Unofficial Portkey Archive

Time After Time by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Time After Time

Amynoelle and Heaven

Electric Feel - MGMT

All along the western front

People line up to receive

She got the current in her hand

Just shock you like you won't believe

Sun in the Amazon

With the voltage running through her skin

Standing there with nothing on

She gonna teach me how to swim

I said ooh girl

Shock me like an electric eel

Baby girl

Turn me on with your electric feel

I said ooh girl

Shock me like an electric eel

Baby girl

Turn me on with your electric feel

Hermione turned out the lamp and left the door ajar. She gave her daughter one last look before she headed back downstairs.

"Everything all right?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "She was reading...about dragons."

Harry smiled. "She sure does like magic, doesn't she?"

"She also likes you," Hermione told him. "Very much so."

"She's a wonderful little girl," Harry said truthfully. "Reminds me of you."

Hermione smiled. "She's not as bossy as I was."

"There's a relief," Harry joked.

"Very funny," Hermione said punching him on the arm playfully.

Harry smiled at her. "For a minute here, it really feels like nothing's changed."

"Things have though," Hermione said quietly. "We're not the same people we were, Harry."

"But we don't have to be enemies," Harry told her.

"We can't be friends," Hermione said. "Damian wouldn't like it."

"Why wouldn't he?" Harry asked. "He doesn't even know me."

Hermione looked away.

"Tell me what's going on," Harry said intently.

"It's nothing," Hermione said. "I just---you wouldn't be here right now if he wasn't out of town."

"Why?" Harry asked, dumbfounded.

"He's a very private person," Hermione hedged.

"So?" Harry asked.

Hermione turned to look at him. "I probably shouldn't have invited you here to begin with. It would be best if---"

"What's he done to you?" Harry asked.

"He hasn't done anything," Hermione lied. "He's my husband."

"You're afraid of him," Harry stated.

"Afraid of him?" Hermione asked. "Harry---"

"You are," Harry nodded.

Hermione glared at him. "How dare you come in here and make observations about something you know absolutely nothing about!"

"Because I know you," Harry said.

"You know nothing," Hermione retorted.

Harry shook his head. "If he's hurting you--"

Hermione looked into his concerned eyes and wanted to tell him.

"I can help you," Harry reached for her.

Hermione didn't resist and he put his arms around her and held her.

"I can get you away from here," Harry said, letting his feelings overcome him.

Hermione sighed. He couldn't help her. No one could. "You don't have to worry. Damian and I are just going through a rough patch."

Harry looked at her. "That's all?"

Hermione nodded. "He's---he's very busy and it's an issue sometimes."

Harry looked as if he didn't' believe her.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" Harry asked her.

"I know," she said, not looking at him.

"I would do anything for you," Harry said softly. "No matter what. If you're afraid of him, tell me now, and I can help you..."

"I'm fine," Hermione pulled from his grasp.

"Okay," Harry said walking over to the desk in the corner and grabbing a pen and paper. He scribbled down his room number and mobile number. "You can reach me anytime."

"Fine," Hermione said.

Harry handed her the piece of paper. "I guess I should go."

"I'll see you at the school tomorrow." he said.

"Harry?" Hermione asked looking down at the slip of paper.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"I'm taking Bella swimming tomorrow," Hermione told him. "I was wondering if..."

"Swimming?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "She loves the water."

"If you're asking me to come, I'd love to," Harry said.

"We'll pick you up at your hotel then," Hermione said. She wished for a moment she could take back the invitation. If someone saw them, that could be bad. But, she told herself, chances were that wouldn't happen. Most of her friends were the wives of Damian's colleagues and they didn't usually go to the pool. They preferred to let their nannies take their children out and about.

"I'm looking forward to it already," Harry said. "See you tomorrow."

Hermione saw him to the door. "Good night, Harry."

"Night," Harry grinned at her.

When she was alone, Hermione sunk down onto the sofa and let out the tears that she'd been holding back.

It would have been so easy to let herself get caught up in the way things used to be with Harry.

One thing she could not do again was slip in front of him like she had tonight. She had nearly told him about Damian and the awful things he had done to her over the years.

Her thought wandered to her husband. Things had started off so well. He literally had swept her off her feet- making her feel like the most beautiful woman in the world. Things hadn't started going bad until a year before she had Bella.

She had taken a job teaching at a school in Paris. One day, a male colleague had invited her to lunch to go over lesson plans.

Damian had found out and that night he had shown his true colours. Hermione'd had to call in sick for almost a week until the bruises faded.

