Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Sorry for the late update, guys- but PK was down last night when I went to put the chapter up and this is the first time I've been near my computer all day. Hope the longevity of the chapter makes up for it!

We left you off on a little cliffhanger again, and after this, things do progress a little faster. Just stick with us, things are heating up here for our main characters!

Throwing it All Away - Genesis

Need I say I love you
Need I say I care
Need I say that emotions,
Something we dont share
I dont want to be sitting here
Trying to deceive you
Cos you know I know baby
That I dont wanna go.

Cho Chang drained her second cup of coffee as she looked bleary-eyed at the charts. She had been at this for nearly three hours and she had barely made any headway. She tried to remind herself that this was what all great doctors had to go through. The grunt work would be over soon enough and she'd be the one bossing interns around.

As it was, things were rough enough around her with that arse Damian Conaghan around. She had found out he'd done a case study on St. Louis encephalitis and brought him over but the bloke had done absolutely nothing but flirt with nurses since he'd arrived.

She didn't hear the door open as she tried to clear her mind of everything else but her work.

"There you are," Damian Conaghan said smoothly.

Cho groaned. "Speak of the devil," she muttered under her breath.

"I've been looking everywhere for you," Damian said, closing the door behind him.

"You found me," Cho said sarcastically.

"What are you working on?" he asked.

"Charts for Dr. Morgenstern," Cho replied briskly, hoping he'd get the hint.

"All work and no play..." Damian shook his head. "A beautiful woman like yourself should get out more."

"My boyfriend and I get out enough," Cho said.

"I haven't seen you with any other blokes." Damian said.

Cho rolled her eyes. "Well, that's because he doesn't work here. Unlike some people, I don't believe in mixing business with pleasure."

"That's such a shame," Damian replied. "I know too many people like that."

"Like your wife?" Cho asked.

Damian smiled tightly but didn't say a word.

Cho turned back around to concentrate on her charts.

"So what does this bloke of yours do?" Damian asked sitting down.

"He's a chef," Cho answered curtly.

"A chef?" Damian laughed. "You can do better than that..."

Cho glared at him. "As if it's any of your business, he just opened his own restaurant. I'm very proud of him."

"That's nothing compared to doing what we do," Damian leaned forward.

"I'm really busy," Cho said uncomfortably. She didn't like the look in his eyes.

"I could help you then we could get out of here for a bit," Damian said flirtatiously.

"I don't need any help," Cho replied, starting to gather up the charts. "In fact, I think I'll take these to the cafeteria and work on them there."

"It's much quieter in here," he said standing up.

"Dr. Conaghan," Cho protested.

"I always worked better when it's quieter," he said.

"I'm sure you have better things to do with your time than help me with charts," Cho said.

"Nonsense," he replied. "I'm always willing to help someone in need."

"I'm sure you can find a nurse in need," Cho said hugging the charts to her. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

Damian was forced to step aside as Cho pushed past him.

Cho shuddered as she felt his eyes on her. This man made her skin crawl. She felt sorry for Hermione Granger for having to put up with him, but Cho didn't think she could take this for very much longer.

The thought of him neglecting the reason they were paying him to stay here for made her angry and she dropped the rest of her charts off at the nurse's station and headed for the chief of staff's office, hoping he would still be there. It was time to have a chat with him about Damian Conaghan.

In the on-call room, Damian sighed. That Cho Chang was feisty, but he certainly loved a challenge. She'd be begging for it by the time he was finished with her. He reached for his mobile phone and dialled his home number in Johannesburg.

"Conaghan residence," Tilly's voice came over the line.

"I want to speak to Hermione," he commanded. "Put her on."

"She's helping Isabella with her school work, sir," Tilly told him.

"Put. Her. On. The. Line." Damian snapped.

"Yes, sir," Tilly said quickly.

"Madame?" Tilly knocked on the door. "It's Mr. Conaghan on the phone for you."

Hermione sighed. "Bella, I'll be right back."

"Yes Mummy," Bella said.

Hermione walked into the hall and picked up the telephone. "Damian? Hello."

"What took you so long?" Damian barked.

"I'm not a dog," Hermione snapped back before she could stop herself.

"Don't you speak to me that way," Damian said coldly. "Or you'll regret it when I get home."

"I'm sorry," Hermione said quickly. "How--how are things at the hospital?"

"Fine," Damian replied. "I should still be here a few more weeks."

Hermione smiled. "That's great, Damian. I'm so glad that things are working out for you."

"For us, Hermione. We'll be moving over here soon as I make a name for myself." he said.

