Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could have been by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could have been

leedee

Chapter 13

-

Harry still had his eyes closed as the driver said:


"The hotel," he opened his eyes and snapped out of his half trance. He looked down at their laced fingers and didn't want to let go. But shortly after hearing Hermione's car door open, he felt her pull her hand from his. He paid the driver and walked after her into the hotel.

He nodded curtly to the man at the front desk and then walked into the lift where she was holding the doors for him.

"What's wrong?" she asked and pressed the button.

"Nothing," he mumbled.

She grabbed his elbow and turned him to face her.

"Honestly Harry, I hope you are not in this mood because of what happened,"

He yanked it free.

"Of course I am, do you know what could have happened?" he got pale as he spoke the words.

"Of course I do, I believe I know more than you can ever," she said and looked into his eyes. "But nothing happened and I have been in worse situations." He looked down at his feet - what the hell did that mean? "And frankly, I think there is just one solution to this," she said after a few moments.

She didn't really get what was going on with Harry, but she didn't like to see him sulk. Well honestly, it wasn't the sulking that bothered her, it was the sad look on his face.

"What?"

"Hey," she snapped, "Don't take that tone with me. I think that some support is needed after this evening,"

He looked up at her and grinned at her, he knew she was just playing him. "How is that?" he asked.

"Well you should take me out, wine and dine me. Get my mind off this evening of course," she grinned.

"Wine and dine?" he asked and tilted his head. He looked at the naked skin behind her ear and let his eyes trail all down her naked shoulder. She was just trying to distract him of course, he knew that - but it was just far too easy to be distracted by her.

"That's right," she said, but it sounded more like a whimper than she had intended.

His stare hadn't gone unnoticed by her and she felt a bit weak in the knees. The truth was that she was a bit annoyed with him for acting like she was such a victim at the bar. Sure, she was the one more under threat than him, but she wasn't an innocent lamb. She had some tricks against the wolves.

But she couldn't bring herself to stay upset about it. Seeing Harry as miserable as he looked was just unbearable.

He looked up and met her eye and she smiled. He took a step towards her and without being able to control herself she inhaled and held her breath. He was close enough to be considered too close, but not close enough to be invading her personal space too much.

"I'd love that, "he whispered. She could almost taste the whiskey on his breath, even though he had just taken one single sip. It tasted sweet.

The lift's door opened with a ding and they turned to look. The corridor became clear and they could see two men waiting at their doors.

Hermione gasped in shock but Harry put his hand calmingly at the small of her back.

"Don't worry, that's Viktor Krum!"

-

So much for wining and dining, Hermione thought and felt like a resentful child. She walked towards the two men. Both were very large and she could guess who Viktor Krum was. He had a very confident stand, and the other man looked like he was his bodyguard or something like it.

"Finally," he yelled out, "You, Harry Potter is not easy to find!"

Hermione walked close next to Harry as they approached.

"Viktor!" Harry said and extended his hand.

"We have been waiting for three days, and then we hear you have been seen in such a bad part of town," Viktor shook his head and laughed. "And you must be Hermione," he extended his hand to Hermione. She took it and he shook it forcefully.

Harry looked between them, he was sure Viktor didn't remember Harry from school.

"You have a very beautiful sister," Viktor added and leaned down and gently kissed Hermione's hand. Harry frowned.

"So, where do we go now?" Harry asked annoyed.

"Now my friends, I take you to my home. We eat, talk, feast and rest. And you have many letters waiting for you. And I have many questions!"

-

Hermione sat with Harry in the backseat of a car; they were both hooded and had no idea where they were going. Hermione felt Harry's slight hesitation at this, but he had obeyed and this had assured her. He knew Viktor a bit, he must know if he could be trusted. When she twitched a bit after the first five minutes he had placed his hand on top of her on her leg and she had calmed. It had remained there for the rest of the journey.

"Ah, here we are," Viktor exclaimed and the next moment the hoods were yanked of their heads. Hermione gasped.

They were approaching a castle, not a castle like Hogwarts, this was much smaller- but still a castle.

"This is your home?" she asked. Viktor turned and grinned at her from the front seat, obviously content with her aw.

"You like?" he asked.


"It's beautiful," she stated and looked sideways at Harry. He looked out his window, not meeting her eye.

It truly was amazing, it was dark out so she couldn't see the castle as it looked in daylight. But they were driving up a long winding road up a hill, on both their sides large falcons of light were lit, and the castle looked like a medieval fort.

She had never seen anything like it, short of Hogwarts of course.

When the car finally stopped four young women were waiting, next to four older men.

The door was opened for Hermione and she hated to admit it, but she felt dazzled by the current events. She turned to Harry again but he seemed to refuse to look at her, he was staring at Viktor now.

"Will you my dear ladies show Hermione to her room, and help her get ready for dinner. And you two can help Harry to his," Viktor said and gestured for the girls.

