Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could have been by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could have been

leedee

Chapter 14

--

Granger!

I know you have arrived and that you are safe, that was good to hear.

Get all the information out of Viktor Krum and his people that you can, be careful what you tell them about us.

Everyone here is safe, the camp remains hidden. Remember what we talked about the night before you left. Keep focused, don't disappoint me!

Our goal is what is most important.

Alastor Moody

--

Hermione crumbled the letter in her hand. She remembered very well what Moody had told her before she left. He had all but told her to keep her fingers away from Harry…. that he was too important …that he needed to be focused of the mission. As if she couldn't control herself! She rolled her eyes. There was a knock on the door and she yanked it open.

"Hermione?" Harry was standing in the frame.

She opened it a bit more and saw him holding three letters.

"What was in yours?" he asked and looked down at the crumpled letter she was holding. She looked away.

"Nothing important."

"Well can I come in?" he asked and looked concerned. "And maybe talk about what mine said?"

"Tomorrow okay?" she said and avoided his eyes.

"Are you okay?" he placed his hand on the door and started to push it open.

"I am tired, please Harry. I want to sleep."

She looked up sternly at him.

"Oh, sure. Good night then."

She had started closing the door before he had finished.

Damn it, she thought, why was Alastor telling her to keep away from Harry? Why had he known that she would fall for him?

She leaned her head against the door and angry tears burned the insides of her lids.

-

Hermione was looking out of the window on to the courtyard of the castle. Harry was sitting there with Viktor Krum talking. It was almost lunchtime but she had slept `til now. When she awoke, breakfast was set in her room, but she had never noticed anyone inside. She felt like staying the room forever, Moody's letter had really broken her spirits.

She looked at Harry kicking at a stone while listening to Viktor. She felt a bit affronted that he hadn't awoken her; they were supposed to be on this mission together. But if all she was to be was his sister, than he could have just gone alone.

It was warmer in Bulgaria and the gentle breeze in the open window felt good. Suddenly both Viktor and Harry looked up at her window and she felt foolish for staring at them. They both waved and she waved stupidly back.

-

"Ah, your sister is finally awake!" Viktor said as he waved to Hermione.

"Finally," Harry exclaimed. "She must have been tired."

"Indeed," Viktor said and kept staring up at Hermione. "Well it is no wonder after what you went through coming here!" It annoyed Harry, the way he spoke about her and they way he looked at her made him feel really…hateful. "So you can tell her what she missed this morning. Some of the people in the village are coming this afternoon and it might be interesting for you both to see."

Harry nodded. "I hope you feel welcome to stay here for how long you would like," Viktor added thoughtfully and glanced back up at Hermione's window again, she was long gone.

"Thank you," Harry said pretending not to notice Viktor still staring at her now empty window. Harry soon excused himself and hurried back upstairs to look for Hermione.

-

She was sitting in one of the many sofas' eating her breakfast. She glared a bit at Harry as he entered.

"Morning," he said and sat down opposite her.

"More like lunch isn't it?" she said and nodded to the clock.

"I guess, did you sleep well?"

Why the hell was he so cheerful?

"Why didn't you wake me?" she demanded and almost spilled her tea because she was shaking so much. Harry caught on why she seemed crossed quickly.

"I tried," he chuckled, "but you wouldn't answer the door. You were fast asleep, I didn't chuck you Hermione, honest!" She looked doubtful at him. "Viktor asked for you as well!" he added.

"Really?" she seemed cheerful at this and it annoyed him. Who cares what Viktor Krum wants?

"Yeah, and he is bringing some people for us to meet this afternoon."

"Like who?"

"Some of his spies I think, some of the people he is hiding and a few of the people he helped escape from different parts of Europe. His Bulgarian version of the Order I guess"

"Wonderful," she said truthfully.

Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out a wand.

"W-What?" she asked hesitantly.

"I told Viktor that you lost yours as we were running. So this is a loan one, I thought that now that we are out of Britain you should have one."

Hermione swallowed audibly and looked into Harry's eyes. She had no words.

"You do know how to use it right, you wont loose a foot or anything?" he joked and she reached for the wand.

"You might loose one if you don't shut up," she grinned and gently squeezed the small piece of wood. How could it feel so good in her hand? She had never ever been given a wand- for loan or anything like it.

"I'll let you have some fun with the wand," he said and started to get up. She hurriedly reached out and took his hand when he was half standing.

"Thank you," she said honestly. He squeezed hers back.

"Of course."

"No I mean it Harry, thank you for thinking about me, and getting me this."

Harry stood up and looked a bit embarrassed.

-

Harry departed and Hermione was left alone. She walked around the lavish room. She had never seen anything like it. Sure, she had spent summers in Hogwarts, but Hogwarts was more beautiful than luxurious. This castle was beyond words. She had seen many different portraits of Viktor Krum in Qudditich outfits the evening before and she knew he was Bulgaria's best player.

She walked over to the bath and started running the water. She raised her wand and pointed it to the candles, they flared up at once and she giggled.

