Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Five: Back to Hogwarts

Hermione rose, showered, dressed, and went down to breakfast on the morning of the First of September. Her trunk and books were waiting in the front room. Her parents were having breakfast, she got a bowl of cereal, toast, and a cup of coffee.

"All ready to go, One?" her father asked.

"Yes, Sir. All but getting Crookshanks into his carrier."

The spent a pleasant hour saying goodbye at the breakfast table, then packed all her things into their car and left for the train station. Hermione gave each of her parents a hug and kiss then she disappeared into the barrier between platforms nine and ten. Janet placed her hand on the impenetrable wall that separated her from her daughter. Sadly they turned to leave. "I know it's for the best, but sometimes I just hate that school. One is growing up, Hugh, and it seems we're missing out on so much of it." With a small smile she leaned close to her husband and whispered, "We haven't even found out what a troll looks like."

"Or any kind of dragon, except a Horntail, either," commiserated Hugh, as he placed his arm around his wife.

As they walked toward the door, they saw Molly Weasley entering the station with Ron and Ginny. They chatted briefly, then decided to have lunch after the train departed. So they all started back to the platform together. When the Weasleys had passed through the entrance to platform nine and three-quarters the Grangers found an unobtrusive bench and sat down to wait. They thought it was rather amusing to watch the wizards pass onto the platform without their noticing that they were being observed, the other Muggles apparently noticing even less about what was going on. Hugh Granger shook his head, "It's amazing how much magic goes on right before our eyes and we're just too busy to notice."

"That's why it's magic, Hugh."

************************************************************************

Hermione stowed her luggage on the prefect's carriage and boarded the train to wait for Harry. She sat for a while, greeting the new head boy and girl, and her fellow prefects. She saw Ron and Ginny arrive with their mother. He went to help Ginny with her luggage and then came to the prefect's carriage. "Hi, Hermione, what's up."

"Not much, you?"

"Saw your Mum and Dad they're going to have lunch with Mum after the train leaves. Seen Harry yet?"

"No, have you?" replied Hermione somewhat anxiously.

"I haven't really looked," said Ron, looking at the ceiling. "Guess he's running late."

Hermione continued looking out the window. She saw Kingsley Shacklebolt and another auror that she didn't know, as well as most of her classmates arrive on the platform, but there was no sign of Harry. She thought he might be using his Invisibility Cloak, but wondered about how he'd handle his trunk, plus Hedwig was hard to miss.

The train began to move out of the station. Hermione was now really anxious about Harry, but had no time to do anything about it. For the first hour of their journey the Head Boy and Girl explained their duties to the new prefects, she and Ron set up the passwords for the common room, and they all discussed duty schedules. As soon as the meeting was over she made her first patrol through the train, confirming her suspicion that Harry wasn't aboard. She found Luna and Ginny talking together in the last carriage. "Have you seen Harry," she asked, hoping she had just missed him, perhaps he was in the loo or something.

"No, he's not here, is there something wrong?"

"I don't know, he said we could sit together and promised to save me a seat. But I never saw him on the platform."

"When did he ask you?" Ginny frowned as she asked.

"After our shopping trip to Diagon Alley about a week ago."

"You and Harry went shopping together?" smiled Luna.

"Did you see Ron there?" continued Ginny.

Hermione nodded.

"So that's what he's been moping about. He fancies you, you know."

Hermione nodded. "I've been trying to discourage him. Especially after that perfume he bought me for Christmas. At least until I find out how Harry really feels. I mean I do like Ron just not like that."

Hermione left Ginny and Luna to make another search of the train.

"Still haven't seen Harry?" asked Ron. He was sitting with Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan.

"No, not yet," Hermione replied anxiously.

"Sorry, we've not seen him either, you think he's missed the train? Won't be the first time," said Ron airily.

"I don't know, he didn't tell me he had changed his plans."

"Well, this time I'm sure he'll send Hedwig for help. We will see him soon enough."

Hermione decided to sit with Ginny and Luna and made her way to the back of the train.

In the next to last carriage she ran into Draco Malfoy.

"What's the matter, Mudblood? Can't find your boyfriend?" Sneered Malfoy. "I saw you in Gringotts. Just one date and he decided he couldn't show face at Hogwarts any more?" Crabbe and Goyle, smirking, blocked Hermione's way.

"Shut up, Malfoy!" snarled Hermione.

"Even I didn't think you could be that-,"

"Silencio!" a deep voice vibrated through the compartment. "The lady said be quiet, Malfoy." Neville lowered his wand. Draco clutched his throat unable to speak. Crabbe and Goyle whirled to face Neville but saw Anthony Goldstein, Hanna Abbot, Ernie Macmillan, and Susan Bones behind him, all with their wands drawn.

"Neville, your voice it's…" said Hermione, surprise showing on her face.

"Yeah, it kind of changed after Harry's party." Neville smiled.

Hermione performed the counter-charm to restore Malfoy's voice.

"If you want to keep that badge, Malfoy, you better keep your trap shut or I'll complain to Dumbledore, and they'll believe me, my blood's as pure as yours."

