummy, Billy and I just started this game," Bella protested. "And I'm going to beat him this time."

"You'll have to continue it tomorrow," Hermione said.

Billy laughed at the look on Bella's face. "No worries, Bells. We can play tomorrow and I might even let you win this time."

"Thanks," Bella said wryly.

"Good night, Billy," Hermione told the boy.

"Night, Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. "Bye, Bells."

Bella gathered up her books and stuffed them in her bag. She took her mother's hand. "I drew this really great picture to send to Grandma Ellie."

Hermione smiled. "She will love it, whatever it is."

Bella beamed up at her mother. "Really?"

"Of course," Hermione told her.

Bella started telling her mother about all the things she had done that day.

Hermione listened, her ears especially alert when Bella mentioned Billy had enjoyed himself when his prospective adoptive parents had visited.

"Billy said that the Carsons have a puppy," Bella said.

"Oh?" Hermione asked.

Bella nodded. "I wish I could have a puppy."

Hermione wished her daughter could have a puppy too, but Damian had out ruled that long ago.

"How was your day, Mummy?" Bella asked.

"It was fine, baby." Hermione answered. "Just long."

Bella laughed. "Mummy every time I say that you tell me that there's the same hours in each day!"

Hermione laughed too. "I do, don't I?"

"You do," Bella giggled. "You're silly, Mummy."

"Not as silly as my girl," Hermione hugged her.

Bella's laugh was melodic as Hermione picked her up and spun her around.

"Can we have some ice cream after dinner tonight?" Bella asked as Hermione set her down.

"I don't see why not," Hermione answered as she fished for her keys.

"Sundaes," Bella said twirling in place as she waited for her mother to open the door.

"All right," Hermione agreed. "I like the sound of that."

Hermione finally retrieved her keys from the bottom of her purse and opened the door. "Tilly!" Bella shouted. "We're home!"

Instead of the maid greeting them, both Hermione and Bella were startled by a large figure bearing down on them.

"D-Daddy," Bella stammered.

"Damian!" Hermione fought to cover her surprise. "You... you're home..."

"As are you," Damian said icily. "Finally."

"I'm sorry," Hermione apologised. "We had a late night at the school."

"Go upstairs, Isabella," Damian said glaring at the little girl who cowered at her mother's side.

"Damian--" Hermione began.

Damian held up his hand. "I had a very trying day, Hermione. I come home, expecting to find my wife to welcome me and instead, I sit here ...all alone for hours. "

"If we had known--" Hermione started but Damian backhanded her.

Bella gasped as her mother stumbled.

"Go upstairs, sweetheart," Hermione managed to say. "Go upstairs and close your door."

Bella nodded, racing away to her room.

"Those bastards," Damian shook his head. "I was the best thing that ever happened to that hospital."

"Wha-- what happened?" Hermione managed.

Damian was not going to tell her that stupid bitch resident Cho Chang had turned him in for sexual harassment. The chief of surgery had bought Chang's story hook, line and sinker and hadn't even cared to hear Damian's side of the story. A couple of nurses had apparently backed up her story.

"They told me they didn't need me anymore," he spat instead. "Acted as if everything I'd done didn't even matter."

"Well I'm sure they didn't mean it that way, Damian." Hermione tried to appease him.

"As if you would know," Damian glared at her. "Don't you get it, Hermione? I'm never going to practise in the States. Something like this is going to follow me..."

"But if you helped--" Hermione tried.

Damian grabbed her by the arm. "Quit acting as if you care. I'm sure this pleases you to see me fail."

"Of course not," Hermione tried to pull away.

Damian's grip tightened. "Who were you with while I was away?"

"No one!" Hermione exclaimed. She could smell the alcohol on his breath.

"Potter?" Damian asked angrily.

"No!" Hermione lied. "Damian!"

Upstairs, Bella hugged her teddy bear to her, wishing she could do something. She jumped when she heard a crashing sound and her mother cry out in pain.

Though she was scared to death, she knew she couldn't just let her father get away with this.

She hurried back downstairs, determined to get him to leave her mother alone.

"Cheating bitch!" Bella winced as she heard her father shout at her mother.

She peered around the doorway as she saw her father pull back and hit Hermione again. Anger replaced her fear.

Bella stared at her father's back and felt the anger surge through her. Her hands started to shake as she balled them up into fists.

She was about to shout at him to leave them alone when a lamp flew from the other side of the room at his head.

