Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Sorry about the late update guys- much stuff happening right now and I forgot to update. You can thank Jo (Orli Luva) for the reminder!)

Give Me One More Chance - Jackson 5

Oh baby give me one more chance
To show you that I love you
Wont you please send me back in your heart

Oh darlin I was blind to let you go
But now since I see you in his arms
I want you back
Yes I do now
I want you back

Hermione gaped at him.

"I chickened out," Harry said with a nervous laugh. "Can you believe that?"

"Harry," she whispered. "I had no idea..."

"I tried to keep it a secret, but Ron figured it out," Harry said. "And he said I should tell you before we left. I couldn't do that to you though because if I didn't come back---"

"And then you left me... so I left you." Hermione said.

Harry nodded. "Ten years later, here we are."

"It's so unfair," Hermione rubbed at her forehead.

"I know," Harry agreed. "All this time, I've wondered what life would be like if I'd stepped up and told you how I felt."

"I would have stayed if you had," she said.

"I'm an idiot," Harry said with a sigh.

"So am I," Hermione said, trying to fight back her tears.

Harry put his hand on her arm. "You're not an idiot. You're the smartest person I know."

Hermione straightened up as Bella and Billy left the counter.

"We got banana splits!" Bella announced.

"Those look great," Harry told her. "Good choice, both of you."

"Thanks, Mr. Potter," Billy said.

"Call me Harry," he told the boy.

Billy smiled. "Thanks, Harry."

"I've got to use the loo," Hermione said. "Be back in a moment."

"Hermione?" Harry asked.

"Won't be long," she said, rushing off.

She hurried into the loo and locked the door. Harry had loved her.

"Bloody hell," Hermione said, tears falling from her eyes.

She tried to stop the tears, but they kept coming. If he had just told her how he felt, things would have been different. She would never have left school. She would never have met Damian again.

But in that same frame of thought, she wouldn't have her daughter. And having Bella was something she wouldn't ever change.

Besides, she thought, there was no way of knowing that he still felt that way. But, then again, it would not matter if he did. She could not leave her husband.

Hermione splashed some cold water on her face and tried to collect herself.

Earlier, in the pool, she had wanted to kiss him. What on earth was she doing putting herself into the path of temptation like this?

"Keep this at a professional level," Hermione told herself. "No more dinners or swimming."

Besides, Damian would be back soon and there was no way she could continue to see Harry like this.

"Just end it all here, tonight." she said.

She left the bathroom and walked back to the table.

"Are you okay, Mummy?" Bella asked. Her face was smeared with chocolate from her sundae.

"I'm fine," Hermione said. "But, you and I should really head home. I promised your father we'd call him before your bedtime."

Bella pouted. "But I'm not done with my sundae!"

"And I haven't bought you one yet," Harry said. "Come on and sit down. It's still early, Hermione."

"I don't need any ice cream," Hermione said. "I'm pretty full."

Harry looked at her. She had only eaten half of her salad.

She avoided looking at Harry. "Hurry up, sweetheart."

"Mummy," Bella protested. "I don't want to talk to Daddy on the phone. I want to stay here."

"Isabella," Hermione said firmly.

Bella frowned and took a bite of her sundae.

Billy had finished his. "This was really, really good."

"I'm really glad you liked it," Harry told him.

"Can we do this again sometime?" Billy ventured.

"Of course," Harry told him.

"Cool!" Billy said enthusiastically, sharing a grin with Bella.

Harry looked over at Hermione. "Can I have a word?"

"I suppose," she answered.

He stood up and led her a few feet away so they could talk out of the kids' earshot. "I freaked you out, didn't I? When I told you about that night?"

"A bit," she said softly.

"I'm sorry," Harry said. "I just thought you should know."

Hermione nodded.

Harry smiled at her. "I don't want things to be weird between us because I just now have you back in my life."

"It's just not the same," Hermione told him quietly.

"I know," Harry said. He could feel her pulling away from him and that was the last thing he wanted. "You know I thought that over the years those feelings would go away. But, they haven't."

"I can't." Hermione shook her head.

"You felt something earlier, didn't you?" Harry asked her. "I know you did."

"Don't do this," Hermione said. "I'm married now. I can't go there, even if I wanted to."

"Hermione," Harry said softly. "You love me too, don't you?"

"I really have to go," Hermione said. "Good night, Harry."

"Hermione, wait," Harry called after her. But, she was already at the table, wiping Bella's face with a napkin.

"Come on baby," Hermione said. "We need to go."

