Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Bachelor- best friend edition by heaven85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Bachelor- best friend edition

heaven85

A/N: Thanks to you guys for all your incredible reviews!!!!!! Just so you know I'm hoping to finish this story before DH comes out so I'm going to try really hard to get out the next few chapters much quicker. Thank you so much for all your comments. I really love to hear what you think. So please enjoy and I hope you review.

Disclaimer: I don't own anything.

Chapter 26

Hermione looked very carefully at the person before her. She really did look like her down to the tiny strand of hair stuck behind her ear.

"You look surprised," Carlineux told her with a smile.

"Who is that?" Hermione asked.

"It's you," Carlineux answered.

"No you got someone to look like me," Hermione retorted.

"Touché my dear. Want to give a good guess to who she is?" Carlineux asked.

"Well she seems to have most of my habits down so I'm guessing that she would be Allie," Hermione replied.

"You are correct," Carlineux replied.

"And how does that fit into your plan?" Hermione demanded.

"It's just a little test to see how well Harry knows you," Carlineux answered.

"And that's all there is to it?" Hermione asked.

"Well, there a few conditions to this little game," Carlineux replied.

"What kind of conditions?" Hermione asked.

"Well first of all is that Harry can't speak to you and he only has 3 minutes to make his decision," Carlineux answered.

"Three minutes? That seems to be quite short," Hermione said.

"So maybe you aren't such good friends after all then if you are worried," Carlineux replied raising her eyebrows.

"Of course not, Harry knows me better than anyone," Hermione commented.

"Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about," Carlineux replied.

"Is there something that I should be worried about?" Hermione countered.

"Well there is one little catch in this game," Carlineux answered.

"What kind of stakes?" Hermione asked.

"Well whoever Harry chooses gets to live," Carlineux replied.

"What? You mean that you are going to kill whoever he doesn't choose?" Hermione asked with shock.

"Well maybe not kill but that person won't get to leave," Carlineux answered slowly.

"What do you mean by that?" Hermione replied,

"Well you're not sounding very confident about your chances," Carlineux replied pushing Hermione slightly forward.

"I'm not worried really, it's just I feel like it's not fair to keep anyone here," Hermione answered looking over at the "other Hermione".

"Oh you worried about your sister? How sweet," Carlineux replied sweetly.

"I don't need your sympathy," the Allie answered curtly.

"What do you plan to do with other person who isn't picked?" Hermione pressed again.

"You really are one curious girl. You'll find out soon enough," Carlineux answered pushing her on her back.

Hermione was about the say something else until she reached the room and was stopped and caught a glimpse of a familiar head of hair.

"Hi Harry," Carlineux said.

Harry turned around and asked, "Who are you?"

Carlineux smiled and opened her hood.

As he saw her face, he took in a sharp intake of air and said, "But you're….."

"Let's keep this short. I'm not her. I'm Carlineux," Carlineux answered.

"So who are you and where's Hermione?" Harry asked in a loud tone.

"Now we're getting to the point of our meeting," Carlineux with a smile.

"So you do have her," Harry added.

"Yes I do and you can have her back," Carlineux told him.

"Then where is she?" Harry demanded.

"Just have a little patience. She'll be here shortly," Carlineux answered.

"And I can just have her back. Just like that? " Harry asked again.

"Well, there is one condition which you will find out soon," Carlineux replied.

Just then Harry saw Hermione come into the room. He smiled in relief but in a few seconds it vanished as he saw another Hermione enter the room.

"What is going on here?" Harry asked.

"It's just a little game," Carlineux replied.

"What are the rules?" Harry asked after a moment.

"It's very simple actually," Carlineux answered.

"What are they?" Harry demanded.

"It's just that you have to pick the right Hermione in 4 minutes," Carlineux replied.

"And what happens to the other person?" Harry inquired.

"She will have to stay here for awhile" Carlineux.

"And those are the only rules?" Harry asked.

"Well there's one other little one. You can ask questions but they can't talk," Carlineux added.

"Then how are they supposed to respond?" Harry asked.

"Well you can ask questions without requiring them to talk in response. I'm sure you'll find a way," Carlineux answered waving her hand.

"I know that I will find a way," Harry said.

"Your time starts now," Carlineux replied looking down at her watch.

