Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could have been by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could have been

leedee

Chapter Thirty-One

-

Harry wished Marcus Flint and Miles Bletchley weren't there with them. He wanted to be able to speak freely to Ron. The light had just gone down in the joint and Harry had no idea where he might see her. When the lights turned on he saw her at once. For just a moment she had been standing still before she got busy making drink and waiting tables. He honestly didn't know what to do with himself, one part of him wanted to run up and hug and kiss her. The other wanted to rescue her from this awful place, his third part knew he had to play along with this "fake" world. He knew he would play along, he knew himself too well.

He felt Ron's hand hit him hard on the leg.

"Yeah I know, Harry thought that was hilarious!" he boomed and looked pointedly at Harry. "I remember Harry, when you told me about that troll who came to the shop… they're just awful aren't they… trolls!" he said and raised his eyebrows.

"Awful!" Harry agreed and turned to Marcus flint.

Ron looked over his shoulder and saw Hermione, he quickly looked back at Harry.

"Alright?" he asked him under his breath.

Harry smiled a very fake smile at him.

"And then I cursed him!" Marcus laughed loudly and they both turned to him, "he couldn't walk for weeks, I don't even know if he survived!" he chuckled and Harry's attention snapped back to reality. Oh how he wanted to curse this Death eater out of this world. "We need drinks!" Marcus said, "Let's get one of those bitches over here!" he looked over at Angelina and hurriedly added "No offence of course," she smiled kindly at him.

"No, I'll get drink, I need to stretch my legs anyway," Ron suggested.

"Why?" Marcus asked suspiciously.

"Got to check out the girls closer," Ron acted like he was caught in the act, shrugged his shoulder and walked away.

-

Hermione slowly put the drinks down, careful not to spill. She didn't dare turn and look at Harry again, but was it really him? She had imagined seeing him so many times… but …yes he looked so much like him… Her mind rambled on as she walked back to the bar. She should have looked at the people around him, but her stare had been locked…

"Excuse me?" a voice said behind her and she spun around. She met a pair of blue eyes and wanted to cry aloud. Ron was standing in front of her.

She knew she should answer, but she just swayed slightly at the spot. She turned to the side and saw Eloise watching her.

"Can you recommend something good?" Ron asked.

"A drink?" Hermione replied.

"That would be lovely," Ron said, "but I have this one!" he nodded down to his own drink. Hermione looked down and nodded. Okay so he had a drink, what was she supposed to now? She glanced over at Harry's table again but the lights had moved.

"Oh lord, so sorry!" Ron said and Hermione looked down. Ron had spilt a whole glass of red wine over her.

Her mind raced. She turned to Eloise and gestured down and mouthed : have to change!

She was barely aware of the thought behind the reaction as she hurried to the dressing room. The dressing room was completely empty now and she whimpered aloud from stress. The breath she had held felt painful as it left her. She slumped down on the closest makeup table and with one hand she clutched her chest and with the other her throat. She knew she just had seconds alone before someone would come looking for her.

Thank Merlin and all wizards for Ron helping me get a moment to think, she thought and took a deep breath.

So he was here, he Ron and… whoever she hadn't seen in the dark. She had to play her part, she had to sharpen up!

She reached for some new fishnets and threw the old ones away. With a wet wash cloth she cleaned the drying wine away from her legs and she yanked her boots back on.

You can do this! she told herself and opened the door back out to the club.

Ron was still at the bar. She walked back over.

"So you didn't order yet?" she asked.

He shook his head and she willed herself not to look around. Her instinct was to look for Harry, and her other was to look for Blaise or anyone else who might be looking at them,

"What can I get you?" she whimpered quietly. Ron smiled.

"Get us anything, so glad to see you!" he added in barely a whisper. He turned and walked away. Hermione turned to Eloise.

"What did they want?" she asked. Hermione turned back to their table and quickly counted, there was Harry, Ron, Angelina, Marcus Flint and Miles Bletchley.


