Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter; it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: I'M BACK! YAY! The Internet is mine again! Oh the wondrous all consuming joy of the Internet, how I missed thee. Aaaanyway…this turned out to be a rather depressing chapter. Sorry! Hope you guys enjoy it despite this fact, or perhaps because of it, for those angst lovers out there. I'm back! Yipeee!

Harry Potter and the Year of DiscordChapter Seventeen

Another weekend arrived for the students of Hogwarts, the weather mirroring the atmosphere that had fallen over the school - cold and bleak. With the publication of the Death Eater attacks inside Hogwarts, many children had already been pulled from school, and those that remained feared to walk the corridors alone. The board of governors had already met to discuss the fate of Hogwarts and only Dumbledore's appearance had saved it from being closed.

On the outside, things were just as grim. Voldemort and his supporters continued to saw discord and terror into the hearts of the wizarding community with attacks on some of the most powerful and influential families. Not to mention several disappearances, with nothing left in their wake except buildings in ruins and only the Dark Mark to tell the story.

As Harry, Hermione, Draco, Ginny and Neville sat down for breakfast on Saturday morning, none of them were surprised by the headline of the Dailey Prophet:

MASS BREAKOUT AT AZKABAN

'It was only a matter of time,' Harry said, putting the paper down. 'Anyone with half a brain could tell you that when it comes to allegiances, it's a no-brainer that the Dementors would choose Voldemort. I said as much to Dumbledore when Snape and Zabini ended up there.'

'Why didn't he pull some strings, have them moved someplace else?' Ginny asked, nervously glancing at the black and white photograph of a smirking Blaise Zabini. She vividly remembered his slanting eyes locking with hers, conveying hatred and a smug and sick delight in her torment. She could practically hear his sardonic laughter in her ears.

'Where would he have moved them?' Harry replied. 'Azkaban is the most effective prison the wizarding world has. If it failed to hold them, no place else would have stood a chance. Fact is Dumbledore had no choice. We both knew it was only a matter of time until this happened. I only hoped it would hold out longer.'

'I won't let him get near you.' Draco spoke before anything else could be said.

Ginny looked up at him and smiled. 'I know.'

'Are you okay Neville?' Hermione asked, her face a blanket of worry.

Harry glanced over at the silent boy. He was clutching his copy of the Prophet with a firm, white knuckled grip, and his features reflected a loathing of a thousand souls.

'Who is that?' Ginny said as she leant closer and peered at the paper. 'Bellatrix Lestrange? She sure looks pleasant. Do you know her?'

Harry didn't need to be told anymore. He knew all about how the Lestrange's had tortured Neville's parents into insanity.

'We've never met.' Neville spoke in barely a whisper.

'She…'

'Why don't you hand me that paper before you tear it to shreds?' Harry interrupted Draco. 'Be a waste for you to wreck it before you can read any of the other interesting articles.'

'Yeah,' Neville said, completely missing Harry's thinly veiled sarcasm, his gaze never leaving the page. 'Whatever. I'm not hungry, anyway.' Then he slowly handed over the paper and stood up to leave. 'I'll see you in class.'

'What was that about?' Draco asked, raised eyebrow and all.

'I don't think it'd be pleasant if Neville knew of your relation to Lestrange,' Harry explained. 'Especially not at this time.'

'Why?' Hermione and Ginny asked at the same time.

'That's Neville's business,' Harry said. 'If he wants you to know, he'll tell you. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone.'

While Harry and Hermione settled down in Slytherin's Chamber, Draco and Ginny met for another study session in the Head's common room. Draco couldn't have been more pleased with how things were going (well, maybe he could, but he wasn't a miracle worker) with himself and Ginny. Their relationship was seemingly back on track and ready to take flight again. He was almost thankful towards his former friend, the now Death Eater Blaise Zabini, for escaping Azkaban and giving him a reason to show just how dedicated he was to her. Almost.

Ginny had smiled at his declaration. She had even squeezed his hand under the table. Marvel at that for a moment people.

The tutoring was going brilliantly as well. She was a quick study, his Ginny. The ease with which they eased into their respective roles, the way she beamed at him when she finally began to pick things up, even her mere presence was enough to brighten his mood. He was very much aware that he had been more than moody lately, but it was all a thing of the past now. He knew, with a great certainty, that his relationship with the fiery haired Weasley was saved. And that's what almost cost him.

