Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts and Beyond - Take 2 by Muirnin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts and Beyond - Take 2

Muirnin

Disclaimer… See Chapter 1 & 10 for the standard Disclaimer… I OWN NOTHING… *sniff* Author's notes are now at the end…

HOGWARTS AND BEYOND - TAKE 2

By Muirnin Cocan and the Kindred Fellowship United for Harry Potter

(sort of sounds like a rock group eh?)

PART 2 - Hogwarts, the Final Years

Chapter 12 - Home, Hat and Samhain

September 9, 1996

The start of classes, while somewhat delayed, began very much the same way as the previous years. The original sorting had been done on the evening of September 1st along with the welcoming feast. Therefore, when classes started on September 9th, it surprised most of the students that another welcoming feast greeted them for breakfast that morning.

There had been some noticeable changes with the announcement of the first Hogsmeade weekend being that coming weekend, the addition of the new Muggle Living class taught by Professor Petunia Dursley, the return of Professor Remus Lupin as the Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor and Harry and Hermione's Defensive Arts class. In Dumbledore's office, both Petunia and Dudley had gone through the sorting with the magical hat. Surprisingly had both sorted into Gryffindor and were to undergo their own curriculums. Since Petunia's class was non-magic based it was perfect for her, but Dudley had a great deal to learn to catch up with the rest of the 6th years.

Announcements had been made regarding the Muggle Living class, which became an elective course as well as the Defensive Arts course. Students and teachers greeted Petunia's new class with a favorable reception. Harry looked up at the teachers table on the first day of the Muggle Living class and saw his Aunt sitting slightly uncomfortable with all the attention that was being shown her, however she had support from many of those around her. Harry's heart swelled with pride at seeing his Aunt in such a new and alien environment and yet finding it fitting that she was adjusting quite well… He knew part of the reason was her renewed friendship with Remus Lupin and that too made Harry smile.

Even with all the tragedy and turmoil that their lives had taken, there was good that came out of it and for that Harry would be forever grateful. Both he and Hermione anticipated great things, concerning their own class, but neither had been prepared for what actually came about.

Hermione had posted signup lists in each of the four houses. Each of the lists were bewitched to not show who had signed up and also were jinxed much the same way the list for Dumbledore's Army had been... except this time the list carried a warning and all the students KNEW what they were getting involved in.

READ BEFORE YOU SIGN!

"By signing this parchment, you are agreeing to the terms set forth by the instructors for the Defensive Arts course (further to be known as the DA).

This is a Wizards contract and cannot be broken.

This class is open to all students regardless of age as well as instructors or any other adults who wish to improve their DA skills to fight against evil.

By signing, you are agreeing that now nor at any time in the future will you take orders from Lord Voldemort, his minions or become part of his Death Eaters.

Circumstances being what they are, consideration has been taken into mind regarding students whose parents may now or in the future be associated with Lord Voldemort, using the dark mark.

While you do have to abide by your parents discipline; if they are in anyway associated with the Dark Lord or his Death Eaters, they cannot be able to force you to reveal anything that you have learned through the DA.

This also includes any who are now marked with the Dark Mark, and wish to break those ties with Lord Voldemort.

Through the terms of this contract and agreeing to this special training of DA, you will work against Lord Voldemort and others who fight against the power of Light...

You will not try to plot against, kill, maim or disfigure Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter or any associated member of the DA.

Any information learned in the DA is to be used solely for the DA and bringing down the powers of Dark...

Make no mistake - IF YOU BREAK THIS CONTRACT YOU WILL BE CURSED -

There have been a number of protections for yourself as well as other members of the DA and if you reveal what you know to the wrong sources, your betrayal will be made well known... You will be of no use to Lord Voldemort or humanity in general...

These are the terms you are agreeing to so that you can be taught defensive spells; these terms are as such above contestation..

