Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter; it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: I was going to try and get this out last night, but boy was I tired. Sorry, but here it, all nice and shiny. Loved writing this chapter. This is the kind of stuff I love, especially with the return of an old favourite of mine. A guy I really love to hate. Hope you all enjoy it as well. Not as long as my usual chapters, mainly because I want to tease you guys with a cliffhanger. Heehee, I'm so evil, but I do promise I won't make you wait too long for the next chapter. Sorry for any typos and stuff, I don't have a beta reader or anything, so I slip up and miss things sometimes.

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Chapter Twenty-Three

It was only a week away from the Christmas holidays when Professor McGonagall, acting head in Dumbledore's hospitalised absence, called Harry into her office.

He sat across from her, studying her features. She seemed troubled, more than he had ever seen her; weary from all the turmoil that surrounded the wizarding world. He cleared this throat, breaking the tense silence that filled the room. 'What's this all about Professor?'

She let out a tired sigh. 'I'm sorry, Potter. In the current state Albus is in, he is unfit to be Headmaster of Hogwarts. We all hope he will recover his will soon, but until that happens we are all on our own. He has done so much to protect you, from everyone, and now…. I'm sorry, Potter.'

Harry sat up a little straighter, confused about where this all was leading. 'What are you getting at Professor?'

'Potter,' McGonagall said, 'the Minister for Magic and a team of Aurors will be arriving shortly to escort you to the Ministry for questioning.'

'Questioning,' Harry repeated. A grimace twisted his face, followed by an amused, but angry chuckle. 'Figures. So now that Dumbledore is absent, Rufus is going to get his licks in, is he? Won't this be peachy.'

'I have tried to delay it, P… Harry, but I do not have the influence that Albus has,' McGonagall admitted, her guilt showing through her normally stoic countenance.

'Don't worry about it, Professor,' Harry said, getting up. 'I appreciate the effort. I'm assuming this isn't going to be a private matter? Harry Potter hauled off to the Ministry for questioning headlines the Daily Prophet, along with a classic shot of me being led shamefaced through the halls of Hogwarts, right?'

'Harry, please, do not make things worse,' McGonagall pleaded. 'The Minister has assured me this will all go smoothly if you co-operate.'

'I bet,' Harry said sarcastically. 'When exactly?'

'Any minute now,' McGonagall said.

'Brilliant.'

Indeed, just as Harry predicated, the front page of the Daily Prophet was graced with a moving photograph, showing Harry being led out of Hogwarts surrounded by a group of armed Aurors and the Minister himself. Students gaped at the sight, while Slytherins in the background laughed and taunted him.

The headline read:

THE BOY-WHO-LIVED APPREHENDED FOR HOGWARTS ATTACKS

What the newspaper neglected to mention was that, shortly after arriving at the Ministry, Harry Potter disappeared.

'Miss Granger, Mister Malfoy,' Professor McGonagall said, once more seated behind her desk and looking bone wrenchingly weary, 'I'm afraid I have some bad news.'

'Bad news?' Draco repeated the question.

'What is this about Professor?' Hermione asked, frowning.

'You know how Potter was escorted to the Ministry for questioning, I presume,' McGonagall said.

'How could we not?' Draco said. 'Its all the damn school is talking about. And completely insane, by the way.'

'I did warn him about angering the Minister,' Hermione said, in an aside to Draco, 'but would he listen to me? Oh no, not the great, invincible Harry Potter.'

'Shut up, Hermione,' Draco snapped. 'Whatever he did to piss you off, get over it. Is it really worth it? Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.'

Hermione opened her mouth to respond, but Professor McGonagall spoke before her.

'That's enough,' she said. 'I didn't bring you two here to argue. I have some very bad news to impart, and the last thing I need is you two sniping at each other while I'm trying to do it. Will you be quiet?'

Draco pinched his lips shut.

'Sorry Professor,' Hermione apologised.

'Thank you,' Professor McGonagall said. 'Now…' she sighed, 'I really don't know how to say this. I'm very sorry, but Harry… Potter has… he has been taken.'

'Taken?' Draco asked, confused.

Hermione went silent and still. Her heart thumped nervously.

'By You-Know-Who, we think,' McGonagall finished.

Hermione felt her heart in her throat. No, it couldn't be…

'Are you joking?' Draco asked, getting up out of his seat and glaring down at the acting Headmistress of Hogwarts. 'Come on, that's insane, Harry would never let himself be caught!'

'I'm afraid I am not lying, Mister Malfoy,' McGonagall repeated bleakly.

'How?' Hermione croaked, tears in her eyes.

'We think he was apprehended by a spy in the Ministry,' Professor McGonagall explained. 'He was left alone in an interrogation room, with Auror guards outside. They were found unconscious. Harry was gone.'

'You don't know for sure…?' Hermione managed, fighting back her tears and heartbreak. 'I mean, he could have… they… you don't know…'

'We are quite sure,' McGonagall said.

