Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter; it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Chapter Eleven

The Death Eaters fled into the night, vanishing in various degrees of muted cracks. The Hogwarts Express was left silent and broken. Harry stepped into the section of train that had only moments before been a battlefield of flying curses. Draco and Hermione followed shortly after him.

The place was a mess: broken windows, glass and splintered wood littering the floor, blackened gauges from missed curses lining the walls. Not to mention the motionless bodies of four downed Death Eaters and a few Hogwarts students. It was like stepping into a long abandoned building. A thin cloud of dust floated in the air, unable to settle. Harry could taste it, bitter and chalk on his tongue. He could also sense the vibrations of magical energy thrumming in the compartment, almost too much to bear, left over from the battle.

Dumbledore approached him, bits of wood crunching underfoot. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine," Harry said, and then glancing back at Hermione and Draco, he amended, "we're fine."

"That is good news," Dumbledore said. His blue eyes scanned the compartment mournfully, resting on the Hogwarts students, before he turned back to face the Aurors and Order members. "Dawson, Trill - bind these Death Eaters and arrange for transport to Azkaban." Dumbledore gave Harry another brief look, before moving away and issuing more orders.

Sirius took his place, grabbing Harry in a quick bear like hug before pulling away.

"Trouble does seem to follow you around, doesn't it," Sirius said, stating a fact more than asking a question.

Harry shrugged, more than used to it.

"I'm glad your safe," Sirius said, shifting his eyes to Hermione to make sure she knew she was included in that sentiment as well. She smiled a sad smile at him appreciatively, but it was nowhere near her usual beam.

"Where's Remus?" Harry asked, looking over Sirius shoulder, hoping to catch a glimpse of his father's friend.

"He and Tonks Apparated into the woods around the train," Sirius answered. "Dumbledore felt some magical energy coming from there, so we thought it best to send some people in."

"Right," Harry replied. "That'll probably be Ginny and Neville he sensed. I told them to find as many students as possible and then run into the woods for safety."

"The train is emptier than it should be," Draco observed. "Everyone else probably had the same idea."

"Quite right Draco," Dumbledore agreed. "I've sent Aurors into the woods to retrieve the rest of the surviving students and arranged for Portkeys to be created to transport you all to Hogwarts."

"Sir," Harry said, getting Dumbledores attention, "you should check the rest of the train as well. I took out a few Death Eaters before I found Draco and Hermione."

"Ah yes," Dumbledore said, "I've already sent Gibb and Alastor to do just that. Now, in the meantime, I think it best if we get you off this train and allow the Aurors space to do their jobs. Sirius, I trust you'll accompany them?"

"Of course," Sirius said, nodding his head.

Harry would have objected, but one look at Hermione and he shut his mouth. She was a lot paler than he liked and he was only now realising that she had been strangely quiet since she had seen those dead boys. As he put his arm around her and led her out of the train wordlessly, she seemed to crumple into him for support. Sirius and Draco followed.

Harry found a nice clean spot by the side of the train that wasn't littered with glass and sat her down. She gave in weakly, lolling her head onto his shoulder when he joined her. Tightening his hold on her, Harry looked up at Draco and Sirius.

"This is what he wanted," Harry said, getting right to the point. "It wasn't about the Death Eaters winning or losing. He's sent his message to the entire wizarding world and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it."

"I don't get it," Draco said.

"Don't you?" Harry laughed bitterly. "Do you think this isn't going to be all over Daily Prophet tomorrow? Not likely. Voldemort has broken past Hogwarts defences and now he's attacked the Hogwarts Express. Every parent is going to know this. Voldemort is attacking the heart of the wizarding world, and it's only the beginning. If people had doubts after last year, this will have crushed them for good. He's back and things are only going to get worse."

If anybody had any arguments to Harry's statement, they didn't voice them.

It wasn't long before the rest of the surviving Hogwarts students began to appear, trickling out of the forest in small groups. Harry, Hermione, and Draco watched from their seated positions as their classmates made their way slowly, cautiously, towards the train. Dumbledore has summoned forth a piece of parchment with the names of all Hogwarts students attending this year, so that as each group arrived, their names where checked off the list as accounted for.