He had been very apologetic afterwards and promised her it would never happen again. She should have left straightaway, but she loved him. Against her better judgment, she'd stayed and for awhile, he had been the perfect husband. But, it wasn't too long before the slightest thing would set him off. She would forget to pick up his dry cleaning. She would not plan a party to his specifications. She was smarter than he was.

Now he used Bella as leverage against her, should she ever try to leave him.

Hermione would never give up her daughter. She would endure whatever he threw her way if she had to, but she would never, ever let him have Bella.

She decided to go check on her daughter again before going to bed herself. She bade Tilly a good night and headed upstairs.

Her daughter was fast asleep; cuddling the stuffed dragon Hermione had bought for her.

Hermione smiled and brushed a strand of hair off her forehead, kissing the side of Bella's head. "Love you baby," she whispered.

She remembered the words Bella had said earlier---how she had wished that Harry was her father. Things would certainly be different, Hermione mused. Harry would never raise his hand to a woman.

She told herself to stop thinking that- things couldn't be changed now.

The next morning, Bella Conaghan was on Cloud Nine. Tilly had made waffles for breakfast and her mother had told her that Harry would be joining them that afternoon. She smiled the entire way to school. She could not wait to tell Billy her good news. Bella ran over to her desk and took her seat and looked over at her best friend. "Guess what?"

"What?" Billy asked.

"Mummy and me are going swimming after school," Bella told him. "And Harry Potter is going with us!"

"How come?" Billy asked.

Bella shrugged. "Just 'cause. It's going to be so much fun, Billy."

"That's cool," Billy nodded.

"Harry is so cool," Bella told him. "He tells the best stories!"

"Like what?" Billy asked, intrigued.

Bella told him the story of Grawp, the giant. Billy's eyes grew large. "Sounds a bit like Dr. McGraw," Billy joked causing Bella to laugh.

"It does!" she agreed giggling. Bella reached into her bag and handed him the dessert she had saved for him last night.

"Thanks, Bells," Billy said gratefully. "This is a lot better than the oatmeal they served us for breakfast this morning."

"Oatmeal?" Bella made a face. "Tilly made waffles for us."

"Well, we can't all have cooks," Billy said before stuffing the food in his mouth.

"Right," Bella said softly.

"So, your dad's still gone?" Billy asked her.

"Yeah," Bella nodded.

"Good," Billy said smiling reassuringly at her.

"It's nice," Bella agreed. "I love having my mummy to myself."

"Your mum is cool," Billy commented.

"She's the bestest," Bella agreed.

"You're lucky," Billy said wistfully.

"I bet someday you'll get a new mum and dad," Bella said loyally.

"I don't think so," Billy said. "Most families want babies, not kids my age."

"Yeah but you're so cool," Bella said. "And a lot of fun!"

Billy grinned. "I am pretty great."

"Okay class," Mrs. Morando had come in. "Let's get started..."

Inside his office, Harry was going over the shipment of computers that had arrived that morning. He was making sure everything was accounted for. A few of the older students were going to help him set them up in the library. His mobile phone rang and he reached for it, hoping it was Neville.

"HARRY!" Ron's voice screamed on the other line. Ron had never quite mastered Muggle technology.

Harry yanked the phone away from his ear. "Ron?"

"CAN YOU HEAR ME?" Ron screamed.

"You can talk normally," Harry said. "Bloody hell."

"Oh," Ron said in a quieter tone. "I'm in a phone booth outside the Ministry. I don't have a class until later so I wanted to see how you were doing."

"You aren't going to believe this," Harry said, sitting down. "I found Hermione."

"How's the food there?" Ron asked. "I heard some---hang on. What...what did you just say?"

"Hermione," Harry told him. "She's here. She's teaching at the same school I'm helping at."

"There's no way," Ron said in disbelief.

"She's married," Harry told him. "With a daughter."

"Married to who?" Ron asked.

"He's a doctor," Harry replied.

"Whoa," Ron said. "I, um, guess she wasn't all too happy to see you. But, on the bright side, you're still breathing, so that's a good thing..."

"I had dinner with her and her daughter last night." Harry said. "She's just like Hermione."

"And the husband?" Ron asked. "What's he like?"

"I haven't met him yet," Harry said. "He went out of town."

"Mate," Ron said. "I can't believe you actually found her. I--I'd like to see her, too."

"Maybe you and Luna can come down here," Harry suggested. "She... she doesn't practise magic anymore Ron. Bella doesn't know a thing about us."

