Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could have been by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could have been

leedee

Chapter Eighteen

-

Just a couple of hours later Harry and Hermione were dropped off at the coast of France. They were met by an older man who worked for Viktor. He took them to his house and gave them a room

When he closed the door behind them Hermione sat her bag down on the bed. She sighed, not meaning to. Harry walked over to the window and started peering out, keeping an eye for anything suspicious.

""Harry," she whispered but he didn't turn from the window.

She walked over to him and peered over his shoulder. "Do you see anything?" she asked.

"No, but I'm staying awake. I want to make sure; I haven't forgotten what happened here last time."

He walked over to the desk at the corner of the room and took the chair. He placed it in front of the window and sat down.

Hermione went to the bathroom and washed up. A shower felt so wonderful and she marveled at how warm water and soap could make you feel human again. It was almost like it washed away your troubles for just a few split seconds.

"Harry, I'll keep an eye on the window. Why don't you wash up?" she suggested.

"No, I'm okay!" he answered determinedly.

Hermione angrily threw the hairbrush on the bed and Harry raised his eyebrows.

"Harry, I have been trained by Alastor Moody. Are you trying to tell me that you doubt my abilities or his? Or maybe Dumbledore's for sending me on this mission?" she was tired and a bit irritated at feeling left out.

"Neither," he answered tiredly. "I just like to do most things on my own."

"Well trust me just for once." She placed her hands determinedly on her hips. She could see his doubt and she knew that he really didn't want to do it. She compromised.

"Just take a shower, you can watch all night okay?"

He gave up and took the shower, albeit very short.

Hermione brushed her hair as he hurriedly climbed into his chair by the window again. She smiled, he was so perfect in her world. She knew, somewhere in the back of her mind, that reality was knocking on their door. Tomorrow evening they would be back in their camp but she pushed that out of her mind for the moment.

She looked at his chest as it was moving up and down in a steady pace, he was so concentrated on the view.

She walked over to him and ran a hand through his wet hair. He glanced up at her, but not really turning away from the window.

The soapy smell mixed with his natural scent was wonderful and she leaned down and sniffed his neck. She couldn't help tasting it to. Just a small flick of her tongue.

"Stop, you are going to get us killed," he laughed and pushed her away gently.

"Why?" she asked and smiled.

"How am I supposed to keep my eyes on the window?"

She grinned into the skin on his neck and then let her tongue gently touch his skin, slowly she ran it up to his ear. Harry groaned and when she sucked an earlobe into her mouth he said warningly and pleading at the same time, "Hermione…"

"Okay, goodnight," she agreed and as she pulled back to leave she felt his palm on the back of her head, pulling her back. His affectionate tongue was in her mouth so fast she had no time to react. She just fell into the hole in the ground, that feeling in her stomach.

Just as quickly as he had given her her drug, he took it away.

"Sleep," he ordered, "there is a very big chance you'll have to drive tomorrow!"

-

They returned the car in a small village near the camp and started the rest of the trip on foot. Harry took her hand and their fingers intertwined.

"I can't believe how fast we returned here, it took us so long to get down to Bulgaria," Hermione mused as they walked next to the road.

"Yeah I know, suddenly we are back here." He went quiet and turned to look at her. "Are you sorry you didn't stay in Bulgaria?

Hermione kept looking ahead.

"No," she answered.

"Why?" he couldn't help but ask. "You could have fought for our cause from that end."

"I know," she turned to him and smiled. "But Britain has its perks."

He smiled back at her and she squeezed his hand harder.

"We have to turn here," she nodded at a tree and Harry had no idea how she could recognize where in the forest they needed to enter.

The passage was narrow and Harry walked behind her. The forest was completely silent expect for a few birds chirping.

The passage got wider and Harry put his arm around her waist.

"So are you ready to return?" he asked, not really sure what he wanted to know or meant to ask.

"Our trip is over in just a few minutes," she answered and stopped walking. Harry turned to her and she put her forehead against his chest. Gently he stroked her hair.

"What are you thinking?" he whispered and kissed the top of her head.

"I just had such a good time with you, I wish it didn't have to end."