Neville and Ginny emerged from the forest last, Remus and Tonks trailing behind them with the group of first years, looking haggard, but otherwise whole. They checked their names off the list and then, spotting Harry, made their way over to them.

"Harry!" Neville greeted, relieved. He spotted Hermione practically curled around Harry and frowned with worry. "Hermione? You okay?"

"She'll be okay," Harry said, answering for her. "It's been a long, hard day."

"Tell me about it," Neville replied. "I'm exhausted. Erm," Neville voiced changed abruptly, returning to its usual meekness. "Do you know if…you know…anyone…died?"

"I'm not sure who," Harry replied, "but yeah."

Neville cursed softly under his breath and looked down at the ground, suddenly dejected. A silence descended, only to be broken when Draco got to his feet. He'd been staring at Neville and Ginny's joint hands with barely concealed anger and jealousy.

"Ginny," he said, catching her eyes. He took a breath, searching for the right words. It used to be easy to talk to her, but now, he always had to worry about saying the wrong thing. Finally, with a sigh, he settled on a simple: "I'm glad your okay."

Ginny nodded, her mouth curving in a slight smile. Draco nodded back, but couldn't stop his traitorous eyes from shifting to her hand. Suddenly realising she was still holding Neville's hand; she snatched it back abruptly and lowered her head to the ground, unknowingly mimicking Draco. Neville looked at them, shocked out of his own musing, his eyes unable to hide his hurt.

Harry sighed, but was saved having to interrupt his friend's dramatics when Ron appeared.

"Ginny!" he shouted, breaking into a run. Ginny had barely time to look up before she was engulfed in a hug that would have made Mrs. Weasley proud.

"Ugh," Ginny grunted, surprised, then, "Ron, please. I can't breathe."

"Oh," Ron pulled back, as if suddenly realising where he was and what he had been doing - abashed. "Sorry," he muttered.

Ginny turned her eyes back to Draco, but he had already moved away from her and was in the process of sitting back down besides Hermione. She sighed softly and looked back at Ron.

"It's okay," she said, "I'm glad you're alright too."

The group fell once more into silence, each unsure of how exactly to proceed. Harry was too busy coddling Hermione to pay any more attention to the rest of the group. Draco was glaring down at his feet, silently wishing bodily harm upon Neville Longbottom, who in turn was returning the sentiment, although with a lot less force. As for Ginny, the object of their strife, she was trying to figure out just why her life had to be this complicated. A Bludger in the middle of a field of Golden Snitch's, Ron just felt uncomfortable.

Harry caught sight of an unfamiliar face talking urgently with Dumbledore. The face belonged to man with wild tawny hair, which was streaked with grey, and wearing dark red Auror robes.

Frowning, Harry turned to Neville and said, "look after Hermione for a sec, will you?"

"Sure," Neville said.

"What's up Harry?" Draco asked.

But Harry didn't hear him; he was already striding away towards Dumbledore and the wizard in the Auror robes. As he approached, he heard the wizard speaking in rough tones.

"…this is just completely unacceptable, how am I supposed to convince the general wizarding community that we - the Ministry of Magic - have everything under control when their children are constantly under attack. First Hogwarts and now the Hogwarts Express. You must know that there will be no way for this to be covered up, it's already too widespread."

"And what do you expect me to do Rufus?" Dumbledore questioned calmly.

"Well, I…" But Rufus stopped, having caught sight of Harry stepping up besides Dumbledore. His eyes flicked up towards Harry's scar, then narrowed suspiciously. "So you're Harry Potter."

"Yeah," Harry said, not liking the wizards tone, "I am. That a problem?"

"Harry," Dumbledore admonished, "this is the new Minister for Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour."

"I see," Harry said, appraising the aged wizard. "Well, at least he looks more competent than that idiot Fudge."

Rufus's eyes flashed angrily, but Dumbledore spoke before he could. "Did you want something Harry?"

"No, not really." Harry turned and walked slowly away, lingering long enough to listen to the next few lines of conversation.

"You ought to watch that one Dumbledore," Scrimgeour warned, "I can smell Dark wizards from a mile away, and that Harry Potter stinks."

"'That Harry Potter' is the one who informed me about the attack on the Hogwarts Express," Dumbledore returned mildly, "if it were not for Harry, I'm sure we would have a lot more casualties on hand."