Ron was speechless. Hermione Granger was no longer practising magic.

"She's changed a lot," Harry said.

"At least you can put this behind you," Ron said thoughtfully. "Move on, you know?"

"I guess," Harry replied.

"Harry," Ron said. "She's married. End of story."

"I know but she was our best friend at one point," Harry argued.

"And you're still carrying a torch for her, aren't you?" Ron asked.

"It's been ten years, and I haven't been able to think of any other woman but her," Harry said quietly. "I can't help it, Ron."

"I don't have to be Professor Trelawney to know this isn't going to end well," Ron warned him.

"Just don't," Harry told him. "I'm not going to make any sort of moves, okay? I just want her to be happy."

"If you say so," Ron said. "Did you tell her I was a professor now? I bet she didn't believe you. I wish I could have been there to have seen the look on her face..."

"She was pretty surprised," Harry had to smile. "Even more so to hear about you and Luna."

Ron chuckled. "That's because I don't think our Miss Granger ever got over me."

"In your dreams," Harry snorted.

There was a knock on the door and Harry looked up to see the boys who were going to help him with the computers. "I have to go, mate. I'll talk to you soon, Ron."

"Alright mate," Ron said. "Later."

Harry turned off his phone. The students were looking at the boxes with wide eyes. "Those are really for us?" one of the boys asked.

"Sure are," Harry said. "And since you lot are helping me set up, you get first crack at them."

The boys grinned at each other. Harry grabbed a box. "Come on then. We'll set them up in the library. Dr. McGraw has set up some extra tables."

"This is so cool," one of the boys said. "We're sure glad you're here Mr. Potter."

"I'm glad I'm here too," Harry said with a grin.

It didn't take the group of them long to set everything up. "These will even get you on the internet," Harry told them. "Although there will be guards set up so you can't visit any inappropriate sites."

The boys groaned in disappointment.

Harry laughed. "Not that you would anyway, right?"

"Of course not," one of the boys said innocently.

"That's what I thought," Harry said. "Mrs. Conaghan is also bringing in some more books for you lot to read."

"You mean these?" a voice asked from behind him. He turned to see Hermione standing there with a box of books.

"That should be a good start," Harry smiled at her.

"Since Mr. Potter seems to have forgotten his manners," Hermione said to one of the students. "Maybe one of you could take this box while I get the others from my car?"

"Sure Mrs. Conaghan," the boy said.

"Imagine my surprise," Hermione said. "When I stepped into the book store this morning to pick up something for Bella when the woman behind the counter asked me if I was there to pick up the shipment for the school."

Harry smiled sheepishly. "I was up late last night."

"You're just full of surprises," Hermione said smiling back at him.

"I try," Harry replied.

Hermione walked over to the table and started unpacking the books. "This is amazing, Harry."

"Look at those blokes," Harry nodded to the boys who were already playing a game on one of the computers. "They're so excited."

"Yes and that war game is very educational," Hermione said dryly.

"Ah, it's good to see them smiling," Harry replied. "That's a pretty tame one, anyway."

"Don't tell me you play those silly games," Hermione said.

"I tested them out," Harry said. "Before I brought them in to another school I did this at."

"Strictly for research purposes, I'm sure," Hermione teased.

"Of course," Harry grinned.

"So," Hermione said looking at him. "We're still on for swimming?"

Harry nodded. "I might blind you with how pale I am..."

"That's why there's sunglasses," Hermione joked.

"Good thing," Harry opened another box.

"Bella actually squealed when I told her you were coming with us," Hermione told him.

"She's a great kid, Hermione." Harry told her.

Hermione beamed with pride. "She is, isn't she?"

"She does remind me of you," Harry said. "Wants to know everything about everything."

Hermione smiled. "Her first word was 'what'."

Harry laughed. "I'm sure yours was too."

Hermione reached into the box for a book just as Harry did. Their hands brushed against each other.

Harry gulped. "Um... sorry."

Hermione blushed. "Yeah, me too."

"I just talked to Ron," he said.

"Oh?" Hermione asked. "Professor Weasley himself."

"He and Luna might come down for a weekend," Harry said.

"What?" Hermione asked taken aback.

"He wants to see you," Harry told her.

"Damian will be back by then," Hermione said straightening a stack of books. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"He can come with," Harry said.

"Maybe," Hermione hedged. "We're going to need some new shelves."

"That isn't a problem," Harry said. "But don't change the subject."

