Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Four: A Date in Diagon Alley

Smiling at one another the Drs. Granger went upstairs to Hermione's room planning to tease her about her evening. When they arrived at her door they were surprised to hear her crying softly. Janet knocked and asked anxiously "May we come in, One?"

"Yes, Ma'am" Hermione replied the tears audible in her voice.

They found her sitting on her bed with her knees drawn up and her arms wrapped around them. Sitting on either side of their daughter Hugh asked, "Hermione, you looked so happy when you got home. What is the matter? Did Harry hurt you?"

"Nooo," said Hermione, with a somewhat watery smile. "He kissed me," she continued with a half giggle, a blush, and her hand touching the spot on her cheek. "Mum, Dad, he said I looked pretty tonight," she added breathlessly.

Looking at the floor Janet asked, "You found out what's been bothering him, didn't you?"

Hermione nodded, hugged her knees, and gave a heavy sigh. "You remember when I was getting ready to go to Hogwarts I told you what I had read about an evil wizard called He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and a child who caused him to vanish. Well, that child was Harry, and that wizard, whose name is Voldemort, is back and he's after Harry because, according to a prophecy made before Harry was born, he is the only one who can defeat Voldemort once and for all. Now Harry is worried that Voldemort and his followers will be killing all of us, he grieves for his godfather, and he feels out of control.

Tonight it was just too much for him. I hugged him and he held on to me like he would be lost if he let me go."

"How did that make you feel, One?" asked her father.

"I felt a little scared, Dad," she answered thoughtfully, "but it was wonderful too."

Later, Janet, navigating the darkness, entered Hermione's room and sat at her daughter's bedside, " I know you aren't asleep. May I ask you a question?"

"Yes, Mum."

"One, are you in love with Harry?"

"I don't know, Mum. I think I-I'm still trying to decide."

"I need to tell you something that you may not want to hear."

"What?" she asked warily.

"First, your father and I want you to know that we really like Harry. But from what Professor Lupin said, he may be damaged psychologically. It's not his fault. It's the fault of his foster parents. He hasn't had anyone to show him love. Harry may not react the same as other people, he may not understand the usual signals we send each other. He could hurt you without meaning to."

"I think I know that. Sometimes he just doesn't understand how other people are feeling. He didn't understand Cho Chang," Hermione replied.

"We just wanted to warn you that you will have to work extra hard if you want a relationship with him. You will have to be more direct with him than you would with other people. I'm afraid Harry is going to cost you all the wit, compassion, and maturity you can conjure up."

"Mum, how did you know you were in love with Dad?"

"Well, I just made the choice to follow him, because I wanted to help him no matter what it cost me. We chose to be there for each other. The feelings were pretty intense too. However, over time the feelings change so it comes down to choosing to do what is best for your partner and him choosing what is best for you. When it works it's like dancing, when it doesn't you just have to try harder, or give up. Once you start thinking more about yourself than your partner, on a regular basis, a relationship is pretty well over. We had to try harder at first because I didn't want him in the Navy, but I accepted his decision. Our relationship has been growing ever since."

They sat in the darkness for a few minutes. "Good night, One."

" 'Night, Mum," replied Hermione, beginning to sound sleepy at last.

************************************************************************

The week Harry spent at the Burrow after his birthday seemed to pass in a flash. Ron seemed slightly distant after the party but they managed to work at Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes a couple of days. He thanked the Weasleys for their hospitality and returned to Number Twelve.

"Tell me about your party, Harry," requested Lupin, with a bright smile.

"We had a good time. Mrs. Weasley made us dance. The twins brought fireworks. The cake was good. Hermione brought the pictures from the Bahamas, want to see?"

"Ok, but what's this I hear about someone kissing someone else. Arthur told me so you can't deny it," Lupin was grinning even more broadly.

Harry, slightly embarrassed, said "Hermione's kissed me a couple of times now, I got kind of upset about something at the party and she and Mrs. Weasley helped me. I just wanted to say thanks to her. Ginny giggled about it for a couple of days though."

Harry then explained about the picture Moody had showed him of the original Order of the Phoenix and how it made him feel. "What did you do?" Harry asked.

"Spent the full moon in the Shrieking Shack. It was just like old times." Lupin said ruefully. "Except for the Wolfsbane Potion."

Remus and Harry went back to Idewild and began to clean the place up. They spent a week cutting back the vegetation on the patio and around the house, although they left the tall hedges close to the street.

When they arrived back a Number Twelve, Harry found that his book list from Hogwarts had arrived. "Harry, why don't you invite Hermione to go shopping with us. We could meet her on Tuesday morning at the Leaky Cauldron." After thinking about it Harry went upstairs to get Hedwig.

