Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts and Beyond - Take 2 by Muirnin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts and Beyond - Take 2

Muirnin

Disclaimer… See Chapter 1 & 10 for the standard Disclaimer… I OWN NOTHING… *sniff*

HOGWARTS AND BEYOND - TAKE 2

By Muirnin Cocan and the Kindred Fellowship United for Harry Potter

PART 2 - Hogwarts, the Final Years Chapter 11 - Laid to Rest

The sleek black sedan pulled into the parking area of the train station in Greater Whinging, Surrey. The driver and passenger both were dressed in finely tailored, black, Armani double-breasted suits with black London Fog overcoats. To look at them one would think they were dignitaries and no one would guess that the two young men had just come from some place called Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry… but they had.

"Thank you again for driving, Harry." Dudley said to his cousin behind the wheel.

"It's the least I could do, besides, I honestly didn't think you wanted to face Aunt Marge alone… I know your mom would rather not see her."

"Truth be told, I'd rather not see her at all myself." Dudley confessed then added, "But she is Dad's only sister and has every right to be at his funeral. I'm just not sure how she is going to act… she does tend to um…"

"Yeah, I know."

As the cousins got out of the car, they straightened their postures and held themselves as older then their respective 16 years. Harry gave the belt on his overcoat another tug in regards to the brisk September morning.

"I promise not to blow up Aunt Marge again…" Harry said with a slight smile. "At least with my mind on the driving, I can't pay attention to her rattling off all my faults. Although, I know if Moody or Tonks were with us and she pulled any of the insults she's done in the past… Well let's just say Aunt Marge would be a bit out of sorts for a while."

"I still can't believe you were able to come with me without having an armed security squad…" Dudley then eyed Harry as they were walking, "You do have your wand with you right?"

"I don't go anywhere without it these days… Ministry be damned. If I have to defend myself or anyone else, I am going to do it… But I will be so relieved after I turn 17." Harry said, glancing up at the clock on the platform, they were right on time. "I even have a holster strapped to my arm just for my wand."

"Good… Ever since Professor Dumbledore confirmed the fact that mum and I also have magical abilities I've been reading everything Lav would let me about spells, charms and curses..." Harry looked over amazed at his cousin who after seeing his reaction continued, "Ya, I know... me... Dudley Dursley actually wanting to study!" Dudley gave a slight laugh.

"I think you are going to love attending Hogwarts."

"Oh I know I will... there's just something special about the place. There are times that I find myself hating Dad for having that curse put on us... because no matter what, whether mum had married Dad or even your godfather Sirius..." Dudley said noticing the startled look on Harry's face making him realize that he had known about Vernon's deception. "You and I would still have been cousins... and we would have still gone to Hogwarts. I honestly think it is Dad's fault that mum and I have lost so much time in what should have also been our world."

"Dudley, never hate your dad for his bigotry towards our kind. I am sure when he was a lot younger, he did not take into consideration what the outcome of his actions would be. We all make foolish mistakes when we are younger... especially in the name of love." Harry said quietly to his cousin as they stood on the platform waiting patiently for Aunt Marge's train. "Train's late..." he added looking at the clock on the platform.

"Want to bet Aunt Marge has something to do with that," quipped Dudley.

Harry chuckled softly "I am NOT going to take that bet..." he paused for a moment and then looked at Dudley seriously, "Hey D, I got a question to ask you."

"What's that Harry?"

"I know that Professor Dumbledore had informed both you and Aunt Petunia about your latent magical abilities right after you had gotten to Godric's Hollow... but when did you actually… I mean, really believe, that you were a wizard?" Harry asked curiously.

"When we got into the car accident... I actually saw the dementors this time besides being able to feel them. Mum saw them too, but dad never did." Dudley said sadly. "You know what's funny about it… I remembered after the accident what that giant Hagrid had said about it being scandalous for your mom and dad to have died in a car accident… Then I thought how it was my dad who had made up the lie about Aunt Lily and Uncle James dying in a car accident… somehow it seemed fitting." He shrugged.

Harry stared at his cousin… it had been the first time he had ever heard Dudley refer to his parents as his Aunt and Uncle the realized that he must have used the journal at some point to get to know them as well. He was just glad that after so much hatred between the two of them, they were more like brothers as well as friends.

It was nearly a quarter of an hour later that Aunt Marge's train began pulling into the station. The two young men stood watching all the varying array of passengers detrain very quickly, acting like they couldn't get away from the train fast enough.

