Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could have been by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could have been

leedee

Chapter Twenty

-

The next morning Harry was very disappointed when he was told he was to return to London that very afternoon. Dumbledore told him this in privacy and he didn't mention anything about Hermione. Harry figured Dumbledore wanted Harry to handle it however he felt like. Reluctantly he walked back to her tent, thinking about what to say, what he wanted, and what he should do.

He knew he didn't want to leave her, but he knew he had to leave, and he knew he didn't want her to return back to London and work at the Leaky Cauldron again.

She was writing in her journals as he entered and she instantaneously put them away. She must have read it on his face because the first thing she said was:

"They are sending you back." He sat down next to the fire and just nodded. "Yeah I figured they would. We both knew it would happen."

They were quiet for a while before they looked up and their eyes met. "When," she asked.

"In a couple of hours."

"When will I see you again?" he didn't know what Dumbledore wanted but answered:

"I promise I'll come back within a month."

Hermione swallowed the large lump- wait, was is a lump or a mountain? - now stuck in her throat. A month? She knew it was bold of Harry to promise that, because it would be very hard to arrange. But a month still seemed like an eternity to her. Just yesterday she had missed him after not holding his hand for an hour. She nodded determinedly.

"And I?" she asked softly.

"I will think abo-"

"No," she held up her hand and smiled kindly, "I didn't mean that. I meant: did Dumbledore say what I am supposed to do?"

Harry looked down at his hands and frowned.

"He says you can return to the Leaky Cauldron if you'd like. But-"he said quickly before she could answer. "I beg of you that you don't. I beg it…"

He looked pleadingly at her and she looked both angry and sad. She couldn't quite believe he would ask such a thing of her.

"Harry I must-"

"I beg you," he took her hand and squeezed it. "just for now at least, be safe. I don't think I will be able to concentrate if I knew you were there. I would just want to check on you."

"This is unrea-"

"I know," he interrupted her again and she rolled her eyes. "Hermione," he put his hand on her cheek and she leaned into it, "please don't go back. With the new information we have we don't know what's about to happen. Don't go back yet."

She looked into his sad green eyes and hesitated.

"Does that mean you'd owe me?" she teased.

"Big time!" he answered and she quickly contemplated what that meant. He thought about what he had just promised her and added. "Within reason!"

Hermione's mind instantly fled to Moody's words, was this what he had meant? That they would try to keep the other safe? Should she refuse? Then she hurried back to what Dumbledore had told her, that love was the greatest thing.

"I'll stay," she said hesitantly.

Harry dropped his hand from her cheek and walked the small step between them and grabbed the top of her arms and forcefully pressed her face against his. There wasn't even a moment before his tongue was in her mouth and it was with such a force that her face turned red.

He grabbed the back of her neck roughly with one hand and pulled his lips from her mouth and they collided with her neck instead. He was so rough that she was sure he would leave a mark, but she didn't care at all. She ran a hand into his hair and grabbed it aggressively; it felt so soft and silky in her hand, the opposite of her own.

He fumbled with the buttons of her shirt and she knew he was growing impatient. She was afraid he would rip them so she pushed him gently in the chest and he looked unbelievingly at her.

"Undo your pants, I'll open mine," she whispered and he merrily obliged.

She threw the bra of as well, she didn't want to risk him ripping it, and she had hardly an instant to think before she felt his hot mouth against her right breast. She leaned her head forwards, they were both on their knees now and she was almost hurtling over him. She looked at his hunched figure, his tensed muscles of his back and ran a hand over it.

How would she go a day without seeing this beautiful back? Violently he reached behind her thighs and flipped her on to her back. Or how would she live without those green blazing eyes….

She was flat on her back now and Harry quickly pulled her skirt up to her hips. He spread her legs with one of his thighs and squeezed his hand between them.

She whined slightly when she felt two fingers enter her. The sound from her only seemed to encourage him and made his eyes even more on fire. He kissed her one last time before turning her around. He was seducing her so completely; she barely knew what was happening.

He kissed the back of her neck when she felt him enter her from behind.

"Oh…" she whimpered and he thrust into her again. One of his hands found its way between her legs again at the same time as he was pushing into her again and again.

"Harry," she whimpered, almost pleading him. He was giving her too much, too strong, too fast. She felt like she couldn't hold herself up.

She felt as she was standing at the edge of a cliff looking down at the deadly sea, her stomach filled with butterflies, deadly scared to jump. Fear and thrill building with in her, and then suddenly she jumped. All fears became adrenaline and joy… pleasure.

She would have collapsed if Harry didn't have one arm around her waist and held her up.