Bella frowned. "Okay, Mummy."

"We'll see you tomorrow, Billy." Hermione told him.

"Bye, Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said. "Bye, Bells!"

"See you Billy," Bella waved. "Bye, Harry!"

"Bye, Miss Isabella," Harry waved back. "Bye, Hermione."

Hermione nodded at him before leading Bella out of the restaurant.

Harry sat back down. He pushed his plate away. He wasn't hungry anymore. Just as always, he'd jumped the gun. Hermione, of all people, had always told him that he needed to think before he acted. But, did he do that this time?

"Are you going to finish that?" Billy looked at his sandwich.

"No," Harry replied. "Go ahead."

"Thanks," Billy said eagerly, wolfing it down.

"You remind me of my best friend, Ron," Harry said. "He has a bottomless stomach."

"What's that mean?" Billy asked.

"It means that he can eat anything at any time and never gets full," Harry replied. "In fact, I don't think he's ever turned down food. He'd probably even like the oatmeal and meatloaf at the school."

"Gross!" Billy made a face.

Harry laughed. "Maybe you'll get to meet him sometime. He's thinking of coming down here for a visit. He and I went to school with Bella's mum."

"You went to school with Mrs. Conaghan?" Billy asked.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I've known her since I was 11."

"That's a long time," Billy said.

Harry smiled. "Yes, it is."

"How old are you?" Billy asked.

Harry laughed. "How old do you think I am?"

"Forty five?" Billy ventured.

Harry threw a crisp at him. "Forty five?"

"Just guessing!" Billy laughed.

"Well, you are way off," Harry chuckled. "I'll be twenty eight in July."

"That's still kind of old," Billy said thoughtfully. "I'm only six."

Harry smiled. "And what do you want to do when you grow up, Billy?"

"Be an astronaut," Billy replied immediately.

"I think you would be a great astronaut," Harry told him.

"You do?" Billy asked. "Everyone else tells me it's stupid."

"If you work hard enough and apply yourself, I'm sure you can do it," Harry said. "Don't let anyone ever tell you that your dreams are stupid, Billy."

"Thanks," Billy said, the side of his mouth turning up.

"You know," Harry said. "I happen to know a pilot. I could see if he'd take you up for a flight."

"A real pilot?" Billy asked in awe. "You'd do that?"

"Absolutely," Harry said. "I'll see if I can set that up in the next couple of days."

Billy stared at him a moment, his eyes suddenly turning wary. "How come you're being so nice to me?"

"I like you," Harry replied. "And I'd like to be your friend, Billy. I'm here to help."

"Other people have told me that," he mumbled.

"I'm not other people," Harry told him. "I know you haven't had a lot of people in your life that you can count on, Billy."

Billy only shrugged.

"Come on then," Harry said. "I should get you back to school."

"Okay," Billy said, sliding from his chair.

"Did you have fun today?" Harry asked him as they headed out of the restaurant.

Billy nodded. "A lot."

"I did too," Harry said. "I'm glad you could come along."

Billy chanced a smile at him. "Thanks for inviting me."

"Anytime," Harry smiled back at him. "You're quite the swimmer."

"I learned to swim a long time ago," Billy boasted.

"Did you now?" Harry grinned.

"Yeah," Billy nodded. "My... my mum taught me before..."

Harry put his hand on the boy's shoulder. "She taught you well. You're a better swimmer than me. I didn't learn until I was much older."

"How come?" Billy asked.

"My aunt and uncle never saw fit to take me to the pool or to the ocean," Harry said. "They didn't mind taking my cousin though. I was supposed to sit up in my bedroom and pretend I didn't exist."

"Wow," he looked up at Harry.

"Yeah, my Uncle Vernon was a piece of work," Harry said.

"So was my mum," Billy replied quietly.

Harry looked sympathetically at the little boy. This was exactly how he had felt when he was Billy's age.

Billy kicked a rock along the road. "She sent me here and then just left."

"I'm sure your mother loved you," Harry said thoughtfully. "She probably felt overwhelmed and wanted to do what was best for you. I know it doesn't seem like it, but she was looking out for you."

Billy shrugged again.

"You know," Harry said with a grin. "I know you can swim, but I bet you're not much of a runner. In fact, I bet that I could beat you in a footrace back to the school."

"No way," Billy said, his grin returning.

"Okay," Harry said. "If you win, I'll bring you a box of doughnuts and if I win, you'll have to help me shelve books in the library."

"You're on!" Billy said, taking off down the pavement.

