Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Nineteen: Boxing Day

Harry woke suddenly, he lay in bed for a little while, then unable to go back to sleep, he decided to go to the sitting room. He got dressed, made up the bed, took his potion, and went to make up the fire.

To his surprise Hermione was sitting on the sofa in her robe. Her back was against one of the arms, her knees drawn up and her arms encircling them. Her slippers were on the floor. "I couldn't sleep, so I decided to come sit by the fire and think," she explained.

"What about?" Harry asked.

"All my life my parents talked to me about growing up and getting married. When I was little they read me stories. As I grew they told me I would meet boys and they explained to me about dating, how to behave, what was considered proper. They told me one day I would meet one that I liked more than the rest, and if he liked me enough he would ask me to marry him. Mum said I'd probably know the one before he knew, but that was our little secret," she smiled.

As she was talking to him Harry patted her foot sympathetically. Her feet were cold, so he drew them into his lap and in an effort to warm her he began to chafe them.

"That feels nice, Harry, thanks," she said as she turned slightly pink. After a few minutes she asked him, "Harry, it's not fair, I was…am…hoping to marry you," she blushed furiously. "Now you know everything about what I want, I don't know what you think. Can you-do you-have any idea…any idea at all about what you want…for us?"

Harry dropped his gaze to the embers in the fireplace, his fingers were absentmindedly exploring the various textures on Hermione's feet and toes. "I'm sorry, Hermione, this seems to be happening so fast. Like I told you before, marriage was for someday, I never considered it might be for now. I guess it was for sometime when I was away from my aunt and uncle. I wonder, could your father be trying to keep me from hurting you? That I might be more considerate of your feelings if I knew how you felt? I know I have hurt other people's feelings because I spoke without thinking first." Hermione considered this for a minute and she shook her head. After a minute he asked her, "Do you really think marriage offers some magical protection against Voldemort?"

It was Hermione's turn to look away. After a couple of minutes she answered quietly, "I hope so, Harry."

Harry had begun to massage her feet and ankles as he waited for her to answer. After a minute or two he asked her, "Do you really love me that much or are you just trying to protect me?"

"Those were two very good questions, Harry," interrupted Hugh. Harry and Hermione both jumped and looked to the staircase. They had not heard him come down the steps. "One, shouldn't you be getting dressed? I thought you were visiting the Weasley's today."

Hermione jumped up, "Boxing Day! I forgot. Do you think you can go, Harry? I don't really want to go if you can't come."

"You will have to ask Mr. Weasley," Hugh told his daughter. "Harry, why don't you help me with breakfast, Janet will be down in a moment."

They walked into the kitchen as Hermione grabbed her slippers and ran upstairs. "You better be careful young Harry," Hugh explained. "The female of the species finds foot rubbing to be habit forming. Their habit, not yours. You'll find that every time she has a hard day she will come, park her feet in your lap and want you to make it all better, not that she'll actually expect you to do anything, remember mainly she will want you to listen while she talks," he smiled. "And if you think she has long days often, just wait until she becomes pregnant," he said as he rolled his eyes.

At first Harry laughed, then he blushed, the picture of Hermione pregnant was slightly alarming so he busied himself scrambling some eggs.

When they had all gathered for breakfast Hugh apologized to his daughter, "One, I'm really sorry about spoiling your surprise for Harry. You know I didn't do it on purpose?"

Hermione nodded, but she still looked slightly put out. Hugh acknowledged her forgiveness, "Thank you." He sighed trying to think of how best to continue. "Stress can create a false feeling of relationship, we are concerned this may be happening to you two. It's called the Stockholm Syndrome if you want to look it up."

"Yeah, you tell that to Voldemort," Hermione snapped. She took a deep breath trying to control her temper.

"No one said it is your fault, or that you could help it, One," said Janet soothingly. "But didn't this realization of how much you loved Harry come when you believed he was dead and you thought you had lost the opportunity to tell him?"

"Yes, but don't you understand," her expression reflected the horror of the memory, "He was laying in the street, bleeding, dead for all I knew and if Voldemort kills Harry it's practically the end of everything we know. I'm trying to do this for everyone."

"You don't know for sure marrying Harry will really help, do you?" Hugh's tone was impatient as he reacted to the sharpness in Hermione's voice. "If you could give me proof I might agree with you, Hermione Jane, but you can't, can you? All you have is a statistical anomaly."

Hermione shook her head as her shoulders slumped in defeat. Harry placed his arm around her, gently he cupped his hand around her chin and made her look at him.