"No, not yet," he whispered in her ear and she couldn't believe what he was saying. Was he kidding? He waited for a few moments and then she felt his hand again.

She almost wanted to hit it away, she felt so not ready.

When she came again Harry came with her, collapsing on top of her. He felt smoldering hot as he laid on her back, and she could hardly breathe. But she wouldn't complain, not ever.

He was panting hard in her ear and she loved it, his pant in the same rhythm as hers. She wondered if anyone had heard them outside, honestly she didn't care. She had just had the best experience of her life. Harry lifted himself and let her turn over. She laid back down and rested on his chest. He would stay there until someone forced him to leave.

-

Two hours later they were standing with everyone else in the corner, saying goodbye. Hermione clung to his arm, not wanting to let go. She knew she looked silly but she didn't care. She really didn't want him to go.

She reluctantly let him go as he walked over to Sirius to say goodbye. She took the opportunity to say goodbye to Ron.

"You'll be careful right?" she asked as they hugged.

"Course," he said and she wondered if he'd even considered her question.

"And you'll-"

"Yeah," he answered and didn't meet her eyes. He was a good friend, she thought. She watched Harry shake hands with many people and hug a few of them. He finally returned to her and took her small hand in his.

"I'll be back soon," he said and she smiled bravely.


"I know."

She walked a few feet with Ron and Harry before she let go of his hand. A bit surprised he turned to her. She walked into his arms as the same time he opened them.

"I have to tell you something," he whispered softly and she looked up. "I love you," he finished.

She bit her lip, ready to burst into tears. She had always hated goodbyes, something about losing ones parents made you sensitive about not seeing someone you cared about again.

"Oh Harry," she sniveled biting her lip again. She wouldn't cry.

"And you feel the same?" he joked and squeezed her tight.

"You know I do."

"You're just saying that `cause I said it first," he laughed and before she could answer he kissed her. He kissed her quickly on the lips and then as if someone had grabbed him, with the flash of lightning he was suddenly far from her. All she could see was the small outlining of his back.

Harry turned around and looked at her at the edge of the camp.

"Don't worry, you'll see her soon" Ron said.

"I know," he answered but felt gloomy. She had seemed so sad. Cedric suddenly came from behind and put his arm around her shoulder. Harry almost stumbled.

"Yeah, that's got to suck," Ron exclaimed honestly and then saw the look on Harry's face. "Sorry," he added quickly.

--

A week passed slowly and Harry spent his days as he always did by working in the shop, eating lunch at popular magical spots, sometimes going to The Leaky Cauldron for after work drinks and sometimes dinner in a public place. He was constantly congratulated about the muggle-model he had brought with him on the luxury yacht in the Caribbean's and he smiled and nodded agreeably. He heard someone ask about the hot mudblood who had worked in the pub one night and Ron squirmed uncomfortably in his seat, not sure what Harry would do.

When the man had said that she had looked very pliable to Tom the barman, he had taken two drinks of firewhiskey and thrown them down quickly. And then he looked determinedly at Ron and assured him that he was absolutely fine.

One more week passed and Harry became more and more irritable. He wasn't allowed to send any letters to the camp, Dumbledore believed it was too unsafe and Harry had a hard time sleeping. He wondered what she was doing in the camp, was she thinking about him. Of course she must, but what exactly and how often?

First word from Dumbledore came on his sixteenth night back in the "real world" and he had been in bed. He flew up when it arrived and yanked it a bit too brutally from Fawkes who snarled at him.

Harry opened the letter eagerly, expecting a letter from Hermione to fall out.

All it said was

"Keep it up, time to plan the birthday party soon!"

Harry turned the letter in fury and desperation. That was it? All Dumbledore had told him, in his special code, was that they would soon discuss the oncoming war in Europe. It was news; Harry had to admit, but he had wanted more. He was a lovesick puppy and he knew it. He crumpled the note and burned it as was the orders.

-

"Harry, what is with you?" Ron groaned irritated as he tossed him an egg salad sandwich,

Harry took it even though he didn't want to.

"What?" he snapped back.

"Look, I know you are bummed about Hermione being back in the camp," Ron stopped himself as he saw the look on Harry's face. They were in the twin's back office and Harry was slouching on his chair as he did most of the time these days.

"But what?" Harry challenged him sitting up straight now. They hadn't had this conversation in close to two weeks and he had been waiting for it.

"Should I arrange a meeting or something?" Ron said softly and Harry completely lost his words. This was not at all what he had expected. He thought Ron would attack him for acting so foolish, he knew that he had but he couldn't help it. His whole soul felt robbed and deprived.

"A meeting?" he stuttered.