As this particular session was coming to close and they left behind Potions, Ginny brought up the topic that had headlined the mornings Daily Prophet.

'Are you nervous?' Ginny asked, very out of the blue. 'I mean… about the breakout.'

'Are you?'

'I'd be lying if I said no,' Ginny admitted. 'It's strange. You'd think I would be more afraid of You-Know-Who - don't get me wrong, I am - but whenever I think about what's to come, I always see his face. And I hear his laugh.'

'Blaise?'

'I suppose it's because of what happened,' Ginny went on. 'He was the one who dragged me up into the spotlight. You-Know-Who probably wouldn't have even noticed me if he tripped over me. The only interest he had in me was through your reaction, I think. But Blaise took so much delight in it, tormenting you and me; he somehow became scarier than even You-Know-Who. Does that make sense?'

'Yeah,' Draco said. 'Voldemort is a terrifying figure for so many, but he's just that. A figure. Most people can't really relate to him. Blaise, however, he was a student, just like you. It's no surprise he seems more real, and thus scarier.'

'I know I won't get to sleep tonight,' Ginny confessed. 'Just the thought of him out there. It terrifies me.'

'Like I said, I won't let him near you,' Draco repeated, reaching out and this time taking her hand. She squeezed it in return.

'Thank you.'

It was the sincerity that did it - what pushed Draco over the edge. Before he even knew what he was doing, he was leaning forward, going in for the kiss. Just before their lips would touch, Ginny shied away. He ended up kissing her jaw.

The silence that fell was deafening. I know it's a cliché, but really, if ever that statement was true, it was right at that very moment.

'Sorry,' Draco said softly, his head lowered.

'No,' Ginny said, 'it…' With a sigh, she began to pack up her things. 'I think I better go. Thank you for… helping me. I…' Another sigh. 'Night.'

Draco didn't even try to stop her.

Ginny fled. Not from Draco, but from the situation. There was no getting around it. She realised - with a certain amount of shame - that Draco was probably right now beating himself up over his action, but as already stated; it wasn't Draco she was running from. She just wasn't ready yet. Not for that.

However, instead of explaining this, she ran. So like her. She couldn't just reaffirm the situation. No, she had to run away, leaving Draco to think he had done something wrong, when he hadn't. Not really. He was a red-blooded male, after all, and she was - perhaps not consciously, but on looking back on things, maybe a little - sending him signals. Except when things like that happened, Ginny had a tendency to shut down, her brain ceasing to function with a suddenness that was shocking.

All she could do was flee.

And as fate would have it, right into Neville Longbottom.

'Ginny?' Neville asked as she entered the Gryffindor common room. 'Are you okay? You look all flustered.'

'I'm fine,' Ginny replied quickly. Her mind was already beginning to re-engage. 'Just… realised I had some extra homework to do. For tomorrow.'

'Tomorrow is Sunday,' Neville pointed out with a quizzical look.

'Right,' Ginny said, 'I know.'

'Then,' Neville began.

'I meant I wanted to get it done before tomorrow.'

'Oh.' Neville rubbed the back of his neck nervously. 'Hey, weren't you studying with Malfoy tonight?'

'No,' Ginny replied, possibly a little too forcefully. 'Look, I really better get going. Homework to do.'

'Yeah,' Neville said softly, putting two and two together. 'Okay.'

Ginny was already halfway up to the girl's dormitory, and thus didn't see the dawning look of realisation on Neville's face.

In what was becoming an all too common occurrence, Hermione rolled over to find an empty space beside her. Sitting up, she glanced around the bedchamber. Harry was nowhere to be found. Slipping on her bunny slippers, she made her way out into the main chamber. Taking a new twist, that was empty also. Worry began to set in.

'Harry?' Hermione called.

No answer.

Harry was out patrolling the cold Hogwarts corridors, safely hidden under his Invisibility Cloak.

The way he saw it, someone had to do it. So every night since the last attack, he had reluctantly left Hermione in bed and ventured forth under cover of cloak to protect the halls of Hogwarts. So far he'd had no luck, but at least no one else had been attacked.

He normally got back to Slytherin's Chamber before Hermione awoke to discover his night excursions. She would find him sitting alone in the main chamber and believed he was just suffering from insomnia, brought on by the stress of recent weeks. He didn't like lying to her, but telling the truth could lead to more problems. She would no doubt want to help, but that meant putting her in danger, and Harry just couldn't allow that.