Signed by

Professor Remus Lupin - Defense Against the Dark Arts Instructor

Hermione U. Granger & Harry J. Potter - Instructors for the DA

Contract Authorized by Albus Dumbledore - Headmaster

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry"

Draco Malfoy sauntered over towards the Gryffindor table where Harry and Hermione were seated, eating their breakfast. As he sat down next to Ginny, he looked over at Hermione.

"Geez Granger... bit of overkill on the contract doncha think" said Draco, giving his trademark smirk.

"I see it didn't stop you or Blaise," she countered with a slight grin. "Although I will be surprised who else from Slytherin signs up."

"So will I." Turning he looked at Ginny and added, "Good morning beautiful" and softly kissed her cheek.

"I don't think I will ever get used to this side of you Draco." Harry said shaking his head.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, privately Potter you just can't wait for me to be the first one to betray the DA" Draco teased, "trust me, I won't." He then added in a very serious tone, "I have a feeling that Crabbe, Goyle and Nott are up to something. I would not be a bit surprised if they joined the DA. They are stupid enough to ignore your warnings..."

"Well if they do, they will be of no use to anyone including themselves..." Hermione stated. "Harry and I want to see who signs up and then decide how and when to hold classes. At least it will be easier then it was last year with Umbridge."

"Very true. By the way, my Father" he seethed, "taught me quite a few hexes, jinxes and dark curses... you know, for training to become a Death Eater… if you need anyone to assist you, I will do what ever I have to... against Moldyshorts." Draco had yet to vocalize Voldemort's name but refused to say He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

"Yes that little Trip jinx you used on me last year was very impressive." Harry said with a slight grin. Both Ginny and Hermione giggled at Draco's nickname for Lord Voldemort.

Hermione looked down at the sheet of parchment that was bewitched for only specific eyes to see. It was the master list of all the sign up sheets. "Well Draco, it looks like your feeling is correct about the other Slytherins. Crabbe, Goyle, Nott, Bulstrode, Parkinson... Good grief, it looks like half of the Slytherins have signed up!"

"You have got to be kidding... I knew Crabbe and Goyle were stupid to ignore warnings... but Pansy. I'm not sure what their game is..." Draco looked concernedly at the Slytherin table as others from his house had just sat down to eat their breakfasts. "Should we tell Dumbledore?"

"No need, he and Professor Lupin have the other two master lists for the class. I just hope they understand what they are agreeing to." Hermione said grimly. "And what the consequences are for betrayal."

"I doubt they really care. It could very well be that they are doing this as a way to get out of the Dark Lord's clutches..." countered Draco. "At least I sure hope so..." Together Draco, Harry and Hermione all trudged off to their first class of the year, N.E.W.T level Potions with Professor Snape. That alone was a sign that things were going to be rough all day. Ron headed towards his Muggle Studies class, while Luna and Ginny headed towards Charms.

Surprisingly, the class had been less stressful then the first class of previous years. Harry had made it through with only losing 5 points from Gryffindor, but a couple of Slytherins, Pansy Parkinson and Millicent Bulstrode had both lost a combined 20 points for causing trouble for some of the Gryffindors and trying to make it look like Draco Malfoy had done the misdeeds. Professor Snape had warned both girls that any attempt to disrupt his class again would find them both removed from the course.

Ron joined them for N.E.W.T level Charms and then they all headed for lunch; both of which had been uneventful but by mid-afternoon, students in every house had signed up for the D. A. training. It did indeed look like Dumbledore would have his army now after all. "Holy Shit!" Harry said as he looked over the list. "How are we ever going to teach all of these students by our selves? We still have our own classes to deal with!"

"I have an idea about that." Hermione said as they stood in the queue for Double Muggle Living. "Let me check with Professor Dumbledore before I tell you." She mumbled something did a quick swish with her wand and a bit of silver mist shaped as a tiny otter flew out of her wand and headed down the corridor.

"Hermione… What are you up to now?" Harry asked, marveling at the new bit of magic that Hermione had just shown. He had only seen that little otter when she had done her own Patronus.