Harry walked towards both Hermione and studied both of them carefully. They both had that long brownish busy hair. Their hair was also done up very similarly. They were similar down to the where a loose stray hair stood. He knew Hermione extremely well so he was pretty sure he would be able to determine which was the real Hermione but he had to use a different approach. After watching Hermione for many years he knew almost every single habit that she had and decided to try and test out one of those habits. He walked around each Hermione and observed how she reacted to this scrutiny.

The first Hermione stood still and tilted her head back with a few seconds before moving her back again. The other Hermione stood there for a few moments and placed her hands on her hips slightly and then crossed her arms and placed them back down.

Although their movements are different, both of those reactions were actually the way that Hermione might react under different circumstances. He had a feeling or an inkling to which person was his Hermione but he wasn't a hundred percent sure at this stage.

He decided to try something else. Then he said, "I was hoping that you could smile and laugh for me?"

Both of the girls shrugged and nodded.

The first Hermione smiled and gave a small smile at first and then it grew into a wider smile and gave a soft and light laugh.

The next Hermione gave a small bemused smile and then laughed nervously.

Harry then nodded his head and stared between both women and smiled.

"You have less than a minute left," Carlineux spoke up.

"I know," Harry replied looking her straight in the eye and he pulled out knife.

"What are you planning to do with that?" Carlineux asked raising her eyebrows.

"I'm just trying to figure out who the real Hermione is," Harry replied swinging the knife around.

"And how might you do that?" Carlineux asked with a smile.

"Why don't you two girls stand over there?" Harry asked pointing to a spot a few meters away.

Both of the girls moved.

Hermione was quite curious as to what Harry had up his sleeve but he looked pretty confident which made her smile.

"Since there is less than a minute left, I already know which of you is really Hermione," Harry added.

"You do? Well then which one is it?" Carlineux prompted.

"I'll let you know but first I want both of you two girls to move over there," Harry answered pointing towards a location a few feet from the wall.

Both girls nodded and moved towards that Harry then paced in front of both girls and looked at both of them once more and then he walked in front of one of them and pulled out the knife.

"Now I've already figured out that you aren't Hermione and that maybe I should teach you a lesson," Harry told her.

Harry raised his arm and aimed the knife right at her face and threw it right at her.

That Hermione did not move one single inch and stood there with a determined look in her eye. The knife came really close but just missed her be approximately 1mm.

He smiled and then said, "You should have moved a little bit, you scared me a bit."

Hermione smiled and responded, "I trust you and I can tell when you mean business."

"Now that is Hermione," Harry responded with a smile.

"So you were just lying before about knowing?" the other Hermione asked.

"No, I just wasn't 100% sure but I was 99% sure and now I am sure," Harry replied.

"So you were just playing us?" The other Hermione replied.

"I wouldn't say that. I was playing with you guys. After all didn't you say that this was a game?" Harry asked with a grin.

"Yeah you did say that and why don't you go back to your original look?" Hermione asked.

"I agree, one of Hermione is enough," Harry commented.

"What does that supposed to mean?" Hermione said glaring at him.

"I just mean that the world only needs one of you," Harry answered with a smile.

"I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult," Hermione replied rolling her eyes.

"I'm sure that you'll figure it out," Harry replied.

"Enough," the Other Hermione said as she returned back to Allie.

"Isn't it nice to be yourself again?" Harry asked.

"Well I've always liked being me," Allie answered back.

"That's good. Why don't you stay that way then?" Hermione asked.

"Why? What are you afraid of?" Allie shot back.

"Allie," Carlineux said.

Allie just nodded.

"So we can just go now right?" Harry asked.

"Be my guest," Carlineux answered with a smile.

"Let's go Hermione," Harry told her and started to walk off.

Hermione looked towards Allie and back to Harry and just stood there.

"What are you waiting for?" Harry inquired.

"We can't leave yet," Hermione stated.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"We can't leave Allie here," Hermione said walking towards him.

"Why not?" Harry asked.

"We can't just leave anybody here and what are we going to tell the producers if Allie doesn't come back?" Hermione asked.

"That might be a bit tricky but I'm sure we'll think of something," Harry replied.

"Harry…." Hermione said.

"Are you coming?" Harry asked turning to give her a look as if saying "It'll be fine. Trust me."