It wasn't that he felt she couldn't handle herself. It was just, if anything happened to her… well, he didn't like to think about that. To be honest, he didn't know what he would do. That was part of the problem. He might loose control, and with his "problem", that could be dangerous. Not just to himself, but to the entire school as well.

He was just passing by the kitchens when he spotted a figure up ahead, slinking along the walls and hiding behind the various statues as he went. The figure was wearing long black robes with the hood pulled up over his head - Death Eater. Pulling out his wand, he silently eased himself closer and closer to the figure until he was sure he was close enough. Then he whipped off the cloak and grabbed the figure by the shoulder. He slammed him up against the wall and jabbed his wand under the Death Eaters jaw.

'Ow!' The Death Eater exclaimed.

'Who are you?' Harry growled.

'What? Potter?'

Harry frowned, finally recognising the voice. He ripped the hood down, but kept his wand firmly in place.

'Weasley?'

Ron Weasley glared back at him. 'Who did you expect? A house elf?'

'What are you doing?'

'Do you mind?' Ron looked down at the wand pressing into his jugular.

'Actually,' Harry said, not letting up a bit, 'no, I don't.'

'What are you playing at?' Ron snapped. 'You going to kill me? Are you a Dark Wizard after all?'

'Me? Have you looked in the mirror lately?'

'What?'

'You're dressed like a Death Eater,' Harry pointed out.

'No I'm not!' Ron argued.

Harry glanced down at his black cloak and Ron followed his gaze. They locked eyes again. Harry gave him a sceptical look. Ron grinned ruefully.

'Okay,' he said, 'I think there's been a little misunderstanding. I'm not a Death Eater! I'm being stealthy.' Harry gave him another look. 'I'm serious. Come on. You think I'm a Death Eater?'

Harry sighed. 'No,' he admitted, finally lowering his wand.

'Thank you,' Ron gasped, rubbing his neck.

'If you're not a Death Eater,' Harry began, 'then what the hell are you doing out here in the middle of the night. And don't say being stealthy.'

'I'm trying to find out who's behind these attacks,' Ron said.

'Huh. Same here, actually,' Harry declared. 'Though you do realise you're more likely to be the victim than anything else, right?'

'That's were the stealth part comes in,' Ron boasted.

'Hate to break it to you,' Harry said, 'but you're about as stealthy as a Mountain Troll.'

'And you're any better?' Ron argued. 'You're not even wearing dark colours!'

'Yet I still managed to sneak up on you, didn't I?'

Ron rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. 'You got lucky.'

'Right,' Harry said dismissively. 'Anyway, I'm not here to chat. I've got a job to do. You should go back to your bed.'

'What? You can't tell me what… hey, did you hear that?'

'As a matter of fact,' Harry said, looking back the way he had come. 'I did.'

'Let's go.'

Together, the unlikely duo took off at a run down the corridor, the sounds of a scuffle leading them. As they neared the end of the passage, a sound like a car backfiring reached them, and then a bright flash of crimson light. Harry doubled his speed and Ron followed suit. They rounded the corner.

Four hooded figures surrounded a prone figure. One of them pointed his wand threateningly downwards. Skull masks stood out from under hoods.

'Hey!' Ron yelled accusingly.

The four hooded figures - Death Eaters if Harry had ever seen them - turned sharply. A moments pause - and then they ran. Harry didn't have time to stop and berate Ron for being an idiot. He immediately gave chase, calling back over his shoulder: 'Check if he's okay!'

He didn't stop to see if Weasley followed the order. Harry chased them all the way up to the Entrance Hall, flinging curses at their backs. They aimed back at him occasionally, but he easily dodged their attacks. As Harry went to follow them down into the Slytherin Dungeons, one of the Death Eaters turned to face him. Caught off guard, Harry was unable to raise his wand quick enough to perform a spell. Instead, an intense white light emitting from the tip of the Death Eaters wand blinded him, finally putting a stop to the chase. He had to shield his eyes it was that intense, and when he finally could open them again, the Death Eaters had all vanished.