"I know where we can get a great deal on some shelves," Hermione said. "There's a man in town who---"

"I can get us the shelves," Harry interrupted.

"Great," Hermione said, looking at her watch. "I should get back upstairs. The children will be finishing with recess..."

"I'll talk to you later at the pool," Harry told her.

"I'll be the one with the sunglasses," Hermione grinned at him.

"The heavy duty ones," Harry said dryly.

Hermione laughed. "Bye, Harry."

Harry was determined not to let her change the subject again. He wanted to know why she was so hesitant about letting her husband join in their activities.

The rest of the day went by fairly quickly. Harry spent most of it in the library going over the computer programs with Dr. McGraw. He was running a little late to meet Hermione and Bella at the pool when he saw Billy kicking around a football in the quad.

The boy was alone and Harry remembered a time not too long ago when he would be left alone in the backyard while Dudley bullied the neighbourhood children. No one would or could play with Harry and he'd felt so alone.

He knew the feeling all to well of not having anyone care about you. With that in mind he approached the little boy.

"Hey there Billy," Harry said to him. "Alright?"

Billy shrugged. "It's not curfew yet. I'm okay to be outside right now. So, if you were thinking of telling on me..."

"I'm glad to see you out," Harry told him.

"What difference does it make to you?" Billy asked.

"I know how it feels," Harry said. "What you're going through."

Billy looked up at him. "Your mum and dad died. My mum's still alive. She didn't want me. Do you know what that's like?"

"Yes," Harry said. "My aunt and uncle wanted nothing to do with me."

Billy kicked the ball off his knee and didn't say anything in response to this. He was used to grown-ups acting like they cared.

"I'm here to help you," Harry told him.

"That's what they all say," Billy grumbled.

"I mean it," Harry said. "I can help you more than others because I know exactly how you feel."

"They say that too," Billy muttered kicking the ball.

Harry felt at a loss for words and had to think for a moment. "You're angry with your mum."

Billy angrily kicked the ball at Harry.

Harry caught it just before it hit him square in the nose. "Go ahead," he tossed it back at Billy. "Kick it again."

Billy kicked it as hard as he could.

Harry caught it again and threw it back at Billy without saying anything.

"She's---she's never even came back," Billy said kicking the ball again. "Never. Not once."

Harry tossed it back and let Billy vent.

"I needed her and she left me!" Billy shouted.

Harry threw him the ball and Billy kicked it so hard it flew clear across the quad.

"How long have you been holding that in?" Harry asked.

"Ever since she left me," Billy answered, looking away.

Harry was at a complete loss as to what to say. He did not know what had been going on in Billy's mother's mind when she'd left her son on the steps of this orphanage.

"Sometimes I think I hate her," Billy said, scuffing his foot on the pavement.

"I felt that way about my parents," Harry said. "I did for quite some time. I was angry that they'd left me behind with my aunt and uncle."

Billy eyed him warily.

"My aunt thought I was a nuisance," Harry said. "I slept in a cupboard under the stairs while my cousin Dudley had two bedrooms."

"You slept in a cupboard?" Billy asked.

Harry nodded. "And spent most of my time in there when they didn't have me cooking or cleaning or pretending I didn't exist."

"Wow..." Billy said, letting his voice trail off.

"I stayed with them through my 18th birthday," Harry said. He decided to keep the reasons for that secret. He didn't want to open that can of worms with this Muggle boy. "Because they were my legal guardians. But, I left and I haven't been back since. I don't even know what happened to them."

"I wouldn't go back either," Billy said. "And if my mum came back now, I would pretend not to know her."

"If you ever want to talk about it, I'm here," Harry told him.

Billy nodded. "Thanks. You... you aren't so bad."

"Thanks," Harry smiled. "I think."

"Bella told me you were nice to her," Billy said.

"I like Bella very much," Harry said. "She's a sweet girl."

"Yeah," Billy nodded.

"You know," Harry said. "Bella thinks you're really cool. Told me you're her best friend."

Billy grinned. "She's my best friend, too."

Harry smiled back at him. "Would you like to come swimming with us?"

Billy's jaw dropped. "What?"

"I'm headed over to go swimming with Mrs. Conaghan and Bella," Harry said. "Perhaps you'd like to join us?"

"I don't think Dr. McGraw would let me," Billy said doubtfully.

"I'll just go clear it with her now," Harry told him. "And swing by your room afterwards."

Billy grabbed his football. "I'll be really quick! Thanks, Mr. Potter!"

