Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Six: A Date in Hogsmead

The Saturday of the Hogsmead weekend dawned as a clear and beautiful Fall day, with a brisk wind blowing the leaves from the trees. Harry was coming from breakfast with some toast for Hermione. She had left him a note asking him to meet her at the door. As she came down the staircase he could see why. Hermione had done her hair again. It lay softly around her face and shoulders. She was blushing as he smiled his approval at her. They checked out with Filch and walked down to the gate, waving at Hagrid who was working in his garden.

They were talking over plans for the Dueling Club when he noticed how close Hermione was walking beside him. He remembered what Lupin had tried to tell him after his 'date' at Diagon Alley. For some reason his heart started hammering as he tried to think of how to ask.

"Hermione?"

"What, Harry?" she said as she finished her toast.

"You don't have to if you don't want to," He blurted.

"Don't want to do what, Harry," she asked softly, looking hopefully at him.

"Hold hands with me," he said, suddenly unable to meet her eyes.

Hermione slipped her hand into his. Harry seemed to feel a mild and pleasant electrical shock as their palms met. His fingers laced through hers as if they had a mind of their own. He smiled shyly at Hermione as he marveled at how soft and warm her skin was.

"I would like to, Harry," she smiled at him. "Thank you for asking."

They walked onward, a bit more slowly and in silence, stealing glances at one another. Somehow the morning looked a little brighter. A group of Slytherin girls, including Pansy Parkinson and Millicent Bullstrode, passed them and glancing back they immediately recognized Harry. Pansy began to say something when she froze in shock, pointing at Hermione. They all began whispering to each other as Harry and Hermione passed them again, but they were unable to think of anything insulting to say.

Harry was admiring the way Hermione looked as she walked beside him. He noticed she was holding herself like she had when she was at the ball with Victor Krum. Then he realized that it was pride! She was proud and happy to be seen with him. With that thought he held himself a little straighter too.

They entered the village and walked down the main street, looking in the various shop windows. They spent some time in Honeydukes stocking up on their supplies of chocolate. They also stopped at Zonko's primarily to check out Fred and George's competition. Hermione also wanted to buy some new quills and parchment. The morning passed all too quickly.


"I've got an errand to do. You want to wait for me at the Town Square?" Harry asked.

"How long?"

"About thirty minutes. Then we can have lunch at the Three Broomsticks."

"Can I ask where you are going?"

"It's a surprise, you'll find out soon enough," Harry answered mysteriously.

As he walked away Hermione went to the window of the local bookstore looking at a book on ancient runes. She noticed the reflection of someone standing behind her. Gripping her wand she quickly turned around. It was Ron.

"May I talk to you?" he asked quietly.

"Of course. At least until Harry gets back. We're on a date," she said firmly.

"Why Harry?" he asked, looking down at his feet. "What's wrong with me. I gave you perfume, I was trying to show you how much I fancied you."

"I know, Ron. I just - I haven't felt - I mean …"

"What?" He said shortly.

"Look, in second year, when you stood up for me against Malfoy, I kind of thought you were really nice. Then in third year you accused me of trying to be mean to Harry over that broom when all I was trying to do was keep him safe. That comment 'Haven't you done enough damage this year.' When he got it back, he came and talked to me, but all you cared about seemed to be that stupid Firebolt. Then you accused Crookshanks of eating Scabbers when he really hadn't, did you say sorry?"

"I asked Crookshanks about Pig?" he said defensively.

"But you never told me you were sorry, did you?" she pressed.

"I-I - no, I guess not." Ron mumbled.

"Then you called me a liar and said all those awful things at the Yule Ball during the Tournament," she said, tears starting in her eyes. "Ron, those things really hurt, all I ever did was try to help Harry, I wasn't a traitor," she choked, "and you still never said you were sorry. Don't you understand? I would have gone with you if you had only asked first. Instead you wanted to go with someone pretty." She tried to collect herself so her words came more calmly, "I've been helping Harry ever since first year, Harry's never ridiculed the things I think are important, we seem to work well together. I want to see if it can be something more. I like you, Ron, but only as my friend," she finished quietly.

Ron started to tell her exactly how Harry felt about SPEW but he held his tongue, he still felt guilty about the Ball, and this was Hermione's first date with Harry. His shoulders slumped in defeat. "Ok," he said, "What-if things-don't work out between you and Harry?" he asked hopefully.

"Harry's not like us, Ron, he doesn't know what it's like to have a normal family. I think it's going to take a long time before he really knows what he wants or how he feels. Don't think it's going to take only a few days."

Ron turned to go, "Well - bye." He started walking back down the street he looked very unhappy and defeated.

Sadly Hermione walked back to the square to wait for Harry she really did like Ron and hated to hurt him like that. Looking down the street her jaw dropped as she saw Harry coming back, he was walking with Luna Lovegood! Luna was obviously explaining something to Harry.

"Harry, is this the surprise you were telling me about?" she asked, rather sharply.

