Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts and Beyond - Take 2 by Muirnin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts and Beyond - Take 2

Muirnin

Disclaimer… See Chapter 1 & 10 for the standard Disclaimer… I OWN NOTHING… *sniff*

HOGWARTS AND BEYOND - TAKE 2

By Muirnin Cocan and the Kindred Fellowship United for Harry Potter

PART 2 - Hogwarts, the Final Years

Chapter 13 - Magic and Mischief on Samhain's Eve

The next few days went by quickly as Harry and Hermione began their classes along with the other junior instructors. So far, none of the Slytherins who had signed up had caused any type of trouble and was as dedicated as some of the original members of the DA.

Both Crabbe and Goyle did have difficulty in performing some of the simplest disarming spells. Nott on the other hand had performed very intelligently and seemed to be very quick to pick things up.

The way the classes were set up were done by houses, with Harry and Hermione accompanied by their house representatives began teaching the various levels. Again the Sorting Hat had come in handy as it was able to place students from each house into separate learning groups, namely those that were slower at learning were grouped together and then progressed from there.

As Saturday approached all the third year students and above were anxious for their first Hogsmeade visit. Remus and Petunia had accompanied Harry's group as a security guard of sorts, but also gave Remus a chance to introduce Petunia to the village of Hogsmeade.

He had even shown her the shrieking shack that had already begun going its massive transformation and remodeling for Remus' future use. He had decided that it would be his permanent home once it was complete and had renamed it the Marauders Manor, in honor of his deceased friends.

What had shocked Petunia and Harry upon seeing the renovation of the manor was some portraits that hung in the study. They were of James, Lily, Sirius, and they each reacted like many of the paintings had at Hogwarts. It seemed strange to be able to converse with the three of them no differently then they did with the former headmasters of Hogwarts. Although there were three portraits, somehow all three of the occupants ended up in only one frame. The conversations that were going on with James, who was playing with a snitch, and Sirius were discussing various ways to torment Snape while Lily just told them to behave.

While Remus and Petunia stayed behind at the manor, the rest all gathered at the Three Broomsticks. Harry chose that moment to separate himself from the others for a few to go and find the perfect birthday present for Hermione whose birthday was the following week.

Tonks had joined him under an invisibility cloak and was "helping" him find something very special for Hermione. As they walked, Harry began asking her more questions about being a Metamorphmagus.

"You're really into this idea aren't you Harry. Ok, let me ask you a question... have you ever had anything happen that changed your appearance?" Tonks asked curiously.

"Well when I was little, Aunt Petunia had forced me to get this hideous haircut that embarrassed the living hell out of me... I was so afraid of going to school the next morning, but when I woke up my hair was exactly as it had always been. I don't think I have had another hair cut since."

"Really? Wow, you know you may well be a Metamorphmagus, as I told you before it is something you are born with. If you would like I can help to see if you really are." Tonks said beneath her cloak. "Do me a favor, while we are walking to the shop, concentrate on changing your hair color to say brown... like Hermione's color."

As they walked along Harry screwed up his face as he had seen Tonks do a number of times and slowly his hair became brown and bushy but only shorter.

"I think we have the makings of another Metamorphmagus on our hands... I'll have to tell Professor McGonagall so she can begin giving you on extra training in the procedures." Tonks said, "Now try and visualize your self without your scar."

By the time they had entered the small-enchanted jewelry store down the alley by Madame Puddifoot's, Harry had removed his scar, made his eyes a turquoise blue and gave himself bearded stubble on his face.

"Wotcher Harry, I wouldn't have recognized you... you are a natural!" Tonks said having removed her invisibility cloak and changed her own appearance before entering the shop. "So what are you looking for?"

"I want something that can protect Hermione and I can make sure where she is at all times. But I want it to look like a simple piece of jewelry, nothing to flashy and vulgar."

The Shoppe keeper had overheard what Harry (whom he didn't recognize) had said. "By chance is this an special item that you are wanting for a loved one."

"Yes it is, but as I said, I don't want anything that would cause her damage or be so flashy that she would never wear it, I want her to always have it on."

"Well what you seek is two-fold, first something for the lady and then something that would give you the ability to find her no matter where she is or what she is doing."

"Exactly!" Harry exclaimed.

The Shoppe keeper pulled out a tray and before he could comment on any of the items there Harry said, "That's it!"

"You sir, have excellent taste. That is a very unique piece of jewelry that had been handcrafted for a special couple, but unfortunately they died prior to their being able to receive it."

"Who was this couple?" Harry asked.

"Why the parents of the Boy who lived... Lily and James Potter."