Suddenly he could hear Hermione's voice within his head 'Don't worry, I think we will need help from the Sorting Hat to work out the classes'. He then knew that what she had said aloud was for anyone that might have been listening in to his or her conversation, but she really did not want to hide what she was doing from Harry.

"Never mind telling me right now… Aunt Petunia's class is about to start." Harry said figuring that would cover her not answering him aloud.

Aunt Petunia's classroom was amazing. Harry looked around at the assembled students. There were quite a few different ages and houses represented in the room. The room while still within the castle had the mystical feel, being transformed into a large Muggle home. All the students were seated on overstuffed chairs, sofas, the floor and even around the dining room table. In some ways it reminded Harry more of Potter manor than Privet Drive. Professor Dumbledore had bewitched many of the 'electrical' appliances so that they would be able to work normally in the magical environment. Even the lamps that illuminated the room actually worked. Several students were heard to mutter, "I feel like I am home again!"

When the time came for class to start, Aunt Petunia walked regally into the classroom, resplendent in Wizards robes. She stood proudly at the front of the class and looked at all the faces. Quite a few of them she had become accustomed to over the summer but there were a number of students she had no idea their back ground.

"Good afternoon class. My name is Petunia Evans Dursley. As most of you may know, I am Dudley Dursley's mother as well as Harry Potter's aunt. I want you all to speak to me as if I am your Aunt, a friend or even your Mother" she said with a glance to Harry, "there for do not call me Professor Dursley… however you can refer to me as Aunt Petunia, Mrs. Dursley, Petunia or Mum. The choice is yours, I want you all to feel comfortable with me and know that you can come to me whenever you need to…

The design of this class is for each of you to become as familiar with the muggle world as the Wizarding world. While speaking with Professor Dumbledore, I explained to him how different the Wizarding world seemed from the Muggle world. It was his thought, and I agreed, that perhaps Wizards should learn more about how Muggles really live not just what they learn in Muggle Studies… which if any of you have not taken that course I highly recommend it, especially if you are going to be in contact with Muggles.

Quite a few of you may already find yourselves in relationships that involve Muggles or Muggle-born. It is important to know the proper way to address and interact with the outside world. For the sake of argument, I will say here and now, I do not condone the use of expressions like Muggles, Mud-blood, Muggle-born or Pureblood as any of these conditions about the status of your fellow students and others in the outside world; It is a form of racism and bigotry. I will use them only when I have to differentiate between those of magic birth and those who are not. Personally, it is as contemptible as those who choose people by the color of their skin, the amount of their bank accounts or even the accent of a person's voice. If I teach you anything in this class it is that people are people and should not be judged by anything other then the example they set and the works they have done."

Many of the students giggled at this and others shifted uncomfortably. Harry looked at his Aunt with amazement as she was now stating that the way she and Uncle Vernon reacted to him and his kind was nothing short of racism and that it was wrong. His eyes made contact with Petunia for a brief second and saw a glimmer of an apology to Harry and then she turned to continue.

She then continued taking off her wizard robe revealing a very muggle style, knee length dress in black, representing her time still in mourning. "While in this class you will act, dress and think like muggles… I know for some of you" she looked at Hermione with a smile, "It won't be difficult since you are muggle born as am I. However, many of you are what you call yourselves Pureblood… and have had very little contact with anything muggle. You may find yourselves at a disadvantage, having the most difficulty to think like muggles… That is what we are here to teach you… Now with a show of hands…" She began seeing how many muggle-born, half blood and purebloods there were in her class. Surprisingly, it seemed that those of Pureblood out numbered the rest of the class with a great number of Slytherins included in the class.

It seemed that the place resembled a real house more then a classroom. There were game rooms, which had a billiards table, dart boards and a wide variety of board games like Monopoly and Scrabble as well as Muggle Chess which caught Ron's fancy quickly. In the 'living room/ family room' area of the classroom there was a stereo, television with a VCR (with a collection of Muggle movies on video tape) that all worked. In the 'kitchen' there included a working refrigerator (filled with Muggle food), an oven, stove, and dishwasher with even a garbage disposal. How Dumbledore had enchanted all of this Harry had no idea.