"I don't trust anyone who can converse with snakes." Rufus argued, as if that settled it.

Harry didn't hear what Dumbledore replied to that, he was too far away. He rejoined the group, sitting down next to Hermione again, wrapping an arm around her, when Alastor Moody appeared, clutching a mouldy old log.

"Alright everyone," he said, "listen up. This is your Portkey. It'll take you straight to the gates of Hogwarts, where Hagrid will be waiting to let you in. Got it?"

Everyone nodded their assent and gathered around the old log, placing a finger upon the crumbling bark.

"Hang on." Moody said, then Harry felt the familiar tug behind the navel, and he was swirling through the air, between Neville and Hermione, before his feet finally hit the ground outside Hogwarts.

"'Arry!" Hagrid boomed his greeting, clapping Harry hard on the shoulder. "'Am glad yer safe, I was righ' worried, I was."

"Thanks Hagrid." Harry said, giving the half-giant a rare smile.

"Jus' head on up t' Hogwarts," Hagrid went on, "you know the way. Got ter wait 'ere for nex' lot."

"Right," Harry said, then clapped Hagrid on the arm, stretching his arm to do so, before leading the group up to the castle.

Ron had already gone on ahead, but Neville, Draco and Ginny remained by his side. Hermione was still curled up in his embrace, walking slowly. She looked up at him, smiling weakly.

"Sorry Harry," she said, "I just keep on letting you down, don't I? It was those boys, they where just so young and…innocent. What did they do to deserve that?"

"What are you talking about," Harry said, shaking his head, "letting me down? Don't be ridiculous."

"Yeah," Draco added, as they reached the large oak doors that led to the Entrance Hall, "you where amazing against those Death Eaters earlier. That Reducto was incredibly powerful, I mean, you blew right through the wood panelling and straight through the steel."

"…I guess," Hermione said, "but I…"

"Forget it Hermione," Harry said, interrupting her, "from what I hear, you did great. So what if you feel a little bit faint afterwards, that only means you're human."

"I suppose."

The group of five passed through the Entrance Hall and into the Great Hall, which was a lot less crowded than it usually was at the start of year feast. It was also eerily quiet, like a funeral. The Slytherin table was the most packed, which wasn't exactly a big surprise to any of the five.

Harry and Draco cast their eyes over their house table, seeing looks of open hostility on quite a few faces. Crabbe, Goyle and Theodore Nott, their three remaining roommates, glared openly at them. Harry noticed Heather Pritchard, an annoying harpy of a girl that had a huge crush on him, and Pansy Parkinson, an equally annoying girl who had a huge crush on Draco, sitting five seats away from the crowd, as if trying to distance themselves from the rest of the table. Heather gave him a big smile and a wave, but Pansy quickly grabbed her hand and pulled it down before any of the other Slytherin's noticed. She proceeded to talk sharply and swiftly in low tones that Harry couldn't hear, but by the look on Heather's face it was clear Pansy was admonishing her.

"You know what," Draco said, speaking out of the side of his mouth, "I really don't fancy sitting at that table."

"I don't blame you," Hermione said, "you look as welcome as a Gryffindor would be."

"Why don't you come and sit with us Harry?" Neville asked.

"Is that even allowed?" Ginny asked. "Don't we have to sit at our house table?"

"I think so," Harry agreed. "Don't worry about me or Draco, we can take care of ourselves."

"Yeah," Draco echoed, "besides, it's not as if they can do anything out here in the open. Not that I'm afraid of them trying anything, if they did, I'd just wipe the floor with all of 'em."

"Don't start trouble you two," Hermione warned, pointing an accusing finger at the two Slytherins. She seemed to have recovered some of her fire.

"Me?" Draco mock gasped. "Start trouble? You wound me, Hermione."

With that, Draco dropped a wink, then headed straight for the Slytherin table, head held defiantly high. Harry watched him go, shaking his head at Draco's theatrics. Then he turned back to the others.

"Well," he said, "I guess I'll see you guys later. Neville." He nodded his head at the chubby teen. "Ginny." Another nod.

"Later Harry." Neville waved.

"Bye," said Ginny.

