Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Twelve: The Hero of Hogsmead

Ron sat pushing the remains of his shepherd's pie around his plate. The ache in his heart overshadowed the emptiness in his stomach. Whenever it was quiet he either heard Hermione telling him that she only cared for him as a friend, Hermione telling Harry that she loved him, or else Hermione screaming. He looked at the ceiling the gloomy overcast of this gray Thursday matched his mood.

Last night he had brought Harry's homework. Something had happened, Harry had been very withdrawn. Hermione had been shooting anxious looks at Harry, but Harry had not responded to her. Ron didn't feel like talking to her either, some part of him was glad that she was distressed, the rest of him ached for her. The Grangers had been friendly enough, asking questions about his Care of Magical Creatures class, he wondered how they knew so much because he hadn't seen them. At last his parents had come, their arrival had lightened the mood, and Harry had come out of his shell a little. At nine o'clock he had excused himself.

"Mr. Weasley," Professor McGonagall was standing next to him, "You are excused from class for the rest of the day. Please report to the Headmaster's office at one o'clock."

Ron gulped. He had only been to Dumbledore's office once, back in his second year. He couldn't help wonder what he had done wrong. Professor McGonagall wasn't angry but she had not been smiling either.

At one o'clock Ron was standing before the stone gargoyle that lead to the Headmaster's office. "Lemon Drop" was the current password. He knocked on the door and was greeted by a familiar face, Percy! In the background he could see Dumbledore talking with Professor McGonagall and Cornelius Fudge. There were several others standing around the room.

"Well done, Ron," Percy greeted him quietly, "you've given the family reputation a real boost. You saved Harry Potter! You're going to be on the front page of the Daily Prophet tomorrow." Percy leaned close and whispered, "I don't mind telling you a lot of important wizards have been asking me about you since last Saturday."

Ron stared at his older brother, he could just imagine how the ambitious Percy had been answering questions about him.

"Well, here he is, the man of the hour. Quite a good job you did last Saturday, I read the reports." Fudge had switched on his fatherly manner, smiling for the reporters. "The wizarding world will be forever grateful that you saved Harry Potter, plus there is the reward due you for the elimination of a dangerous Death Eater, Augustus Rookwood."

For the next half hour Ron was pressed for details of how he had come to the rescue of Harry. As he was forced to relive the emotions he had experienced during the attack he began to feel sick again.

At last Dumbledore intervened, "That is enough, you have enough information for your article."

Ron gave him a grateful look as Dumbledore winked at him.

Fudge approached Ron carrying a large sack, "Here you are, the thousand Galleon reward for apprehending Rookwood.

He backed away from Fudge, becoming even more pale. "No…No I-I-I don't want it," in a flash he understood how Harry had felt about the Triwizard winnings.

"Why?" asked Fudge.

"I didn't catch Rookwood, he died. The curse hit him and he fell, just like Harry did," he swallowed before continuing. "I didn't do it myself. Harry, Hermione, and Luna were there too. We all fought together. You've tried to make it sound glorious, but it was horrible, I was so scared. I can't forget Hermione screaming when she thought Harry was dead. I-I didn't…save Harry…," a look came over his face, as though he realized something important, "Madam Pomfrey did, she and Healer Galen. I just can't take it. I didn't earn it."

"Cornelius, let me keep it for him," said Dumbledore. "Perhaps in the future he may change his mind. You wanted to see Harry."

Fudge looked confused, but he agreed.

Percy seeing that Ron was upset, "Minister, may I talk to my brother, in private?"

"Of course, but you will need to hurry, we need the photos with Harry quickly if we are to make tomorrow's edition."

Ron and Percy stepped outside Dumbledore's office. "Ron, you need to pull yourself together, what's wrong?"

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming? Did you tell Mum and Dad about this? This attack has been hard on us, Harry was almost killed and Hermione was hysterical. She just gets out of the hospital wing for classes and she still sleeps there. Master Healer Galen still comes twice a day."

Percy looked uncomfortable, "Yes, we sent your parents an owl, guess they couldn't make it."

"Oh, like you did for Harry's hearing?" he needed to yell at somebody, but managed to control his temper. "They are your parents too. Glad I didn't sever ties with 'Potter' now, are you?" he hissed. "So now you're trying to make up for all the lies you told about him last year by looking like you care about him now?"