Harry laughed as he took off after him.

He deliberately kept his pace slower than Billy, who was running with every ounce of strength he had.

Billy pumped his fists in triumph when he reached the front steps of the school.

"You're just too fast!" Harry exclaimed.

Billy grinned. "I'll take chocolate covered doughnuts, thank you."

"I'll have them for you in the morning," Harry ruffled Billy's hair.

Billy laughed. "You didn't do too bad, for an old guy."

"Thanks," Harry grinned at him. "I'll walk you inside."

Billy nodded and led the way up the steps. "Bella really likes you, too."

"That feeling is very mutual," Harry answered.

"So does Mrs. Conaghan," Billy commented.

"Well we're old friends," Harry said.

"Was she your girlfriend?" Billy asked.

"No," Harry said.

"Do you want her to be?" Billy asked bluntly.

"Billy," Harry chided. "Mrs. Conaghan is married."

"So was Mrs. Morando," Billy said. "But she got divorced."

"Here we are," Harry changed the subject. "And tomorrow I'll have a box of chocolate donuts for you."

Billy grinned. "Thanks, Mr. Potter. Good night."

"Night Billy," Harry said.

Harry waited until the boy was safely in the dorms before he headed out. He walked slowly back to his hotel, his mind on Hermione. His mind drifted to that night at Grimmauld Place.

Ron had just gone upstairs and Harry was left alone with Hermione.

"I hope he doesn't think I'm going to cook for him every night while we're here," Hermione told Harry.

"You might have to tell him that," Harry replied with a grin.

"I will," Hermione said reaching into the pocket of her jeans for a tie. She pulled her hair back and did not notice Harry was watching her. "I don't understand how he can eat that much and then go upstairs to sleep."

"I'd be sick to my stomach," Harry said still gazing at her.

"So, are you going to help me make the biscuits or what?" Hermione asked him.

"Sure," Harry said. He had no desire to go to sleep.

Hermione smiled at him. "You're a much better helper than Ron. He keeps sticking his hand in the bowl."

"I'll only eat them once they're finished," Harry grinned at her.

Hermione smiled. "It's a good thing, Mrs. Weasley took Ginny with her. I don't think I could have taken any more of her sitting there mooning over you."

Harry rolled his eyes.

"That's not what you need to deal with now," Hermione said thoughtfully as she cracked some eggs into the bowl.

"Not really," he agreed.

"But then again, it's nice to have a free night every now and then," Hermione grinned at him. "Like tonight."

Harry nodded. "Just to relax a bit."

"Exactly," Hermione said. "How about you get the chocolate chips from the cupboard and the sugar, too?"

"Okay," Harry reached up to get the items from the cupboard.

"I have a confession to make," Hermione told him. "My parents think I'm staying at the Burrow. They don't know that I'm here with you and Ron."

"Why not?" Harry asked curiously.

"Do you know of many parents who would let their daughter stay at a house unsupervised with two boys?" Hermione asked with a grin.

"Good point," Harry said sheepishly.

"What they don't know can't hurt them, right?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "Hermione Granger, breaking the rules..."

"She was such a good girl, too," Hermione laughed. "Until she was led astray by her two best friends, Ronald Weasley and Harry Potter."

"Such bad influences," Harry joked.

"Terrible, wicked boys," Hermione said picking up some flour and tossing it in his direction.

"Hey!" Harry ducked so the white powder wouldn't cover his inky coloured hair.

"Mr. Big, Bad Seeker needs to work on his reflexes," Hermione teased ducking as Harry hurled some chocolate chips at her. "Harry!"

"Mr. Big, Bad Seeker needs to work on his reflexes," Hermione teased ducking as Harry hurled some chocolate chips at her. "Harry!"

"Those are too good to waste," Harry said, grabbing a handful of sugar.

"You wouldn't," Hermione said.

Harry launched it at her.

"Oh," Hermione sputtered. "You are soooooo going to get it now."

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked.

Hermione took another handful of flour. "Oh yeah," she countered mischievously.

Harry coughed as she tossed it directly at his face. His glasses were completely covered.

"Score!" Hermione laughed.

Harry took his glasses off and blinked. The sight of his browned skin standing out against his white face made Hermione laugh even harder.

"You think this is funny, do you?" Harry asked.

"Hilarious," she managed, leaning against the counter.

Harry grabbed a towel and wiped his face. "You're lucky I like you so much or I'd retaliate."

"Sure," Hermione smirked. "I think the problem is you can't see."