Not wasting a second, he removed his Marauder's Map and scanned the Slytherin Dungeons for signs of life. What he found was more disturbing than even the concept of Death Eaters inside Hogwarts. The map revealed nothing in the corridors, except a tiny dot for himself, and then Ron Weasley and the Death Eaters would be victim, Justin Finch-Fletchley.

When Harry returned to the scene of the crime, he still hadn't been able to figure out how the Death Eaters had eluded him, not to mention the Marauder's Map! In all the time he had been in possession of the map, it had never failed him, not even once. So why had it now? Did the Death Eaters somehow manage to Apparate outside of Hogwarts? Or did they have some way to avoid detection? Either way, it wasn't good news.

'They got away?' Ron asked, looking up at Harry from his position on his knees before the horizontal Hufflepuff.

Harry didn't even bother replying. He couldn't even gather the energy to be sarcastic. 'Is he okay?' he asked instead.

'As far as I can tell,' Ron replied. 'Just unconscious. Why do you think they didn't kill him?'

'Use your eyes,' Harry said, pointing at Justin's right hand. 'He's got his wand out. That means he saw them coming. They must have just stunned him, but they would have killed him if we hadn't interrupted them.'

'So what do we do?' Ron asked.

'That's for Dumbledore to decide,' Harry said.

'Let me guess, you want me to go and get him?'

Harry thought about it. 'No,' he said, 'I'll go. You stay here and keep guard. Don't even blink. And keep your wand out and raised. Be ready for anything.'

'I'm not an idiot,' Ron replied tartly.

'If you say so.'

Ron growled low in his throat, but kept the peace.

'I'll be quick,' Harry said as he started to leave.

'Hey,' Ron called as Harry neared the end of the corridor, 'what do I do if Justin wakes up?'

'He won't.'

'If he does?'

'Keep him quiet and calm, and make sure he doesn't leave before we can talk to him.'

Ron nodded in agreement and understanding.

Harry turned to go again.

'Potter!'

Harry stopped abruptly and turned again, beginning to get annoyed, but refusing to show it. 'What?'

'I still don't like you,' Ron said.

Harry didn't even deign to respond.

'Ass,' Ron muttered, but he smiled as he said it.

Harry donned his Invisibility Cloak once he was around the corner and out of Weasleys sight. Then he ran, light footed as always, straight up to the Headmaster's Chambers. Time was crucial. The longer he left Ron and the Hufflepuff alone, the more likely someone was to come along and discover them. Filch, for example. He didn't even stop to say the password, but called out before he reached the stone gargoyle. He just about managed to squeeze through the gap and then took three steps at a time all the way to top of the staircase, removing his cloak as he went. Here he found the door to the Headmaster's Chamber locked, even against his best charms. Dumbledore was getting cautious. With growing urgency, Harry started to bang on the door.

It took Dumbledore longer than Harry was comfortable with, but eventually the old wizard opened the door.

'There was another attack,' Harry said, before the Headmaster could speak, 'but we managed to avoid a fatality this time. You better come and make sure the victim doesn't talk, or we'll have serious trouble with Rufus and the board of governors.'

Dumbledore only took a moment to process it all, then replied, 'of course. Take me to him immediately.'

They started down the stairs, Harry leading. 'There's more,' Harry said.

'Tell me everything.'

'I was out patrolling - like I said I would - and I bumped into Ron Weasley. Seems he had the same idea and was trying to stop another murder. He was dressed like a Death Eater, minus the mask, but I think it's more of an unfortunate coincidence than because he is secretly one of them. I told him it was dangerous to be out roaming the corridors without even a means to conceal himself and that he should go back to his dormitory. He didn't want to, but before I could press the matter, we heard a commotion coming from the end of the corridor. As we approached the corner, a red light flashed. I'm guessing a stunning spell. We found four figures - dressed as Death Eaters, masks and all - surrounding an incapacitated figure.'

'Students, do you think?' Dumbledore asked.

'From what I could tell, they had the right build,' Harry said.

'Mmm,' Dumbledore hummed concernedly. 'Continue.'

'One of them was about to finish it, but Weasley shouted and got their attention. They ran and I followed. I told Weasley to guard the victim. I chased them all the way to the Entrance Hall and was just about to follow them into the Slytherin Dungeons when one of them turned and fired this spell in my direction. I've never seen a spell like it. It was just this enormous light. It filled the entire corridor and near blinded me. When I could see again, they had all vanished.'