A chill ran through Harry as he gazed at the two pieces of jewelry, the first part was a brooch that bore the Potter family crest, which Harry had seen in various spots around the Manor and the Cottage. The second piece was a man's ring that had elegant Celtic knot work woven around a center stone that appeared to have the Potter plaid minutely embellished within.

"How does it work.?" Harry asked with great enthusiasm.

"Well as I said this had been specifically handcrafted for the Potters and only one of Potter's kin… I doubt it would work for you sir. But we could always handcraft…"

Harry smiled and then scrunched up his face in concentration allowing his own features to return to his face. The look on the Shoppe keepers face was priceless.

"Oh Mr. Potter sir... it is indeed a pleasure... my goodness I didn't recognize you at all."

"Please do not let anyone know I was able to change my appearance... it could cause me a lot of problems. Now, explain to me how this works." Harry said as he returned to his previous appearance not wanting to be seen by passersby.

"I am sure that you have seen some of the family clocks that have been created that show what and where a member of the family may be..." Noticing Harry nod he continued, "This pair of jewelry is enchanted much the same way. When the woman you love is wearing the brooch, the ring will reflect in some detail her state of well-being. You will know the change by warmth that the ring will give off. Say if she is in mortal peril, the stone will go black, but if she is in a normal state, it will be as it is right now. If she is extremely happy it will go red."

"I'll take it. How much do I owe you." Harry asked getting out his bag of galleons.

"It was paid for in advance by your parents Mr. Potter. After your parent's deaths, I only kept it on the tray as an example of the fine workmanship of enchantments my humble shop could do. It is only right you have this set at no further charge."

Harry was surprised at this, but thanked the Shoppe keeper graciously and took the wrapped gift and placed it into his pocket. When they were far enough away Tonks recovered herself with the invisibility cloak and Harry changed his appearance back to his original appearance.

"You were right about the Metamorphmagus being very handy. Thanks Tonks."

"I gotta say cutie, you caught onto the process way faster then anyone I have ever known who was a Metamorphmagus. Usually it is a time consuming process, but it will definitely help you when you become an Auror."

Harry reentered the Three Broomsticks and saw a look of concern on Hermione's face. "What... I wasn't gone that long."

"Over an hour, what were you doing?" Hermione asked shakily.

"Don't worry, I had a guard with me the whole time." He said by stepping her question.

"Well I just figured you got lost or drowned in the loo" Ron snickered trying to change the subject. "So what shall we do now?"

"Oh I don't know..." Harry said indecisively, he would prefer to spend some quiet time with Hermione, but also wanted to spend time with his friends.

"Do you think Aunt Petunia would let us go watch some movies?" Ginny asked. Both of the younger Weasley kids had started calling her Aunt Petunia in exchange for Harry calling their mother Mum.

"I don't see why not. We could stop by Moony's and ask on our way back to the castle. She's been helping him with the redecorating using magic that he's been teaching her." Harry said with a grin.

"That sounds like a great idea then we can do our reports for her class as well!" Hermione added cheerfully.

"My Mione, always looking for ways to get homework done even with recreation." Harry said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Yeah, you love it and wouldn't have me any other way." She said with a grin. Inside her mind, she could hear Harry say 'Yeah I love you and there is a number of different ways I would like to have you...', which caused Hermione to blush a very deep crimson red.

"What's wrong Hermione?" Luna asked with genuine concern.

"Um… Nothing..." she gasped as she glared at Harry who tried to look innocent

When the group entered into the Clubhouse, as they had taken to calling the Hogwarts Home, they found that a number of different students had also had the same idea. Professor's McGonagall and Sprout were present, supervising in Petunia's absence and were sitting at the dining room table drinking coffee, McGonagall mindlessly crocheting a blanket.

They spent the remainder of the afternoon sitting around playing games, watching movies and in Hermione's case, reading some of the books that were on the shelves in the book room.

Ron and Harry had begun writing their reports on one of the movies they had watched and in between the words they were writing were having a very passionate debate of the realities of Auto Racing.

"That has got to be the most exciting Muggle sport I've ever seen!" Harry said after having watched the movie 'Days of Thunder'. "It was like Quidditch exciting to me."

"There is no way that was like Quidditch. Ok, sure it's got extremely fast speeds and there is a lot of pounding and bashing and... Hey you're right... it's Quidditch for Muggles except more like the final dash for the snitch!" Ron conceded.

Hermione just shook her head as she wrote her book report on a Star Trek book she had found that was more of a romance novel called 'Imzadi'. She did not let on to anyone that she already had read the book a few times at home, but she still enjoyed it all the same.