"What the hell?" Damian asked.

The lamp smashed just above his head and he staggered as he turned and regarded his daughter. "You little brat..."

"L-leave her alone, Damian," Hermione stammered.

Damian nearly fell over as he threw the rest of his empty bottle at Hermione. "You stupid whore! This is all your fault!"

"G-go upstairs," Hermione managed. "P-please, Bella."

Without another word, Bella turned and tore up the stairs. She tore into her dresser, searching for the secret mobile Hermione had placed in her drawer a few weeks ago.

She heard her mother's voice in her head telling her how to dial the right numbers.

"Police," a female dispatcher's voice came over the line.

"Please help," Bella sniffed. "He's hurting my mummy!"

"Who is, sweetheart?" the dispatcher asked.

"He is," Bella wailed. "Please! You have to come!"

"We're sending someone right now," the dispatcher told her, but Bella had already hung up the phone. She saw a card on the table. "Harry..." Bella whispered dialling in the number.

She was afraid he wouldn't answer but after the fifth ring, he picked up. "Harry," she whimpered. "Help... please..."

"Bella?" Harry asked. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"He's hurting Mummy," Bella sobbed. "I'm scared!"

"Bella," Harry said trying to stay calm because of Bella. "I'll be right there. Okay? Everything...everything's going to be fine."

"I'm scared," Bella whispered, letting out a cry as she heard another crash downstairs.

"I'll be right there," Harry promised. He threw his phone down and Apparated just outside the Conaghan home.

He banged on the door. "Hermione!" he shouted.

Inside the house, Damian stood over an unconscious Hermione. "Stupid bitch," he spat.

He kicked his wife in the stomach before stumbling over to the bar and pouring himself another drink.

Harry kicked the door open. "Hermione!"

Damian tripped into the corridor. "What the fuck do you want?" he snarled.

Harry grabbed him by the collar and shoved him against the wall. "Where are Hermione and Bella?"

Damian shoved him back. "They're my family, not yours. Get the hell out of my house!"

Harry punched him in the nose, causing Damian to stumble. "Where. Is. She?"

Damian spat at him. "You son of a bitch. You'll pay for that."

Harry heard the sound of sirens approaching the house. "Not so tough, Conaghan? Hmm? When it's a fair fight?"

Damian regained his footing and shoved Harry, dropping his glass and shattering it on the floor.

Bella stood at the foot of the stairs. "Harry!"

Harry pushed Damian aside as the sirens stopped in front of the house. "Bella, where's your mum?"

Bella pointed a shaking finger in the direction of the sitting room.

Harry rushed past Damian and stopped short when he saw Hermione lying unconscious in the middle of the room. Anger like he hadn't known in years flowed through him, making the lights flicker and a wind blow through the room.

"What the hell?" Damian asked.

"What did you do to her, you bastard?" Harry asked through clenched teeth.

There was a pounding on the front door. "POLICE! OPEN UP!"

Damian ignored this as he rounded on Harry. "It's none of your business."

Harry shoved him. "This IS my business! Hermione's my best friend and you will NEVER touch her again!"

Two policemen hurried inside the house. "What seems to be the trouble here?"

Harry glared at Damian. "Tell them, Conaghan."

"Call for an ambulance," one of the policemen said when they noticed Hermione.

Bella ran to Harry, her face streaked with tears. "Is my mummy okay?"

Harry scooped her up and hugged her tightly. "She will be, sweetheart. And you were so brave."

"Let go of my daughter!" Damian yelled.

"You don't touch her," Harry snarled as Damian tried to pull Bella away.

"Did you do this to your wife, sir?" The policeman asked Damian.

"No," Damian lied. "I came home and saw him in here." he pointed at Harry.

"He's lying," Harry told the policeman. "Bella called me in hysterics because he was beating up Hermione. And it's not the first time he's done it, either."

The policeman looked at Bella. "Is this true, love?"

Bella buried her face in Harry's shoulder.

Harry patted her back in comforting fashion. "Its okay, Bella. You can tell them. I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"Isabella," Damian said coldly. "Come here."

Bella wrapped her arms tightly around Harry's neck. "Don't make me..." she whispered.

"You don't have to go anywhere," Harry reassured her. "Just tell them what you know, sweetheart."

Bella turned her head to look at the policeman. "My daddy...he...hurt Mummy."

"Is tonight the first time?" the policeman asked her.

"Isabella," Damian warned.

