Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter; it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Hey guys. Gasp, I hear, he's alive! Yes, I'm still alive. Sorry for the uber long wait on this. I just felt burnt out with Harry Potter and I needed a break. But I'm back now and ready to finish this fic. I hope you enjoy the chapter and I'm looking forward to reading all your reviews. Thanks for your patience.

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord Chapter Thirty-Three

In the aftermath of the battle with Voldemort, there was a lot of mourning, for a lot of people, but for Harry and company, as cold as it sounds; only one death mattered to them.

There would be a ceremony held at Hogwarts to honour those who gave their lives so bravely to rescue the Grangers. That ceremony would take place tomorrow.

Right now, Harry and Hermione coupled together in Slytherin's chamber, unconsciously trying to create life in a time of death. The velvet green sheets rose and fell rhythmically with Harry's thrusts, accompanied by the pleasurable moans of delight issuing from Hermione's mouth.

In the aftermath of their union, they lay side by side on their backs, staring up at the reptilian fresco on the ceiling.

'I feel horrible,' Hermione said into the silence.

'Thanks,' Harry replied sarcastically.

'What?' Hermione was confused for a moment, but only a moment. 'No, that's not what I meant. The sex was great. I mean, it was great. I felt great and I shouldn't have felt great.'

'Hence you feel horrible,' Harry finished for her.

'Yeah.'

'Don't.'

'Why?'

'It's human nature,' Harry said. 'Sex is about creating life. And Ginny… she died. So you feel sad about that, obviously, but your body is telling you in response that you need to create life. Which is why you crave and enjoy the sex.'

'Makes sense,' Hermione agreed, 'but that doesn't make me feel any better about it.'

'You wouldn't be Hermione if it did,' Harry replied.

'It's not just that. It was my fault she was there. If I'd only asked Dumbledore to bring my parents to Hogwarts sooner, none of this would have happened, all those people - Ginny - they never would have died.'

'It's not your fault,' Harry said, even though he knew it was useless. Hermione would always feel responsible, even though she wasn't. It was just in her nature.

'Thanks for saying that Harry, but you know I can't believe that. So many bad things happened, too many, for me to be able to ever forgive myself. Why didn't I ask him?'

'There was no way you could have known what was coming,' Harry defended her. 'No one could have seen it. They were supposed to be hidden away, safely protected, on my orders. Your father goes to great pains to remind me of that every time I see him. According to him, it's my fault.'

Hermione took a deep breath. Harry will never forget how she had reacted when she first learned of her father's blindness. She had cried for him, almost as if she was mourning his death, yet at the same time, she confessed to him later, she was just happy he was safe. The conflicting feelings had rendered her almost speechless for several days.

'He's wrong,' she told Harry now.

'I know.' Harry wasn't the type to take everything onto him. He couldn't afford to weight himself down with pointless guilt. But that didn't mean he didn't care. He took every death and turned it into motivation to end it all. Every death dealt at the hand of Voldemort and his cronies brought them closer to their eventual doom. Harry wouldn't let one life go to waste. He might be ultimately fighting for his revenge, but in death, they reminded him of his mission, and he owed it to them to finish things.

'He doesn't mean it,' Hermione went on. 'He's just angry. You can't blame him.'

'I don't,' Harry conceded.

'My mum loves you,' Hermione pointed out, turning on her side to give him a small smile. 'I think she might try to steal you for herself.'

'Please,' Harry scoffed.

'I'm serious,' Hermione said, giggling, 'she said you're her hero.'

Harry went silent. Hermione frowned at him and shuffled closer. 'Harry? What is it?'

'Ginny called me that,' he finally replied. 'She said I was her hero, because I saved her from Voldemort in the Chamber of Secrets.'

'Oh.'

'I'm no hero Hermione,' he finished.

She moved close, snuggled into his side, and kissed him on the cheek. 'Yes you are. You just say that because you don't want the responsibility.'

'She shouldn't have been there. Damn Draco for not stopping her.'

'She wanted to be there,' Hermione pointed out.

'She was a fool.'

'We're all fools.'

'Hmm,' Harry hummed in thought.

Hermione laid her head on his chest. 'How is Draco?'

'He's Draco.'

'Still hasn't said anything?'

'Nope.'

'How long do you think he'll be like that?'

'Who knows? But I'll tell you one thing.'

'What?'

'When he finally gets his hands on Blaise,' Harry said, 'things are doing to get messy.'

Now that Hogwarts was no longer a school, most of the classrooms had been converted into accommodation for the many witches and wizards seeking sanctuary from Voldemort, not to mention the members of the Order of the Phoenix. The house dormitories were mostly used for the larger families that now lived in the castle. This meant that the students that used to live in those dormitories had more often than not been relocated to one of the converted classrooms.

