Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could have been by leedee
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could have been

leedee

Chapter Twenty-one

-

Harry and Ron walked side by side in the familiar leafy forest. It was much colder and wetter then the last time they had been there. The leaves made squeaky, squashy sounds as they walked.

"I am actually excited about being back here," Ron sounded happy and Harry turned to look him. "And I know you are too," Ron laughed and Harry turned ahead again. He was walking so fast that Ron had to half run to keep up. He didn't even try to hide how excited he was to see her again. He almost felt nauseas with longing.

"Do you think everyone will be there?" Ron asked.

"No idea."

"I mean many may have been sent away," Ron added.


"I know."

Ron noted Harry's reluctance to speak and became quiet, something Harry was very grateful for. They finally reached the outer edge of the camp and Harry took a deep breath. They started seeing the tents and Harry started searching for Hermione but she was nowhere to be found. People started to notice them and began waving happily, just as they always did when friends came to visit.

No one was scared by the figures of strangers, there were guards placed along the outlines of the camp and an alarm would have sounded long ago if it was a visit from enemies.

One of the gatherings of peoples scattered and Dumbledore made his way between them. He walked to meet Harry and Ron and Harry grinned happily, as did Dumbledore.

"Ah, you made it," Dumbledore announced as if there was anything that could have kept them away.


"As did you," Harry grinned.

"Bearing much news?" Dumbledore asked and the three of them walked slowly towards the camp.

"Some, not much. And you?" Harry asked.


"Some. But we must wait for the others. Alastor and Kingsley have all been around the country and we wait for them."

Harry looked around again, where was she? Didn't she knew he was there?

"Ah," Dumbledore said knowingly. "Miss Granger didn't know you were coming-"

"Has she left?" Harry interrupted slightly panicked.

"No not at all. But she is locked in the training camp with Sirius."

"With Sirius?" Ron spoke up for the first time.

Harry looked over at the tent.

"I'll just wait then," he smiled and walked over to the tent and sat down on the log opposite.

-

Ron made sure to stop by the cooking fire and took two large plates of food before he joined Harry. He handed him one but Harry shook his head.

"More for me," Ron muttered and sat down. He started chewing on a chicken leg and looked up at Harry. "Bet she'll be thrilled to see you!"

"Yeah," Harry mumbled and kept his eyes on the door.


"They're just training," Ron said kindly and Harry spun so fast that Ron almost fell of the log.

"I know that! Ron I swear, your imagination is as filthy-"

"Whoa!!" Ron held up his free hand. "I wasn't suggesting anything; I just thought you were so quiet and tense, I wanted to assure you…"

"Well don't!"

"It's just that Sirius is quite the ladies man," Ron kept trying to explain.


"Shut up Ron," Harry sighed. "I am just anxious about seeing her," Harry said honestly.

Ron looked down at his feet.

"Honestly Harry, I didn't mean-"

"I know. You are just an expert of putting your foot in it…"

Ron nodded in agreement and they were quiet after that.

-

An hour passed and the tent remained locked.

"Who the hell is that?" Ron exclaimed and shoved his elbow so hard into Harry's ribs that he almost fell of the log. Harry turned and rolled his eyes.

"It's Kingsley!" he answered annoyed.

"No walking behind him!"

Harry squinted and tried to see. All he saw was a girl with long blond hair.

"Don't know," he answered.

"Are you alright by yourself here?" Ron asked and was already standing before Harry could answer. He hurried towards Kingsley and Harry shook his head. At least he now knew for sure that Ron wasn't hung up on Hermione anymore.

Frustrated he ran a hand through his hair, how long would she stay in there. His mind flickered back to what Ron had said about Sirius being a ladies man, but he quickly pushed it out of his head. It hadn't even crossed his mind before Ron sp-… he stopped thinking. The zipper of the tent made a sound and it opened quickly.

Hermione stepped out of the tent, she was talking to Sirius as she exited and didn't see him at once. But as she did she stopped short, Sirius bumped into her from behind.

She looked almost afraid when she saw him.

