Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Here's another chapter for you guys. Please take a few seconds to let us know what you think!

I Don't Want To Talk About It- Rod Stewart

I can tell by your eyes that you've prob'bly been cryin' forever,
and the stars in the sky don't mean nothin' to you, they're a mirror.
I don't want to talk about it, how you broke my heart.
If I stay here just a little bit longer,
If I stay here, won't you listen to my heart, whoa, heart?

Hermione had instructed Tilly to prepare a roast for dinner and also told the cook not to breathe a word to Damian about their dinner guest that night. The less contact Damian knew she had with Harry the better.

Bella was excited about their dinner guest and she'd been busy drawing him a picture.

"Does this look like Buckbeak, Mummy?" Bella asked holding up the picture for her mother to see.

"Yes it does, sweetheart." Hermione said.

Bella beamed at her. "I hope Harry likes it."

"I'm sure he will," Hermione told her. "Why don't you go wash up? He'll be here any minute."

"Okay," Bella said standing up. "Don't show him the picture if he comes, okay? I want to give it to him!"

"I won't say a word," Hermione promised.

Bella hurried upstairs and Hermione sighed. This was a bad idea and she knew it. If Damian ever heard about this, there would be hell to pay. Hermione trusted Tilly though.

She looked at herself in the mirror and knew she'd taken special care in her appearance that night.

She wanted him to think she was beautiful. A long time ago, that had been one of her greatest wishes. For her best friend to see her as something more than just a brainy bookworm.

"Don't be a fool," she told herself. "This is as good as you're going to get."

She wasn't as beautiful as Ginny Weasley or Lavender Brown or the Patil twins. No wonder Harry had never noticed her.

"Madame, I have everything ready to serve," Tilly said from the door.

"Thank you," Hermione said smiling at her. "Our guest should be here any minute."

"I'll get the cocktails ready," Tilly nodded respectfully.

The doorbell chimed and Hermione took a deep breath.

Harry stood outside, dressed in a nice shirt and tie. He held a small bouquet of flowers in his hand.

He was as nervous as a teenager right before his first date. But, Harry reminded himself, this wasn't a date. Hermione was married and if the outside was any indication lived in one of the nicest homes he'd ever seen.

A moment later, Hermione opened the door. "Hi," she said softly.

"Hi," Harry said, his breath catching his throat.

"Come on in," Hermione stepped back.

"These are for Bella," Harry held up the flowers. "I hope she'll like them."

"She will," Hermione replied. "She loves flowers and those happen to be her favourites."

"Great," Harry smiled at her. "You look lovely."

Hermione blushed. She was wearing a long-sleeved red wrap-around dress. "Thank you. You look nice, too."

Bella came down the stairs. "HARRY!" she squealed happily.

Harry grinned and held out the bouquet. "For you..."

"Really?" Bella asked, delighted.

"Really, really," Harry said handing them to her.

"What do you say, love?" Hermione prompted.

"Thank you," Bella said.

"I'll go and put them in water for you," Hermione said taking the flowers from her daughter. "We'll put them in your room."

"Right by my bed, okay Mummy?" Bella asked.

Hermione grinned. "Right by your bed. I'll be right back. Why don't you show Harry what you made for him?"

"Okay," Bella reached for his hand.

Harry smiled down at the little girl. "That's a pretty dress you have on, Bella."

Bella giggled. "Mummy got it for me."

Harry grinned. "Your mum picked very well."

"Here," Bella picked up a piece of paper. "Mummy said it looks just like Buckbeak!"

"It does," Harry said taking the paper from her. "Wow, Bella. This is fantastic!"

Bella blushed happily.

"I'm going to put this up in my office," Harry told her.

"You are?" Bella asked.

"Absolutely," Harry said. "The walls are completely bare and I think this picture is just what it needs."

Bella grinned at him. "I'll draw more if you want me to."

"I'd love that," Harry said grinning back at her.

Hermione came back downstairs.

"Mummy, Harry liked my picture!" Bella exclaimed.

"I told you he would," Hermione smiled at her.

"Something smells delicious," Harry said.

"Tilly made a roast," Hermione said. "So I hope you're hungry."

"Starving," Harry replied. He looked around the room. "You have a very nice home, Hermione."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you."

Harry followed them into the dining room.

"I sit here," Bella told him. "And Mummy over there, and when Daddy's home he sits at the end."

