Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Twenty-Six: The Governors Speak

A couple of days later Hermione was sitting alone at breakfast when Hedwig landed beside her carrying a note in her beak. She was puzzled as she broke the wax sealing the note shut. Opening it she read,

Dear Hermione,

We will have a memorial for your parents tonight. I will pick you up at the common room at seven fifteen.

This is a formal occasion so wear your dress robes.

Love, Harry

That evening she met Harry in front of the portrait of the Fat Lady. He lead her downstairs toward the Great Hall. Hermione noticed that Harry was looking rather nervous.

"What's wrong, Harry?" she inquired.

"I asked Professor Dumbledore to do the memorial for your parents and he refused."

Hermione was disappointed, "Did he say why, Harry? I'm sure he must have a good reason."

He said that it was a good idea and that I should carry it out. He made a room available, provided the candles, and said he'll be here. They went through the Great Hall into the chamber where Harry had met the other Triwizard champions.

Once in the room Hermione noticed a sofa and some chairs arranged around an unlit candle. She heard voices in the Great Hall, turning she saw Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall followed by Arthur and Molly Weasley.

As they entered Harry and Hermione greeted them and they arranged themselves around the candle. "Professor Lupin asked me to convey his apologies, he is on an extremely important mission for the Order and is unable to be here. Harry your arrangements for the memorial look to be in order, well done," said Dumbledore.

Harry picked up a box of tapers and handed them around. He pointed his wand at the large candle and commanded, "Incindio," then he extinguished all the other lights. His voice trembled as he began, "Doctors Hugh and Janet Granger have passed from this life and we are here to honor their memory." As Dumbledore had done so many months ago, Harry rose, stepped to the large candle, and lit his taper. His hand was shaking as he did so.

"From the Grangers I have learned about family. They demonstrated respect, generosity, and kindness. I was able to better understand what I saw in other families because in their small group the lessons were so clear. They have made me a better person for knowing them even if it was for so short a time."

The tears became evident in his voice as he continued. "They welcomed me even though I was a stranger. When I was in need they came to me and used all their skills to try to make me whole again. I was alone and they took me in and treated me as one of their own." Harry cried as he managed to finish, "I … I miss them. It's just not fair," he said as he sat down again. Hermione placed a comforting hand on his shoulder briefly, then she took his hand. In the dim light, the flame of Harry's taper wavered as he wept silently.

Albus Dumbledore stood next. He lit his taper and began, "Through the Grangers I saw anew the wonder of magic. Not of wands and incantations, because they knew little of those. They dwelt in awe of the magic in the world around us, like the stillness before the sunrise and in the grandeur of it's setting, and in the simple things which we tend to ignore, the songs of birds and the laughter of children. It is a great thing not to lose sight of the wonders of the world in which we live, those who don't, never seem to grow old.

"They understood the magic of joy, and they passed it on to all around them. They practiced the magic of kindness and they knew the pleasure of making others smile. They wore respect for others as armor and wielded compassion and understanding as weapons against the darkness in the world around them, and as instruments of healing to those they encountered. They stayed so busy practicing their own magic, they possessed no jealousy for ours. I am forced to wonder, for all of our gifts and talents, whose magic will make the greater difference in the world around us. I miss them too, the world will be a colder and darker place without them." Hermione could see his tears in the light of his candle."

Professor McGonagall stood and lit her candle. "I'm sorry I didn't have the chance to know your parents better, Hermione. However, I know them through you. I saw them as they struggled to come to you when you needed them most. They were disciplined, hard working, and very thorough, I know this because you grew up imitating them.

"You are a gem, Hermione, their love has polished you and you shine in their light. I grieve with you, my dear." Instead of sitting down she stood next to Hermione and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Arthur and Molly stood and lit their tapers. Arthur spoke for the two of them, "We related to your parents as parents ourselves. We couldn't imagine the task they undertook. They had to raise you to take your place in a world they couldn't enter. They have done a magnificent job, Hermione. There aren't many that are as kind, caring, or interested in those around themselves as you are. Those are traits your parents instilled in you. They taught you to value learning and curiosity. They've enabled you to succeed by modeling those traits for you. They understood that the discipline needed to be successful in either world is the same and they taught you to be as disciplined as they were. We're sorry for your loss, Hermione, if there is anything you need or that we can do for you please ask." They sat down again with tears in their eyes and their expressions anxious for her.

At last Hermione stood and lit her taper. She had listened to what the others had said about her parents. She sat down again and for an hour and a half she told them stories, hoping that they would be able to see her parents as she had known them. At times she was choked by her emotions and they all cried with her.