Bella shook her head. "He does it a lot."

The policeman nodded to his partner. "Read him his rights."

The paramedics arrived just as the policeman was leading Damian out of the house in handcuffs. Bella buried her face in Harry's shoulder again.

"Its okay, Bella," Harry told her. "You did the right thing."

Bella watched over Harry's shoulder as the paramedics gingerly lifted Hermione onto a stretcher.

Harry was stricken as he saw Hermione's face.

"Do you want to ride to hospital with us?" the paramedic asked Harry. "You and the little girl?"

Harry nodded. "Yes."

Bella sobbed into Harry's shoulder as he carried her out to the ambulance.

"Shhh..." Harry said distractedly as he watched them load the still unconscious form of his best friend into the ambulance.

Harry sat in the front seat with Bella in his lap. The girl refused to leave his side. Harry winced as he heard the other paramedic radioing back to the hospital the details of Hermione's injuries. "...broken ribs...broken arm..."

"Mummy's broken," Bella whispered.

"Your mummy is one of the strongest people I know," Harry said softly. "She's going to be okay." He could not get the image of Hermione's bloodied face out of his head.

Bella listened to the ambulance driver another moment. "What's a concus... concu... concussion?"

"It's an injury," Harry tried to explain. "It can happen when you hit your head against something..."

Bella's lower lip trembled dangerously.

"Hey," Harry said kissing the top of her head. "Your mummy is going to be fine. The doctors are going to help her and she's going to be so proud of her brave girl."

Bella nodded, staving off her tears as they arrived at the hospital.

"It's going to be okay," Harry promised her.

Bella only nodded, clinging onto him as they got out of the ambulance.

A doctor was waiting for them and they wheeled Hermione straightaway into the emergency room. A nurse directed Harry and Bella to the waiting room. Harry would have liked nothing more than to be with Hermione, but he knew she would want him here with Bella.

"Will you please let us know as soon as you find anything out?" Harry asked quietly.

"Of course," the nurse told him.

Harry sat down. "He didn't do anything to you, did he Bella?" he asked the young girl in his lap.

Bella shook her head. "He--he wasn't 's'posed to be home. He hit Mummy and she---she told me to go up to my room."

"Good," Harry said.

"What's going to happen to Daddy?" Bella asked.

"I don't know, Bella," Harry said.

Bella hugged Harry again.

"But I promise he'll never hurt you again," Harry said.

"Or Mummy?" Bella asked.

"Or your mother," Harry promised.

Nearly an hour later, there was still no word on Hermione's condition. Bella had fallen asleep in Harry's arms.

Harry sighed and was about to get up and ask when a woman approached him. "You're the one who came in with Hermione Conaghan, correct?"

"Yes," Harry replied.

"I'm with Child Protection Services," the woman replied. "I'm here about Isabella."

Harry looked down at the sleeping girl in his lap. "She's holding up okay. If you could come back tomorrow---"

The woman shook her head. "I have to take her with me."

Harry looked up at the woman in surprise. "No."

"I'm afraid so," the woman said, her voice a bit more firm.

"She's been through enough tonight," Harry tried to reason with the woman.

"I don't have a choice," the woman replied.

"Look, you could put her in the custody of her grandmother," Harry argued. "You can't---"

"She has to come with me, tonight." the woman said. "Its protocol and I'm afraid there's no room for argument."

Harry sighed. He gently tapped Bella on the arm. "Bella..."

Bella stirred drowsily.

"Sleeping Beauty," Harry said softly.

"Is my mummy okay?" Bella asked.

"I d-don't know," Harry replied. "But, um, this nice lady here is going to take you to a place where you can get some sleep and I'm going to come and see you tomorrow morning. I promise."

"I don't want to leave," Bella shook her head.

"I know," Harry said at a complete loss as to what to do.

"Don't make me leave," Bella's eyes filled with tears. "I want my mummy."

Harry again turned his gaze to the social worker. "Please."

"I have to," the woman looked regretful.

Tears streamed down Bella's face as the woman took her from Harry. "Harry!" Bella cried, reaching out for him. "Please!"

"I... I'm sorry," Harry said, his voice cracking. "I'll come see you in the morning, Bella. I promise."

The woman reached into her pocket with her free hand and gave Harry her card.

"Thank you," Harry said.

"Harry!" Bella cried in vain as the woman carried her out of the hospital.

Harry watched helplessly as Bella was taken away. In his whole life, he'd never felt more helpless.