"Where would you like me to sit?" Harry asked her.

"Across from me is fine," Hermione told him.

"Sounds good to me," Harry said taking his seat.

As soon as Hermione sat down, Tilly began serving their meal.

"Tilly, this is Harry," Bella said to the cook.

"Monsieur," the cook nodded her head.

"It's nice to meet you," Harry said politely. "This looks really great."

"Thank you," Tilly said before ducking out of the room.

Hermione was staring at Harry and he caught her eye.

"Um, Bella said that you spoke to her class today," Hermione said hastily.

Harry nodded. "I spoke to several classes today."

"Dr. McGraw said that you'd toured the library," Hermione said. Every single time she thought about the library she felt angry. Damian had promised that he'd donate money to improve and expand it, but he'd changed his mind because he said Hermione had been insubordinate. She'd reminded him she wasn't his employee which had ended up with a broken arm for Hermione.

Harry nodded. "We've decided to set the computers up there, and I'm also planning on stocking the library with new novels and hiring a full time librarian."

Hermione grinned. "Really?"

"I was actually hoping you'd like to make a list of the books you think we need." Harry said.

"I'd love to," Hermione said. "This is---this is very generous of you, Harry."

"It's just a start," Harry replied.

"A very important start," Hermione said. "Thank you."

Harry nodded and smiled. "I really want to do what I can to make that place a pleasure rather than a burden on people."

Hermione looked across the table at him. That was exactly what she'd wanted to do from the moment she'd started teaching there.

"Daddy wants to send me away," Bella said quietly.

"What?" Harry asked.

"Boarding school," Hermione explained. "But nothing's been decided yet."

"Sent to boarding school?" Harry asked. "Why?"

"He---he thinks she needs a better education," Hermione said quietly. "But---"

"I don't want to leave my school!" Bella exclaimed. "Never."

"Its okay, Bella." Hermione said. "It's... not going to happen for another few years yet."

"He's not going to change his mind," Bella said quietly. "He never does."

Harry looked over at Hermione.

"You're not going away to boarding school," Hermione said. "Not if I have anything to say about it, sweetheart."

Bella didn't look reassured, but returned to her meal.

"This is really good," Harry said. "It beats room service, that's for sure."

"A home cooked meal always does," Hermione said.

"I don't get many of those," Harry admitted.

"You can come eat every night," Bella piped up.

"Isabella," Hermione said. "You know that Mr. Potter has more important things to do than eat dinner with us."

Bella nodded. "I'm sorry Mummy."

"It's okay," Hermione reassured her.

Harry smiled. "Thank you for the invitation, Miss Bella."

Bella grinned. "Anytime."

"Why don't you have the opportunity to eat more home-cooked meals?" Hermione asked him. "I'm sure Molly Weasley would be all too happy to cook for you."

"Who's Molly Weasley?" Bella asked.

"She's our friend Ron's mother," Harry explained. "She has seven children---Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron and Ginny."

"I thought you told Daddy you didn't know him before he came here," Bella was confused and looked at her mother.

Harry looked across the table at Hermione. Why would she lie to her husband about him?

"Bella," Hermione turned red.

"Hermione?" Harry asked.

"It's nothing," Hermione took a deep breath and grabbed her glass of wine.

"Well," Harry said. "In answer to your question, I don't have many home cooked meals because I've lived out of a suitcase these last few years."

He'd gotten Hermione out of this but he would ask her about it when they were alone.

"Oh," Bella replied.

"I imagine you've seen some great places," Hermione commented.

"I've been all over." Harry nodded. "Recently I was in America, on the East Coast."

"What were you doing there?" Hermione asked.

"Basically the same thing I'm doing here," Harry told her.

"Have you ever been to Disney World?" Bella asked.

Harry shook his head. "I'm afraid not."

Bella frowned. "I've wanted to go there since forever!"

"Maybe when Daddy's not so busy, love." Hermione said.

Bella did not want to go there with her father. When she thought of going, she thought of it being just her and her mother.

"I'm sure you'll get to go someday." Harry said. "I heard its loads of fun."

"It is," Bella said, launching into a detailed description of all that she knew about the amusement park.

"Wow," Harry grinned. "Certainly sounds like you know everything there is to know!"

"She's a reader," Hermione said proudly.

Harry wanted to say just like her mother, but held his tongue.