She ended her stories and said, "Thank you for this, it's been wonderful. In the common room …they try, but I can tell they're not really interested because they didn't know my parents."

Harry stood to end the ceremony, "The Grangers have given us their wisdom as this candle has given its light-,"

Hermione interrupted him. "Please, Harry, let me." Harry nodded to her. Hermione got up and with tears in her eyes she looked at the flame, "Mum, Dad, I love you," she choked, she looked at Harry, "Is it really that peaceful there?"

Harry nodded his head, "Yes, it is, Hermione."

Hermione directed her attention back to the candle, "Don't worry about me, I'll be ok. … one day I'll be along. I'll see you again … 'till then … 'bye," she whispered as she snuffed out the candle.

Harry continued, "Their light has gone out now, but the light of their wisdom and knowledge we take with us as we leave. Go in peace."

It just seemed natural that they exit in pairs, Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall led followed by Arthur and Molly. When they had passed through the Great Hall they extinguished their tapers. Dumbledore said, "It is very late. Minerva, will you escort Miss Granger to her dormitory?" Professor McGonagall nodded her assent.

Hermione thanked the Weasleys for coming. She threw her arms around Harry's neck, "Thanks, Harry, it was a wonderful idea, I see now what you meant that day on the beach." She followed Professor McGonagall up the stairs toward the Gryffindor common room.

"Harry would you please escort your guests to the Apparition point."

"Yes, Professor," answered Harry. "Thank you for allowing the ceremony."

"You're welcome, Harry. This is something you need to learn to do. As you grow older the responsibility will fall to you more and more often. You did well tonight, my congratulations to you, Harry."

Harry escorted the Weasleys to the front gate, and then returned to his room.

The next morning Harry was eating breakfast, when he was joined by Ron and Hermione. He was glad to see that Hermione seemed more relaxed than he had seen her in a while. After breakfast they parted company with Ron. Hermione was holding Harry's hand as they walked to their class. As they passed an empty classroom Hermione hooked her elbow around his and drew him into it. Harry looked at her she was blushing and her breast was rising and falling rapidly. She looked into his eyes and whispered, "Yes, Harry, I want to marry you."

Harry couldn't help smiling at her. She smiled back and melted against him.

"Then I guess I'll make an appointment to talk to Professor Dumbledore," he said.

"Mum said that the Board of Governor's has the final say, Harry," Hermione told him.

Harry thought for a moment. "Your Dad said Dumbledore didn't like the idea of us getting married, didn't he?" Hermione nodded. "I think I will petition the Board directly. If the Board approves he can't say no."

"You need written permission from your guardians too."

"Ok, I'll talk to Lupin tonight."

That evening Harry talked to Lupin. If he thought that his guardian was just going to rubber stamp what the Grangers had done for Hermione he was mistaken. "Harry, Hermione's parents raised her with the intention that she would marry someday. They provided her with an understanding of how relationships are supposed to work. The marriage you have observed most closely is the one between your aunt and uncle."

Harry was horrified as Lupin continued, "Fortunately, no matter how badly they treated you, they have a successful marriage. At least it gives us a place to start."

For more than an hour he wracked Harry with questions about responsibilities, what did he expect her to do? What did she expect from him? How would chores be divided? About children, when and how many, and questions about discipline. Harry finally had a long list of topics he needed to discuss with Hermione.

For the next three days Harry talked to Lupin. The last day Hermione dropped in and joined their discusson. Lupin was pleased with the answers they provided. At last he agreed to give his permission.

"Hermione, this is the first time I've had a chance to talk to you since you recovered your memories," Lupin told her. "I have a confession. As a teacher I knew that your memory had been modified though I didn't know the reason why. I didn't let you take on that first Boggart because I didn't know if it could read your true memories and I had no idea of the form it would take. I talked to Flitwick and he assured me it couldn't. So I let you tackle the one at the end of the year. I wonder if you would have done better if I had let you try against the first one, I'm sorry."

He signed off with the promise that Harry would have his written permission as soon as he could post it and promised to see if he could get the Weasleys to sign as well.

"What now Harry?" Hermione asked. "Do you have a date in mind?"

"How about the first day of the Easter break? That would give us about six weeks. If that's ok with you, I'll send the petition to the Board of Governors and we'll see what they have to say."

"Ok, Harry," she agreed. "I guess it's time to break out my Christmas gift from Mrs. Weasley." Harry looked puzzled. "The little book she gave me, its title is 101 Useful Household Spells."

Several days later Harry and Hermione were at supper together. They were just about finished when Professor McGonagall approached and told them to follow her. She led them to Professor Dumbledore's office.