Hermione could not imagine leaving Johannesburg. It was the only home Bella had ever really known. Despite her unhappiness with Damian, Hermione loved being here and working at the school.

"That sounds great," Hermione said, hoping she sounded convincing. "I'm---I'm really proud of you."

"Of course you are," Damian said brusquely. "What else is going on at home?"

"Tilly and I worked in the garden today," Hermione told him. "You know, we've just been enjoying the weekend."

"Don't track any dirt in the house," Damian told her. "It's disgusting enough you keep your hands in all that."

Hermione sighed. Nothing she did was ever right as far as he was concerned. "You didn't seem to have a problem when you had me join that gardening club with your colleagues' wives."

"Because you weren't tracking that shit in the house, Hermione." Damian said as if she were twelve.

"Yes," Hermione said through her teeth. "You're absolutely right."

Damian sighted. "I usually am, especially where you're concerned."

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" Hermione asked.

"I told you not to take that tone with me," he said angrily. "Damn it, Hermione. Just because I'm over in America doesn't mean--"

"You're right, of course," Hermione interjected. "I just---miss you." Saying the words made her stomach turn. Hermione would have been more than happy for him to extend his stay.

That was more like it, Damian thought. "Well when I do get home, we'll celebrate my new job."

"I can't wait," Hermione lied. She was still seething when she hung up the phone. He was unbelievable.

Her hatred was growing every day, and the longer he was gone, the happier she felt. Having Harry around felt like no time had passed. But she kept him at arms length, especially since sharing that kiss.

That kiss, Hermione thought. She had never been kissed like that.

He had been so considerate and sweet, not hard and demanding like Damian always was.

"Mummy?" Bella called out.

Hermione broke out of her reverie. "Yes love?" she called.

"I'm kind of sleepy," Bella said. "Is it okay if I go ahead and go to bed? I finished all my problems."

Hermione nodded coming into her daughter's bedroom. "It's the weekend anyway. You had a big day helping Tilly and me, didn't you?"

Bella nodded. "Yeah."

"Did you have fun?" Hermione asked.

Bella nodded as she slid under her covers. "I can't wait until Monday though. I want to hear how Billy's flight with Harry was."

"I'm sure they had a great time," Hermione kissed her daughter's forehead.

"He was really excited," Bella said softly.

"Harry likes him," Hermione replied.

Bella smiled. "I know."

"He likes you too," Hermione smiled back at her.

Bella beamed. "You really think so?"

"Absolutely," Hermione replied.

Bella hugged her mother. "He likes you too."

"We're friends," Hermione smoothed back Bella's unruly hair.

"And you've known him like forever?" Bella asked.

"For awhile, yes." Hermione told her.

"Were you always friends?" Bella asked curiously.

Hermione nodded. "Pretty much, yes."

"Did you ever go out on a date?" Bella asked grinning at her mother.

"What?" Hermione asked. "No... no of course not!"

"Why not?" Bella asked. "He's hot, isn't he?"

Hermione looked at her daughter. "Isabella Conaghan, where on earth did you hear something like that?"

Bella giggled. "The older girls at school say it all the time!"

"Honestly," Hermione shook her head. "They shouldn't say things like that."

Bella giggled. "You do, don't you, Mummy?"

"That is not proper talk for a girl your age," Hermione chastised.

"Yes, Mummy," Bella said picking up her teddy bear and hugging it to her.

"We'll make pancakes tomorrow morning," Hermione said. "From scratch- just the two of us."

Bella grinned. "Blueberry ones?"

"If that's what you like," Hermione nodded.

"I would," Bella said giving her mother a hug. "Good night, Mummy."

"Night baby." Hermione said. "I love you."

"Love you too," Bella said smiling sweetly at her mother. "Bigger than all the stars and the sky."

"And the universe," they said together, laughing.

Hermione turned off the light and left the door slightly ajar. She was going to go downstairs and read for a bit when Tilly stopped her in the corridor.

"Mrs. Conaghan?" Tilly asked. "You have a guest downstairs."

"I do?" Hermione asked in surprise.

"Mr. Potter, miss," Tilly replied. "He's in the sitting room."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you Tilly. Good night."

"Good night," Tilly replied.

Hermione headed downstairs, strengthening her resolve to keep Harry at a proper distance with each step.

He was sitting on the sofa with his back to her.

"Hello, Harry." she said quietly.

Harry stood up and smiled at her and she felt her resolve weakening.

"Hi," Harry said. "I know it's late..."

"I was just about to go to bed," Hermione said, her eyes skipping away.

"I had to see you," Harry said. "I had the best day today. Billy---you should have seen him on the plane, Hermione."