"I can see just fine," Harry said dropping the dish towel and grabbing her around the waist.

Hermione gulped. He was standing SO close to her!

"What do you think of my reflexes now?" Harry asked, his breath tickling her neck.

"Pretty good," she choked out.

Harry spun her around to face him. "I didn't quite hear that."

"Good," Hermione said, her eyes fixating on his.

Harry touched her cheek. "We're a mess."

"Yes we are," she managed.

"Hermione, I--" Harry started to say.

"What the bloody hell happened here?" Ron asked.

Harry let Hermione go. "We-we were just baking," he said hastily.

"And we sort of spilled some stuff," Hermione grabbed a towel.

"You shouldn't waste food," Ron told them grumpily. "And you call me messy, Hermione. Seems to me like you're throwing stones at my glass."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You mean throwing stones at your glass house. Besides, Ronald, I'd have to trash the kitchen completely to even come close to how messy you are on an everyday basis."

"Very funny," Ron said crossly, going to the icebox.

"You're still hungry?" Hermione asked him incredulously.

"So?" Ron asked.

"Nothing," Hermione said crossly.

Harry shook his head. He couldn't believe people thought these two fancied each other. "Delusional," he muttered.

"Hermione, can you make me some waffles?" Ron asked. "With lots of butter?"

"No," Hermione snapped. "I am not making you any more food!"

Ron glared at her. "You'd make them if Harry wanted them."

"No I wouldn't," she denied quickly.

"Fine," Ron grumbled. "I'll make them myself."

"Oh, no you will not!" Hermione exclaimed. "The last time you decided to cook something you nearly burned the house down!"

"Then make them for me!" Ron whined.

"You ate six sandwiches and half a bag of chips," Hermione pointed out. "And now you want waffles?"

"Just four of them," Ron wheedled.

Hermione threw a dish towel at him. "You are the most insufferable, inconsiderate, needy, lazy, messy and indolent people I've ever met in my life," Hermione told him.

"And you are the bossiest shrew I've ever met in my life," Ron shot back.

"Hey!" Harry protested. "Don't talk to her like that!"

"A great best mate you are!" Ron snapped at him/

"He's my best friend too," Hermione said to Ron. "In case you've forgotten!"

"Why don't you two just find a corner and shag then?" Ron asked before stomping out of the kitchen.

Hermione's cheeks turned red and she busied herself with cleaning up the mess.

Harry shook his head. "What the hell is his problem?"

"He didn't get his way," Hermione replied. "You know how he gets when that happens."

"True," Harry pulled out his wand and waved it at the mess.

"Thanks for taking up for me," Hermione said softly.

"No problem," Harry said. "You... you were right. You're my best friend too."

"Even if I did throw flour at you?" Hermione asked.

"Well I threw sugar at you," Harry said. "And chocolate chips..."

"It's okay," Hermione said looking earnestly at him. "I forgive you."

Harry grinned. "You started it."

"Me?" Hermione asked innocently.

"Yes, you." Harry returned.

Hermione grinned. "Yeah, but you still love me."

"More than you know," Harry muttered under his breath.

Harry sighed. Who knew what would have happened that night if Ron had not interrupted them.

He let himself into his hotel room, dropping his keys and mobile on the nightstand before stretching out on the bed.

What a day, he thought to himself.

He couldn't believe he'd told Hermione he loved her.

Any progress he'd made in getting their friendship back was lost because he couldn't shut his big mouth.

Harry rubbed at his eyes and decided not to bother showering or undressing. He was too tired.

Miles away in a Madagascar hotel room, Damian Conaghan was just getting out of bed. He smiled at the blonde nurse. "I'm going to take a shower. Care to join me?"

"So very tempting," she purred.

Damian gave her a kiss. "How about you go and get things started? I need to check in at the hospital back home."

"I'll be counting the moments," she said sliding from under the covers.

Damian watched her go into the bathroom and he tried to remember her name.

"Marie..." he muttered. "Maria?"

He laughed to himself. It would come to him eventually. He picked up the phone and dialled the hospital's number. "Drake, hey mate. It's me, Conaghan. How're things?"

"Hey Damian," his friend replied. "Am I glad you called."

Damian listened patiently while Drake filled him on the goings on at the hospital.

"So when do you think you'll be back?" Drake asked him.

"Next week sometime," Damian answered. "Why?"

"Stephanie saw Hermione and Bella at the pool today," Drake said.

"Hermione was at the pool?" Damian asked.

