Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Thanks for sticking through this so far- some of you are in disbelief that Hermione could let this happen to her, but this sort of thing changes a woman. Just keep reading!

Starting All Over Again - Hall and Oates

Starting all over again is gonna be rough, so rough
But were gonna make it
Starting all over as friends is gonna be rough, on us
But we gotta face it

We lost what we had
Thats why it hurt so bad
It set us back a thousand years
Were gonna make it up
Though its gonna be rough
To erase all the hurt and tears

Starting all over again is gonna be hard
But I pray that the love will help us make it
Starting all over again is gonna be slow
But we both know that we can make it

The next morning, Harry awoke feeling a little disoriented. He'd stayed up last night reading over most of the paperwork and hoping that Hermione might call. She obviously didn't want to see him and he guessed he'd have to resign himself to that fact.

He showered and changed and went downstairs to grab breakfast before he headed to the school.

"Harry!" a little girl's voice called out to him.

He turned and to his surprise, saw Hermione and Bella in the lobby.

"Hi," Harry said walking over to them. "This is a nice surprise."

Bella launched herself at him, which surprised both Harry and Hermione.

Harry hugged the little girl. "Was that what I heard upstairs in my room? Your tummy grumbling?"

Bella giggled, making Hermione smile. "Yes! And Mummy said maybe we can have donuts!"

"Donuts, eh?" Harry asked scooping her up. "I think that can be arranged."

"There's a lovely bakery a few streets over." Hermione said.

Harry smiled. "I'd like that."

"Can I have a piggyback ride?" Bella asked.

"Sweetheart, I don't think---" Hermione started to say.

"I don't mind," Harry replied.

"Yay!" Bella exclaimed as Harry swung her around and put her on his back. "This is just like Buckbeak!"

"Buckbeak?" Harry looked at Hermione.

"It's just a story that I've been telling her," Hermione said looking at her watch. "We'd getter get a move on."

Harry nodded as he shifted Bella onto his back.

"So," Harry said to Bella. "What did your mummy say about Buckbeak?"

"She said that a boy and girl flew on him to save his life," Bella recited.

"I think I've heard that story too," Harry said hiding a smile as Hermione quickened her step. "Did she tell you about how scared the girl was to fly?"

"No," Bella replied.

Hermione turned around. "She wasn't scared, Harry. She was just---she didn't like it is all."

"How do you know?" Harry teased.

"Mummy knows EVERYTHING," Bella said.

Hermione smiled. "Thanks baby."

"Someday, you'll have to ask her to tell you about Dobby," Harry said to Bella.

"Who's Dobby?" Bella asked excitedly.

"I'll tell you tonight," Hermione promised.

They arrived at the bakery and Harry took a deep breath. "That smells wonderful," he said.

"Told you," Bella said happily.

"You sure did," Harry tickled her side.

Hermione looked sideways at the two of them and felt a pang in her heart.

Harry looked over at her. "Are you all right?"

Hermione nodded. "I'm fine. Just a little knackered is all."

"Daddy left this morning for work," Bella reported.

"Oh?" Harry asked looking at Hermione.

"He's in Madagascar for the week," Hermione said.

Harry was not sorry to hear that. He knew he had no right to feel that way.

"Go on baby," Hermione said as Harry set Bella down. "Go pick out what you want. You can have two donuts."

Bella walked over to the counter.

"I'm really glad that you came," Harry said smiling at Hermione. "I didn't think you would."

"Yes well... Bella really made the choice," Hermione said quietly.

"Either way, I'm glad that you're here," Harry said looking at her. "Um, what do you recommend?"

"Try the croissants with eggs and cheese," Hermione said.

"That sounds good," Harry said. He reached for his wallet. "Breakfast is on me."

"No--" Hermione began to protest.

"I was the one who asked you to breakfast," Harry reminded her.

"I know but it doesn't mean you have to pay for us," Hermione argued.

"I want to," Harry said. "What would you like?"

"Can I have a jelly filled donut?" Bella asked the clerk. "And a really big chocolate one?"

"Sure," Harry replied. "Whatever you want."

Hermione placed her order and then she and Harry sat down with some coffee while Bella happily dug into her donuts.

"So," Harry said unsure of what to say.

Hermione didn't want to get into any sort of deep discussion in front of her daughter. "What are your plans for today?" she asked.

"I have another meeting with Dr. McGraw," Harry said. "She wants to talk about computers."

"Computers?" Hermione's ears perked. "You're bringing in computers?"

Harry nodded. "For a start."

She stared at him, her jaw slack.

"What?" Harry asked.

"No one's ever even thought to bring in computers for these children," Hermione said. "No one's ever tried to counsel them..."

"I want to do whatever I can to help," Harry said. "These children deserve a chance."