"Yeah, in the woods or something?" Ron suggested and Harry's mind went crazy. To see her? In a day or two? Yes! But not… no… He knew they couldn't, she shouldn't.

"Thanks," he muttered, "but no," her face seemed to press even closer on him and he closed his eyes for a moment before he stared back at Ron.

"So, what then?" Ron demanded and slammed his own sandwich down. Harry looked up a bit shocked at the aggressive reaction. "We need to do something else. Something to, get you normal. Should we go to Blaise Zabini's new club?" he inquired.

"New club?" Harry asked and looked up.

"I have told you about it like four times, he has started a new "girly" club. Do I need to take you?" Ron asked.

"No!" Harry answered so fast that Ron couldn't finish his sentence.

Ron ran a hand through his hair and in pure frustration he threw a crude hand gesture at Harry which Harry just ignored.

-

Hermione was doing what she had always wished for when she was working as a "mudblood slave" in magical London. She was in the camp she loved so dearly. She was growing vegetables and helping with the children. She helped with every single bit the camp needed and had it been two months prior, she would have been so content. Now, however… she longed to be back at the Leaky Cauldron. She would have done anything to scrub those nasty urinals if there was a chance she could speak to him… or just to Ron. If Ron would just come in and tell her if he was okay.

Yes, she was pathetic and she knew it. But she honestly didn't care!

She looked down at the row of parsley she was picking of the ground and swore loudly. She never cared if she had parsley for the rest of her life, all she wanted to do right now was hide by the fire in her room with some of the red wine they made so well in the camp.

"Hermione," a small boy called after her and she looked up. He had his hand up proudly.

"Great, you caught another snail!" she grinned her best-fake grin. "Now let's set him free over there," she tilted her head near the edge of the forest.

"I want to keep him!" The boy objected.

"I'm sure you do, but do you think he'd rather be playing with the other snails, his friends..:" she pointedly looked around the place were a few other boys were playing, "Or should we make him our pet, just because we want to?"

The boy bit his lip and then hurried away towards the bushes and she returned to her daydream. Oh what I wouldn't do to be on the run somewhere I the east of Europe... she thought and envied the snail she could see being set free in the nearby forest.

-

"So how are we going to cheer you up?" Sirius asked Hermione as he sat down next to her. They were both eating dinner, a warm vegetable soup.

She looked up surprised.

"What did I do?" she asked. She kept more than up with her shores, she hadn't complained, she hadn't asked about Harry, she had kept to herself.

"Hermione," Sirius said and tilted his head. "It is obvious that you miss him."

"So do you," she accused back and swallowed another spoon of hot soup.

"Yes I do," Sirius willingly admitted.

"It's been five weeks." she finally admitted. "He said he'd be back in four. Dumbledore hasn't been here in three weeks, I am just growing so restless."

"Yeah me too." Sirius admitted. "I used to live like that remember, I was used to being in the loop and now I am constantly out of it. But you know he'd have come if he could right?"

"Yeah," she looked down at her feet. "Fall is coming."

Sirius looked up and the wind rattled the trees around them. It would get very cold, very soon.


"How about if we do some wand training?" Sirius suggested and she looked up startled, not able to hide her excitement.

"We're not supposed to do that without Alastor present, it is his rule," she said doubtfully.

"I know," Sirius wiggled his eyebrow. "but I wont tell if you wont."

-

Hermione met Sirius in the small enchanted tent which was the only protected part in the camp where wands could be used. He closed the entrance and then cast the spell on it.

The tent was lined with rugs and pillows. There was a small table with various things that could be used in training-water, stones, keys and such.

"So how much have Alastor thought you?" Sirius asked.

"Not enough," she smiled and was eager to learn from Sirius.

"What do you want to know?" Sirius asked.


"Everything."

Sirius laughed and tossed her one of the stolen wands they kept in the camp.

"Stupefy?"

"Please," she mocked, "Stunning spell."

"Accio," Sirius stopped himself before he could finish it. "Of course you know the simple ones."


"Don't forget I did my summers at Hogwarts as well. Now challenge me," her hand squeezed the wand so hard that she was getting sweaty.

"Avis?" Sirius asked.

"Getting birds present won't really help in battle."

"Deprimo is a good one," Sirius said thoughtfully.

"I don't know that one," she bubbled eagerly.

"Blasts holes!"

He taught her the spell and the wand movement and soon she made a pillow literally explode. There were feathers everywhere. She bent over to pick them up.

"Hermione, remember where you are," Sirius laughed.

"Oh," she straightened up, "Right! Tergeo!" The pillows gathered into a neat little pile.

"That spell would be wonderful to be allowed to use with the kids in the camp."