"Mr. Potter?" a voice from behind him asked.

Harry turned. "Yes?"

"Mrs. Conaghan is awake," the doctor said.

Harry got to his feet. "She is? How is she?"

"She has a concussion, as well as several broken bones," the doctor said. "She's very lucky it wasn't more serious."

"Can I see her?" Harry asked.

The doctor nodded. "We need someone to keep her awake the rest of the night--"

"I'll do it," Harry volunteered.

"A nurse will be coming in to monitor every so often, but you'll need to keep her awake and lucid," the doctor led him to Hermione's room. "I'll also warn you now that her face is very badly bruised."

Harry nodded.

The doctor pushed open the door. "Mrs. Conaghan- we have someone to see you."

Harry stood in the doorway and felt a surge of anger toward Damian Conaghan as he took a battered and bruised Hermione.

Hermione, who had been looking hopefully at the doorway, turned so Harry couldn't see her face.

The doctor left them alone. Harry sat down on the chair beside the bed.

"I didn't know he'd be home," Hermione finally said in a choked voice.

Harry reached for her hand. "Shhhh...."

A tear leaked out of one swollen eye. "I put Bella in such a horrible situation."

Harry squeezed her hand. "Your little girl was so brave. She phoned the police and me from that hidden mobile."

Hermione let out a sob. "She's so smart."

"She takes after her mother," Harry said softly.

"I'm not brave," Hermione muttered.

"You are," Harry said. "You are."

"No I'm not," Hermione said. "Or I'd have left Damian a long time ago."

"Hermione, why did you stay?" Harry asked gently. "Please tell me. Help me understand."

"I can't," Hermione said.

"He's in jail," Harry told her. "There's nothing he can do."

"It's not what he did," Hermione said. "It's what I've done."

"What did you do?" Harry asked, stroking her hand.

Hermione closed her eyes as she fought back tears.

"I signed something," Hermione finally said.

"You signed what?" Harry asked softly.

"Before," Hermione replied. "Before we were married, Damian had me sign a prenuptial agreement."

"So?" Harry asked. "Hermione if you're worried about money--"

Hermione shook her head and winced in pain.

"Shhh..." Harry said. "Don't stress yourself."

"He swept me off my feet," Hermione told him. She knew if she did not tell Harry the truth now, she'd never tell him. "Before the wedding, he had these papers drawn up and I just signed. I signed without looking at what I was signing."

"What was it?" Harry squeezed her hand gently.

Hermione exhaled. "If our marriage ended for any reason, he would have rights to everything---money, property, and...and any children we would have. I would get absolutely nothing."

Harry stared at her wordlessly.

"I tried to find a way out of it," Hermione said as a tear fell down her cheek. "I tried, but there was nothing. He thought of every single loophole and he---he threatened to expose my father..."

"What about your father?" Harry asked.

"He had some financial troubles," Hermione told Harry. "Damian's father bailed him out and Damian threatened to ruin my father."

Harry shook his head.

"Every single time I tried to get out, he'd throw it up in my face," Hermione said quietly.

"I'd like to throttle him," Harry said angrily.

"I-I thought he was going to kill me tonight," Hermione said, her brown eyes locking on Harry's.

"If he had, I'd have killed him too," Harry said furiously.

Hermione squeezed his hand. "Harry..."

"I'm not leaving you again," Harry told her. "I don't care what it takes; we'll find you a way out of this."

Hermione thought that would be hopeless, but she was tired to sitting back and taking whatever Damian had to dish out. She wanted to be brave for her daughter. It was time to fight back.

"I won't leave you," Harry promised intently.

Hermione started to cry and Harry leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"I've messed up," Hermione sobbed.

"This isn't your fault," Harry said fervently. "He took advantage of you and your family. But, those days are over."

"How can you stick by me after what I've done?" Hermione asked.

"I love you," Harry said.

Hermione wiped at her eyes. "Harry... where's Bella? I need to see her."

"She's fine," Harry replied. "You can see her tomorrow."

"Where is she?" Hermione asked.

Harry looked down. "Child Protective Services has her."

"What?" Hermione gasped.

"The police must have called them in," Harry said thoughtfully. "The woman said it was protocol. I'm going to get her out of there tomorrow. Perhaps, I can have her stay with your parents until you're out of here."

Hermione pulled her hand away from Harry and buried her face in her palms.

"Hermione, she's okay," Harry tried to reassure her.