It was then that the sound of distraught, blubbering wailing could be heard and they saw a number of the train stewards pulling down what Harry recognized as very familiar luggage.

Dudley and Harry looked at each other and then said "Aunt Marge..." as they made their way to confirm their suspicions.

Marjorie Dursley was dressed in a tight black woolen suit, her girth straining the buttons of her jacket. She was making such a scene having to be assisted by four very stressed attendants. Her beloved bulldog, Ripper, was being carried at arms length by a fifth attendant whose uniform was badly shredded and speckled with blood.

The moment that Aunt Marge saw the two young men she dislodged herself from the stewards and lunged at the large blonde boy whimpering as she staggered towards him. "Oh my poor Dudders!" she wept unmercifully against her nephews rugged frame, the bulk of her weight almost knocking Dudley down. Overpowering fumes of vintage Brandy permeated the air around her.

"There, there Aunt Marge..." Dudley said patting her back in a comforting way as he rolled his eyes.

Harry had barely heard Dudley talking to his aunt when a familiar sharp pain caused a sudden discomfort in his forearm. The sensation came from the rapid assault by Aunt Marge's dog Ripper being thrust hurriedly at Harry's unsuspecting form, giving the vicious bulldog ample opportunity to turn the aggrieved appendage into a new chew toy.

Ripper however found that the "toy" he was digging his sharp teeth into was not as soft as he had remembered (if dogs actually remember something like that)... His aim had been directly into the wand holster strapped onto Harry's arm, with only a couple of teeth actually connecting with the skin while the rest had found themselves caught in the thick dragon skin that the holster was made of.

Harry grasped Ripper by the nape of the neck and pulled him forcibly away from his arm, the dog growling viciously. Whether it was the sudden lack of fear or the look that he had given the dog, Ripper suddenly became very quiet. Harry adjusted the way that he was carrying Ripper so that it did not look as if the dog was being abused, but Harry still had a strong hand clenched on the nape of Ripper's neck in a controlling fashion.

The silence from Ripper had made Aunt Marge look to see what had happened to her precious dog and upon seeing Harry she seethed. "YOU! BOY! What have you done to my poor Ripper!" she bellowed as she continued to cling to Dudley. The attendants at the station had gotten a trolley loaded with Marge's luggage and were slowly trying to back away from the ranting woman.

"Nothing Aunt Marge... I am just carrying Ripper for you... would you like him back while we go towards the car?" Harry said kindly. He had learned long ago that the best way to get under Aunt Marge's skin was to treat her with kindness, and despite the sadness of the situation with the death of his Uncle Vernon, he was not going to lower himself to her level, no matter what Marge's verbal abuse contained.

The growl from Aunt Marge was so audible that anyone would have thought there was a mad animal (besides Ripper) around, as she took Ripper away from what she viewed as an unworthy caretaker for her precious dog. "It's alright Ripper... that mean boy can't hurt you anymore..." she simmpered at the quiet dog.

Harry turned to where the five attendants were still hanging back trying not to be seen by Aunt Marge and walked over to them. Pulling out his wallet he gave the men £50 notes each. "Thank you for your courage and bravery for taking care of Aunt Marge for us. I know the experience was not pleasant." Harry said with a slight smile.

The head attendant looked at the gratuity in his hand and then looked at Harry, "Oy, this is too kind of you sir, what with your recent loss and all." He began moving the trolley after Harry, as they made their way out towards the car.

"I'm sure you all earned it as I am positive she made you endure her grief quite a bit during the trip here. Thank you though for your condolences... I will pass them on to the rest of the family." Harry said. He turned and saw that Dudley was trying with great difficulty to follow with Aunt Marge blubbering along the way, still making a horrible scene. The irony of the situation was that Ripper was the least bothersome of them all.

As they made their way to the car, Harry pulled out a mobile phone to alert Aunt Petunia they were on their way with Aunt Marge. By the time they had reached the hotel where the family was staying, Aunt Marge had berated Harry at least a dozen times, told Dudley how he must be withering away in his grief (as he had lost quite a bit of weight) and polished off the bottle of brandy that was in her large hand bag.

Pulling into the valet parking, Harry saw that Ron, Bill, Charlie and Arthur Weasley were waiting at the door to help assist in getting Aunt Marge to her room. All four of the Weasley men were dressed in fine Muggle attire. Bill had even used a glamour charm so as to not look out of place with his long hair and earring.