Harry pulled her head back, grasping it between his two large hands. Her head felt small in-between his palms.

"Why does it have to end?"

Hermione's bottom lip shook a little when she spoke.

"Harry, you should know that Alastor told me that I could not get involved with you,"

"Why?" Harry objected feeling insulted.

"I don't know. Something about you being too important and not getting distracted," she mumbled.

"Oh," he answered and she thought he must have known what Alastor meant.

He took her hand and they started walking again. "I think Alastor is talking about people like my parents," he said softly. "that people can't really think straight when they have people they... care… for in the war. I think that's it."

"Oh," she mumbled unsure. "well the war is important."

He looked at her and gave her a weak smile.

-

After just an hour of walking Hermione said:

"Listen!" Harry stopped walking and turned his head. He could hear the camp now as well. He heard loud laughing from a man, and he heard children playing. Hermione dropped his hand and they kept walking.

She turned and looked up at him, his jaw was set as he marched a head.

"I just want to tell you," she said and he met her eye. "That it was lovely." She sounded close to tears but she steadied herself.

They heard people yelling out their names excitedly. They could see people running out of their tents and waving excitedly.

Harry looked at her again and felt something familiar to panic brewing inside. Just being without her hand for a moment made him miss her. Without even reflecting about it he took her hand again, lacing his fingers with hers. Hermione looked up a bit startled at him.


"Wh-?" she started.

"Do you mind?" he asked and smiled. Her heart beat hastily in her chest, it felt ready to explode. "It is our life," Harry said as if hearing her wild thoughts, "We should live it as we like!"

She turned ahead and could distinguish the different faces now. She waved happily at some of the children on the ground next to them. Sirius was half running towards them with a wide grin on his face.

"Harry!" he exclaimed in both joy and relief, he pulled his godson into a hug and Harry's hand was tugged rather violently from Hermione's. "I am so glad you both are safe," Sirius continued and now hugged Hermione tightly. When he released her a large crowd had gathered them. "Dumbledore knew somehow that you were coming, both he and Ron are here."

Harry grinned wider at the mention of Ron's name.

"Hermione," Cedric called out and Hermione spun around and was swallowed into a new hug. She glanced sideways at Harry and he was trying casually not to look at them. Sirius flung his arm over Harry's shoulders and started to steer him away.


"You must tell me everything!" he boomed.

"Yeah sure, I will, we both will…" Harry turned and held his hand out to Hermione.

"We might as well tell them everything now?" he suggested and she nodded.

A bit embarrassed she cast an eye at her friends around her and then she took Harry's hand again. She could hear the whispers around the small crowd and she saw Cedric raise his eyebrows in surprise.

"Okay then;" Sirius exclaimed in realization and elbowed Harry in the ribs. "Knew you fancied her," he whispered so low that only Harry could hear it.

"Shut up," Harry elbowed him back but grinned.

"So where is Dumbledore?" Hermione asked.

"He is waiting for you in the tent. He and Ron just about arrived and they were talking to Remus as you arrived."

They approached the large tent and Hermione noticed Alastor Moody standing outside of it, waiting for them. His arms crossed over his chest and a gloomy look on his face. Hermione swallowed audibly. She wasn't afraid of Alastor, nor was she ashamed. But she was never happy about going against the wishes of someone she respected that much. She always wanted to please those she cared most for.

He kept his eyes locked on her and she looked down at the ground. It must have been obvious how much he didn't approve because Harry comfortingly squeezed her hand.

Sirius pulled the entrance hanging of the tent aside and entered the tent first.

As Hermione passed Moody she looked up at him.


"Hello Alastor," she said softly but he just nodded knowingly at her.

"Harry, Hermione!" Ron gasped in surprise as Sirius opened the tent. Ron had been sitting on the floor but he jumped up and hugged them instantly. He must not have noticed how they were holding hands because yet again they were pulled apart.

Dumbledore smiled kindly at them and gestured for them to sit.

"I am glad you are back," he said as they sat.

"But not surprised I am sure," Harry smiled.

"No, not surprised."

Sirius left the tent and was back in just a few moments.

