Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Ah, I'm so sorry! It's been waaay longer than ever before, I'm so sorry. I just couldn't find the time to write. You must all hate me by now, with that cliffy and the long wait. So this chapter is uber short, because I wanted to get something out for you, just to tie you over. I'm going to try and get another, longer one, out tomorrow. On the upside, I think this chapter has a really nice, interesting bit in for you to enjoy. Thanks for the reviews and enjoy!

Harry Potter and the Year of DiscordChapter Eight

With a muffled crack, Harry Potter appeared on the high street of Hogsmeade, the village nearest to Hogwarts. As soon as he appeared, he burst into a sprint towards the school, nestled on the hills above. He would have preferred to have his Firebolt with him, as it would have made getting to Hogwarts considerably quicker, not to mention easier. Unfortunately, his broom was stowed away on the Hogwarts Express, and not even his summoning spell would have gotten it here on time. Instead, he put all his effort into running as fast as he could. It was times like these he wished he'd put some effort into physical training, but like most wizards, he relied too much on his magic.

Harry shot past the Three Broomsticks pub, but at the last second came to a screeching halt. He turned to stare at the shop, noticing it was open, but like the rest of Hogsmeade it was strangely quiet. The town never did seem to be very busy on September the 1st. However, the shop was indeed open, and Harry was struck with inspiration. He ran into the shop, startling Madam Rosmerta, who was casually cleaning the bar with a washcloth.

"No time to explain," Harry panted, interrupted her before she could speak, "I need a broom, quickly. It's very important!"

"I…well…what?" Madam Rosmerta spluttered.

"Broom!" Harry shouted. Madam Rosmerta jumped in shock when a glass behind her exploded, turning wide startled eyes to Harry. "Now!"

"…R-right," Madam Rosmerta gasped, turning in shock and hurrying to the back room to retrieve her broom. When she returned, Harry grabbed it, and without even a simple thanks, he dashed from the room and shot into the air.

The wind whipped against his cheeks, stinging his flesh, he was going that fast. Hogwarts rushed towards him at a much more satisfying rate, and before he knew it, Harry was touching down outside the Castle doors. He tried to open them, but found them securely locked against him. Cursing Hogwarts protective wards, he kicked at the gates and shouted as loud as he could.

"Come on," he muttered, running a hand through his hair angrily. "Open!"

Nothing. It was useless. No one would hear him from down here, locked out from help. His mind whirled, trying to come up with a suitable solution, but it was strangely blank. He raised his wand and pointed it at the gates of Hogwarts.

"Reducto!" he roared, but the spell just bounced off a yellow shield that seemed to surround the gates, before coming back on him. Harry ducked, thanking his Seeker reflexes, and the spell hit the ground behind him, turning up rock and grass.

He stormed in front of the gates for what felt like an eternity, trying to come up with another solution. Then it hit him - Grimmauld Place. Feeling like an idiot, he concentrated his mind on the formerly dilapidated house, but before he could Apparate, a voice interrupted him.

"'Arry?" the distinct voice of Hagrid asked.

"Hagrid!" Harry gasped, relief flooding him.

"What - " Hagrid went to ask, but Harry interrupted him.

"The Hogwarts Express is under attack," Harry said. "You have to tell Dumbledore. Tell him to get as many Aurors and Order members as he can. He'll be able to find us by our magical energy, I'm sure the place is just glowing with it. I can't stay, I've got to get back and help. Got it Hagrid?"

"Are you…?" Hagrid began, but at Harry's almost glare, he stopped and nodded. "Righ', I'll tell 'em, don't worry."

"Quickly!" Harry shouted, before disappearing with a crack.

(----)

"Stupefy!"

"Crucio!"

The two spells collided in the middle, creating a bright flare of red energy, blinding everyone. Hermione grabbed Draco and pulled him down to the ground, just as two bright flashes of green energy (the tell tale sign of the Killing curse) came rushing over them, exploding the door behind them in a shower of wood. As the light show ended, Hermione raised her wand into the air:

"Reducto!" she shouted, pointing at the roof of the train over the Death Eaters. With a cry of pain and shock, the three Death Eaters found themselves under a pile of broken wood. Dust clouded the area, hiding them from view.