By the time class was over, Petunia had informed them of a few events that would be announced later on in the term. She then assigned them all homework assignments that included them having to read a muggle novel or watch a muggle movie and make a report, find or create a recipe and prepare it without the use of magic, identify the different parts of a muggle environment and offered them the ability to study the "Hogwarts Home" anytime they wanted.

With the number of the 'Godrics Gang' in attendance for the class, it seemed that the Slytherins were on their best behavior. A message came during the class for each of the 'gang' to go directly to Professor Dumbledore's office after Muggle Living was over.

"I wonder what this is all about." Harry asked.

"You remember the idea I said I would need to speak with Professor Dumbledore about… well it seems he got my message and we will find out." Hermione said as the students began to make their way towards giant gargoyle. "Aero Bar" Hermione said at the gargoyle and the magical revolving staircase appeared.

Upon entering Professor Dumbledore's office, they noticed that the room had been enlarged to include a number of chairs and they were not the only ones present. Every member of the previous DA that were still in attendance at Hogwarts were present including Michael Corner, Cho Chang and Marietta Edgecombe, whose face was now back to normal.

Dumbledore along with Professor's McGonagall, Snape, Lupin, Sprout and Flitwick all stood before the assembled group of students; not surprising that all four head of house were present. Professor Dumbledore smiled as he looked down at the students and saw each of their determined looks as he addressed them.

"Greetings my friends. Normally I would have addressed you as children… but many of you have been through so much more then a child's normally exposed with…" he twinkled as he spoke, "but that discussion is not for this time. The purpose of this meeting is in regards to how the DA should be taught. Originally, it would be taught by Harry and Hermione, however every student in the school has signed up and that is much to big of a task for just the two of them… Miss Granger had suggested and I agreed that we should have some assistance in deciding who will also instruct the DA. All of you have shown great bravery, many of you have gifts beyond the normal student… yes including you Miss Edgecombe, even with what happened last year, you did not hesitate to sign up again for this important class.

Therefore, as we do when it comes to sorting into our houses, we will again turn to the Sorting Hat to make our decisions…" he turned to Professor McGonagall as she moved the three legged stool into place and then set the aged Sorting Hat upon the seat.

"Now the first one to be spoken to by the sorting hat will be Harry Potter. This will allow the hat to understand what he knows and wishes to teach. Then the hat will be placed upon each of your heads, helping Harry to make a decision as to who should assist him in teaching. This information will not be known to anyone else until Harry informs us. After everyone has gone through this process, Harry will again don the hat and with this quill and parchment write down the new assignments for the instructors. The hat is being used so no one can claim favoritism, nor make anyone who does not want to teach be forced into an uncomfortable position."

Harry stood up and sat down on the stool, when the hat was placed on his head he could hear the ancient voice in his head…"Ah, Harry Potter, so we meet again. Yes, I can see now why Dumbledore placed you in such an important position. You are an excellent teacher and have much more to share with your students. I will do my best to help with getting the right assistants for you. Now, take me off your head and call Hermione to be next." Harry smiled as he took the hat off and signaled for Hermione to come sit down, it spoke to her for a long time and then as with Harry instructed her who would be next to place the hat on their head…

Therefore, it continued, thru the remaining numbers of DA members. Many the year before had been 7th year and word had it that they were now associated with the Order of the Phoenix in one capacity or another. By the time Harry donned the Sorting Hat again he was anxious to find out what the outcome would be. As the hat spoke to Harry, the quill and parchment he had in his hands were busy transcribing the hat's decisions. Harry listened closely to everything the hat said and asked questions back to it, making sure he understood everything that had transpired.