"No," Hermione said. "Harry- the people and places they put these children in... they're deplorable!"

"I'll go to London and get your mother," Harry said hastily. "I'll have her take Bella out of there. Hermione, I'm so sorry. I didn't know--"

"You have to get her out!" Hermione said shrilly.

"I will," Harry promised.

"Go!" Hermione said.

Harry nodded. "I'll have a nurse sit with you."

Hermione felt like her whole world was falling apart and barely heard Harry.

"Bella," Hermione whispered.

Hermione had seen firsthand what the hovels they put CPS retrieved children in and it nearly killed her to think of her daughter sleeping there that night.

Hermione hoped that Harry would be able to take Bella out of there. He had to find a way.

Harry left the hospital after giving the nurse's station his mobile number with instructions to call if he was needed.

He didn't know what time it was and he didn't care. The only thing that mattered was bringing Elinore Granger here so she could claim custody of Bella for the night.

Harry Apparated to London and made his way to the Granger residence.

Elinore was just getting ready for bed when she heard the doorbell downstairs. Robert wasn't due back home for another couple of days.

"Who's there?" she called cautiously.

"It's Harry," he called back. "I need to talk to you- it's urgent!"

Elinore opened the door. "Harry? What on earth?"

"He beat her up again," Harry said in a rush. "He's in jail, but Bella's in child protective services."

"What?" Elinore asked in alarm.

"Hermione wants us to get her out of there," Harry explained quickly. "I need your help."

"Of course," Elinore replied. "I'll do anything."

"Thank you," Harry said. "I'll Apparate us there."

Elinore barely heard him. She wanted to see that her daughter and granddaughter were okay.

"I have to make sure that bastard stays in jail," Harry said as Elinore went for a coat.

Elinore turned. "He didn't hurt Isabella did he?"

Harry shook his head. "If he had laid a finger on her..."

Elinore grabbed her bag. "Let's go."

Harry Apparated them back just outside the hospital. He had no idea where to even begin to get Bella.

He pulled the card from his pocket. "Lucky for us, the CPS is just down the street here."

"Good," Elinore said tersely. "I want to get to Hermione as soon as possible."

Harry nodded and led the way down the street. He kept looking at the card hoping that the social worker would prove sympathetic.

They arrived at the office and were dismayed to see the hours posted on the door clearly stating they were long closed.

"There's a button here," Elinore said. "For emergencies..."

Harry pressed it and held it for a long moment. He waited a split second before pressing it again.

A harried looking woman opened the door. "Yes?"

"We're here to pick up Isabella Conaghan," Harry said. "She was just brought in here, but I have her grandmother."

"Sir," the woman started to shake her head.

"I have the permission of her mother to take her for the night," Elinore interjected. "Please."

"There are rules, miss," the woman told her. "I'm afraid I can't---"

"Just get her for us," Harry said impatiently.

"Please," Elinore begged. "She's been through a lot tonight. She needs to be somewhere with people who love her."

The woman looked thoughtfully at Elinore. "I need to check with my supervisor. Wait here."

The woman closed the door and Elinore exhaled.

"I'll break her out of there myself if I have to," Harry said remembering the urgency in Hermione's voice. "I should have never let them take her...'

"You didn't know," Elinore replied. "I'm just glad you were there, Harry."

"If the police hadn't arrived when they did, I would have killed him," Harry told her.

"If we had only known," Elinore shook her head. "If we had known what he'd do... we would never have encouraged the relationship."

Harry put his hand on her shoulder. "No one knew, but that's changing now. He's going to pay for what he did."

Elinore nodded as she saw the woman come back down.

"We can release Isabella into your custody, Dr. Granger," the woman replied.

"Thank you," Elinore said in relief. "Thank you so much."

"Can we go upstairs and get her?" Harry asked.

"She can," the woman motioned to Elinore. "I'm afraid we can't allow you in..."

"Of course," Harry said. "I'll wait down here."

Upstairs, in her small bed, Bella cried. She couldn't sleep without her teddy bear and she couldn't sleep because she was worried about her mother.

Just then, the door cracked open and Bella saw one person she least expected to see. "Grandma?" she asked in a tiny voice.

"Hello, sweetheart," Elinore said opening her arms.

Bella pushed back the rough covers and hurried to her. "Where's mummy?"

"I'm going to take you to see her," Elinore hugged Bella tightly. "Right now."

Bella clung to her as Elinore carried her out where Harry was waiting.