Seraphina was one of those students. She had an apartment all to herself on the third floor of Hogwarts. It was this former classroom that Neville found himself knocking on, and then being admitted to.

'Hi.' Seraphina welcomed him. 'How're you feeling?'

'About as well as can be expected,' Neville replied, moving over to take one of the comfy little armchairs. Seraphina followed and sat down next to him on the arm.

'You really cared about her, didn't you?' Seraphina commented, and wasn't quite able to keep jealousy from her voice.

Neville didn't notice - he was too caught up in his own anguish.

'We all did,' Neville said. 'Ginny is…. was… a wonderful person. She was the kindest, sweetest girl I've ever met. She didn't deserve to die like… like that… at the hands of that animal.'

'Nobody deserves that,' Seraphina pointed out.

'I'd like to say I can agree with that,' Neville said, and the bitterness in his voice was shocking, 'but I can't. He deserves it, and so much more.'

'You don't mean that.'

'You didn't see her.'

'No, I didn't,' Seraphina conceded. 'But I know you. You're the sweetest, kindest person I've ever met. You don't have that kind of hatred in your heart. I know you don't mean it. You're just upset.'

'Upset?' Neville laughed mockingly. 'Upset doesn't even cover it.'

Seraphina bit down on her lip. She hated seeing Neville this way. He was normally so wonderfully kind that you just automatically believed that nothing could ever awaken this kind of anger. Not even when Mandy Brocklehurst had tried to rape her had he been so angry. Then there was Ginny.

She felt spiteful and petty for thinking it, but she was jealous of the girl, because Neville loved Ginny more than anyone -even more than Seraphina herself, his girlfriend.

And that would always be the case.

'What can I do Neville?'

Neville didn't reply.

Ron was sitting in his usual spot atop the Hogwarts battlements when Luna found him.

He'd been sitting there for several hours now, his mind in turmoil over the death of his little sister. He cursed himself and Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter and everyone else for allowing her to come along. His family had lost too much to Voldemort. He felt like he might go insane if they lost another.

When his family had heard the news, he could hardly bear to look at his mother. It was like losing his father all over again. He'd felt so completely useless, and as was his way, he needed to blame someone.

He chose Draco Malfoy. Deep down, he knew it wasn't really the Slytherin's fault, but his conscious mind would not allow him to acknowledge that at the time. So he had confronted Ginny's boyfriend and demanded to know why - why had he let her go, why didn't he stop her, why didn't he protect her?

When Draco simply stood there looking back at him, silently, with the pain and heartbreak he was feeling writ all over his face, Ron had felt his own pain snap, and he lashed out. He punched Draco as hard as he could and sent the Slytherin down to the ground.

'She's dead because of you,' he had said angrily, glaring down at Draco, and with those words his anger left him. He felt tired and defeated.

Draco had slowly got back to his feet, met Ron's eyes, and looked at him as if to say "hit me again, go on, I deserve it". Ron found he didn't have the stomach for it anymore and simply left.

That was a few days ago.

Ron didn't hear Luna as she joined him. He only became aware of her when she wrapped her arms around his midsection and leant her head down on his shoulder. He shifted his own head to make contact with hers. The two remained like that for a while, grieving together.

'Ginny loved you,' Luna eventually whispered into his shoulder.

'She loved you as well,' Ron mumbled. 'You were her best friend.'

'And she was the best friend anyone could ever hope for.'

Ron kissed Luna's blonde hair.

After a short pause, Luna asked quietly, 'did you see her?'

Ron stiffened. 'Yeah,' he replied gruffly. 'You?'

'Hm.' Yes, but I don't even want to think about it. 'I heard about your fight with Draco Malfoy.'

'It wasn't a fight,' Ron contradicted.

'I suppose it wasn't. Why did you hit him?'

'It's his fault,' Ron said.

'Do you really believe that?'

'I have to,' Ron said honestly.

'Why?' Luna tightened her hold on him.

'Because if I don't, I might go insane.'

'I think you'll be fine,' Luna argued.

'Let go please,' Ron said, making to get to his feet.

'Why? Ronald?' Luna did as asked and let go of him. She moved back a few paces and watched as he jumped down from the parapet his was sat on. He started walking back and forth. 'Ronald? What's wrong?'

'Sorry,' Ron said, turning to face her, 'I've just been sitting there for hours now. I really needed to move a little.' He went back to pacing. Luna watched him, a little worried.

'Ronald?' she asked softly. He turned to face her again. 'Are you okay?'

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. 'I don't know,' he said.

'I know it hurts,' Luna said, moving closer. 'I hurt too. But… it gets better.'