"Reading is my most favourite thing to do," Bella said. "Next is drawing and then next is playing checkers with Billy."

"Billy," Harry nodded. "He's an interesting young man."

"He's the best," Bella said loyally.

Hermione smiled. "He certainly looks out for you."

Bella grinned. "He does even though I beat him at checkers every single time!"

Both Harry and Hermione laughed at that.

"That's what friends do," Harry said looking pointedly at Hermione. "They look out for each other."

Hermione pressed her lips together.

"You and I both know I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for you," Harry said. "You saved my life so many times I've lost count."

Hermione knew this conversation was pumping her daughter full of questions. "How about some dessert and coffee?" she asked.

"Sure," Harry replied.

"Tilly made pecan pie," Bella said. "It's yummy, yummy, yummy."

"I take it you like it then?" Harry asked teasingly.

"My most favourite." Bella said.

Tilly served the coffee and pie and Bella looked at her mother. "Can I bring a piece to Billy tomorrow?"

"We'll see," Hermione said.

"This is even better than Molly's," Harry said after he'd taken a bite of pie. "But don't tell her I said that."

Hermione laughed. "Your secret is safe with me. Besides, I'll never see her, so you have nothing to worry about."

"You might," Harry said.

"That part of my life is over and done with," Hermione said firmly. "My life is here."

"Where did you live before?" Bella asked.

"London with your grandparents," Hermione told her.

"How come we never see them?" Bella asked.

"You don't see your parents?" Harry asked raising an eyebrow.

Hermione exhaled. "Bella... once dessert is finished; you should start getting ready for bed."

"But, Mummy---" Bella protested.

"You were up early," Hermione reminded her.

"And it's a school day tomorrow," Harry chimed in.

Bella pouted.

"How about I promise to tell you a story before you go to bed?" Harry asked her.

Bella's face brightened. "YOU know stories?"

"Do I know stories?" Harry asked her. "I know a great one about a giant named Grawp."

"A giant?" Bella's eyes gleamed. "I love fantasy stories so, so much!"

Harry shared a look with Hermione.

"Well, go upstairs and change into your pyjamas," Hermione told her. "And brush your teeth. Harry and I will be upstairs in a few minutes, okay?"

"Okay Mummy," Bella said, scampering upstairs.

"She's so much like you," Harry commented.

"I know," Hermione gazed after her daughter.

"Your husband wants to send her away to boarding school?" Harry asked.

"When she's older," Hermione said.

"When she gets her Hogwarts letter you mean," Harry said.

"She's not going to Hogwarts." Hermione said firmly.

"What if she's magical just like you were?" Harry asked. "Hermione---"

"It doesn't matter," Hermione stood up.

"Why did you turn your back on it?" Harry asked looking at her.

"What difference does it make?" Hermione asked.

Harry stood up too and walked around the table to get to her. "It makes all the difference in the world."

"Just leave it be, Harry." Hermione looked at him.

Harry decided to drop it, for now.

"I'm sure Bella will be waiting to hear her story," Hermione said. "Her room is the third on the left."

Harry nodded. "And afterwards, you and I are going to talk. Really talk, Hermione."

"We'll see," Hermione replied.

Harry headed upstairs while Hermione cleared the table. The telephone rang and Hermione walked quickly into the sitting room. She picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hermione," Damian said coolly.

"Damian," Hermione sank into her chair.

"How are you?" Damian asked.

"Fine," Hermione said. "Just... finishing dinner. I'm about to tuck Bella into bed."

"How is our little angel?" Damian asked.

"Fine," Hermione replied. "How... how's Madagascar?"

"Good so far," Damian replied. "I might have to extend my visit."

"For how long?" Hermione asked. "The children here need you."

Damian didn't answer for a few moments. "Hermione, I know very well where I am needed. I don't think my medical career is any of your concern. You don't see me telling you how to teach those brats, do you?"

"They aren't brats," Hermione said.

"I can't believe this," Damian said angrily. "I call to check on my wife and you act like this?"

"Damian please don't be like this," Hermione said.

"It's your bloody fault, Hermione," Damian shot back.

"I'm sorry," Hermione apologised.

"I have to go," Damian said.

"Hurry home," Hermione said. "As soon as you can."

"We'll see," Damian said before abruptly ending the call.

Hermione sighed and rubbed at her forehead.

She walked upstairs to check on Harry and Bella.

Her daughter was in her bed hanging on Harry's every word.