"Oh my god," she finally breathed and lunged forward. She threw herself around him so violently that he staggered backwards and almost fell. "You're back," she whimpered in his ear and Harry closed his eyes. He had imagined her so beautiful, soft and wonderful when he was home. But in reality she was so much better. He wanted to kiss her and tried to pull her back a bit but she wouldn't let go. She squeezed him so hard that he almost choked. Finally she pulled back by herself and looked into his eyes.

"Hi," he said happily.

"Hi," she squealed and then they kissed. Harry knew nothing more, he knew that her lips were on him, her tongue was dancing with his and his knees were weak. His hands roamed her back and when she finally pulled back he wanted to complain.

"You're back," she repeated.

"Yeah I am," he agreed and they smiled.

"Good to see you," Sirius cleared his voice from behind Hermione. He waved at Harry and walked towards the rest of the camp, very obviously trying to give them their space.

-

"Come on," Hermione gushed and took his hand. She hurried straight for her tent and pulled him inside.

Harry grinned inwards, what a lovely welcome!

Hermione turned to him as the tent entrance shut. She flung herself at him again and kissed him hard on the lips.

"So you've missed me?" Harry joked between kisses.

"Have you missed me?" she shot back and pulled away from him. He looked as if he was thinking about it for a moment and then said.

"More than you can imagine."

"Good," to his regret she pulled from his arms again and looked sternly at him. "Nothing," she quickly assured, "I just needed to look at you." He smiled at her and then seized her face between his large palms. She felt even hotter than him, even a bit sweaty, and she even looked a bit flushed - her cheeks a lovely shade of pink. He leaned forward and slowly kissed her lips, taking time just enjoying them.

He slowly licked her bottom lip before he entered her mouth and felt her warm tongue.

He put his hand at the back of her neck.


"Why are you so hot and sweaty?" he pulled away and asked.


"I was training," she mumbled and leaned forwards to kiss him again.

"Training what?" he lifted one eyebrow.

"You know, everything necessary. Sirius has been teaching me a few new spells and stuff…" she leaned forward and he couldn't resist.

He found the bottom edge of her t-shirt and yanked it over her head. He tilted her head back and without letting his lips touch her skin, he just ran his tongue from her collarbone up to her chin. She tasted salty, she usually tasted so sweet. He kind of liked it. He clutched behind her back and with a snap her bra opened and he yanked it away. It was clearly in the way.

"I've missed you," he mumbled into her skin as he kissed her naked shoulder.

"I thought you would have come sooner," she moaned and leaned her head back, enjoying the feel of his tongue making circles on her shoulder. He leaned back and looked at her, was she angry? She seemed to read his expression and quickly added. "But I know you couldn't, right?"

"Right," he answered hesitantly. "You know that I wanted to right? I would have come if I could."

She smiled and ran a hand through his wild hair, she took a fistful and pulled him to her for a kiss. He dropped the subject quickly.

Now it was her turn to kiss his skin, she had missed it so much. She started unbuttoning the shirt he was wearing, but she didn't kiss it just yet. She just looked at each exposed piece of skin, reveling in the color of it. She pushed the shirt of his shoulder and ran a hand over the few hairs he had on his chest. With a finger nail she trailed down his stomach and to his bellybutton, she circled it once before she followed the strand of hair towards his pants. With a snap she hooked her finger in the pants and then let go. She smiled when she saw that the pants looked ready to burst at the seams, from the inside.

She stepped out of her sweatpants and her knickers and casually walked over to the mattress.

She giggled at how dumbstruck Harry looked.

"Are you coming?" she smiled and stood by the bed.

"Are you kidding?" he finally caught on and just about tackled her down on the mattress. The foreplay was over now; none of them could stand it anymore. Foreplay was for lovers who got to spend time together, who could enjoy the luxury of just loving the other's body. They had been apart for many weeks, they just needed the other. Harry steadied himself on his elbows and Hermione spread her thighs, both knowing what was coming. He plunged into her and an involuntary sound escaped her lips. Her hands wandered down his back and she felt the muscles tense each time he thrust into her. Harry kissed her again and she didn't know where she was lost, in his kiss or their lovemaking.

-

"Em… Harry, Hermione?" Ron cleared his voice outside Hermione's tent. Harry opened his eyes and realized that they had fallen a sleep. He was spooning Hermione, holding her very tight from behind.

"Ron?" he called back.