-

So Hermione and Sirius started training everyday after that. Sometimes for as many as two hours at a time. Sirius was impressed with her skills and her ability to learn. She seemed to never get enough. Soon they also started battle training and she had skill for it. Each time they met she had mastered what they had last practiced, and he knew she must be training every evening in her tent.

-

Harry looked at Ron as he entered the kitchen of Harry's flat.

"Do I look alright?" Ron asked and gestured at his outfit.


"You look fine," Harry answered. They were both in their nicer robes. They were invited to Blaise's girly club for the evening and it had been closed to the public. This was the kind of evening that usually gave them information for their mission.

They arrived in a limo Blaise had sent for them at the club. It was in a newly built part of Diagon Alley, one were cars weren't usually allowed. The chauffeur opened the door and the street seemed eerily empty to Harry. Ron must have felt the same because he shuddered slightly next to him.

"A ghost town," he muttered and Harry saw Ron's hand wander discretely down his leg to make sure he had his wand as they walked up to the entrance. A young woman was standing outside with a clipboard in hand. She recognized them at once.


"Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley am I right?" she batted her eyes at them and welcomed them inside.

They walked behind her in the narrow hallway. The walls were blood red and the floor was dark but a long the sides there were spotlights lightning up the area. They arrived at the main room. It was a very high-class and posh bar. Harry looked around, taking in the details. There were bars on both sides of the room, in the middle was, what looked like a model runway, on it were a few girls dancing. None of them were naked, but they were only in different kinds of lingerie and bathing suits.

A young girl approached them with a large tray.

"I have champagne for you gentlemen, but if you prefer anything else I will get it at once," she smiled flirtingly.

"Champagne is great," Ron grinned and took a flute.

The club was much emptier than Harry guessed it usually was, Blaise had after all closed it to all besides those he had invited.

"Oh look, great," Ron muttered from the corner and nodded sideways at Harry. He turned and saw Theodore Nott and Pansy Parkinson at one table, their heads leaned closed and whispering. Harry despised them both, they were knee deep in dark magic and very involved with Voldemort.

Pretty much everyone at his party were Death Eaters, or silent donors to the cause. Of course there were a few wizards like Ron and Harry. They were just wealthy and therefore the Death Eaters tried to seduce them over to their cause. One of the waitresses was shamelessly flirting with Roger Davies on one side of the bar. Davies was a very wealthy man who made speeding brooms. He was usually invited to the parties Ron and Harry attended. He had so far resisted giving in to them as far as Harry knew.

Blaise approached them with Goyle at one side.

"Harry!" he exclaimed happily and extended his hand to him.

"Blaise," he greeted and plastered on his biggest smile. "This is one hell of a place you have here." Harry looked around and Blaise seemed very pleased.

"Yes, I always wanted to open an exclusive bar like this but my father never approved. Now the old geezer has died and now I can do what I want. I know what men like us want," he snickered and raised his glass.

"Naked titties," Goyle chuckled stupidly besides him. "and getting lucky when ever you want!" he added.

Harry turned to Blaise. So was this that kind of place as well? A brothel? Blaise shot looks that could kill at Goyle.

"No, what I meant was; naked women, good cigars and the finest spirits. These beautiful girls might give private dances in the private rooms, but nothing tawdry happens." He wiggled his eyebrows at Harry. Right, Harry thought, he had a pretty good idea what happened in there.

"Either way," Ron spoke up, Blaise was ignoring him as usual, "You will put all others bars out of business, this must be a hit!"

Blaise turned to him and wrinkled his nose slightly.

"We do not let just anyone in here, so there are plenty of people to visit the other places. May I treat you two to a private dance? Have your pick of the girls!"

He gestured like a true host at the girls. He did it so casually he might as well have pointed to bottles and asked what they wanted to drink.

"No thanks, I think we'll wait. Maybe another time;" Harry said and raised his glass in a gesture of gratitude.

"So no one catches your eye?" Blaise sounded disapproving. "the waitresses then, do you want anyone of them?"

"Do they dance and wait?" Harry asked.


"If I tell them to... They are not supposed to, generally speaking. I only hire purebloods to dance. But if you would like one of the waitresses…"

"No." Harry answered determinedly but decisive.

"Very well. I will catch up with you a little later then," Blaise announced, his eyes had just caught a blonde girl who had started dancing and he walked over to her. Shamelessly he smacked her bottom as she danced and she turned and winked at him.

-

Ron and Harry walked over to a table. They sat down and ordered another glass of champagne. Just sitting there watching everyone interact was quite useful, and waiting until everyone got more alcohol in them always helped.

