Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Fourteen: Making Adjustments

It was late Tuesday evening as Harry made his way down the staircase. He was practicing getting around the trick stair, the same one Neville usually missed. He was trying a kind of vault over the step and not losing his balance as he landed. Going down was harder than going up.

Suddenly on his fourth trip, his staff slipped, dropping into the step. Without the support of his staff, Harry began to fall. His arms were windmilling as he attempted to grab something.

"Wingardium Leviosa," cried Hermione. Harry stopped, floating inches from the stairs, breathing hard. "Harry!? What do you think you're doing? And at this time of night?" With a swish of her wand, she set Harry on his feet. She was standing a couple of steps down, her arms akimbo, frowning at him. Harry was reminded of Molly Weasley the morning Ron, Fred, and George rescued him from the Dursley's.

"Thanks, Hermione," Harry replied, his voice shaking, "I couldn't sleep. W-When I go back to class…I need to use the stairs. I-I didn't want to hold anyone up or b-be in the way so I decided to practice when there was nobody around. What are you doing?"

"I'm on duty, Harry. Turned out to be lucky for you. You might have been badly hurt, why didn't you ask for help?" She demanded in her usual bossy voice.

"I didn't want to bother anybody," replied Harry sheepishly.

"Harry, it wouldn't be a bother," Hermione chided. "Any Gryffindor would be proud to help you."

"Ok, Hermione, you're right, I'll get someone to watch next time." He bent and recovered his staff. When he stood Hermione hugged him, pressing against his heart. He sensed more than heard the words, "I love you, Harry."

"Wha-What did you say?" he stammered.

Hermione, slightly alarmed, stared at him, "I didn't say anything. What did you hear."

Harry looked at her, and slowly shook his head. "Nothing, I guess I was mistaken," he sighed. "I'm going back to my room, Hermione. See you tomorrow night in the library?"

Hermione nodded, "Good night, Harry"

************************************************************************

Severus Snape always reserved Thursday mornings for student conferences. This Thursday provided a surprise. The first name on his schedule was Harry Potter. He closed his eyes hoping that when he opened them the name would be different. It wasn't.

Snape felt his emotions rising, he despised emotional scenes, he had his fill of them as a child. He was still trying to get over the one that know-it-all Granger girl had put them through last week. Now Potter would probably put him through another one.

The thing he had most admired about the Dark Lord was his self-sufficiency. Voldemort needed no one else, though he would share with those whose actions pleased him. The Death Eaters spoke only when necessary. Success was expected, failure was punished. The only emotion around Voldemort was fear and he was used to that, and at least it was quiet.

The clunk of Harry's staff on the stairs heralded his approach. Snape sighed, closed his eyes, and prepared for the worst.

The door to his office opened, "Good morning, Professor Snape," began Harry. He was breathing hard and there was a sheen of perspiration on his forehead.

"Sit down, Mr. Potter."

"No, thank you," smiled Harry, "sitting down and standing up, at this point, require a great deal of energy, I'd rather stand, as I have to make it back up the stairs."

"What do you want, Potter," replied Snape, working to keep his voice even. The memories of the last time Harry was in his office still made his blood boil.

Harry started on what sounded like a carefully rehearsed speech. "First, it was unforgivable for me to have invaded your privacy as I did. I am sorry and I haven't told anyone about it as I promised at the time. I realize that may not be enough for you. I will offer you the chance to modify my memory provided you do it under Professor Dumbledore's supervision."

"Interesting, I will consider it, but surely that is not all that you have to say."

"Because I saw your memories, I have learned that my family has done you great injury. I'm sorry about that too, although there is nothing I can do about what is past." Harry shook his head, "I just regret that you never gave me a chance in your class, although I understand why. It's a shame, I find I rather enjoy potion making since I have been doing it on my own. I think it sad you despise your gifts so much."

"How touching," Snape sneered.

"Which brings me to the last item on my agenda. Over the years you have accused me of stealing from your private stores. I have never stolen any potion ingredients from you, nor have I ever entered your office until you tried to teach me Occlumency.

"However, there have been things stolen from you because of me. Barty Crouch stole ingredients for Polyjuce Potion because I was here. There is also the matter of some Gillyweed. In order to make things as right as I can, I offer you this letter of credit to replace what was stolen from you." Harry proffered a piece of parchment.

Snape took it and read it through. "If you think that giving me this money will in any way make up for anything-," he stood, a look of anger on his face.