'Someone has been teaching them tricks,' Dumbledore mused.

'I'd say so,' Harry said. 'Here's the most bizarre thing. I had my father's map with me, and when I checked it - to see who else was in the corridor - it was empty, except for Weasley, the victim and myself. That's never happened before. So yeah, I'd say someone has been teaching them lots of new tricks.'

'How to avoid magical detection?'

'It's possible, isn't it?' Harry asked, already knowing the answer.

'It is,' Dumbledore replied. 'Though it is considered illegal, by the Ministry's law, to do so.'

'That won't stop them.'

Nothing more was said until they reached the scene of the crime.

'Sir,' Ron greeted, lowering his wand.

'Mr. Weasley,' Dumbledore returned, 'thank you for keeping watch. Your father would be proud.'

'Thank you, sir.'

'Now, please stand back,' Dumbledore said, while kneeling next to the unconscious body of Justin Finch-Fletchley. 'Enervate!'

'Uh,' Justin moaned as he regained consciousness.

'Justin, you alright?' Ron asked, leaning over worriedly.

'Ron?' Justin groaned, sitting up and blinking groggily.

'Mr. Finch-Fletchley,' Dumbledore spoke in his reassuring tone of voice, 'can you hear me?'

'Professor?' Justin blinked again, looking around at them all. 'Potter?'

'Do you remember what happened?' Dumbledore asked.

'I was…' A sudden blush crept upon his features.

'Don't be afraid to tell the truth,' Dumbledore said, 'all usual consequences shall be forfeited. I just need to know what happened.'

'Oh.' Justin rubbed the bridge of his nose before continuing. 'I was meeting up with a girl… to… erm… study. She said I shouldn't walk back alone, but I said it would be fine. I never thought I would be attacked. I heard them coming, so I pulled out my wand and attacked first. I must have surprised them, but I was outnumbered. I think it was a stunner. That's the last thing I remember.'

'Nothing else?'

'They were dressed as Death Eaters,' Justin remembered, 'but it couldn't have been real Death Eaters, right?'

'I wouldn't rule out anything when it concerns Voldemort,' Harry said, speaking for the first time.

That brought Justin's attention once more back to Harry. 'What are you doing here Potter?'

'Saving your life,' Harry replied.

'Are you serious?'

'Harry has been patrolling the corridors as a safety measure,' Dumbledore said. 'However, I would like to keep that, and the attack a secret for now. It would only increase tensions within the wizarding community, and seeing as no one came to any real harm, I don't see any point in reporting the attack.'

'Sir?' Justin gaped at him. 'I was assaulted! Nearly murdered!'

'I understand that Justin,' Dumbledore spoke quietly, but with force. 'Now, do you understand what these attacks are doing to our world? Voldemort is a master at creating chaos and sowing discord. These attacks are just one example of this. If you go against my wishes and report this unfortunate incident, you will only be helping Voldemort. Do you want that?'

Justin lowered his head. 'No, sir.'

'Then can I trust that this will remain between the four of us?' Dumbledore directed this at Ron as well.

'Of course, sir,' Ron replied immediately.

'Justin?'

With a sigh, 'yes, sir.'

'Thank you.' Dumbledore climbed to his feet. 'Harry, would you please escort Mr. Finch-Fletchley and Mr. Weasley back to their common rooms?'

'Sure.'

Dumbledore gave him a nod of thanks, before turned and pulling out his wand.

'Come on,' Harry said, giving Weasley and Justin a commanding look.

'What's he…' Justin began.

'I said, come on,' Harry repeated.

'But…'

Harry gave the curious Hufflepuff a quelling look. Justin sighed again and reluctantly followed. As it was closest, they came to the Hufflepuff dormitory first.

'How come you get special treatment?' Justin demanded, rounding on Harry at the door. 'Dumbledore doesn't seem at all worried that you might get hurt.'

'That's because I can handle myself,' Harry said, letting a smirk cross his features. 'Unlike you.'

'Don't be such a smug prat, Potter,' Justin threatened. 'You'll get your comeuppance.'

'We'll see.'

'Really,' Justin said, 'what's so special about you? I don't get it! You think you're so great, strutting around the school with that Draco Malfoy character, acting like you own the place. I don't understand how Dumbledore can give you such a free reign, everyone knows you're as dark as they come.'