Despite herself, Hermione smiled. "Was he excited?"

"Was he excited?" Harry asked with a laugh. "When I picked him up at the school, he told me he hadn't slept at all the night before."

Hermione shook her head. "He's a good kid."

Harry told her all about the day with Billy. How they'd met Harry's friend at the Johannesburg airport and how they'd toured the surroundings.

"I got him a camera," Harry said. "He took about a hundred photos, I think."

"You bought him a camera?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I thought he'd want to remember the day."

"That was really nice..." Hermione said.

"We had the best time," Harry said. "You should have seen the look on his face when we went up. I've never seen a look like that...pure joy."

Hermione had to smile. "What else did you do up there?"

"Guy stuff," Harry grinned. "Nothing you'd understand, girly girl."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Yeah sure."

Harry laughed. "Before I took him back to the school, we had a hamburger and chips. He can eat just about as much as Ron."

"I'm glad you two had a good day," Hermione replied.

"How about you?" Harry asked. "How's your weekend been? How's Bella?"

"She's sleeping," Hermione said.

"I hate that I missed her," Harry said wistfully.

"We've been working in the garden all day," Hermione said.

"Like you used to do with your mum," Harry remembered.

"Yeah..." Hermione felt a pang in her stomach. She missed her parents so much.

"She misses you too," Harry said, reading her thoughts.

Hermione shook her head. "Harry... don't meddle."

She turned away from him and Harry put his hand on her shoulder. "It's not my place. I know. I just---I want you to be happy."

"I'm fine," Hermione said. "Really."

He was standing so close to her, she could feel his breath on her neck.

"I'm going to bed," Hermione said. "I'll see you at the school in the morning."

"Don't," Harry said softly.

"No," Hermione shook her head. "You don't."

"You can't tell me you haven't thought about the other day in my office," Harry said, his hand still on her shoulder.

"That's not here nor there," Hermione said. "It'll never go further than that."

"I love you," Harry said, wishing she'd turn around and look at him.

"Stop," Hermione said. "I already told you, I can't do this."

"You want this as much as I do," Harry said softly, turning her around to face him.

"No I don't," she lied.

"You're a horrible liar," Harry said. "You always have been."

"It doesn't matter," Hermione said. "You shouldn't be here, Harry."

"No one saw me," Harry reassured her. "I Apparated on your doorstep."

"I don't care," Hermione said. "You should go."

Harry leaned in. "Is that really what you want?"

"Yes," Hermione folded her arms.

"I guess this is good night then," Harry said letting go of her. He wanted nothing more than to hold on and never let go, but she had apparently dug her heels in and wasn't going to budge.

Hermione nodded. "Good night. I'm glad you had fun today with Billy."

"I did," Harry said quietly. "And you know the only person I wanted to share it with was you. That's why I came here."

Hermione bit her lower lip.

"But don't worry," Harry said. "I won't bother you again. You've made yourself perfectly clear."

"Harry--" she began but with a crack he'd already Apparated away.

"Damn it," Hermione said sinking down onto the sofa.

"Everything all right, Madame?" Tilly asked.

Hermione shook her head. "No, not really."

"Is there anything I can do?" Tilly offered.

"No," Hermione said looking down at the carpet. "There's nothing anyone can do."

"I'll just be off then, Madame." Tilly said.

Hermione waited until she was alone before she let the tears fall.

Miles away in Scotland, Luna Lovegood was trying to make a snack for Ron. He'd snuck down here to her room and they'd spent the entire evening together. "Do you want cheese, too, Ronald?" Luna asked looking over at him. He was lying back in bed with a smug, satisfied smile on his face.

"On you?" he asked licentiously.

Luna giggled. "Maybe..."

"I definitely want that," Ron replied.

Luna was just bringing the plate over to the bed when a loud knock startled them both.

"Who the hell could that be?" Ron asked, sitting up.

"It might be Professor Snape," Luna said. "And you're not supposed to be in here, Ronald."

"Damn it," Ron swore. "Let me hide..."

The knocking persisted and Luna grabbed her dressing gown while Ron hid in her small closet. He yelped when a wire hanger dug into his back. "Ouch!"

"Ronald," Luna chastised. "Shhh...."

"Hello?" they heard a familiar voice. "Luna? Ron?"

Luna sighed in relief. She knew that voice and it was not Severus Snape's. She opened the door and smiled at Harry. "Come on inside, Harry. This is a nice surprise."

"Hi," Harry said. "Sorry, I know it's late..."