Harry grinned and headed back into the orphanage to Dr. McGraw's office.

Dr. McGraw agreed that he could take Billy out for the day but he had to be back before curfew---nine o'clock.

"I will," Harry promised. "Thank you very much."

"He's a good kid," Dr. McGraw said. "You know, before Bella Conaghan came here, he wouldn't talk to anyone."

"Really?" Harry asked, interested.

Dr. McGraw nodded. "She was determined to make him her friend."

"I'd say she definitely succeeded." Harry laughed.

Dr. McGraw laughed. "Indeed. I hope he enjoys the swimming."

"I'll have him back by nine," Harry promised before leaving.

At the pool, Bella was holding out her arms so her mother could put on sunscreen. "Mummy, this is enough!"

"Just a bit more," Hermione said. "You're fair like me and I don't want you to burn."

Bella frowned. "You worry too much, Mummy!"

Hermione smiled. "I know."

"But I still love you," Bella grinned back at her.

"I love you too," Hermione kissed the side of her head. "That slide is calling your name."

"I want to wait for Harry," Bella said. "I want him to see!"

"Okay baby," Hermione said, pulling out a bottle of concealer from her bag. She quickly dabbed it over the purple bruise on her underarm.

"Tomorrow, our class gets to use the computers!" Bella excitedly told her mother. "I can't wait!"

"I saw them today," Hermione said. "They look pretty neat."

Bella opened her mouth to respond when she suddenly spotted Harry coming toward them. Her grin widened when she saw that Billy was with him. "Mummy! Look!"

"I brought a surprise with me," Harry said, his hand on Billy's shoulder.

Hermione turned to see Harry wearing swim trunks and a t-shirt. Her stomach did a little flip at the sight of him.

"Hi," he said to her, trying not to let his eyes roam over her slender body.

"Hi," Hermione said looking away. "Billy---I should put some sunscreen on you, too. We don't want you to get a sunburn."

"Okay Mrs. Conaghan," Billy said.

Bella looked up at Harry. "Maybe Mummy should put some on you, too, Harry!"

Hermione turned bright red. "I think he can handle that for himself, sweetheart."

Harry offered Hermione a lazy grin. "Come on, Granger. You could help a bloke out with his back."

"Granger?" Bella asked curiously. "Oh yeah! That was Mummy's name before she married Daddy!"

"Lot better than Conaghan," Billy said.

Harry laughed. "I agree," he winked at her.

Hermione laughed and finished putting the sunscreen on Billy. She handed the bottle to Harry. "Here you go, pasty, pale Englishman."

"You'll have to forgive me," Harry said to the children. "In England it rains almost all year. This is the most sun I've seen in a long time."

Bella giggled. "I think you look very handsome!"

"Why thank you, Miss Isabella," Harry bowed.

Bella beamed at him and took his hand. "We're going to do the slide first."

"Sounds good to me." Harry said.

"Harry you forgot sunscreen!" Hermione called.

"I'll be all right," Harry said.

"Harry James Potter!" Hermione grabbed him by the arm. "Honestly!"

"All right, all right," Harry chuckled.

"Mummy worries way too much," Bella said.

"I'm a mother," Hermione said. "It's in our blood. Bella, you and Billy can go ahead and play in the shallow end. Harry will be with you in a minute."

She took Harry by the hand and sat him down on one of the lounges. She reached for the sunscreen. "Where would you be without me? I'll tell you where you'd be...sunburnt and in pain."

"I'd probably be dead," Harry said without thinking.

Hermione poured some of the lotion on her hand and began rubbing it on his shoulders. "You did fine without me, in the end."

"But without everything you taught me I'd have been nowhere," Harry argued.

"I'm just really glad that you and Ron made it through," Hermione said softly.

"Thanks," Harry said.

Hermione looked over to where Bella and Billy were playing in the shallow end of the pool. "That was really great of you to bring him."

"He was playing by himself in the quad," Harry said. "I feel a connection to that kid. He's sort of going through the same thing I did."

Hermione smiled. "Without the scary, dark wizard. Right?"

"Exactly," Harry said wryly.

Hermione ran her fingers down his back as she rubbed in the remaining sunscreen. Over the years, he'd bulked up a bit and was not as scrawny as she'd remembered.

Harry closed his eyes and let himself get caught up in her touch.

Hermione's hand lingered on his shoulder. "I, um, I think you're all set."

"Thanks," he said softly.