"Yeah," Drake said quietly. "I--I don't know if I should be telling you this..."

"Tell me!" Damian commanded.

"Steph saw her with some bloke," Drake told him. "Steph said they looked pretty close. They were playing around in the pool. She said he couldn't keep his hands off of her."

Damian clenched the phone in his hand.

"Damian?" Drake asked. "Are you still there?"

"Yeah," Damian said tightly.

"I just thought you should know," Drake said. "I mean, you'd tell me."

"Sure I would," Damian said. "I'll see you soon, Drake." he hung up.

"Damian?" the nurse called out to him from the bathroom. "The water's getting cold..."

Damian didn't bother to respond. He quickly grabbed up his things and left the hotel room without a word.

He could not believe Hermione would do this to him. Drake's wife was the biggest gossip in Johannesburg. If she knew, the entire hospital had to know.

"Bitch," he muttered as he checked out of the hotel and flagged down a taxi.

The next morning, Hermione was rushing about trying to get ready for school. She had not slept much the night before, too preoccupied with thoughts of Harry and what he had confessed.

"Mummy that hurts," Bella complained as Hermione accidentally pulled on her hair.

"Sorry, baby," Hermione said.

She tugged gently at a snarl and after a few minutes, finally had her daughter's hair brushed properly.

"Go downstairs," Hermione said. "Tilly has breakfast ready for you. I'll be down in a minute, okay?"

"Okay Mummy," Bella agreed.

"And no telly," Hermione told her.

Bella pouted. "I know."

Hermione grinned. "Off you go."

She turned her attention to her reflection and pulled her hair back off her face.

"Hello, sweetheart," a cold voice said from behind her. "Miss me?"

Hermione jumped. "Damian?"

"Oh, you do remember me, then?" Damian asked sarcastically.

Hermione forced a smile onto her face. "I wasn't expecting you home so soon."

"Obviously," Damian said shutting the bedroom door behind him.

"This is a pleasant surprise--" she began.

"What have you been up to while I've been gone, my love?" Damian asked.

"Nothing much," Hermione said.

"Oh really?" Damian asked, coming closer.

Hermione shrugged. "I took Bella to the pool yesterday."

"You haven't done that in quite some time," Damian commented. "How was it?"

"It was fine," Hermione said. "She had a good time."

"Were you alone?" Damian asked her, his cold eyes boring into hers.

"We... we took Billy, from the orphanage..." Hermione faltered. How had he found out?

"Don't lie to me, Hermione," Damian said advancing on her. "Who were you with?"

"Damian--" she said, backing up.

Downstairs, Bella was getting impatient. She didn't want to eat her breakfast without her mother. She and Tilly both jumped when they heard a crashing sound from upstairs.

"HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME LOOK LIKE A FOOL!" Damian roared.

"Daddy," Bella gulped looking at Tilly. "Daddy's home."

Tilly nodded. "Why don't we go into the sitting room," she said.

Bella shook her head. "I-I want to help Mummy!"

"It's best you don't go up there, cherie," Tilly said.

There was another crashing sound and Bella flinched as she heard her mother cry out in pain.

"Tilly let me go," she struggled with the maid as her eyes filled with tears.

Tilly held her tight. "It will be over soon, cherie."

Bella began to cry as she heard her father curse and Hermione try to plead with him to stop.

Tilly's own eyes were filling with tears and she let Bella go for a moment. That was all the little girl needed and she ran out of the kitchen and upstairs. Her father barely looked at her as he stalked out of the room.

"Mummy!" Bella rushed into the room and saw Hermione slumped against the side of the bed.

"No, baby," Hermione managed to choke out. "I-I don't want you to see me like this."

"But you need help," Bella said with a sob.

"I'm---I'm okay, baby," Hermione said, her voice breaking. "Get---get Tilly. She'll know what to do."

"Okay," Bella hiccupped as she ran for their maid.

Hermione struggled to sit up. Every bone in her body was aching. Never in her life had she hated someone more than she hated her husband right now.

"Madame," Tilly came into the room followed by Bella. "Let's get you on the bed."

Hermione nodded and allowed the maid to help her to her feet. Bella started to cry even harder when she got a good look at her mother, bloodied and bruised.

"Baby go to your room," Hermione wheezed.

Bella shook her head. "I want to help..."

"I don't want you to see this, baby." Hermione said. "Please be a big girl and go play in your room for a little while."

Bella nodded. "I love you, Mummy."

"I love you too sweetheart," Hermione tried to smile.

