Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Sorry! So sorry! Damn it's been longer than I'd like between updates, but what can I say? Stupid life getting in the way. Anyway, hope you all like this chapter. I think some of you will get a better understanding of how my Ron works and his relationship with Harry. It will be something else that develops over the story, and this is where it begins.

To those who mentioned how disappointed they were that Harry turned down the Head boy badge. I really couldn't have done it any other way. I would have been going against my Harry if I'd had him accept. He also turned down the Prefect badge and the Quidditch Captain badge, so it was really no surprise to everyone else. I thought I'd made it clear that Harry just really doesn't care much for trivial things like that. He's got much larger ambitions and worries. Besides, Draco needed the room anyway. You'll see why. Thanks for the reviews and enjoy!

Harry Potter and the Year of DiscordChapter Six

So far, Harry was having the best summer he'd ever had. It spoke considerably for how bad his previous summers had been, seeing as this particular summer was full of nervous anticipation, everyone just waiting for Voldemort's next move. Nevertheless, Harry had Hermione and Draco with him, and even Ginny occasionally, though she was often quiet and withdrawn. All in all, it had been fun spending time with his best friend and girlfriend, without having to think about classes or homework. Harry was beginning to get a true idea of what a real summer holiday was like.

They couldn't do much, but it was still fun to just be with them. They'd lounge around in the living room of Grimmauld Place, playing games and talking about whatever came to mind. Harry sometimes found himself just sitting there, watching two of the most important people in his life. To say he was surprised that Hermione and Draco had hit it off was no understatement.

Hermione had always expressed her doubts about Draco to him, many, many times over the last year, and especially after what Draco had done to Ginny. Draco could often be stubborn about certain things, and Gryffindors where one of those things. Though he didn't agree with his father's beliefs, Draco still was a Slytherin, and Slytherins don't socialise with Gryffindors. It just doesn't happen.

In retrospect, Harry shouldn't have been that surprised. After all, Draco had also fallen for a Gryffindor, and while he could be very stubborn, he would also surprise you from time to time and be very reasonable. Harry was sure Draco had changed his views on Gryffindors slightly. Not all of them, because Harry and Draco both had a lot of fun pushing Ron Weasleys buttons, but enough to give them a chance.

Hermione, on the other hand, Harry wasn't sure about. He'd asked her, and she had admitted to being slightly wary of the Slytherin, but apparently his performance during the battle last term had won him over with her significantly. Hermione said she was willing to give Draco a chance.

Watching the two of them tease each other as they played wizards chess, Harry felt himself feeling content. This was what life should be like all the time, just enjoying the companionship of your friends and family.

But when Harry woke up on this particular weekday, he knew it wasn't going to be another day of rest and relaxation. Today was the day he'd take his Apparition test. He had no worries, as he was certain he'd ace it, so he got out of bed sedately and slowly got ready for the day. He left his room clad only in his boxers and went to the bathroom down the corridor, washing his face and shaving the little pin pricks of stubble that had started to develop on his chin and cheeks. Returning to his room, he got dressed in some muggle jeans and a plain blue shirt, deciding to leave his wizards robes aside for today.

When he arrived in the kitchen for breakfast, Ron Weasley was already up, dressed and yawning widely at the table, groggily staring at some uneaten toast that was rapidly getting cold. Harry sat down across from the other teen and smiled when Mrs. Weasley placed a plate of toast before him. It never ceased to surprise him how the matriarch of the Weasley family seemed to always know what he wanted for breakfast, how he wanted it, and when he wanted it. It was like she was psychic or something.

"Thanks Mrs. Weasley," Harry said, picking up his toast and taking a bite.

"Ronald," Mrs. Weasley said crossly. "Eat your toast. Its getting cold and you need to eat something before you take your Apparition test. You don't want to fail again do you?"

"No mum," Ron said, picking up his toast as well and taking a bite. He glared at Harry the whole time. Harry pretended to be interested in checking his nails for dirt, ignoring the young Weasleys ire.

"Good boy," Mrs. Weasley said, ruffling his red hair. Ron scowled and Harry bit back a smirk. Mrs. Weasley turned to Harry. "Remus will be taking you for your tests, he should be here any minute now."

"Okay," Harry said, after swallowing a bite.

Sure enough, Remus arrived only a few short minutes after that, emerging from the fireplace amidst a vast amount of soot. He coughed, glaring in vain at the fireplace.

"That thing really needs to be cleaned," Remus choked, turning to smile at Mrs. Weasley, then Harry and Ron. "Good Morning, how is everyone?"

"As well as can be expected," Mrs. Weasley answered, "any news?"

"Nope," Remus said, tossing a thoroughly read Daily Prophet onto the table. "Not a peep."

Mrs. Weasley sighed heavily.

"Ready to go?" Remus asked, facing Harry and Ron again.

"Yeah," Harry said, finishing off his toast. Ron grunted an affirmative, still glaring at Harry as if his mere presence was offensive to the redhead.

"Good," Remus said, cheerfully.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" Harry asked, squinting at him thoughtfully.

"Nothing," Remus replied a little too quickly, and Harry thought he saw a faint blush form on the shabbily dressed man's cheeks.

"Right," Harry replied, drawing it out and making it perfectly clear he didn't believe his former Professor.

Remus cleared his throat loudly and was about to speak when the door to the kitchen opened and Draco and Hermione appeared. Draco was still in his pyjamas, but Hermione was fully dressed. She smiled a greeting at everyone. Draco ignored everybody and went right for the kitchen table.

"Good Morning," Hermione said. She walked up to Harry and took his hand. "I'm glad I caught you before you left."

"That's good then," Remus said, giving her a smile. "Perfect timing. We were just about to leave."

Ron stood up, joining Harry, Hermione and Remus by the door. Draco picked up Ron's uneaten toast when the redheads back was turned and took a bite. He scrunched his face up in distaste and dropped the piece of dried bread back onto Ron's plate with a faint 'ugh'.

"So we going or what?" Ron pressed.

"Right," Remus said. "Come on then."

"Good luck," Hermione said, stepping up on tiptoes to give Harry a soft kiss.

Harry grinned. "I don't need luck," he boasted, "but thanks anyway."

"Good luck Ronald!" Mrs. Weasley called.

"Yeah," Draco echoed, smirking, "Good luck Ronald!"

Ron turned and glared at him, for once taking his eyes off Harry, as the trio left the room. Hermione approached the table and whacked Draco on the head as she passed him, but she was smiling softly. Draco just grinned, rubbing at his head.

(----)

As was becoming a more and more constant in his life, Ron was having a horrible day. First of all, he was the most nervous he had ever been, having to take his Apparition test for the second time. Yeah, that's right, gloat all you want - Ron Weasleys a bloody idiot who can't even Apparate properly. You get the idea. And to add to his already bad mood, he had to take his Apparition test along with Harry Potter, the most annoying person Ron had ever met.

Ron just didn't know what to think of the Slytherin. Ever since he had first saw the renowned Boy Who Lived, he'd always had a bad feeling about him. After all, nothing good ever came out of Slytherin! At least, that's what Ron always thought. His feeling only got worse and worse as he grew up.

Harry Potter was the most isolated person he'd ever seen. He hardly ever talked to anyone, at least as far as Ron could see. He'd occasionally be seen with Draco Malfoy, but that didn't really add anything in his favour. It only served to increase Ron's worries. Ron just didn't understand why no one did anything about it. It was a big oversight in his opinion. They even let the guy wander around the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix, how bloody stupid was that?

Anyway, Ron found himself getting a face full of metaphorical water when Harry Potter saved him and the rest of the Gryffindors during You Know Who's attack on Hogwarts last year. Ron just didn't get it. Potter was a Slytherin, why was he helping them? Shouldn't he be out there helping the Death Eaters pick off students? Instead, he was saving Ron's life and sucking face with Hermione Granger, the second most isolated person he knew.

In the end, Ron just had to accept that Potter was actually on their side, at least for now. However, that didn't mean he had to like the guy, or that he had to really trust him. Ron made up his mind to always keep an eye on Potter, just in case. Potter didn't seem bothered to try and be his friend either, and that was just fine, as far as he was concerned.

The only thing they had in common was a mutual dislike of the other.

So having to spend the day with the annoying prick was definitely not something Ron looked forward too. That was why he was currently glaring at Potter's back as they walked into the Ministry of Magic. They made their way through numerous corridors and one seemingly endless elevator ride until they eventually arrived at the Magical Evaluation office, where they would be taking their Apparition tests.

When they arrived, it was packed full of teenagers around Ron's age, and even a few older wizards. It seemed it wasn't such an uncommon thing for a wizard to fail the first time. As Ron was looking around, he spotted a familiar face heading towards them with a grin.

"Harry!" Neville Longbottom called, clumsily dodging a wizard and avoiding a collision.

"Hey Neville," Harry said, turning to spot his friend.

"Hi Ron," Neville added, spotting Ron for the first time. Ron returned the greeting with a slight smile. He had no idea how Neville could stand Potter, but that was beside the point. He still liked the friendly boy.

"I'm excited," Neville said, grinning, "aren't you? I just know I'll pass. How can I fail when I have such an awesome teacher?"

"I'm sure you will," Harry replied.

Ron tuned them out, not eager to listen to their confident gloating. He surveyed the roughly round room they stood in. At the far end he could make out a little table with a register and a sign telling them they needed to put their names down in order to take the test. Ron made to do so, spotting their chaperone Remus Lupin already waiting in line. He stopped beside him.

"It's okay Ron," Remus said, noticing him. "I'll put your name down for you. Go talk with Harry and Neville."

"I'd rather not," Ron returned, glaring over his shoulder at the pair.

"Oh?" Remus murmured, edging for ward in the line. Ron followed. "How come?"

"They're so confident, it's sickening." Ron replied brusquely.

"Sometimes confidence is important," Remus replied. "It can make all the difference. If you think you can't do something, you'll most likely fail. Harry knows this, which is why he always seems to confident in himself."

"Don't you mean arrogant?" Ron asked.

Remus laughed. "I suppose," he said, "but that's just the way it is. Powerful people generally end up arrogant whether they want to be or not. Even Dumbledore is arrogant - just ask him."

"What's your point?" Ron asked.

"The point is," Remus said. "Nobody is perfect."

Ron looked back at Harry, watching as the Slytherin chatted away with Neville. He frowned, thinking about all that Professor Lupin had said. He was broken out of his thoughts when somebody's distorted voice echoed around the room, through the obvious enhancement of a Sonorus charm. Ron had become so lost in his own head that he hadn't even realised Remus had gone ahead and signed them all up for the tests, or that almost twenty minutes had passed. Ron found Remus, Harry and Neville standing nearby and approached them, all the while keeping an ear open for the Sonorus enchanted voice.

"…will begin shortly," the voice was saying, "and it will consist of two simple exercises, focusing on your accuracy and projection. You will receive more information from your Apparition instructor, who will be with you shortly. Thank you."

"Good luck everyone," Remus said, giving them each an encouraging smile.

"Thanks Professor Lupin," Neville said, grinning.

Harry just gave their old Professor a knowing smile. Ron shook his head, his insides squirming. He just knew he was going to fail again. He could already see Potter's mocking smile and could hear Malfoys sarcastic laughing echoing in his ears. Gritting his teeth, clenching his fists, Ron vowed to himself that he'd pass, just to shove it in their faces. Arrogant pricks.

"Ron Weasley!" A voice bellowed.

Nodding to himself, Ron approached his instructor with his head held high, ready to prove to himself and everyone else that he wasn't a joke.

(----)

"So, how did it go?"

Ron was asked that question, in varying ways, often over the next few days. It was one of the greatest moments in his life, being able to hold his head up and proclaim to all that he'd passed with flying colours. In truth, he'd barely managed it, but they didn't need to know that.

But the most baffling thing was Potter's reaction. He'd been ready to see the look of disappointment on Potter's face when he told him he'd passed, the disappointment that he wouldn't be able to rub this one in Ron's nose. He'd been ready for it, but it hadn't happened. Potter had just smirked and said 'well done'. Like it wasn't a big deal.

But that just confirmed it. Ron would never - ever - understand one Harry Potter.

"The arrogant prick," Ron muttered, rolling over in bed.

(----)

Piccolo999