Hermione looked back at him and back and Allie and Carlineux and walked right up to Harry and he placed his arm around her shoulder and they walked back together.

"It'll be fine," Harry whispered in her ear.

Hermione just sighed but continued to walk and nodded.

"Hermione?" Carlineux said.

Hermione stopped towards her and said, "Yes."

"If you want answers then ask your parents," Carlineux said.

Hermione stared for a moment and then continued on out at Harry's urging.

"I can't believe you just let them leave," Allie said to Carlineux.

"Have patience Allie. It'll all work out," Carlineux calmly responded.

"What is your plan?" Allie asked.

"Just wait and you'll find out what you need to know," Carlineux replied.

*~*~*~*~

"Harry what do you mean by everything will be fine?" Hermione asked once they got back to Harry's loft.

"It will all work out. I mean Allie and Carlineux obviously know each other already," Harry answered.

"You're right about them knowing each other but still…." Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I'm sure that she will be taken care of," Harry added.

"That's what I'm worried about," Hermione commented.

"Since she is part of their plan, I'm sure that they have thought that this could happen. They won't do anything to her since she is part of their group," Harry told her taking a seat on the couch.

"Even so… wait a minute. You seem so sure about this. How do you know that they are part of the same group?" Hermione asked.

"Wasn't it obvious? I mean she was part of the game and she listened to Carlineux," Harry answered after a moment.

"Maybe… but maybe there is something that you haven't told me yet," Hermione said walking towards him.

"What about you? Why do you seem to be so worried about Allie all of a sudden?" Harry countered.

"I asked you first," Hermione answered.

"I don't know anymore than you do," Harry told her.

"That's not true. How do you know that she will be alright with them?" Hermione asked again.

"It's just a feeling that I have," Harry answered.

"No, it's not just that. I can see it in your eyes. Why won't you tell me?" Hermione asked with a touch of urgency in her voice.

"Hermione please, I've told you everything that I can, just trust me okay?" Harry asked.

"I do. You know I do. But I really need to know everything," Hermione answered firmly.

"Why can't you just trust me on this?" Harry asked getting up and pacing about.

"Because this time it concerns family," Hermione answered.

"Whose family?" Harry asked confused.

"Well as it turns out I have a sister," Hermione explained.

"You've never had a sister," Harry reminded.

"I didn't think so either but apparently I do and Allie is my sister," Hermione explained.

"Are you sure about that?" Harry asked.

"What do you mean?" Hermione responded raising her eyebrows.

"I absolutely had no idea that Allie was your sister," Harry told her taking a moment to grab a seat at the table.

"You really didn't know?" Hermione asked.

"No, I didn't. I still can't believe it. How do you know this?" Harry asked flabbergasted.

"Well I found an old birth certificate of hers that said she was born to my parents. And Allie told me," Hermione explained.

"Did you examine the certificate? They're really easy to fake you know," Harry replied.

"No I didn't. I didn't have any time but she had a pretty respectable detective on the case and he found that. What makes you think that she make something like that up?" Hermione said in an agitated tone.

"It's just that I find that really hard to believe that she is your sister and all of sudden she shows up?" Harry asked.

"Okay, so I'm not 100% sure but it doesn't seem like something she would have made up and it doesn't even really matter, we can sort that out later. She really believes that she's my sister though. And what makes you so sure?" Hermione asked grabbing a seat next to him.

"I can only tell you what I know and even I don't know all of it okay?" Harry asked.

"I understand. Just tell me what you do know," Hermione replied nodding with understanding.

"Well basically we've received some information from some sources about certain alert levels rising these last few months so we've all been made aware to keep an eye for any suspicious behavior. And in fact there has been some activity found around in muggle areas so when they found out I was chosen to be part of this show to keep an eye out for anybody suspicious. It was just a tiny warning so I didn't say anything to them at first," Harry explained.

"Okay I understand that, then what happened?" Hermione asked.

"Well at first nothing was really reported but lately there has seen to be a pattern in abnormal activity in the area. Activity not normally seen around this area, so we were told to monitor thing more carefully especially receiving some anonymous tips about maybe more witches or wizards or other magical beings being seen around the area," Harry continued.

"From who?" Hermione asked.

"We don't' actually know but they've said that their information has been solid for quite some time so it's best to listen. So after some surveillance we've had our eye on a few people," Harry replied.