Bella cuddled up on her bed with her stuffed dragon. If only there was a real Buckbeak that could take her and her mummy away from Daddy, Bella thought as she cried.

"Tilly... he knew about Harry coming swimming with us," Hermione said as the maid helped her clean herself up. "How did he know?"

"I didn't tell him, Madame," Tilly replied. "I promise."

"I know you didn't," Hermione said. "You wouldn't do that."

Tilly used a wet rag to wipe the blood from Hermione's forehead. "I think you should see a doctor...."

Hermione shook her head. "I can't."

"Your injuries, Madame," Tilly protested.

"They'll heal," Hermione said. "They'd be worse if Damian found out I went to the hospital for them."

Tilly nodded. "Should I ring the school and tell them you won't be in today?"

"Please," Hermione nodded. "Tell them I woke up with a touch of the flu."

"I'll tell them Isabella is ill too," Tilly told her.

Hermione nodded. "It's probably best that she stay home as well."

Tilly left the room to make the call. Hermione sobbed into her pillow.

"Mummy?"

"Baby..." Hermione said. "Come on in."

Bella tiptoed into the room and held out her stuffed dragon. "Here---"

"Thank you sweetheart," Hermione whispered.

Bella climbed up on the bed. "I'm sorry, Mummy."

"Why are you sorry, baby?" Hermione asked.

"I didn't stop him," Bella said her lower lip trembling. "I wanted to save you."

"You couldn't stop him, angel." Hermione said. "I'm glad you stayed out of the way."

Bella rested her head on her mother's shoulder.

"You want to stay home with me today, love?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," Bella said in a small voice.

"Good," Hermione closed her eyes.

Bella started to sing a lullaby that Hermione sang to her when she wasn't feeling well.

Tears leaked from her good eye.

Harry had just arrived at the school carrying the box of doughnuts he had promised Billy.

"Good morning Michelle," Harry nodded to the secretary.

"Good morning," she replied warmly.

"Is Mrs. Conaghan in yet?" he asked.

Michelle shook her head. "Her housekeeper rang earlier. She and Bella have a touch of the flu. They'll not be in today."

"The flu?" Harry asked, concerned.

"I'm sure they'll be fine," Michelle reassured him.

Harry nodded. "Thanks..."

Harry wondered if what he had told her last night had anything to do with her not being in today. But, he could not see her keeping Bella out of school for it.

"Wow," Billy's voice interrupted. "You actually remembered!"

Harry turned and grinned. "Of course. I lost the bet, didn't I?"

Billy carefully took the box in his hand. "And they ARE chocolate!"

"That's what you asked for, isn't it?" Harry asked with a grin.

"Yeah but usually I get told they aren't healthy for me and all that." Billy looked up at him in gratitude.

Harry laughed. "Well, you shouldn't eat them everyday, but every now and again should be okay."

"I'll hide them," Billy said.

"Might be a good idea," Harry said. He looked around at the students rushing about to get to their classes. "Bella's going to miss out on the computers today. Michelle just told me that she and her mum are sick."

"Bella's sick?" Billy frowned.

"Suppose so," Harry replied. "I might give her mum a call to see how she's holding up. I'll let you know how she is, Billy."

"Thanks," Billy said. "I'll see you later."

Harry watched him go before he headed upstairs to his office. He had some time before he had to meet with Dr. McGraw. He could call Hermione and check on her to make sure there wasn't anything she or Bella needed.

He headed into his office and grabbed his mobile. He looked up Hermione's home phone number in the school directory and dialled.

It was Tilly who answered the phone. "Conaghan residence."

"Hello Tilly," Harry said. "Is Mrs. Conaghan available?"

There was silence on the other end of the phone.

"Tilly?" Harry prompted.

"Mrs. Conaghan is resting," Tilly replied.

"Is she awake?" Harry pressed.

"I'll check," Tilly said after a moment's hesitation. "One moment."

"Thank you," Harry said, sitting down.

"I'm sorry, monsieur," Tilly said a minute later. "Mrs. Conaghan is sleeping and so is Miss Isabella."

"Oh," Harry said in disappointment. "Um... could you have her ring me at the orphanage when she gets a moment? If she feels up to it?"

"I don't think that's possible," Tilly said. "Dr. Conaghan arrived home this morning."

Harry didn't see why that would be a problem. "She can't ring me because he's home?"

"Good day," Tilly replied curtly before hanging up the phone.

Harry stared at his phone for a moment before turning it off and putting it in his drawer. What was going ON at that house?