"Hermione, I'm deeply honored that you love me so much-that you'd sacrifice so much, just for me." She smiled slightly at the note of awe in his voice and the love in his eyes.

Hugh continued, "We're not trying to forbid you two from ever getting married, we just want you to wait until you are through with your schooling. Look, there are only three possible final outcomes for Voldemort's confrontation with Harry."

Hermione whispered to Harry, "I hate it when he gets logical." Janet, overhearing her, allowed the ghost of a smile to flicker across her face. Harry took her hand in support.

Hugh was aware that some communication had passed between mother and daughter but he carried on, "First, Voldemort kills Harry. If that happens we are doomed, you believe it and I am coming to. In that case you won't need your education. We will all be dead. I do understand that you believe marrying Harry will give him a better chance to survive and this won't happen.

"Second, Voldemort and Harry kill each other. It could happen whether you two are married or not. You will still be alive, Hermione, even if you don't want to be. Just as an aside, this world is a wonderful place, in spite of monsters like Voldemort. Life is a great gift, even if you are grieving. I would want your mother to go on if something happens to me. Experience all of life you can, never throw your life away. If you are a widow you will have Harry's assets, how ever much that is, but you will need to support yourself as you and the others rebuild your world. After his money runs out you will need a job. For that you need an education, and that will be easier to get if you can devote all your attention to it, rather than dividing your time between your studies and your husband."

Hermione looked at Harry. She had seen the gold in his vault. She suspected that the locket he had given her was expensive. She also remembered what Lupin had told her. Suddenly she realized that something was not adding up. How much money did Harry really have?

"Third, Harry kills Voldemort, and you live happily ever after. I hope so, One, with all my heart, I hope so. Then both of you will need your education. You will have lives, rebuilding together what was lost. You will have children to raise and old age to plan for. The time to lay the foundation for that is now, before you get too deeply involved with each other. Your mother and I know this to be true, and I don't think the wizarding world is that much different from ours in this respect. That is why we want you to finish Hogwarts, at least, before you marry. In fact, we insist on it." Harry watched as Hermione bristled.

"So that's it! You are going to make a decision, for me, about a world you can never be a part of or have a place in, with no recourse or appeal! How arrogant!" she fumed.

Hugh, tight lipped, said, "Yes, Hermione Jane, we are."

Whether Hermione would have tried to argue further, Harry never found out. They were interrupted by Arthur Weasley's voice calling, "Hello, anybody home?"

"We're in the kitchen, Arthur. Please come in." Hugh answered.

Arthur walked into the kitchen, smiling happily. His smile faded as he recognized the tension in the room, Hermione was plainly unhappy and Hugh and Janet's expressions reminded him of Molly's whenever she had to stop one of their sons from doing something she considered improper. He did a fast double take when he recognized Harry sitting next to Hermione.

"Hello, Harry, is this where Professor Dumbledore has been hiding you?" Harry nodded. "Brilliant, that man never ceases to amaze me. Would you like to come home for Boxing Day?"

"If it's ok with you, I'd like to come," Harry smiled. "Let me go get my staff." He reassumed the slow, jerky movements that he exhibited the last time Mr. Weasley had seen him.

"Let me get it for you, Harry." Hermione volunteered. She returned a couple of minutes later with it.

Arthur handed Hermione a small pouch, "There is enough floo powder here for the two of you. I'll Apparate along in a minute. Tell Molly to set an extra place at the table."

************************************************************************

Molly Weasley was cooking when her attention was attracted by an odd sound. Turning slightly she saw the hand on the clock, the one with Harry's name on it, swinging into the position marked "home".

She turned to face the fireplace as the flame turned green. In a moment Harry lurched into the kitchen. Molly, tears of joy sparking in her eyes, steadied him by giving him a warm hug. "Harry, how wonderful to see you. Where have you been?"

"He's been at my house, Mrs. Weasley," Hermione said as she followed Harry into the kitchen. "Mr. Weasley said he'd Apparate home, he will be here in minute or two."

"Have you two had a good holiday so far?"

Harry and Hermione just looked at each other and smiled. Molly beamed at them.

"See the locket Harry got me for Christmas," Hermione began as she removed it from her neck. "Isn't it beautiful?" She proudly opened it for Molly.

Molly's eyes widened in surprise. "Is this goblin-wrought gold?" He nodded. "Pardon me, Harry, but this must have been very expensive."