"No," Harry smiled at her. "I just met Luna on my way back here, she has something to show us at the next meeting of the dueling club and wanted to tell me about it." He turned to Luna, "Sorry, Luna, Hermione and I are having lunch together. See you." He took Hermione's hand again, leading her toward the Three Broomsticks.

Luna watched them go. Then deciding that lunch sounded like a good idea she set off behind Harry and Hermione.

"Did I see you talking to Ron?"

"Yes."

"What did he say?"

Hermione sighed, "One day I'll tell you, maybe. It's nothing bad. It's just private."

Harry nodded. They walked on in silence until several quiet popping noises caught Harry's attention. He released Hermione's hand and grabbed his wand. "Did you hear that?"

"Yes. It sounded like people Apparating."

Harry was looking around when he saw several hooded figures advancing between the buildings on his left.

"Protego!" he commanded. He was just faster than the Death Eaters who had fired stunning spells at them. The shield charm deflected the stunners. He grabbed for Hermione's arm and began to pull her backwards, closer to the buildings behind them.

"Stupefy!" Hermione fired at one of the advancing, masked figures. Two Death Eaters dodged out of the way of her spell, the other four continued to advance, in groups of two, their wands at the ready.

Luna came running to Harry and Hermione, "Protego Orbilius", she ordered. A dome of red light sprang into existence around them. She was moving her wand in a complicated motion, maintaining the shield. Harry and Hermione glanced questioningly at her. "My mother liked to experiment. I found it in her notebook," she hastily explained as they fell back to the shop behind them. Four spells had bounced off the shield as they got between the buildings. "I don't know if the shield will hold if it takes several hits at once."

Harry was thinking rapidly. "Hermione, I'll try to disarm them, try to get their wands. Luna, if they break this shield use a regular shield spell. We will work from left to right."

As if reading Luna's mind, the Death Eaters fired four spells simultaneously shattering the shield.

Harry cried "Expelliarmus!" followed closely by Hermione's "Accio wand!" He disarmed first one Death Eater, then another. Luna shielded them from the Death Eaters on their right. The disarmed Death Eaters retreated behind the buildings across the street as Hermione managed to catch one of the wands. They ducked back between the buildings.

"Same tactics, center two." He said as several spells hit the corner of the building they were hiding behind. He prepared to attack again. As he stepped into the street he heard a new voice cry out. "Stupefy!" yelled Ron, from the other side of the street, stunning one of the attackers. Harry ducked and fired another stunning spell at the three remaining Death Eaters, Hermione and Luna followed close behind him. The Death Eaters faced by attack from an unexpected direction and facing even odds Dissapperated.

"What happened, Harry?" asked Ron, scanning the area.

"Death Eaters attacked us. We disarmed two and you stunned one. Thanks, but how did you know?" asked Harry, breathing hard.

"I heard you being attacked, I came to help."

"Petrificus Totalus" said Hermione, putting the full body bind on the fallen Death Eater.

They all looked around, people hearing spells being used, were peering out from the shops along the street.

A movement to his left caught his attention. Two masked figures, one very short with a silver hand, accompanied by a taller figure, were sneaking between the buildings across the street. Harry raised his wand, "Stupefy!" he yelled, sending a red jet of light streaking toward Wormtail. The other figure raised his wand, aiming at Harry. Wormtail broke to his right dodging the stunner. Harry automatically tracked the moving target. "Impedimentia!" he commanded. The spell hit Wormtail knocking him to his knees.

The tall figure crying in a rather hoarse voice incanted, "Avada Kedavra!" sending a bolt of green light at Harry.

Ron, Hermione, and Luna attacked the tall figure at the same time. Ron instinctively used a shield charm, while Hermione tried to summon the attacker's wand, and Luna attempted to stun him.

Several things seemed to happen at once. The killing curse shattered the shield charm, but a part of its energy appeared to reflect back on it's caster. The Death Eater's wand came flying to Hermione, as he was blasted off his feet by Luna's stunning spell. Harry's momentary look of triumph faded as he crumpled to the ground, his wand rolling from his nerveless fingers.

Time stopped. Ron and Luna saw Harry fall it seemed to take an eternity for him to hit the ground.

"NOOOOO!-NOT HARRY!-NOT HARRY!-," Hermione screamed, shaking her head in disbelief. She flew to Harry's side and began shaking his shoulder. "HARRY, WAKE UP-WAKE UP!" Ron knelt beside her and helped as they rolled Harry onto his back. His green eyes were half closed and glassy, his face expressionless. The lightning scar on his forehead had been torn open and was bleeding steadily. Hermione was trembling as she looked down at him. She took several deep breaths, "HARRY, YOU WAKE UP!, Wake! Up! Right! Now!…" she ordered in her bossiest voice. She got no response. It seemed as though she were running out of air because her voice was becoming breathy, "…Harry, wake up…please, wake up," she wheedled. " …Harry, you're scaring me…" Tears began running down her face as she whispered, "please don't …you can't be…not now…ooohhh, plleeease don't be dead." Hermione covered her face with her hands, she was chanting "This isn't happening, this isn't happening, this isn't happening …"

Ron was trying to check Harry's pulse but he couldn't find one. He looked helplessly between Luna and Hermione. Luna knelt beside Hermione and placed an arm around her shoulders.