As the 19th approached, Harry was growing in anticipation at the gift he had in store for Hermione. The two of them had found that they could have private conversations over their laptops rather then down in the common room. Harry had teased her about her birthday and saying things about surprises and such. Hermione on the other hand had taken the bait and was pestering him about what he had planned.

************

When the night of Hermione's birthday came, Harry was a nervous wreck. He had hidden himself in the clubhouse for several hours and with the assistance of Aunt Petunia, Ron, Luna and Ginny, they distracted Hermione, so as to not give away the surprise.

Ginny had the task of making sure that Hermione got dressed up in a beautiful sapphire blue dress that Aunt Petunia had given her for her birthday. Ron and Luna had given her a pair of earrings while Ginny and Draco had given her a delicate lace shawl. Neville and Blaise had given her a beautiful set of hair combs for her to wear.

When she had gotten all dressed, Ginny brought her downstairs where Ron put a blindfold around her eyes.

"Oh come on guys, what is going on?" Hermione protested at the idea of not being able to see. "I know that Harry has some surprise for me, but seriously this is too much!" she laughed.

A gentle hand took hers and she knew in an instant whose it was. Harry had come out from behind the tapestry, he began to guide her to the Clubhouse. "You look stunning tonight Mione." Harry said in the most gentle and quiet tone she had ever remembered him using.

"Are we almost there?" Hermione asked as she continued to be led through the passageway.

"Almost, but I have to do something first." Harry said and then he stopped her and leaned down kissing her tenderly on the lips.

"You keep that up Mr. Potter, and I may not even care where you are taking me." She said as she blindly captured his lips again, the thrill of anticipation growing ever more strongly inside of her.

When their lips parted, Harry said, "Patience is a virtue my love..." and gently began guiding her to their destination.

The aroma that imbued her senses as they came into the openness of the dining room was amazing. She tried to distinguish the different foods that she could smell. There was sweetness in the air that reminded her of Easter at home, where her family always had her favorite baked ham.

A smile broke out on Hermione's face as Harry finally removed her blindfold she saw that one of the rooms had been transformed into a private dining room, resplendent with candles, flowers and satiny table linens of blues and greens.

"Oh Merlin, Harry… did you cook all this yourself?" She said as she looked at the beautifully German baked ham, the mouthwatering scalloped potatoes and a green bean casserole.

"After years of fixing food for the Dursley's I sort of learned a thing or two… Besides, you will be happy to know that Aunt Petunia is considering this as part of my homework assignment and is giving me a grade for the dessert." Harry said with a grin.

"Where's the dessert?" She said looking around the room.

"Remember what I said, Patience is a virtue…" he winked. "Come milady, sit, feast the evening is young… and you are too beautiful tonight." Harry said as he pulled out her chair and then kissed her softly on her neck. "The surprises aren't over yet."

As they ate their meal, Hermione kept looking at Harry wondering what else he could have planned for her. The food was magnificent, delighting her taste buds. Harry had also gotten some honey mead for them to drink, a perfect compliment for the dinner.

Harry stood as he raised his glass to her. "To Hermione, you are my love, my life, my best friend, my confidant… may this birthday be as special and wonderful as you are… God blessed me the day you came looking for Trevor… and for that I will be forever thankful."

Tears of joy slid down Hermione's cheeks as she listened to the words Harry shared. He came around the table to her side and pulled her to her feet. Kissing her again very tenderly, he added, "I have a gift for you, that has more meaning in it then I thought when I found it…"

He pulled out the small box and handed it to her. As she unwrapped the gift Harry took the ring out of his pocket and slipped it on his own finger. Lifting the lid of the jewelry box, she gasped when she saw the intricate brooch inside.

"Oh Harry… this is beautiful…" looking up at him she added, "This is your family's crest."

"Yes it is, and it had been specifically made for my parents before they died. I found it in a store in Hogsmeade and the owner of the shop told me that it will only work as intended for myself and the woman I love."

He explained to her the enchantments that were placed on it and showed her the ring that he wore.

Carefully she lifted the beautiful brooch from it's case and marveled at how light it's weight. Underneath the brooch was a beautiful platinum chain with double bales on it, giving her a place to hang the brooch as a necklace if she so chose.

Wrapping the lace shawl around her she secured it with the crested brooch and then looked up at Harry's smiling face. She immediately could feel a warmth emanating from the brooch, just enough to let her know that Harry was happy. Hermione looked at his ring and saw that the stone was a brilliant ruby red.