"Stupefy!" Draco shouted, aiming into the cloud of dust. "Stupefy! Stupefy!" He cast the spell again and again, having no idea if he was connecting or not, but the more he cast, the more likely it became. Hermione's hand on his arm stopped him, as did her pleading eyes.

"Draco," she said. "Stop. I think we got them."

"Let's find out," Draco muttered, standing up from his kneeling position and walking towards the settling dust. Hermione followed him.

She could see an arm, marked with the Dark Mark, sticking out of the rubble, immobile, loosely gripping a wand. The rest of the Death Eaters seemed buried by the avalanche of wood and even metal, as Hermione could now see. Her Reducto spell had done more damage than even she had expected.

Draco knelt by the pile of rubble and removed the wand from the unconscious Death Eater. He snapped it, tossing it aside idly. Hermione smiled a little as his thorough behaviour. As she went to help him clear away the rest of the rubble, she was shocked when the mountain of wood and metal moved, and even more shocked when the lead Death Eater emerged and slammed an equally surprised Draco into the wall. The platinum haired teenager fell to the floor with a groan. The Death Eater turned his attention to Hermione.

Hermione started to back up, staring in shock at the scared face of the Death Eater. The avalanche had snapped his mask clean in half, revealing one side of his face, which was cut down the cheek nastily, dripping crimson blood. He ripped the mask clean off, revealing his hard face and black moustache. He grinned, the sight sending shivers down Hermiones spine. The Death Eater raised his right hand and trailed his gloved fingers over the open wound, his smile quickly turning into a snarl.

"You filthy Mudblood," he snarled, "I'm going to enjoy killing you." And he raised his wand.

"Avada Kedavra!"

Hermione gasped, her heart almost jumping right out of her chest, as the green light surrounded the Death Eater, who's shocked face was almost comical. Or at least, it would have been, in any other situation. The Death Eater fell to the floor, face first, dead.

"Hermione," Draco gasped, getting to his feet slowly, clutching the back of his head with one hand and holding his wand in the other. He slumped towards her. "Hermione?"

Hermione could only stare at the motionless Death Eater.

"Hermione?" Draco repeated, stopping in front of her.

"You killed him," she said, raising her head to stare at Draco.

Draco looked down, as if ashamed, but then looked back up at her with a hard stare.

"He was going to kill you," Draco said. "Would you have preferred me to just let him?"

"You could have stunned him," Hermione argued.

"He was trying to kill us Hermione," Draco argued back, "this is war, you know. It's kill or be killed, right? Look, I wasn't even thinking okay, it was just the first spell that came to mind. I just saw what he was going to do and panicked, okay?"

"You panicked…" Hermione murmured.

"Right," Draco said with a nod, "panicked. I saw he was going to hurt you and panicked. You have any idea what Harry would do to me if I let something happen to you?" Draco chuckled dryly. "It wouldn't be good, let's put it that way."

Hermione nodded, looking back down at the Death Eater. She watched as Draco's foot hooked itself under the dead weight, and then with a heave, Draco rolled the wizard over. The blood covered, moustache bearing, lifeless face looked up at her with glassy eyes. She turned away, disgusted, feeling the urge to throw up.

"Macnair," Draco said, shaking his head. "Walden Macnair. I knew I recognised that voice."

"You know him?" Hermione asked, walking away from the sight.

"Yeah," Draco said, following her. "He used to work for the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures and was a friend of my fathers. Never did like him. Trust me Hermione, I did the world a favour - Walden Macnair is one of the worst, trust me. Guy has a serious blood lust. Or rather, he had."

"Let's just get back to work," Hermione said, not wanting to hear anymore about Walden Macnair.

"Right," Draco said, "so what now?"

"Let's head back up the train," Hermione said, "we have to get everyone off and into the woods. Find someplace safe."

Draco nodded and followed Hermione, leaving the dead body of Macnair behind.

(----)

Piccolo999