"Sorry, didn't mean to bother you," Ron cleared his throat and Harry smiled into Hermione's hair. She was still sound a sleep.

"What is it?" Harry called back.

"Just that, well everyone is here and Dumbledore has called a meeting in an hour."

"We'll be there."

"Okay then, sorry again."

Harry heard Ron's footsteps as he walked away. He started kissing Hermione's ear and she objected in her sleep.

"Wake up sleepy," Harry whispered.

"I can't, I'm completely spent," she complained.

"Did I wear you out?" he kissed her cheek, still holding her from behind.

"You and your godfather," she admitted.

Harry sat up.

"So what exactly is it he is training you in?" she turned onto her back and looked up at him.

"Well mostly magic and spells, but we have started battle training."

"Battle training?" Harry asked.

"Sure, fighting and stuff."

Harry nodded thoughtfully.

"Well that's good I guess. It's good that you know everything you can know to keep safe. And Sirius is one of the best, I should know, he has trained me since I was just a kid."

She smiled at him.

"I can't imagine you as a kid, I would have liked seeing that." She reached up her hand and caressed his chest.

Suddenly she sat up and looked at him.


"What?" he asked confused by the look on her face.

"What has happened? Why did you come?"

"I thought you'd be happy that I came," he joked but she didn't smile. "I was happy when you came."

"Harry…" she sighed and took his hand.

"I think it's time for war," Harry finally answered and he saw her hold her breath.

"When?" she answered.

"I don't know. Dumbledore has called a meeting in an hour and I think we'll find out everything then."

Hermione released the breath she had been holding and looked worried. In an hour she would know everything, and it might be good news, it might be bad but it would probably be a mixture of both.

-

They were soon sitting side by side around the fire in Dumbledore's large meeting tent. Everyone had been given a lamb stew but no one seemed to be eating. The tension was thick and everyone was apprehensive. Hermione looked around and saw many familiar faces around the camp, and even a few new ones.

Hermione looked at Harry, he was staring fixedly at Dumbledore, just waiting for their leader to speak. She looked at Ron sitting next to Harry, he was fumbling with his shoelace and had obviously some trouble sitting on the floor. Harry took Hermione's hand and their fingers intertwined, it made her slightly calmer. She felt Harry's sweaty palm and realized that he was in no way calm.

Finally the last people entered the tent, some looking exhausted, probably traveling cross country. The very last person to enter was Hermione's old principal Minerva McGonagall. Hermione hadn't seen her in years and she had to fight the urge to jump from her seat and hug the woman. McGonagall sat down and found Hermione in the crowd. She smiled very subtly and Hermione inhaled sharply, she felt very emotional now.

"Not all of us are here today;" Dumbledore spoke and everyone went silent," and that is regretful. I will meet the rest in the coming days. Much has happened these last months; everything we have feared and waited for is starting."

Everyone looked between them. "Yes my friends, the war will start in six days. There is no doubt about it!"

Hermione felt Harry drop her hand.

--

"What exactly do you mean by a war in six days?" Kingsley was the first one to speak up and as he did a loud murmur erupted at once. People raised their voices so quickly that Hermione wanted to cover her ears.

"I-if you let me finish- shall answer all your questions!" Dumbledore held up a hand and for the first time ever Hermione thought he looked annoyed. His usually patient face looked harassed.

"Be quiet!" Alastor Moody barked out at everyone and they shamefully turned to Dumbledore. He cleared his throat and ran a hand along his beard.

"I have heard from so many directions of Europe, I can not doubt the fact that Voldemort has sent many Death Eaters to Europe. The battles will, as far as I gather, start in France and advance further south and east. Germany and Spain seems to be the next targets. This will not be a silent attack, this is a full war. Orders are to kill rather than taking prisoners. Any muggles in the way are to be killed, as Voldemort always does." Dumbledore looked around at the faces in the tent.

"What now?" Kingsley asked. "What do you need from each one of us?" he seemed eager to fight as well.

"I need anyone willing to fight to fight," Dumbledore answered sadly.

"I know at least a couple of hundred ready to come with us," Kinsley answered.

"As do I!" Minerva answered. "At least."