'I know,' Ron said, 'I remember.'

'Right.' Luna got even closer. 'You lost your dad.'

'I barely made it through that,' Ron admitted.

Luna stopped in front of him and opened her arms. He stepped into them. She hugged him tightly, as tight as her tiny frame could manage. 'I'm here this time,' she whispered, 'if you want me to be.'

'Merlin yes,' he replied. 'I really do.'

She pulled back to look up at him. He leant down to kiss her. Their lips touched gently at first, but then more urgently. He ran his hands down her back. She grabbed at him. He picked her up easily and gently lowered her to the ground. He knelt above her, she below him, and they looking into each other's eyes. Both knew what was going to happen. Both wanted it. Both needed it.

Ron kissed her again, his hands gently moving to open her robes. She lifted her tiny hands and pulled at the zipper of his jeans. He gazed down at her hungrily. She was lying on her open robes, naked except for her underwear. After opening his fly, she moved her hands to her knickers and hooked her thumbs into the waistband. She lifted her hips and pulled, easing them down and then off. Her body was raised in goosebumps - it was cold atop Hogwarts. He positioned himself over her entrance.

Their eyes locked once more, and remained locked as they made love, the only audience the swirling mass of Pollot Flies dancing in the sky above them.

The next day was witness to every single resident of Hogwarts gathered on the lawn to pay their respects to those who lost their lives during the battle with Voldemort.

The ceremony was beautiful and bittersweet. Dumbledore talked long about the sacrifices that must be made during war, and of the brave people willing to make those sacrifices. The audience was silent as he talked, save for the occasional sob that accompanied the many tears.

Ron stood with his family at the front of the gathering, holing his mother's hand. Luna was beside him, gripping his other hand.

Neville stood with his Gran and Seraphina.

Harry, Hermione, The Grangers, Sirius and Remus converged at the start of the ceremony and remained there throughout. Harry had his arm around Hermione's shoulders.

Draco was the only one standing alone at the back of the crowd. He stared miserably up at Dumbledore, who finished by reading off the names of all those that gave their lives to rescue the Grangers. When Ginny's name was read aloud, Draco turned on his heel and left, heading back up towards Hogwarts.

A feast was held in the Great Hall after the ceremony. Harry found he didn't have the heart for it. To him, it seemed disrespectful for them to be enjoying themselves after all that had happened. Hermione told him it wasn't about enjoying themselves, but about honouring those that had died. He didn't buy it, and left shortly after.

Harry was worried about Draco, so he made his way to the Head's private quarters, hoping to find him there. The grieving Slytherin wasn't there. Sighing, Harry decided to grab the Marauders Map from Slytherin's chamber and find his best friend that way.

On arriving at the secret chamber, he found that wouldn't be necessary. Draco was sitting on the floor outside the hidden entrance, evidently waiting for him. Harry wordlessly approached and hissed the password in Parsletongue. The entrance opened and the two wizards entered.

Draco went to sit on the musty green sofa. He buried his head in his hands. Harry watched him silently for a moment. Comforting someone wasn't his strong point, but this was his best friend, seriously hurting. He felt compelled to at least try.

'Draco,' Harry began.

'Don't,' Draco interrupted him, speaking for the first time since they had brought Ginny's body back.

'Okay,' Harry replied, 'but if you do want to talk, ever, you can talk to me. Or Hermione. Actually, yeah, I'd go with Hermione, she's better at this stuff.'

Draco kind of nodded in agreement.

'So,' Harry said awkwardly, rubbing his shoulder, 'why uh… did you come here?'

'I just want to get away from it all,' Draco eventually replied. 'No offence Harry, but will you piss off? You can sleep with Hermione in the Head's chambers.'

Harry glanced to his right at a certain door, a theory occurring to him. He looked back at Draco, who looked up and met his eyes. Understanding sparked between them. Harry sighed. 'You sure?'

'Never been surer.'

'Be careful,' Harry warned.

Draco nodded.

With one backwards glance; Harry left Draco alone in Slytherin's chamber.

Draco remained seated on that sofa long after Harry had left. Silent tears clouded his eyes, but he refused them. Crying was useless. It wouldn't bring her back. It wouldn't avenge her death. Only one thing would do that - action.

And Draco was going to take that action.

Hardening his shoulders, Draco thrust himself upwards and propelled himself towards the door to Slytherin's library. He stopped, his hand hovering over the knob, and then, gripping it firmly, he turned and pushed the door open.

The library was dark. Draco didn't care. It suited his mood. He walked to the nearest shelf, reached up, and grabbed a book. It didn't matter which. He would read them all. He would remember every spell. And he would avenge Ginny's death.

The door to the library finally closed behind him, shutting him in with the darkness.