"Well," Harry was saying. "The boy and girl were really scared, but Hagrid told them not to be afraid because Grawp was completely harmless."

"Was he?" Bella asked.

"For the most part," Harry grinned. "He was pretty big."

"And he was Hagrid's brother?" Bella asked. "Wow!"

"That's right," Harry nodded "Next time I'll tell you about the Giant Squid."

"Ooooh," Bella said excitedly. "Thanks, Harry. You tell the best stories!"

"Well it helps to have a great listener," Harry told her.

Hermione stepped into the room. "Lights out, Bella."

"Okay Mummy," Bella said, pulling her covers up.

Hermione gave her a kiss. "Sweet dreams, my Bella."

"I love you Mummy," Bella said.

"I love you too," Hermione said touching her daughter's cheek. "More than anything in this world."

Harry waited for Hermione in the hallway. "How about a nightcap?" he asked.

"Sure," Hermione replied.

"I really do want to talk," Harry said. "I think there's so much we need to say."

"Yeah," Hermione said walking ahead of him down the stairs. She was afraid she'd divulge something that he didn't need to know. She'd never tell him about what her life with Damian was really like.

"I've been looking for you for ten years," Harry said following her down.

Hermione stopped so suddenly that he nearly bumped into her. She turned around. "What?"

"I know what I did was wrong," Harry said. "But when you weren't there when we came back..."

"Why did you leave me?" Hermione interjected.

"I didn't want anything to happen to you," Harry confessed.

"Why?" Hermione asked. "You didn't have a problem bringing Ron along. I was just as much involved in this as he was! Damn it, Harry! I could have helped!"

"I know," Harry said. "I know."

Hermione ran a hand through her hair in frustration. "That night before you left, I knew something was up. I kept waiting for you to tell me. I always thought you could tell me anything---"

"I tried," Harry said. "I chickened out."

"You could face a dragon, but you couldn't tell me?" Hermione asked folding her arms.

"It was complicated," Harry refused to tell her his feelings now that he knew she was married.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You know why don't you try and sell that to Ginny Weasley? She'd buy that, but I'm a little smarter than that, Harry."

"I know," Harry said. "That's why I can't get into it now. I just wanted you somewhere safe. I couldn't risk Voldemort using you."

"He could have done the same thing to Ron!" Hermione pointed out.

"That's why it's complicated," Harry muttered.

Hermione groaned in frustration. "You are driving me crazy, Harry!"

Harry sighed. There was no way he could tell her exactly why he hadn't wanted her there. "So tell me about Damian."

"Let's go in the sitting room," Hermione said. "I'll get us something to drink and we can talk."

"Sure," Harry nodded.

Hermione hurried into the kitchen, happy to have the chance go get her bearings. He hadn't wanted her there because he'd wanted her safe? There was something more to it than that and he wasn't going to tell her what it was. Nothing made her angrier than not knowing the answers.

"Tilly will you please bring us some after dinner drinks in the sitting room?" she asked.

"Yes, of course," Tilly replied. "Are you okay, Madame?"

"Fine Tilly, thank you." Hermione said.

In the sitting room, Harry was looking at the photographs. The happy family, Harry thought sadly.

"Drinks will be ready in a moment," Hermione said from behind him.

Harry turned around. "Oh. Okay."

"So..." she said. "What else have you been up to?"

"Working and traveling," Harry said sitting down on the sofa. "Not much else, to tell you the truth."

"You and Ginny?" Hermione asked. "You haven't... resumed?"

Harry shook his head. "No. She's actually engaged, Hermione. She and Dean Thomas."

"Oh," Hermione said. "Good for them."

"She's grown up a lot," Harry told her.

"That's nice to hear," Hermione replied.

Harry looked Hermione. "You used to be friends."

"She changed," Hermione said.

"You were different around me after she and I got together," Harry remembered.

"Because you were weird," Hermione remarked. "You changed around her. It was like nothing else mattered."

"I wasn't weird," Harry protested. "I thought she was---I don't know. I saw her differently all of a sudden. I thought she made me happy. But, you know, she was jealous of you."

"She was?" Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"She was threatened by you," Harry told her. "Because you and I were so close."

"I always thought she had you under a love potion, to be honest." Hermione said.

Harry looked at her. "She did."

"What?" Hermione asked, her jaw dropping.

"I found out a few years after we were together," Harry confessed. "I was pretty pissed for awhile."