When it all concluded Harry handed the parchment back to the Headmaster and sat back down next to Hermione. Dumbledore glanced at the sheet and then at the people surrounding him. "Well it would seem that the Sorting hat would again have a mind of it's own…" he chuckled then continued, "Not all of you are aware of the Order of the Phoenix. It would seem that I should inform you now of existence of that organization."

"Albus, are you sure?" McGonagall said in a bit of stunned horror at the revelation of the society.

"Yes Minerva, according to the sorting hat… these children… excuse me these students are indeed to be included into our very ranks. Each of them possesses qualities and talents that will become beneficial to the Order. So," he turned back to the students, "I will explain to the majority of you what is the Order of the Phoenix… Any information you learn here is also considered bound by the contract you have all signed… but I am sure you do not need to be reminded about that." He stopped and took a look around at all the young faces, feeling the same anguish he had felt when explaining to Harry about the prophecy.

Dumbledore took a deep breath and then preceded, "The Order of the Phoenix is a secret organization whose main purpose is to oppose the evil and dark forces that are driven to destroy our world. In some ways, the DA is an extension of that mandate. With the amount of students who wish to be included in this special training, Harry and Hermione are going to need additional help. Therefore, to that end, each house will have DA representatives very similar to the prefect system… Meaning, you will be our ears within the four houses. Assisting our instructors for the DA will be other members who the Sorting Hat has deemed qualified in skill and knowledge. There will be additional training by various members of the Order and then quite a few of you will actually be working within the Order."

"But Headmaster, surely not. They are too young to be involved in anything that dangerous." Severus Snape said looking paler then he normally did.

"They are all involved already, certainly the participation by six of them in the Department of Mysteries last June should have told you enough that they are all in danger." Dumbledore countered.

Snape grumbled, "If Potter had done as he was taught he would not have placed any of them in that situation."

"It's NOT Harry's fault we took on Voldemort' Death Eaters last June!" Hermione said forcefully, glaring at Snape that told him that she blamed him for his inability to teach Harry Occlumency.

"ENOUGH!" Harry shouted. "What happened in the Department of Mysteries happened… but we have a larger problem at hand now… We have several hundred students including a number of them from YOUR house who have signed up to take this course. The Sorting Hat has chosen a route for us to take… Professor Dumbledore please, continue telling us what the Hat has decided." Harry sounded very authoritative as he spoke. He had a commanding presence that had not been acknowledged in years past.

"Thank you Harry. Now as I was saying, some of you are going to be working within the Order… more information about that will come in time. The hat has chosen the following as the House Representatives… For Gryffindor - Neville Longbottom & Lavender Brown; for Hufflepuff - Ernie Macmillan & Susan Bones; for Ravenclaw - Anthony Goldstein & Padma Patil; and for Slytherin - Draco Malfoy & Blaise Zabini

I'm sure you realize that all of these students are 6th years, that is to keep them all for two years rather then just one. They will also act as assistants to Professor Lupin, Harry and Hermione in teaching the students as well as Ginny Weasley, Luna Lovegood, & Ron Weasley. As for you three, he pointed out Cho Chang, Marietta Edgecombe, and Zacharias Smith since you are all 7th years, you will be working extremely close with members of the Order that teach here. It will become your responsibility to assist us in upgrading our defenses here at Hogwarts.

Now the following students will have more intensive training to increase some of their already excellent abilities: Dean Thomas, Parvati Patil, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Hannah Abbott, Michael Corner, Terry Boot, and Seamus Finnegan. Part of your training will include early apparition training. As for you two" he said pointing at the Creevey brothers, "Since you both have a very unique talent with the camera it will be up to you to keep tabs on students through your lens. I have seen some of your work, and am amazed at what you have captured on film. When you take your pictures, you will give the film directly to me… for safekeeping. It will be a very sensitive responsibility that you will have, and if anyone asks you can just say that you are creating a yearbook for the school." He said with a grin. "All of this will be on top of your studies that you have right now."

"Professor, does that mean we are going to be spying on students?" Colin asked.

