Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Most Ancient Magic by Dementor149
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Most Ancient Magic

Dementor149

Disclaimer: Everything concerning Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling. I own nothing, nor is this done for any purpose except my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of anyone reading this. There is no attempt to make any profit.

The Most Ancient Magic

Chapter Seven: Vigil and Confession

Dumbledore gently lay Hermione in one of the beds, slipped off her shoes, elevated her feet and covered her with a blanket. Madam Pomfrey had placed Harry at the far end of the ward. Hagrid was leaning against the wall, tears streaming into his beard. Madam Pomfrey was working quickly and efficiently on Harry.

"Hagrid, will you please prepare one of the school carriages and pick up Professor McGonagall, Mr. Ron Weasley, and Miss Luna Lovegood in Hogsmead. Perhaps Madam Pomfrey will know more when you return."

Hagrid nodded shakily and left, pausing briefly to check Hermione.

"How is he, Poppy?" asked Dumbledore. Madam Pomfrey had ceased her ministrations.

"His condition is very bad, Headmaster. I've done all I can for him, his heartbeat and breathing are better, I've called for my teacher, Master Healer Galen, he should be here soon."

"That's good, because you have another patient. Miss Granger needs your attention as well."

At that moment Master Healer Marcus Galen entered the ward from Madam Pomfrey's office, brushing off a little soot from her fireplace. He and Madam Pomfrey conferred for a minute, he drew his wand and set to work.

Madam Pomfrey curtained off Harry's bed and moved to attend to Hermione.

After her examination she told the Headmaster. "You're right, Albus, she's in shock. She picked up her wand and pointed it at Hermione. 'Ennervate,' Hermione opened her eyes as Madam Pomfrey helped her to sit up. Hermione was shivering slightly, as though she were cold.

"Miss Granger, you are in the hospital wing at Hogwarts," said Dumbledore. "Can you tell me about what happened."

It took a few moments but Hermione collected her thoughts and began, "Harry and I had a date at Hogsmead. We were…on our way to…to the Three Broomsticks. Wh - when the Death Eaters came." Hermione's eyes began to tear up. "We fought them. There were about six, I think. … Harry disarmed two of them … Luna was shielding us … I tried to get their wands. Ron came to help. He stunned one. They Disapperated and I thought we'd won. Then two more came, and they k-killed Harry," she sobbed. "Ron tried to shield us, I-I tried to get his w-w-wand, and Luna tried to stun him." Hermione began to take short hitching breaths. "But it was just too late. I t-tried and tried and tried b-but he wouldn't…I…I couldn't get Harry to wake up." Hermione said plaintively and dissolved into tears.

Madam Pomfrey brought Hermione a potion to help calm her down and help restore her vital functions.

"Miss Granger," Dumbledore began, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder, "Harry is not dead." Hermione started and looked at Dumbledore. "His condition is very grave, and he may yet die. But he is still alive for now." Dumbledore continued, his voice was gentle, but seemed to carry some indefinable power. "You, Miss Lovegood, and Mr.Weasley have given him what chance he has for survival. Your breaking Rookwood's contact with his wand, and Miss Lovegood's stunning him may have not allowed him to transmit his full power to the curse. The shield charm may not have allowed all of the power there was to reach Harry. Finally, the Avada Kedavra curse may not work on Harry like it does on others, he has survived it once before."

Hermione nodded, she drew up her knees and hugged them as her trembling abated somewhat.

The word of the attack began to spread through Hogsmead. Many of the students had heard the commotion and Hermione's cries. Some had seen Hagrid running toward Hogwarts. Many frightened students had begun to return to the school where rumors began to spread through the common rooms.

Some of the Gryffindors had come to the door of the hospital wing trying to find out about Harry. Madam Pomfrey shooed them back to their common room. Dumbledore made his way to where Madam Pomfrey stood at the door, "Headmaster, you need to make some kind of announcement. The students are trying to find out how Mr. Potter is doing."

Galen made his way to where Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey were standing.

"How is he, Marcus?"

"Madam Pomfrey did wonders for the young man. I was able to do a little more. His heart is beating and he is breathing. That scar of his is still bleeding. The spell will sustain him for a few hours, unfortunately, he is slowly but perceptibly failing. The spell can be used again but with greatly diminishing returns. He will probably survive the night but will, if nothing changes, expire some time tomorrow afternoon. However, change for the better or worse is possible. I will continue to monitor him. I'm sorry, Albus," he finished, shaking his head.