Harry interrupted, "I'm sorry, you've misunderstood me, Professor. All I am trying to do with this gold is replace the potion ingredients that were stolen from you, on my account. The only thing I can do about the hurt I've done to you is allow you the opportunity to modify my memory. I know that no amount of gold can make up what has been done to you."

"What do you hope to gain from this?" asked Snape suspiciously as he resumed his seat.

Harry shrugged, "For me, nothing. I just hoped that, if I could replace what you lost, you might be able to go back to hating my Dad's memory in peace, at least that's what Professor Dumbledore suggested. Also, I never did thank you for trying to save my life back in my first year." Harry bit his lip, "Thank You, Professor Snape."

Snape looked a Harry, and odd expression on his face. This was not what he had expected at all.

Harry sighed. "Now is the time that I'm supposed turn around and walk dramatically from the room. Unfortunately that's a bit beyond me right now." Harry began to turn using his staff as a pivot. He walked from the room with as much dignity as he could muster. Snape sat silently, watching him go.

He sat there for a long while.

************************************************************************

Ron was getting tired of correcting people's misconceptions about the attack. It wasn't the Gryffindors so much as the students in the other houses. He had been receiving a lot of mail too. Unlike the mail Hermione and Harry had received in past years all of his letters praised his actions, he just wished he felt more worthy of it.

He was sitting in the Great Hall picking at his dinner, fretting about what to do about all the attention, and worrying about the match with Slytherin the next morning. Giving up on eating he headed for the library.

Looking around he did not see anyone he wanted to study with so he sat at a table by himself, trying to work on an essay for charms. After an hour or so he gave up and sat there staring into space. He heard the sound of footsteps coming up behind him.

"What's wrong, Ronald?" asked Luna, as she sat down beside him.

Ron sighed heavily, "I'm tired, all the attention, always trying to tell everyone what really happened in Hogsmead. That and thinking about the match tomorrow, I had hoped that Harry and I would be on the team together. Now it looks like he won't be able to play anymore."

"I thought you wanted the attention. It seems to me that you've been a little jealous of Harry."

"I was," Ron smiled slightly, "but now I know how he's been feeling all these years. It isn't what I thought it would be like."

"Well, we could take a page from Hermione's book. What would you think about writing out our side of the story and I could ask Dad to publish it in the Quibbler? At least it would be honest."

Ron thought about her suggestion, then nodded in agreement. "When?"

"Is there anything wrong with right now?"

"No, I guess not," he said, reaching for a sheet of parchment.

They spent an hour writing out what had happened in Hogsmead. When they had finished Luna neatly folded the parchment and placed it in her book bag.

"I'll send this off to Dad in the morning. Good night," Luna said brightly as she stood to leave.

"I need to go too, Quidditch tomorrow."

They walked to the door of the library. As they turned to go their separate ways Ron said, "That was a really great idea. Luna, I could kiss you."

Luna turned back to face him. Losing her usual dreamy expression, she smiled. Then she reached up and gently traced his lower lip with her finger. "When you are ready, Ronald," she said softly, "I hope you will. I think I would enjoy kissing you very much."

Turning away, she left Ron stunned and staring after her.

************************************************************************

Hermione found Harry doing his morning exercises. He smiled as she knocked on his door. "Join me?"

"Ok."

Harry began again as she imitated the graceful movements. When they finished she asked, "Are you going to the match today? I was hoping to sit with you."

Harry frowned, "I don't know if I can walk that far yet."

"Well, Dad said I should push you. If you will try, I promise I'll levitate you back if you can't make it."

Harry snorted, "That's all I need, have you floating me back here like some kind of balloon."

"That's just a last resort, we can leave early and you can rest as often as you need to."

"I need to check with Madam Pomfrey, but I think I'd like to go. I haven't set foot outside the castle in two weeks."

They left for the Quidditch pitch early, walking slowly through the autumn sunshine. Harry rested twice on the way, but Hermione realized that they made it more quickly than she thought they would. It appeared that once he got started Harry got along fairly well.

They sat in the lower part of the stands watching quietly as the other students began arriving. The air was soon abuzz with the sound of excited conversation among the students.