Hermione shook her head in disbelief. She had thought that was the explanation for Harry's sudden interest in Ginny, but she'd never in a million years dreamed that Ginny would have actually gone through with that. "Did you tell anyone? Ron? Mrs. Weasley?"

"I told Ron," Harry answered. "I could have made a big deal of it, but why bother? She learned her lesson and it's over with. After everything I've gone through... it just didn't seem to matter in the long run."

Hermione did not want to tell him how happy she was that he and Ginny were not together. If she was being honest, she'd thought about that a lot over the years. Despite her anger toward her best friend, she never would have wished that fate upon him. Poor Dean Thomas, Hermione mused. She wondered if he knew what he was getting himself into.

"So tell me more about Damian," Harry said.

"What do you want to know?" Hermione asked.

"Anything you want to tell me," Harry replied.

Hermione leaned back on the sofa. "Like I told you before, he and I have known each other for years. Our parents kind of held out hope that one day we'd get together, but I always thought he was far too arrogant."

"What made you change your mind?" Harry asked, not sure if he wanted to hear her answer.

"My parents sent me away to another boarding school after I left Hogwarts," Hermione told him. "It was near Oxford where he was just beginning his studies. He visited nearly every weekend and made me feel like I was the most important person in the world. He didn't see me like anyone else had."

Harry nodded. "I see..."

"He swept me off my feet at a time when I was feeling about as low as could possibly be," Hermione said softly.

"Because of me," Harry added quietly.

"It doesn't matter anymore," Hermione said. "Things worked out like they did for a reason. I can't think about 'what if' and 'if only', Harry."

"I guess you're right," Harry gazed at her.

Hermione looked back at him. "So, what about you? Has there been anyone special in your life?"

Harry shook his head. "No one."

"I find that hard to believe," Hermione said before taking a sip of her drink.

"There just isn't anyone who's caught my eye," Harry replied.

"Or slipped you another love potion," Hermione said dryly.

"Very funny," the side of Harry's mouth quirked up.

"You know that entire time I just wanted to wipe that smug look off of her face?" Hermione asked.

Harry had to laugh.

Hermione laughed, too. She never thought she'd be here with him laughing like old friends. It was...nice.

Harry took a sip of his drink and looked over at her. "So you're happy?" he asked.

Hermione did not answer right away. "Yes," she finally said. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Just making sure," Harry said. "All I want for you is to be happy."

"You don't have to worry about me," Hermione said looking at him.

"I think I'd always worry," Harry said. "The way you always worried about me when we were in school."

"I did, you know," Hermione said softly. "I always did."

"Which is why I lived as long as I did." he said.

Hermione touched his arm. "You had more to do with that than I did, Harry."

"I don't think so," Harry said.

"I do," Hermione said. "You're a great wizard, Harry."

Harry smiled back at her. "I remember you telling me that same thing before I faced Voldemort for the first time."

"That seems like so long ago," Harry said. "You know, if you're worried about dangers in sending Bella to Hogwarts, you don't have to be."

Hermione shook her head. "Harry, Damian doesn't know anything about magic. He'd never let Bella go."

"Why not?" Harry asked.

"He wouldn't understand," Hermione said. "Besides, she might not even be magical, so this is a moot point."

"Hermione you were one powerful witch," Harry said. "Bella's got to have inclinations."

Hermione fought off tears. "It's not possible, Harry."

"How?" Harry pressed.

"He wants her to follow in his footsteps," Hermione said looking away.

"But if he doesn't know about magic--" Harry argued.

"He wouldn't believe it," Hermione told him. "He wouldn't understand."

"Is he that closed minded?" Harry asked.

Hermione glared at him. There was enough truth in his words though, Hermione thought. A part of her wanted to tell him exactly how her husband was, but she knew if she did, she'd lose everything. "Let's just drop it, okay? Bella's only six. It's not like we'd have to worry about it awhile anyway."

"Truth be told, I'm surprised you gave up magic," Harry replied.

"I don't even have a wand anymore," Hermione told him. "The last I knew, it was in my parents' attic along with my old school books."

"Why?" Harry asked, shaking his head. "You are a brilliant witch."

"I closed that chapter of my life when I left Hogwarts, Harry," Hermione said setting her glass aside. "There wasn't any point, was there? I married a Muggle and we moved here."

