Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could have been by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could have been

leedee

Chapter Nineteen

-

Hermione was washing her face in a small basin as Harry entered. She turned slightly surprised at someone entering her tent without asking permission.


"Sorry," he said as he walked inside.

"No, of course," she turned to him. "Wow, this isn't what I expected to happen." She took two steps towards him and his warm palms landed on her hips.

"Disappointed?" he asked and leaned down and started kissing her shoulder. His thumbs made small circles on the naked skin just above the line of her pants and he felt her skin prickling as he touched her gently.

"Not in the slightest," she said and tugged at his t-shirt, unwillingly he pulled his lips away from her skin and let her tug the shirt over his head.

Hermione was still in her bra and she pressed her half naked torso against his, she had missed his skin in just the minutes they had been apart. She ran her hands over his chest and gently graced one of his nipples. Harry bit her neck playfully and then spun her around. She leaned her head to the side and his tongue danced up to her ear while he reached for the clasp of her bra.

She closed her eyes and felt the cool air touch her nipples as they were freed from the fabric. They were only cold for a moment because he had soon placed both his hands lovingly over them.

"We are supposed to be eating," Hermione giggled as he bit her ear.

"I'd rather taste your skin," he answered truthfully but thought of a far dirtier reply about eating. He spun her to him again. He kissed her full on the lips and his tongue begged for entrance - she was more then willing to obey.

She took his hand and led him towards the cot on the floor.

Somehow awkwardly they made their way down onto the bed and lying on their side they kept on kissing. They pulled apart and Harry yanked her underwear off her, she followed his lead and they were quickly off. She looked at his naked body, she felt warm from both lust and love. She laid back on her side and slowly leaned forward and gently kissed him.

Harry's hand playfully wandered from her breast, down her stomach and between her legs. She moaned into his mouth as he started touching her.

She opened her eyes and he was looking at her. Without breaking their kiss she let her own hand wander down his stomach and soon she was touching him. They both closed their eyes, kissing feverishly. Finally they both had to pull apart, their breathing too frantic to keep kissing. Hermione leaned her head against Harry's sweaty chest and bit her lip as she came, only a moment later Harry came in her hand.

-

"I'm cold," Hermione mumbled thirty minutes later. They were both half asleep lying in each others arms. Harry pulled her closer. "I'm still cold," she complained and started to get up. He grabbed her arm and pulled her back down.

"Don't," he complained. He dreaded the moment they would have to leave her tent, have to join the others, worst of all, the moment they were out of each others arms. She sat up and soothingly caressed his cheek.

"We have to eat, wash, change," she started and then started to get up again.

"No!" he objected and grabbed her arm once more. This time he grabbed her harder and she fell into his arms again.

"So you just want to sleep and miss our own party?" she giggled.

"Not sleep," he mumbled in her ear and his breath tickled. She contemplated it for a moment, desire already making her hot inside. She felt the familiar burning between her legs and she wanted to give in.

"Harry!" she warned but only half seriously. She was just about to give in when he sighed and said:

"Yeah you are right. We should get ready…"

Hermione sat back up and Harry watched her naked back, the sheet around her waist. She looked dangerously elegant, her light skin almost glowing in the dark.

"Should I make a fire?" she asked.

"Yes," he answered shortly. Just happy to get to watch her a bit longer. He felt like they had missed some kind of bullet or deadly curse. They had been so sure they couldn't be together back home, and yet they had decided against it. They needed to be together and he felt so relieved about it.

Harry saw her lighting matches and he realized that she had given back her borrowed wand in Bulgaria. It made their reality just a bit more real to him but he pushed the thought out of his head.

He watched as Hermione reached for some new underwear in her trunk and then resumed washing herself as she had when he had entered. She had a small mirror tied to the side of the tent and she was watching it as she washed. Harry felt drunk with love watching her. Her beautiful silhouette in the light of the flames made his heart soft.

"You are so beautiful," he said and she turned to him. He was lying on his side, his head propped up on his hand.

"We are not staying in bed," she answered teasingly and shot him a dashing smile. He leaped out of the bed as gracefully as he could; giving that it was placed on the floor and took her in his arms. Forcefully he kissed her and she gave into the kiss immediately.

"Okay if you insist," she said and he laughed at her.

-

When they exited the tent together the celebration was already well on their way and people clapped and cheered at the sight of them. Hermione smiled nervously and Harry laughed, neither of them had ever been greeted like it. Apparently the whole camp had known that they were almost killed and had anxiously waited for news on their survival. They hadn't had time to eat in the tent and both of them turned unknowingly towards the smell of barbeque.

"So good…" Harry mumbled and started walking towards it. He placed his hand lovingly at the small of her back and guided her along, just as she loved when he did.