"Five pure's", Hermione answered and grabbed a dirty glass and pretended to clean it. Even here she wasn't allowed to use magic and she found comfort in concentrating on the glass.

"Done!" Eloise replied.

Hermione took the tray and felt in trance as she walked towards their table. Harry was keeping his eyes fixedly on his half empty drink, and she was glad for it. Meeting his eyes right now would have floored her.

She started setting down the drinks around them, she refused to look as Harry as she did so.

"Pure?" Marcus announced loudly, "I love that. It's my favorite! How did you know?" he turned to Ron.

"It's mine as well of course!" Ron answered and laughed. Hermione looked between them.

"Can I get you anything else?" she said in a weak voice.


"Marcus, Harry!" a loud voice shouted out and Hermione closed her eyes. It was Blaise, he was coming to greet them and he would want Hermione to remain incase they needed anything. Hermione swayed slightly, she dug her high heel down in the floor trying to find her balance.

"Yes you are excused," Ron said in a rude tone to her. She bowed to him and very gratefully walked away.

-

"You should have kept her here!" Blaise said as he took one of the empty chairs. "It's so handy to have a waitress close." He looked around and hurriedly added "But look, you won't have to worry. You'll be tended to properly!"

"Yes," Harry said, "That was why we came here, we know you are the one to take care of your customers! Of course we were here at the beginning, but now you are properly up and running. And doing quite well for yourself I can see…" He had felt that it was time to speak, he couldn't be quiet forever.

"Damn right!" Blaise answered. Harry kept his eyes on Hermione as she walked back to the bar and then hurried to another table waiting to be waited.

Marcus, Blaise, Ron and sometimes Harry spoke, they kept the conversation going for quite long. Blaise hardly addressed Angelina and it was obvious that he thought women to be inferior- no matter how pure their blood was. Harry watched Hermione walk over to give drinks to some fairly known minister people. They took the drinks and threw the money on the floor, she had to bend to get them and they all leaned forward to stare at her.

"No, honestly I mean it, which one do you want?" Blaise asked.

Harry snapped back and listened to his and Ron discussion. "You are single right?"

"Sure," Ron answered and Harry knew Ron's mind was on Luna Lovegood who was in hiding.

"So take your pick then, I'll give you anyone you want," Blaise continued, "For free!" Ron laughed politely and Blaise leaned forward to continue.

"I want to make a toast!" Harry interrupted.

"We need drinks then." Blaise smiled. "What do you want Marcus?"

Marcus and Blaise had been in the same house at Hogwarts and were friends, but it was obvious that Blaise thought Marcus was very important because of the fame. The same was for Harry, he was rich and therefore he received much more attention than Ron.

Blaise snapped his fingers and a different girl than Hermione hurried over.

"We want..:" Blaise turned to Harry, "What should we toast with?" he asked.

"Firewhiskey, the best you have!" Harry said and Blaise grinned widely. Firewhiskey of that sort was very expensive and obviously Harry was buying.

The girl hurried over with the drinks and Harry had hardly time to think about what was happening. He had been prepared to see Hermione and the club but actually seeing her had knocked him back.

"To true friends!" he said and raised his hands.

"Pure friends!" Blaise added. "Oh, this song is brilliant!" Blaise added.

The lights went out and all the lights turned to the stage. The girls already started dancing in perfect rhythm again.

"Tonight's theme is strip poker!" Blaise said over the music and in fact the DJ threw down a card, it was engorged by a spell and everyone saw it. It was an ace, and it meant everyone dressed in black had to take something off.

Harry got up and said:


"The loo?" he asked and Blaise nodded distractedly to the side, his eyes fixed at the girl taking off her pants.

-

Hermione hurried between the bar and the wash room. If there were too many dirty dishes Blaise would be too angry. She wanted to get back to her place in the bar quickly. She had seen Harry for just a few fractions of a moment, but still she wanted to hurry back.

She hurried to the kitchen and entered. No one noticed her in there, the room was filled with elves and they were all busy, knee high in dishes.