"You'll pay for that one, Longbottom," hissed Draco as he turned to go. He, Crabbe, and Goyle shoved past Hermione and made their way toward the front of the train.

"Professor Dumbledore doesn't care about whether a person is a Pureblood or not," said Hermione.

"True, but Malfoy does," smirked Neville. "You ok, Hermione?"

Hermione nodded, "Thanks for the help, all of you. By the way, have any of you seen Harry?"

They all shook their heads.

"Well, I've got to look after my cat, see you later." Hermione turned to go to get Crookshanks.

"Hermione, is there something wrong with Harry, and where's Ron?" asked Neville.

"Harry was going to save me a seat. But he didn't, I didn't even see him on the platform, and I can't find him on the train. Ron is in the next car with Dean and Seamus."

"He'll turn up, remember that flying car of the Weasleys."

"Yeah," sighed Hermione.

Hermione picked up Crookshanks and returned to the compartment where Ginny and Luna were waiting. The witch with the trolley passed by and they bought a few snacks, Hermione realized that it was usually Harry who treated them, sharing his Pumpkin Pasties and Chocolate Frogs. As the train pressed northward the sky grew darker and it looked like it was going to rain.

"Hermione," asked Luna, "isn't that Harry's owl?"

Hermione looked out the window to see Hedwig flying outside the window of their compartment. Ginny opened the window so Hedwig could enter and she perched on the seat behind Hermione. Hermione found a note addressed to her tied to Hedwig's leg.

Dear Hermione,

The Ministry decided not to let me ride on the train to Hogwarts this year. They sent a couple of Aurors to escort me. They were afraid the Death Eaters might attack the train to try to get me. They spread the news expecting Voldemort to pick up the information so he wouldn't attack but I don't if they told the students. I arrived at Hogwarts early this morning.

Sorry about not being able to save you a seat like I promised. See you at the feast.

Love Harry.

PS Hedwig agreed to guard you for me.

She looked up at the beautiful, white owl, who was looking exceptionally vigilant. Her head swiveling constantly. "Thanks Hedwig," smiled Hermione. The owl hooted softly. Hermione passed the note to Ginny.

The rain began to beat soporifically on the carriage roof, with Crookshanks curled in her lap and Hedwig standing guard at her shoulder, for the first time on the Hogwart's Express, Hermione slept.

Ginny gently shook Hermione awake, "We should be arriving soon. You better get changed." Returning to the prefect's carriage Hermione got into her robes, and made sure her badge was pinned on straight. The train came slowly to a stop and she got off to the familiar cry of "Firs' Years! Follow me! Firs' Years! This Way!" Hagrid waved to Hermione as she carried Crookshanks to Ginny, who had volunteered to look after him. Hedwig flew off to the Owlery. Hermione then helped make sure the first year students were transferred to Hagrid's care.

She joined Ron and they went to find Ginny for the ride to Hogwarts. They found Ginny waiting for them with Luna. As they squeezed into the carriage Hermione noticed that Luna had not only changed into her robes she was also wearing her necklace of butterbeer bottle corks and radish ear rings.

"Luna, what do you wear that rubbish for, don't you care everyone laughs at you."

"Ron!" cried Ginny and Hermione together.

"Not really, Ronald," replied Luna, apparently not offended by Ron's tactlessness. "You see, my mother made them for me. Years ago The Quibbler wasn't making us much money. I enjoyed playing dress-up. She transfigured some radishes so I could pretend to have ruby earrings and a golden necklace. She died, so now I wear them when I miss her or when something special is happening. She loved Hogwarts and would have been proud I am following in her footsteps. I'm wearing them in her memory."

Ron looked slightly stunned, he mumbled "Sorry."

They made the rest of the trip in silence.

When Hermione entered the Great Hall she saw Harry sitting alone at the Gryffindor table. She sat next to him as the other students filed into the hall. Many were staring at them, whispering and pointing. Ron sat a few seats down from them. Harry was absorbed in one of the books Dumbledore had given him and didn't notice. "Hi, Harry," she smiled.

Harry smiled slightly, "How was the trip?"

"About the same as always. Thank you for sending the note, we were worried you had missed the train. What happened?"

"Remus woke me early this morning. Dobby helped me pack and he brought my trunk with him. Remus, Mad Eye and I traveled to the Ministry, Tonks and Dawlish escorted me here by portkey. I've been here all day. I had a meeting with Professor McGonagall about my course schedule. Snape won't take me into his NEWT potions class, but he can't stop me from taking the exam. So I'll be doing self study, guess that's why Professor Dumbledore gave me these books. I got a list of the potions required, I have to do essays on the properties of the ingredients, do a paper on the steps involved describing the interactions of the ingredients, then make a sample of the potion and turn it in to be graded. I have access to the student's stores and a small lab in the dungeon. I also have the usual Transfiguration, Charms, Herbology, and Defense against the Dark Arts classes. Guess what?"

"What."

"Professor Dumbledore said he would tutor me in Legilimens and Occlumency, when he had time, all the staff said they'd help me become an Auror." Harry said, looking happier than he had in a while."

Hermione smiled back.