Luna stepped back so could enter the room. She closed the door behind him. "Nonsense. You're always welcome here. You know that."

Ron had a sour look on his face. "We were sort of busy..."

"What are you doing in there?" Harry asked as Ron stumbled out of the closet.

"We thought you were Snape," Ron said, grabbing his sandwich.

"Ronald isn't supposed to be here," Luna explained. "There are strict rules about professors fraternising. I think it's a lot of rubbish, actually."

"I'll say," Harry replied. "That's almost as bad as when we were students."

"I wouldn't know," Luna said thoughtfully. "No one really wanted to fraternise with me."

"They didn't know what they were missing out on," Harry said. "At least Ron wised up."

Luna beamed at him. "Thank you, Harry."

Harry sat down in a chair as Ron wolfed down his sandwich.

"How are things with Hermione?" Luna asked. Harry flinched at the mention of her name. "Oh, Harry. I'm sorry. That bad?"

"She's all messed up," Harry said. "I can tell she has feelings for me... but she won't even acknowledge them."

Ron nodded sagely. "That's the way she was with me. She fancied me for years and never did anything about it."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Not helping, Ron."

"Something happened between the two of you?" Luna asked.

"We kissed," Harry said. "In my office... but she's been pretty much avoiding me ever since."

Luna smiled. "I bet it was romantic, wasn't it?"

"In the office?" Ron asked sceptically.

"We were fighting actually," Harry recalled. "She was driving me mad. I just grabbed her and kissed her."

"Wow," Ron said. "Way to go, mate."

Harry sighed. "I pushed her too far too soon. She's still hung up on me leaving her and she's staying loyal to that bastard."

"Why?" Luna asked.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Harry replied morosely.

"Nev's not found out anything about him then?" Ron asked.

"He hasn't gotten back to me," Harry told him.

"He's working really hard to find a lead," Luna said.

Harry shrugged. "Doesn't really matter. She'll probably still stick by him."

"You're giving up?" Luna asked.

"I don't know what else I can do," Harry said.

"You waited too bloody long," Ron said bluntly. "That's your problem. I mean, you've loved her for how long? And you never got around to telling her until after she was married to that wanker, Harry."

"She disappeared, Ron!" Harry exclaimed.

"That's right," Ron retorted. "She left us. Not a word, not a call, not a letter...for years."

"Ronald," Luna said. "She was upset that you two left without her."

"I didn't realise how much we'd hurt her," Harry said shaking his head.

"I think she overreacted," Ron said.

"Ronald," Luna said looking at him. "How would you have felt if you'd woken up that morning to find Harry and Hermione had left YOU behind?"

"I'd have been pissed but I wouldn't have run off," Ron said.

"I thought she'd be there if I made it out," Harry said. "I just wanted to know that if I died, she'd be safe. That was the most important thing to me."

"She didn't see it that way," Luna tried to explain. "I didn't know her all too well, but I'm sure she felt abandoned."

"By the two most important people in her life," Harry said. "But I can't do anything about that, Luna. I can't. I can't change what I did and it doesn't seem like she's going to get over it anytime soon. I've tried everything I can do to get through to her, but she's not budging. How many times am I supposed to go up against a brick wall?"

"Just go tell her what's what." Ron said. "Tell her she needs to leave that twat and go with you."

"Oh, is that all?" Harry asked sarcastically.

Ron shrugged. "If she's used to being ordered around--"

"That's not funny, Ronald," Luna said putting her hand on his arm.

"Really isn't funny," Harry glared at him. "Hermione's in trouble, Ron. And there's nothing I can say to make her realise it."

"Can't you report him?" Ron asked. "If he's hitting her---"

"She won't admit to it," Harry said. "If she won't tell anyone, they can't arrest him."

"But the little girl, she told you, didn't she?" Luna asked.

"She said something once, but she'd have to tell again... and I don't know if she would." Harry shook his head and raked his fingers through his hair.

"If he's hurt them once, he'll do it again," Luna said. "You can't just stand back, Harry. You never have where Hermione's concerned."

"But what else can I do?" Harry asked. "She practically kicked me out tonight."

"Be her friend," Luna said softly. "Let her know that if she needs anything, you'll be there."

"I still say you should go in and tell her what she needs," Ron replied. "If she's as smart as we all always thought she was, she'll listen."

"Not this time," Harry said, shaking his head. "I just wish---I don't know what I wish."

"Perhaps you need to sit back and figure it out then." Ron said.

"Well said," Luna said smiling at her boyfriend.

"For once, I think you said something right," Harry replied.

"I get one every now and then," Ron said. "Loony, do we have any more of those biscuits?"