Cupping his face in her hands she kissed him and then wrapped her arms around his neck as he wrapped his around her waist pulling her in towards his body, their kiss deepening.

Unseen from Hermione's perspective, a small gathering of people had silently made their way into the romantic setting and were watching with rapt attention at the loving couple.

Suddenly, the sound of Ron Weasley's voice shouted out... "Oy, Herms you going to thank all your best friends this way?" His voice held an amusement that despite the slight smack from his younger sister caused Harry and Hermione to jump apart laughing and wiping away tears of joy.

"Oh you wish Weasley! When did you guys sneak in here?" Hermione said as she greeted all her friends.

Gathered around were several of the DA along with their respective partners. Included in the gathering were Remus as well as Tonks, Kingsley and Moody.

"Now you kids remember that it's a school night." Aunt Petunia said quietly. "Professor Dumbledore is allowing this since Harry's dessert is part of his class assignment."

"Yeah! Bring on the eats!" Ron said this time receiving a light smack from Luna who was standing on his other side. "Hey, a man's gotta eat right? Back me up here Harry? Neville? Draco? ANYBODY?" With that everyone assembled laughed hysterically at Ron's expense.

When Harry brought out the dessert, he could hear a gasp from his Aunt Petunia. Harry had recreated the spectacular pudding that she had made years before that Dobby had unceremoniously smashed to the floor. Rather then tiny violets it was decorated in sugared rose petals each one, delicately placed around the tiers. Along side of the pudding was a beautifully decorated birthday cake to match, also decorated with sugared rose petals; however this cake was a decadent chocolate masterpiece with raspberries and cream.

"Oh Harry that's lovely!" Hermione said as she looked at the delicious confections.

"Not as lovely as you." Harry said quietly.

Hermione's eyes welled up again as she saw the love radiating off Harry. Once he had committed himself to love and realized what this feeling was he had become an absolute romantic, yet he possessed such honesty with his every thought and feeling that she knew if Voldemort came that instant, Harry's love would destroy the evil wizard with no difficulty at all.

The party had gone on for a couple more hours until Argus Filch had come in and told them they were all in trouble for being up past curfew. Petunia had given Filch one of her patented glares and told him, in no uncertain terms, was he to harass these children on their way back to their dorms. Some how, Filch showed a bit of fear when he saw the look in Petunia's eyes and backed off with a confused Mrs. Norris in his wake.

Harry escorted Hermione to the base of the girls dormitories and kissed her good night. As he changed for bed he noticed that an instant message was waiting for him on his laptop. It was in response to one he had sent earlier in the evening to Hermione. His message had read

"Hermione My Love,

I can't wait until I can show you how much I love you…

Happy Birthday, my beloved.

Eternally yours,

Harry"

Her response had been:

"My Dearest Harry,

Thank you so much for the party… I love you so much…

I am yours… body and soul… now…

Forever and always

Hermione"

Harry reread what she had sent him and knew that what she had just said confirmed that they were ready to take the next step in their relationship. Had he been anyone else he probably would have told her to meet him in the Astronomy Tower, but he could wait.

He logged on to the common room and found Hermione, waiting for him. His virtual self however, had no intention of waiting as he walked over to her, swept her up into his arms, and carried her to their own little paradise in Gryffindor Tower.

***********

Classes had continued through September and onward towards the Samhain's Festival. Professor Dumbledore had announced that although Halloween fell on a Thursday, they would be holding no classes that day but instead have the first Quidditch match of the season between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff.

A surprising change in the weather had caused a few to think that the festival would be cancelled when the night before a northern storm had blown in, blanketing the entire area with an early snow. Upon waking the morning of Samhain's Eve, many of the students looked out at the area now covered in white and worried that they would not be able to have the party that night.

Professor Dumbledore assured everyone at breakfast that Hogwarts would indeed be celebrating in traditional form and for none of the students to worry. He encouraged the students to dress warm for the festival and even suggested that they might wish to wear their party attire to the match.

Hermione had taken the time to look up information library about the attire of the Celts and after conversing with her pen pal Brigid O'Donnell, who would be attending along with Seamus' cousin and some of their friends; she put together a costume that was traditional and yet afforded her the opportunity to wear her beautiful brooch in public. She had only been wearing the brooch on the elegant chain under her school uniform, but it had been something she wore every day and night.

She had told Harry that she would see him at the match and had gone into the dormitories to get ready. Harry, Ron and Ginny along with the other members of the Gryffindor Quidditch team had made their way down to the pitch. There was an excitement in the air as the students gathered to see the match.

