Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Hogwarts Wedding

The next evening Harry and Hermione were talking about their wedding plans in Harry's room. For the first time in long while, they were cuddled together on the sofa in his room.

It was a comfort that so much had been done by having the ceremony at Hogwarts. They already had their wedding clothes and they would soon be getting their rings.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, "do you want me to do my hair for the wedding?"

"No, I'd rather you didn't."

"Why, Harry," she asked in surprised voice.

"It's kind of hard to explain. I think you look nice when you use the hair potion, but somehow it's not you, or it's not the you I know best. On our wedding day I want to marry you. The one I fell in love with and your hair, like it is now, is you." He gently ran his fingers through her hair, making her shiver, and gave her a warm kiss. "I told you before, I may not have fallen in love with you because of your hair, but I love your hair because it is yours."

She nestled against him, "Thanks, Harry.

The following Saturday they made the trip to Hogsmead. Professor McGonagall used magic to disguise them and with her help they selected their wedding rings. Hermione hadn't realized that since engagement rings were not common among wizards that the bands themselves tended to be more ornate. They selected heavy goblin-wrought gold rings. Each ring had a recessed band set with hundreds of tiny stones faceted so that the jeweled sections reflected the light. Hermione's had a band of sapphire, Harry's band was of ruby. It was with a great deal of pride the Hermione signed over the cost of the ring with gold from her vault.

That evening she met with Harry to make plans about the wedding party. Somewhere along the way the light crept back into her eyes.

"Are you going to ask Ron to be your best man?" she asked.

"Yes, he's the best friend I have, who are you going to ask to be your maid of honor?"

"I was going to ask Ginny, I don't think I know Luna well enough."

"Do you think they will be uncomfortable? Ron was hurt when he realized you didn't love him, and Ginny still likes me, I don't want to hurt her."

Hermione sighed, "Well all we can do is ask them, they can refuse if they want to."

"When are you going to ask her?

"Ordinarily, I'd ask her as soon as possible, but based on what Professor Dumbledore said we'd better wait for a couple of weeks. We have a little less than a month to go, so I'll ask her two weeks before the ceremony."

"Who are we going to invite? The only people I know are the Weasleys, Lupin, Tonks and Kingsly Shacklebolt. If we're going to have it here, I guess our teachers will come. If a bunch of people from the ministry are going to be here I believe most of the Aurors will be here anyway providing security. I doubt my Aunt and Uncle will come."

"Harry, I meant to ask you, how did you get the Dursleys to give you permission?"

"I gave them some money when I moved out last July. I just gave them a little more for their permission. I guess they're glad to be rid of me." Harry's expression was a little sad as he said this.

She had wanted to know how much he had given them, but when Hermione saw his face she took Harry in her arms, "I'm sorry they never realized what a great person you are, Harry. I know it must hurt to know that they rejected you just because of your heritage. Put it behind you. You'll never have to think about them ever again, after our wedding I'll be your family."

A short time later Harry was kissing Hermione goodnight. They were to the side of the landing leading to the hospital wing. It had been a while since she had kissed him so passionately. He was beginning to feel excited, when he suddenly felt he had been plunged into an ice cold shower. Hermione gasped in alarm and drew back from him.

"Oh, sorry," said Nearly-Headless Nick, "I didn't see you standing there." Sir Nicholas had just come through the wall and had passed through them. He stared momentarily, "Harry, Miss Granger, what are you doing?"

"It's all right, Sir Nicholas," called Madam Pomfrey from the door of the hospital wing. "They're engaged. It's called snogging these days."

Harry had never seen Sir Nicholas looking so embarrassed.

The days passed quickly. True to his word Professor Dumbledore had the people from the ministry come with their marriage license, and Master Healer Galen provided their physicals, free of charge.

The next Friday evening Hermione dropped by Harry's room looking tired and a little frazzled. They had been working extra hard on their studies so that they would have as much free time as possible over the holiday and she still had her duties as a prefect.

She fell onto his sofa with a heavy sigh. "Harry, could you do me a big favor?"

"Sure."

Hermione kicked off her shoes, "Would you rub my feet like you did last Christmas?"

Harry massaged them as he had done before. She blissfully closed her eyes, enjoying his touch on her tired feet. She relaxed and began to tell him about her day. As she finished she felt something wet splash on her toes, she looked at him and was surprised to see a sad smile on his face and another tear slide down his cheek. "What's wrong, Harry?"

Harry shook his head, "Just remembering something your father said."

"I'm sorry, Harry."

"It's all right. You didn't know. I don't quite understand why this hurts so much. I didn't have much time to get to know them."

"I think I understand why, Harry, you hurt because I do," she explained.