"I'm sure we do," Luna got up to rummage in her drawers.

"You're lucky," Harry said to his best friend.

"I know," Ron smiled as his eyes rested on his girlfriend.

"I don't know how much longer I can do this," Harry said honestly.

"You'll work things out," Luna handed Ron the biscuits and sat back down. "You always have, Harry."

"If he lays another hand on her, I swear I'll kill him myself," Harry said, his fists clenching.

"That wouldn't solve anything," Luna said softly. "But you should probably keep your eyes and ears open. Your opportunity will show up."

Harry nodded. "Thanks, Luna."

"Anytime, Harry." Luna said.

Harry gave her a hug. "You are the best."

"That's my line," Ron said with his mouth full.

"It's okay," Luna grinned at the two of them. "You can both think I'm the best. I rather like that, actually."

"I'll let you two get back to it," Harry said. "Thanks for hearing me out."

"What are you going to do now?" Ron asked.

"I'm going to stay in London until Monday morning," Harry replied. "I just need to think things through and I can't do that there. And I need to check in with Nev."

"Cool," Ron nodded.

Harry shook his best friend's hand before he left. He promised to check in with them before he returned to South Africa. Luna sat back down beside Ron. "You know, you could also try and talk to her," she said to him. "She's your best friend, too."

Ron shook his head. "I don't know if I could talk to her without losing it."

"This can't have been easy for her," Luna said, reaching for his hand. "And I know you've missed her, too."

Ron shrugged.

"Maybe I could try," Luna said thoughtfully.

"She's stubborn," Ron told her.

"So were you," Luna nudged him. "But I finally wore you down."

Ron smiled at her. "You sure did."

Luna gave him a kiss. "You taste like chocolate chips, Ronald."

"So do you now," Ron said, pushing the biscuits aside and pulling her over.

"Ronald!" Luna squealed.

He laughed. "You know you like this.

"Maybe a little," Luna said grinning at him.

"I am lucky to have you," Ron told her. "I know sometimes I make a mess of things... but not with you."

"You're perfect to me," Luna said softly.

"And you're perfect to me too," Ron told her.

Luna touched his cheek. "So...are you ready to break the rules again?"

"With you?" Ron asked. "Always."

Luna grinned and used her wand to dim the lights.

Harry, meanwhile, was still walking around the grounds. It was quiet and way past curfew so he pretty much was alone with his thoughts as he walked the familiar corridors. This place held so many memories for him---good and bad.

He wished there were a way for him to go back up to Gryffindor's common room- or to Hermione's old Head Girl room. If he could go back to that night and tell her his feelings, he'd have done it now.

He wondered if she ever thought back to her time here. He knew that at one time, this place had meant the world to her.

His thoughts strayed to Bella. He wondered if she possessed any magical powers, and if she did, if the little girl would come to Hogwarts.

He smiled as he thought of an 11-year old Bella walking these halls.

Damian Conaghan didn't know what a great family he had. That in itself made the other bloke a complete wanker.

Cho had called him a couple of days ago with updates on the good doctor's behaviour in the states. According to Cho, he seemed more interested in flirting with the nurses than in the case he'd been "called in" for.

It didn't surprise him at all. The one time he'd met the other man he pegged him for a roving eye.

The man had Hermione, for Merlin's sake. What else did he need?

He sighed as he headed back down to the gates so he could Apparate away.

Half an hour later, he found himself back at his London flat. It was dark and empty, but that was how Harry felt at the moment so he didn't mind it much.

He flopped down on his sofa and rubbed at his eyes.

He did not want to give up the work he had done at the school. The work was very important to him and he knew that there was a great deal more left to do. But, how could he continue with this watching Hermione and knowing that nothing was ever going to happen between them. Damian Conaghan wasn't going to be gone forever.

He knew he couldn't pass the other man off to another hospital like he'd done. At the same time, he wanted nothing more than to pack him off into oblivion.

Harry sighed and reached over to turn off the light. As he did so, he caught sight of a photograph of him and Hermione together. It had been taken during their third year.

He picked up and studied it closer. It had been taken during one of their Hogsmeade visits. They had their arms around each other's shoulders and were laughing- probably at Ron.

The Hermione in the photograph smiled back at him.

He smiled back, wishing he could go back to that time and do so many things over again.

When they were in school, she was his one constant. The one person he could always count on to be by his side no matter what. When most people would have walked away, she'd stood by his side. Until the one day when he had let her down, Harry thought sadly.

He put the picture aside, feeling like his purpose had renewed. There was no way he could let this go. There was no way he could let HER go. Not again.