"It's the least I can do," Hermione said. "For how great you've been to Bella. She hasn't stopped talking about you."

"Like I said earlier, she's a fantastic kid." Harry replied.

"And she's anxious for you to take her on the slide," Hermione said. "Go on with you."

"After you, Granger," Harry said with a grin. "Come on..."

"I'm not going down the slide," Hermione shook her head.

"I thought you were just afraid of flying," Harry teased. "Come on. Don't tell me you've turned into a girly-girl. Are you afraid you're going to ruin your hair if it gets wet?"

"Actually yes," she said.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Hermione?"

"I'd rather just watch," she said. "Go have fun."

"It's a lovely day," Harry pointed out. "You're in a swimming costume. You're going swimming."

"Harry, I'm fine." she said firmly.

Harry decided to drop it for now, but he was confident that she'd get in the water before the day was through.

"All right you guys," Harry said, joining the children. "Who's going on that slide first?"

"Me!" Bella and Billy screamed.

"Race you," Harry laughed.

Bella and Billy laughed as they took off after Harry toward the ladder.

Harry let the kids run ahead of him. He suspected Billy was also letting Bella win.

Bella pumped her little fist in triumph when she reached the ladder first.

"Aw man," Billy grinned at her.

"Girls rule," Bella laughed. "Boys drool!"

"Whatever!" Billy said.

Bella climbed the ladder and waved to her mother when she reached the top. "Mummy, watch!"

"I see you baby!" Hermione called back.

Bella grinned and sat down. She closed her eyes and held her nose and then with a squeal went down the slide.

Harry laughed as the little girl hit the water with a splash.

Hermione clapped enthusiastically.

"My turn," Billy said happily.

Bella tread water as she watched her friend slide.

Billy took a deep breath. The slide was a lot bigger now that he was at the top.

"Alright, Billy?" Harry asked from behind him.

"Yeah..." Billy said, gulping.

"Want me to go with you?" Harry asked, sensing his nervousness.

"You don't mind?" Billy asked with trepidation.

"Not at all," Harry grinned. "On the count of three...one...two...three..."

Billy closed his eyes as Harry pushed them both down the slide.

They hit the water in a big splash. Bella squealed happily.

"That was fun!" Billy said. "Thanks Mr. Potter!"

Harry laughed. "You did great, Billy."

"You look funny without your glasses," Bella commented to Harry.

"Funny?" Harry asked. "Funny? I'll show you funny..." he pulled Bella to him and tickled her.

Bella giggled. "Harry!"

"That's funny," he said with a grin.

"Watch this, Billy!" Bella exclaimed as she climbed on Harry's shoulders.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked, amused.

Bella patted the top of his head. "Go, Buckbeak, Go!"

"Who's Buckbeak?" Billy asked.

"He's a hippogriff," Bella told him. "Half horse and half griffin."

"I've never heard of that before," Billy replied.

"Yah!" Bella exclaimed patting Harry's head again. "Go, Buckbeak!"

Harry took a breath and surged underwater, keeping Bella above.

Hermione watched from the side and felt her heart swell at the look of pure joy on her daughter's face.

Bella shrieked with laughter as Harry went underwater again.

Hermione sat down on the edge of the pool and put her feet in the water.

Harry came up and caught sight of her. "Come on in, Hermione!"

She wanted more than anything to do just that, but the water would wash away her concealer and expose her bruises.

Instead she shook her head. "I'm fine."

Harry swam over to her. She was by far the most beautiful woman here.

"Come on," he sent her his most engaging grin.

"You always have had a problem with hearing the word 'no', Hermione said kicking water in his direction.

Harry laughed. "Still do."

"What am I going to do with you?" Hermione asked.

"Listen to me for a change," Harry reached for her arm.

"I've always listened," Hermione replied.

"No you haven't," Harry tugged on her arm.

Bella and Billy swam over. "Come on, Mummy!" Bella pleaded.

"I don't' think so," Hermione hedged.

Bella, Billy, and Harry gave her their best puppy dog faces. "Please?"

Hermione shook her head.

"Mummy," Bella frowned. "Please? Pretty, pretty please?"

"I don't think so," Hermione shook her head. There was no way she was letting Harry see those bruises.

"You're no fun," Bella pouted.

"Sorry baby," Hermione replied.

"Can I do the Buckbeak thing, too?" Billy asked.

"Sure, Billy." Harry said.

The two children and Harry played for the next hour. Hermione watched from the sidelines laughing and clapping.