On the large metal plate laid various meats and vegetables in different combinations on sticks.

They were handed each a large plate overfilled with food and they were sitting down, stuffing themselves hungrily before they knew it.

Ron sat down next to them and handed them both a large glass of mead.

"So bloody happy you're back, you should have known how worried we all were when you didn't get to the hotel or car rental arranged for you," he babbled and drank some beer. Harry could tell he was a bit uncomfortable and that was why he spoke so quickly, it was a habit of Ron's when he was nervous.

"Yeah that was a close one," Hermione agreed and reached for her third barbeque stick.

"I should have been there," Ron thought aloud, obviously envious and Hermione wondered what it was with these two… what made them want action and battle that much? Was it a man thing? She rolled her eyes and shook her head at once.

"Next time you will be," Harry promised and she looked up. Next time? So there would be a next time? Did he mean something in particular? Was he leaving soon? Was there something she didn't know?

She drank from her glass and then got up to talk with some of her own friends. She barely saw Harry for the next hour. Every time she turned to even look at where he was someone had grabbed her and demanded her attention.

Music played softly in the background as she listened to one of the girls tell her that she had gotten engaged. She was soon pulled away from there by Cedric who wanted for the second time to hear how Cho Chang was, and he wanted every detail repeated.

"Honestly Cedric, she misses you just as much as you miss her. Now let me go and get another beer," she laughed and turned around.

"I've got a beer for you," Alastor Moody said serenely and Hermione looked down at his hands. He held two glasses.

"Okay sure Alastor," she smiled uncertainly and followed him as he walked away from the music.

She followed him in silence and she felt in a much poorer mood. She knew pretty much what he would say and she didn't particularly feel like hearing it.

He turned so quickly that she almost bumped into him.


"You've done good Hermione," he mumbled and handed her the beer. She took it reluctantly.

"But…" she offered for him.

He eyed her, his magical eye swirling around a bit extra.

"Don't be smart with me," he snapped at her.

"I'm not being smart Alastor," she thought her own voice sounded weak. "But I know that you didn't want me and Harry…"

"But you did anyway!" he scolded. "Hormones and young minds and all that," he mumbled and Hermione's temper swelled.

"I think you know me better than to just blame my hormones," she scolded back. "Whatever Harry and I chose to do with our lives-"His face lit up with such fury that she silenced immediately.

"With your lives? You might have just ended thousands of lives!"

"W-what?" she asked honestly not understanding what he meant.

"Harry is one of the greatest fighters we have in this war; he can do things no one else can do." Hermione had no idea what he was referring to but she knew better than to ask for clarifications when he was this angry, "and you and the thing you have between you will surely distract him and it might very well lead him off his course."

"Isn't that up to Harry?" she tried to sound firm but her voice was shaking a bit.

"You need to make a choice Hermione, carrying on this thing might cost more than you are willing to pay!" Alastor said seriously.

She looked at his free hand, it was shaking slightly in fury.

"I have made my choice," she finally whispered.

"Wonderful!" he mocked. "You know, he could have been the one to set you free. Not make you a slave anymore."

Hermione looked up startled.

"How can you say this to me?" she asked.

"I am just telling you the truth," he replied and started walking away. Her eyes filled with tears of fury. What the hell did he mean? What did he know that she didn't?

She turned to walk back to the camp when she saw Dumbledore walking towards her. Now what?

She had far too much respect for Dumbledore to ask him to bugger off, but that was just what she felt like. She sighed as he approached her.

"A nut?" he said and she looked up surprised. Did he know what Moody had said to her, but she realized that he was holding another bowl of nuts.

"No thanks," she answered politely and started to walk away.

"Hermione, please." Dumbledore implored and she turned back to him. He gestured at the large oak tree that someone had brought down so it would lay as a bench.

She sighed and sat down.

"Alastor has already-"she started and he interrupted her.

"I know what Alastor believes Hermione, but he doesn't speak for the Order in all matters." She turned and frowned confused at Dumbledore.

"I am not sure I understand," she said tiredly and drank a very large sip of her drink.

She had been in such a good mood and now she felt so annoyed and so very tired.

"I know," he answered and placed his hand on her arm gently "You have much respect for Alastor and therefore his words hurts you."

Hermione felt uneasy, was he reading her mind?


"I am not reading your mind," Dumbledore continued, "but I just thought you should know, that each one of us has to sometimes do what does not favor those we respect the most. We must all make our own choices and whatever it is worth to you, I still believe that love is the greatest blessing. Therefore I truly rejoice for you and Harry. Remember that - What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

Hermione swallowed and thought about what he had said, he sounded like such a poet.