She placed the tray on a counter and yelled out:

"Here's another one, thanks a lot!" no one answered and she hurried back outside. She was half running to the bar when an arm grabbed her and yanked her hard.

She was tugged into the men's room and she let herself be dragged. Twice before someone had grabbed her like this and she had fought them off, but she wished on this very night that it was Harry dragging her in there.

She opened her eyes and met his green stare and was suddenly gazing into his green eyes.

He covered her mouth with his hand and she didn't resist at all. When the stall door had closed he removed his hand and he was about to speak. Hermione hurriedly raised her hand and shushed him. She pointed around the room and then to her ear. The whole room was bugged and Harry nodded.

He turned back to her eyes and Hermione's knees turned into melting wax again, she felt them giving away. He placed his hand on both sides of her face and he looked like he was trying to tell her something.

She bit her lip in frustration and saw his eyes dart down to her lips.

He lunged forwards, kissing her violently.

She whimpered into his mouth and she ran her hands through his hair violently. His tongue darted into her mouth and she replied willingly. They only had a few seconds and the moments danced by and she recognized the end of a song, she pulled away unwillingly, her body telling her to do the opposite.

Harry looked shocked and surprised. It looked like he had forgotten where they were.

She yanked away from him quickly, she had just seconds before the light would be turned on. Harry looked pleadingly at her and she shook her head fiercely.

She pushed his clasping hands away and hurried away out of the men's room. Tears were filling her eyes as she hurried back out to the bar. The music felt like a hard slap in her face, reality hit her and she gathered herself, hurriedly wiping away her tears as she tried to find her composure.

-

Harry was back at the table now and a new waitress brought over drinks. He kept his gaze away from the bar; he couldn't bear seeing her right now.

"You keep looking at her!" he heard Blaise announce, "You do know she's a mudblood right?" he laughed.

Harry turned slightly startled, he had been caught in the act but saw Ron and Blaise in a conversation, everyone around the table had turned to them.

"What?" Ron laughed and grabbed his beer.

"You keep looking at my waitress, are you hot for her or what?" Blaise said.

Ron looked over at Hermione but refused looking at Harry.

"She's very pretty…" Ron agreed.

"She's yours!" Blaise laughed aloud. "Just as long as you know her origins, just don't tell anyone or hold it against the club!"

Ron started to object when Blaise snapped his fingers. Ron turned to Harry waiting for him to object, but how could he? Before Harry could speak Blaise was snapping his fingers at Hermione and she hurried forward.

"Granger, give him a dance!" he ordered and didn't even look at her.

Hermione's eyes darted to Harry.

"W-What?"

She wasn't being a pain, she honestly wasn't sure what he was asking of her. Blaise turned in anger to her. He slowly moved his hand close to his face and with his index finger gestured that she should approach.

"Granger," he said slowly and looked sternly at her. "I need you to extend you services slightly…" he drawled.

"Okay," she said without breaking eye contact.

"My friend needs a dance and I need you to give it to him," Blaise said and placed his arm around Hermione's waist as she stood next to him. Hermione fought down every urge not to look at Harry.

"Okay," she answered.

"Ron?" Blaise said, "Hermione'll show you the way;" Blaise finished with a very hard slap against her bottom.

Ron got up and walked after Hermione.

"I guess she is a hot piece of ass isn't she?" Blaise laughed aloud.

"If you like your meat very dirty," Marcus laughed. Blaise turned and looked after her and Harry's stomach roiled and his foot started twitching involuntarily.

-

Hermione had only cleaned these rooms, she had never ever been in there with a client. The people who came to the club never want to take the chance asking to receive a dance from a Muggleborn. Sure they asked her to come privately to their room, but that was just a whisper in her ear. She walked towards them and the guard immediately raised his eyebrows. He was about to stop them and then looked over to Blaise who waved them on.

She grabbed Ron's chin and turned him to her, who looked slightly startled as well but he followed her inside.

The room was covered in dark black velvet and small lights magically looking like they were burning, was all round them. To Hermione it looked like the ceiling of Hogwarts.