"Which people have you been watching?" Hermione asked.

"Well we've been watching a few people closely. We've been watching Allie and Chloe mainly in the contestants and a few of the crew members as well," Harry answered.

"When did you start watching Allie?" Hermione asked.

"Around the time you told me about your suspicions," Harry answered.

"Exactly when?" Hermione asked.

"Actually a few days before you told me your suspicions," Harry replied with a sheepish grin.

"So you already had suspicions about her and you didn't let me know?" Hermione asked a little bit angry and stood up and walked towards the wall.

"I wanted to but then how would I explain keeping her around?" Harry asked walking towards her.

"You could have still let me know. Did you even know how you made me feel?" Hermione asked turning to face him.

"I know and I'm sorry but I did tell you to trust me," Harry reminded her.

"And I do. You know that but it still doesn't make it right," Hermione remarked.

"I'm sorry but you do understand that it's not that I didn't want to tell you but I couldn't. We needed to keep Allie around so that we could continue monitoring her," Harry explained.

"And what did you find out?" Hermione asked after a moment.

"We noticed that she had been having secret meetings almost every other night and we slowly followed her," Harry answered.

"Who did she meet? And where did she go for these meetings?" Hermione asked.

"We never actually managed to see who she was meeting but they never seemed to meet at the same location twice," Harry replied.

"So what did you find out?" Hermione asked puzzled.

"We did find out that she always met with people from the same group. We know that because they all wore the same outfit but their faces were always covered. We suspect that this group consists of the remaining supporters of Voldemort," Harry explained.

"Do you guys really think so?" Hermione asked.

"It makes sense especially seeing Carlineux there," Harry answered.

"So what are you planning on doing?" Hermione asked.

"Well we decided that we were going to watch Allie and she'll lead us to where they are gathering and maybe give us some insight into why they are gathering and what their plans are," Harry replied.

"Why didn't you ask me for help?" Hermione asked.

"Because we didn't want to get you involved, you were never supposed to be involved," Harry answered.

"I could have helped you. Beside you knew that I was suspicious of Allie so I would have looked into her anyways," Hermione added.

"Yes I know you would but we wanted to keep your distance as much as possible but it looks like now that it is not possible," Harry answered.

"You should have let me help you, it would make the most logical sense for me to have been trailing her," Hermione replied.

"It would have been really dangerous and we didn't want anything to happen to you," Harry countered.

"I can take care of myself, you know that better than anybody," Hermione countered.

"But you would also be the person that she would most likely be on the lookout for since she knew that you were wary of her," Harry added.

"Okay, you may have a point there but you should have warned me if you thought she was really dangerous," Hermione added.

"I did. I told you not to do anything crazy without me," Harry reminded her.

"I don't think that means the same exact thing. But what is the plan now?" Hermione asked.

"Well we have a clue as to where they might be holding Lisa and basically we were planning on breaking in and retrieving those that may have been captured," Harry explained.

"So, that's why you were rushing us out and what do you know about Allie's involvement with them?" Hermione inquired.

"Yes that is why. I wanted to figure out their location as quickly as possible," Harry answered.

"So when are you guys going in?" Hermione asked slowly.

"I'm not sure yet but within the next couple of days, just in case they decided to regroup elsewhere," Harry explained.

"So does knowing Allie is my sister change anything?" Hermione asked pointedly.

"The fact that she's your sister does cause some complications but the truth is I still find it very surprising. But from the information that we have been gathering from various sources, it does seem like they have something huge planned and from what we can see Allie seems to be quite important in those plans. So if that were the case, they won't do anything to her," Harry answered.

"Well from what I gather though is even though they do seem to include Allie in on their plans, from what she has told me and her tone in her voice. I don't trust her. And Allie just feels abandoned and they opened up to her so she feels comfortable there. She probably thinks it's a place where she belongs," Hermione commented sitting down.

"Do you trust what she has told you?" Harry asked.

"I know that Allie believes what she's saying. I don't think she really knows what she is doing. As for Carlineux, I don't trust her. There is something odd about her. But I do think she is being somewhat truthful. But she is definitely hiding something," Hermione replied.

"What do you think she's hiding?" Harry asked softly.

"I don't know but she told me to talk to my parents. It's all very confusing," Hermione answered leaning her head against his shoulder.