'Fuck!' Draco roared, kicking over his chair. He rounded on McGonagall. 'And what are you doing about it, exactly? Sitting here on your ass while Harry is out there, getting tortured, or worse, killed!'

'Mister Malfoy, I assure you - '

'Assure my ass,' Draco yelled. 'Mobilise the Order! Get them searching! Scan the damn room he was taken from! Do something!'

As Draco ranted, Hermione sank down in her chair, sobs wracking her body now. He was gone, and the last they had spoke to each other, she had scorned him. And for what? Keeping some potentially disturbing news from her? Trying to protect her from an aspect of his life he found shameful?

'Calm yourself, Mister Malfoy!'

Draco stopped, as if frozen, and turned to face the doorway in surprise. McGonagall followed suite. Hermione was too wrapped up in her own guilt to realise the significance of the voice.

'Albus?'

Dumbledore strode into the room powerfully, somehow carrying his old aura, despite his missing hands. He wore a long sleeved robe to hide his disfigurement.

'I assure you, Mister Malfoy, Miss Granger, we will find Harry.'

Draco stared at the aged wizard doubtfully. 'How? You can't even use magic!'

'I beg to differ,' Dumbledore said, raising his right arm into the air so that his sleeve fell down, revealing his wand, strapped tightly to his forearm arm. 'I will go to the Ministry and scan the interrogation room. The Order will use all of their contacts to search for Harry. No stone will be left unturned.'

Dumbledore sank to his knees in front of Hermione, getting her attention. She stared at him through watery eyes.

'I promise you. I will bring back Harry Potter.'

Harry heard voices talking out in the hall.

He was locked in a small stone dungeon, chained magically to the wall, stripped of all clothing. It was freezing, his body was covered in goose bumps, and his toes barely reached the wet cold floor. There was no light in the room except for the one that seeped through the bars on his cell door. It was classic prisoner treatment - meant to break down his sense of self, his humanity and dignity.

The last thing he remembered before waking up here, he was at the Ministry for Magic. He was escorted into an interrogation room and left alone, with Auror guards outside the door. Like he would try and run. Then… was there a flash of red light from somewhere? He couldn't remember specifically. That was all he could recall.

The voices continued outside his cell. He recognised three of them, but not the fourth.

'We should dispose of him, right away, before he works his tricks and escapes. Do not forget woman, I know this boy. He is more powerful than you think.' This was the first, Harry's old Professor - Severus Snape.

'You assume too much Severus,' the second said. 'The Dark Lord will want the boy himself. We must wait.' Bellatrix Lestrange.

'So we can't kill him,' the third one said. 'Can we at least torture him a bit? Come on, old woman; let me have just half an hour with him. I promise I won't kill him. Please.' Blaise Zabini drew out the please irritatingly.

A harsh slap sounded. 'Mind you tongue boy,' Bellatrix snapped.

'Just let the whelp at him,' the fourth, unknown voice said, 'it'll be less trouble that way. We have things to discuss anyway.'

'Fine,' Bellatrix growled. 'But call me old woman again and I'll curse your balls off.'

Blaise laughed his mad laugh. 'Can I have it?' he pleaded. 'I want to do it.'

'It isn't your right,' Bellatrix said.

'Oh, come on, does it really matter who does it?'

'It isn't your right,' Bellatrix repeated sharply. 'It belongs to the Dark Lord.'

'Fine,' Blaise sulked, 'but it would be so cool to make him watch.'

'Let's go,' Snape said. 'Remember. Don't kill him, Zabini.'

'I know, I know,' Blaise said. 'Jeez, you'd think I was an idiot or something.'

'We don't just think it,' the fourth voice said.

Three sets of footsteps retreated down the hall. Blaise must have watched them go, because it took a while before the lock jiggled, and then opened. Blaise Zabini stood in the doorway, framed by light, wearing dark wizard robes, but minus his Death Eater mask. He carried his wand in his hand. A nasty smirk graced his sharp features.

'Ah, if it isn't Harry Potter,' Blaise said, casting his eyes over Harry's exposed body, 'oh how the mighty have fallen. How are you, old friend?'

'A little nippy,' Harry said, with feigned nonchalance.

Blaise laughed loudly. 'Damn, I have missed you. It's a shame you're my enemy, you know. I always liked you more than Draco.'

'Sure you did,' Harry said.

Blaise walked calmly into the room. 'Old Bella wouldn't let me snap your wand, you know. Apparently, it isn't my right.'

Harry tensed slightly. 'So I heard,' he said, again feigning indifference. So they had his wand. Damn!

'She's pretty hot, isn't she? For an old gal'.'

Harry smirked. 'Not my type. I like 'em sane.'

Blaise laughed again. 'See, this is why I miss you. Your damn sense of humour, it always did tickle my funny bone.'

'How sweet,' Harry replied. 'But you're not my type either. Sorry.'