"Looks like the most important are here today. King ferret has entered," Ron noted and Harry didn't turn to look. He knew who King ferret was, it could only mean Draco Malfoy. Harry didn't know Draco well. They had been in school together but since Draco's father was the Minister of Magic Draco was far out of reach from everyone. Only his closest friends could speak to him, and he walked as if the world turned to gold if he touched it. Ron and Harry both disliked Draco Malfoy though, the few things they had seen from him was that he was an arrogant bully.

Graham Pritchard sat down next to them.

"Good turn out tonight right?" he asked eagerly. Graham had been a Slytherin in school but he had never really been approved by the others. He was sort of an outsider, just the most dangerous kind according to Harry. The kind of outsider that would do anything to belong, and he had heard many stories about Graham.

"Yes, it should be a good night." Harry agreed.

"Poker as usual?" Ron asked.

"Oh no, no more poker." Graham said and shook his head.

"Why, I was looking forward to it," Ron lied. Graham looked away quickly and tried to change the subject. "One more firewhiskey for the team?" Ron suggested and Harry knew he was thinking exactly what he was. Get Graham drunk enough and he would spill what he knew.

Thirty minutes later Graham was just finishing his third firewhiskey while Harry and Ron was still sipping their first. Graham was a lightweight and was already slurring.

"Maybe we could try to persuade the others about the poker?" Harry turned to Ron and suggested.

"Yeah, it would be fun." Ron answered. Graham leaned over at them and hissed.

"No, no poker!"

"Why?" Harry asked.

"No one is allowed to gamble any money anymore," he finished.

"Just one game, just tonight…" Ron suggested and shrugged his shoulders.

"No, it is prohibited. Not a single Knut can be spent."

"Why?" Ron asked again but Graham had lost his attention. He was staring at a girl swaying her hips and gesturing with her finger for him to come closer.

"Graham," Harry snapped and he turned to them.

"Sorry fellows, can't say anything else. Now excuse me," he mumbled and hurried over to the table. It just took a few moments before he had taken the girls hand and helped her off the stage. He had pulled out a large sum of galleons from his pocket. So much for not spending money! They walked hand in hand towards one of the private rooms.

"But that he can spend money on?" Ron scuffed.

"Damn," Harry swore, "All our best info comes around the poker table."

-

Everyone was getting drunk around them and people kept disappearing into the private rooms. They were usually in there for about thirty minutes and when they came out they went straight to the bar and kept drinking.

"This blows," Harry complained.

"Something about this gives me the creeps. Looks at these guys, they feel like wolves tearing lambs apart." Harry nodded and agreed. They saw Graham talking to Crabbe and they seemed to be arguing.


"Should we get closer?" Ron asked.

"We can't, there are too few people here. It would be too obvious," Harry sighed and wished he could be a fly on the wall. Crabbe suddenly pushed Graham so hard in the chest that he flew backwards and landed flat on his back.

"Well this is getting interesting," Harry thought aloud and sipped his drink. Nothing really happened after that because two men hurried towards Crabbe and Graham. Blaise waved at the guards and they yanked Graham off the floor and dragged him out.

To be a fly indeed, Harry thought.

Roger Davies joined them for a few moments but was so drunk he had to go home.

Blaise came walking towards them again and Harry braced himself. What now?

"Harry, I would really like to speak to you privately soon."

"Sure," Harry agreed. "When? Tomorrow?" he suggested eager to hear what Blaise had to say to him.

"Unfortunately I will be busy for a few days. But within two weeks?" Blaise seemed happy with the eagerness in Harry. He must have thought it meant something else.

"What do you want to discuss? Business?" Harry inquired.

"Sort of…" Blaise trailed of and his eyes seemed to be one fire. Draco Malfoy walked by them and turned to Blaise, he gave him the slightest nod. Blaise shifted uncomfortably.

"It is getting late, I think I am going to grab one of the girls and head home," he said and swept the rest of his drink. He hurried after Malfoy and left the bar.

"Well we might as well leave then," Harry sighed.

"What a very unfulfilling night this has been," Ron complained and Harry had to agree.

-

Exhausted Harry threw himself on his bed, what a night! He heard the crackling of paper as his head landed on the pillow and he quickly grabbed it. A note!

Let's plan the birthday party tomorrow. We'll meet at snuffles house!

Harry's heart fluttered. He was going to the camp tomorrow! He would meet Sirius, they would plan their counter attack. He would get to talk to Dumbledore…

And he would finally get to meet her. He closed his eyes and imagined her brown eyes. Tomorrow he wouldn't have to imagine, he would be able to look into them for real. His stomach fluttered again.

Hermione, he thought.

-

-

-

Reviews are always a nice surprise

-->