Percy had gone pale, opening and closing his mouth, looking for all the world like a goldfish. "Ron please-,"

"Well, I'll cover for you this time. I'll pose for your pictures to keep you out of trouble, but this is the last time I will bail you out until you come to your senses and apologize to Mum and Dad for all the things you said to them. We better go, you've got a deadline."

The two brothers went back inside. Ron looked calmer, but Percy looked stunned. Dumbledore gave Ron a smile.

In short order every one, except Dumbledore, left for the hospital wing. He called Fawkes to him. "Warn, Poppy," he ordered quietly. The phoenix vanished. At the bottom of the staircase he was about to head for the hospital wing when he stopped abruptly.

"Miss Lovegood, shouldn't you be in class?"

Luna, looking uncomfortable, stepped up to the headmaster, "Is Ronald in trouble, Professor?" she queried. "Who are all those people?"

"No, Miss Lovegood, he isn't in trouble, but will you please hurry to the hospital wing. Tell Harry that Minister Fudge is coming. He will know what to do. I will see you are excused from classes for this afternoon."

************************************************************************

When Fudge and party arrived in the hospital wing they found Harry with a visitor. Ron was surprised to see Luna with Harry, the Grangers were nowhere to be seen. Luna smiled at Ron. He looked at Harry and stared in shock, as Harry seemed to have taken a turn for the worse.

Harry was very pale, with dark circles under his eyes. His face was very drawn with the circles making his face, from a distance, look like a skull. His scar stood out, red and swollen. Ron was about to ask Dumbledore what had happened when Luna caught his attention. She shook her head, almost imperceptibly, cautioning him to say nothing.

Fudge was taken aback by Harry's appearance, he wasn't sure the wizarding world was quite prepared to see Harry looking so bad.

Percy seeing that his boss was uncomfortable with the situation took the lead. "Hi, Harry, how are you?"

"Hello, Mr. Weasly, I'd prefer to be called Mr. Potter if you please." Harry's voice was tired, his tone firm, but not hostile. "The healers are generally pleased with my progress, although it will be some time before I get back to where I was before."

"I'm glad you will recover, … Mr. Potter," said Percy sympathetically but was unable to disguise a look of hurt, "you gave us all quite a scare."

Refusing to give an inch, Harry shot back, "Tell me, Mr. Weasley, are you still fraternizing with Senior Undersecretary Umbridge?"

Percy shot a look at Ron, who met his gaze with a defiant expression. He knew at once that Harry had seen the letter he had written to Ron. "No, Mr. Potter, not recently." Realizing he had burned his bridges with Harry, Percy backed away.

"Is all this going to be in the Daily Prophet?" inquired Harry.

"Yes, it is," answered Fudge, "Glad to see you, Harry." He walked to Harry extending his hand as the photographer snapped a picture.

"Hello, Minister. I hope you are well." He extended his hand, the words "I must not tell lies" were faintly visible on the back of his hand. He took Fudge's hand in a feeble grip.

Harry spoke to the reporters, "Please put in your story that I'm grateful to my friends Ron Weasley, Luna Lovegood, Hermione Granger, Reubius Hagrid, and my healers Madam Pomfrey, and Master Healer Marcus Galen for saving my life."

"Of course, Harry. We will be sure to print whatever you want," assured the minister. "I just wanted to see that you had everything you needed." He smiled as the photographers took more pictures.

"Thank you for asking, everything is going as well as can be expected."

"Harry! What on earth-," demanded Molly Weasley.

"Hi, Mum. The Daily Prophet came to interview Ron and Minister Fudge came with them to see how I'm doing," Harry said brightly.

"Mrs.Weasley, what are you doing here?" asked Fudge, "How did you get in?"

"Didn't you know? Arthur and I were appointed as Harry's guardians last summer. As such we have been granted visitor's privileges, since Harry has been so gravely injured." Molly looked at Ron and Dumbledore before adding, "I've brought you some soup, Harry. I'm glad to see you looking so much better to day." She held up a large basket.

Percy, stunned by the news about Harry, was trying to get away unnoticed, hiding behind the photographer.

Molly was pouring Harry's soup. "Hello, Percy. How are you?" Her voice was neutral and she didn't look at him.

"Fine." He replied, looking at the back of Fudge's head.

Molly nodded and didn't press, but Harry could see the tears start in her eyes.

At that moment Galen arrived and Fudge took his leave, with Dumbledore escorting them out and Percy gratefully leading the pack.

Healer Galen gave Harry his potion and did a quick examination. He did not seem upset by Harry's appearance.