She was very familiar with the use of wands. They had practiced on stolen wands since she was started training in the forest, but she had never ever owned her own or been allowed to do what she wanted. She had never even held a wand for more than an hour or so.

She turned to the sofa Harry had just been sitting and said:

"Vingardium Leviosa," without hesitation it went straight in the air.

She smiled proudly. With a bit too loud of a thud she dropped it back to its place. She proceeded in practicing on the various items in the room. Pillows were flying left and right, she made the red blanket blue, the candles lit on and off, turning water into wine and finally she used the wand to make the water in the tub hotter.

It was reluctantly that she let go off the wand to sink down in the tub, but as the hot water surrounded her all thoughts were lost.

She leaned back on the large velvet pillow behind her and drifted away.

-

"Ah, here they come!" Viktor exclaimed to Harry and Hermione. They were standing with him in the courtyard waiting for the smaller group of people approaching. Not until they were quite close did Hermione realize that behind the adults in the front, many young children were walking.

"Zdravei, kak si?" Viktor called out. And the children waved shyly. "Come now, say hello to my friends;" he urged and they peered around at Hermione and Harry.

Hermione waved and kneeled down.

"Are they all refugees?" she asked and looked up at him.

"They are all orphans, they have all been saved from being killed during an attack, or just been left behind."

Hermione looked at Harry and they locked eyes for a moment. They were also orphans!

"Zdravei," she said in broken Bulgarian.


"Ah, very good," Viktor exclaimed. "But you can just say hello, they now a bit of English!"

"Hello, how are you?" a small girl, maybe five years old, said and walked up to Hermione.


"I am good thank you, and how are you?" Hermione answered.

"I'm fine," she grinned and reached out and grabbed one of Hermione's large locks. She started twirling it between her fingers.

"What's your name?" Hermione asked the girl and looked into her deep brown eyes.

"Zora," the girl replied.

"It means dawn in south Slavic," Viktor said and Hermione reached out and caressed the little girl's cheek.

"Nice to meet you Zora," she smiled and caressed her cheek.

"Hello, how are you," Zora answered and blinked.

"I am afraid their English is a bit limited, Viktor laughed.

She looked over the girls shoulder at the rest of the children, there were about ten of them, and all were under ten years old.

"Are they all from Bulgaria"? She heard Harry ask Viktor.

"No, all around Europe. Zora is a local girl, but we have Spain, Norway, Poland and Germany here. Not many children make it out of France or Holland," he added thoughtfully.

Hermione spun around, and glared at Viktor - angry at the harsh words he had said in front of the children.


"Don't worry," he calmed her, "all they know is "Hello, how are you, my name is…"

She turned back to Zora and she was still grinning at her.

Viktor announced something in Bulgarian and the children jeered with excitement.

"What?" Hermione asked fascinated.

"I told them it was play time," he said and smiled intently at her as she stood back up.

The children were scattering quickly, they seemed to know exactly where to go and find the toys around the yard. Two footballs were found instantly and three boys were running after the balls.

"Shall we return inside and discuss our matters further?" Viktor said and Hermione hesitantly turned to look away from the children.

Harry placed his hand on her lower back and she turned to him - the touch making her loose focus. It seemed quite intimate didn't it, and he seemed to keep placing it just in the same place every time.


"Would you rather stay out here" he asked.

"Just for a while, is that okay?" she asked and he smiled at her.

"Very well, just don't forget about tonight." Viktor said.

"Tonight?" Harry and Hermione asked at once.

"Tonight is the feast, we dine and drink like kings," Viktor said. "…and queens," he added and bowed his head to Hermione. "You will meet my people as well."

Hermione looked after Harry and Viktor as they left. She snapped out of it quickly when she felt someone yanking her arm. She looked down and saw an even smaller girl than Zora.

"Wie heisst du?" she said.

Hermione knew a very little bit of German, and knowing the girl spoke German made her feel happier. She knew far more German than Bulgarian.

Cedric had been so good at it, and whilst they dated he thought her a few fraises.

"Hermione," she answered and kneeled next to the girl.

The girl wrinkled her nose, not understanding.

"Ich heisse Hermy," Hermione tried and the girl smiled.

"Hermy," she repeated in a cute German accent. Shortly after the little girl sputtered something very fast in German which Hermione had no chance of understanding. But she was being pulled behind the little girl and she happily obeyed.

The hot late summer sun and running after small children for three hours had Hermione completely drained from energy and when the lady taking care of the children finally announced that they had to leave Hermione hugged them goodbye.

-

When Hermione returned to her room a chamber maid was waiting for her.

"Hello miss, my name is Marina, I am here to help you get ready for the evening," she said and smiled. She was very pretty with long red hair and brown eyes - Hermione had only seen pictures of Ginny and this must have been what she looked like.

"Get ready?" Hermione said hesitantly as she took off her jacket. She turned to the playing stereo and it seemed in full bloom. She had none idea what it was - but a mixture of Irish and Bulgarian folk songs seemed to be playing. Sure she was British… she must look like she liked old Irish songs - as she did at times!