Since Lee Jordan had graduated the previous year Dean Thomas had been selected to do the commentary on the match. He surprised everyone by beginning, "Today is a sad one for the Gryffindor side. The youngest house player in our century has been forced by injury to resign from our team. We will miss you, Harry Potter. We can't let you go without a final farewell. We could think of no better way to thank you for your efforts than to give you a final lap of honor escorted by your teammates; Oliver Wood, Angilina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet, Katie Bell, and the Weasleys, Fred and George."

The sound of people clapping made Harry look around, all of his former teammates were sitting in the seats behind him. They had sneaked in without him noticing, he suspected Hermione had been trying to keep it that way. "Hi, Harry, we read about what happened," said Oliver gently, he reached to shake Harry's hand. "It must have been really hard decision for you. We're sorry and hope you get better soon."

"Are you ready, Harry," asked Fred, holding out Ron's Cleansweep.

Harry mounted the broom and kicked off weakly. Fred and George quickly formed up on either side of him, prepared to catch him if he fell. With the others in a triangle formation around them they flew slowly around the pitch. The Gryffindors were chanting his name, the students of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff stood in honor as they flew past. Some of the Slytherin students, bowing to pressure stood as well. The flight was slow but one Harry would remember forever. As a tribute to his skill, he was able to touch down precisely on the spot he took off from.

It was said afterward that the Gryffindor team had seldom played with such focus. The Slytherin team, under its new captain, Draco Malfoy, never knew what hit them.

************************************************************************

Harry returned to class on the Monday after Gryffindor's big win over Slytherin. Harry also returned to the Great Hall to eat. Along with Dumbledore's help, they worked out a schedule for the months ahead. Hermione would come on Monday and Friday nights to teach Harry to knit and to learn Occlumency from Professor Dumbledore. On Wednesday they planned to work in the library.

As the week progressed Harry noticed that Hermione and Ron were not comfortable around each other. It would have been amusing had it not seemed so sad. Hermione would arrive at breakfast and leave before Ron came down. Harry ate lunch with Ron and dinner with Hermione. The only time they were together was in class or in the library. Their conversation was not forced and they were friendly enough to each other around him, but as far as he could tell they spent no time together unless he was involved.

Harry mentioned this to Hermione that Friday evening. She sighed heavily, "Ron is trying to figure out some things. He's having some problems dealing with what happened in Hogsmead. Did you know that he refused the reward for killing Rookwood? Ginny says he's not sure he wants to be an Auror anymore either. When you were attacked, everything changed, we're all trying to put all the pieces together again. They're just not going to fit like they used to."

************************************************************************

Harry was startled by a sharp knock on his door the following Saturday afternoon. "Come in," he called out as he tried to blot the essay he had been working on.

"Here, Potty, Professor Snape sent me to bring you this," explained Draco Malfoy sulkily. He slouched over to Harry's desk and handed Harry a large, flat box.

Frowning, Harry opened the box. It was filled with glass vials, there was also an envelope on top of them. "What is all this, Malfoy?"

"I don't know, Potty, Professor Snape said give it to you," Malfoy said, using the kind of tone one usually used when explaining something to a small child. "You might try reading the enclosed instructions."

"Since when did you start running errands for Professor Snape?" Harry asked as Malfoy headed for the door.

Malfoy stopped. "Not that it's any of your business, Scarhead, but I'm doing a detention for McGonagall, she felt it would do me good spending the day running errands for the teachers. Oh, almost forgot. Professor Snape said to tell you, 'The last one is rather difficult and he would consult with you on it, if you make an appointment.'"

Harry had opened the letter, it was written in Snape's spiky hand,

Mr. Potter,

Master Healer Galen ordered this potion for you. Take one upon arising, and one before retiring. I will send you a box each month.

You will also find enclosed the names of several potions. These potions are not commonly found on NEWT level exams, but do occasionally come up. You will find it useful to study their ingredient's interactions to gain a better understanding of the more usual test potions, this should also enhance your written score. I have included the recipe for the Wolfsbane Potion, as it is of personal interest to you.

Severus Snape

"Please convey my gratitude to Professor Snape. Tell him that this must have cost him more than I could ever imagine."

Malfoy nodded, and started to leave, then stopped again. He turned and spoke over his shoulder, "What did you do to that Granger cow. She's been mooning all over the castle, it's really disgusting."

Harry was stung by Malfoy's attitude, "I didn't do anything to Hermione, Draco, and don't insult her anymore."

"Oooohhh, and what are you going to do about it,…Potty," sneered Malfoy as he drew his wand.