Harry tried one more time to get Hermione into the water. "Just for a few minutes." he said.

"Next time," Hermione told him. "I promise."

"Who knows when we'll get to go again?" Harry asked. "Come on."

Hermione looked back over to where their things were. Chances were Harry's wand was in his bag. "Hang on just a moment..."

"You'll come in?" he asked, brightening.

"Give me just a minute," Hermione said.

"Great!" Harry swam back to the kids.

Hermione hurried back over to the lounges and looked in Harry's bag. Sure enough there was his wand. Her hands were shaking as she picked it up. It had been ten years since she'd last used magic.

She had not forgotten any spells, and she used a quick concealment charm on her whole body in case there were other bruises he should notice.

She stuffed the wand back into his bag and walked toward the slide. "Let me show you lot how it's done."

"Yay Mummy!" Bella cheered.

Hermione winked at her daughter as she climbed the ladder.

"She's going headfirst!" Billy said in awe.

Hermione closed her eyes as she hit the water.

"All right!" Harry cheered as she surfaced.

"That was cool!" Billy exclaimed.

"Yay for Mummy!" Bella swam to Hermione.

She put her arms around Hermione's neck and hugged her.

Hermione kissed her daughter's wet cheek. "Are you having fun love?"

"It's even better now," Bella replied. "I don't want this day to end."

"Me either baby," Hermione hugged her tightly.

"Bella, come here!" Billy called out to his friend. Bella swam over toward him, leaving Harry and Hermione alone.

"The wet look becomes you," Harry joked.

"Bella was right," Hermione said splashing him. "You do look funny without your glasses."

"I've heard it's a good look for me," Harry replied.

"It's not bad," Hermione grinned. "You know, the last time that you and I were in water together was during the Triwizard Tournament."

"I remember," Harry grinned, pulling his best Bulgarian accent. "Hermy-own-ninny."

"Krum," Hermione shook her head.

"Your Bulgarian Bon-Bon," Harry teased.

"Oh please," Hermione rolled her eyes. "We had one date."

"One date too many," Harry said splashing her.

Hermione laughed. "What about you, mooning over Cho Chang?"

"I did not moon!" Harry said defensively.

"You turned blood red every time you saw her." Hermione replied.

"I did not," Harry splashed her again. "I was so smooth."

"Yeah right!" Hermione sent a wave of water his way.

"You're going to pay for that, Granger!" Harry reached for her.

"I don't think so!" Hermione squealed, swimming away.

Harry dove under the water and grabbed Hermione by the waist.

"Harry!" her words were cut off as he pulled her underwater.

Harry could not remember the last time he had this much fun. She put her arms around his neck as they surfaced and their faces were inches apart.

"Hey," Harry said softly, gazing into her eyes.

"Hi," Hermione whispered.

"This is nice," Harry said.

Hermione shivered, but not from the water. "Very nice," she agreed.

"Hermione," he began. "I've--"

Hermione pulled away. "We should go. The kids are probably hungry."

Harry sighed, disappointed. "Sure." he said. "I have to have Billy back by nine."

"We can them for something to eat," Hermione said.

Harry nodded. "Fine."

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked, even though she knew the answer.

"Nothing," Harry answered. "Let's go."

Hermione touched his arm. "Don't be angry with me."

"I'm not," Harry said truthfully.

Hermione smiled in relief. "I, um, kind of like having you back."

Harry grinned at her.

Hermione reached for his hand and gave it a squeeze. "Dinner's on me, this time."

Harry started to protest but she shook her head. "On me."

"Okay," Harry said.

"Bella!" Hermione called. "Billy! Come on!"

The four of them towelled off and then headed down the street to a sandwich shop.

"I can get something too?" Billy asked Harry. "Really?"

"Anything you want," Harry said. "And maybe ice cream, too."

Bella clapped excitedly. "I LOVE ice cream!"

Billy grinned up at Harry. "Thanks."

Harry patted him on the shoulder. "I hope you had a good time."

"It was the best," Billy replied. For the first time, he almost felt like he was part of a real family.

"Good," Harry said.

Hermione caught Harry's eye and smiled.

Harry grinned back as Bella and Billy placed their orders.

The two adults placed their orders as well and Harry reached for his wallet. Hermione nudged him. "I'm paying, Potter. Remember?"

"You had dinner for me last night," Harry said. "Let me get this one."

"Fine, but the next time I am paying," Hermione told him, shaking her head. Bella and Billy watched the two of them and Bella nudged Billy. "I want Harry to be my daddy," she whispered in his ear.