"Hedwig, wait for her answer, ok?" The owl hooted softly to show she understood, nibbled affectionately at Harry's finger, and then flew into the darkening Friday evening. Hedwig returned the following morning with Hermione's acceptance. Somehow her handwriting didn't appear quite as steady as it usually did, and Harry couldn't help but imagine a bright smile on her face, like the one he had seen on the beach.

************************************************************************

Tuesday found Harry and Lupin waiting for the Grangers at the Leaky Cauldron. The Grangers dropped Hermione off on their way to work. After entering Diagon Alley, Remus told Harry and Hermione that he would meet them for lunch, and set off to do his shopping.

Hermione was staring at him. "Harry, what have been doing? You've got a really nice tan."

Harry started to tell her, but then whispered, "Something for the Order, sorry, swore not to tell."

Hermione was taken aback, but then she saw the smile in his eyes and she punched his arm. "Ok, guess I deserved that."

"Really, it was something for the Order. I'll tell you when it's ready."

"Where to first, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Gringotts," replied Harry, as he set off toward the snow white building in the distance. The goblins at the entrance bowed especially low to Harry and let them in. Hermione went to change her muggle money for Galleons. Harry watched her and then they went to the desk. Harry presented his key to one of the free goblins. The goblin summoned Griphook. Griphook nodded a welcome to Harry as they proceeded down the passage to the cart. Harry helped Hermione into the cart and they hurtled off down the underground passages towards Harry's vault. Hermione clutched Harry's arm in surprise, but did not show signs of getting sick like Hagrid had. "Wow! This is amazing, Harry. I never would have believed all this." She stared in wonder as Griphook opened the vault and Harry began to fill his moneybag with Knuts, Sickles, and Galleons.

"Is all of this yours?"

"Yes, my Mum and Dad left it to me." Harry filled his bag without making much of a dent in all of the coins in the vault.

"Is it a lot?"

"It's enough to finish school and start a life on. But you should see the really big vaults. The ones families like the Malfoys have, they're huge." One of these days I'll show you my other vault. It's even bigger than the Malfoy's, Harry thought.

Hermione settled against Harry for the trip back, smiling as the wind blew through her hair.

As they emerged from the passageway Harry was telling Hermione about his first trip to his vault, about thinking he saw a dragon, and Hagrid being sick. They didn't notice a blond-haired figure observing them from another passageway.

After leaving the bank they decided to purchase some of the lighter supplies so they wouldn't have to carry them all day. "Is there anything special you needed to buy, Hermione?" Harry asked.

"Well, I need to get some new dress robes. Want to help me pick some?"

"Ok, but what is wrong with the blue ones? I thought they were pretty."

"They're getting too small," she said blushing slightly. Harry was surprised, Hermione didn't seem that much taller than when she wore them at Christmas two years ago.

On the walk to Madam Malkins something brushed Harry's hand, he looked but it was just Hermione walking next to him. They spent the better part of the morning looking at various styles and colors of dress robes. Harry was bewildered by all of the time Hermione was taking in picking a set of robes. He helped her choose a set of Ivory colored robes, with dark brown and gold filigree embroidered around the neck and cuffs that set off her hair. As they left Madam Malkins they waved at Parvati and Padma Patil who were buying their school supplies.

"Harry! Hermione!" rang a familiar voice.

"Hi, Ron!" Harry answered happily, "are you working or shopping?"

"Shopping. You ok, Hermione?" asked Ron. Harry saw Hermione was looking somewhat disappointed.

"Yes," she answered rather flatly. "Harry, I need to buy some ink and parchment. Can we get those next? It'll be lunch time soon," She reminded him.

"Ok, Hermione, what do you need, Ron?" answered Harry.

"Mainly I need my books, but I wanted to go by Quality Quiddich Supplies too. Where are you going to eat?"

"We're meeting Remus at the Leaky Cauldron," answered Harry, "Want to come?"

"We better ask Remus first, Harry," chided Hermione. "He might not have planned for four."

"We'll ask him when we get there," answered Harry. "Let's go get our parchment."

They set off to get their supplies with Hermione trudging along behind.

Lupin looked surprised when the trio showed up for lunch, but invited Ron to eat with them. They enjoyed a lunch of Roast Beef, boiled potatoes, and green peas. Lupin asked them questions about the coming school year. Ron and Harry began talking about Quiddich so Hermione and Lupin began chatting. "Sorry, Hermione, I hadn't thought about Ron coming today too."

"It's all right Professor," sighed Hermione. She began telling him about what she had seen at Gringotts.

After lunch Harry, Ron, and Hermione set out for Quality Quiddich Supplies. Along the way they met and chatted with Seamus Finnigan. After spending an hour there, Ron bought some new gloves and they made their way to Fortiscue's where Harry treated them to ice cream sundaes.

