Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks I do own Harry Potter is an idiot.

A/N: Ooh, not long to go now. I'm going to try and get these out as fast as possible without rushing them, so keep an eye out for updates. Reviews are a writer's food, and without food we die. Enjoy.

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Neville trailed behind as Dumbledore led them through the wizard prison Azkaban. Harry had given them specific orders - it was their job to take out the last Horcrux, Voldemort's large, lethal snake Nagini. The sword of Gryffindor hung at his waist. Harry said it was the only weapon that would do the job and he was in charge of it. The responsibility was heavy, just like the sword.

'You okay?' Ron asked, dropping back to speak with him quietly. Luna slowed as well.

'Fine,' Neville said, gripping the sword by the handle.

'We're supposed to kill this snake with that, right?' Ron gestured to the sword.

'Yeah.'

'Looks heavy,' Ron observed.

'You want to hold it?' Neville offered, unclipping the belt from his waist and holding it out.

'Seriously?' Ron nodded, taking the sword. 'Potter would never let me hold this thing… wow…'

'I'm not Harry,' Neville explained. 'What could it hurt to let you hold it for a while?'

'Yeah, yeah,' Ron agreed, distractedly swinging the sword about. Luna smiled at the sight. He looked like a little kid with a new toy.

Neville laughed lightly. 'Careful.'

'I got it,' Ron grunted, taking another swing. 'Man, this really is heavy.'

'I better take it back,' Neville said, holding out his hand. 'Harry gave me this job, and I…'

But it wasn't meant to be. A cry from in front took them all by surprise.

'Death Eaters!'

A green light split the air and a body tumbled. Ron dropped to the ground, still holding the sword. Luna fell with him. Dumbledore jumped in the way as another jet of green light flew at them… it was so close… Dumbledore waved his arm… and the Killing Curse was somehow propelled upwards, missing Dumbledore by mere centimetres.

'Neville look out!' Luna yelled.

Neville realised what was about to happen and dived backwards and to the ground just as the curse hit the stone above him and exploded. Brick and stone fell in on the corridor, caving it in, and blocking off Neville from the others.

Neville hit his head when he fell and was left dazed for a moment, before he slipped into unconsciousness.

'Neville!' Ron cried on the other side, digging at the crumpled pieces of ceiling.

Dumbledore and the others had long since taken care of the Death Eaters. Now the aged Headmaster stood at Ron's back. 'Mr. Weasley,' he said patiently, 'I'm sorry, but we must press on.'

'What about Neville? We can't leave him!' Ron argued, still digging.

'He may already be dead,' Dumbledore said gravely.

Ron hung his head and his hands stilled.

'The ceiling caved in directly above him,' Dumbledore continued. 'I'm sorry.'

Ron nodded slowly.

'We have a job to do,' Dumbledore said, 'and Harry is counting on us. You have the sword. Will you wield it for us in Mr. Longbottom's stead?'

Ron didn't say anything. He just got up and fixed the sword and belt around his waist. Dumbledore nodded in approval and turned back to lead. Ron followed morosely. How many more people had to die before this ended? He didn't know Neville that well, but they had been housemates for seven years, and he'd always liked the quiet boy. They'd shared a dorm! And now he was dead.

Ron felt Luna take his hand. He didn't need to look to know it was Luna. He could tell just from the feel of the hand - so dainty and soft and warm. She didn't say a word, but he got the message. He clutched at her hand and together they walked on.

Harry led his group with Hermione by his side. At first he had no idea where he was leading them, but then, slowly, he became aware of a pulling, as if he was being summoned. He felt it in his scar, tickling his forehead persistently. He knew what it was it.

It was Voldemort.

Voldemort knew they were here and he welcomed it - he wanted Harry to find him, just as much as Harry wanted to find him. He had to answer the call. It was why he was here, but he couldn't risk anyone else. If he was truly to fight and defeat Voldemort, he couldn't do it with the rest of them around, getting in the way. The battle would be brutal and destructive. He knew he couldn't put Hermione in the middle of it.

Harry stopped suddenly.

'Harry?' Hermione asked questioningly, peering into his face.

Harry took a moment, steeled himself, and said, 'I have to go the rest of the way on my own.'

'What?' Hermione snapped. 'Are you crazy? No, Harry.'