"Lots of wizards and witches marry Muggles and still practise magic," Harry objected.

"Why does it matter so much to you?" Hermione asked.

"Because I hate to see you let such a gift go to waste," Harry told her.

"You sound like Neville," Hermione told him.

"He is one of my best mates," Harry shrugged.

"I'm glad," Hermione said genuinely. "You and Ron weren't always that nice to him."

"I always liked Neville," Harry said.

"I know that, but you sometimes treated him like he was a pest," Hermione reminded him. "All he wanted was to be your friend."

"You know everyone changes as they get older," Harry said. "What made you keep in touch with him over the years but not the rest of us?"

"He never left me, did he?" Hermione asked without thinking.

Harry stared at her. "Hermione-"

"I'm sorry," Hermione said. "I shouldn't have said that."

"We have a lot to say about that night," Harry told her.

Hermione nodded. "You know, I actually thought you might have---nothing."

"Might have what?" Harry asked.

She laughed nervously. She was not going to tell him that she had briefly though that night that he'd come up there to tell her he fancied her, too.

"Come on," Harry said. "What's going on in that brilliant mind of yours, Hermione?"

"Nothing," Hermione said. "You know, I should really go check on Bella."

"Oh," Harry said. "Sure."

"I'll be back in a moment," Hermione rushed out of the room.

Harry drained the rest of his glass. It was one step forward and two steps back with Hermione. Just when he thought he was making progress, something happened to pull her back. He stood up and walked over to the fireplace again. He picked up the photograph of Hermione on her wedding day.

He smiled sadly at the look on her face. She had a radiant smile, but there was something in her eyes that suggested she wasn't completely happy. Damian had his arms wrapped tightly around her waist.

"Excuse me," a female voice said from behind him. He turned to see Tilly. "I was wondering if you needed another drink?"

Harry shook his head. "No, thanks. Um, Tilly---can I ask you a question?"

"Certainly, sir." Tilly replied.

"You've worked here for a long time?" Harry asked her.

"I came here with the Conaghans," Tilly told him. "From France."

Harry had not known that Hermione had lived in France. "And how do you like Dr. Conaghan?"

"He takes good care of everyone, sir." Tilly replied.

"So you like working for him and Mrs. Conaghan?" Harry asked. He could sense the woman was hiding something.

"They pay me well," Tilly nodded.

"Dr. Conaghan travels a bit, does he?" Harry asked.

"Yes he does," Tilly said. "If you'll excuse me sir, I need to finish my work."

"Of course," Harry said. "And thank you for dinner. It was delicious."

Tilly nodded respectfully and darted out of the room. Harry could almost see her breathe a sigh of relief and wondered exactly what secrets were being kept in this house.

Upstairs, Hermione was checking on Bella and smiled when she saw her daughter's bedside light was on and she was reading. "I thought you were asleep, miss."

"I just wanted to read more about dragons," Bella said wistfully. "I really wish they were real, Mummy."

Hermione sat down on the edge of her daughter's bed. "I know you do, sweetheart."

"Is Harry still here?" Bella asked.

Hermione nodded. "You like him, don't you, baby?"

"A lot," Bella nodded.

Hermione smiled. "He likes you too."

"I wish he was my daddy," Bella said quietly.

Hermione looked at her daughter. "You---you hardly know him, love."

"But he's so nice," Bella said. "And he likes dragons and unicorns and things. Just like me."

"He does," Hermione agreed. "But, he's not your daddy. Your daddy loves you very much."

Bella only closed her book. "I think I'll go to sleep now Mummy."

"Good idea," Hermione said hugging her tightly. "I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you too," Bella buried her face in Hermione's shoulder a moment.

"I know it doesn't always seem like he does," Hermione said. "But he does love us. In his own way..."

Bella didn't say anything. She was just glad to have her mother to herself for a week.

Hermione pulled away and grinned at her daughter. "You know what I was thinking?"

"What?" Bella asked.

"Tomorrow, after school," Hermione said. "You and I could go for a swim."

"We can?" Bella brightened up.

Hermione nodded. "We haven't done that in ages, have we?"

"Nope," Bella said. "I can't wait!"

"Me either," Hermione replied, thinking at the last minute about the bruises on her arm.

Bella snuggled down under her covers. "Good night, Mummy."

"Good night, my sweet girl," Hermione said giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Sweet dreams."

"Good night," Bella grinned at her.