Professors Sprout and Flitwick arrived to confer with the Headmaster. Madam Pomfrey went to attend Hermione.

"Here Miss Granger, I want you to drink this," she said, "it will help you sleep. What you need most is rest."

"Will I be awake - tomorrow afternoon. I have to be there if Harry - if Harry …" tears began to sparkle in her eyes again.

"Yes, Miss Granger, you will be awake tomorrow and I will come and get you if something happens in the meantime," her voice tightening with her own emotion. "I'm sorry you heard what Healer Galen said."

"It's-I'd rather know what's happening," Hermione said quietly. "Please, may I have a sheet of parchment and a quill. I want to send a letter to my parents. They'll hear about the attack and I want them to know I'm ok."

"Of course, but please drink your potion when you finish, you will need your strength, no matter what happens." Madam Pomfrey went to fetch the writing materials.

Hermione wrote her letter. She finished and sealed it and sat for a few minutes looking rather forlorn.

Professor McGonagall entered the hospital wing with Ron, Luna, and Arthur following her. McGonagall called Madam Pomfrey to attend to Ron and Luna, Arthur went immediately to check on Harry. While the nurse checked them out McGonagall went to talk to Hermione.

"Miss Granger," she began. But Hermione seemed to pay no attention. "Hermione," she tried again. Startled by the use of her given name, Hermione looked at her. Professor McGonagall smiled tenderly. "I saw you and Mr. Potter in Hogsmead this morning. For what it is worth to you I have never seen him look happier. I'm so sorry this happened." Professor McGonagall gave Hermione a hug and left to check on Harry and join the conference with the other heads of the houses.

After taking their Calming Drafts, Ron and Luna joined Hermione at her bedside.

"How are you?" asked Luna.

Hermione shook her head.

"Harry?"

Hermione swallowed, "Unless something happens he will die. Possibly tonight. Probably tomorrow." She started to cry silently. Both Ron and Luna both tried to comfort her. After a few minutes she regained control. "Ron, would you do me a favor?"

Ron, stunned by the news he had just heard, whispered, "What?"

"Please, find Hedwig, ask her to take this letter to my parents. It needs to go now. Please," she begged.

Ron nodded, took the letter, and slipped from the hospital wing. Luna helped Hermione change into a nightdress and watched as she drank her sleeping potion.

Dumbledore stood for a moment looking at Harry. He lay unconscious and pale on his pillow, a large bandage covering his scar, he looked extraordinarily small and helpless.

"The curse re-opened the scar, I thought it best to let it close on its own, I am disturbed that it won't stop bleeding," said Galen.

The headmaster conjured a couple of couches in the corner. "Cancel dinner for tonight, we will send food to the common rooms, tell the students we will send reports. I need to go to my office to send word to the ministry." He sighed, turned and swept from the room.

************************************************************************

Ron found Hedwig and gave her Hermione's letter. He watched as she soared off over the forest.

As he returned to the hospital wing he heard his mother calling to him, "Ron, Ron, wait!" he turned to see her hurrying up the stairs, looking anxious.

Molly swept her son into her arms, "Oh Ron, what happened? The clock says Harry's in mortal peril." Ron began his story about how he was visiting Hogsmead and he heard the shouts and spellfire and ran to help. He had difficulty controlling his tears as he told her about how Rookwood had used the Killing Curse on Harry and how he had tried to stop it, about how he had been sick after learning that Rookwood had died too. "I tried to help, but Hermione said Harry's probably going to die anyway." Molly appeared shocked but hugged Ron, attempting to comfort him.

They went into the ward. Ron anxiously checked on Hermione, she was asleep, curled in a ball under her blanket. At the end of the ward, Luna was sitting with Professor Flitwick. Professor McGonagall was talking to Arthur and Professor Sprout. Hagrid was sitting in the corner.

Screwing up her courage Molly walked to the end of the ward. Her hands flew to her mouth to stifle a cry as she saw Harry lying in the bed. She began to weep quietly, the memories of the Boggart and her own dreams were too strong. Arthur came to support his wife. "Arthur, what are we going to do?"