Many had chosen as Hermione had, dressing in traditional attire, while other had gone the muggle route and wore costumes of such diversity that the normal colors of the stands were a rainbow of delight.

Anticipation for the match to begin swelled within the stadium. When the Gryffindor's squad was announced, Hermione screamed in excitement for Harry and he swung his broom around towards where she sat and blew a kiss at her, causing her to blush.

Ron's keeper talent had improved and he had not let a single Quaffle in causing Luna and the other Gryffindors to sing 'Weasley is our King'. Ginny along with Nora Burke and Adrienne Kiernan both 3rd years had proven to be exceptional chasers. Dean and Seamus had shown their mettle at being superb beaters.

Nevertheless, it was not until Harry saw the snitch for the first time since his ban from Quidditch the previous year, that he felt like he was once again a part of the team. He soared after the snitch sweeping passed the Hufflepuff seeker so fast that it caused their seeker to begin spinning on his broom in Harry's wake.

With such jubilant elation, Harry's fingers clasped around the fluttering ball and held it up high for all to see. They had done it again, as a team and for Harry it was almost the best feeling in the world. Inside his head, he could hear Hermione's voice cheering him on and he flew over towards her and saw she was crying tears of joy. Moving as close as he could to her, he leaned down and kissed her gently on the lips, then swung his broom around and headed back towards the rest of the team.

The bonfires had already been started around the staging area. The musicians were playing lively Celtic music and inviting any and all to join in with the merriment. The team had gone in to change while the rest of the school had made its way down to the festival.

Twilight was falling and slowly the team had one by one left the changing rooms. Harry alone stayed behind still holding the snitch in his hands. He had told the others to go ahead. By the time he had changed into his costume for the evening he indeed could feel the power of the magical night, feeling for the first time the presence of those who he loved and lost, but as Luna had said they aren't really gone… and now he knew this to be true.

Dressed in traditional attire, Harry threw a length of the Potter plaid over his shoulder and secured it, then covered himself with a heavy hooded cloak of deep forest green velvet lined with a plush brown fur. His knee high hand made boots crunched in the snow as he made his way to the party.

He mentally called out for Hermione to find out where she was, and when he got his answer, he hurried towards her location.

Suddenly he felt his ring grow very warm and he looked down at the stone… it had gone from the brilliant red it had been at the end of the match and now was darkening to an almost black. Harry's heart quickened as he tried to mentally search her out again, but there was nothing in return.

Author's Note: (November 26, 2003) well the name of the kitten has changed again! My soon to be 3 year old son Christopher (his birthday is January 2nd) has named him BONZAI!!! Since that is the only cat, he remembers us having when we lived in California. He is as opposite of my old buddy as he can be, yet there is a presence about him that reminds me of my dear Siamese… I figured he could be Bonsai's Angel… since he is a white ginger tip Siamese rather then the dark seal tip that my old cat was… Please note, the kitten has taken to try and use his paws on my keyboard while I am working on this story… He really is a distracting little bugger at times…

I am still trying to get my Live Journal up… I have to wait until a) someone is kind enough to give me an invite code (that's a hint!) or b) I can get my visa check/debit card so I can use paypal and buy my LJ… until then, you have to put up with my diatribe here!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving for all us in the United States… I want to wish you all a very Happy and prosperous Thanksgiving… and let you know I am so blessed to have such great readers and very thankful that you all have given me the encouragement to keep writing my story.

I have another Plot Bunny on the rampage in my mind so You may see a sneak of it sometime in the future… it will combine two of my passions… one of which is Harry Potter and for those that know me REALLY well… the other is obvious! That's all I am going to say about that…

Hugs and Kisses…

As Always,

Muirnin, Queen Mother-Royal Family of Cliffies

(the very frustrated writer!)

With loving support (and sometime co-writers and Betas) by…

Becky, First Princess-Royal Family of Cliffies

*¤*.¸¸.·´¨`"*"´¨`·. ¸¸.*¤*.¸¸.·´¨`"*"´¨`·. ¸¸.*¤*

Lisa, the Lovely Alluring Lady-Royal Family of Cliffies

*¤*.¸¸.·´¨`"*"´¨`·. ¸¸.*¤*.¸¸.·´¨`"*"´¨`·. ¸¸.*¤*

Founders - KFUFHP - Kindred Fellowship United for Harry Potter

"An imaginative mind is a terrible thing to waste..."

@}>---'---,---

Please Review… Thanks; I will try to personally respond to reviewers if e-mail is left… I will answer questions and comments that you make… I find it easier and less embarrassing to respond by e-mail then to take up space here… But to all of you who have reviewed I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart.