Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Here's chapter four, hope you all like. Sorry for those who like longer chapters, but I prefer smaller ones, so you'll just have to suffer through it. Actually, I just write until it feels right to stop and then whatever the length is, that's what you get. Anyway, thanks for the reviews and enjoy!

Harry Potter and the Year of DiscordChapter Four

Draco was sitting cross-legged on his bed when the knock came at his bedroom door. Wondering who could possibly be knocking on his door (after all, Harry would have just walked in) he climbed to his feet and opened the door slightly to peek thought he gap. A large white beard met his eyes, which he raised to meet the twinkling eyes of Albus Dumbledore.

"Mr Malfoy," Dumbledore said, "I was wondering if I could have a word?"

"Only if you don't call me that," Draco said, stepping back and opening the door nonetheless.

Dumbledore walked in, taking in the room with a quick glance around, before turning to face Draco once more.

"You do not wish me to call you by the name Malfoy?" Dumbledore enquired.

"I don't want anyone to call me by that name," Draco said.

"Interesting," Dumbledore said, "may I ask why?"

"That name holds no respect or honour," Draco answered. "At least, not anymore. I don't want anyone to call me by that name, not until I can bring that respect back."

"I see," Dumbledore said, nodding and smiling. "Then, Draco, may I have a seat?"

"Whatever," Draco replied, waving an arm at a chair.

Dumbledore smiled again and took the chair, propping his elbows on his knees and observing Draco over steeple hands. Draco coughed, slightly uncomfortable with the Headmaster looking at him so intently, before he sat down on the end of the bed.

"How are you, Draco?" Dumbledore asked.

"Fine," Draco said.

"It must be hard," Dumbledore went on, "not being able to see your mother again, nor return to your home. What you did was a very brave and noble thing, standing up to your father and Voldemort like that."

"Brave?" Draco sneered. "More like stupid. I'm not brave Professor. I'm not noble. I only did what I had to do."

"But what you did was brave and noble," Dumbledore explained, "whatever your reasons."

"What do you want?" Draco asked, bluntly.

"I want to give you a chance Draco," Dumbledore said. "I make it a point to always give people a chance, even a second chance, if I feel they deserve it. Sometimes I am right, and sometimes I am wrong. However, I am human, and like many people before me I am capable of bias. I try my best to overcome it and to give everyone a chance, but from time to time I have already made up my mind about certain people. Your father was one of these people, and I am ashamed to admit, you were as well. I always thought that you would follow in his footsteps, through no fault of your own. An upbringing like yours rarely produces a decent child. Often, the child is…how can I put this…almost brainwashed into following the parent's ideals. But every now and then an anomaly does occur. I was pleased when a young Sirius Black was sorted into Gryffindor, when I was almost certain he would end up in Slytherin. My point is Draco, should I admit I was wrong about you, and give you a rightful chance?"

"I think that's your decision," Draco replied.

"Yes," Dumbledore agreed, "it is, but I was asking for your opinion on the matter. Harry has always told me that he trusted you with his life. He told me that you were a good person. I wasn't sure what to believe, but I am glad he was right. You see - I am going to give you that chance Draco. I think Harry was right when he told me you could be counted on."

"Sir," Draco said, "as long as Harry is in this fight, then so am I, whether you trust me or not. It doesn't really matter. I swore to Harry that I'd be by his side and that's what I'm going to do. I'll fight for his side and bring back the respect the Malfoy name used to have."

"Very well," Dumbledore said. "I'm pleased to have you on our side. As a token of the trust I am offering you," Dumbledore reached into his robes and pulled out the Head Boy badge Harry had turned down, presenting it to Draco wordlessly.

Draco smirked and reached out, taking the offered badge. "So," he said, "Harry turned it down did he?"

"Yes."

"Why am I not surprised?" Draco muttered, running his thumb over the engraved badge.

"Yes well," Dumbledore said, "I was not expecting him to really accept it. I hope your not going to follow his lead in this matter."

"Nah," Draco said, pocketing the badge, "I think being Head Boy sounds brilliant. I get my own digs right?"

Dumbledore laughed. "Yes," he said, "you do. The Head Boy and Girl each get their own rooms, joint by a shared common room."

"Thank Merlin," Draco said, "I really didn't fancy sleeping with the rest of those Slytherins. I'm not condemning them all, but I suspect a few in our year are very loyal to Voldemort. And after outwardly defying him like that, I'm pretty sure they'd have something nasty to slip down my throat while I was sleeping, you know? Anyway, who's Head Girl?"

"That would be Miss Hermione Granger," Dumbledore answered.

"Right," Draco said, thoughtful. "Well, I think that'll work out fine. Thanks."

Dumbledore gave him a searching look, but obviously could not figure out what Draco was thinking, because he nodded and then excused himself. Draco muttered a goodbye and shut the door behind the Headmaster. Of course, Draco was thinking of the great opportunities that lay ahead for him in the coming year. That was, if Ginny came around anytime soon. Suddenly deflated, Draco cursed softly and slumped back onto his bed, head filling with fantasies that seemed far off to him, at least at this moment in time.

(----)

Harry and Sirius sat in the Granger household living room, with Hermione sitting next to Harry, separated from the rest of the Grangers by a small coffee table. The Granger living room was pleasant, with the furniture nestled nicely into the room. They sat on two long three-seater sofas nestled around the fireplace, with a bookshelf at the back, by a door that obviously led to the kitchen.

Mrs Jane Granger was pretty in her own right, with almost the exact same hair that Hermione had, big and tightly curled. She dressed conservatively, which wasn't a big surprise to Harry. The Grangers seemed very straight laced and proper.

Hermiones mother seemed very excited to see him, treating him as if he was royalty; almost the exact opposite of the cool way Mr Granger treated him. She offered him and Sirius tea and biscuits, which Sirius quickly and gladly accepted before Harry could decline.

"So," Mrs Granger began, pouring two cups of tea for them, "I'd like to say I've heard a lot about you, but our Hermione has been rather tight lipped about you, Harry. However, it's very nice to meet you and your father."

"Oh," Hermione gasped, her cheeks tinged pink, "actually, erm…"

"Sirius is my Godfather," Harry said, giving Hermione a reassuring smile, after all, it was clear she was unsure how to broach the subject that her boyfriend was an orphan and the wizarding world's savoir. "My parents died when I was one."

"I see," Mrs Granger replied, flushing slightly at her mistaken assumption. "I'm very sorry to hear that."

"Harry," Hermione all but moaned, "I really don't think it's a good idea to bring this up now, do you?"

"Actually," Harry said, giving her another reassuring smile, "I think it needs to be said. I'm surprised you haven't already told them."

"Told us what, exactly?" Hermiones father asked coolly.

"Well," Harry said, giving Sirius a look that told him he'd handle it, "I'm not sure how much you really know…?"

"Hermione doesn't tell us much," Mrs Granger answered, giving her daughter a wounded look.

"I don't tell you because I know you'll over react." Hermione defended herself.

"Well," Harry said, breaking into the tension before it could escalate. "I think I understand why Hermione didn't tell you now, but I think it's far past the time you need to know. You see, before I was born there was a wizard who turned bad, very bad. He caused a lot of trouble in the wizarding world. A prophecy was made that a child would be born who had the power to defeat this wizard, and that nobody else would be able to do so. This wizard, who goes by the name Voldemort, found out about the prophecy. I was one of the children who could potentially fulfil the prophecy, so he targeted my parents and killed them when I was only one. He tried to kill me as well, but his spell backfired for some reason and he ended up stuck between life and death, a spirit without a body."

"Wait a minute," Mr Granger interrupted, holding up one hand and rubbing the bridge of his nose with the other, "you can't be serious."

"He is," Sirius said. "Very serious - as he should be. Voldemort is no joke Mr Granger, especially now that he's back."

"He's back?" Mrs Granger squeaked, eyes wide. She stared at her daughter in disbelief. "How could you not tell us this? I knew we should have took you out of that…dangerous school when you got attacked by that…Troll thing!"

"Mum!" Hermione protested. "This is why I didn't tell you! I knew you'd act like this."

"Well," Mr Granger said seriously, "I'm certainly not letting you go back now young lady."

Harry opened his mouth to protest, but Sirius spoke before him, knowing Harry enough to know that the world about to escape his mouth would be less than pleasant.

"That would be futile," Sirius said. "Actually, taking Hermione out of Hogwarts is probably the worst course of action at this point."

"And why is that?" Mr Granger asked snidely, obviously thinking Sirius was talking nonsense.

"Because Hermione is a Muggleborn," Sirius said. "One of Voldemorts main goals is to kill all Muggleborn witches and wizards. He believes that all non-pureblood magical people should be eradicated. So like I said, taking Hermione out of Hogwarts would not help one bit. In fact, she'd be safer at Hogwarts, under Dumbledores protection."

"And mine," Harry said emphatically.

"What are you going to do?" Mr Granger asked mockingly. "You're just a boy."

Harry narrowed his eyes at Mr Granger, but again, before he could speak, he was interrupted.

"Stop it!" Hermione shouted, her face flushed.

"Hermione dear," Mrs Granger gasped.

"I don't care mum," Hermione said, standing up. "Dad, you're being a jerk. Harry, please calm down."

Harry nodded, but he kept his eyes locked on Mr Granger. Mr Granger looked at his daughter, surprised.

"I don't care what you say," Hermione said. "I'm going back to Hogwarts and you can't stop me. This is my life now; I don't belong in the Muggle world anymore. Please don't make me have to choose between you and the world I love. I don't want that."

"We won't dear," Mrs Granger replied, taking her daughters hand and giving it a squeeze. "Your father and I are just worried. You didn't expect us to take all this news with a smile did you? But I understand how you feel and I won't make you stay home. Besides, Mr…"

"Black," Sirius said. "Sirius Black."

"Mr Black here has convinced me it would be best if you returned to Hogwarts," Mrs Granger went on, "under your Headmaster's protection."

"I promise you," Harry said, finally looking away from Mr Granger, locking eyes with Mrs Granger, "I won't let anything happen to Hermione. In fact, I'm here today to make sure she stays safe. I don't think it's a good idea for her to be here this summer. Voldemort knows the connection I have with her and I'm sure he won't hesitate to take advantage of it."

"Then what do you suggest?" Mrs Granger asked. Mr Granger seemed to be trying to curb his own emotions by staying quiet and letting his wife handle things.

"We have a safe house," Sirius said. "My house, actually. It's the Headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix, a resistance group dedicated to fighting Voldemort. Only those who know of it's existence and have been given the address by the Secret Keeper can enter it, so it's completely safe. If it's okay with you, we'd like to take Hermione with us when we leave. I know it's short notice, but the sooner the better."

"I'll go," Hermione said.

"Alan?" Mrs Granger said, turning to her husband.

"…Fine," Alan Granger said, running a hand through his hair.

"On another matter," Sirius said, "we don't think it's entirely safe for you either. Voldemort might attack you, just to cause Hermione pain and to get at Harry. At the moment you're house is being watched by two members of the Order, but we're very limited in numbers and its not really ideal for us to keep an eye on you at all times. Dumbledore will be around someday soon to talk about further protection for you."

"Thank you," Mrs Granger said.

"Thank Harry," Sirius said, "He pretty much ordered Dumbledore to assign you protection."

"I see," Mrs Granger said, turning to offer Harry a smile and another 'thank you'.

"It's no problem," Harry said. "Oh yeah, before I forget. Dumbledore wanted me to give you this Hermione," Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out the Head Girl badge, handing it to Hermione with a grin.

"Wow," Hermione breathed, reaching out for the badge. "Really?"

"Yeah," Harry said, "congratulations."

"Well done dear," Mrs Granger said.

"Wow," Hermione repeated, putting the badge in her pocket.

"Right," Harry said, "so, ready to go now? Like Sirius said, the sooner the better."

"Yeah," Hermione agreed, standing up, "come help me pack?"

"Sure," Harry said, standing as well.

"Excuse me," Sirius said, getting Mrs Granger attention. He held up a half eaten biscuit. "Anymore of these? They're great."

"Oh yes," Mrs Granger said, smiling, "they are aren't they? Come on, theirs some in the kitchen."

Mrs Granger led Sirius into the kitchen as Hermione left the room, Harry on her heels. Mr Granger followed and stopped Harry at the bottom of the stairs with a hand on his elbow.

"You look after my girl," he said, "promise me that."

"Of course I will," Harry said. "I promise."

Mr Granger nodded and went to join his wife and Sirius in the kitchen. Harry watched him go, before following Hermione, meeting her at the top of the stairs. She gave him a wide smile and a quick kiss, before dragging him into her room.

(----)

Piccolo999