Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord by Piccolo999
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Year of Discord

Piccolo999

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter; it belongs to JK Rowling, etc etc.

Authors Note: Just a short chapter - a special little Harry/Hermione interlude. Hope you guys enjoy.

Harry Potter and the Year of DiscordChapter Nineteen

When Thursday night arrived, Harry was ready to make things up to Hermione. He had spent the first few days of the week trying to decide how to make it up to her and whether or not to tell her the truth about his nightly excursions. Once that was all settled he just had to find the right time to approach her. He figured her birthday would be the best.

So it was that Harry arrived at the Heads common room. Draco was waiting for him outside and quickly allowed him access, leading him into the spacious sitting area. The Head Girl's door was closed.

'She's in her room,' Draco said.

'How has she been?' Harry asked with concern.

Draco made a thoughtful expression. 'Well, to say it's her birthday, she's been pretty depressing.'

Harry nodded, having expected as much.

'Just go in and say your sorry and shag and you'll all feel better, trust me.'

Harry gave a low chuckle. 'That the Draco Malfoy solution?'

'It always works for me.'

'Why don't you try that with Ginny then?' Harry suggested it lightly, speaking over his shoulder as he approached Hermione's bedchamber.

'Wish I bloody could,' Draco mumbled, but Harry wasn't listening anymore.

Standing outside her door, Harry knocked lightly. 'Hermione? You awake?'

He heard a faint fumbling sound, then quick footsteps that came to an abrupt stop. 'Hermione?' he tried again when she didn't open the door.

After only a moments pause, she opened the door. He had never seen her looking so worn before. Her hair was a frizzy, tangled mess, framing a splotchy face. Dark circles ringed her eyes. She was wearing nothing but a pair of bunny pyjamas. Though all this suggested she was missing him, she still looked up at him with an impassive face.

He gave her a rather shaky smile. 'Hey,' he tried. 'Can I come in?'

She regarded him with her blank face, and then turned to the side to let him in. Shutting the door behind him, Hermione considered him with arms crossed.

Harry took a deep breath to steady himself - apologising wasn't something he was used to. 'First, I… I want to apologise, for lying to you and for not telling you what I was doing. I'm really sorry Hermione. Hell, I was sorry while I was doing it.'

'Then why did you?' Hermione challenged him, still not uncrossing her arms.

'I wanted to protect you from what I was doing,' Harry said.

'You don't get to decide that though,' Hermione said.

'I know that,' Harry said, with a sigh, 'but it wasn't just about you either.'

'What do you mean?'

'I was afraid of what I'd do if something happened to you,' Harry replied honestly, lowering his eyes to the floor. 'If I get mad, that's when my magic gets out of control. I blasted Snape across an entire corridor just for trying to touch something that wasn't his. I don't want to even imagine what I would do if someone hurt - or Merlin forbid, killed - you.'

Hermione was silent for a moment. 'It really scares you, doesn't it?' she asked. 'Losing control.'

'It terrifies me,' Harry admitted quietly.

Hermione finally uncrossed her arms, moved towards Harry, and wrapped her arms around him. 'It's okay Harry,' she whispered in his ear. 'I know you, and you won't let it take control. You're so strong. Stronger than your magic.'

'I'm so sorry Hermione,' Harry nearly sobbed, burying his face in her shoulder.

'Hey, it's okay,' she said, rubbing his back, 'I forgive you. Don't worry about it.'

'I have something special planned for your birthday,' Harry said, 'will you come with me? I promise I'll tell you everything when we get there.'

'You planned something for my birthday?' Hermione asked with surprise.

'Yeah,' Harry said, 'I wanted to show you how sorry I was. I did my best with it, so I hope you like it.'

'Okay,' Hermione said, pulling back and giving him a soft smile, 'just let me get cleaned up.'

'Don't,' Harry said, moving her frizzy hair out of the way gently, 'you look fine.'

'I'm a mess,' she argued.

'You're always beautiful to me,' Harry argued back.

Hermione couldn't help but smile at that. 'Thanks, but you don't have to be so complimentary. I've already forgiven you.'

'I'm serious Hermione,' Harry said, 'you really don't need to change a thing. Let's just go.'

'Not even my bunny PJ's?' Hermione asked, with a little bit of an impish grin.

'Especially not those,' Harry said, returning the grin.

'Well, you better have brought your cloak, because there is no way I'm going walking around Hogwarts in my PJ's!'

Harry held up his Invisibility Cloak.

'So where are we going?'

'The Room of Requirement,' Harry replied, slipping the cloak over Hermione.

When they arrived outside the hidden room, Harry walked back and forth three times, thinking about what he had arranged earlier, while Hermione remained invisible underneath the cloak. On his third pass, the door appeared, and Harry led Hermione into a scene out of every girls fantasies.

'Amazing,' Hermione breathed, gazing out at the sparkling blue ocean. She dug her bare toes into the warm white sand and removed the cloak, stepping into the "room" with unhurried movements. Harry closed the door and watched as it vanished, leaving the illusion that they where standing alone on an empty tropical island. Palm Trees dotted the coastline for as far as the eye could see. Two large blankets had been placed before them, on which rested a single picnic basket. 'How did you do this? I never knew the room could transform into something like this.'

'Neither did I,' Harry said, 'until I tried.'