"I guess you're right," he said. Harry changed the subject, "When are you going to ask Ginny about being your maid of honor?"

"Monday night I guess. I need to figure out somewhere we can be alone, I don't know how quietly she is going to take the news."

"What about the Owlery? It's rather private."

"Maybe so, when are you going to ask Ron?"

"I'll ask him on Monday, too. He'll be coming to the hospital wing to work with Madam Pomfrey. Are you hungry? I'd like some dinner."

Hermione nodded her assent and after Harry washed his hands they set off for the Great Hall.

The following Monday afternoon was an anxious one for Harry, he went to his door several times before Ron showed up. He beckoned when he saw him and Ron came into his room. "Could you come out on the balcony, I need to talk to you?" he asked. "Don't worry I won't keep you long," he added when he saw the expression on his friend's face.

"Sure, Harry, what's on your mind?" Ron said as they passed into the hospital wing and out onto the balcony.

"I need to ask you to do something for me, it's your choice, but whether you will or won't do as I ask I need to know that you will keep it a secret."

Ron looked slightly hurt as well as curious, "Harry, we're friends, you know I'll keep a secret if you ask me to. What do you want me to do?"

"Hermione and I are getting married Friday after next, I'd like for you to be my best man." Harry said quietly. "I know that you have feelings for her too. I'd understand if you don't want to."

Ron looked thunderstruck. "But, Harry, you're only six-, … you're not of age, you're … you're Harry Potter," he said with a note of bitterness in his voice. He thought for a moment. "Why, Harry?"

Harry explained to him what he had said to Dumbledore. Ron nodded.

"Are they going to let you finish school?"

"Yes, but we won't be allowed to participate like we used to do." Harry told him about what the Board of Governors had said.

"Ok, Harry," he said rather reluctantly. "I'll be your best man, does anyone else know?"

"Only you and some of the teachers." At that moment they heard a faint shriek and a cloud of owls flew from the Owlery tower. "And your sister," Harry added.

The following Wednesday they were assigned their new quarters. There was a fairly large sitting room, a small dining room, and a bedchamber with two armoires. There was a fireplace in the sitting room. It would just take the furniture Harry had in his room next to the hospital wing.

Professor Flitwick taught them some useful charms to seal their rooms against unwanted intruders. The best charm that he showed them prevented anyone except them from seeing the door; all anyone else saw was a wall, unless either of them was with the guest. In order to keep from giving away their secret, they moved only the things that they weren't using on a regular basis. The final move would take place on the morning of the wedding.

That Saturday Hermione tried to find Harry to get his help in setting up their living quarters. She always seemed to be a few minutes behind him. At last she gave up and did what she could. The next day it was pretty much the same, everyone had seen him somewhere else, and when she got where he was supposed to be he had left a few minutes before.

She finally met him at breakfast on Monday morning. He was in strange mood, he apologized for not helping with such an important task, yet he was not forthcoming with information about what he had been doing. Because Hermione believed he was hiding something, she tried using Legilimancy when Harry was occupied with his potions essay, but she couldn't get through his Occlumency defenses. In the end she decided it couldn't be too bad because whatever it was made him smile when he thought she wasn't looking.

Wednesday evening he made up for his absence the previous Saturday, and they got the bulk of their unused possessions stored in their rooms.

After dinner on Thursday Hermione parted from him with a warm hug, she wouldn't see him until she met him and they would walk together to their wedding ceremony. That night Harry was unable to sleep, he tossed and turned restlessly all night. The enormity of the change coming into his life kept scenarios of success or disaster playing in his mind all night long. At last, as dawn was breaking, he rose. He showered, laid out his dress robes with the special slippers he would wear, and packed the rest of his belongings so they could be moved to his new room.

He waited for Ron to come, they were going to breakfast together after Hermione and Ginny left the Great Hall. Ron arrived and they set off together. Harry ate a light breakfast, he was rather tired, and he didn't want to overload his stomach, Ron appeared to be as nervous as he was.

Shortly after the mail arrived Dumbledore rose to address the students. "Today, classes will be dismissed at one o'clock so that those of you who wish to do so may attend a very special event. This afternoon at two o'clock Hogwarts will host a wedding. It will be held on the courtyard next to the Great Hall. Mr. Harry Potter will marry his fiancee, Miss Hermione Granger, and you are all invited to attend. I will remind you this is a formal and solemn occasion therefore dress robes will be required. For those students who wish to attend who do not own dress robes, you may watch from the galleries above the courtyard. We are expecting some important guests from the Ministry of Magic. I know that you will be on your best behavior. Thank you."

