Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter; it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: One thing. In this chapter I state that true Gryffindors can only wield the Sword of Gryffindor. To the best of my knowledge, this is a load of bull. I made it up for the purpose of this story. Dumbledore mentions something along the lines of Harry only being able to pull the sword out of the Sorting Hat because he's a true Gryffindor, or something, which is were I got the idea, but that's as far as it goes I think. Either way, let's just pretend it's true. It certainly is for my story. Thanks.

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Chapter Twenty-Two

There was no blood.

It was a terrible sight, one Harry would not soon be forgetting, but at least there was no blood. The arms just ended, shortly down Dumbledore's forearm, with two smooth stumps. It wasn't pretty, but it could have been worse. Of course, they could easily reattach them, but really, what was the point? His hands were ruined and reattaching them wouldn't change that.

Harry didn't know what was worse for Dumbledore, losing his hands, or suffering the humiliation of splinching himself. Harry likened it to getting old and no longer being in control of your own mind or body. Dumbledore was damn near a squib without his hands. At best, he would only be able to perform the most basics spells, and certainly nothing difficult like Apparition.

Voldemort had scored another victory and Harry had let it happen.

He sat in the Head's common room, staring at the plain metal box in his hands, wondering. Dumbledore was still in the Hospital Wing, recovering from the shock of splinching himself. Harry had the wand of Rowena Ravenclaw, the password to Dumbledore's office, and he could easily use the Sword of Gryffindor to destroy the Horcrux.

But he hesitated.

Harry wasn't entirely sure why.

Perhaps because he wanted Dumbledore present when he did it?

Or maybe because he wondered if he really would be able to do it.

It was probably the latter.

The Sword of Gryffindor was reputable, and it was said that only true Gryffindors could wield it. As a Slytherin, it might be a little tricky. Then again, the Sorting Hat did offer him his own choice of house. Just because he was in Slytherin didn't mean he belonged there. Maybe he would be able to wield it and destroy the Horcrux.

Hermione emerged from her private chambers, looking a little groggy, rubbing at her head as she wandered into the room. She stopped when she noticed Harry sitting before the fire. Her eyes clouded over as she remembered the events just prior to waking up in her room. Anger narrowed her eyes. She set her mouth in a firm line, pushed aside her confusion, and stormed up in front of Harry.

The bitter tirade she was about to deliver died at the look on Harry's face. She sank to the floor before him and put her hands on his knees. 'Harry?' she tried softly. 'What happened?'

'We got the Horcrux,' Harry said, offering her the box with the wand in.

Hermione took the box and peered inside, her eyes widening at its contents. 'What about Dumbledore? His hands… are they okay?'

'He lost them,' Harry said, quietly, taking the box back. 'Burnt them and then left them behind when he tried to Apparate back to Hogwarts.'

'Dumbledore splinched himself?' Hermione was appalled at the idea, shocked to her very core.

'I never should have let him,' Harry said. 'I knew he wasn't up to it without his wand in his hand.'

'You let him dig then…' Hermione didn't mean to sound so accusatory, not when Harry was obviously feeling bad about it, but that's how it sounded.

'Of course,' Harry said. 'There was no other way.'

'You could have done something,' Hermione said, trying to think of just what they could have done.

'Like what?'

'Used a shovel,' Hermione tried, knowing it was stupid even as she said it.

Harry laughed bitterly. 'A shovel? Don't be stupid Hermione. It doesn't suit you. Voldemort enchanted the soil to protect the Horcrux. It was designed so that only a person digging with his hands would have got through. It was the same with the locket. Nothing else worked. We tried to drain the basin with magic, but it failed. You had to drink the potion to get the locket, and thus incapacitate yourself. Same with the wand. By the time you reached it, your hands would be all but useless, and you wouldn't even be able to pick it up. We only succeeded because we went as a unit.'

'Dumbledore didn't have to dig with both hands,' Hermione pointed out. 'He could have used one and still retained his wand hand.'

'Wouldn't have worked either,' Harry said. 'It was strong magic Hermione. His hand wouldn't have survived long enough to reach the wand. It would have been obliterated. No, even with two hands he barely reached it in time. We got lucky, actually.'

'You call this lucky? Dumbledore has been crippled,' Hermione argued.

Harry remained silent. He just didn't know how to respond to that. She was right, in a way. But at the same time, Dumbledore could have suffered more pain if he hadn't found the wand so quickly. Splinching himself was almost a mercy, at least he cauterised the wound nicely. Of course, Harry wasn't considering the mental pain Dumbledore was no doubt suffering.

The silence that descended between the couple was anything but comfortable. Hermione sat back on her bottom and wrapped her arms around her knees, laying her head down across her arms. She finally broke the silence, 'Why didn't you tell me you were that connected to Voldemort?'

'It scares you? Freaks you out?' Harry asked.

'Of course it does,' Hermione said. 'You feel what he feels. Does that mean he feels what you feel?'

'Probably,' Harry admitted. 'Sometimes.'

'…when we make love?' Hermione asked.

Harry turned his head away from her, unable to answer - unable to lie.

Hermione squeezed her eyes shut and tried to fight away tears. 'I deserved to know that,' she said. 'To know that my most intimate moments were being shared with someone other than you. And Voldemort no less.'

'He might not have,' Harry said. 'He… we both try and block each other out. It's not always successful, but most times we can. Why do you think I learnt Occlumency? For all I know, he hasn't ever… I'm sure he wouldn't want too. It'd be torture for him. Love like… ours…'

'But you can't be sure,' Hermione said.

'No.' Harry squeezed the box in his hands. 'Are we okay?'

'I don't know,' Hermione said. 'I'll need some time.'

Harry sighed. 'Fine,' he said, getting up. 'I'll leave you to it.'

'Where are you going?' Hermione asked, trying to hide her hurt at his sudden dismissal of her.

'To destroy the Horcrux.'

The wand of Rowena Ravenclaw lay on the table beside the Sword of Gryffindor. Harry sat before them, staring at the objects, contemplating the task at hand. Fawkes the Phoenix watched him from his perch.

'What are you looking at?' Harry demanded, glaring at the flamboyant bird.

Fawkes glared back.

Harry sighed and stood up, pacing before Dumbledores desk. He was afraid, and it wasn't something he was used too. The sword wouldn't hurt him if he tried to touch it and was found unworthy, so it wasn't physical pain he feared. It was rejection. At heart, he had always believed himself a Gryffindor. He chose to be a member of Slytherin to get to know his enemy, but how much had that decision changed him. Was he more Slytherin than Gryffindor now?

Probably.

'What do you think Fawkes?' Harry asked the phoenix, and then snorted at himself. Talking to a bird. Wonderful.

He reached out his hand, hovering it over the sword. His hand trembled.

'Come on Potter,' he said out loud, encouraging himself, 'pick it up. Pick. It. Up.'

Fawkes ruffled his feathers and hopped about on his perch. Harry shot the bird another dark look. Fawkes looked back, almost mocking him with his bird's eyes. Harry growled.

'Fine,' he said between ground teeth. 'Mock me all you want birdie. I'll prove you wrong. I'm not afraid.'

Fawkes ruffled his feathers again, hopped about.

Harry grasped the handle of the blade. Nothing happened. He lifted it. Still nothing. A faint smile appeared on his face.

'Okay,' Harry said, setting his sights on the prone wand, 'hard parts over. Ready Fawkes?'

Ruffle. Hop.

'Here we go,' Harry said, and swung the blade.

It happened so fast. The wand was rent in two, unleashing a dark green force from the center of the break. Harry was flung backwards onto his back, the Sword of Gryffindor flung across the room to impale itself into the wall just beside Fawkes. The jet of dark green energy surged into the air, curved, and aimed for Harry. Harry held up his hands, as if he could ward it off that way. White light burst from between his fingers, creating a shield against the energy. They merged, and cancelled each other out.

Harry lay panting on the floor, gasping for breath, sweat marring his brow.

Finally, he got control of himself, and sat up. He looked over at Fawkes, who returned his look darkly, glancing between Harry and the blade that had almost impaled him.

Harry laughed, a little insanely. 'Sorry Fawkes,' he said, getting to his feet. He approached the desk and the now broken wand - the destroyed Horcrux. It was just two bits of splintered wood now, core poking out unevenly. Harry picked them up and studied them for a moment, before placing them back in the box. Then he removed the sword from the wall and positioned it back in its proper place.

'Could have been worse, huh Fawkes?'

Ruffle. Hop.

A set of snakelike eyes open in surprise and alarm. White teeth show in a snarl of pure hatred.

Harry was halfway down the seventh floor hallway when the overwhelming rage of Voldemort brought him to his knees. Eyes wide and panting, Harry tried to fight of the mental and emotional onslaught. His lips drew back in a snarl of hatred, matching Voldemort's own, thought whether it was his own will or not, he didn't know. He couldn't think straight. Voldemort was overpowering him. He cried out.

Then fainted.

'He knows,' Harry said.

He was lying in the hospital wing. Draco and Ginny sat by his bed, while Hermione hovered near his feet. She made a harsh tutting noise at this piece of information, gave Harry a quick angry look, and then left the room. Draco and Ginny exchanged puzzled glances.

'What was that about?' Ginny asked.

'It's private,' Harry replied sharply.