'It's not your decision,' Harry said, meeting her beseeching eyes. 'I don't want you there.' She flinched as if struck and looked down. 'You know why Hermione. I don't know what's going to happen when we get there. I won't be able to concentrate with you in danger like that.' She snapped her head up again, about to argue, but he beat her to it. 'I know. You don't need to say it.'

'Harry,' Remus said pleadingly. 'We can help you. I know you're not one to ask for help, but we freely give it.'

'I appreciate that,' Harry said, 'but I can't accept it. The truth of the matter is I know I won't be able to beat Voldemort if I have to worry about protecting all of you. It hurts, but it's the truth.'

Remus lowered his head.

'You should have been in Gryffindor kid,' Sirius said. 'I've never met anyone braver in my life. Good luck.'

'No!' Hermione screeched. 'No! No! No! Sirius! Remus! How can you let him do this? Don't you love him?'

'Hermione, of course we do,' Remus said sadly, 'but you heard him. He's made up his mind.'

'And I believe in him,' Sirius added proudly. 'He's going to do it. Don't worry Hermione. Have faith.'

Hermione bit her lip and gave Harry a long tortured look. 'Please…'

'I'll go with him,' Draco said, speaking up for the first time.

Harry was about to protest, but Draco shot him a look, a look that said 'don't argue'. Harry understood. 'Okay, I suppose that will be fine. Draco can come with me.'

'I'll keep him safe Hermione.'

Hermione shook her head, her body and mind racked by indecision.

'Hermione.' Harry took her in his arms and kissed her forehead. 'Draco will be there to watch my back. It'll be fine. I'll come back,' he promised.

Hermione gave in and nodded. 'Okay.'

Harry gave her a kiss and stepped back. 'Take care of her,' he charged Sirius and Remus.

'We will,' Sirius guaranteed.

Harry shared one last look with Hermione. 'Let's go,' he said to Draco.

Draco followed as Harry led the way, leaving Hermione, Sirius and Remus behind. They walked down several corridors, up one floor, and then down a few more cell lined passages, before Draco finally spoke. 'Harry.'

Harry stopped.

'Good luck,' Draco said, holding out his hand.

Harry took it and gave it a shake.

'And you as well.'

Draco nodded and turned to leave.

'Draco,' Harry called, getting the retreating wizard to turn around inquiringly. 'Make him pay.'

Draco met Harry's eyes from down the hall. There was no need for words. Draco gave barely a nod and then left. His eyes said it all.

Revenge burned in them brighter than the sun.

Ron hid himself in the doorway of the cell as the conflict went on around him.

Dumbledore had led them here, following some kind of signal only he could see. Luna explained it to him patiently. They where heading for a large gathering of magical energy, which Dumbledore deduced was the location of their target. Ron understood. The energy Dumbledore could sense was the collection of Death Eaters Voldemort had guarding Nagini.

The trap shouldn't have surprised them, but it did. As spells began to fly at them from both sides, Dumbledore's unit had to seek cover where they could, in the nooks and crannies and the open cells running the length of the corridor.

At the end of the corridor, they could see the snake Nagini hovering in a protective shell.

He held the sword of Gryffindor in hand and attempted to peer down the hallway. A curse nearly blasted his face off. He ducked back to avoid it and pressed himself tightly to the wall. Luna looked at him across the way and mouthed something.

'I'll cover you.' At least, Ron hoped that was what she was trying to tell him. He shook his head - this was insane. Okay, yeah, they had to kill this snake thingy, which meant he had to reach it, but how was he supposed to get by all those Death Eaters, even with Luna providing cover fire, and then, even if he did, he doubted he'd be able to break Voldemort's protective barrier.

Before he could think anymore, a shape came rushing into his hiding space, followed by a barrage of spells. The Auror Kingsley Shacklebolt knelt across from him, holding his wand. 'You have to reach that snake Weasley. Albus has our rear. Now all we need to do is get you past those Death Eaters.' Kingsley indicated the group protecting Nagini.

'Easier said than done,' Ron voiced his opinion.

'True,' Kingsley admitted, 'but we have no choice. For Potter to succeed, Nagini must die. The sword is yours now. You must do it.'

'But,' Ron began to protest.

'Albus told me to tell you that the sword will protect you, if you let it.'

'What the hell does that mean?'