Aunt Marge was not very attentive to the men who had helped her up to her room, nor paid little attention to Aunt Petunia or the other number of unfamiliar people who were milling around the suite of rooms. Harry suspected that Mr. Weasley had used some sort of charm on Marge to help get her into her bedroom. Mrs. Weasley had assisted Marge once on the inside, helping her into bed to sleep off the brandy. Ginny Weasley had taken Ripper and was playing with the small dog.

"Hey Gin," Dudley said, "whatcha trying to do... tame another tyrant?"

"Oh now Ripper isn't a tyrant... He's just like the rest of you blokes... not knowing what love is..." she said with a large grin and then saw Draco Malfoy blush. "until it hits you smack in the face."

Harry walked over to where Aunt Petunia was sitting. "Aunt Petunia, all the arrangements have been made at St. John's a few blocks from here... I know that is where we used to go to church when I was little... I figured that that's where Uncle Vernon would..."

"That's fine Harry dear. St. John's is indeed where Vernon would have wanted his funeral." Petunia said her eyes still reflecting remnants of tears, yet to be shed. "The funeral is more for Marge and the Grunnings employees than it is for us. I just can't stand all the focus on the grief… it's just so…" she sniffled

"Everything is going to be all right... you do know that..." Harry said tenderly sitting down next to her.

Petunia took her nephews hand and said, "Yes, I do know that now." Dudley walked over to where they were sitting and Petunia took his hand as well. "I am so proud of both my boys... After Vernon had gotten rid of the affects of the spell... he spent a great deal of time pondering the past... He became very proud of you Harry... not that he would have said it out loud to you but he was... You have become a fine young man despite the way we reared you. Then there's you my dear Dudley... the critical change that you have done over the last couple of months is astounding... Your father was amazed that you could become such a gentleman... he knew you had it in you."

"I'm just sorry we lost so much time with who we are..." Dudley said quietly.

"I know you are, but everything happens for a purpose... remember that. I honestly believe that all of the cogs are in motion for great things to happen in the future. Even with your father's death, it has happened at this time for a reason."

"You mean like a pre-destiny, Aunt Petunia." Harry said thoughtfully.

"I guess you can say that in a way. Professor Dumbledore has offered me a job at Hogwarts... I've already accepted it." Petunia said softly.

Harry and Dudley stared at Petunia with a shocked expression.

She smiled at them gently and then said, "While I still have a great deal to learn about being a witch, I am going to be teaching a class for all years called 'Muggle Living'. It's to teach wizards how to live like a muggle in the muggle world... As Albus said it would be an advanced class for Muggle studies... I'll be teaching things like cooking, cleaning, shopping... all the Muggle way."

"That's fantastic Aunt Petunia... It is going to be so strange for me having both you and Dudley at Hogwarts this year, but then again... I've never had a normal year at Hogwarts." Harry said.

"Well all the instructors have set aside time in their schedules to tutor Dudley and I, hopefully it will take no time to get Dudley up to the same year as those of your age..." Aunt Petunia said. "Things are going to be moving rather quickly for all of us over the next couple of days. I know that classes should have already started for you both, however the Headmaster has postponed the start of classes for all students until after the funeral, seeing as so many of the Gryffindors as well as other students and teachers wanted to be here for our family Harry."

"Professor Dumbledore didn't need to do that..." Harry said in surprise, "But at least we won't be behind in our class work."

The next day, when the time came for the funeral, St. John's was filled to capacity with many of the students, teachers as well as many of the employees from Grunning's, the company where Vernon Dursley had been the Director. The full mass had been beautifully done, and when the communion was offered it was with no reservation that all who had been raised Catholic's that went to Hogwarts partook the communion. Harry was amazed while it had been at least six years since he had been to Church; he had remembered every missive of the Mass. His rosary being one that had been given to him when he was very young, by Uncle Vernon.

Aunt Petunia sat between Dudley and Harry with Hermione and Lavender on the other sides of their boyfriends. Aunt Marge had chosen to sit on the aisle (unfortunately next to Lavender), and despite the fuss she had made at the train station was overly calm and quiet... to the point of not participating in the mass. Her reaction to the funeral while not unwelcome had caused Harry with a bit of concern as it was so out of character for her... but he shrugged it off as a symptom of her grief for the death of her only brother.

