Unofficial Portkey Archive

Anything for Love by coriander
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Anything for Love

coriander

Chapter 15

I am still in shock. I really don't understand how I am still here. I thought Arthur would have laid into me after I told him the truth. He told Harry he hated him. I was waiting for him to say the same thing to me. I don't deserve his love. Really, I don't. I just guess that to a nine-year-old, your dad is your dad; he has his faults, but he's still your dad and you love him anyway. I don't think that Arthur and I will be as close as we could have been, but I know he still loves me and he knows I still love him. Whatever wall is built, we will be able to climb it in time.

He is quiet. It scares me. I know I should be feeling this way, but it's still a bit disconcerting. I screwed up. I admitted it. Why is he not yelling at me? Why did he make sure I knew he loved me? I just don't understand. I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I can't help but feel wrong that Arthur doesn't hate me,

I walk in silence across the living room toward the kitchen, as I wait for Arthur to catch up, I hear a bit of the conversation on the other side of the door…

"I'm sorry, Hermione. I don't want to pull you and Arthur apart." I can tell that he is still upset. His voice sounds strained.

"Harry, stop this. Arthur will get over it. I need you right now. I can't do this without you. I have never been happier and I want this baby to be…"

Baby? BABY? Holy shit, that's not what I ever expected to hear. No wonder she was so upset about Arthur. Arthur! I turn around and see him standing behind me, waiting for me to open the door. I don't know how long we have been standing there, but by the look on his face, it was probably too long.

"Arthur?" I ask hesitantly, testing to see if his is just annoyed at me or if he actually heard what I heard.

"C'mon, Dad. Why are we standing out here?" I am speechless. He didn't hear it. Did he?

He starts to push past me, but I grab him before he can. "Why don't you go wake up your sister. Let me talk to your mum for a minute. Maybe you and Candace and I can go out for dinner. OK?"

He jumps toward the stairs. "That sounds great, Dad. I'll get Candi. We'll be right down." He bounds excitedly up the stairs, and I turn to enter the kitchen.

When I enter the room I look closely at the couple sitting at the table. Harry is sitting in the same place that I found him almost an hour ago and Hermione is leaning against him. His face is buried in his crossed arms, she has her arm wrapped around him and her forehead resting against his temple. They still haven't noticed my presence. I softly pad over to the table and sit across from them. Only when I clear my throat, do either of them look up.

"Hi, Ron." Hermione says softly. "How did it go?"

"I think it went all right. He knows what really happened. I don't think he hates you anymore, Harry, but give him a little time to come out and say it."

Harry nods into his arms before he looks up at me and says, "Thanks."

"No problem mate. I know I messed up. I have apologized again and again, but I know that we are both happier now." I catch Hermione's smile out of the corner of my eye. "I just think it will take Arthur a little getting used to it."

"Where is Arthur, anyway?"

I look at my beautiful wife, no ex-wife. She is beautiful and the more I look at her, I can see it in her eyes. She is glowing. I speak softly. "I wanted to talk to you two and sent him upstairs to wake up Candace."

Hermione's eyes cloud over slightly. "What do you want to talk to us about, Ron?"

I smile brightly. "Congratulations."

"Excuse me? Congratulations for what?" Harry asked with raised eyebrows.

I look at my best friend and then back to my former love. They do deserve to be happy. I am not jealous. I am not upset. I am truly happy for them. Harry has always wanted a family. I am glad that our Hermione can give that to him. I look into Hermione's brown eyes, "I heard a bit of your conversation. I know."

She looks at me, a flash of shock passing through her eyes. "What are you talking about, Ron?"

I can't help but laugh at her. Harry's face is staring at me disbelieving. "Hermione, I heard you talk about the baby. I can see it in your eyes. You are glowing. Congratulations."

Harry lets out a huge sigh. "Did Arthur hear?" I can understand his apprehension. Not two hours ago, my son hated him. Now you add this shocking news to the mix and all hell could break loose.

I shake my head. "No, I don't think so. That's why I sent him upstai…"

"Daddy!" I turn to look at my beautiful little girl, her red curls bouncing as she ran toward me.