Harry was distressed, "Everyone asks about that, but I don't remember...I negotiated the price on the day I got hurt. Dr. Granger says I suffered some memory loss because of the injury. I seem to remember the price seemed fair, but I've never bought anything like this before."

Molly patted Harry's arm consolingly, "Don't fret, Harry, everything will work out."

"My, that is impressive," interjected Arthur as he examined Hermione's locket. He had just come through the kitchen door. "And very beautiful." Molly noticed he looked at Hermione with an odd expression on his face. He continued, "Why don't you run upstairs and talk to Ron, he has some interesting news."

"Yes, he's been dying to tell you," Molly agreed, "I'm surprised he hasn't come down."

They made their way up the stairs to the top of the house to Ron's room. Hermione knocked on the door. "Hi, Ron, it's us."

"Come in," Ron called. Harry's immediate impression was that there was not as much orange as before. Ron was lounging on his bed reading a large book. He looked up as they entered. His expression changed slightly, he frowned at Harry, "I thought that might be you, Harry. I'm mad at you. It was pretty rude of you to leave without telling Hermione goodbye. Your thoughtlessness really hurt her feelings. Did you know she was almost in tears?"

"Yes, I know, she already yelled at me," Harry confessed. Unable to look at Ron, he was gazing at some new posters on Ron's wall. One had a skeleton on it with the names of the bones labeled on it. Another had a figure with the names of all the muscles on it. A third had all of the internal organs displayed.

"He did try to leave me a note, Ron," Hermione explained, "it got stuck to his books."

Somewhat mollified, Ron began to grin, "Guess what, I've finally decided what I'd like to do."

"You mean you don't want to be an Auror anymore?" asked Harry.

Ron's face fell, "No, Harry, I can't, after we fought the Death Eaters that day…and Rookwood…died, and we thought you were dead…I just couldn't…handle it." He grew pale as he remembered. Hermione, responding to his distress, sat beside him on the edge of his bed, her hand on his shoulder. Ron smiled ruefully at Harry, "At least now I can see the Thestrals too." Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Ohh! Harry!" Hermione interjected, "I can too. They're very strange aren't they, especially their eyes."

Harry could only nod. He felt it reassuring somehow that his friends had joined him in this ability. He felt that in some way they were more connected.

Ron sat up and closed the book he had been reading, "Anyway, because of what happened that day, I've decided I want to become a Healer."

Harry was stunned, "Go Ron! I think that's great!" He glanced around looking for a chair. He found one and sat down beside the door. Ron stood, moving to help Harry sit down.

Hermione's jaw had dropped open as she stared at Ron, then with a screech of joy she stood up and threw her arms around him in a big hug, "Ron! That's amazing!" She stood back, "You're going to be a wonderful Healer, Ron, I just know it," she gushed.

Ron grinned, grateful for the confidence his friends had in him. "I'll be the first one in our family," he said as he sat down on the edge of his bed. "I was able to buy my books with the reward money, and Professor Dumbledore arranged for me to work with Madam Pomfrey so I can start learning. He even got Professor Snape to take me in his NEWT potions class. I'll be on probation, though. Anyway I figured you could use all the help you could get, you don't want to go through life looking like 'Mad-Eye' Moody do you?"

Harry and Hermione both laughed. "Me either, Ron, I'm going to train as an Auror too," she added.

Harry could not help but be slightly jealous that Snape had taken Ron when he would not take him. "Since you're behind you can look at my notes," he offered.

"Thanks, Harry."

"Ron, we have some news for you too," said Hermione as she sat down beside him on the bed. "Harry and I are together, Ron, he said he loves me too."

Ron's expression did not change as heard what Hermione told him. To his surprise the information did not hurt like he thought it would. Perhaps he had been expecting it. With a heavy sigh he began, "I guess congratulations are in order, I hope you'll be happy," his voice was mechanical.

Hermione leaned close to Ron and spoke quietly so that Harry could not hear. "Ron, I hope you find someone, I want you to be as happy as I am. I'm sorry I can't give you what you want from me." Ron nodded to her. "I hope you'll let me be your friend and I can't tell you how proud I am of you." She gently reached out and turned his face toward her, then she kissed him softly on his lips.

Ron was momentarily startled but he returned her kiss. There was no passion but he felt her love and gratitude. In that moment most of his jealousy was swept away. Hermione had shared what she could with him. It wasn't what he wanted, but for now it would do.

Harry was surprised at what happened between his friends, but before he could react he felt a hand touch his shoulder, "Harry? What's going on?"