"Yes we have many waiting to join us and fight the evil that is Voldemort. In two days everyone must be informed. No one can act publicly like they know anything about this. We must keep on our brave faces. Those of you who interact with Death Eaters must smile happily at them, and pretend like you do not know that you might battle against them on the field with in a week."

Hermione held her breath unwillingly again. Within a week! Harry would leave within a week? Panic started to rise. Was she awful for thinking like that? Thousand wizards would fight against the Death Eaters and her first thought was about Harry!

She zoned out as words and commands about leaders, French cities started be given out. Dumbledore wanted to speak to specific people during the evening and suddenly people were scattering.

-

Hermione got up quickly; she had to speak to Dumbledore at once. Harry hurried after her. Alastor Moody, Sirius, McGonagall and Shacklebolt were already gathered around Dumbledore.

"Please Dumbledore, may I speak to you?" Hermione asked knowing very well that she was interrupting.

"Not now Granger," Moody scolded her and started to push her away. She swatted his hand away and he looked shocked.

"What is it Hermione?" Dumbledore asked as Harry and Ron arrived at her side.

"Please sir," she sounded as humble as she could, "I want to go to France as well."

She heard Harry start to object but she hurried on. "I know that anyone not properly trained isn't allowed to go, but I know far more than anyone thinks, I know I could do so much good."

"Hermione this isn't the time," Harry interrupted and she turned and gave him a harsh voice.

"It's not up to you," she hissed. She turned back to the group before her. "Please sir, Professor McGonagall will tell you that I was the best in our school. And I don't mean our school, I mean summers at Hogwarts."

"Hermione," Dumbledore started kindly.

"And I have been training," she continued.

"It's true!" Sirius added. "She is very good Albus." Harry shot a "how could you?" look and Sirius shrugged. "It's true!" he repeated.

"Is it because I'm not a man?" she challenged and she knew was being disrespectful but she wanted to challenge Dumbledore. She couldn't stand the thought of not being allowed to help. She didn't have to go to the same spot where Harry went, she would go anywhere.

"Hermione!" McGonagall corrected her.

Dumbledore placed his hand on Hermione's shoulder.

"Don't be silly."

He placed the arm around her shoulder and steered her away from the group. They just walked a few feet before he started talking to her in a hushed voice.

"I know you want to fight Hermione, and you would be a great asset."

"But you wont let me," she finished for him and looked up with tears in her eyes.

"There are so many things that will need to be taken cared of in Britain. Why should I send one of my best minds away from Britain, when she can do so much here?"

"I am a good fighter," she said her hands shaking with adrenaline.

"I know," he answered honestly.

"Is it because of H-"

"You are worth so much more behind the battles then in them Hermione!" Dumbledore said and something in his blue eyes told her that he was speaking the truth. That did not help her anger however.

"So is it because I'm a M-"

"It's has nothing to do with being a muggleborn, many muggleborns will join us, from all over Europe." She shook her head in frustration and he added: "I can not stop you if you want to join the war Hermione, but I am just telling you that I believe you can help far more back in Britain."

She backed away with him, looking at him like he was a traitor.

She hurried away from him and out of the tent. All around her people were talking in hushed voices. Everyone was busy with the talk of war. She stormed by them, she passed by her tent. If she tried to hide in there Harry would just come after her in a few moments and she didn't want to talk to anyone. She hurried past it and soon she was running.

The dark night became silent and all she could hear was her feet against the leaves and roots on the ground. She ran until her lungs hurt and then collapsed on a tree branch. The cold air made her lungs feel on fire.

She felt so angry, she could hit someone. She wanted to hit Dumbledore.

Why was she kept back? If this was the moment of truth, and life and death was hanging by it, why didn't Dumbledore send everyone he had? What was the point in saving a few people if it meant they'd loose? Frustrated she swore loudly.

She knew Tonks would be right at the battle field, and McGonagall would as well. Was it because she was a muggle? She pushed that thought away quickly; she knew Dumbledore didn't think like that.

He needed to keep some ears and eyes in Britain, she told herself. So what was wrong with being given that mission? Nothing, she thought, except it makes me feel like the abandoned kid no one wants with them.

She tried to think about all the good she could do if she stayed in Britain. She finally calmed herself down and thought about what she could do for their cause. Someone would have to hear the secrets at The Leaky Cauldron, she could manage that…

-

"Where have you been?" Harry demanded and sounded worried as she entered the tent.