Kingsley smiled grimly. 'You're about to find out. On three, you're going to run to the next cell.' Kingsley shared a look with Luna. 'We will protect you from fire as best we can. Hopefully we'll be able to take some of those Death Eaters out as well.'

'I liked the sword better when Neville held it,' Ron grumbled, but he took up sword and prepared himself. In his other hand, he held his wand. 'On three?'

'One. Two. Three!'

Ron rushed out, keeping low, and ran as fast as his long legs could handle. Spells flew overhead, whistled past his ears, blew up the sides of the walls and showered him in debris and dust. He reached the next cell and dived in, chest heaving, feeling as if his heart might explode. He laughed crazily.

'I'm so going to die.'

When he looked out and up, he saw Kingsley hand held out, palm up - a clear sign to stay where he was. He ducked back in and watched as spells flew by in both directions. The next thing he knew, Kingsley was beside him again, and with backup. A young Auror had joined them. Ron didn't know his name, but he was grateful all the same. Any help was welcome help. Ron looked across as Luna followed them, pressing herself against the cell across the corridor. She smiled encouragingly at him.

'Ready?' Kingsley asked.

Ron heaved a breath and gave a nod. He ran out again, amidst more cover fire, until he reached the next cell. They repeated this several more times until disaster struck.

Ron was hiding again, waiting for Kingsley, Luna and the un-named Auror, when suddenly a shout erupted. Ron stuck his head out, terror seizing his throat and heart tightly (not Luna!), and looked up the corridor. Spells still flew, into the dust, creating more dust, and shrouding his vision. Then Luna appeared (his heart loosened), unharmed, firing spells rapidly down the corridor. The young Auror came next, supporting a dazed looking Kingsley Shacklebolt, who had blood dripping down the left side of his face. As they drew closer, another spell came flying, and struck the young Auror. He fell limp, a green cast spreading outwards from point of impact. Ron knew what it was - the Killing Curse. Luna hesitated, looking back in horror.

'Luna! Run!' Ron yelled. Luna looked back at him, ducked as a spell came whizzing at her. 'Run!' She did and dived in beside him. He seized her with relief.

'Ron, Kingsley's still alive, we have to help him.'

'I know,' he said, his mind, never the quickest, trying to formulate a plan.

'I'll go back for him,' Luna proposed.

Ron began to protest, but she cut him off.

'You'll have to protect me.'

'How?'

Luna lowered her head a moment - her wonderful blonde hair falling to hide her face. She brushed it aside and looked up at him, determination on her beautiful face. 'Draw them off. If you run at them, they'll focus on you. Then it will be safe for me to return and help Kingsley.'

Ron swallowed. Luna had tears in her eyes. She knew how risky this was. He knew as well. He kissed her suddenly. She melted into him. They came apart, foreheads touching, and looked into each other's eyes. A moment passed. That's all they had. They broke apart. Ron held wand and sword in hand, and then charged around the corner, screaming out a battle cry, firing spells before him blindly.

He ran and ran, jumped, ducked, fell and rolled, and then kept going. He couldn't stop. Spells came at him so fast he didn't know what to do. He had to rely on instinct to survive. How many Death Eaters awaited him? Judging from the amount of spells, it was a lot - either that or a few very talented dualists. He would never get by them like this - not firing harmless spells.

'The Killing Curse can be used, if necessary,' Ron remember Dumbledore telling them. He felt a lump in his throat. That was his only chance, and it was certainly necessary. He thought it had probably never been more necessary.

He thought of what would happen if he failed - if Harry couldn't defeat Voldemort because of him. Images of his family came to mind, enslaved by Death Eaters, tortured, raped and killed. Luna. And then Ginny - the way she looked when they brought her back, as she lay disfigured in the hospital wing.

'Aaaargh!' Ron screamed in rage. 'Avada Kedavra! Avada Kedavra! Avada Kedavra!'

It was almost like he was mad. He barely remembered how it all happened. What he did remember was the sudden pain, and then the numbness in his hand. At the time he didn't understand how it happened. He didn't know it was even possible. Looking back, he realised the truth. Just as he'd fired another Killing Curse, one of the Death Eaters curses (surely a Killing Curse as well - what else could kill his hand?) had struck, and they had collided, only inches away from Ron. The blast had caught him sparingly. He fell, his wand splitting lengthways and flying into the air. His body hit the stone floor and he cried out. The pain was intense for only a second. Then he felt nothing.