During the wake that followed, Harry noticed again how out of character Aunt Marge was reacting. She avoided contact with everyone including Aunt Petunia, and refused to eat or drink anything. It was only towards the end that Aunt Marge had looked with such hatred and loathing at Harry that he felt the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. She had never given him that kind of reaction no matter how much she hated Harry... it reminded him of how he reacted to seeing Bellatrix Lestrange after Sirius had been killed.

Hermione stood by Harry and felt his hand tighten on hers "Harry are you alright?"

"I just got the eeriest feeling when I looked at Aunt Marge..."

"Let's go find Dumbledore... see if he can tell what is happening." Hermione suggested as they headed towards where Dumbledore, McGonagall and Lupin all stood talking to Petunia.

The three teachers were also dressed in fine Muggle attire. Dumbledore and Lupin were both in dark grey suits, looking very distinguished, while McGonagall was in a finely tailored dress suit made out of her family tartan.

After Harry explained to Professor Dumbledore what he had just felt, the headmaster turned and looked at Aunt Marge. Her eyes widened upon the gaze by the ancient man, then she turned and moved out of the room.

"Harry, you wait here with your Aunt." Then pointing to the other two teachers said, "You two come with me... It seems we may have an unexpected guest amongst us."

Harry felt a chill upon hearing these words. He sat down next to his aunt, who immediately took his shaking hand.

"It's alright Harry... if it is who you think it is, Professor Dumbledore will not let him get away with this." Hermione said quietly.

"It isn't Voldemort that is here... I felt nothing from my scar from him... I think it's HER." Harry said not even wanting to say Bellatrix Lestrange's name aloud.

"But Harry how could she be possessing Marge?" Petunia asked.

"I'm not sure, but it could be something that Lord Voldemort has taught her to do... Hermione... you stay here with Aunt Petunia... I have to be out there with them." Harry said and quickly moved away from the women.

Their protests went unheard as Harry left the room and headed off in pursuit of the trio of Professors. Somehow, he could feel which way to go.

As he turned a corner, he came upon the body of Aunt Marge. He checked for a pulse and found none... Her face had a surprised look upon it and he knew that she had been killed with Avada Kedavra... He lowered his head for a moment, feeling a bit of guilt for her death... knowing that she wouldn't be dead if it hadn't been for Voldemort wanting to kill Harry.

"Ah... is ittle baby Potter crying?" the voice said from behind him. He recognized the voice belonging to Bellatrix Lestrange.

With in the space of less then a moment Harry's wand was in his hand, his back still turned to Bellatrix. It was a calculated risk he knew, but he also was aware of the fact that she would not kill him in such a cowardly fashion, nor could she be the end of his life. "You do know that Dumbledore is going to find you..." Harry said still staring at the body in front of him.

"Oh he won't find me... Not today ittle baby Potter... Today is just a warning to you... from my master." Bellatrix said, "My master wants you to know that you are not safe anywhere... or from anyone." With that there was an audible pop of someone disapparating from the room.

Harry knelt with his head down, still in shock that Aunt Marge while not his favorite person was now also dead. The sound of feet running towards him made him whip around, wand in hand and then seeing his professors put his wand back into its holster quickly.

"Harry what are you doing out here? I thought I told you to stay with your Aunt Petunia." Dumbledore said with marked concern tingeing his voice.

"This was a warning for me from Voldemort... He wanted me to know I am not safe anywhere or from anyone." Harry said quietly getting up.

"Minerva, would you please see to Miss Dursley... Remus, you and I will accompany Harry back to his Aunt. We will explain what has happened."

It did not take a single word from anyone for Petunia to understand that Marge was dead... the look upon the three men's faces was enough to tell her and she lowered her head in sorrow. Hermione who had a comforting arm around her realized the change in her behavior and when she saw the look on Harry's face threw a hand up to her mouth in a silent gasp.

Remus went over to offer comfort to Petunia while Hermione went to Harry's side and held onto him as he shook slightly. Soon the Weasley's as well as Dudley, Lavender, Draco and Luna were all there around them, all having been informed of Aunt Marge's death by Bellatrix Lestrange.

Within two days, they were all back at Hogwarts. The arrangements for her burial had been done quickly and quietly, Aunt Marge was laid to rest near Vernon in the Dursley crypt at the Whinging Memorial Gardens. Colonel Fubster was informed of Marge's death and Petunia let him take care of the details that would be needed for the care of her other dogs…

Ginny Weasley however, kept Ripper…

Please Review… Thanks; I will try to respond to reviewers if e-mail is left… can't promise how quickly with my Internet problems…