"Just walking."

"I tried to find you!" he objected.

"I know my way around this forest a bit better than you," she smiled weakly.

"Hermione," he started and walked towards her. She held her hand up defensively.

"Don't," she said sharply.

"I understand that you are upset;" he said and tried to calm her down.

"Do you? Do you really Harry? I don't think you do. Is this not my war? Is this not my cause? Am I not a slave in this world? Do I not long for freedom and equality for all?" she had raised her voice without realizing it; she had also taken two challenging steps towards him.

"Of course," he answered.

"Then why can't I join in this war? How would you feel if it was you?" she asked and started shaking. She had tried to hard to calm herself down but now she felt just as annoyed.

"This might sound harsh," he started and reached for her hand but she yanked it away. "There are many things Hermione, many things you haven't learned yet. And there are so many more important things than battle."

"Good!" she said happy by his comment. "Then you can stay in Britain, you can keep being a spy for Dumbledore. You don't have to go!"

He looked down at the floor for just a moment before meeting her again.

"I have to go," he answered truthfully and she knew there was no reasoning with him. She knew he would never give in. she walked over to the mattress and sat down on it.

"Do you want to go out and get some dinner?" he suggested.


"No."
He sat down next to her and placed his hand on her shoulder, he tried to pull her to him but she refused.

"When are you leaving the camp?" she asked sternly.

"We are staying tomorrow, but we are leaving early after that."

She nodded. They remained quiet for a while but Harry broke the tension again.
"Everyone is out there, shouldn't we-"

"Yeah you should," Hermione answered.

"I'm not going to leave you in here alone," he answered. She turned and looked at him.

"You should go out there. You need to. I just… I can't right now. I'll be out in a while," she promised. He knew she meant it and got up. He turned to look at her again. "Just go," she assured him and he left the tent.

-

The mood in the camp was strange, in both a good and a bad way. Everyone knew now, they knew everything would change for better or for worse. But the general feeling was one of hope. Hope to be freed and hope of putting those at fault to blame.

Ron seemed very happy and he whispered for the third time to Harry.

"Just wait `til my family finds out!" Ron's brother was as anxious to fight Death Eaters as Ron was. The only reason Fred and George were still living as proper purebloods was because Dumbledore wanted the front of the store still in Diagon Alley.

"Yeah," Harry answered for the third time that night. He saw Cedric speaking to Sirius on the opposite side of them.

"There she is," Ron nudged Harry and he looked up.


"What?" Harry searched frantically for Hermione.

"The girl I told you about." Ron nodded and Harry looked over at the girl.

"I think I recognize her," he finally said.


"Yeah apparently she went to school with us but I never knew. Her name is Luna," Ron said dreamily and Harry rolled his eyes.

"Good luck with that," he said sarcastically.

"Thanks."

Harry headed straight for Cedric and Sirius.

"There you are I was just talking about you!" Sirius exclaimed happily and held up his glass of wine at Harry.

"Great."

"So are you eager?" Cedric smiled to Harry. "I sure am. As far as I gathered Sirius will be one of the commanders at one of the posts. Dumbledore already told me that I am going with Sirius, and I am guessing you will to."

Harry looked up, he hadn't heard that.


"Did he say that?"

Sirius answered for Cedric: "No he didn't, but I mean it'll probably happen wont it?"

"Why?" Harry felt less sharp then he should have been. Hermione preoccupied his thoughts.

"Well I trained you, we know each others every move. That is very handy in battle. You should have seen your father and I, we could finish the others spell without thinking twice."

Harry nodded, he knew this. He had heard the stories so many times before. He turned to Cedric and hesitated for a moment.

"Can I talk to you?" he asked. Sirius looked surprised but as always he could read the look on Harry and he seemed to just fade away into the crowd. Cedric looked a bit suspired but turned to Harry.

"You know Hermione…" he hesitated and felt some sort of resentment against Cedric build up, "… well, right?"

"Sure," Cedric nodded and looked away. He seemed to know the feelings building in the pit of Harry's stomach.

"She isn't taking the news of the war too well-"

"I thought she wouldn't." Cedric added.