"Honestly? Yes. But that does not give you license to take advantage of your assignment." The twinkle in Dumbledore's eyes told them no using their cameras in the girls showers etc. Both boys blushed slightly. "Since all of you except for Draco and Blaise were all part of the original DA, you will be also receiving special training that will come directly from myself, or one of these instructors here. Draco and Blaise both possess the skills to be included in this training as well. We will transform one of the larger classrooms to resemble exactly the DA training room that was provided by the Room of Requirement. In addition, officially as of right now, Dobby and Winky are assigned to assist the DA and will obey any of you, however, they are in the employ of Harry Potter and his family. I do know that they will be also assisting the Muggle Living class, I think more to keep an eye on Professor Dursley." He said with a grin. "Any questions?"

What seemed like hours later, they all had gone back to the dining hall for dinner and settled down for a nice evening meal.

Dumbledore stood before the assembly of students waiting for dinner to start and made an announcement. "I realized that I should have announced this earlier today, but I did not want to start your day off with too much of a shock." Murmurings scuttled through out the great hall as he continued, "We will not have our usual Halloween Feast next month."

Shocked rants could now be heard resounding though the Great Hall. "Settle down, I have the pleasure of announcing that instead this year in cooperation with our Muggle Living instructor, we will be having a true Celtic Samhain's Eve Celebration." He pronounced it as the Scottish dialect did as sha-heen, but even to the Irish they knew what the celebration was. "You will learn more as time grows closer, but you will have the opportunity to choose how you are going to be allowed to celebrate and how the variations of appropriate attire. It will be a very exciting event so, now… Tuck in…" and he waved his hands as the tables filled with food.

By the time they had gotten to the Gryffindor Common room, Hermione and Seamus were in a deep discussion about Samhain. Ron, Ginny, Dean and Harry were all eaves dropping on their conversation and when they all were settled began asking questions.

Seamus began to explain about "I haven't celebrated Samhain (he pronounced it as Sow-in) in ages!" he started, "Tis a night to celebrate the dead and the faerie. 'Tis the origin of All Hallows Eve, however, this is far truer than that holiday."

Hermione spoke up then, "I was told by a pen-pal friend of mine in Clonmel, and she told me that it is a night where the veil between the spirit world and mundane world is thinnest. They celebrate the return of loved ones and visitors of the spirit world." Hermione commented. "Brigid also told me more about the story of the pagan holiday, how it was the end of the Celtic year, that all harvests were brought in and the fields were turned for the coming winter. Then the Catholic Church considers the following day All Saint's Day at least, and then the following day is the Day of the Dead. The entire series of events circulate around life, death, and love and hate… all inspired by the faith of Pagans, Celts and Christians alike. As with all religious sects, each has it's own variation on a collective theme."

Seamus looked at Hermione and grinned... "Brigid from Clonmel? She wouldn't be one of the O'Donnell's from Clonmel."

"Yes she is... why?"

"Oy, I've known Brie since I was a wee lad." He and Hermione chatted a bit more about Brigid and how she attended the Clonmel Witches Academy in Ireland with one of Seamus' cousins on his mother's side. The Clonmel Academy was strictly for witches who wished to learn not only witchcraft but also the ancient Celtic Magic that was so common among many of the older Clans. It was part of this ancient Celtic magic, which Hermione knew Harry's mother had possessed.

Hermione could tell that Harry was going deep inside his head with all this discussion about death, she squeezed his hand as the others continued speaking and made contact with Harry's mind. With all the chitchat going on about Samhain, Harry had been thinking about death and immediately began to think about his parents and Sirius. His parent's death had been on Halloween 15 years before while Sirius had only been gone less then 3 months but he still felt the empty voids in his life.

'How you doing Harry?' She mentally thought to him.

'Just feeling like, I should be grieving more for Sirius. It's stupid I know.'

'You've grieved enough in your life, it is not stupid Harry. You know, when we celebrate Samhain's Eve this year it will give you a chance to find closure for not only Sirius, but also you parents.' She laid her head on his shoulder. 'You aren't alone Harry, I am here by your side.'

'It's too crowded in here, let's take a walk… I'll go get my invisibility cloak and we can take a walk around the lake or something.' Harry suggested.

'I got a better idea… you see that tapestry hanging over there' she motioned to a new tapestry of what looked like the Marauders minus Wormtail. 'Behind that tapestry is a passageway that will lead directly to the Hogwarts Home… Only you and Dudley have access to it. Your Aunt told me about it earlier and said if we ever needed someplace quiet to talk after hours we could go there.'

'She's awfully trusting isn't she…' Harry said as he got up and held his hand out for Hermione to get up.

'Well, she is using the Hogwarts Home as her living quarters, so it would be like us talking on your living room sofa with her in the other room. Besides, she trusts us both.'

'This is very true. Follow me up to the boys dorms and I am going to get the cloak anyway… it will make it easier to leave the common room unseen.'

With in a few minutes they had made their way to the Hogwarts Home and found it very cozy and warm. They heard a voice call out to them, "Good evening Harry and Hermione… I left some hot cocoa on the stove for you… I had a feeling you would come to the home tonight." Aunt Petunia said from the living room where she was practicing some charms with Remus.

"We don't want to intrude it's just so crowded and noisy in the common room…" Harry began to say.

"Harry dear, it's alright. I want you to feel like you have a safe haven here at school. That is why I told Hermione about the passageway. Why don't you kids get a cup of cocoa and go into the reading room… it's quiet in there and you can finish your discussion." Petunia said graciously.

"Have you been studying Legilimency?" Harry asked his Aunt.

"Be grateful that Remus told me about your Occlumency and what Legilimency was… and no I haven't ventured that far yet. Call it a mother's intuition… after the announcement for Samhain's eve I figured that you would be thinking about Sirius, Lily and James. And knowing our dear Hermione, she would be discussing this with you." Petunia said with a gentle smile.

Remus looked at the teens and gave them a smile as well… Harry figured that he was probably talking to his Aunt about Sirius as well as his parents. He could see his mom's journal on the table in front of them.

Hermione and Harry grabbed a couple of mugs of hot cocoa and headed into what his Aunt called the reading room. It was very similar to the library at the manor, except there was not a single book about witchcraft or wizardry in the room unless, it was a work of fiction or fantasy that dealt with the subject; some of the Muggle writers could be very imaginative. They sat down on the soft davenport that was in front of the fireplace and continued to talk.

"I'll tell you something… when Neville said that he could feel a pulse on you after you got injured in the Department of Mysteries… I felt so light headed, so relieved… I don't know what I would have done if you had died. Now Voldemort knows how close you are to me… and foolish me, now you are in even more danger."

"I've been in danger since the day we met Harry… From the moment I first felt love for you, I knew that I would do everything and anything I had to do... to help you with whatever you are destined to do" Hermione said laying her head back on his shoulder.

"And when pray tell was the first time you felt love for me?" Harry asked, but instead of a verbal answer, he got a mental image of Harry, thru Hermione's eyes, running and launching himself onto the giant club of the Mountain Troll.

"To me, you were more then the boy who I had read about in books or who people called the boy who lived... you were the bravest, most heroic, selfless person I could ever know... you risked everything for me..." Hermione said as she her voice cracked gently. They had discussed this before, but now it seemed right to go into more detail. "You didn't let Ron's loathing of me get in the way of trying to save me..."

"When I overheard Pavarti tell Lavender about you had been crying in the bathroom all afternoon... I knew that it was partly my fault. I really did care about your feelings back then, but there was so much animosity between you and Ron... and then Quirrell came in about the troll... and you just flashed in my mind as we were following Percy... But Mione, I was the one that turned the key... I had locked the troll in the bathroom forgetting you were there... That's when I when we had to undo what we did... and in all honesty, I knew I couldn't lose you not like that..." Harry rambled as he held his arms around Hermione tighter... "From the moment you walked into my life, I knew deep down you were to be part of me forever. But I didn't know what love was, never had it in my life growing up so I was completely, oh I don't know I guess, clueless to the emotions that raged on in me... From you and Ron, I learned what friendship was... especially you. Even when Ron and I weren't speaking to you because of the Firebolt, deep down, I could tell you were looking out for me. I don't think Ron ever saw that. That's the difference between you both."