Blaise smiled widely. 'I meant to ask,' he said, 'how is Draco? Still with the blood traitor tramp? Or has she dumped him yet?'

Harry didn't say anything.

Blaise continued. 'You know, he should really thank me. Without our bet, he never would have fallen for the little bint. When you think about it, I'm responsible for their sweet little relationship. Tell him I'm waiting for my thank you owl. Oh, wait, I forgot. You won't be seeing him again, will you? Never mind, I'll tell him myself before I kill him.'

'You think you can kill him?' Harry said, with a mocking laugh. 'You're pathetic Blaise. You couldn't kill a fly.'

'I won't just kill him,' Blaise said, getting in Harry's face. 'I'll kill his little bitch as well. And after that, I'll kill your Mudblood whore, but that'll be after I have my way with her. If you know what I mean.' Blaise finished with a sick leer.

Harry felt his magic bubble inside him, but he kept it down for now. 'You really shouldn't provoke me,' he said, quite calmly.

Blaise laughed. 'Why? Tough guy, are you? Let's see how tough you really are. I wonder, how many times will I have to use the Cruciatus Curse on you before you beg for mercy?'

'Let's find out,' Harry said, getting ready for the pain.

Blaise raised his wand. 'You know you're not fooling me,' he said, jabbing the wand at Harry. 'Crucio!'

Harry ground his teeth together to keep his cry of agony inside as his body jerked against his magical bonds. Blaise kept it up for thirty seconds, and then released the curse. Harry let his body sag as he panted for breath. Sweet ran down his nose to drip on the floor.

'Ooh,' Blaise said in a high falsetto, 'that was sweet, but not quite what I had in mind. Did you know, though, that the Cruciatus Curse could be used in so many inventive ways? I didn't. Not until I became a Death Eater. For example.' Blaise pointed his wand between Harry's eyes. 'Crucio men mentis!'

Pain exploded inside Harry's mind, but nowhere else. It felt like his brain was boiling. His eyes rolled back into his head, seeing horrible visions flash before his mind, over and over and over again, as the searing pain continued. Finally, Blaise released the curse, and Harry gasped for air, the pain receding slowly. He turned his bloodshot eyes up at Blaise.

Blaise giggled wickedly. 'Hurts, doesn't it? Do that to someone enough, it'll drive them insane.'

Harry glared.

'Didn't like that?' Blaise taunted. 'Too bad, I don't think you'll like this any better, but it's my favourite. And look,' he said, pointing his wand between Harry's legs, 'they're all nice and exposed for me. Crucio virtus!'

Harry screamed in agony. He couldn't help it. Never before in his life had he ever experienced anything like it. His genitals felt like they would explode if Blaise kept it up just one moment longer. Focusing the Cruciatus Curse in one place seemed to multiply its strength to the point of insanity.

Blaise laughed gleefully as he tortured Harry.

When the curse was lifted, Harry sagged once again, this time with a long string of drool hanging from his mouth. He felt like vomiting, but only an extreme act of will kept him from degrading himself so. Instead, he turned hateful eyes back up Blaise. He forced a smirk to his features. 'You done?' he slurred.

Blaise smirked in return. 'Play tough all you want,' he said. 'I could do this all day.'

'And here… I thought you only… had half an hour,' Harry said.

'You wish,' he said. 'You know, I wonder how long it would take before I made you infertile? Maybe I already have? But just to be sure, I think we'll have another few rounds, don't you?'

Harry tensed again, but the pain didn't come.

'Zabini,' the voice of Severus Snape interrupted. 'The Dark Lord will be arriving soon. Go and get ready to greet him.'

'But,' Blaise protested.

'Go!' Snape snapped.

Blaise sulked out of the room, calling back over his shoulder, 'It isn't over yet Harry. I'll be back.'

Alone, Harry and Snape stared at each other.

'I'd kill you right now Potter,' Snape finally said, 'if it wasn't for that damn prophecy.'

'You came here to tell me that?'

'I came here to tell you that the Dark Lord will be here soon,' Snape replied, 'and when he gets here, you will die. Nothing can save you. We know that Dumbledore has crippled himself. The Order has no idea where we are, so a rescue attempt is not going to happen. And without your wand, you're completely powerless.'

'Then why are you so scared of me?' Harry asked, grinning at Snape.

Snape sneered. 'I do not fear you Potter.'

'You should,' Harry said.

'And why should I?' Snape asked, still with that sneer in place.

'Because I don't need my wand to use magic,' Harry said, grinning wider now.

Snape started to laugh mockingly, but when Harry laughed with him, it gradually subsided into a nervous, apprehensive look. 'Why are you laughing?'

'Because I'm not joking,' Harry said.

Snape took a step back, trying to look unafraid, and failing. 'What are you doing?'

Harry grinned even wider, making him look quite mad. 'I'm losing control,' he said, quite simply.

Snape took another step back.

Harry let go.

And released his siphon.