"Hey you," Harry said smiling at the little girl. "I know someone who is eager to see you."

Bella's eyes filled with tears. "I want my mummy," she said softly.

Harry took Bella from Elinore. "Let's go."

They hurried down the street to the hospital. "We have to keep Hermione awake tonight. I wouldn't have left if she hadn't wanted me to get Bella out."

Elinore nodded. "I can help with that."

She had to step quickly to keep up with Harry's pace as he led them into the hospital to Hermione's room.

Hermione felt tears welling up in her eyes when she saw her daughter in Harry's arms. "Baby..."

"Mummy," Bella squirmed.

Harry set Bella down and the little girl ran to her mother's bedside.

It hurt terribly to hug her daughter but Hermione didn't care. "Are you okay baby?" she asked.

Bella nodded. "Are you okay, Mummy?"

"I will be, sweetheart," Hermione said.

Elinore started to cry and Harry put an arm around her for support.

"Mum," Hermione noticed her own mother for the first time. "What-- why..."

"They released Bella into my custody," Elinore explained, wiping at her eyes. "Thanks to Harry."

"Thank you," Hermione said, her eyes meeting Harry's.

Bella leaned over and kissed her mother's bruised cheek. "Kiss to make it better," Bella whispered.

"That's right baby," Hermione moved her hand to take Bella's.

"Sweetheart, are you in pain?" Elinore asked.

"A little," Hermione lied.

Harry knew Hermione wasn't telling the truth for Bella's benefit. He wished there was something he could do to ease her pain. His mind wandered to Damian Conaghan and the many ways he could make him pay. Chances were, the doctor would be out on bail by tomorrow. Harry wasn't going to let him anywhere near Hermione or Bella.

*** *** ***

Hermione watched as her mother and Harry left with Bella in tow for the hospital cafeteria. They had stayed up with her all night and she'd been checked over by the doctor who told her she could finally sleep without danger of her concussion.

Hermione was exhausted both mentally and physically. She had no idea what she must look like. One of her eyes was still swollen and it hurt when she smiled or frowned.

Hermione managed to turn onto her side and closed her eyes to try and get some sleep. She was mentally and physically exhausted.

For the first time in years, she felt free. It was a strange, but empowering feeling.

Hermione smiled- albeit strangely, given her swollen jaw- and pulled the covers over herself. She was almost asleep when she heard the one voice she never wanted to hear again.

"Hello, sweetheart," Damian Conaghan's cold voice called out to her from the doorway.

Hermione froze, her blood running cold.

"Surprised to see me?" Damian asked shutting the door behind him.

Hermione trembled in terror. She grasped for the call button but he snatched it away.

"My attorney posted my bail," Damian told her. "I bet you didn't think that would happen, did you?"

"Damian--" Hermione began.

Damian held up his hand. "In the past two days, I've been sacked, arrested and humiliated. This is my bloody hospital, Hermione! Do you have any idea what they're going to say about you're being here?"

"It's not like I asked to come here," Hermione retorted.

"You need to drop the charges," Damian warned her.

Hermione summoned up her courage. "No."

Damian stepped closer. "You know what happens when you tell me 'no'."

"You can't do this to me, Damian." Hermione pointed to her face.

"And I'm not going to let you ruin my career," Damian said reaching out and touching her cheek. "Your bruises will heal. They always do."

"The ones on the outside," Hermione pulled away.

"Where's your protector, eh?" Damian asked. "The great wizard?"

"I haven't done magic in years," Hermione's voice shook. "And he--"

"What a pair the two of you are," Damian laughed. "Freaks."

"Go away, Damian," Hermione fought to stay strong. "I'm not dropping the charges."

Damian grabbed her by the arm. Hermione cried out in pain. "You listen to me and you listen well. You're going to drop the charges or you'll never see Isabella again."

"Let me go!" Hermione winced.

Damian leaned in and kissed her hard on the lips.

Just outside Hermione's room, Harry was rethinking his decision to come back up here. He knew Hermione was getting some much needed rest, but he didn't want to leave her alone.

He was surprised to see her door was closed and even more surprised to discover it locked. "Hermione!" he knocked.

"Harry!" Hermione called out.

"Shut the hell up!" Damian shouted backhanding Hermione.

"Harry!" Hermione sobbed. "Help me!"

Harry waved his hand in front of the door. The door swung open and Harry saw red when he spotted Damian leaning over Hermione.