Dumbledore's demeanor was serious, he didn't appear to be angry, but he was definitely unhappy. His eyes had lost their usual twinkle.

He held up an envelope, "Why have you done this, instead of coming to me, Mr. Potter?" He stared at the two of them.

His gaze made Harry a little nervous, but he spoke firmly, "It was told to me that you didn't approve of us getting married, rather than risk your disapproval, I petitioned the Board of Governors directly. I believed that if they denied us there was a chance that you wouldn't find out and wouldn't be upset. If they allowed us to marry then you would have no choice but to go along with it, but no matter what happens in the future you couldn't feel responsible, because you were just following the board's orders."

"So I am to believe that you acted like this to spare my feelings? Are you really so naïve that you believed that the board would deny you, Harry Potter, The-Boy-Who-Lived, anything?" he snorted.

"Not really, Professor," Harry shrugged, "but there was that chance."

"A life lesson, Mr. Potter. It doesn't pay to antagonize your immediate supervisors and coworkers by going over their heads. You will find that they can make your life miserable if they wish. As for my not approving of you getting married, Miss Granger's parents may have misunderstood what I meant when I told them it wouldn't be my first choice for you. They may not have understood that I regard such choices as yours. If you allowed me to guide you I would have, and still do, advise against it, but the final decision is and always has been yours."

Dumbledore fixed him with a stare that made Harry feel like he was being x-rayed. "Why do you suddenly feel the need to marry Miss Granger?"

Harry sighed, "Everything changed when Hermione's parents were killed. I always felt that Voldemort was just after me. I never thought about the risk that he posed to others, his attack brought this home. He's coming after me and I can't avoid him forever. There are no guarantees that I will survive. In the meantime I'd like to have a family, something I've never had. I don't want Hermione to be lonely like I've been. Please don't misunderstand, I don't want this because I think I'm going to die. I want this because I want to live, and more than anything I want to live with Hermione. She loves me and I love her too." Hermione smiled and took Harry's hand. "I know it's asking a lot because I'm not legally an adult, but I think it's the best course for our future. If we become one through our marriage, maybe it will give us a better chance against him."

Dumbledore smiled slightly, "It's good that you understand that you are asking for special treatment. I take it you have written permission from your guardians?" Hermione had the letter her parents had given her. Harry showed him the letter Lupin had sent including signatures of the Weasleys, and to Hermione's surprise, the Dursleys as well. Dumbledore looked at her, "Professor McGonagall, you are technically Miss Granger's guardian, what do you say?"

"Her parents have given her permission to marry if she felt she needed to, I won't cross their expressed will in this matter." Hermione smiled gratefully at her.

Dumbledore sighed, "I wish you had come to me first, the board will impose restrictions on your interaction with unmarried students. We could have submitted a plan for them to approve and perhaps negotiated with them. Since you went to them directly you will have to abide by their sanctions or remain single. Let's see what they have to say."

Dear Mr. Potter,

We have received your petition asking to be allowed to marry Miss Hermione Granger. We feel we would be remiss in our duties if we did not advise against this. In our experience it is inadvisable for students to marry. This should be a time for you to complete your education, and the time you need to spend to nurture a marriage relationship will take away from time better spent on your studies.

However, to be fair, we contacted Headmaster Dumbledore to ask his opinion. He has informed us that you are exceptional students. Miss Granger is highly motivated and extremely disciplined and you are very talented. He informed us that if any two students could balance the demands of school and marriage it would be the two of you.

We know your history, Mr. Potter. The wizarding community owes you a great debt, more than we can ever repay. Nor are we ignorant of the tragedy that has befallen your bride-elect. Given this commonality in your backgrounds it should be, perhaps, expected that you should find a special solace in each other's company. Therefore, based on the headmaster's recommendation, we will grant your petition and allow you to marry.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief as Hermione blushed crimson at being referred to as Harry's bride-elect. "Thank you for your recommendation, Professor Dumbledore," said Harry gratefully. Dumbledore nodded his acceptance and continued reading.

While we will allow your marriage, we know from experience gained through the centuries that it is best for all concerned for married students to be segregated from the non-married student population. From the time of your marriage you will be considered adults by the faculty and be required to abide by the following restrictions.

You will be given suitable quarters, designed to protect the privacy due to a newly wed couple.

You will be allowed to attend classes without restriction, and be allowed full library privileges.

You will be allowed unrestricted access to the village of Hogsmead. Both for the purpose of recreation and to allow you to contract medical and apothecary services not provided by the school.

Harry looked puzzled by this, Hermione, blushing furiously, whispered, "They're talking about birth control and pre-natal care in case I become pregnant."