"You didn't?" Harry shifted all his weight on one foot and took a large sip from his wine. He wanted to know everything Cedric had to say, still he hated the fact that Cedric knew more about her then him.

"Well Hermione is very passionate-" Cedric started but when Harry's eyes met his he seemed to change his mind. "I didn't mean- I just meant…" he stuttered and then gathered himself. "She really believes in this, as we all do of course. But, she doesn't like to talk about it. But she has been through some sick and awful things."

Harry swallowed, he had no idea what Cedric was referring to and he felt a bit disturbed. He nodded at Cedric to continue but before he spoke again Cedric drank more of his wine. "I don't want to talk about things she hasn't herself," his loyalty to Hermione was obvious and Harry gave him credit for it. "But you shouldn't be too hard on her. We all have a grudge against certain people involved in this war."

Harry knew Cedric wouldn't say any more.

"Thanks," he finally said and clinked his glass against the wooden goblet holding Cedric's wine.

"Sure."

It looked like Cedric wanted to say something else, like he had something just dying to get out. Cedric's expression suddenly changed and it made Harry turn around. He saw her at once, speaking to Ron by one of the fire. Cedric's hand kindly clapped on his shoulder.

"She is one of a kind," he said as he walked by Harry and his voice sounded slightly sad. How absurd? Harry had time to think, Harry had been in love with Cho Chang in school but she had ended up with Cedric. Now Harry had a feeling Cedric still had some unresolved feelings for Hermione, but she was with Harry. How bizarre indeed!

He looked at her for a moment before he decided to approach her. He had only known her for a few months, but somehow he felt like he had known her forever. She was smiling politely at something Ron was saying and when he saw Ron nodding discreetly sideways at the blonde on his right Harry decided it was time to save her.

"Hi there," he said and put his arm around her waist. She startled slightly.

"You're quite the ninja aren't you?" she asked.


"Ninja?" Ron asked perplexed.

"Muggle thing," Harry answered him and he dropped it. Ron kept talking without taking a breath; obviously the prospect of war gave him energy from somewhere deep inside. Harry casually leaned into Hermione's hair and whispered close to - what he hoped - was her ear.

"Don't be upset."

She turned and looked surprised at him. She gave him a doubtful smile.

"And then Harry asked her to the Yule ball, but she didn't even know who she was," Ron laughed so much he snorted.

Hermione turned quickly towards him again.


"Who was this again?" she asked, pretending like she had actually paid attention.

"Cho Chang, who didn't even know who he was!" Ron laughed and Harry glared at him.

"Thanks Ron, now should we talk about what you wore to the ball?" he asked menacingly. Ron stopped laughing at once. "Maybe we should ask Luna if she remembers?" Harry knew he was being mean but he enjoyed the look on Ron's face.

"My drink is empty, I need to…" he said and backed away.

"That was mean," Hermione smiled and turned to Harry.


"Yet you don't seem angry," he said and put his hands on her hips.

"I am glad to have you alone for a while."

"So you're not mad?" He gently squeezed her hip and just the feel of her soft curves under his fingers sent a surge of desire through him. He leaned forward and smelled her neck. The tip of his nose touched her skin.

"About?" she asked incoherently.

"Nothing," he sounded as confused as her. Feeling her this close made him feel drunker than any firewhiskey.

"We should... talk," she mumbled.


"Talk?" he asked and gently pulled a piece of fabric on her shirt to the side so he could smell more skin.

"With the people."

"Mmm…the people?"

She closed her eyes and leaned her whole face into his hair. He smelled so wonderful. She wanted to grab his whole face and press it against her but they were amongst other people. The only thing touching her was the tip of his nose and still she felt like her body was trembling with electricity. He leaned closer and his upper body touched hers. It seemed to knock all air out of her.

"The people here, Sirius, Moody…"

"Sure," he agreed and exhaled hot air on her skin. She yanked back from him.

"We should!" she argued.

"I agree!" he nodded as seriously as she had spoken. She thought for a few moments and, to what seems like an eternity to Harry, answered:

"I am tired."

"Me too," he answered.


"I am going to my tent."

"See you there," he nodded politely and watched her hurry towards the tent.

-

An enormous thanks to my beta Anna, and a huge thanks to those leaving reviews.

-->