The Great Hall was silent for a minute or so, then the whispers began. Everyone at the Gryffindor table looked curiously at Harry. Neville, Seamus, and Dean came to congratulate him, while Lavender and Parvati got up and hurried for the Gryffindor common room. The students from the other houses pointed as Harry and Ron left the Great Hall and got ready to attend their classes.

Later that morning Dumbledore found Harry sitting in his room. "What are you doing, Harry?" he asked in a kind voice.

Harry was lost in thought with a large stack of files wrapped up with a ribbon sitting in his lap. "I've been excused from my classes today. The teachers said that my presence was distracting the others and they couldn't get any work done. They gave me their lesson plans, all the way back to the Christmas holiday, as a wedding present, even Professor Snape" Tears formed in his eyes, "Professor Flitwick said he knew how hard we had been struggling to keep up, especially Hermione. She's really had a tough year."

"Yes, Harry, the two of you really have. You look tired, did you sleep well last night?"

Harry didn't answer he just shook his head no.

"I have it on good authority that your bride did not sleep either. Worried about the rest of your life?" Dumbledore smiled

"I think so." Harry mumbled

"Well, it's not too late to call your wedding off, you know," He smiled. "Nevertheless, you can only live your life one day at a time. There aren't many that can see into the future, except to say that your choices today largely determine what happens tomorrow. You may imagine all sorts of things happening in the future but not all of them will come true. The future will arrive at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, and the only time you can act in is now. Take care of the time you have and the future will take care of itself. Get some rest and I will see you at two."

Harry napped fitfully until one thirty when Ron showed up. Harry gave him Hermione's ring to hold and they went down to the door to the courtyard. To Harry's surprise there was a large crowd arranged along the sides of the lawn. Looking around he saw Hagrid, all the Weasleys, Lupin, Tonks, Moody, and several others from the order scattered through the crowd, even Mrs. Figg was there. He saw Cornelius Fudge, Amelia Bones, Percy, and there were a few others from the ministry he recognized. He wasn't sure but he thought he even glimpsed Victor Krum.

He heard people coming from behind, turning he saw Professors McGonagall and Sprout coming with Ginny. Hermione was following behind. She was wearing a veil that matched the color of her dress robes, the veil was held in place by a wreath of flowers, provided by Professor Sprout. The herbology teacher had also made a corsage for her wrist. Around her throat was a small cameo held in place by a blue ribbon. Harry couldn't help but smile at how she had followed the traditions.

"You look beautiful, Hermione. Are you ready?"

"Yes, Harry. Let's go."

It was two o'clock, the two professors bowed in respect to the wedding party. Harry thought they both looked rather misty-eyed as Ron and Ginny led the way toward where Dumbledore was standing. He looked very impressive as he was dressed in his Wizengamot robes. The masquerade was a part of the ceremony. Harry used his staff, Hermione helping him along as they walked slowly toward their testor. There were murmurs from the crowd, they believed that he was still crippled from the attack of the previous November. It was part of the Order's strategy that the wizarding world would think that Harry had been allowed to marry because he needed someone to help take care of him.

When they reached the appointed place Hermione stepped out of her slippers, then she knelt to help Harry step out of his, as Dumbledore reached out to steady him. They turned to face each other as Dumbledore began the ceremony.

"We have met in this place to join these two in marriage. Are there any who have any objections to their being married at this time?" The crowd was silent.

"As testor I have objection, Harry James Potter, you are not of age to decide, on your own, to marry. What say you?"

Harry spoke clearly so that all could hear, "I have written permission from my guardians and family to marry." He handed Dumbledore the signed parchment.

"My objection is answered. Hermione Jane Granger, you are not of age to decide, on your own, to marry. What say you?"

Hermione raised her voice, "I have written permission from my parents, now deceased, to marry Harry." She gave over the paper her father had written Boxing Day, the day that seemed part of someone else's life.

"My objection is answered. However, you are students and the decision is not yours alone."

An elderly wizard stepped forward, "On behalf of the Board of Governors we, after careful consideration, have granted special permission for these students to marry." He too handed a parchment to Dumbledore.

"Be it known that all proper objections to this ceremony have been raised and duly answered. We will therefore continue."

Cornelius Fudge raised his voice, "I wish it known that as of this day, as the result of his marriage, Harry Potter, and his fiancee, Hermione Granger, are released from the restrictions on underage sorcery, and are from this day forward considered legally adults."

If Dumbledore was irritated by the interruption he did not show it. "Thank you, Minister, your proclamation will be noted in the record of the ceremony.

He turned toward Harry. "Repeat after me. I, Harry James Potter, take you Hermione Granger to be my wife.- All that I am and all that I have I give to you.- I will love you above all others, honor you before all others, and cherish you beyond all others.- I will be faithful to you from now until one of us dies.- With this ring I thee wed.