She groaned inwards, she had just looked in to her closet, nothing in there she would wear in reality. One seemed ready to strangle her, tight as hell, and hey - it did happen! She turned annoyed to the girl in the room

"Yes, Master Krum has arranged for five different dresses for you to choose from," she gestured to the dresses lying on the bed.

"Oh my," Hermione whimpered and walked over to the dress. This was real ballroom dresses. She gently touched the lace, velvet, satin and the different handmade patterns of the dresses.

"Also we are to help you with hair, makeup, anything you need." Marina said and grinned. She seemed content with Hermione's reaction.

"Is someone helping Harry get ready?" Hermione snapped and turned to Marina. Who? One of the pretty girls from when they arrived?

"No miss, only you." Marina smiled even wider and Hermione was pretty sure why this was.

"Oh, it is a bit early to get ready now isn't it?" she asked.

"Feast starts in two hours. It takes time for a lady to get ready - you will never arrive in time," Marina added and Hermione just nodded. She really had no idea; she had never done anything like it. She had never been a lady.

"Do I have time for a bath?" Hermione asked doubtfully. She had a feeling she was supposed to be more forceful than this, act like she was used to this treatment but she was well out of her place. She had no idea how to handle it, and besides that, she didn't want to tell anyone what to do!

"Of course miss; you have all the time in the world. I will fill the bath for you, and maybe pour you some wine," she suggested. "And you should probably arrive a bit late, make more of an entrance." Marina snickered and Hermione smiled gratefully at her. Marina really was doing her best to make Hermione feel comfortable, she must sense indeed how uncomfortable she was.

Marina ran the bath for Hermione and then turned to let her get undressed and into the bath.

"You don't have to stay here," Hermione said and the many bubbles covered her.

"Master Krum wants to make sure you have everything you need," Marina said and turned towards the door. Someone was knocking. Hermione immediately started splashing a round, she was stark naked in the tub and it was in the middle of the room.

Marina opened the door just a centimeter and peered out.

"Just your brother," she sighed relieved and opened the door to let him in.

Harry stepped inside and froze as he saw Hermione in the tub. He looked like he didn't know what to say. She was sitting up and he could see her naked shoulders over the water, small bubbles running off them and into the water. The hilts of her breast were breaking the water and he stared away before he could follow the line of sight. He would have seen… could her seen… her nipples. Harry felt a twitch in his pants just thinking about it,


"Marina, may I have a few minutes alone with my brother," Hermione asked, her voice a bit higher than usual and Marina disappeared quickly.

Harry kept his eyes locked at her face, trying not to look down. She was covered in bubbles, but he could just imagine… all soapy and leathery…

"Yes?" Hermione asked self-consciously.

"Who is she?" Harry asked.


"Viktor asked her to help me get ready," she answered. Harry sat down on a chair, still facing her and she relaxed a bit.

"I bet he did," Harry said as he sat down.

"Jealous?" Hermione asked quickly and he looked up and got a bit red in the face.

"J-Jel…"

"About not having a girl in your room?" she added quickly and he looked away. "Don't worry Harry, I saw how the girls yesterday looked at you, I am sure you can have anyone of them in your room. Have had already for sure…" she added aloud.

"Are you jealous?" he asked back and grinned.

Hermione pointed at the tray next to him.

"Will you pour me one?" she asked and Harry got up and poured her a glass of wine. He poured one for himself as well and silently walked over to the tub.

He held the glass a bit too high for her.

"Funny," she said.


"What?" he said innocently.

"Should I reach for it?" she asked daring him.


"Would you?" he asked and their eyes were locked. Just before she had a chance to answer he lowered the drink and she took it. Harry walked back to his seat.


"About tonight?" Harry said.

"Should be fun right?" she asked but could read the look on his face. Something was on his mind.


"Well Viktor has asked me…" he hesitated and drank some wine.

"What?"

"No nothing, I just, well there will be a large party tonight and, we should…"

"What?" Hermione asked and felt very hot all of a sudden. What was he trying to ask her? He took some more wine and she frowned. "What the hell is it Harry?" she demanded and he looked up.


"Don't be so bossy," he said and glared at her.

"Just spit it out," she demanded as if not hearing his words.

"Never mind," he said and put the glass down hard on the table. He started to get up.

"Harry," she called out and he spun around quickly. "It'll be fine,"

"Sure, just don't forget why we are here Hermione," he said warningly and she was stunned.

What the hell did that mean? Why would she forget why they were here? Had he seen that the castle was overwhelming her? Had he felt that she was loosing focus? Was that why Moody wanted her to keep away from Harry, because he knew she would be harmful for the mission? She gulped, had Moody sent Harry a letter to, warning him about Hermione's crush…?

Now she felt miserable and almost wanted to drown herself.

He must have read the look on her face because he added.

"I just think you should know that Viktor has his eye on you," before she could answer he had closed the door behind him.

Now she was even more stunned, was that what was on his mind? That Viktor was flirting with her? Now she suddenly felt happier, was he jealous for real?

She sunk under the surface of the water and held her breath, it all felt like a dream. A wonderful dream that could burst and become a nightmare at anytime.

-->