"Hermione, what are you going to do about Allie?" Harry asked slowly brushing her hair out of her way.

"I don't know. I can't let her get off with everything's she done but I really think that deep down she's good. But she just got turned the wrong way. But I don't want to have to send her off to Azkaban or jail because she's been through so much and been along so long. I want to be there for her and show her that I care and I want to be there. I don't want her to hate me but if I don't then I'm…." Hermione replied frustrated.

Harry lifted her head and placed his head against his forehead and said, "Hey, don't worry. You'll do the right thing and she'll see that you're doing this for her own good. You've got the biggest heart in the world. And something you have to do what you have to do because you care. She'll understand someday, I promise you."

Hermione smiled and closed her eyes and placed her head back on his shoulder. Harry placed his arm around her and kissed her on the forehead. They stayed like that for a few minutes in silence.

"So what do you want to do now?" Harry inquired.

"I think I need to talk to my parents," Hermione replied.

"Do you really think they know something?" Harry asked softly.

"I don't know but as you know impossible things have been happening for a long time," Hermione pointed out.

"Whatever you want to know, I'll be there. If you want me there," Harry spoke up.

"Of course I want you there. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go alone," Hermione responded with a huge grin.

Harry handed her the phone and said, "What are you waiting for?"

"Can we really go now?" Hermione pointed out.

Harry grabbed the phone and dialed a number quickly, "Hi, I'm feeling sick today. I don't think that I can film the show today."

Hermione just looked at him and smiled.

"How sick?" Harry said and began coughing very loudly buy pointing the wand at his throat.

Hermione grabbed the want from his hand a minute later shaking her head.

"Thanks," Harry croaked into the phone.

"You do know that a wand is not a toy you know," Hermione explained.

"I know that. But I wanted to really sound sick," Harry answered rubbing his throat.

"And if you had that wand on you any longer, your voice might actually be shot," Hermione replied laughing.

"I did this for you," Harry retorted in between coughs.

"I know and I'm grateful but honestly, I would have thought by now you would know better," Hermione added in between giggles and waved her wand.

A glass appeared on the table and Harry took it raising his eyebrows.

"It'll cure your throat," Hermione explained.

"It doesn't look that appetizing," Harry replied staring at the brownish green color.

"Just drink it," Hermione told him rolling her eyes.

Harry took the drink and quickly gulped it down and then sank down to his knees.

"It doesn't taste that bad," Hermione commented with a giggle and handed him something.

Harry took it and smiled. She had given him some of his favorite strawberry flavored candies and he popped it in his mouth.

"You're lucky that I brought you any," Hermione replied.

"I know you always keep them on hand," Harry teased her.

"Only because I know you'll get into trouble," Hermione retorted back.

"Okay so are you ready to make that call?" Harry asked after a few moments.

Hermione grabbed the phone and dialed her parents number.

"Hello Mum?" Hermione asked nervously.

"Hermione?" Mrs. Granger said.

"It's me," Hermione replied.

"How are you doing dear?" Mrs. Granger asked delighted in hearing her daughter's voice.

"I'm good but I'm wondering if Harry and I could drop by for a visit?" Hermione asked.

"Of course, I'll be home in about half an hour," She replied.

"Will dad be there as well?" Hermione asked.

"Yes he will be home then as well. IS something wrong?" Mrs. Granger asked worried.

"No, everything is fine. I just want to see the both of you. I'll see you in a bit then," Hermione replied cheerfully.

"Okay, see you then," Mrs. Granger replied quite puzzled.

"So we're all set?" Harry asked slowly walking towards Hermione.

"I'm a bit nervous. It's going to be quite surprising to them and I have no idea what they will tell me," Hermione replied nervously.

"Whatever they're going to tell you, we'll get through and it doesn't change the fact that they're your parents and that they love you," Harry told her rubbing her shoulders.

"You're right. How did you get to be so calm and rational?" Hermione asked teasingly.

"It comes from being nagged at day and day out for so many years," Harry answered seriously.

Hermione pushed you playfully and said, "If it wasn't for my nagging. I doubt that you would have survived school year after year."

"See that earned a smile," Harry replied with a grin.

"At my expense but I forgive you this time," Hermione responded smiling back.

"Are you ready?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded and they headed off to meet her parents.

-->