Hermione turned her face towards Harry's and stared into his deep green eyes, "I hope that's not the only difference between us." She grinned.

"Nah, there's a lot of difference between you guys. However, I fell in love with... you, Ron's just not my type." Harry's face broke out into a huge smile. They both laughed. The cuddled together on the sofa in front of the fireplace and somewhere in their chatting, they both fell asleep in each other's arms.

Sometime in the night, Petunia had come in, seen them asleep and covered them with the blanket that had once protected Harry from the elements on the doorstep of #4 Privet Drive... It was actually a brat made of the plaid of Clan Potter; it was time it was returned to Harry and in time, he would learn more about his heritage.

Author's Note: (October 31, 2003) Well… the snow is coming down now… it's rather cold here (YES!) I know I am a sicko for loving this time of year and enjoy the SNOW! I was born in Colorado and I can never get enough of the snow… probably, due to the fact that I was raised in the Napa Valley… (for those geographically impaired) it's in California (that's that big state on the west coast of the United States) and 50 miles north of San Francisco (yup that beautiful shaky city!) … one of my all time favorite cities in the world!

I find it fitting that I am writing this chapter on Samhain's Eve… Hope you enjoy… I know its probably not the Samhain anymore (unless I get really lucky and upload on the same day!)

(Ok so I wasn't lucky!!! But I did rename the kitten Samhain… so it's Samhain here every day!)

(November 10, 2003) Well obviously I didn't get this uploaded when I wanted to… such is life.

(November 21, 2003) It's SNOWING again! I'm still writing… I may have to break this chapter up because of the detail in it, it's longer then I thought… As you can see I have placed my notes at the end… mainly because of the fact that not everyone wants to read what I have been up to and I still don't have a LiveJournal… (I'm working on that!)

The kitten is getting big, but somehow my kids who I speak with every day on the phone, have decided the kitten is a reincarnation of our old Siamese cat BONZAI!!! And will refer to Samhain (Shaw for short using the Scottish Sha-heen pronunciation) as BONZAI!!!. Heck, he even acts like BONZ did… he is hysterical and keeps me laughing at times which I need.

I'll probably upload part of this now… and then just continue the chapter into the next. I mean, goodness I am already over 6000 words just on this chapter alone… Ok so the Author's notes are probably about a thousand of it! LOL

I now have access to the Internet from here at home, using a Dial-up account while we get the other mess straightened out with my MSN account… so updates should be more frequent… (Did I just jinx myself with that?)

(Later on November 21, 2003) I guess I did jinx myself… ROFL I can't get onto Portkey right now so… I will upload this as soon as I can!

Hugs and Kisses…

As Always,

Muirnin, Queen Mother-Royal Family of Cliffies

(the very frustrated writer!)

With loving support by my sometime co-writers and Betas…

Becky, First Princess-Royal Family of Cliffies

*¤*.¸¸.·´¨`"*"´¨`·. ¸¸.*¤*.¸¸.·´¨`"*"´¨`·. ¸¸.*¤*

Lisa, the Lovely Alluring Lady-Royal Family of Cliffies

*¤*.¸¸.·´¨`"*"´¨`·. ¸¸.*¤*.¸¸.·´¨`"*"´¨`·. ¸¸.*¤*

Founders - KFUFHP - Kindred Fellowship United for Harry Potter

"An imaginative mind is a terrible thing to waste..."

@}>---'---,---

Please Review… Thanks; I will try to respond to reviewers if e-mail is left… I'm trying to catch up on all the awesome reviews you have left!!!!