Hermione bit her lower lip and nodded. "I've tried to help where I can."

"I know," Harry said. "I read your file last night."

Their food was brought over to the table and Hermione was spared from replying. When reaching for her plate, her sleeve pulled back and Harry saw the bruises on her arm.

"Hermione?" Harry asked reaching for her arm. "What happened here?"

Hermione snatched her arm back. "Nothing."

"Your arm is bruised," Harry said concern etched across his face.

"So?" she asked.

"How'd it happen?" Harry asked.

"Who knows?" Hermione asked. "I'm so clumsy..."

Hermione was the least clumsy person he knew. But, if she wasn't going to tell him, he wouldn't push it.

"You said yesterday that someone was teaching at Hogwarts that I wouldn't believe," Hermione changed the subject.

"What's Hogwarts?" Bella asked.

"It's a school in Scotland," Harry told Bella.

"That's a funny name," Bella said.

"If you think that's funny," Harry said leaning in and making a goofy face at Bella. "What do you think about this name...Ronald Weasley?"

Bella collapsed in a fit of giggles.

Hermione choked on her coffee. "Ron? Ron Weasley is a professor at Hogwarts?"

"Fly--" Harry began but Hermione started coughing violently. "Bella," she wheezed. "Go ask for a glass of water, please."

"Okay," Bella said sliding off of her chair and walking to the counter.

"She doesn't know anything about magic, does she?" Harry asked.

"No," Hermione said. "Nothing but the stories I've told her- and she thinks they're made up."

"And I take it your husband's a Muggle?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione replied tightly. "He is."

"How'd you meet him?" Harry asked, not really sure he wanted to know.

"We've known each other for years," Hermione said. "And when I... came home... we got together."

"You never mentioned him to us before," Harry said thoughtfully. "Ron and me, I mean."

Hermione only shrugged.

Bella came back with a glass of water for her mother. "Here, Mummy."

"Thanks baby," Hermione said.

Bella sat back down and looked at Harry. "Do you have a little girl or a little boy?"

"I don't have any children," Harry told her. "I'm not married."

Bella giggled. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

Harry shook his head.

Hermione took a bite of her croissant. She did not want to give the impression that she cared about his personal life. Thankfully, Bella was asking the questions she had wanted to ask.

"Do you have a crush on anyone?" Bella inquired.

Harry chuckled. "What do you know about crushes, Isabella Conaghan?"

"Nothing," Bella turned red.

"Uh-huh," Harry teased.

Hermione smiled slightly. "Come on, Bella. You can tell him about Billy."

"Mummy!" Bella exclaimed.

"Billy, eh?" Harry asked. "I'm meeting with a Billy later today..."

"He's Bella's best friend," Hermione told Harry.

"Good to know," Harry winked at the little girl.

Bella grinned before taking a bite of her donut.

Glad to have diverted Harry's attention from the bruises on her arm and the topic of magic, Hermione told him things about some of the other teachers and caretakers at the orphanage.

Bella chimed in occasionally with her own comments, especially when Hermione started talking about her teacher, Mrs. Morando.

"She's really, really nice." Bella said.

"It's a small staff," Hermione told him. "But we work together and help out wherever and whenever we can."

"Sounds like a good team to be part of." Harry nodded.

"It is," Hermione agreed.

He wanted to say especially since she was there, but held his tongue. "Well..." he began instead. "We should get going or we'll be late."

"Right," Hermione said gathering up their trash. "Thank you for breakfast, Harry."

"I'm glad you both came." Harry said.

"Thanks, Harry," Bella said beaming at him.

"You're very welcome, Miss Bella." Harry grinned at her.

Hermione grabbed Bella's backpack. "So, um, Ron's really a professor?"

"Sure is," Harry said. "And dating Luna Lovegood."

"Really?" Hermione asked shaking her head. "Wow..."

"They seem really happy together," Harry said.

The three of them headed out of the bakery.

"She always did fancy him," Hermione commented.

"How do you know, Mummy?" Bella asked.

"I was at school with them," Hermione told her. "And I could tell by the way Luna acted around Ron."

"Oh," Bella nodded.

"What about Ginny?" Hermione asked.

Harry shrugged and shook his head. There was no sense in going into that now.

Bella reached for Harry's hand. "How long are you going to be here?"

"As long as I need to be," Harry told her.

Bella smiled. "I'm glad."

"Me too," Harry smiled at her.

Hermione stole a glance at Harry. How did he do this? Bella didn't even know him and already she was completely charmed by him.

"Maybe you can come for dinner," Bella chattered. "Tilly's the bestest cook EVER!"

"Harry's going to be very busy, sweetheart," Hermione said.