"There's nothing we can do, except wait," Arthur sighed, wiping his wife's tears with his handkerchief. Slowly Molly began to calm down. Madam Pomfrey prepared a Calming Draft for her in case she needed it.

The door opened and Lupin came hurrying into the ward. He blanched as he saw Harry. "What happened?" he asked the Weasleys.

"Professor Lupin," began Luna, "I can tell you what happened." Luna launched into the story of the events of the morning. As she was telling the story Ron came down and sat with Luna and his parents. Master Healer Galen came and filled them in on the medical details of Harry's condition while he checked Harry again.

The afternoon hours crawled on. Dumbledore returned to sit with them. With a flick of his wand he conjured a tray of sandwiches and a jug of grape juice. After a while Snape came in, he sat stony faced with the other heads for an hour, then left again. The prefects of the houses came at regular intervals to get reports. Each time they returned with the same information. Harry's condition was very bad, but he was still alive. Madam Pomfrey came every couple of hours to change Harry's dressing because the wound refused to stop bleeding.

As night was falling Dumbledore heard an odd noise coming from under Harry's bed. He lifted the edge of the blanket to find Dobby sitting under the bed. He had tears in his enormous green eyes, his bat-like ears drooping. "Harry Potter is far away and lost, sir. We is calling and calling to him, but he doesn't answer. All the elves is calling, but Master is far away." He shook his head sadly.

The evening hours passed as slowly as the afternoon hours had. A feeling of foreboding hung about the common rooms as the students whispered the rumors that had come from the village. All through the wizarding world people were talking about the Boy Who Lived and the attack in the village. There was little conversation in the hospital wing, all they could do was watch as Harry's breathing grew steadily more ragged. He was failing faster than originally predicted. Snape returned about eleven o'clock.

By midnight Ron and Luna had fallen asleep. Luna's head was resting on Ron's shoulder.

Hermione came around the curtains of Harry's bed. They heard the light slap of her bare feet on the stone floor. She was obviously fighting the effects of the Sleeping Draft she had taken in the early afternoon and had forgotten her slippers and dressing gown.

Professor McGonagall was at her side in an instant. She pulled up a chair for Hermione, Hermione knelt in the chair so she could lean close to Harry. Pulling her wand Professor McGonagall summoned Hermione's slippers and placed them on her feet, then she draped her tartan shawl over Hermione's shoulders. Hermione gently took hold of Harry's right hand and pressed it to her cheek. "Professor, he's so cold," she said, "is he dead?"

"No, dear, not yet," she replied. Professor McGonagall's voice was rather husky.

"Harry, I feel you slipping away. Please don't go," she said plaintively. The sound of her voice woke Ron and Luna. "Harry, there's something I need to tell you. I - I love you. Please don't die." Tears began to roll slowly down her cheeks.

Molly gasped at Hermione's admission, and began to tear up also. Ron went to stand on the opposite side of Harry's bed, he had clenched his fists, and his face was impassive as Hermione's words shredded his heart. Luna went to stand beside Ron. She took his arm in a gesture of comfort. Arthur watched his son as he realized what Ron was feeling. Lupin, feeling Hermione's pain closed his eyes.

Hermione let go of his hand as she lay her head on Harry's chest, listening to his heartbeat. She heard his heart miss a few beats then start again. Sitting up, she held his hand to her cheek again. Galen came and re-cast the spell that was helping Harry's heart to beat. They all continued their vigil.

************************************************************************

Harry felt he was moving through a dense fog. He thought he could see shapes like trees but he just couldn't get them to focus. He remembered hearing voices earlier but there was only silence now. He knew he was in trouble. He had seen the green flash and suddenly the world had gone gray. He had called to Hermione, then to Ron and Luna, but no one had answered. He had seen a golden flash but no color since then. Earlier he had felt a sensation of weight, it had increased after the flash but had been steadily growing fainter until he felt the weight of his hand again. The only other place he could feel anything was the scar on his forehead. The scar was aching dully and persistently. Harry was trying to decide what to do when a voice spoke to him, "Harry? What are you doing here?"

"Hello? Please, where am I? Who are you?" he asked, vainly searching for a face.

"You don't recognize my voice?"

"Sirius? Is that really you? But you're dead."

"Yes, I am. Do you know where you are now?" the voice gently asked.