"They are preparing dinner for you, the rest of us have already eaten. But here." he shoved a bowl of mixed nuts at them. They were both famished and grabbed a fistful. "We must celebrate your return!" he added and clapped his hands once.

"Sure," Harry agreed. "Just let us eat first,"

"And speak!" Moody growled irritated and everyone turned to him.


"Now Alastor, we should always celebrate the return of friends in good health," Dumbledore said kindly and Moody grunted again. "But please, when you feel ready to. Please do tell us about what you have found out."

Harry and Hermione turned towards him and both seemed to be gathering themselves.

They started telling them abut their trip, there were a lot of gasps and a few "oh my god's" as they spoke. When they told them about the troops moving to Europe both Sirius and Ron jumped to their feet, as if they were about to sprint to war at once.

"We can't wait any longer!" Sirius turned to Dumbledore. "We must join the troops in Europe!" he demanded and turned to Moody, waiting for him to agree.

Dumbledore held his hand up calming.

"We will wait Sirius, we need more confirmation. We will wait and gather our men and women in Britain; we will wait for our people within the ministry to tell us what they know. But Harry, Hermione," he turned to them, "This is very important information. You have done very well. You should go and rest now, I believe a feast is about to start in a couple of hours in your honor," his eyes twinkled at them and Hermione got up off the floor. She looked uncertainly at Harry.

"I'll be right there," he smiled and she left.

Ron turned to Harry ready to burst from excitement.

"I can't wait to hear the rest Harry," he gushed; "I have been dying back here mate. Let's go," he grabbed Harry's elbow but Harry didn't move.

"Ron," he started, "I need to talk to you about something. They walked over to an empty corner of the large tent. "Something happened on the trip…"

Ron looked completely bewildered.

"What?"

"Hermione and I…"

"You what?"

"We kind of," Harry was stumped for words. He hadn't thought it would be just this hard.

"What, are you together?" Ron offered for him. He looked like he didn't quite believe it.

"Well, yeah," Harry admitted. "Are you mad?" He braced himself for hitting, shoving or just plain yelling. But Ron just shrugged.

"Nah, I mean she told me she didn't like me. And I knew I didn't have a chance."

"Oh," Harry answered surprised.

They started walking towards the exit of the tent.

"So I guess we know she meant you when she said she fancied some one else," Ron thought aloud as the fresh air hit them.

Harry turned surprised to him, he hadn't thought about that. He had just been so jealous back then, thinking she was referring to Cedric. Of course now he knew that she hadn't been, she had only been friends with Cedric. So she must have meant him mustn't she?

"I guess," he agreed.

"Well I brought new clothes for you," Ron said and pointed to their tent.

"Actually," Harry said and glanced over at Hermione's tent.

This time Ron looked a bit more surprised.


"Oh," he stopped walking. "So you are really together."

Harry nodded and tried to read his expression.

"Well at least I will be rid of your snoring," Ron joked. Harry clamped his hand on Ron's back and added.

"Ron, you're the one who snores."

"Right, well at least I will be rid of your complaints about my snoring. See you at the feast!" he added and then walked away. Harry looked after him for a few moments. He seemed to have taken it well, and he felt relieved. Still he felt worried that he might have hurt his best friend. It was the last thing he wanted.

He hurried over to Hermione's tent.

-

Moody and Dumbledore stood next to each other outside the large tent watching Harry and Ron.

"I told you not to send them on the mission together," Moody sounded upset.

"If it would have happened, it would have happened regardless," Dumbledore answered thoughtfully.

"But Albus," Moody turned to Dumbledore, "Harry is far too significant, what he has to do…"

"I know what he has to do Alastor," he answered sternly still watching Ron and Harry speak.

"I' not sure he'll be able to do it. And will she? Hermione thinks with her heart just as much as her mind."

"As does Harry!" Dumbledore answered.

"Exactly!"

"Love is never a bad this Alastor," Dumbledore turned and looked Moody in the eye.

"Well I think this love might have been the worst thing that could have happened to this war!" Moody answered truthfully and a sadness came over them both.

-

-

-

A million thanks to Anna, my Beta! Hopefully I'll get another chapter up before Christmas, if not - merry christmas to all of you, I hope you have a wonderful time!

-->