Harry sat back in his chair, his face grew blank. "I died, Draco, they didn't tell anyone," Harry's voice was misty and faraway like Professor Trelawney's. He slowly raised his right hand. "Accio wand!"

Malfoy's wand was snatched from his hand. Harry deftly caught it as Malfoy's eyes grew wide, "How?"

"Do you really wish a demonstration of the power I brought back from…the other side? I could freeze the flesh from your bones, if you like," he continued in a deeper voice.

Malfoy was looking confused and a little frightened. Harry could sense Draco was thinking he could do magic with no wand. Harry threw him his wand, "No? then get out!"

Malfoy caught his wand and scuttled backwards from the room. Harry leaned back and eased his wand back into his pocket using his left hand. He chuckled at the expression on Malfoy's face, Mad-Eye Moody had been right. People did get used to seeing which hand you used your wand with. He was glad he had tried using either hand. He owed Mad-Eye one, and Trelawney.

Later that evening when he took his potion, he found the taste somewhat different. It still did not taste good, but its harshness was buffered somehow. The relaxing warmth spread through his body as he fell asleep.

************************************************************************

As Molly Weasley predicted, life in the castle settled into a routine again. The novelty of Harry using his staff to get around wore off. December was coming on and the excitement about the end of the term and start of the Christmas holidays was beginning.

One Friday evening, after their Occlumency lesson, Harry and Hermione were knitting. On these occasions they usually talked about lessons, Harry had fallen behind during the two weeks he had spent in the hospital wing and was working hard to catch up, but sometimes they talked about other things. This evening Hermione was unusually quiet. Harry was finishing the muffler he had been working on.

"Very good, Harry," smiled Hermione. "We should be able to start socks soon, now that you can do the stitches."

Harry nodded and smiled back.

"Well, I guess that's all for tonight, it's almost nine thirty." Hermione began gathering her needles and yarn, she took a deep breath and began speaking quickly, without looking at him, "Harry, have you ever thought about getting married?"

Harry was surprised, he thought a moment and answered, "Sure, just like everyone else, but not recently. I remember seeing weddings on the television and in the neighborhood, it just seemed like something everybody did. I wondered what it would be like, who my wife might be, but that was when I was six or seven. Then Dudley started scaring everybody so I didn't have any friends, and avoiding him and his gang began taking most of my time. When I was eleven, I found out I was a wizard, now Voldemort is after me and avoiding him and his gang is taking most of my time. So, I spend most of my time thinking about other things. Why?"

Hermione's expression was inscrutable as she nodded vaguely, she continued softly, "When you told me about the prophecy, I did some research. Did you know the people who defied Voldemort the most were married?"

Harry shook his head, "I didn't think about it, that would be the Longbottoms and my parents. I haven't thought much about the prophecy either, except deciding to tell my friends about it."

Hermione nodded still looking at her shoes. "Do you think there is something about being married that protects people?"

"I don't know? Maybe two people watching out for each other, teamwork?" Harry shrugged.

"I thought of that too. Could it be something magic, perhaps?" Harry did not notice that she was trembling slightly.

"I don't know enough about being married to guess, Hermione. The only marriages I know anything about are between Muggles. I don't remember my parents, and haven't seen that much of how the Weasleys are, but they seem a lot like the Muggles I know. One day I hope I find out. I think I'd like to get married…someday."

Hermione stepped over and gave Harry a quick hug. "Good night, Harry. See you for breakfast," she whispered against his neck. She gave Harry a small smile. She quickly gathered her things and slipped out the door. The sound of her footfalls disappeared rapidly down the stairs.

She stopped running and leaned against the cold, stone wall. Hermione was cycling between furious anger at herself and extreme embarrassment, "How could have I asked him if he ever thought about getting married when I meant to ask it he ever thought about marriage." Fortunately, he had answered the question she had meant to ask. Did that mean he never thought of marrying her, even once in five years, that thought hurt a little. Still, they hadn't even finished one date. Her mother's words rang in her ears, "Harry may not react the same as other people, he may not understand the usual signals we send each other. He could hurt you without meaning to. We just wanted to warn you that you will have to work extra hard if you want a relationship with him. You will have to be more direct with him than you would with other people. I'm afraid Harry is going to cost you all the wit, compassion, and maturity you can conjure up." Picking up her things and what was left of her dignity she headed back to the common room. She resolved to try to be more patient. She didn't know her choice of words had Harry lying awake too.