Hermione turned around to look back at the Palm Trees. 'Where did the door go? How do we get out?'

'It'll re-appear when I want it to - don't worry. Just relax and enjoy.'

'A picnic? Did you have Dobby make it again?' Hermione asked, sitting down on the blankets and crossing her legs. She began riffling through the contents as Harry joined her on his knees.

'Actually,' Harry said, rubbing his hands together sheepishly, 'I kind of made this one myself - with Dobby's help. I didn't want to poison you, but I thought…you know.'

Hermione beamed. 'You made it yourself? That's so romantic. Thank you Harry.'

'Don't say that until you try it,' Harry said, unable to keep a blush from colouring his cheeks.

'I'm sure it will be delicious,' Hermione said, leaning over to give him a kiss on the cheek. She began to pick out bits of the food, laying each one on the blanket on which they sat. Harry watched her with a smile, glad that he had been able to make her happy.

They spent the next few minutes in silence, sharing the food out between them, sitting with arms wrapped around each other, sometimes lying down and looking at the flawlessly blue sky. Hermione settled her head on Harry's chest, nibbling absently on a bit of apple.

'Hermione?'

'Mmm?'

'Do you want your present now?'

She sat up immediately and turned to look down at him with wide, pleasantly surprised eyes. 'You got me a present as well?'

Harry sat up. 'Yeah,' he said, 'sort of, anyway. It's actually… well, here.' Harry riffled through his pockets before presenting her with a perfectly square box. Hermione took it with care, examined the outside, and then flipped open the lid of the box. She let out a gasp at the contents. Inside was a wonderful white gold ring, with two small diamonds surrounding a bigger one in the middle. She reached in and gently removed it from the cushioned box.

'Do you like it?' Harry asked.

'It's beautiful,' Hermione whispered.

'Erm,' Harry said, 'I suppose now would be the time to tell you what I've been up to.'

Hermione stopped short of putting the ring on, looking up to meet Harry's eyes. She nodded in agreement and settled back to listen as he began to explain. When he was finished, she reached out and took his hand with the one not holding the ring. 'You should have told me from the beginning.'

'I know,' Harry said. 'Anyway, if you want to help, then you can.'

'I can?' Hermione was a little surprised to hear him say this.

'I bought you the ring a while ago, for your birthday, but I never knew how useful it would turn out to be. See, I charmed the ring with my most powerful Disillusionment Charm. To activate it, all you have to do is cast your own, and it'll automatically respond. You'll be practically invisible with that ring on. That way I don't have to worry about you being hurt.'

'You think I can't handle myself? 'Hermione asked, trying not to sound too hurt, but taking her hand back at the same time.

'No,' Harry replied immediately. 'I don't mean that at all. You're more than capable, but the fact is, if you do bump into them, you'll be dealing with four Death Eaters. It's not good odds.'

'Oh,' Hermione sounded, thinking it over. 'I suppose that makes sense.'

Harry sighed wearily. 'I'm sorry,' he said, 'I guess that wasn't such a great present after all.'

'No,' Hermione said forcefully, 'it was. Really. I love the ring. It's beautiful. And… the charm was very thoughtful. I was just being… I was over-reacting. I'm sorry Harry. Thank you very much.'

'Honestly?' Harry asked, trying not to sound too hopeful and needy.

'Honestly,' Hermione replied. She reached out again and gave his hand a squeeze. 'I'm sorry for what I said to you. You're not like him. Not at all.'

'I was being like him though,' Harry said. 'So, I don't blame you, and you don't have to apologise for anything.'

'I shouldn't have said it though.'

'It doesn't matter,' Harry said, 'I just want to forget it, okay? Let's just move on, okay?'

'Okay.' Hermione fiddled with the ring in her free hand. 'Will you put in on?'

'Of course,' Harry replied, taking the ring back. Hermione extended her left hand.

'Where do you want it?'

She gave him a shaky smile. 'My ring finger?'

Harry looked up into her eyes, searching her face for sincerity. 'Your ring finger?'

'You know what that means, don't you?' Hermione asked, her hands visibly shaking.

'Isn't that… where you… put an engagement ring?' Harry could barely get the words out he was that blown away.

Hermione giggled. 'Yes,' she said. 'But you can relax. It's also for promise rings as well.'

'What's a promise ring?' Harry asked, relaxing a little.

'It's exactly what it sounds like,' Hermione went on to explain, 'a promise ring is a promise to someone. It can mean anything. Sometimes people just give them to signify that they are in a serious relationship. I won't lie though. Generally, promise rings that are worn on your left ring finger tend to indicate pre-engagement. You don't have to put it on that finger - I was just… I don't know… being silly. How about - ' she was stopped abruptly as Harry slid the ring onto her left ring finger.

'Like that?' he asked, not taking his eyes of her face as she studied the ring.

'Yes.'

'I love you Hermione.'

'I love you too, Harry. Thank you.'

Hermione choked on a sob of happiness, however she was unable to stop the tears from leaking out of her eyes. Harry quickly closed the distance, wiped them away, and kissed her. They made love that night on the sandy tropical beach, the sky turning black above them, and the stars bathing them with twinkling lights.

Authors Note: How terribly sappy, I know, but I couldn't help myself. I can actually feel my manliness slipping away. Oh well. Hope you enjoyed it.