"Really?" Billy asked.

Bella nodded.

"Bells, you already have a dad," Billy pointed out.

"But I really like Harry," Bella said.

Billy looked over at Harry who was laughing at something Hermione had said. "He seems like he'd be a great dad," Billy commented.

Bella nodded again. "The bestest."

"Come on, you lot," Harry said taking the tray of food. "Before I eat it all..."

"No!" Bella squealed, hurrying after him.

Billy laughed as he followed them.

"I think that one's mine," Bella said.

"This is so much better than the meatloaf we were supposed to be getting tonight at school," Billy said as he sat down.

"Meatloaf, eh?" Harry asked.

Billy nodded. "It's awful."

"Doesn't sound too appetizing," Harry agreed.

Billy shook his head. "It never is, really."

"Maybe the menu should be next on my list," Harry said.

"The school has never really had the budget to do anything more," Hermione told him.

"I can imagine," Harry said. "But that's why I'm here."

Bella looked at him. "I don't want you to ever leave, Harry."

Harry smiled at her. "I'm staying until everything I want to accomplish here is taken care of."

Bella grinned and reached for her chips.

"And what exactly do you hope to accomplish?" Hermione asked him.

"Making this school the best it can be," Harry told her. "And spending as much time with my new friends as possible."

"Like us!" Bella chirped.

"Exactly like you," Harry said grinning at her.

Hermione's leg brushed against Harry's thigh as she sat down.

Harry looked over at her. "And you," he said under his breath.

Hermione blushed.

Harry knew he could never let his feelings for her go. He resolved to call Neville when he got back and see if he'd dug anything up yet.

"You want to try a bite of my salad?" Hermione asked him.

"Sure," Harry answered. "You want some of my sandwich?"

Hermione grinned. "Why do you think I offered you a bite of my salad?"

"Nice," Harry replied, laughing.

The two kids were talking about their classes which gave Hermione and Harry a chance to talk

"You know," Hermione said in a hushed voice so the kids couldn't hear. "I do miss Honeyduke's. Do you get a chance to go there?"

"Once in awhile," Harry replied.

"We always had a great time there," Hermione remembered.

"Did you want me to have Ron pick you something up before he and Luna come here?" Harry asked.

Hermione was about to ask for some Sugar Quills when Damian's voice echoed in her head. She remembered having trouble dropping her weight from when she had Bella and he'd used that to cut her down at every opportunity.

Hermione shook her head. "That's okay."

"Are you sure?" Harry pressed.

Hermione nodded. "That's nice of you to offer, but I'm fine."

"If you change your mind..." Harry said.

"Thanks," Hermione said offering him a bite of her salad. He took a bite.

"Good pick," he said.

Hermione grinned. "And now for your sandwich..."

"A bite," Harry teased.

"I'm not Ron," Hermione said taking a bite of his sandwich. "Mmmmm...."

"Good isn't it?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "Delicious." Harry smiled. "Reminds me of that night at Grimmauld Place when we couldn't sleep. You made those grilled cheese sandwiches..."

"I thought Ron was going to inhale the plate," Hermione recalled/

"And then he went upstairs to go to bed and you and I made those biscuits," Harry remembered. He'd nearly kissed her that night.

"Those were the good times," Hermione said softly.

"The best," Harry said reaching for her hand under the table.

Hermione bit her lower lip as Harry squeezed her fingers in his.

"This okay?" Harry asked softly.

"Yeah," she whispered.

"I think so too," Harry said looking into her eyes.

"Mummy?" Bella asked. "Can we have ice cream now?"

Hermione turned to look at her daughter. "What---what, sweetheart?"

"Can we have our ice cream now?" Bella repeated.

"Oh," Hermione said, reaching into her bag for her wallet. "Of course. You and Billy can go and get whatever you want."

"I've got this too," Harry told her.

Harry handed the kids some money and the two of them hurried up to the counter.

Hermione turned her attention back to her salad, her face a bit pink.

"Hermione," Harry said softly.

"What?" she asked quickly.

"There's something you need to know," Harry said.

"What's that?" she asked.

"That night before I left," Harry began. "You were right. I wasn't just there to check on you. I came up there to tell you something."

"You did?" she squeaked out.

Harry nodded. He could not believe he was going to tell her this after all this time, but he wanted her to know. He needed her to know.

"What were you going to say?" she swallowed.

"I was going to tell you that I loved you," Harry said looking intently at her.