"What now?" Ron asked as the door closed.

"These rooms are private," Hermione answered and looked towards the bugs around the room as she shoved him down on the seat. Ron saw them at once. "But who knows. Just don't try anything because the guard will check every now and then!" she warned. Ron nodded and sat down; he understood that they had to speak "undercover".

Hermione stepped up on the small revolving table in the middle of the room. Ron clasped his forehead and Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Hey!" she ordered and Ron looked at her. "Keep a conversation with me can't you?"

"Yeah…" Ron mumbled but his eyes darted down to his hands again. Neither of them could forget that Ron had, not too long ago believed that Hermione was the woman of his dreams. He had once told her when he was drunk that he had never seen anyone more beautiful or sexier. The fact that she was now married to Harry was not forgotten in either of their minds. Hermione would have felt deadly ashamed in front of anyone, she was half naked. But now Harry's best friend, her friend was looking at her.

The door suddenly yanked open at the guard peered inside.

"Everything okay?" he grunted. Ron recognized the guard suddenly; it was Gregory Goyle, a boy he had been at Hogwarts with.

"Yeah."

"But he wants a drink;" Hermione filled in. Ron nodded.

"A drink!" he added.

"What?"

"Err.." Ron started.

"I recommend a "Knock", Hermione said and Ron nodded.

The guard slammed the door and hurried away.

"What's that?" Ron asked.

"The most expensive thing we have!" she answered.

"Are you okay?" Ron asked and Hermione nodded. Hermione bent her knees and started to whisper something when the door opened.

"Aren't you a bit dressed?" Goyle asked and gave Ron his drink. He didn't close the door but stayed in the opening and watched her. "Go on now!" he ordered.

Hermione looked slightly panicked between them, all she was wearing was short hipsters and a shirt. It wasn't like she had a lot to choose from… she didn't get another moment to think before Ron turned to Goyle.

"Do you mind?!" he asked angrily and stood up, "I am paying… more than I'd like to say, to be here alone with her. Would you mind not spoiling it?"

Goyle seemed to think about it for a moment before he bowed. It was obvious that he had to think an extra moment about why anyone would pay to be alone with her. He scanned her body and smiled. He had seen Hermione in this bar for weeks, and finally he had the chance to see her naked…. He didn't want to miss it…

"So sorry!" he muttered and closed the door.

Hermione turned to Ron, she had a lopsided smile on her face.

"So you're good?" she asked and he nodded. There was a thump on the door and it made both Hermione and Ron jump.

"What was that?" Ron asked reaching for his drink.

"A warning. It means I better do my job," she smiled.

"Job?" Ron asked and looked at Hermione. She sighed. It was obvious that he wasn't going to make this easier for her. "Is it okay if we just talk?" Ron asked and she smiled kindly at him.


"You're the boss,"

Ron bit his lip, it was clear that he had something he wanted to tell her but he was afraid of being listened to.

"Will we be interrupted again?" Ron said casually and glanced around. Hermione noticed that he was holding on to his drink very hard.

"I doubt it, but I can't promise."

Hermione sat down on the podium and let her legs dangle of the side, close to Ron.

"So, how long have you worked here?" Ron said and drank from his glass.

"A while back, I lost my last job so I heard this was a good place to work."

He nodded thoughtfully. "Is this your first time here, I haven't seen you around?" she added.

"Yeah, we have been away for a while on business, just came back now. So, do you like working here?" he stammered awkwardly.

Ron looked into her eyes, they were filling up and her bottom lip was shaking slightly. It was obvious that she didn't like it, and he didn't want to upset her.

"Here, have some of my drink," he insisted and handed her the glass.

She drank some without answering. "How long will we stay in here?"

"That's up to you," Hermione said. "Some are in here for ten minutes, others for hours."

"Will this make others want to see you dance?" Ron asked and it was obvious that the thought had just dawned on him.

She smiled and downed his drink.


"No, I am still Muggleborn remember."

-

-

-

I have the fastest Beta in the world, thanks Anna!

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->