The Sorting and feast were as fun as usual, especially since Umbrage was no longer a part of the faculty. When they had eaten and Dumbledore had given the start of term notices, Hermione and Ron gathered the new first year Gryffindors and set off to the tower. Harry followed along since he didn't know the new password to the common room. He walked up to the dormitory, pulled on his pajamas, and fell onto his bed. He picked up the picture of Hermione and him that had been taken in the Bahamas, wondering what kind of frame he should get for it. Ron entered a few minutes later.

"Harry," asked Ron, "when did you get so chummy with Hermione?"

"Ron, she's my friend, our friend!"

"Then why is she trying to spend all her time with you?" accused Ron. His ears were getting red. "You mean to tell me you don't fancy her, 'cause she sure seems to fancy you."

Harry was taken aback, "Ron, I - I d-d-don't know. All of a sudden - everybody's telling me how much Hermione likes me. I - that is - we - we're just going to see if we like each other 'that way'. We ran into each other on vacation and we went shopping one time, you know, you were there."

"What about your party? Didn't you kiss her? What was all that hugging you were doing?"

"Ron! I was upset," Harry, feeling angry and embarrassed at the same time, raised his voice. "You saw, she tried to make me feel better, I just wanted to thank her. I mean she's kissed me before, remember, on the platform. She kissed us both in the Great Hall last year."

"Wait, wait you saw her on vacation?" Ron snatched the picture from Harry's hand. "She was out of the country, how did you run into her?" he demanded, staring at the picture.

Harry dropped his gaze, "Sorry, mate, I - I can't say." Harry whispered. "It has something to do with the Order." Harry couldn't bring himself to tell Ron about his money.

"Yeah, well thanks for nothing," hissed Ron as he tossed the photo back to Harry. He turned on his heel and stomped off to his bed.

Harry followed. "Ron," he said, almost pleading, "I promise, I'll tell you when I can."

"Don't bother," he snarled, pulling his curtains shut.

Harry stood there for a few moments and then returned to his bed.

The door opened quietly and Neville, Seamus, and Dean entered, apparently taking the silence as a cue. They prepared for bed silently, ignoring the odd noises coming from behind Ron's curtains and Harry sitting on the edge of his bed staring at the floor.

When Harry woke the next day he saw that Ron had already left for breakfast. In the Great Hall he joined Hermione and Ginny, helping himself to porridge and sausage. "Is Ron that jealous of Hermione and me?" he asked Ginny.

"He's been acting differently since he came back from Diagon Alley," she said, glancing at Ron. Who was pointedly ignoring them.

Harry sighed. He didn't want to repeat the experience of Ron not speaking to him. Ron's friendship meant too much.

"It's something he's got to work out on his own, Harry." said Hermione looking equally distressed. "Just give him some time. He'll be ok."

They were interrupted by Professor McGonagall passing out course schedules. After finishing breakfast they gathered their books and plunged into the new school year.

************************************************************************

The days passed quickly as they adjusted to the routine. Now in their sixth year their courses were more individualized as they prepared for their lives after Hogwarts. The different requirements of their career choices making different demands on their time. Harry was so busy he didn't even realize that there were no unusual mysteries or threats to be dealing with along with his regular school work. Harry was now a more or less permanent fixture in the library with the extra work he was doing on his Potions. Harry, Hermione, and Ron had Transfiguration and Charms together, but their attempts to include Ron were being rebuffed.

Harry also tried to repair their relationship before and after their Quidditch practices, but with little success.

With the ministry not interfering at Hogwarts the DA had been renamed the Dueling Club. Harry had been elected as its president. Although they were only going to meet twice a month there was still a lot to do. Even Harry and Hermione were not finding much time to talk together, except at mealtimes.

At the end of October, Hermione managed to visit Harry in his little lab in the dungeon. Harry was struggling to powder some beetle's eyes in a badly cracked mortar, all the other equipment, except for his own personal scales, vials and cauldron, was in equally bad condition. "Where did all this junk come from, Harry?" she asked.

"Snape. It's his last chance to sabotage my being an Auror."

"Repairo," Hermione tapped the mortar with her wand and the crack disappeared.

Harry smiled, as he continued to work on his potion. After a couple of minutes the mortar cracked in a different place. "Tried that," he said quietly. "It's been broken too many times. "Thanks for trying though," he said as she fumed.

Harry took a deep breath, "Hermione, the next Hogsmead weekend is in a couple of weeks, would you - you like to - like to go with me," he stammered.

"Sure," she answered, blushing. "But don't you have Quidditch practice?"

"Yes, but it's in the afternoon. I have an errand in Hogsmead that's kind of private, but we would have the morning and we could have lunch at the Three Broomsticks."

"Then it's a date? Just us?" Hermione asked, her blush deepening.

Harry nodded blushing slightly himself.

"What are we going to do about Ron?"

"We'll tell him he can come with us some other time. Maybe at Christmas."

"Christmas seems like a long time away." Hermione frowned.

"Not with all the Transfiguration stuff Professor McGonagall is making me do."

"Well, Harry, I've got to go. I need to get up to my Arithmancy class."

"Thanks for coming. See you at dinner?"

"Ok," she beamed at him and disappeared up the stairs.