*** *** ***

Harry returned to Johannesburg Monday morning feeling marginally better than he had on Saturday evening after his talk with Hermione. He had not seen or heard from her and he doubted that he would. He figured that was for the best. Anything that happened now would be all down to her.

Harry arrived at the school ready to put in a productive day. As he approached the quad, he saw Billy gathered around a few of his friends. Harry smiled as he remembered the fun he'd had with the boy.

"Harry!" Billy waved to him. "Harry!"

Harry waved back and approached the crowd of students. He noticed that Bella was not there.

"I have something for you," Harry said reaching into his bag. He'd had the photographs Billy had taken developed in London.

"Thanks!" Billy said. "That was so much fun, Harry. Can we do it again?"

Harry grinned. "Absolutely."

"I had the best time," Billy told him as he eagerly looked through the pictures.

"So did I," Harry said, his mood brightening as he watched Billy. "How was the rest of your weekend?"

"It was okay," he said. "Some people came by on Sunday. They liked me."

Harry's smile faltered a bit. "They did?"

"Yeah," Billy said. "They were all right, I guess."

Harry was about to ask him another question when someone called out Billy's name. Billy's face brightened when he turned and saw Bella. He waved for her to join them. "Bells!"

"Hi Billy," Bella smiled at her friend. "Hi... Harry."

Harry tugged affectionately on one of the little girl's plaits. "Good morning, Miss Conaghan."

Bella smiled a bit more easily at him.

"You have got to see these photos, Bells!" Billy said grabbing his friend by the hand and leading her over to the bench.

"Wow," Bella said as Billy flipped through them all. "That's so cool!"

"We were up so high," Billy told her. "I felt like I could just reach out and touch the clouds."

"I hope I can go with you sometime," Bella said, tracing her finger over one of the pictures.

Billy looked over at Harry. "Next time we go can Bells come with us, please?"

"We'll have to ask her mother first, son." Harry said, adding the last word without even realising it.

Billy grinned. "I know she's going to say yes."

"I'll ask," Bella promised.

Billy grinned even wider.

Bella laughed when Billy showed her a photograph of the hamburger he'd eaten after their flight. "Billy, that hamburger is huge! Did you eat all of that by yourself?"

"Yeah," he said with a grin. "I was so hungry I could have had two!"

"William!" Dr. McGraw called out.

Billy rolled his eyes causing Bella to giggle.

The headmistress smiled at him. "I have great news for you, young man."

Billy looked up at her. "You do?"

"Mr. and Mrs. Carson have asked to see you again," Dr. McGraw told him.

"Who are they?" Bella asked curiously.

"The people from yesterday?" Harry asked.

Dr. McGraw nodded. "They're going to pick you up after school and take you out to dinner, William."

If this news excited Billy, he certainly didn't show it. Instead, he looked down at the pictures in his hands.

"They were really impressed with our William," Dr. McGraw said proudly.

"Of course," Harry said. "Anyone would be proud to have him as a son."

Billy looked up at Harry with an unreadable expression.

"Come along, William," Dr. McGraw said. "I need to talk to you..."

Billy wanted to protest, but he knew Dr. McGraw would not be swayed. He told Bella he'd see her in class. Bella nodded and watched her friend leave.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked the young girl.

"Yeah," Bella lied.

Harry nodded and touched her shoulder. "Shall we go inside?"

Bella nodded. "Okay."

"Did you have a nice weekend?" Harry inquired.

Bella nodded. "Mummy and me worked in the garden and yesterday, we made breakfast. Just the two of us."

"That sounds very nice," Harry nodded.

"It was," Bella said softly. She looked shyly up at Harry. "What did you do?"

"I visited some friends back home," Harry replied.

Bella smiled. "I'm glad you came back."

"Thanks," Harry smiled at her.

They walked in companionable silence into the school.

"I've never seen Billy that happy before," Bella commented.

"We had a great time together," Harry said. "He enjoyed himself up there."

"He's my bestest friend," Bella said quietly.

Harry remembered when he was younger, feeling that way about Hermione. "And I'm sure you're his," he said.

Bella's lower lip trembled as she looked up at Harry. "I don't want him to leave."

"Hey now," Harry knelt down so he could look at the young girl. "No one said he's going anywhere."

"But those people want to see him again," Bella said as a tear fell down her cheek. "And he'll go away and I'll---I'll never see him again."

Harry gave her a hug. "You'll get to see him whenever you want. Billy's not going to want to give up your friendship."

"R-really?" Bella asked.

"Of course," he said.