'Oh please,' Ron interrupted, 'you can't still believe that bull. I'll admit, I'm not a fan of Potter, but he's not dark. He saved your life tonight and all you can do is whine about how he's treated by Dumbledore - like it matters! Grow up Justin.'

Justin was speechless.

'Come on Potter,' Ron said, leading the way back up the corridor.

Harry wagged a mocking finger at Justin. 'And I don't strut, thank you very much.'

He was still chuckling to himself as he caught up with Ron.

'Never thought I'd see the day you defended me,' Harry mentioned idly.

'Yeah, well…' Ron said vaguely.

'What changed your mind?' Harry asked, genuinely curious this time.

'Lots of things,' Ron said. 'Mostly…'

'Mostly…?' Harry pressed.

'Luna Lovegood,' Ron said.

'Okay,' Harry replied, caught off guard, 'not what I expected to hear. Hermione, maybe, but Lovegood?'

'She said you weren't dark.'

'You believe her? Believe in her enough to take her word for it?'

Ron nodded.

'So,' Harry nudged Ron with an elbow, 'she good?'

Ron frowned. 'Good?'

'In bed,' Harry explained, and laughed at Ron's angry look. He held up his hands in surrender. 'Kidding. Kidding. But you do like her, don't you?'

'If I did,' Ron said, 'I wouldn't talk to you about it.'

Harry laughed again. 'You do.'

Ron made no response, but eventually he couldn't help but ask a question of his own. 'Justin did have a point, you know. Dumbledore does treat you differently. How come?'

'Your mother is a member of the Order and you don't know?'

'Know what?'

Harry shook his head. 'I thought you knew.'

'Knew what?' Annoyed.

'I'm the one who has to do it,' Harry explained.

'…do it?'

'Kill Voldemort.'

Ron stopped walking. 'You?'

'Me.'

'Why?'

'Dumbledore thinks it's because of this prophecy that was made before I was born,' Harry said. 'It was vague, as they always are, but the gist is this: we can't exist together. One of us will kill the other.'

'That's… woah. I can't even put it into words.'

They resumed walking.

'Wait! You said "Dumbledore thinks"…?'

'That's not the reason,' Harry clarified. 'The real reason is because he killed my parents.'

'Revenge?'

'That's the core of it anyway,' Harry said. 'I'll not get into the rest. I think it's pretty self-explanatory.'

'Yeah,' Ron agreed. The silence stretched until Ron couldn't help himself. 'You think you can? Really kill him?'

'I know I can,' Harry said. 'There's no other alternative.'

'Man, I don't envy you.'

Hermione was waiting for him when he returned to Slytherin's Chamber.

'Where have you been?' she demanded.

She was sitting on the couch, wrapped in green silk bedding, and glaring at him with furious chocolate eyes.

'I went for a walk,' Harry lied.

'For four hours?'

'I…'

'Don't lie to me Harry,' Hermione interrupted, 'I can tell.'

'I don't know what to say to that,' Harry said.

'Tell me the truth,' Hermione demanded.

'I'd rather not.'

'I don't care,' Hermione replied bitterly. 'I was worried sick. The least you owe me is the truth.'

Harry shrugged. 'Sorry,' he said, making his way over to the bedroom.

'That's not good enough!' Hermione stood and followed him.

Harry began to put away his things, hanging the Invisibility Cloak over the back of a chair and locking the Marauder's Map in the chest under the bed.

'Don't you care at all?' Hermione asked, fighting off tears. 'You just leave me all alone in here and expect me not to worry? Did you even think about what it would be like for me to wake up and find you gone? Voldemort is a real threat Harry, but he isn't the only one. We have killers inside Hogwarts, for crying out loud!'

'They don't scare me Hermione,' Harry said, refusing to look at her.

'They should,' she said. 'You're not invincible, despite what you might think.'

'What do you want me to say?' Harry asked. 'You want the truth? I already told you, I can't tell you. I don't want you to know Hermione. It's better you just forget it ever happened.'

'I can't believe you,' Hermione choked. 'Do you even hear what you're saying? You're acting just like Dumbledore.'

She saw Harry clench his fists. He took several deep breaths, and then turned abruptly and stormed passed her, grabbing the cloak as he left the room. He didn't even look at her, not even a glance.

Hermione rubbed at her wet eyes.

The door to the secret chamber shut with a thump.