Hermione seemed to come to herself and cradled Harry's head in her lap, her tears splashing on his face, her breath coming in short gasps. She was staring straight ahead saying "I've got to wake up…why can't I wake up."

Ron tried to talk to her, "Hermione, … I'm sorry … it's not a dream." But she didn't seem to be hearing him. "Luna, I can't find a pulse," he whispered.

"Ron," Luna replied, "I don't believe he's dead, dead people don't bleed." She tried to tell Hermione but Hermione was beyond hearing.

A large crowd was gathering because of Hermione's desperate cries. Suddenly a bearded face appeared above the others. Hagrid forced his way through the crowd. He gently disengaged Harry's body from Hermione's grasp lifting him as easily as an adult might lift a kitten or puppy. " Hermione, le' me have 'im. I kin take him ter the hospital wing."

Hagrid set off at a dead run. Though he often appeared clumsy he was able to cover ground with amazing speed.

Hermione stared at the ground for a few moments, picked up Harry's glasses and wand. She began to look around. "Harry, wait! Wait for me!" Hermione stumbled after Hagrid, she made a few steps before she tripped and fell. Harry's glasses cracked when they hit the street. Hermione picked them up, giving a wordless cry on discovering the broken lenses. She noticed that she had some of Harry's blood on her hands. She began to tremble violently, her face a mask of horror, it was as though she was trying to scream but nothing was coming out. Seeing the blood was just too much, she collapsed from the shock.

Gentle hands caught her before she could hit the street. People in the crowd lay her on a couple of cloaks and someone conjured a blanket.

Dumbledore appeared in a flash of red-golden fire with Fawkes on his shoulder and Professor McGonagall in tow. "Mr. Weasley, Miss Lovegood, what's happened?"

"Death Eaters attacked-,"

"Harry, Hermione, and I fought-,"

"They got Harry with a killing-,"

"But I don't think he's dead, his scar is bleeding." Ron and Luna were interrupting each other.

Dumbledore held up his hand. "Where is Harry?"

"Hagrid is taking Harry to the hospital wing," answered Ron.

"Fawkes, intercept Hagrid. Please take him to the hospital wing, then return for me." Fawkes flew after Hagrid.

Seeing the bystanders were talking care of Hermione, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Ron, and, Luna walked across the street. Professor McGonagall conjured ropes to bind the Death Eater that Hermione had bewitched. Tonks and two other Aurors appeared their wands at the ready.

"The one that got Harry is over there," Ron pointed. "Harry got one with a jinx, but we didn't see where he went."

The Aurors spread out doing a quick search of the area. Tonks moved to protect Hermione, "What's the matter with her, Professor Dumbledore?" she asked.

"I believe she's in shock, Tonks. She was on a date with Harry Potter, when they were attacked. She thinks Harry is dead, he was hit with a killing curse."

"Oh noo," Tonks blanched. "Is Harry…really…"

"I don't know."

Kingsly Shacklebolt Apparated onto the scene.

One of the Aurors came over, "It's Augustus Rookwood. He's dead. I don't recognize the other one."

Fawkes reappeared. "Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore called, "please give Auror Shacklebolt a complete report on what has happened here. Professor McGonagall, kindly wait here and escort Mr. Weasley and Miss Lovegood to the hospital wing. I will have Hagrid send a carriage for you." With a strength that belied his age Dumbledore picked up Hermione, Fawkes perched on his shoulder and they disappeared in a flash.

"Is he really dead?" Ron asked pointing at the fallen Death Eater.

Tonks nodded.

"Is there any sign of the one Harry got?"

"No, he probably Disapperated in all of the confusion."

Kingsley Shacklebolt questioned them for about half an hour. As Ron and Luna answered the Auror's questions they began to shake as their adrenaline rush abated. Professor McGonagall had them to sit down. She transfigured a couple of handkerchiefs into blankets for them. Noting Ron's expression she said kindly, "Don't be ashamed Mr. Weasley, it's perfectly normal after something like this."

"It's worse. I think I'm gonna be sick." Ron gagged. He lurched to his feet and scrambled into the alleyway. He returned a few minutes later, pale and breathing hard. Shacklebolt handed him a cup of water.

"Ron! Ron! Are you all right?" Ron looked up to see his father running down the street.

As Ron ran to meet him, Professor McGonagall turned her attention to Luna. "Can I get you anything Miss Lovegood?"

"No, thank you. I just want too see if Harry and Hermione are going to be ok."

Professor McGonagall went to talk to Arthur as Ron came back to sit with Luna.

"I've never seen Hermione act like that. She was hysterical. It was scary. What do you think?"

"I've never seen Hermione like that either," she seemed to be slipping into her usual dreamy detachment. "I believe she's in love with Harry. She hasn't told him, and now she thinks she's lost him."

Finally in the distance they could see a carriage approaching.