After Harry repeated his vows, Dumbledore turned to Hermione, "Will you, Hermione Jane Granger, accept Harry's ring, as a symbol of his love, a token of his promise, and an earnest of his endowment?"

Her voice trembled as she said, "Yes, I will." She extended her left hand, palm toward Harry with her fingers up. Harry took her ring from Ron and slipped it onto her ring finger. Then, as he had been instructed, he placed his palm against hers. At once her ring began to glow with a soft, golden light. The glow spread quickly over her hand, creeping down her arm like St. Elmo's fire until she was completely cocooned in an aura of golden light.

Harry looked at her in amazement. Unsure if he could maintain contact he laced his fingers through hers and held her hand.

Dumbledore, with a smile at the look on Harry's face turned to Hermione and said, "Repeat after me. I, Hermione Jane Granger, take you, Harry Potter, to be my husband. -

All that I am and all that I have I give to you. - I will love you above all others, honor you before all others, and cherish you beyond all others. - I will be faithful to you from now until one of us dies. - With this ring I thee wed.

Dumbledore asked Harry, "Will you Harry James Potter, accept Hermione's ring, as a symbol of her love, a token of her promise, and an earnest of her endowment?"

Harry answered, "Yes, I will." He extended his hand as Hermione had done. Ginny handed her Harry's ring. She slipped the ring on his finger. When she placed her palm against his, his ring began to glow and the same golden light surrounded him as well.

"You have given each other rings, these rings are symbols of completeness and protection. May your love make each of you whole and your partnership grant you comfort and protection against the struggles of life. Placed side by side they are the symbol of eternity. Today you join the cycle of life, you stand as progeny of the former generation and as progenitors of the next. By virtue of your union, unto you is granted the power of creating new life. May your children bless your lives as you have blessed ours. I admonish you to nurture your children with love and raise them in the light of your wisdom and knowledge. Will you so promise?"

Harry and Hermione promised, "We will."

Dumbledore lowered his voice and spoke quietly to the young couple. "To this point there is nothing that may not be undone, beyond this you are committed until death. You understand?" They nodded. "Shall I continue? No one will think less of you if you wish to wait, it is obvious that you love each other very much."

Harry looked to her and Hermione nodded to Harry. He said, "Please continue, whatever problems come, we will solve them together."

Dumbledore raised his voice again. "You have entered this place as two. By your will and your promise, you leave this place as one." He reached out and placed his aged hands around the couple's youthful ones, bowed his head, and said, "It is done."

The light surrounding them began to change, it grew brighter and it's color went from gold through white until it took on a blue-white intensity that was almost too bright to look at. For long moments the light burned until the crowd began to murmur in wonder. At last it began to fade, slowly dimming until it was gone. Dumbledore whispered, "The nimbus is considered by many to be an indicator of the depth of the couple's commitment. It appears you exceed everyone's expectations yet again. I've seen a few as bright as yours, but they didn't burn so long. I've seen many burn longer but not so brightly."

Harry stared in amazement at Hermione's veil and robes. Her robe looked as though the fabric had been transformed into softly glowing light and her veil looked like a network of incandescent wires. Looking down he saw that his own robe had undergone the same transformation. It looked as though they were clothed with light.

Dumbledore spoke to Hermione, "Now comes the time of naming, how shall you be called?"

"The name of Potter is an honorable one, because of the love that Harry bears for me and in the tradition of my mothers, I am proud to take my husband's name. I shall be Hermione Jane Potter."

Dumbledore bowed his acknowledgement. After a moment he said, "It's done, Harry, you're married, aren't you going to kiss your bride?" Harry lifted Hermione's veil, her eyes were bright and her smile was brighter that her robes. His lips met hers in their first married kiss, he found it as warm and electric as their first kiss just before Christmas, and just as suddenly he wished his parents and Sirius could have seen it.

"My friends," Dumbledore addressed the crowd, "I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Harry Potter." Blushing and smiling the new Potter family turned to face the crowd of well wishers.

Dumbledore continued, "Our wedding today is incorporating a few Muggle traditions as our celebrants have been raised by Muggles. They have long cherished dreams of their wedding day, we have tried to accommodate them as much as possible. One such tradition is called the reception. If you will come to the Great Hall refreshments will be provided a gift to the Potters from the house-elves. There you may greet our new family, as this marks the end of the Potters day to day involvement in the activities of the school I encourage our students to come and wish them well."

After again helping him with his slippers, Hermione took Harry's arm and began to slowly help him toward the Great Hall. Dumbledore gave a shrill whistle and Fawkes appeared, perching on Harry's shoulder he and Hermione vanished in a flash of red-golden fire.