Ginny went to open her mouth again, but Draco shook his head. She let it go.

'So, what does this mean?' Ginny asked instead.

'It means thins have got considerably harder,' Harry said. 'Voldemort will be protecting his remaining Horcruxes like never before.'

'We never seem to get a break, do we?' Draco said, derisively.

'It's not been the best two days of my life,' Harry admitted, glancing over at the drawn curtains that hid Dumbledore from view.

Ginny followed his gaze. 'Will he be okay?'

'He'll live,' Harry said. 'But that's about all he'll do.' Harry chuckled darkly. 'I'm on my own now. No more Dumbledore to protect me.'

'Like you ever needed it,' Draco argued.

'Believe me,' Harry said, 'I hate to admit it, but I did. We wouldn't have survived last year if Dumbledore hadn't come to the rescue. I wasn't ready then. I'm not ready now.'

'You still have us,' Ginny said. 'We'll fight by your side all the way. Hermione and Ron too.'

'I know you will,' Harry said.

'Err,' a nervous voice broke into the moment.

Neville cleared his throat. 'Sorry,' he said, 'I just… wanted to see if you were alright… Harry.'

'I'm fine Neville,' Harry said. 'Thanks for your concern.'

'Yeah,' Neville replied, 'no problem.'

'Let's get out of here Draco,' Ginny said, getting up and taking her boyfriends hand pointedly. She refused to look at Neville. Draco couldn't help the smirk that came to his face as Ginny dragged him past the humbled boy.

'Later Harry,' Draco called cheerily.

Neville sighed and took a seat. 'She hates me now,' he said morosely.

'Suck it up,' Harry said. 'You're going to have to fight for her if you want her. Feeling sorry for yourself certainly won't work.'

'Yeah,' Neville said, 'I know. It's just… I don't know what happened. I've never hit anyone before. I just lost it. He drives me insane. What does she see in him? He's a prat.'

Harry laughed. 'That he is,' he agreed.

'Why are you even friends with him?'

'It's complicated' Harry said.

'Isn't everything?'

'What's going on with Harry and Hermione?' Ginny asked as she and Draco entered the Head Boys bedchambers.

'No idea,' Draco admitted, shutting the door behind them. 'I'm just glad it's someone else who's having problems, and not us.'

'Draco, that's cruel,' Ginny admonished, turning to face him.

He gave her a teasing smirk and she hit him on the arm with a smile. 'Prat,' she accused.

'Isn't that why you love me?' he teased, still smirking.

Ginny faced the wall and laughed. 'I don't know why I love you,' she admitted.

Draco put his hands on his shoulders. 'To be honest, as long as you do, I don't give a crap why,' he said.

'Well,' Ginny turned into his arms, 'I do.'

'I do, as well,' Draco said, a bit stiffly.

Ginny giggled. 'Try that again sometime. Maybe in front of a mirror.'

'Hey,' Draco pouted, 'I'm trying here.'

'I know,' Ginny said, standing on tiptoes to kiss him.

'It's hard for me,' Draco said. 'Harry says we're emotionally stunted, or whatever. It's like; stuff that comes normally to other people… doesn't to us. We didn't grow up in loving environments, so… you know.'

'I get it,' Ginny said. 'It's hard for you to say it.'

'Sorry,' Draco mumbled.

'Don't worry about it,' Ginny said, 'I know just who I'm with here. I don't expect grandiose confirmations of love. Frankly, I think I'd be sick. A rose or two, maybe, but…'

Draco held up a rose before her, and she laughed delightedly. He grinned, a little embarrassed. Ginny took it and looked at him over its soft petals.

'If you can't say it,' Ginny said, 'then why don't you show me?' She raised her eyebrows meaningfully.

Draco's embarrassed smile turned into a smirk. 'That, I can do,' he said.

With a flick of his wand, the light in the bedchamber went out.

Ron followed Luna as she led him into the Forbidden Forest.

'Where are we going exactly?' he asked, as she easily managed her way trough the maze of trees. Ron struggled to keep up, tripping over camouflaged tree trunks and almost walking into low hanging branches on several occasions.

'It's a surprise,' Luna called back to him from the thicket. Her voice lured him on, as he could no longer see her.

'Isn't this place forbidden for a reason,' Ron mentioned in attempted nonchalance, looking about nervously.

'We'll be okay if we don't go too far in,' Luna said.

He rounded a particularly thick tree to find Luna kneeling by a stream of water, her bare feet against the wet pebbles. He slowly approached, looking down over her shoulder. A flower was growing from between the pebbles, purple petals sprouting from a thick yellowish center. Some strange kind of sap oozed down the petals.

'What is that?' Ron asked.