"I imagine I can make time for dinner," Harry said wryly.

Hermione thought about this for a few moments. If Daman found out, there would be hell to pay.

"Just let me know," Harry told her.

"I will," Hermione said as the approached the school. Bella caught sight of Billy and she ran toward her friend.

"Maybe we can talk more later," Harry said. "I'd like to catch up, Hermione."

"I don't think that's such a good idea, Harry," Hermione said looking down at the ground.

"Why?" he pressed. "Hermione... why can't we try to get back our friendship? You just left and--"

"I didn't just leave," Hermione said feeling tears well up in her eyes. "You left ME first."

"I never got to tell you about that," Harry said. "Can I at least have the chance to try and explain?"

"It's water under the bridge," Hermione said quietly. "What would it change?"

"I don't know," Harry said. "But I've missed you."

She had missed him, too. But, him being here complicated things. If Damian found out, she could lose everything.

"I'm not the person I was back then," Hermione told him.

"Please," Harry gazed at her.

"Tonight," Hermione said. "You can come over for dinner tonight."

"Yeah?" Harry's face brightened.

"Yeah," Hermione said softly.

"Fantastic," Harry said. "Tonight... we can really talk."

Hermione forced a smile.

"I'll talk to you later," Harry said. "I've got my meeting with Dr. McGraw."

Hermione nodded. "You can go home with Bella and me at the end of the day."

"I can't wait," Harry sent her a grin. "See you later."

"See you," Hermione said hurrying away from him before she could change her mind.

Harry watched her go and felt like he'd finally started to get through to her. "Things might work out after all," he said to himself.

He reached for his phone. There was one thing he needed and he knew just who to contact. He dialled the number. "Nev?"

"Hi," Neville said warily.

Harry sighed. "I'm not going to chew you out. You had your reasons for keeping quiet."

"I know," Neville said. "I got another earful from Hermione. My ears are still ringing from it."

"Things are actually looking up," Harry said telling Neville about breakfast.

"That's good," Neville said. "I'm glad you two are talking."

"Me too," Harry said. "I need a favour, Nev."

"What's that?" Neville asked.

"I need you to find out everything you can on a Dr. Damian Conaghan," Harry told him.

"Hermione's husband?" Neville asked. "Why?"

"I don't have time to get into it," Harry replied. "Just let me know what you find out."

"O-kay." Neville said. "Anything else?"

"No," Harry answered. "Thanks, Neville."

"I'll be in touch, then." Neville said.

"Thanks mate," Harry said.

He stuffed his mobile into his pocket and headed upstairs.

Dr. McGraw was waiting for him. "Good morning, Mr. Potter."

"Morning," Harry replied. "Lovely day."

"Yes it is," Dr. McGraw said. "I trust you had a good evening?"

"I did, thank you." Harry sat down. "I had some ideas on what to do with the computers I'd like to bring in."

"Oh?" Dr. McGraw asked.

Harry handed her the notes he'd written down along with a chart detailing the programs the children would be able to learn.

"This is amazing, Mr. Potter," the headmistress said.

"Thanks," Harry said. "Being an orphan myself, I thought about the things I wanted to talk about when I was younger, along with the things I wanted to play and learn."

Dr. McGraw smiled. "Mr. Potter, I don't even know where to begin to thank you."

"Just doing my job," he smiled.

"You're just what we needed is what you are," Dr. McGraw said. "I've pursued funding for years, but everyone's turned us down."

"I guess this is just a case close to my own heart," Harry replied. "I really want to help as much as I can."

"The children are going to benefit from hearing your story," Dr. McGraw said thoughtfully. "They're going to see that with hard work and a good education, they can make something of their lives."

"That's my goal," Harry nodded.

"I was also thinking we could expand the library," Dr. McGraw told him. "All of our books are second hand."

"I'll be happy to work on funding, but I think Mrs. Conaghan would enjoy a project like that." Harry said. "I've spoken with her a few times and she told me she enjoys reading."

"Very much so," Dr. McGraw said. "In fact, it would be a project the two of you could collaborate on. She has some wonderful ideas. Dr. Conaghan was going to make a donation, but he changed his mind at the last minute."

"Really?" Harry asked.

Dr. McGraw nodded. "Mrs. Conaghan was very apologetic. Apparently the good doctor sets aside money each year for a charity and he decided to fund another one this year."

"I see," Harry nodded. "Well... I'll have to talk to her and see how much she'd like to bring in."

"Fantastic," Dr. McGraw said. "Now, I was thinking I could show you the library now and then let you speak with one of the classes."

"Great," Harry nodded.

Harry and Dr. McGraw talked more about Harry's plans as they headed toward the library. She opened up the door and Harry frowned. This was a library? There were two tables and three shelves of books.