Bella hugged him tightly.

Harry patted her back comfortingly. "It'll be okay, Bella. I promise."

Bella pulled away from him and smiled tentatively at him.

"There we go," Harry said. "A smile..."

Bella giggled. "Thanks, Harry."

"Off to class with you," Harry stood up and patted her shoulder. "I'm sure you'll see Billy waiting for you in there."

Bella nodded. "Bye."

"See you later," he said watching her go.

Harry looked at his watch. He was supposed to help in the library that morning. Walking to the library, he thought about this family that wanted to see Billy again. Did they know how much the boy liked to fly? Did they know what a great footballer he was?

In turn, he wondered if Billy did like them more than he'd let on. If it meant he'd be in a family where he was loved, Harry would be happy for the young boy.

Harry opened the door to the library and remembered that Hermione's class was scheduled for the computers. His best friend was already helping her students get settled. His heart sped up as he took in her appearance. That morning, she wore a red sundress and her hair hung loose down her back.

He blew out his breath as he averted his eyes, trying to calm himself down.

Hermione turned and saw him. He didn't look up to meet her gaze.

He busied himself with turning on the computer that he would be using and sitting down.

"Hello, Harry."

"Good morning," he said in a pleasant, controlled tone.

"I thought I'd start the children on the math programs today," Hermione said conversationally.

"Great," Harry said. "I'll load it up and follow along."

"You cut your hair," Hermione said, her hand rising almost involuntarily to touch it. She pulled it away just as quickly.

"Yeah," he said. "I was back in London and just went in really quick."

"You went home?" Hermione asked.

He nodded. "Just over Saturday night and yesterday."

Hermione wondered why he wouldn't look at her. "How's Neville?" she asked.

"Great," Harry replied, typing something on the computer.

"You're angry with me," Hermione said quietly.

"Of course not," Harry finally looked up at her, keeping his tone even.

"I wish---" Hermione started to say.

"Mrs. Conaghan!" one of the students said. "I can't get my computer started!"

Hermione looked over her shoulder. "I'll be right there, Malia."

"I can help her if you want," Harry offered.

"That would be great," Hermione replied.

"Not a problem," Harry got up and headed over to the little girl.

Hermione watched him go and knew she should not care one way or the other if he was angry with her. She was the one who had told them that they couldn't be more than colleagues.

She wondered if he was going to stay in here the whole time she had her class that day.

A part of her wished he would so she could be close to him. Another part knew it was playing with fire to have those thoughts.

"Anyone else need help?" Harry asked after turning Malia's computer on.

Everyone shook their heads.

"Okay," Harry said. "I'll just be over here if you need anything."

"Thank you," Hermione said as he went past her.

Harry nodded in response before he sat back down.

Hermione's mind was only half on her teachings that day as she walked her students through using the maths program.

She snuck in glances in Harry's direction every now and then, but he seemed determined to ignore her.

As the class was packing up to leave, Harry was actually somewhat startled when she cornered him. "Yes?" he asked.

Hermione bit her lip as she thought of what to say.

"Did you need any other help with the computers?" Harry asked her.

"No," Hermione said. She wanted to tell him how much his indifference today was bothering her, but didn't know how to put it into words.

"What do you want, Hermione?" Harry asked.

"I... I just..." Hermione rubbed at her forehead. "Thanks for helping today."

"That's what I'm here for, right?" Harry asked.

"Right," Hermione said quietly.

Harry made a move for the door, but he stopped. "Hermione?"

She looked up. "Yeah?"

"Billy met with a couple this weekend," Harry said. "And---and apparently they want to see him again today."

"Well, that's great," Hermione said. "He's a really great kid."

"Yeah," Harry nodded. "He really is. I like him a lot."

"The feeling is mutual," Hermione said.

"You think?" he asked.

Hermione nodded. "I think you made his life when you took him flying. I haven't seen him, of course, but I can just imagine what that was like for him."

"I brought him his pictures," Harry said. "I'm sure he'd let you look."

"You think?" Hermione asked dryly.

"Why not?" Harry shrugged. "You're his best friend's mother."

"Of course," Hermione said. "And if not, I'm sure I'll hear all about it from Bella. She and Billy don't keep secrets from each other. They're very close."

"It's nice to have a friend like that," Harry said.

"They'd do anything for each other," Hermione said softly.

"Reminds me of someone I used to know," Harry said, looking away.

Hermione did not know how to respond to that. "If you're worried about the potential parents, don't be. Dr. McGraw would not place Billy with anyone she didn't think would provide him with a loving, safe environment."