"Thank you," she finally managed to answer.

"No problem my dear. Now, Harry has been looking for you for quite a while. I believe you should give him a dance finally!"

Hermione hurried away from the tree and looked behind her, over her shoulder to see Dumbledore watching the large feast while eating another nut. She felt very mixed about what had happened, she was sad that Alastor so obviously disapproved of her actions, but Dumbledore seemed happy for them.

Harry was standing between Sirius and Ron, laughing loudly when she approached.

"Ah, and here comes the prettiest lady of them all," Sirius held his hand to her and she took it gracefully. "How sad that she has been taken," he joked and Harry pushed him out of the way.

"Are you okay?" he whispered in her ear, reading her expression. She smiled assuring and turned her gaze down in her beer glass. She wondered if anyone had spoken to Harry about them. His friends seemed happy for them but who knew? She doubted that Moody would speak to him about it, he knew Hermione best of the two.

Sirius handed everyone another glass of beer.

"Finally huh?" he yelled out.

"Finally," Harry and Ron answered and cheered their glasses together. Hermione didn't have to ask what they meant. She knew. They weren't happy that Voldemort was moving forwards, they were just happy to finally be able to openly fight against him.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Harry asked again and leaned closer to her. He didn't put his hand around her as he first had intended to and she guessed it had something to do with Ron. She turned and looked over at Cedric sitting with a few of her friends and she wondered if they were talking about it as eagerly as Harry was.

"A bit tired is all," she answered.

"Wanna go to bed?" Harry whispered and when he wiggled his eyebrows so goofily that she couldn't help but laugh.

"We haven't danced yet," she suggested and Ron suddenly started laughing.

"What?" she asked and smiled guessing the answer.

"Harry isn't a very good dancer," Ron said and raised his glass at Harry.

"And you are?" Harry asked back, Ron shook his head gloomily and kept gobbling his drink.

"But I am," Sirius said and wiggled his eyebrows at Hermione.

"Shove off," Harry laughed and pushed Sirius gently in the chest. He grabbed Hermione's hand and lead her to the space were a few people were dancing.

The music changed and the three men and one woman playing started up a new song. It was an old traditional Celtic sounding song.

"This camp really is going back to the medieval days," he joked but the song was luckily much slower than he had feared and Hermione put her hands around his neck.

"They are playing for us," she whispered in his ear, "they all know we are somewhat of an item now, and they have saved the best ballad until we finally dance."

Harry suddenly looked around very self-aware and many, far from all, but still many eyes were on them. The woman started playing the tin whistle.

"What do you mean somewhat of an item?" he whispered into her ear. She pulled back and looked at him. "We are an item aren't we? Or should I start getting jealous about Cedric again?" he joked.

"Oh shut it," she laughed and put her head against his shoulder again.

"Did you have a good night?" he whispered tenderly in her ear.

"Sure, and you?" she asked dismissing the question as fast as she could.

"What's wrong?" he asked, very aware of all the eyes on them.

"I'm just tired."

"Yeah, you already said that." She felt him stiffen. "Is it Moody?"

She marveled at how well he could read her mind already.

"Yes," she decided to answer truthfully. He seemed to relax and she wondered why.

"Forget what he says, he's just against anything non-related to war. You should have heard him when Tonks and Lupin hooked up, he wouldn't stop about it…"

Hermione relaxed a bit.


"Really?"

"Really! You look so wonderful tonight, if all these people weren't watching I would kiss you right now," Harry whispered in her ear.

"What else would you do?" she challenged him.

"I would throw you over my shoulder and carry you to the closest bed."

"And then what?" Hermione asked so close to his ear that she touched his skin with her lips. It gave both of them chills.

The song ended and they looked surprised at each other, it was as if both of them had forgotten that they weren't standing alone in their tent.

"I guess you'll never know," Harry said and joined the others who were clapping their hands at the musicians.

He took her hand and led her back to Sirius and Ron.

-

Moody drank from his bottle standing at the edge of the camp. He eye swirled to the back of his head.

"Albus," he said not hiding his reluctance to speak.

"Alastor," he answered.

"Is this about Potter and Granger?" turned to face him.

"Indeed. You shouldn't have attacked the poor girl like you did."

"She belongs to my camp, I can do as I please."

"Naturally you can." Albus reached Moody now and stood silent next to him for a while. "But Alastor, you are playing with their feelings, you are hurting them, well her. You shouldn't have done that. You shouldn't have said what you said."

"I know what you think," Alastor said dismissively.

"Indeed you do. I just wanted to ask you if this will be a problem for you."

"It won't."

"So you-"

"Yes, I'll get them ready."

-

-->