'Ugh.' He groaned, opening his eyes. He was shocked motionless. He blinked and groaned. A face appeared, no, not a face, a skull - a Death Eater skull mask. Another appeared beside the first. So it was only two very talented dualists. Ron recognised the second ones voice when he spoke.

'Well, well, well,' Severus Snape said, 'if it isn't one of the Weasley brats. Ron, isn't it?' Ron saw the wand in his hand.

'Uh…' he groaned. He knew he was going to die, so he didn't hold back his anger. 'Fuck you traitor.'

Snape pointed the wand down at him. 'Now, now, manners Weasley. I will take points from your house.' The other Death Eater laughed. 'What do you think of my wand? It used to belong to Potter. I think it suits me perfectly, don't you?'

Ron glared at him.

'What's wrong?' Snape waved his wand leisurely. 'Can't you move? You must have fell hard - maybe you broke your spine. Paralysed. Such a shame.' Ron realised that Snape thought the Killing Curse had missed him. He thought he was paralysed. Ron mulled that over. While it was true he couldn't move his left hand, he didn't feel paralysed. He was in a lot of pain, actually, just not in his left hand. He tried the right, and felt the weight of the Sword of Gryffindor. He might not have his wand, but he wasn't entirely defenceless.

'Enough gloating,' Ron said, 'just kill me and get it over with.'

Snape sighed, as if disappointed. 'Very well.' The moment Snape aimed his wand, Ron swung his right hand, and the sword attached to it. The arc cut a clean slice, right through Snape's wrist, severing the hand. His old potions Professor howled in agony. The other Death Eater stepped back in surprise, his skull mask getting splattered with blood.

Ron took advantage of his shock. He rolled to his feet and thrust the sword one handed into the belly of the other Death Eater, as hard as he could, screaming. They fell, Ron's body weight atop the sword, pushing it through with a primal scream of rage. The Death Eater was still.

Ron finally stopped screaming and came back to himself. He could hear Snape bawling like a baby behind him. He stood up and pulled the sword free. Or at least he tried to. He had to step on the Death Eater to get enough leverage to free the sword. He stepped in front of Snape, who looked up at him fearfully, clutching the stump of his right hand.

'Ron!' It was Luna. He turned just as she flung herself at him. She was crying. 'I heard you scream… I thought…' she whispered in his ear, and then kissed his face all over.

'I'm alright,' Ron said, forgetting for the moment about his left hand.

She beamed at him.

'Kingsley?' Ron asked.

'I'll live kid,' the Auror replied, stepping up behind Luna. His face had been mostly cleaned of the blood, and Ron could see the gash in the top of his head.

Dumbledore and a few battered looking survivors came next. The aged Headmaster looked at Ron, then over his shoulder to the dead wizard lying behind him, and then finally down to the cowering Severus Snape.

'Albus,' Snape cried, 'I'm so sorry. Please. Forgive me.'

Dumbledore looked at the traitors missing hand, pity in his eyes. He ignored the pleading look in Snape's eyes and waved the stump of his arm at the pathetic wizard. The stunning spell knocked the sense out of Snape and he fell unconscious. It was the only mercy he would get.

'You did well Mr. Weasley,' Dumbledore said, looking at him proudly.

Ron nodded. He still couldn't feel his left hand. He ignored that for now and looked around. When he found what he was looking for, he stooped to pry Potter's wand from Snape's severed hand. He offered the wand to Dumbledore.

'It's Potters.'

'So it is,' Dumbledore replied. He presented the stump of his right hand to Luna. 'Miss Lovegood, please, remove that wand from my arm if you will.' Luna did so. 'Snap it.' She looked at him questioningly. 'Severus won't be needing it where he is going. Snap it.' She did. 'Now, if you could fix Harry's wand in its place, that would be wonderful.' Luna did just that. Dumbledore smiled and looked at Ron once more. 'I believe we have a snake to kill. Ready?'

'Yeah, I am.'

A/N: I know. I took some more liberties with the Killing Curse. So sue me. My justification is that because the spell only clipped Ron, it wasn't enough contact to kill him, only his hand. If you can't deal with that, well, then, whatever. I do hope you all enjoyed though. Oh yeah, for the portkey readers, sorry about the change in formatting. HTML hates me, and this was easier. :)