"Harry what happened? You were looking so much better yesterday," asked Molly.

"It's a temporary side effect of the potion I'm taking," answered Harry with a smile. "But looking bad may do some good, Professor Dumbledore wants to keep the state of my recovery a secret."

Shortly after the Minister's party left the Grangers entered. Warned by Madam Pomfrey they had hidden in the guest quarters. Arthur arrived a short while later. The five of them ate the soup while Healer Galen and the Grangers looked on.

"Mr. Potter, from now on I think you should just continue to push your limits, try to combine the exercises that Dr. Granger is teaching you with walking as far as you can each day. I think that you should spend the next week in the hospital wing just in case something develops. After next week you should be able to return to your classes. Keep up the good work and I will see you tomorrow."

Shortly afterward Hermione came in from the library, and the Grangers retired to the guest quarters to eat in private.

After dinner the main topic of conversation was Fudge's visit to Hogwarts. After a pleasant visit Ron and Luna left for their dormitories. Harry and Hermione exercised with the Grangers and then settled in for the evening doing their assignments, while the Weasleys and Grangers talked.

When the Weasleys left the Grangers escorted them to the entrance of the Hospital wing. As her parents did not return immediately Hermione seized her opportunity to talk with Harry privately.

"Harry, can you tell me what upset you yesterday?"

Harry looked up at the ceiling and sighed. "I-I can't play Quidditch anymore, Hermione. I've been hurt too badly. I just don't have the reflexes to be Seeker. I may not even be able to walk without that staff anymore."

"What about the potion, the exercises? Aren't they helping? Healer Galen has been so encouraging," Hermione felt like crying.

"My ability to move is coming back so slowly, it could take years. My reflexes may never come back, the Healers just don't know," Harry added bitterly. Hermione could see the misery written on his face.

Hermione's thoughts were racing, but there was nothing she could think of to say that didn't sound condescending or insensitive. "I just don't know what to say," she went to his bedside and hugged him. "I can't imagine how badly this must be hurting you," she whispered. "I'm really, truly sorry this happened to you. I'll do anything, anything, to help. Please, just tell me what to do." She forced herself not to cry.

Harry hugged her back, just as he had at the party. She felt that he wanted to cry but wouldn't allow himself to. After a few minutes his emotions subsided and he released her. "Thanks for caring, Hermione," he whispered back. "There's nothing to say, really. It's just the way it is. I'll live." Harry managed a small smile that seemed to hurt her worse than his tears or anger would have. She turned away to hide her own tears and returned to her bed.

A few moments later the sound of quills scratching on parchment softly filled the air. As Harry had said, sometimes there was just nothing to say.

Hermione went to wash up before going to sleep. She was desperate to do something to help Harry. It was so hard not knowing what to do. When she returned she saw her mother sitting with Harry. He called to her and she went to him. "Hermione, are you still interested in teaching me to knit?" he asked shyly. "It might help with my hand-eye coordination."

Hermione smiled.

Looking at her Harry thought, Sometimes nothing needs to be said because your expression says it all.

************************************************************************

This Friday had been quite as bad as Ron imagined it would be. The Daily Prophet article had dubbed him "The Hero of Hogsmead." His picture covered half the front page.

Everyone thought it was great, students had been asking him questions all morning. Any other time it would have been just what he wanted. All his life he felt he had been in the shadows, first behind his brothers then behind Harry. It just wasn't fair. The event that had brought the notice he desired brought with it his separation from the one he most wanted to share it with. Now all he wanted was to run and hide.

A thought strayed across his mind. This must be how Harry felt. He couldn't remember the night Voldemort had killed his family, yet he was famous for it. Harry spent a lot of time running and hiding too.

Partly he just wished he had done something to deserve the attention. All he had done was what any other DA member would have done. One stunner was all he had contributed. He hadn't even been able do first aid like the Daily Prophet had said he had done. "Bloody hell, I couldn't even find his pulse," he thought.

He was confused, it might have been better if he hadn't followed them to Hogsmead, but then the Death Eaters probably would have killed them both, he doubted Hermione could have survived the Avada Kedavra curse like Harry had. So you would have lost her anyway, he thought. He realized that Dumbledore had been wrong, he wasn't noble enough to be glad he had saved Hermione for anyone but himself.

Not that Hermione was happy today either, he had heard that she had spent some time crying in the girl's bathroom at lunch time, but she had pulled herself together to make her afternoon classes.