They stopped at Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes to visit Fred and George and check their new gadgets.

Harry and Hermione stopped at the apothecary to replenish their basic potion ingredients.

The next stop was Flourish and Blotts as they purchased their books for the coming year. There was quite a crowd of students buying books so it took them some time to gather all their books and pay for them.

Carrying their purchases they headed back to the Leaky Cauldron for a butterbeer and to wait for the Grangers. Ron was going to wait for Fred and George, who were going to the Burrow. Because Ron could not Apperate they were going to leave from the fireplace at the Leaky Cauldron. Harry and Remus were going by the Knight Bus. At last the Grangers arrived, Hermione stood by Harry, "Well bye, Harry, I had a good time, thanks for helping me pick out my new dress robes. Bye, Ron." As she stood there, Harry had the awful feeling that he was missing something, like on his date with Cho. Slowly Hermione turned away and was walking toward her parents.

"Hermione," said Harry, as she turned back to face him, he opened his arms slightly to her. She ran lightly back to him, a smile breaking out on her face. They hugged. "I had a good time too, could I save you a seat on the train?"

"Oh, yes, please. I'll see you the First of September," Hermione beamed at him. She walked to her parents, as they reached the door, she waved one last time, and they were gone.

Harry and Ron were both staring at the door. "Well, Ronnikins, you ready?" shouted Fred as they entered. Ron, looking startled, nodded at his brother. He turned, walking toward the back room. "Bye, Harry" he said over his shoulder. He seemed to want to say more, but George was grabbing his arm, hurrying him along.

"See you, mate," waved Harry as they left.

"Well, do you want to get some dinner before we go home?" asked Lupin.

"Yeah, I think so," answered Harry. "Where to?"

"Come on, I know a little place near here."

After they arrived at Number Twelve, Harry joined Lupin in the sitting room. "Tell me about your day, Harry," asked Lupin. Harry repeated the details of his experiences of the day. "I had an ulterior motive for asking Hermione along today," Lupin confessed.

Harry looked at his guardian with a frown. "What motive?"

"Oh, to help you catch up a little. How many friends did you have when you were little?"

"None, they were all afraid of Dudley," replied Harry somewhat bitterly.

"So you didn't have any friends until you came to school?"

"Yeah, Ron was my first real friend, we met on the train."

"That's my point, Harry, you haven't had a lot of chances to get to learn to relate to people. I thought Hermione might help you learn to get along with girls a little better. Your previous relationships haven't gone too well, have they?"


Harry shook his head.

"I heard about the Yule Ball from Professor McGonagall and Hermione told me a little about Cho Chang. I knew Hermione was your friend, I hoped you two could have a 'date' in a familiar place, with something to do, so there wouldn't be too many awkward silences."

"We did ok."

"Until Ron showed up. That sort of messed up my plan. Did you know that Hermione wanted you to hold her hand?"

"No. When?"

"When you were on your way to Madam Malkin's. That's why she brushed your hand."

"But why didn't she just ask me?" protested Harry.

"She did, Harry. She just didn't use words. That's one of the lessons. She brushed your hand hoping to give you a hint. She wanted to hold hands with you, but she wanted it to be your idea. Girls don't usually ask about that kind of thing with words, they will, however, show you by their actions what they want. You need to learn to watch what they do, read their facial expressions, and body language, that will give some insight into what they expect or hope for from you. That's a skill that takes time and effort to learn, but once you do it is very rewarding."

"Are you saying Hermione is in love with me?" Harry asked thoughtfully.

"No, but I think she might like some time alone with you to try and find out."

"She did sort of act disappointed when Ron showed up. Why didn't she say something when he asked her if something was wrong?"

"Because you were happy to see him, she didn't want to hurt his feelings, and this wasn't an official date. She was disappointed when you ignored her, in favor of Ron, at lunch too."

"She doesn't understand Quiddich," Harry said defensively.

"You'll just have to find other things to discuss with her. You were uncomfortable with the amount of time she spent picking her new dress robes?"

Harry nodded.

"Any ideas on why," Lupin grinned. "This is a test."

"She-er-she wanted to buy something-something she liked?"

"Good, anything else?"

"Uh, something that-umm-I thought-I thought made her look pretty, too?"

"That's good, your opinion was probably important to her. How about she also wanted something that would look nice together with yours if she went somewhere with you. You think that's possible?"

Harry nodded.

"Well, I guess I'm through testing you for the night. Any other questions?"

"There was one thing I'd like to ask you, it's about building something for my room …"

The days ran down to the end of the summer. Harry hoped this coming school session would prove less traumatic than last year.