"Hi, Candi cane." She jumps into my arms and hugs me tightly. I miss my family. Why didn't I realize it sooner? No, I can't think about that. Hermione is happy with Harry and I am happy with Lavender. I just miss my kids.

"Are you taking us to dinner?" she asks sweetly. I look at the questioning looks on Harry and Hermione's faces.

"Is that all right? I thought you might want some alone time. You know to talk about everything…" My eyebrows waggle of their own accord.

Hermione shakes her head and looks at Harry. She angles her head and raises an eyebrow at him. She is asking him a silent question. Maybe she'll take me up on the offer of giving them some time.

"Why don't we all go?" My jaw drops. What does she have up her sleeve? The small redhead in my lap smiles and nods enthusiastically, while the sandy haired boy by the door rolls his eyes.

I think Harry noticed it too. "Mione, I think Ron needs some time alone with the kids. They miss him. I think they need this." Hermione looks at him and her shoulders slump slightly, but she acquiesces.

She looks at the kids and then back at me and nods. Her smile seems forced. I know she is apprehensive. Honestly, I would be disappointed if she wasn't.

"Its only dinner and maybe ice cream, Mione. I'll have them home by nine." I look at her pleadingly, using those puppy-dog eyes that always get me what I want.

"All right, but no later than nine." I smile at her as she tells the kids to get their shoes and jackets.

After the kids disappear through the door, I turn back to the couple across the table. I catch Hermione's eye.

"Ron, are you sure you're all right with this?" she motions her hands between herself and my best friend. I nod and wink at her. "I'm sorry Ron."

"Oh gods, Hermione. Don't apologize for anything. I know that it didn't happen until after the papers were signed. I'm not upset at all. I am very happy for you. You both deserve all the happiness in the world. I am just glad that you both could find it. I apologize for hindering the inevitable longer than it should have been. You two should have been together at Hogwarts. I fell in love with you and when Harry wouldn't take the chance, I jumped on it. I knew then, somewhere in my heart, that you two were meant to be."

I can't look at Hermione. I can see the tears welling in her eyes. Harry wraps his arm around her and she leans into him. I smile. "I think this baby is the luckiest child on earth. Not only will he or she have Candace and Arthur for siblings, but it'll have you two for parents. I hope you're better at it that I was, Harry." My voice is scratchy and my eyes are burning. Where did that come from?

"Ron, you're a good dad." Harry whispers. I don't think he can talk much louder with the emotions I can hear behind his voice.

I shake my head. "I screwed up, Harry. I hope over time, I can make up for it. But I know where I am lacking, you will pick up the slack."

"Ron, I don't want to take your place. I just want them to let me love them. I want to make them happy. If it ends up that they don't want to live with me and rather live with you, I won't stand in their way. You are their dad. That will never change and I never want it to." He stands up and hugs me. Harry, Mr. Non-public-display-of-affection, Potter is hugging me. "Thank you for trusting me, Ron."

"How could I not trust you, Harry? You have saved my arse more times that I care to count. I know you will treat my family well. Their your family now too."

Suddenly another pair of arms wraps around the two of us. Harry and I let go enough to pull Hermione into the group embrace. This is the way it is meant to be. The trio. How it used to be. These two people have been with me through too many adventures for me to deny them anything. I would give them the world. If Harry would have asked for me to give up Hermione for him, it would have been hard for me not to. I would give him anything to show him how much he means to me. He is my brother. I have never thought him less than that.

"I love you two," I say through my strained voice.

I hear a murmur from around my chest which I assume is Hermione's reciprocation of my words. Harry pats me on the back and pulls away, "I love you too, mate."

I can't help but laugh when I feel little arms wrap around my legs. I lean down and pick Candace up. She hugs us and smiles. She is so sweet. Hermione kisses our daughter on the cheek and tells her to be good. Hermione kisses me on the cheek and thanks me.

I start to walk out the door with my daughter in my arms in search of my son. I am stunned stiff when I see him enveloped in Harry's arms. I hear a soft, 'I'm sorry," and Harry musses up the boy's hair. Harry nods at him and repeats to Arthur Hermione's words to Candace. I smile back at them as I guide the kids out the door to dinner. This is the way it is supposed to be, were one big happy family. Disfunctional at best, but we're family.