Ron entered the common room and went up to the dorm. He threw his book bag onto his bed and sat down. His heart sank into his feet. All of Harry's belongings were gone! The bed curtains had been removed and all that was left was the mattress.

He went to the window, trying to clear his mind. Looking down, he saw Hermione, her parents, and Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore walking toward the gates. The Grangers were still wearing their healer's robes. When they reached the Apparition point Hermione hugged her parents then they and Professor McGonagall vanished from sight. Ron watched as Hermione and Dumbledore re-crossed the lawn. With a sigh he went down to dinner.

In the Great Hall he sat with Ginny and Hermione. The mood was very somber and they weren't talking as they ate, "What happened to Harry?" he asked. "All his things are gone."

In answer Ginny nodded toward the head table, where Dumbledore had risen to his feet.

"I have a sad announcement to make this evening. As you all know Harry Potter was attacked by the servants of Lord Voldemort in Hogsmead last Saturday. He has survived due to the heroic efforts of his friends Mr. Ronald Weasley, Miss Luna Lovegood, and Miss Hermione Granger. I raise my glass to these and to friendship."

Everyone stood and raised their glasses, "To friendship." After the toast the students gave a round of applause to Harry's friends.

"Mr. Potter has been badly injured and his recovery may take a very long time. To make sure he has access to prompt medical attention he will no longer be residing in Gryffindor House. In a week or so you will see him as he travels between his classes, the library, and his quarters. He now requires a staff to enable him to walk. I would ask you not to stare at him. Please give him the room he needs to navigate the stairs. Finally, do not offer to help him, the more he does for himself the more complete his recovery will be. He will ask for aid if he needs it. You will observe that his difficulty is primarily with his movement, his wit, intelligence, and powers are unaffected. He did not ask for what happened to him. He has no need of your pity. He needs only your patience and the respect that you have always granted him as a fellow student.

"I thank you for your attention and cooperation in this." As Dumbledore resumed his seat, the quiet buzz of conversation filled the room. Hermione stood and left for the hospital wing, there were many who stared, pointing at her as she left the Great Hall. Ron and Ginny followed her a short time later.

They were about to enter the hospital wing when their father called out to them "Ron, Ginny, in here." Turning, they saw him in the doorway of the guest quarters. They found Hermione and their parents visiting Harry in his new quarters.

The room had been furnished with a hospital bed, a desk, a small bookshelf, a couple of squashy armchairs in front of a small fireplace, and a sofa.

"The Grangers helped Dobby move my stuff this afternoon," Harry was telling the Weasleys. "They were leaving and Professor Dumbledore thought it would be easier for me than climbing all those stairs to the tower."

"Your parents are some of the nicest people that I have ever met, Hermione," Molly said to Hermione, "you are lucky to have them."

Hermione nodded and gave Molly a small smile. Ron noted that she was being unusually tight-lipped this evening. "I need to go to bed," she said at last, "I'll be moving back to the dorm tomorrow. Good night."

"We need to go too, Ron we've got practice tomorrow," said Ginny.

"You go. I need to talk to Mum and Dad in private."

Ginny left with Harry looking wistfully after her.

"Well Ron, if you need to talk we'd better go too," said Arthur. "Good night, Harry."

As they walked to the Apparation point Ron told his parents about the way everyone was treating him and how he felt that he did not deserve it.

"Ron, don't ever underestimate what you do for others," Arthur began. "Sometimes the smallest kindness means a great deal to someone in trouble. How many others were closer and did nothing to help. You and Luna are the true heroes here. You saw a need and took action. What you did, even if it was only one spell, was more than anyone else. The fuss that others make over you may be more than you feel you deserve, but you certainly deserve some recognition for helping."

"Ron," Molly chimed in. "I hope that what will eventually mean the most to you is that your friend recognized what you did for him. I heard Harry tell you thank you. They printed it in the paper too. As you get on in life you'll find many that will forget to thank you for what you do. In a few weeks all this will blow over and things will get back to normal, but you will always have Harry's gratitude. That can be a great treasure if you let it.

"I know Hermione hurt you, Ron, and your feelings for her complicate all of this," she continued. "But she didn't mean to. It's not her fault that she loves Harry. I hope you can forgive her one day, because she needs you too." She swept Ron into a big hug.

His folk's understanding was a relief and now that his hurt was out in the open he didn't feel so bad. After Arthur and Molly Disapperated he began the melancholy walk back to the castle.