"Hermione," Harry took a firmer hold on her hand, lent in close, speaking low, "wait for me in the Entrance Hall, after the feast. Okay?"

"…Okay," Hermione acquiesced, looking at Harry inquisitively.

But Harry gave her no explanation, only kissed her chastely on the lips, and then headed over to join Draco at the hostile Slytherin table.

Draco, it seemed, had decided to sit himself down in the gap between the rest of the Slytherins and Pansy and Heather. Harry joined him, sitting between Draco and a burly looking fifth-year. He cast his eyes down the table. Theodore Nott, a tall, thin, regal looking wizard with sleek black hair and a thin moustache, gave him a haughty sneer. Crabbe and Goyle sniggered idiotically behind him. Harry gave them a little smile.

"Oh, how I would just love for them to show their true colours," Draco muttered beside him. "I'd soon show them who they're messing with."

"We can't do anything Draco," Harry said, "you know that, right?"

"Yeah, yeah," Draco agreed, fiddling with his wand in the pocket of his robes. "It's just so damn maddening. We know they're pretty much Death Eaters. They're in virtually the same boat as I was. Parents are Death Eaters, so that as good as makes them Death Eaters. Except, we can't do anything about it because we have no proof. Annoying, right?"

"Very."

Harry looked away from Nott, back up the table towards Pansy and Heather. Pansy had her head bowed over, as if trying to hide from the world. Heather looked up just as Harry glanced her way, locking eyes with her startlingly blue eyes. She gave him a quick smile, obviously heeding Pansy advice, then looked away.

"Looks like the harpy still fancies you," observed Draco.

"So it seems."

It took almost a full hour before all of the remaining Hogwarts students arrived via Portkey. They trundled into the Great Hall in groups ranging from six to eight, taking seats at their house tables and talking quietly to each other. Dumbledore and the rest of the Hogwarts Professors arrived, taking their usual seats at the staff table. Harry ran his eyes over them.

Examining the staff table, he found that two of them where unfamiliar to him. At the end of the long table was a short, stiff looking wizard who had a rather pompous face. He was sitting in Professor Vector's old seat, so Harry figured he was the new Arithmancy teacher.

The other wizard had to be their new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. He was extremely tall, had long white hair that rivalled even Dumbledore's, thick white eyebrows and an outrageously long thin beard that seemed to be loosely wrapped at least five times around his neck, and still dangled almost halfway down the wizards chest. He wore light blue robes in a style Harry had never seen before, open at the neck, revealing a vast amount of aged chest hair. One other thing was glaringly obvious about the old wizard - he was, without a doubt, Oriental.

Before Harry could ponder this any further, the double doors of the Great Hall opened again, and Professor McGonagall appeared, leading a long line of first-years. They lined up along the staff table, looking terrified. Professor McGonagall placed the four-legged stool and Sorting Hat down, and then stood back.

However, instead of reading of the names of the new students - so that they could be sorted - she turned and looked at Dumbledore, who stood up.

"It has been a very long, tiring day," Dumbledore said, looking down at every student, "and I am sure you all are very much looking forward to curling up in your nice warm beds and going to sleep. I would ask you only to give me your full attention for a short while, then to allow the first-years to be sorted, and then you may do as you please.

"Firstly, I must remind you all that we are currently living in trying times. Lord Voldemort has indeed returned. His attack on the Hogwarts Express could not have been expected. I have said this before, but it bears being repeated. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. His attack on the Hogwarts Express was his first attempt at creating that discord. How you react to it - that is up to you. You must remain strong and true in the face of Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Lord Voldemort is attempting to create fear amongst you, but that fear is all in your head. I must impress upon you this fact - you have nothing to fear as long as you are within these walls.

"We have two new staff members with us this year. I would like to introduce your new Arithmancy teacher, Professor Gridlock," Dumbledore gestured to the stiff wizard, who nodded his head ever so slightly, "and of course, your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, who we are very lucky to have with us, Professor Oniki." Dumbledore swept his other arm over to the Oriental wizard on his right.

"Well, that should do it, Professor McGonagall, proceed with the Sorting."

And Dumbledore sat back down.

"Ackerly, Amanda!" Professor McGonagall shouted, and the Sorting began.