Hermione looked quickly at the girls ordered to help Harry. They were pretty and her mind quickly wondered. Stepping into Viktor's world felt like stepping back in time and she knew very well what chambermaids had done in the past.

Don't be so bleeding judgmental," she cursed to herself.

She met Harry's eyes and he looked questioningly at her.

"Where will she be?" he demanded and turned to Viktor.

"Your sister will of course be in the room just next to yours. But I just thought we could have a word first…" it wasn't a demand, it was a question. Harry nodded and Hermione felt that Viktor had insulted her a bit.

"See you soon," Harry said and she nodded, turned around and left.

-

"This is your room Madame," the girl said and opened a door for Hermione.

She contained her gasp this time, now a bit more prepared. What was before her was pure luxury. At least in her eyes!

A large four-poster bed was centered in the room, colorful and see-though hangings were all around it.

There were sofas on one side of the room, gathered around a large table set with many fruits, cheeses and crackers. On the opposite side of the room was a large lowered bath, candles everywhere. It reminded her of the stories she had read about royalty in the old days. Aladdin, harem, princess… these were all words that came into mind!

She turned and looked at the girls who were now smiling at her.

"Wine - here," the dark red haired girl said and gestured to the round table with many bottles and glasses.

"Fruits and berries here" the black haired girl said and walked over the sofas.

Hermione had to stop and look at them for just a moment. There was an enormous crackling fire in the corner of the room and a large rug on the floor. She walked over to the wall and touched it gently, it was an oak wall but something was carved into it - small patterns all over.

"Gold," one of the girls nodded happily at her.

"Gold," she whispered and traced her finger in the pattern. She couldn't turn away.


"Everything okay Madame?" the red haired girl asked.

"This room is lovely," Hermione said and turned to look around the room again. All around the lowered bathtub were long white candles.

"Clothes in closet," the same girl said and gestured to the closet. "Dinner in two hours," she added and with a bow she and the other girl started to back away.

"Wait-" Hermione gasped and they stopped. "Where is Harry… my brother?" she added.

"He is taken care of," they smiled and Hermione felt uncomfortable. Was he with those other two beautiful women who had met them?

"In his room?" she asked and pointed to the adjoining room.


"Not know," the red haired girl answered honestly and then they left.

Hermione looked around the room. The room was very overwhelming and she couldn't help but think that it might be too overwhelming, made to confuse her, distract them maybe? But then again… she knew Harry was rich. Maybe this is what he'd expect. If she was Harry's sister, she might have expected the same thing? Or not?

She walked into the bathroom and saw a solid glass shower, she caved and walked into it.

-

She looked down at the large makeup table in front of the mirror. What a change from the last time she had looked into a mirror. She was still in her robe, not sure what to wear. Now she had so much makeup, lotions, perfumes, appliances to put on.

She walked back to the wardrobe and looked through the items in there. They were ranging from evening, suits, casual and cocktail dresses. She reached inside and grabbed a black cocktail dress. There were five different hanging next to each other but she took the one who felt mostly like "her."

She put it on and then walked back to mirror.

She noticed that her hands were trembling as she reached for the hairbrush. She felt like an animal in a cage.

She thought about how Mad-Eye had told her that this wasn't a holiday, she wasn't even allowed to bring a dress. Now here she was with more fancy dresses to chose from than she had ever seen in her life!

-

Harry pulled out the suit out of his wardrobe. He wanted to meet Hermione as fast as possible; he had no idea where she was or if she was okay. He had gathered that the situation was a bit overwhelming for her and he wanted to make sure she was all right. He had expected their welcome like this, the obligatory polite gesture held by Viktor to greet them, but he was sure there would be few people there. They wouldn't want too many people to know that they had arrived.

Harry was soon sitting in one of the dining rooms of the castle. It was a long table set for around fifteen people. The walls were covered in paintings and large chandeliers were above them. It felt very formal and correct. He had been offered drinks in his room, but he had insisted to be brought down as soon as possible.

Viktor sat next to Harry and he leaned over and spoke to him.

"I am sorry about the way you are received here tonight,"

"What do you mean?" Harry asked and glanced over at the door again, Hermione still hadn't arrived. He fingered the edge of his glass impatiently.

Viktor nodded at a few older men sitting at the end of the table.

"I mean how formal this is, it is just that they are friends of Albus Dumbledore and they want to see who has been sent. So after they leave, tomorrow, we can have a proper celebration. We will eat and drink like we deserve," he winked at Harry and he smiled back.

"So who exactly are they?" Harry asked and looked over at the two older men.

"They are some of the most powerful people in magic Bulgaria. They are not very trusting, and they wanted to see you."

"But why?" Harry asked. "Don't they trust Dumbledore?"

"Sure, but you know how it is. Trust is a difficult thing these days…"

Harry knew this well. He and Hermione were still there as brother and sister, they didn't tell anyone about their true lives or stories.

"Ah, here comes your lovely sister!" Viktor said and nodded towards the door.