"Dead?" Harry asked.

"Not dead or we would see each other. You are close enough to death that we can talk, however. What happened, why are you here?"

"I was visiting the village. Hermione and I were on our first date-,"

Sirius' delighted laughter interrupted him. It was unlike anything Harry had heard from him before. It was light and easy as a swiftly running stream. Its joy was contagious and Harry's heart felt lighter for hearing it.

"Well, it's about time you noticed her. I can't tell you how happy this makes me."

"Anyway, we were attacked by Death Eaters. One of them must have used a killing curse. I saw this green flash and then I was here. Sirius, I'm so sorry. It's my fault you died." Harry felt like crying.

"I told you not to beat yourself up over it, Harry. It's my fault too. If I had listened to Dumbledore, Shacklebolt, and Tonks, I wouldn't have gone. Sorry, Harry, I had to come after you, just like you came after me."

Sirius paused. "I should have paid more attention to dueling Bellatrix instead of taunting her. I might still be alive today, but that is not guaranteed," Sirius voice seemed to shrug. "I could have fallen down the stairs at home and be just as dead today.

"See Harry, you shouldn't blame yourself for everything. You were deceived, you made a mistake, we all do. You have to learn from your mistakes, try not to repeat them as you go out and make new ones. The only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do anything. Can you think of anything you might have done differently?"

"Listened to Hermione, she tried to tell me it might be a trap," he said glumly.

"Learning not to be so rash is a good lesson, but that takes wisdom, and wisdom comes with time. Usually by learning from mistakes." Sirius's voice smiled.

"Anything you might have done differently today?" he asked.

Harry explained what happened during the fight.

"So, outside of learning when to duck, I'd say you did everything right. So how come you're almost dead?"

Harry didn't know what to say.

"Even when you do things right, bad things can happen, Harry. In combat, things go wrong, after the battle is are over, learn, but don't dwell on the mistakes. You lacked situational awareness, but that only comes from training and practice. Just remember and do better next time."

Harry silently considered what Sirius had told him.

"Some words of advice?"

"I'm listening."

"Enjoy every day, Harry. There will be good and bad in every one. Don't put off doing anything if you can help it, especially if it will help someone else. Keep on good terms with everyone you can because you never know how much time you have left. That way you may have fewer regrets. Promise?" Sirius asked.

Harry replied thoughtfully, "I'll try."

"Now, I have a message for you. Go back, it's not your time to be here."

"Who sent the message? …Can't I come with you?"

Sirius laughed again. The sound made Harry feel like warm water was being poured down his back. "First, it's not whether you could but whether you should, because if that is your choice, you can stay, but remember the prophecy, what will happen if you die?"

"Voldemort wins," said Harry.

"Should you come?"

"I guess not."

"Second, I can't answer about who sent the message. The answer will take a lifetime, your lifetime. You must discover the answers for yourself. All I can tell you is that Voldemort, in attempting to become immortal, is raising against himself enemies that are more powerful than he can imagine.

"One day it will be your time and we will see you then. Are you really dating Hermione? Your Mum and Dad will be so pleased when I tell them. I'm on my way to visit them as a matter of fact."

"You can tell them I think that…I hope that…I have a girlfriend. Could I see Mum and Dad too?"

"Your new senses have not awakened, that's why you can't see or hear anything but me. Your parents have long lost their ability to perceive you, so no, you can't. I haven't yet lost that ability, but it will not be long before I cannot either."

"Wait! What does it look like?"

"Questions," Sirius sighed. "Can you explain purple to a blind man, or a symphony to a deaf one?"

"No."

"Same problem. You have no point of reference. You'll just have to discover for yourself when you get here."

"How do I get back home?"

"Your journey lies inward Harry. Try moving toward whatever is attaching you to your life. You have moved beyond the confines of the space you know. Search for your anchors. Farewell, son, I'll see you again when you come to stay."

Harry somehow knew that Sirius was leaving, receding at the speed of light, yet it seemed to take a long time before he was gone. Harry willed himself to move inward toward the pain from his scar and toward the sense of weight that was coming from his right hand. The world around him began to grow darker and he felt as though he were falling. Suddenly he heard voices again, many voices, high pitched and squeaky, they seemed to be welcoming him. He became aware of his heart beating, his breathing, and someone holding his hand.