'It's a special flower,' Luna said in her singsong voice. 'Very rare. It can only grow in certain situations. By water,' she indicted the small stream, 'but in relative darkness,' she glanced up at the thick branches above, 'and only in places strong with magical energy. Like this Forest.'

'Why?'

'I don't know everything, you know,' Luna said, turning her head to give him a cheeky smile.

He grinned in response. 'Sorry.'

'I call it the Cupidi Flower,' she informed him, turning her attention back to the beautiful, magical phenomenon.

'You call it? Doesn't it have a name?' Ron knelt down beside her to get a better look.

'Most people don't believe in it,' Luna said. 'It has many names, but they're given in ignorance of its true beauty, and do not do it justice.'

'So you named it?'

'Yes,' Luna said, catching a drop of the sap on her finger. She held it up.

'What's that stuff?'

'A special secretion only this flower can create,' Luna said. 'Very potent. If a potion maker got his hands on this sap, he could create a true love spell, not like all those pale imitations out there.'

'A true love spell?' Ron stared at the sap in surprise and a little fear. 'You mean that stuff can make you fall in love with someone?'

'Even a tiny amount,' Luna said. 'If it fell on your skin, or you ingested it, then you would fall in love with the first person you saw. I believe the Muggles have a name for it. Cupid.'

'Is that why you call it Cupidi?'

Luna smiled sweetly, and said, teasingly, 'Not as dumb as you look, are you?'

'Hey!' Ron protested, but he couldn't help but smile.

Luna returned the look.

Ron frowned suddenly. 'Wait, if that stuff makes you fall in love with someone when it gets on your skin,' he said, looking pointedly at the tiny amount of sap on Luna's fingertip.

Luna laughed lightly. 'Don't worry,' she said, 'I'm immune to it. A person can only love one.'

'Oh,' Ron said, then his eyes widened. 'Oh…'

Luna giggled. 'Relax,' she said. 'Just watch.'

Ron took a deep breath. 'Okay,' he said, and then sat back to watch… whatever he was supposed to be watching.

After a few minutes of this, Ron couldn't wait any longer, and asked, 'What am I supposed to be watching?'

'Quiet,' Luna said. 'You'll see.'

Ron went back to watching. Finally, he caught sight of something, shinning its way between the trees on the other side of the stream. It was tiny, barely a light, like a distant star, but moving towards them. The light reached them, hovered jerkily around Luna's finger, and then landed on the sap. Ron stared in wonder at the tiny being on Luna's fingertip. It looked like it was made entirely of light, except for its faint wings and tiny little stinger on its bottom. He had to lean in close to get a better look, and what he saw astounded him. It was sucking up the sap!

'What's it doing? What is it?'

'Like the flower, it has no name,' Luna said. 'The two work in unison - symbiotic life forms that cannot exist without the other. That's why I call it the Cupidi Bug. This little guy is the reason behind the Muggle Cupid legend. At one time, when magic was a much bigger force in the world, their existence was widely believed in, as they thrived on the magical energy prominent in the world. Thousand of these flowers and these bugs roamed the world. Now, only a few remain. I believe the Muggles learnt of these beings from a wizard and that was how their Cupid legend was born.'

'So if this thing stings me, I'll…'

'Fall in love with the first person you see,' Luna finished for him. 'Provided you aren't already in love.'

Ron nodded. 'Well, erm, maybe we should go then,' he said, nervously.

Luna gently lowered her finger onto the flower, and the little bug flew easily into the center of the flower, to devour more of the sap. She stood up. 'I suppose we must,' she said, and began to lead the way back.

Ron frowned at her back, then quickly got up to follow her. 'Luna, wait a second,' he called, grabbing her hand. She refused to look at him. 'Hey, I'm sorry, that was… insensitive of me, or something. I didn't mean… you know how much I enjoy spending time with you.'

'But you don't love me,' she said, trying to hide her tears from his face. She hated crying. She hated that only he could make her cry.

'I don't know,' Ron admitted. 'Maybe I do. But I don't want to risk that thing stinging me. Then I'd have no choice but to love you right? You'd be the first person I'd see. Do you want me to love you like that?'

'No,' Luna said. 'That's why we should go.'

'You're not mad at me, are you?' Ron asked. 'I didn't mean that I don't love you… just that I'm… not sure.'

Luna wiped at her tears. 'I'm not mad,' she said. 'Just feeling stupid.'

'Hey,' Ron finally turned her to face him. 'Believe me, you are definitely not stupid.'

'You like smart girls?'

'I do,' Ron said. 'Very much. If a girl isn't smarter than me, I'm not interested.'

'Hmm? You must like a lot of girls then,' Luna teased, a beautiful smile breaking out on her tear stained face.

'Haha,' Ron said, grinning from ear to ear. 'Come 'ere you little comedian.'