Hermione walked carefully through the entrance. Harry's heart beat faster. She looked absolutely stunning in her black tight dress. He had never seen her like that.

She found his face at the table and hurried over, it was quite endearing how nervous she looked.

"Am I late?" she asked and sat down next to him.

"Not at all dear," Viktor said and waved at a waiter that came running with a glass of champagne for her.

"Are you okay?" Hermione whispered at Harry who still hadn't spoken.

"You look very pretty," Harry stuttered and she smiled warmly at him.


"Thank you Harry."

She felt her cheeks getting a bit pinker and looked away.

An entrée was set before her and she looked suspiciously at it. Harry snickered at the look on her face.

"It is beet soup," he answered and started eating. The last thing Hermione wanted was to seem ungrateful or impolite so she did the same, however she was not fond of the dish.

As the lamb main course was set before them her stomach growled more appreciatively.

"So Mr. Potter," one of the older grey haired men said and everyone at the table went quiet. "What is it exactly you and your sister have come to tell us?"

Hermione looked up and met the older man's eye; he looked very suspiciously at them.

"Sergei, let them at least finish their dinner," Viktor said firmly.


"Viktor, we have waited here for three days for them. We need to return to our homes," the man apparently named Sergei answered.

"I am sorry that you have been waiting, "Harry started, "but I think, that us being stopped from reaching you is proof that Britain's problems are spreading wider over Europe." Harry said.

"Yes, we have many proof of this," Viktor agreed.

"We can not be sure of that." Sergei and Hermione looked at the other man. He hadn't spoken and she wondered why, but realized that neither had she.

"I think we shall be prepared to send our people to war," Viktor said and a loud murmur erupted around the table. Hermione noted that Harry nodded agreeably.

"War? This might not even be true!" Sergei said, "Tomor, what do you think?" he turned to the man next to him.

"I think we have gone too far to avoid war. We receive word from around Europe that more people are joining the Death Eaters; we know it has happened here. We need to stop it before we reach the same level as Britain-"

"It could never happen in Bulgaria," Sergei objected.

"With all respect," Harry cleared his throat, "But that's what everyone thought about Britain as well. When Voldemort and his men struck it happened fast and hard, I believe they are planning the same within all the local authorities. I implore you to not hesitate, before lives start being lost here - as in Britain."

His words sent shivers up Hermione's spine.

"What do you think Hermione?" Viktor said and turned to Hermione.

"I know Harry is right," she spoke carefully. "It was obvious that all exits out of Britain are monitored, we were nearly killed coming here. The Death Eaters have never been so afraid of letting information out of Britain. And Voldemort himself has not been seen in weeks, something is happening!"

She thought about the attacked camp but knew better than to tell too much information.

"I will send my men and women, those who wish to battle," Tomor said and drank from his wineglass.

They only stayed around the dinner table for another thirty minutes. The older gentlemen were eager to return to their homes, and Harry and Hermione wanted to rest.

As they started to rise Viktor turned to Hermione.


"I trust your brother will escort you back to your room, or would you like me to walk you?" he asked and smiled cockily.

"She'll be fine," Harry said quickly and grabbed her elbow, starting to steer her away before she could answer for herself.

They thanked Viktor for dinner and then walked together down the stone corridors to their room.


"Can you believe this castle?" Hermione asked and looked around.

"Hogwarts is ten times this castle," Harry said.


"Of course, but this is his home!" She stopped and looked at a painting. The man in the painting was looking right back at her.

"Don't stare, it is rude!" the man scolded her and she quickly pulled back.

"Sorry," she mumbled and started walking again.
They walked quietly for a few moments, Hermione glanced up at Harry. The torches along the wall made him look golden; he looked good in that light.

Much faster than she had wished they reached their doors.

"Is your room nice?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I'd guess it is pretty much the same as yours," he answered and turned to her. She almost wanted to ask him in… just to make sure of course.

"So, we made it. How does it feel?"

"Good," she had to admit.

"Yeah it was bit tiring there for a while."

They looked at each other and both were silent. Hermione looked at his mouth and the dancing shades from the torches on his face.

"Maybe I should come inside and check that the room is safe," Harry whispered. He reached out and again put a strand of hair behind her ear. The first time he had done it, it had made her stomach flutter. Now, it made it dance and do summersaults - instead of getting used to it, she seemed to become more affected each time he did this.

"Yes, maybe you should" she answered and didn't even feel offended by the indication that she wouldn't be able to check her own room. He left his hand near her face, gently stroking her cheek. She closed her eyes and leaned into it.

"Uhm-Uhm," someone said and they both turned around quickly, both looking caught in the act. They were supposed to be brother and sister after all.

"What?" Harry asked a bit too hard. He hated that their moment had been ruined.

"Sorry sir, miss, but I have your letters!"

The young lady handed them their letters, well letter, in Hermione's case.

"Thank you," Harry said and looked at Hermione. She was very aware of the young girl still looking at them.

"Well goodnight then," she said and hastily entered her room.

-

-->