He looked up expecting to see Ginny but it was Luna Lovegood. "I don't know, Luna," he said quietly, "but it feels like they are saying goodbye."

At the sound of Luna's voice Ron and Hermione broke apart. Ron recovering from his surprise first said, "Hello, Luna, come in, I've just been telling Hermione and Harry about my training to become a Healer. They are both happy for me."

Luna, her voice cooler that usual said, "Your mom wants all of you down in the kitchen. Ginny too."

Hermione had stood up quickly and crossed over to Harry. As she helped Harry to his feet, she whispered, "I'm so sorry, Luna…I-I …was trying to tell Ron…" she began to blush, "Harry and I are together…I just wanted to wish him luck. Please forgive me," she said unable to meet Luna's eyes.

Luna looked at Harry. He was looking at Hermione, his eyes were shining. "Harry-,"

"Said he loves me too, Luna," interrupted Hermione.

Luna looked slightly happier, "Congratulations. Did Ron tell you that I am studying to be a Healer too?"

"He didn't mention it to us, because of your mother?" replied Harry.

Luna nodded. Ron joined them and they trooped down the stairs to Ginny's door. He knocked calling her name.

"Go away, Ron! No, you can't practice on me!" Ginny answered.

"It's not that, Ginny. Harry and Hermione are here and Mum wants us in the kitchen," Ron replied, grinning broadly.

Ginny opened the door, blushing furiously. "That's our new family joke," she said hastily. "Ron hasn't really been practicing on anybody. Really!"

They all laughed and went down to the kitchen to help with lunch. Their lunch was simple but as Fred and George joined them it was cozy and full of laughter. Evidently their business was still booming. Hermione sitting next to Harry laughed with everyone else but did not contribute much to the general flow of conversation.

After cleaning away the lunch things they went back upstairs, leaving Arthur and Molly talking quietly in the kitchen.

When they all arrived in Ron's room Ginny gasped, "Hermione, where did you get that locket?"

She smiled and took it from around her neck. "Harry gave it to me for Christmas," she explained as they passed it around. "Goblins made it." Hermione did not open it. Somehow she did not feel comfortable sharing the message within it with the whole group.

Luna and the Weasleys were all impressed by her gift. Harry told them the general details of its construction including how it figured in the ill-fated Hogsmeade visit.

"Is something wrong, Hermione? You haven't been yourself today," continued Ginny.

"My parents and I are having a disagreement, I'm just mad at them," she confessed.

Harry was sitting next to her. In a gesture of support he took her hand "She was so angry Hermione even threatened not to go back home after she left for school," Harry told them, his voice was awestruck.

"They're Muggles aren't they? How can they interfere?" asked Fred.

"It's…something…I think is important, but I'm not of age," she said quietly.

"How did you know about their fight, Harry?" asked Luna.

"This is supposed to be a secret, Harry has been staying with us for the holidays. Please don't tell anyone, it might put my parents in danger," answered Hermione.

Ginny's face lit with a sudden smile. "Did Harry finally figure out how he feels about you, Hermione? You're together now aren't you?" she giggled.

In spite of herself Hermione blushed as she nodded her assent.

"Way to go, Harry!!" Fred and George exulted, slapping him on the back. Ron nodded his agreement, his face neutral. Luna quietly gave them her congratulations again, but she was watching Ron out of the corner of her eye.

"Hermione, if you don't want to go home after the term. We can put you up at our store. You can work for us and we'll pay you to help develop our new products. We will stay at the Leaky Cauldron. No one need know that you are there," offered George. The others were making comments of agreement, taking offense at Hermione's parent's attitude.

In her anger, Harry could tell she was considering their offer. At last she shook her head, "I need more time to think about it." She looked at Harry.

At that moment he had a flash of insight.

"What, Harry?" she asked.

"I just realized how much your parents love you. They know you can do exactly what Fred and George are offering. You and Ron stayed with me at Christmas before. You changed your plans last year because of Mr. Weasley and me. They told you no anyway, risking your anger and leaving, doing their best to set you-us on the right path…whether we liked it or not. Hermione, maybe we should just do as they ask.

The others suddenly realized the disagreement was not a simple family spat. But Harry and Hermione were spared further questions by Arthur's voice calling from downstairs, "Harry! Hermione! Could you come down? Molly and I want to speak with you two."

"Coming Mr. Weasley!" Hermione called back.

As they rose to go, no one noticed the flesh-colored string being withdrawn from under Ron's door.

Hermione helped Harry as he limped down the stairs.