"Good," Harry replied. "That kid deserves a good home."

"You care about him a lot," Hermione commented.

"He reminds me of myself when I was that age," Harry replied.

Hermione smiled. She had always thought that, too.

Harry shrugged. "He's been through a lot."

Hermione nodded in agreement. "He's always wanted to feel as if he fit in somewhere."

Harry fiddled with the mouse on the computer, unsure of what to say to her.

"Speaking of fitting in," Hermione said. "It looks as if Bella and I might be leaving here soon." Hermione didn't know why she had told him that. She didn't even know why she had voiced that aloud. It made it seem more real. But, it was Damian wanted and he always got what he wanted.

Harry was startled. "What?"

"Apparently, Damian's doing quite well in the states," Hermione said. "He's starting to look at houses."

Harry thought this was interesting news, considering Cho had told him Damian Conaghan had done almost nothing since arriving there.

"I can't imagine leaving here," Hermione said quietly. "This is home and it's the only real home Bella has ever known."

"Then stay," Harry said. "You don't have to go with him."

Hermione let out a weak laugh. "I don't have a choice. I never have."

Harry shook his head. "This isn't you. The Hermione I always knew would never allow anyone to tell her what to do."

"No one's the same as they were when they were 11," Hermione said, already regretting telling him anything about this.

"Of course not," Harry said. "But even at eighteen you were never like this."

"Sometimes," Hermione said looking at him. "You have to do things that you don't want to do to protect the people you love."

Harry stared at her wordlessly.

"You should know that better than anyone," Hermione said.

"Point taken," Harry replied.

"I should go," Hermione said hastily.

Harry nodded. "See you."

Hermione looked at him one last time. "Bye, Harry."

Harry didn't say anything else as she left. Once she was out of earshot he pulled out his mobile and dialled Cho.

"Chang," Cho answered on the second ring.

"What's going on?" Harry asked without greeting. "Hermione just told me Conaghan's looking at houses there?"

"Hello, Harry," Cho said sarcastically. "And how are you?"

"Hi Cho," Harry snapped.

"That's better," Cho said.

"What's going on?" he asked in a calmer voice.

"I assume you mean with Damian Conaghan and not me," Cho said dryly.

"Hermione told me he said he's looking to move there," Harry said. "I thought you told me he wasn't doing so well there."

"He is if you count adding notches to his bedpost," Cho told him.

"How much longer is he going to last out there?" Harry asked.

"I've spoken to the chief of surgery," Cho told him. "The other night, Conaghan made a pass at me."

"What?" Harry was aghast.

Cho told him about what had transpired in the on-call room. "The chief said he would keep an eye on him. It's only a matter of time, Harry. I'm not the only one he's done this with. Unfortunately, a few of my colleagues haven't exactly turned him down."

"I'm sorry," Harry replied, rubbing his forehead. "I'd never have asked you to do this if I'd known he would do that."

"It's not anything I can't handle," Cho told him.

"Anytime you need a favour," Harry said. "I really do owe you."

"Yes, you do," Cho said. "World Cup tickets. I'm counting on you."

Harry smiled. "Easily done."

"How is Hermione?" Cho asked.

"She's not the same person she was at school," Harry answered.

"Oh, so she's still not a bossy little bookworm?" Cho asked.

"Not so much," Harry said. He didn't disclose more- that part he wanted to keep to himself.

"Can't say as I pictured her ending up with someone like Conaghan," Cho said.

"Me either," Harry muttered.

"She loves you," Cho said. "I always thought so, you know."

"She doesn't want to be with me," Harry replied.

"You don't believe that," Cho said.

"She made it pretty clear on several occasions," Harry told her.

"So you're giving up?" Cho asked in surprise. "That doesn't sound like you."

"I don't know right now," Harry said.

"You know I'm not her biggest fan," Cho said. "But, I think she's lucky that she has you in her life."

"Thanks," Harry replied. "I'll let you go."

"I'll keep you posted," Cho promised.

"Thanks again," Harry said before clicking off his mobile.

He leaned back in his chair and thought about what Cho had said. Was he giving up on Hermione? She had been there for him in his darkest days. Couldn't he do the same for her? He could remember that day during fifth year Christmas hols when she'd cut short her skiing trip with her parents to check on him. He had been determined to spend his entire Christmas locked up in that room.

He sighed, realising his indifference to her would never last. There was no way he was letting go of her now.

An idea suddenly came to him and he grabbed his mobile again. He scanned through the programmed numbers and selected "Elinore Granger".

"Dr. Granger," Harry said when she'd answered. "It's Harry. Harry Potter."