"I know," Dr. McGraw said. "It's tiny."

"And the books you have---?" Harry asked.

"Came from Mrs. Conaghan's personal collection, mostly," Dr McGraw told him.

"I see," Harry stepped in to browse the titles.

"We don't even have a proper librarian," Dr. McGraw told him. "Michelle fills in when she can."

"Maybe we can work on changing that too," Harry told her.

"It's not really in our budget," Dr. McGraw said regretfully.

"It could be," Harry replied.

The headmistress grinned at him. "Mr. Potter, you really are going above and beyond."

"Like I said, I have a personal interest," Harry said.

"If only more people were as generous with their time and money as you, we'd be the best school in South Africa," Dr. McGraw said.

"We just could be," Harry grinned. "I certainly hope to do my part."

"Have you ever thought of a career in teaching?" Dr. McGraw asked him.

"It's crossed my mind," Harry said.

"You should," Dr. McGraw said.

"I enjoy the counselling," Harry said. "But perhaps down the line, teaching will come into play."

Dr. McGraw stopped in front of a set of doors. "This is Mrs. Morando's classroom."

"Bella's class," Harry recalled.

Dr. McGraw nodded and held open the door.

Mrs. Morando stopped teaching and smiled at them. Bella waved excitedly from her seat.

Harry grinned at her.

"Class," Mrs. Morando said. "We have a special guest visiting us today. This is Harry Potter and he's come a long way to see all of you."

"Good morning," Harry greeted them.

"Good morning," the class echoed.

"At some point in the near future, I'll be speaking with all of you," Harry said. "Just a casual get to know you type of thing."

"Bella said you were an orphan too," a brown-haired boy said. From the way Bella was looking at him, the boy had to be Billy, Harry thought.

"That's right," Harry said. "So if you have questions for me, I'll be happy to answer what I can."

Nearly every hand in the classroom shot up in the air. Harry laughed. "Okay, how about you?"

"What did you do when you thought about your parents?" a girl near the back asked.

"I was only a year old when they died," Harry told them. "What I knew of them, I heard from other people. When I think about them, I think about the type of people they were and I hope that I can be the type of son that they would have been proud of."

"Who did you live with then?" a boy near the window asked.

"I lived with my aunt and uncle," Harry said. "But they already had a child of their own and I felt like a burden most of the time."

"You never had to live in an orphanage?" Billy asked.

Harry shook his head. "No."

"Then you don't really know what this is like," Billy looked back at him.

"I know more than you think," Harry said kneeling in front of Billy's desk. "You have people here who care about you and who want you to feel safe and happy. I never had that growing up with my aunt and uncle."

"I guess," Billy replied.

"When I was 11 years old, I was able to go to a school where I found all of that," Harry told them. "I had friends for the first time in my life. They became my family."

"That's cool," the girl from the back said.

Bella hesitantly raised her hand.

"Yes, Bella?" Harry asked.

"Your uncle was really mean?" Bella asked.

"Yes," he nodded.

"Did he ever hit you?" Bella asked quietly.

"Why do you ask?" Harry's eyebrows knit together.

Bella shrugged. "I was curious."

"He really wasn't the nicest person," Harry said carefully. "But... he never hit me."

"Oh," Bella said looking down at her desk.

Harry wanted to ask her more but knew it wasn't the time.

Harry took a few more questions from the students.

"Mr. Potter will be calling you in one by one to talk with you this week," Dr. McGraw said. "We hope you'll be open and honest. He's here to help."

"I'll see you lot around," Harry promised.

A chorus of goodbyes rose from the children and Harry's eyes met Billy's. He saw some anger in the young boy's face and wondered if he'd be able to get through to him.

"That went well," Dr. McGraw commented when they left the classroom.

"Better than I thought," Harry said.

"They'll open up a lot more when you're with them one on one," Dr. McGraw said.

"I hope so," Harry said. "Especially Billy-- seems like he's holding back."

"His mother abandoned him when he was a baby," Dr. McGraw said. "He's grown up in an orphanage."

"So he's not necessarily an orphan," Harry replied thoughtfully.

"I think he holds out hope that one day his mother will come back for him," Dr. McGraw said. "When his father died, she wasn't able to cope."

"I see," Harry nodded. "I'll take a bit of extra time with him."

"That's what he needs," Dr. McGraw said.

"I should start getting all those files sorted," Harry replied. "I'll also have the computers shipped in by the end of the week."

"Thank you, Mr. Potter," Dr. McGraw said. "If you need me, you know where I am."

"Thank you," Harry smiled at her.

On his way back to his office, he thought about Bella's question and about the bruises on Hermione's arm.

He wondered exactly what Neville would be able to dig up, and just how GOOD the good doctor really was.