You will be nominal members of Gryffindor house and will graduate with them. However you will no longer be a part of their day to day activities. Your actions will not gain or lose points in the competition for the house cup. You are forbidden to enter their common room except for special occasions for which you will be issued a pass by the head of the house.

You will take your meals in your quarters. For all feasts you will be seated at the head table with the teachers or, at the headmasters discretion, a private table.

You will not be allowed to hold any student office and will be required to resign any office you currently hold. The only organizations you may participate in must be open to students from all houses.

At this Hermione unpinned her prefect's badge and tossed it onto Dumbledore's desk. Harry looked stricken as she did this, "It doesn't matter, Harry, I'd rather be with you than be a prefect. You remember how disappointed I was when you were passed over, I was hoping we could be prefects together. You will still have to give up the presidency of the dueling club and you already had to give up Quidditch."

We realize that you have friends among the unmarried students. You may entertain them in your quarters from six to eight o'clock on weekdays, and from noon to nine o'clock on weekends. It is your responsibility to chaperone any single students in your quarters. Granting unmarried students access to your private quarters will be grounds for expulsion.

"It is signed by all twelve of the governors. They were more generous than they might have been. I don't think we could have negotiated a fairer set of restrictions." He picked up Hermione's badge and walked over to her, gently he took her hand, placed the badge on her palm, and closed her fingers around it. "I'll take this to mean you accept the board's restrictions on your activities. Your resignation won't be effective until your wedding and you should keep the badge as a souvenir of your school career."

"Have you picked your wedding day?" asked Professor McGonagall.

Harry answered, "Yes, Professor, we hoped we could be married on the first day of the Easter break."

"Who is going to be your testor?" asked Dumbledore.

"I haven't mentioned this to Harry, Professor, but I was hoping you would perform the blessing," Hermione said shyly. "But if you can't, I hope you will provide us with the best choice."

"I would be honored to perform the blessing for you, Miss Granger," he smiled.

"The last question is where will the ceremony be performed?" asked McGonagall.

"We were going to ask the Weasleys if we could be married at the Burrow, after we secured permission," Harry informed her. "Then we'd spend the rest of the holiday at Number Twelve."

"Mr. Potter, I know what the Weasleys told you about the small size of weddings in the wizarding community. However there is always enormous interest where you are concerned. May I make a suggestion?"

Harry looked at Hermione. "Of course, Professor, we'd listen to whatever you say," she said.

"Why don't you move the ceremony up a day, and we'll have your wedding here at Hogwarts. Then you can have your honeymoon over the Easter break."

It was Harry's turn to ask, "Why?"

"Harry, when you apply to the ministry for your marriage license, word is going to get out and there will be a lot of wizards trying to wangle an invitation. There are a fair number of them who might be useful to your career. You really are a celebrity in our world and it would be politic to humor a lot of them.

"Given that your wedding will be exceptionally large by our standards, security will become an issue. Hogwarts is much better protected than the Burrow. Even though our ceremonies are more simple than Muggle weddings there are some preparations to be made, don't you think it would be simpler to have it here?"

"It makes sense to me, Hermione, would you like to be married here? It's up to you," said Harry.

"I agree. I guess it's settled. We'll have our wedding here."

"Very well, Miss Granger, Professor McGonagall will be in charge of helping you make the arrangements. I will submit a request to the ministry to send someone to help you two with the license. I will also ask Healer Galen to come for your required physical examinations. If you will give me a guest list I will also handle invitations to persons within the ministry."

"Thanks, Professor," they chorused.

"Professor McGonagall, will you escort Mr. Potter and Miss Granger to Hogsmead on Saturday so they may purchase their wedding rings. Please be discreet, we don't want word leaking out too soon. That goes for the two of you as well. Involve as few people as possible for as long as you can."

"Professor, what did the Governor's mean, "quarters suitable to protect our privacy?" asked Harry.

"There are spells in place that warn the faculty when there is the possibility of students passions getting out of hand. Your quarters will not be covered by those protections, for obvious reasons," smiled Dumbledore. "I hope you will not be offended to know that you have been watched more closely than you know. That is the reason for allowing visits to the village, you need to be allowed to learn about love in a less restrictive environment than the castle, but even there you are chaperoned, we are just not obvious."

He looked at Hermione, who was looking rather guilty. "We even know about that Polyjuice potion in your second year, you stole the ingredients from Professor Snape. Even though I deplored your theft, I understood your motivation, and I thought the fact you had a cat hair was punishment enough."

There seemed nothing else to say for the moment, Harry and Hermione left Dumbledore's office hand in hand. "Well, Minerva, it looks like Hogwarts is going to host a wedding. How many years has it been?"